Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If I read the look on Matt’s face correctly, he  quickly computed that it was faster to say the acronym and was prepared to “be more specific,” and then MR decided (likely for time too) not to say, “be more specific.”

Have we heard any of the guest hosts say “be more specific”? I think so, but they’ve skipped a lot—again, probably because they’re struggling to get through the clues in time. 

Question to all:  Who makes the determination to ask for a "BMS"?  Does the query come from the host, or from the judges by way of the earpiece?    I always presumed the judges were asking for the additional info, not the host him/herself.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Question to all:  Who makes the determination to ask for a "BMS"?  Does the query come from the host, or from the judges by way of the earpiece?    I always presumed the judges were asking for the additional info, not the host him/herself.

I'm pretty sure they go over the questions beforehand. wouldn't want the host to stumble over pronunciation and stuff after all.  If I were in charge of the show, I would use that opportunity to point out any names that need a first AND last or if you anticipate possibly getting an incomplete answer to flag it then and say "you'll need a BMS."  For instance if there's a question where the answer will be cardinal, but it's worded in such a way that you think someone might try to just answer bird, you would say that needs to be cardinal (sorry I couldn't think of an actual good example off the top of my head).  If they do do that, it's possible nobody thought someone would answer AHA and of course, for 60 questions you probably can't come up with every possible contingency.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

There is a link in the Media thread, but it looks like Mayim and Ken will be trading off hosting duties until the end of the year.  Much better idea than a revolving door of guest hosts.

Cheaper for them too! With the guest hosts, J! matched winnings to give to a charity (yes, I know, it was probably deductible). With Ken, MR, and Buzzy, there was no charity involved.

1 hour ago, Tunia said:

It depends; sometimes it would be obvious more is needed and sometimes it would be known because they discussed it in the rundown, so in those cases the host would ask, unprompted.  But sometimes it wouldn't be clear, and the host would look over for instruction.  And sometimes the host is too quick to accept an answer that shouldn't have been accepted, and the judges have to step in and overrule, and then we get the on-air explanation of the score change.

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

the closed captioning interpreted it as "Ringling."

I never go by what the closed captioning says - mine has given me some doozies.  But I didn't hear an extra syllable when he answered, either.

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

There is a link in the Media thread, but it looks like Mayim and Ken will be trading off hosting duties until the end of the year.  Much better idea than a revolving door of guest hosts.

Ugh.  I didn't particularly care for either of them as host.  At this point, the producers should just choose someone and be done with it.  (Like, say, Buzzy.)

• Love 9
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

I never go by what the closed captioning says - mine has given me some doozies.  But I didn't hear an extra syllable when he answered, either.

I heard it, but I didn't think it was intentional. Seemed more like an artifact of the G and L sounds next to each other. I said it out loud several times and that -a- sound just sort of appeared.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I heard it, but I didn't think it was intentional. Seemed more like an artifact of the G and L sounds next to each other. I said it out loud several times and that -a- sound just sort of appeared.

And now I'm sitting at my desk whispering "Ringling" to myself.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm pretty sure they go over the questions beforehand. wouldn't want the host to stumble over pronunciation and stuff after all.   <snip>

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It depends; sometimes it would be obvious more is needed and sometimes it would be known because they discussed it in the rundown, so in those cases the host would ask, unprompted.  <snip>

Thank you both!

• Love 1

Okay, I'm outta here until Matt loses.  I just can't take it anymore.  I'll check the comments and the archive, but I just can't listen to his flat voice any longer.

I had no idea for FJ.  My answer was some British kid obsessed with Deep Space Nine.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

Matt in the red?!?! He scared me for a few minutes there!

Tonight's scores: 63% / 63% / 64%

Round 1: I ran C Flat and missed one in William Henry Harrison Administration. 

Round 2: Ran Science & Medicine and missed one Book.

Geography is not my category tonight; I got one River City and nothing in Central Europe. No DDs, either, but I did get the TSes of January and Alfred (which I only remember because they were right at the end). 

I did get FJ; wasn't confident but I thought of her first and couldn't think of anything else that made sense. I didn't actually say it out loud but since I'm the only one here I'm giving it to myself.

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, I'm outta here until Matt loses.  I just can't take it anymore.  I'll check the comments and the archive, but I just can't listen to his flat voice any longer.

J!Archive isn't back up yet..is there any other place to get the full game?

• Love 2

Kit Carson shoutout!

It would be an archive game for me since I'll be watching football, but the archive is still down, so I found a recording online.

The Leon Spinks and Joe Frazier TS both surprised me a bit; those are two pieces of trivia that seem to come up fairly frequently on the show.  Poke was another one I wasn't anticipating going unanswered.

I wish they'd shown Matt's reaction to learning his missed DD was kickstarter, because I was surprised he didn't figure that one out and wanted to see if he had an oh, of course! face when it was revealed.

I missed one each in rivers and Harrison, but got everything else in the first round.  I did well in DJ, too, missing three in books, two in prime, and one in names.

I knew FJ instantly, but what I initially said was Mahala.  I knew that wasn't right, but somehow that's what my brain sent to my mouth before correcting itself.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Not only that, but today's Chicago Tribune had a big story on Emily being on Jeopardy. Since they never seem to have a story about any other Chicago (or Chicago area) contestants (unless they are multi-day champs and are about to lose), I figured it was a sign that Matt was going to lose to Emily (article due to the fact she was a "giant killer").

• Love 2

I did not get FJ.

I got the missed clues of Joe Frasier, January (my mom says that all the time), and Alfred.

I got the entire category of science right.  I would have gotten the entire category of Harrison, but I found out tonight that I have never known, nor thought, about what SS stands for.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

He got my hopes up for a few minutes there!  Too bad he recovered.

I spent most of the FJ think time trying to figure out how old Malala was in 2009, and if it could be her, and in the end, just said, "Guess I'll go with Malala."  I was a little surprised that I was correct.

Kit Carson!  Our mascot!  

The only TS I got was January.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Matt in the red?!?! He scared me for a few minutes 

Got my hopes up until the DD in DJ.

16 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I was so happy after the first round and then my hopes were dashed. 

Me too!

12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

He got my hopes up for a few minutes there!  Too bad he recovered.

Yup!

Kit Carson shout out!

• Love 4

One of the best geroge Carlin jokes about ali :

Ali had a strange job, beating people up. Then the government wanted him to change jobs.  They wanted him to kill people.  He said no, I'll beat them up but I don't want to kill them. So the government said well if you won't kill them, we won't let you beat them up

Impressive comeback in double Jeopardy. 

• Love 12

Watching Mayim Bialik hosting reruns. I like her as host. Hate to be all judgy-judgy but I hope Jeopardy provides a stylist and wardrobe for Amy Farrah Fowler. And that she accepts their advise…or perhaps that is what is off with her fashion???? Your thoughts? 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

So happy that Matt rallied and won!!! 

Agree with this.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

😧 I know!

When Matt said “What’s crochet?”  
I yelled “Cross stitch! Cross stitch!!”      

And then when he bet everything on motorcycles, I yelled, “No! That’s not your category!”

And then, mercifully, the round was over, and I thought of Buzzy reminding the TOC players during the recent rereuns how he had $0 going into Day 2 of the 2-day contest and yet he won.

Whew!

But, again, I liked both of the challengers too. 

• Love 12

I was sorry nobody quite got "slower than molasses in January."  It's one of my father's (late 60s) favorite turns of phrase, which I (late 20s) now use too.  I never have a problem being understood, but I guess recalling it independently is a different skill.

Matt's motorcycle DD threw me too.  I thought "kickstand" for a k-named implement on a bicycle, then the online fundraising clue made me think more of GoFundMe than Kickstarter.  Maybe he will be a bit more conservative next time it's not "his" category.

No bearing on the game, but I think "Keisha Virtue" is a wonderful name.  It sounds, if not like a superhero, like a cartoon character who teaches good manners.

37 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was pretty sure it was Malala but I was afraid they would want her last name.

Ditto.  I got within a letter and think they would have taken it, but I would have been pretty nervous.  I would not have thought to go with the mononym.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

No bearing on the game, but I think "Keisha Virtue" is a wonderful name

I loved her name too.

They shoot 5 days in one day, right? Poor Matt. Tomorrow is the end of a long week. 
Does anyone know offhand if longtime champions tend to lose on Fridays? 🙁

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I was sorry nobody quite got "slower than molasses in January."

I could have sworn it was February. It's always a bit dicey when they have sayings like that, because there often is regional variation.

Laughed at the Kit Carson mention.

After a disappointing start to the season, today's FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 3
Just now, secnarf said:

I could have sworn it was February. It's always a bit dicey when they have sayings like that, because there often is regional variation.

Good point!  My father is from Chicago.  I think it's also January in "Gone with the Wind." I haven't heard it any other way, but that doesn't mean anything.

I have seen the phrase connected to Boston's Great Molasses Flood, when over 2 million gallons burst forth from a storage tank, killing 21 people.  That was in January 1919, but whether that's a true etymology or a later connection, I couldn't say.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Matt's motorcycle DD threw me too.  I thought "kickstand" for a k-named implement on a bicycle, then the online fundraising clue made me think more of GoFundMe than Kickstarter.  

I had the same thought process...then wanted to kick myself.

4 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Laughed at the Kit Carson mention.

Me, too. So do we call him Christopher in the future?

• LOL 4

I read this article about Mayim's fashion choices at the beginning of her run as guest host.  

https://www.thelist.com/248835/the-stunning-transformation-of-mayim-bialik/

1 hour ago, Glitches said:

Watching Mayim Bialik hosting reruns. I like her as host. Hate to be all judgy-judgy but I hope Jeopardy provides a stylist and wardrobe for Amy Farrah Fowler. And that she accepts their advise…or perhaps that is what is off with her fashion???? Your thoughts? 

My FJ streak was broken today so I am now firmly ensconced in my comfortable and newly reupholstered chair at the head of the FJ T41. It's where I belong!

Shout out to @JudyObscure!

I had a LOL at Matt's face after he answered his $10,000 DD correctly.

If I had read my Wednesday newsfeed before the show instead of afterward, I would have known that 9/15/1978 was when Ali defeated Spinks to capture the heavyweight title for the historic third time. Side note: Yesterday was also Agatha Christie's 131st birthday.

KIT CARSON!

Because of posts here, I paid attention to MR's face. His forehead does move/wrinkle when his eyebrows go up.

How about this thread concentrate on the game and not what Mayim is wearing.  Why are women's clothes so world and earth shaking when no one cares that men wear the same thing day after month after year. As someone who actively fought for the ERA in the day (which still hasn't been passed BTW), I find such comments so ... well, not welcome in modern times. #MeToo

• Love 18

I've only ever heard "slow as molasses" or "slower than molasses" without any month attached, but for the clue that obviously called for a winter month, I correctly guessed January.

I can understand why, like the other two contestants who also didn't know the specific phrase and were just calling out cold months, Emily opted not to even try, though. 

And, like someone else said, I think Keisha Virtue is a great name.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So do we call him Christopher in the future?

Only if there's a possibility of his being confused with this guy.

I was briefly obsessed with heavyweight boxing in the 70s and so knew Leon Spinks and Joe Frazier. I also knew poke, January, and Alfred, but blanked on FJ.

Wow, that game was actually in doubt until almost the end!

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

It was an exciting game to watch!  The host didn't matter.  Why would people forego the fun of watching if [insert name here] is hosting?

Yes, I am skeptical when people say they will stop watching if a candidate they don't like gets the job.

• Love 3

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of science right.  I would have gotten the entire category of Harrison, but I found out tonight that I have never known, nor thought, about what SS stands for.

Same here, nice little nugget of knowledge. I think I'll keep it.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I have never heard that expression about molasses in January. What I've always heard is "molasses on the tundra".

Different region?

I saw Spinks, thought I recognized him, but didn't say it out loud because I wasn't sure of the timeline.

Got nothing for FJ. Mr Starling got it right away. I'm somewhat ashamed. I didn't think of Deep Space Nine, but now that it's been mentioned, maybe that had something to do with it. 😄

Without J!, I don't know how well I did as I'm too busy watching to keep track. Great multitasker at work, not so great at home.

• Love 4