Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

30 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

It seems to me that every time a Jeptestant goes on an extraordinary winning streak, there are people who dislike him (it's rarely a her). That includes James, Austin (of course), even Buzzy, whom I thought, and still think, would make a great J! host.

There have been female winners I disliked as well (Jackie) but you’re absolutely right.  I liked Austin, didn’t mind James, and absolutely loathed Buzzy’s contestant persona.  So I was surprised to agree that he was one of the best guest hosts and would make an excellent permanent host!  In the current champion’s case it’s just his gameplay method that puts me off not a personality thing.

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Love 2

I think Matt's smile is cute. I also like the super winners. Eventually, someone will beat him and Jeopardy will move on. 

I'd like to see Buzzy stay as host. He might bring in a younger audience. I'm tired of commercials for laxatives and prescription drugs. Right now, we're also getting political ads about candidates threatening to take away Medicare and whatever. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

if the contestants in this new season already know of Matt's winning streak, I would think they are probably disappointed to show up for taping and he walks in as the reigning champion. 

I believe this week's shows were filmed Aug. 19. This is a shorter turnaround time than usual, but these are unusual times. Matt's season 37 shows aired July 21-Aug. 13.

I like Matt just fine and find his presence a nice constant during this time of turmoil in the show.

• Love 8

I don't pay attention to music so didn't notice a new opening medley. Andy posted on TJF that the curtain backdrop harks back to Art Fleming's day. Some of you old crocks on this thread can verify that. As for those changes, Andy also noted that people are creatures of habit and we don't like any changes to what we are used to. My dogs are also creatures of habit — they wake up at the same time every day and expect to eat at the same time also. I hear about it if I am late with their requests. And some of my dogs don't take a shine to certain people, so they are the same as we are in that respect as well. Plus, add my horse to the creature-of-habit mix, she wants to eat at the same time every day and will get quite vocal about it if I am late. We're all not so different in the big scheme of things.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don't pay attention to music so didn't notice a new opening medley. Andy posted on TJF that the curtain backdrop harks back to Art Fleming's day. Some of you old crocks on this thread can verify that. As for those changes, Andy also noted that people are creatures of habit and we don't like any changes to what we are used to. My dogs are also creatures of habit — they wake up at the same time every day and expect to eat at the same time also. I hear about it if I am late with their requests. And some of my dogs don't take a shine to certain people, so they are the same as we are in that respect as well. Plus, add my horse to the creature-of-habit mix, she wants to eat at the same time every day and will get quite vocal about it if I am late. We're all not so different in the big scheme of things.

Okay, I remember watching Art Fleming (I remember thinking that new guy is much too lightweight/frivolous to be his successor, but I guess I got used to him).  But if anyone can remember the curtain backdrop from Art's day without extensive research, you deserve better than to be called an "old crock"  :)  Unless maybe you pushed things like your kids' birthdays out of your memory space in order to retain it.

• LOL 6

First, I like Matt.  I find it fascinating how people have drastically different reactions to a person.

I can handle Mike Richards as host for the week.  I am glad he is gone as host and producer, but honestly he did a perfectly acceptable job of reading the clues. 

• Love 15

If the consolation prizes were raised, wouldn't there be a chance, however slim, that the "losers" might take home more money than the winner?  (At least, for that day).  I realize that's technically possible now, but not bloody likely that there'd be a champ with under $1000. It *can* happen, but I assume I've a better chance at winning the lottery.

19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If the consolation prizes were raised, wouldn't there be a chance, however slim, that the "losers" might take home more money than the winner?  (At least, for that day).  I realize that's technically possible now, but not bloody likely that there'd be a champ with under $1000. It *can* happen, but I assume I've a better chance at winning the lottery.

I’m not going to try to look it up, but I’d have to guess that there have been times when someone won with a very low dollar amount. But even if it’s less than the second/third place players, a) you have bragging rights (I won on jeopardy!), and b) you get to come back and play again. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

It seems to me that every time a Jeptestant goes on an extraordinary winning streak, there are people who dislike him (it's rarely a her). That includes James, Austin (of course), even Buzzy, whom I thought, and still think, would make a great J! host.

I've seen lots of comments (here and elsewhere) saying that they hated Buzzy as a contestant and loved (or at least liked) him as host. I liked him as contestant, too, but I can see how he might have bugged people.

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

First, I like Matt.  I find it fascinating how people have drastically different reactions to a person.

I can handle Mike Richards as host for the week.  I am glad he is gone as host and producer, but honestly he did a perfectly acceptable job of reading the clues. 

Agreed on both counts. I was thinking earlier about how polarizing some contestants can be. I'll admit Matt had to grow on me at first but I really like him.

Just now, SoMuchTV said:

I’m not going to try to look it up, but I’d have to guess that there have been times when someone won with a very low dollar amount. But even if it’s less than the second/third place players, a) you have bragging rights (I won on jeopardy!), and b) you get to come back and play again. 

We've seen people win with a buck, so yes, it's happened (though it's been a while, I think).

• Love 2

Today was an example of my favorite type of Final Jeopardy clue.

I didn't know this bit of trivia (origin of that mineral name), but the 1969 in the clue and the mention that there were three names allowed me to figure it out before the music stopped.  So I felt like I accomplished something.  And that's a recipe for a good FJ clue.

Also: Matt has now tied fan favorite Julia Collins' streak of 20 wins.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Also: Matt has now tied fan favorite Julia Collins' streak of 20 wins.

Ugh, I should have avoided this thread since we don’t see it until 7:30! Makes me a bit sad; I liked her a lot.

22 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Did anyone else hear him say "Billy Kid" instead of "Billy the Kid"? In the end, it didn't matter, but even so...  As for FJ, once I noticed the year, it was an instaget!

I heard that, too. I'm surprised he wasn't called out for it.

• Love 2

Did a little better than yesterday… 60% / 53% / 57%. Ran nothing, got no Central American Capitals (that little song we learned back in high school failed me…). I got one DD in the second round; not sure if I got the one in the first round because I didn't note it when it came up and now I don't know which clue it was. I'm not quick enough to track TSes in real time; Hope the archive comes back soon. But no FJ here.

A comment somewhere made me realize that I can get the categories in advance from the J!6 game (except for FJ but I have plenty of time to type that one once it's revealed), so at least I was able to set up my scorecard before it started.

Edited by ams1001

I hadn't the foggiest on FJ.

I got the missed clue of Moriah.

I got the entire categories of idoms and Old testament right.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Did anyone else hear him say "Billy Kid" instead of "Billy the Kid"? In the end, it didn't matter, but even so...  As for FJ, once I noticed the year, it was an instaget!

You don't need middle names:)

• LOL 9

I know its technically correct, but Dolly Parton did not write "Jolene" and "I will Always Love You" on the same day for Matt to answer "what's Parton?".  Dolly is the greatest American alive, show some respect and answer it correctly,  "who is Dolly Parton?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
34 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Love Matt, love the runaways, love seeing him smash the competition without a hint of smugness and hope it continues for a long time

Me too!   Winning streaks are much more interesting to me than 3 random players every day.

• Love 4

I don't think it's been mentioned yet and perhaps it's a market-by-market decision, but in my market the Alex Trebek dedication card at the very end of each episode has been removed. I had wondered if they would stop showing it at the end of Season 37. That seems to be the case.

I got the TS of "Normal People" and "Project Runway." I was surprised no one got either.

15 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet and perhaps it's a market-by-market decision, but in my market the Alex Trebek dedication card at the very end of each episode has been removed. I had wondered if they would stop showing it at the end of Season 37. That seems to be the case.

Aw, I was hoping that would stay. Maybe since they named the stage for him they decided they could drop the card. 

I actually hadn't noticed, but I'm not usually looking at the screen during the credits. I kept looking up to see the card when my TV suddenly went silent, and now that you mention it, I don't recall hearing the silence.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I ran the reality TV category. More of that and less wild west.

And me, I am just the opposite. All Wild West all the time.

Kudos and a huge shout out to all three players for each betting their DDs to the max. Well done everyone, that's how you play this game.

RIP Turd Ferguson.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 12

Oh, look - a Bible category.

I was terrible at fiction and wild west, missing three in each.  I also missed two in reality shows, but I was happy to have correctly guessed the other three since I've never seen any of them.  I ran the other first round categories.

In DJ, I blew Old Testament (shocking, I know), missing all but one, and names, missing three.  I also missed two celebrities, but got everything else.

I got FJ, and it was really fun to figure out - I didn't know that fact (had, in fact, never heard anything about it), but knowing it had to be a portmanteau of the names of three men who did something famous and scientific in 1969, looking at the letters in the mineral it came to me fairly quickly.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I expected Mr. English/Korean Bible Scribe to run the Old Testament category.

"Mr. English/Korean Bible Scribe" missed the highest value OT clue, and Elizabeth got 2 of the others. Hopefully his parents won't be unkind to him because of it. 😨 His interview had to be the most awkward ever.
I hope his parents acknowledge that their son nearly gave Matt Amodio a run for his money.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Did anyone else hear him say "Billy Kid" instead of "Billy the Kid"? In the end, it didn't matter, but even so...

Yes:

image.png.aa35b81ff84ad6d83d10bad92af6b5d0.png

Didn't someone post in the last season about A, An, and The not being required? Or not...?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Didn't someone post in the last season about A, An, and The not being required? Or not...?

I think that's just if it's the first word. "Billy Kid" is not what he was called, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, opus said:

Billy Kidd was an Olympic medalist in skiing 

Oh, man, I had a huge crush on Billy Kidd (and Jean Claude Killy) back in the day. I guess the answer to that clue could have been just "Kid." So there's that.

Me likee your new 2021 look @opus.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, man, I had a huge crush on Billy Kidd (and Jean Claude Killy) back in the day. I guess the answer to that clue could have been just "Kid." So there's that.

Me likee your new 2021 look @opus.

Thanks, but it looks better in full and depresses me a bit because I can’t get it to fit exactly like it does in my photo file. It’s a bit off in the avatar. But close enough I guess.

3FE6EF0A-EB85-45BA-860D-585BF96D7B2A.png

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Then we're going to be virtual relatives since Matt is my current teevee boyfriend. It makes me happy to see him every day, and I hope that continues for ... well, until the end of time. I am all for him having runaways since I can't handle the stress of not knowing until FJ answers are revealed.

You must be a long lost sibling of mine. Just today I told my brother that I got nervous when middle guy was catching up because I don’t want Matt to be in danger of losing in FJ. My brother said “Yeah, that guy was like a bad Bond villain who was going to mess everything up.”

Edited by SHD
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Kudos and a huge shout out to all three players for each betting their DDs to the max.

I loved that! I don't mind Matt winning, but I hate when he (or any one person) gets all three DDs. It's much more interesting when all the contestants get a crack at one.

Speaking of awkward small talk, I cringed and then let out my villain laugh when Mike talked about how much he wants to celebrate the contestants during his tenure as host.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Mr. English/Korean Bible Scribe" missed the highest value OT clue, and Elizabeth got 2 of the others. Hopefully his parents won't be unkind to him because of it. 😨 His interview had to be the most awkward ever.
I hope his parents acknowledge that their son nearly gave Matt Amodio a run for his money.

Yes:

image.png.aa35b81ff84ad6d83d10bad92af6b5d0.png

Daniel emphasized over and over that he only did the translation out of duty to his parents, so I'm not particularly surprised that he didn't retain a lot of the contents. Apologies to the Matt lovers, but I enjoyed those few moments when it looked as though he would prevent another Matt runaway. 

Yes, articles are not required, but I did wonder whether that applied only to the beginnings of titles, like "Christmas Carol" instead of "A Christmas Carol." I guess "Billy Kid" had to be acceptable if you're going to apply the rule consistently.

3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, look - a Bible category.

I was terrible at fiction and wild west, missing three in each.  I also missed two in reality shows, but I was happy to have correctly guessed the other three since I've never seen any of them.  I ran the other first round categories.

In DJ, I blew Old Testament (shocking, I know), missing all but one, and names, missing three.  I also missed two celebrities, but got everything else.

I got FJ, and it was really fun to figure out - I didn't know that fact (had, in fact, never heard anything about it), but knowing it had to be a portmanteau of the names of three men who did something famous and scientific in 1969, looking at the letters in the mineral it came to me fairly quickly.

I don't mind Matt winning, but I hate when he (or any one person) gets all three DDs. It's much more interesting when all the contestants get a crack at one.

Speaking of awkward small talk, I cringed and then let out my villain laugh when Mike talked about how much he wants to celebrate the contestants during his tenure as host.

That's my main gripe against the Matt runaways. And yes, I noted the irony of Mike saying the game is all about the contestants.

I completely blanked on FJ and then felt dumb when the answers were revealed.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 9:08 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I had to laugh at the counting syllables on his fingers. I mean, yeah, I do it when I try to work out the answer, but I don’t see how it helps him once he’s already rung in and committed. 

I think he and many contestants ring in figuring that they will "know" the answer before they've even digested the question.  My interpretation of his counting was that he truly was trying to figure out if he had enough syllables or if he needed to add an "ly" or "able" to the end to make it to seven.  He missed one of the questions when he added an erroneous ending to a word to make it to seven syllables (can't remember the clue)  

• Love 8
On 9/13/2021 at 6:21 PM, Roaster said:

I was thinking the same thing towards the end of the first round, when there were only low value clues left.  It seemed he did the same thing toward the end of last season.  Maybe it's our imagination.

I think he does leave questions but not because he wants the others to get some money since they don't get to keep what they "earn" but get the flat rate at the end.  I think he leaves those to given himself a rest, maybe even tune out and recharge.  Giving them those clues doesn't hurt because he has a huge lead by then.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, kathyk24 said:

No we did not all have Blackberries. I think Jeopardy needs to raise the prizes that the losing contestants get. Wheel of Fortune is giving away 10000 for one person getting the triple toss up correct so Sony has the money. 

Here's a way to date myself....I went to buy my first BB and they were around $235.  I really didn't want to spend that much so the man at the AT&T store (or maybe it was Cingular at the time), convinced me to get this new phone that hit the market, telling me it was going to be a huge hit.  He spent some time showing me how to use it.  It was the 2nd generation of iPhone before they numbered them) and I paid $85 for it.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

On 9/13/2021 at 6:09 PM, vibeology said:

Sandra Oh and Alanis Morissette in one category. I have to feel like two Ottawa celebrities was a bit of a shout out to Alex.

I did pretty well in the Canadian category - but then it wasn't geography.

On 9/13/2021 at 7:29 PM, shapeshifter said:

Yeah. Not me. Pretty elitist assumption. 

I didn't have one back in the day either. I hated them for reasons I no longer recall. Also, I tend to reject the very popular things. (say, as in an iPhone - overpriced but pretty).

23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was between Pennsylvania and Rhode Island, then I remembered Penn was the Quaker and Roger Somebody* was banished from Massachusetts for being too tolerant of other religions and founded RI.

I thought I had it - even my husband did. Philadelphia - after all it's the city of brotherly love. But my husband got it.

13 hours ago, Roaster said:

I didn't know this bit of trivia (origin of that mineral name), but the 1969 in the clue and the mention that there were three names allowed me to figure it out before the music stopped.  So I felt like I accomplished something.  And that's a recipe for a good FJ clue.

I was ticked I hadn't worked it out - I totally ignored the date and was thinking about scientists. Sheesh.

12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had a very good night and even came up with FJ. 
I loved that Deadwood was an answer in the first round. Loved that series. Will gladly discuss in Small Talk. 

I didn't watch Deadwood - but I love that little fact nugget. I think I will retain it.

I like Matt, and I liked Buzzy, Austin and...the previous Matt? I wasn't sure Buzzy would do well as a host despite the fact I liked him. But I think he's great and they should just hire him, darn it.

As for Richards, I hardly paid attention to him. He performed as well as he did in ... January? February? But I didn't like him for the job then, and am glad he won't be around for much longer.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't think so. Kid wasn't his last name. 

• Love 2

One good thing about having to put up with Mike Richards as host for the week: he's made me dislike Matt so much less in comparison.  Heck, I was even somewhat amused by Matt's counting syllables/words on his fingers yesterday, probably because I was doing the same thing while sitting on my couch.  Now, that doesn't mean I won't be glad to see a new champion, but it does make the wait less difficult.

• LOL 3
On 9/13/2021 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

Well, I'm off to a bad start for the new season -- did not get FJ, and not because I was too specific.  I pretty much just randomly picked one of the 13 colonies.  Well, 12, because I eliminated Massachusetts.

I guessed Maryland, because the Calverts founded the colony on the principle of religious freedom - unlike those asshole Puritans in Massachusetts whose idea of religious freedom was "you're free to believe exactly what I believe and absolutely nothing else" - but I did waffle a bit and considered changing to Rhode Island.  Oops.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:08 AM, shapeshifter said:

I’m hoping 🤞this is a tryout for potentially putting the category above all clues. 
If nothing else, someone has demonstrated it can be done. 

I can see doing it for FJ because there's a commercial break between the revelation of the category and the revelation of the clue, but I don't want them to do it for every single clue.  That seems really unnecessary.  Viewers should just pay attention (and that applies to me as well since sometimes I'm not paying enough attention and miss the category).

23 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

It seems to me that every time a Jeptestant goes on an extraordinary winning streak, there are people who dislike him (it's rarely a her).

I've seen plenty of dislike for female champions on winning streaks (Jackie the former Runaway & Jennifer with the stupid drumsticks spring immediately to mind).  I do agree that, for many posters here, the longer the streak, the more likely for opinion on the champion to be extremely divided.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There have been occasions where the champion has ended up with less than the $1000 consolation prize given to the 3rd place finisher.  For example, Manny Abell won with just $1 on October 17, 2017.

17 hours ago, illdoc said:

As for FJ, once I noticed the year, it was an instaget!

Yep, there were only a few major events in 1969, and the moon landing was the biggest of them all.

15 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Oh, wow.. i had forgotten about Julia...and I'm sure I will again. She is very forgettable. Never understood the Julia love.

She was low-key but personable and knowledgeable without being smug.  A lot of us appreciated that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

those asshole Puritans in Massachusetts

Since some of them were my ancestors, I'm allowed to say:  "They came here to have the freedom to persecute others for their religious beliefs."

• LOL 7
  • Love 6