Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

FJ was an instaget

only missed clue I got was eyes lips and face.  Really, Matt, ears?

I got the entire  categories of New York News and -r-m right.

I guessed the wrong Wright brother which is completely unacceptable since I did a report on them in 6th grade.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I did not get FJ, though I should have.  I focussed on the marathon part instead of the three decades part.  Then I thought about rabbits, and since I didn't have any better guess, I said the rabbit-proof fence from the movie of the same name.  

And the only TS I got was elementary, though I admit to not giving the game my full attention.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I guessed the wrong Wright brother which is completely unacceptable since I did a report on them in 6th grade.

I guessed the right one but I sounded about as confident as Matt did...

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ, though I should have.  I focussed on the marathon part instead of the three decades part.  Then I thought about rabbits, and since I didn't have any better guess, I said the rabbit-proof fence from the movie of the same name.  

I like that logic!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget

I just read a book all about them a few years back, still didn't know. 

• Love 1

I found FJ easy to figure out tonight. I guess I can chalk it up to my "burden of knowledge" being extremely light, as I am completely unfamiliar with the Appian Way so didn't have anything to confuse the Berlin wall with! Sometimes lack of knowledge does pay off.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget

I guessed the right Wright brother - it was a 50/50 chance. But really it was the only name I came up with, I went blank on the other brother.

I ran What a Week, and came close to running Comedy on TV and _R_M (by which I mean I only missed one). So a good board for me.

At first I had no clue for FJ, but the thirty years fact got me there in time. It should have been an instaget, as it has personal meaning to me. The earliest nightmare I can remember had to do with the building of the wall - I was a little kid in Germany at the time and my father's tour was extended because of it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I found it difficult not to be mad at Mayim for doing the play-by-play on the scores between Matt and Christopher [paraphrased]: “Now you are in the lead…And, once again, a tie for the lead…”

I didn't like her "you're back to zero"...Alex's "you're out of the hole" sounded a lot more encouraging.

• Love 5

I knew an answer thanks yet again to spending my summers watching Vintage Base Ball at Greenfield Village.  They play by the rules of 1867 and one of the commentators has a favorite trivia question about which Wright Brother was born that year and who was the elder/younger.  Since the Village has their family home and bicycle shop, it is a natural tie in. 

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I had no idea at all, which I guess makes me exactly as smart as Matt! 😀

I actually think no idea at all was better than ears. I don't even wear make up, but I know you don't put it on your ears.  LOL.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I can't scoff too much at "ears, lips, and face."  To me, the eyes and lips are part of the face, so I would've guessed correctly, I suppose, but not without confusion.  I can and do scoff at the error on the RSVP clue.  The word is "répondez," not "réspondez."  (No accent shown on screen either, but that is not uncommon in all-caps usage.)

Something about the way Mayim said "with one daily double in these categories" reminded me very much of Alex.  I liked her in this brief interview too.  Speaking of interviews, I would have liked for Christopher to say what musical he and his now-wife were doing when they met!  Maybe he did but it was left in the cutting room.

I'm always pleased by reminders of the ongoing cultural relevance of one of my favorite shows, but I wasn't sure Matt's story was an "I Love Lucy moment."  She had elaborate schemes get away from her.  Not knowing the difference between dish soap and detergent is just being a bit of a manchild.  The imagined visual could be Lucy-esque, I'll grant, so you don't all picture me sucking a lemon.

• LOL 2
31 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I can't scoff too much at "ears, lips, and face."  To me, the eyes and lips are part of the face, so I would've guessed correctly, I suppose, but not without confusion.  

That's what made me tentative with saying face when I was answering because I'd already accounted for parts of the face, but what else would it be?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

You'd think you would have remembered given you just did that paper last year.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Then I thought about rabbits, and since I didn't have any better guess, I said the rabbit-proof fence from the movie of the same name.

Well, it is Rabbit Week, so there's that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I wasn't sure Matt's story was an "I Love Lucy moment."  She had elaborate schemes get away from her.  Not knowing the difference between dish soap and detergent is just being a bit of a manchild. 

I thought it sounded more like a Brady Bunch moment.

image.png.9913d2ebde2c74cc67d850afa4607527.png

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It was def a "Lucy Moment."

lucy-quiz_question_image_-life-with-lucy_soap.thumb.jpg.013e39b5d5225e44578c08a75bb3b107.jpg

Was this the industrial fire extinguisher in "Life with Lucy"?  I've done everything possible to block any recollection of that show, but obviously not enough!

True, though, when you imagine Matt's mishap looking like this, I'd accept "a Lucy moment" generally.  To me, the Lucy character became less clever and more of an annoying schlemiel with each format change.  Lucy Ricardo knew Dawn from Cascade, but Lucy Barker probably wouldn't've.

I'll accept that "I Love Lucy" probably triggered the desired meaning for 99.9% of viewers, a few pedantic pains in the behind aside. ;)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I'm always pleased by reminders of the ongoing cultural relevance of one of my favorite shows, but I wasn't sure Matt's story was an "I Love Lucy moment."  She had elaborate schemes get away from her.  Not knowing the difference between dish soap and detergent is just being a bit of a manchild.  The imagined visual could be Lucy-esque, I'll grant, so you don't all picture me sucking a lemon.

I'd call it a Freaky Friday moment, since that's my favorite of the soap disaster scenes I've seen (that one was a washing machine rather than a dishwasher), but calling it an I Love Lucy moment would register with a lot more people, so it makes sense using that as the reference.

47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That's what made me tentative with saying face when I was answering because I'd already accounted for parts of the face, but what else would it be?

That was me, too - okay, obviously they want eyes, lips, and face, but WTF, make-up brand; eyes and lips are part of the face.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I guessed the right Wright brother - it was a 50/50 chance. But really it was the only name I came up with, I went blank on the other brother.

That's how I lucked into guessing the correct brother - Orville was the only one whose name I could remember.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Lucy Ricardo knew Dawn from Cascade,

I would have to disagree. Lucy Ricardo would have had to choose between Joy and Duz, and probably chose Duz for the free Golden Wheat dinnerware. I still have those plates and cups, they went to college with me.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It was def a "Lucy Moment."

lucy-quiz_question_image_-life-with-lucy_soap.thumb.jpg.013e39b5d5225e44578c08a75bb3b107.jpg

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'd call it a Freaky Friday moment, since that's my favorite of the soap disaster scenes I've seen (that one was a washing machine rather than a dishwasher), but calling it an I Love Lucy moment would register with a lot more people, so it makes sense using that as the reference.

I'm guessing it was even closer to being a "shapeshifter moment" (because great minds think alike) but that would make a real head-scratcher of a Jeopardy! interview story, so, yes "I Love Lucy moment" is the best descriptor.

After 2 dozen anecdotes, a 30-year-old might want to start sharing Stories I Heard From My Uncle (or other relative).

When I was close to Matt's age, a dishwasher in a house I rented finally got repaired, and all I had was liquid dish soap for washing dishes by hand, so I thought, "How bad can it be?" Afterwards the kitchen floor was clean too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
Just now, saber5055 said:

I would have to disagree. Lucy Ricardo would have had to choose between Joy and Duz, and probably chose Duz for the free Golden Wheat dinnerware. I still have those plates and cups, they went to college with me.

That got a big smile out of me.  You win this round. ;)

Something I forgot from last night's game: the clue described the "Welcome to Cleveland" roof sign in Milwaukee in the past tense, but unless something happened in the last 6 weeks, it's still there.  Who's minding the store?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I had no idea at all, which I guess makes me exactly as smart as Matt! 😀

2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I can't scoff too much at "ears, lips, and face."  To me, the eyes and lips are part of the face, so I would've guessed correctly, I suppose, but not without confusion.

As an occasional makeup wearer (I suspect neither of you are), I think the idea is that face makeup (foundation, moisturizer, etc. ) is a different category from eye makeup (mascara, eyeliner, etc. ) and from lip makeup (lipstick, lip liner, etc. ). But now I have to go look for ear makeup!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

As an occasional makeup wearer (I suspect neither of you are), I think the idea is that face makeup (foundation, moisturizer, etc. ) is a different category from eye makeup (mascara, eyeliner, etc. ) and from lip makeup (lipstick, lip liner, etc. ). But now I have to go look for ear makeup!

Apparently it's a thing...

https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/news/a21303/ear-makeup-trend/

Who knew?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

As an occasional makeup wearer (I suspect neither of you are), I think the idea is that face makeup (foundation, moisturizer, etc. ) is a different category from eye makeup (mascara, eyeliner, etc. ) and from lip makeup (lipstick, lip liner, etc. ).

Oh, that does make sense, thank you.  (I don't wear make-up, so I was just fixated on the fact eyes and lips are part of the face, but you make a good point that in the specific context of make-up, those are three distinct categories.)

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LBS said:

Now elf has changed their Twitter handle to ear lip face.  😂😂😂 I’ve had a crappy day and this has made it better

0A83DF92-6937-48F5-B577-E9C91015E263.jpeg

Aww, I love that too! 🥰 

After reading all of these comments it dawned on me that Matt probably said “ears” instead of “eyes” because e.l.f. spells “elf,” and elves 🧝 🧝‍♀️ are known for their pointy ears.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

And I said, well if I had an I Love Lucy moment, I'd rather it be the one at the chocolate factory!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And I said, well if I had an I Love Lucy moment, I'd rather it be the one at the chocolate factory!

I actually thought that was where Matt was going so was rather disappointed with his soap story.

• Love 4

Another archive game for me, but, thankfully, not seeing the visuals didn't harm me any.

I don't know that I would have accepted deferential instead of deference; the wording of the clue calls for the noun, not the adjective.

The dust TS surprised me, since there were two ways to get it (knowing the fourth part of a comet or knowing what Pledge is used for).  Ballad going unanswered surprised me a bit, too (I didn't get it, either, but one of us should have).

I missed one each in interest, code, and peak, but got everything else in the first round.  In DJ, I only ran superlatives and def, but would have done well if not for the Role Players category; in the other three, I only missed one each, but I missed every single clue in that one.

I rolled my eyes so hard they nearly got stuck at the FJ category, but it turned out to be a very easy guess. 

• Love 2

Congratulations to Matt for another win, and for executing a true Daily Double late in the game to run away with it.

Guhan - almost.  When Guhan found the San Jose Sharks Daily Double in round one, he had 3400.  He bet 1500 and was right.  If he had gone all in, he would have got an additional 1900 and finished the second round with 13,400, which is EXACTLY HALF of what Matt had.

And then if Guhan was right in FJ while Matt was wrong (which actually happened) - Guhan could have won the game, or at least tied it.

I know it's easy for me to sit at home and criticize players for not betting bigger, and I am not saying I would have the courage to do so in a game either, but these might-have-beens make you wonder about fate, etc.

• Love 16
On 9/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, HissyFit said:

Twenty-five books plus oodles of movies with rabbits, including "Harvey," "Bambi" (Thumper), "Alice in Wonderland" (the March Hare), "Space Jam" (Bugs Bunny), and, gulp, "Fatal Attraction."

Edited to list March Hare where I had incorrectly listed Mad Hatter. Thank you @Kimmmmmm, for catching my hare-brained flub!

Not hare-brained at all!! I often get those two mixed up 😊 

• Love 4

I like Caroline's top; and March Madness for her dog is my favorite thing today.

J!: Only ran Literary Terms…got two sports venues which isn't bad for me in a sports category. (I got bird's nest, because it looks like one, and U of Florida, because it said Gainesville). Missed one or two in each of the other categories for 70%. Only two TSes in the round but I didn't get them.

DJ: Only ran Superlatives. Only got one Role Player (I knew Danny Trejo but I couldn't come up with it in time) and two Historic women and missed one each in the other categories. Defenestration is one of my favorite words. Got the TSes of dust and ballad. 67%

FJ: Instaget (though I did briefly debate if it might be frogs after I said locusts), for final score of 69%.

If Matt has a big day tomorrow he could conceivably end the week with a million bucks...

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight, although I did almost switch my answer to frogs.  

Guhan definitely should have made his DD a true DD -- he could have been the new champ!

TS I got were Syracuse, dust, and John Cho.  I loved the Navajo code-talking category.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I don't know that I would have accepted deferential instead of deference; the wording of the clue calls for the noun, not the adjective.

I don't remember the wording, but wasn't it something about this kind of treatment, so it could be deference or deferential because it's deferential treatment.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't remember the wording, but wasn't it something about this kind of treatment, so it could be deference or deferential because it's deferential treatment.  

It was "Yield to another and you're showing this courteous regard."

• Useful 1

I thought Matt should have been told to be more specific on "Florida", since there's also Florida State University as well as the University of Florida. OTOH, the latter is the only one in Gainesville, so I guess that's the rationale.

Guhan...so close. Nice of Mayim to say "It all comes down to Final Jeopardy," although it was obviously going to be another Matt victory unless he did a Cliff Clavin. It was a real contest for second place though. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought Matt should have been told to be more specific on "Florida", since there's also Florida State University as well as the University of Florida. OTOH, the latter is the only one in Gainesville, so I guess that's the rationale.

Florida State University is Florida State and University of Florida is Florida.  

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It was "Yield to another and you're showing this courteous regard."

Hmm.  I don't know.  you could still make the case that it is deferential regard, i guess.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Guhan...so close. Nice of Mayim to say "It all comes down to Final Jeopardy," although it was obviously going to be another Matt victory unless he did a Cliff Clavin. It was a real contest for second place though. 

I agree. They are getting to lax in accepting answers and this would have been good practice for Mayim to ask for a BMS rather than filling in the correct full answer herself. 
    I got dust tail, asteroid, and the FJ of locusts. 

• Love 1