Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

It was an exciting game to watch!  The host didn't matter.  Why would people forego the fun of watching if [insert name here] is hosting?

Hah! Mileage does vary! Too many games like that and I'd need to stop watching for my health!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As someone who actively fought for the ERA in the day (which still hasn't been passed BTW), I find such comments so ... well, not welcome in modern times

Me too! Taking to Small Talk...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Matt and Emily exchange tweets demonstrating that kindness and good sportsmanship do still exist:

Thanks for that @shapeshifter. It is indeed important we be reminded that players are real living people with feelings. That exchange showed what kind humans exist under the images we see on television. Words matter.

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, SweetSable said:

I can't believe I missed a Kit Carson reference!  Would someone fill me in on it please, and thank you.

Category was "The First Name Their Mom Chose" and the clue was "Frontiersman Kit Carson & actor Kit Harington"

Spoiler

Answer was Christopher

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I have seen the phrase connected to Boston's Great Molasses Flood

I doubt that is the origin of the phrase.  According to this, the molasses was moving at 35 miles per hour, much faster than people can run.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Driad said:

I doubt that is the origin of the phrase.  According to this, the molasses was moving at 35 miles per hour, much faster than people can run.

Indeed, although I thought it was possibly a sardonic reference.  That would be just like some of my New England family members.

You inspired me to do some quick research, and I found the phrase used many times in newspapers going back to the 1870s.  So the Boston catastrophe was just a sad coincidence.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:
1 hour ago, SweetSable said:

I can't believe I missed a Kit Carson reference!  Would someone fill me in on it please, and thank you.

Category was "The First Name Their Mom Chose" and the clue was "Frontiersman Kit Carson & actor Kit Harington"

Thanks.

17 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

If I ever get back on the show, I promise somehow I will answer Kit Carson to something. 

Me, too.  In fact, we should all swear to do that, lol.

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I saw Spinks, thought I recognized him, but didn't say it out loud because I wasn't sure of the timeline.

I knew it was a Spinks but couldn't remember whether it was Leon or Michael.  Although I probably could've just said Spinks and they'd have accepted it.

16 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was sorry nobody quite got "slower than molasses in January."  It's one of my father's (late 60s) favorite turns of phrase, which I (late 20s) now use too.

I've never heard it any other way, but I'm sure there are regional variations.

16 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I have seen the phrase connected to Boston's Great Molasses Flood, when over 2 million gallons burst forth from a storage tank, killing 21 people.  That was in January 1919, but whether that's a true etymology or a later connection, I couldn't say.

Weird bit of trivia: I am related to one of the journalists who covered the Great Molasses Flood for the papers in Boston.

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

How about this thread concentrate on the game and not what Mayim is wearing.  Why are women's clothes so world and earth shaking when no one cares that men wear the same thing day after month after year.

We discuss just about every aspect of the performances on Jeopardy, including what the host and contestants are wearing, both male and female.  Personally I care more about her vaccine hesitancy and her shilling for a fake brain supplement, but if people want to talk about her dowdy wardrobe, that's their right.

7 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

It was an exciting game to watch!  The host didn't matter.  Why would people forego the fun of watching if [insert name here] is hosting?

Because people watch Jeopardy for a variety of reasons and can choose to watch or not if they want.  Like when I chose not to watch because I can't stand the champion.  Why would that bother anyone else?  I'm not telling them they can't watch just because I'm not watching.

52 minutes ago, Driad said:

Plus there are examples of the phrase or something very similar being used in the late 19th century.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was sorry nobody quite got "slower than molasses in January."  It's one of my father's (late 60s) favorite turns of phrase, which I (late 20s) now use too.  I never have a problem being understood, but I guess recalling it independently is a different skill.

That's one that it seems like I've known forever as well.  I've heard it without the reference to January at all, but never to any other month.  I may likely have learned it from my 5th grade teacher, the same place I learned "in two shakes of a dead lamb's tail".  On the other hand, I doubt she was the source of my knowledge of "coals to Newcastle".

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That's one that it seems like I've known forever as well.  I've heard it without the reference to January at all, but never to any other month.  I may likely have learned it from my 5th grade teacher, the same place I learned "in two shakes of a dead lamb's tail".  On the other hand, I doubt she was the source of my knowledge of "coals to Newcastle".

I'm another one who has heard about molasses in January but I forgive all three players for not knowing what's in my brain since I don't know a fraction of what's in theirs. Ouch to your teacher saying that's a dead lamb with the shaking tail. Although thinking about it, having raised sheep for a number of years, my lambs didn't have any tails to shake past a few days of age.

My mom told this joke when I was so young. I didn't understand it until I was much older. Three moles are in their burrow. One sticks his head out and says, "I smell pancakes." The second mole sticks his head out and says "I smell pancakes." The third mole can't get past the other two. He says "I smell molasses."

I first heard the phrase about coals to Newcastle from J! and this thread. But when the clue was replayed on the tournament rerun, I STILL couldn't answer it. Short-term memory loss.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

J! 60%: Ran Common Defense and General Welfare, got one each in We and The People and three each in the other two categories. Got the DD.

DJ! 63%: Ran Broadway, missed one each in Inventors and Mars. Got both DDs and the TS of piano (not sure if there were others).

FJ! No love tonight in FJ. Final score: 61%

(But I got 100% on the J!6 game.)

They should not have given her "air bags"…the clue asked what "SAB" was; she didn't give the S. A BMS was warranted at the very least.

Edited by ams1001
typo
  • Love 4

The side air bags clue was quite particular, between the initialism and specifying side impacts, so I was annoyed at the lack of a BMS prompt when the contestant just said "air bags".

I'm normally very good at vocabulary categories, but I missed three in "we".  Other than that, I had a good first round, just missing two in people and one in union.

Not so good in DJ.  Not terrible, as I missed eight, but I didn't run a single category and I was again suffering an odd vocabulary deficit; three of those misses were in words.

I correctly guessed FJ, but it was much more lucky than educated.  Still, it counts!

• Love 2

Sorry, but I'm still fuming over the fact that, yet again, Matt was given special treatment. He flubbed the response "Hard Knocks Life" then corrected himself and was ruled correct. Then, seconds later, Odessa made almost the exact same mistake (an incorrect S, but I don't remember the response) and was immediately ruled incorrect. What the actual hell? I can only hope that this is a product of Mike Richards' terrible reign and things will be better once he's gone. Fingers crossed!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Chellichik said:

Please tell me I am not the only one who can’t stand Matt Amodio.

11 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

I don't know. I think he's pretty awesome.  I love winning streaks and hope he keeps going for a long time.

We seem to be pretty evenly split here between Matt lovers and haters. I love winning streaks too, but I'm not crazy about all the runaway games. Last night I almost turned it off partway through DJ when the outcome became obvious.

3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Sorry, but I'm still fuming over the fact that, yet again, Matt was given special treatment. He flubbed the response "Hard Knocks Life" then corrected himself and was ruled correct. Then, seconds later, Odessa made almost the exact same mistake (an incorrect S, but I don't remember the response) and was immediately ruled incorrect. What the actual hell? I can only hope that this is a product of Mike Richards' terrible reign and things will be better once he's gone. Fingers crossed!

I think Matt corrected himself right away and Odessa didn't. Can someone reconfirm with playback? Mike Richards has his share of sins, but I didn't note favoritism as one of them. 

• Love 8

Re the side airbags answer, the wording of the answer provided "side"  to the point where I was not sure whether to include it with the rest of the question. Perhaps that is why the judges ruled in favor of the contestant.  I can't find last night's questions anywhere, or I'd have provided the exact verbiage. (If anyone wants to point me towards an up-to-date site, I'll go get it.)

SAB capture1.JPG

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I think Matt corrected himself right away and Odessa didn't. Can someone reconfirm with playback? Mike Richards has his share of sins, but I didn't note favoritism as one of them. 

Matt did correct himself, taking a total of 4 seconds to answer, which Alex would have accepted, so no "special treatment."
However, Odessa may have been robbed of a second to correct herself, which may reflect on Mike Richards' upbringing or other influences regarding his well-documented ways of interacting with women. Or, MR may have just wanted to keep the game moving along; he did give her a second of silence during which she did not offer a correction, as Matt too has had happen on previous games. Matt does not always get it right.
I've never done a clip before, so hopefully this will work for you: https://youtube.com/clip/Ugyv8irbBxeoenAi-Gd4AaABCQ

ETA: I can understand why someone watching those 2 questions in quick succession might compare them as being unfair, but Matt's ruling was definitely fair.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I figure if I could watch Dr. Oz for two weeks, I can watch one week of Richards - and enjoy a little schadenfreude along the way.

I tried to quote myself, but didn't get any options, so I had to copy and paste. I was so thrilled that "shadenfreude" was in the final Mike Richards game that I clapped my hands in glee. A perfect ending.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew as soon as I saw the FJ category that I would not get FJ, and I was correct.  I had no clue.

I didn't get any TS, either.  Not my best night.

And no, Mike, we won't see you Monday.  

19th century presidents and Whigs. Knew absolutely that I would not get FJ. So I threw out an objectionable president. When Mr. Starling - his hobby is presidential history - said "you're right," I actually gasped! So yay me.

We laughed at the end of Jeopardy (schadenfreude, you know). Throughout the show, Mr. S was "last contestant interview," "last break," etc. (not in that order).

I don't remember if I did very well, and without J!Archive, I can't refresh my memory. ☹️

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't remember if I did very well, and without J!Archive, I can't refresh my memory. ☹️

I *really* miss J!Archive too! ☹️☹️

If you click on the clip link I posted just above your post, you should be able to get to the full YouTube of Friday's game by "rewinding" after you get past the ad. 

I'm not sure if it violates copyright to post a link to an entire game on YouTube? (I figured the "clip" link was more in keeping with the spirit of copyright law.)

But having to carry my laptop around while it runs through the entire game is the opposite of a methodical search in J!Archive. ☹️

Here--at least--are the categories for Friday:
click to enlarge if necessary--and many many thanks to @saber5055 "the genius" for explaining how to make images on primetimer display not obnoxiously large!

E_f_EbCVIAIwJkN?format=jpg

Capture.thumb.JPG.7ffc7bb411816af65e07f4a3924bef3d.JPG

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I dont mind Matt.  Seems like a nice guy and obviously bright and good at the game.  And plays smart.  Bets big early with the daily double to build a big lead and later cuts back bets little. 

He was lucky last night, was lacking at the beginning of DJ, finally gets in in one and then immediately gets the DD. 

He will lose because he will miss a big DD and/or someone else will get it instead of him and get a lead.  He's not unbeatable just very consistent. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I tried to quote myself, but didn't get any options, so I had to copy and paste. I was so thrilled that "shadenfreude" was in the final Mike Richards game that I clapped my hands in glee. A perfect ending.

According to another post, Matt has to win 36 more games to be able to film with Ken as host. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

According to another post, Matt has to win 36 more games to be able to film with Ken as host. 

As someone posted on TJF, it would be awesome for Matt to win his 75th game with Ken as host. I'd pay money to see that.

Thanks for that great clip @ams1001. That made me laugh so early in my morning.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah, I'm not as nice as some think. 😈

It's probably just because you're going through J!Archive withdrawl.

I am concerned that whoever keeps up the site and database has decided this is the moment to retire and that, unlike WRT wannabe Jeopardy! hosts, there are no takers in the wings to support it going forward. 😢

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am concerned that whoever keeps up the site and database has decided this is the moment to retire and that, unlike WRT wannabe Jeopardy! hosts, there are no takers in the wings to support it going forward. 😢

Apparently he was using the break to do some coding updates or something and it's taking longer than anticipated.

Edit: someone posted a link from somewhere else a few days ago, I think, but he also posted on reddit 

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Apparently he was using the break to do some coding updates or something and it's taking longer than anticipated.

Yes, I read that on one of these threads. But sometimes that's the beginning of the end. 😟

Is there a link to where this coder posts or a handle they use on Twitter? 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Chellichik said:

Please tell me I am not the only one who can’t stand Matt Amodio.

I can stand Matt Amodio; however, there are a greater number of things about him than usual that I find annoying or irritating.

1) What’s

2) His flat affect

3) Runaway games

4) Pattern of picking high-dollar clues first, and bouncing around the board

As well as other things, but I won’t pick it all apart.

There are also things that are endearing, such as him usually being a good sport, and friendly exchanges with the other contestants.

Overall not a favorite player, but not the worst either.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

My 14-year old has been calling him Matt Imodium since his first game 😂

If there were a Mad magazine parody of J!, that would be his name. The magazine was perfectly geared to a 14 year old's sense of humor (though I kept reading and enjoying it until the 2000's, when I was waaaay over 14).

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I am beyond tired of hearing about levar Burton and jeopardy. 

He was subpar as a guest host.  The fans who insist it should be him hosting just because they think he somehow is entitled to it based on their social media campaign are annoying.  His campaign to be host was annoying.  And now he says well I dont want the job I'll host my own show.  

Fine. Go away and shut up about it. You aren't getting the job. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/levar-burton-jeopardy-host-1235067378/

I generally dislike him now because of all this.  Acted like a spoiled entitled twit the whole time.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It feels like most of the folks pumping for LeVar don't even watch Jeopardy!.

I'm annoyed whenever I see a post/headline saying he was a "fan favorite"...they neglect to mention that he was only a fan favorite among LeVar Burton fans. He was on The Daily Show last week one night and I barely listened to the interview because they were talking a lot about Jepoardy and I was just like, "dude, you were never up for that job; just stop."

• Love 8