Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

FJ was instaget for me. I even went off on a tangent in my mind about how the word used for Locusts can also be interpreted as Locust tree bean pods (aka carob) etc. etc. and then…

WTH is up with Matt and all y’all with the frickin’ Frogs!?!

I yelled Really Loud at the TV: OMG!

Guhan was champion material, and Matt seemed tired throughout the game. 
Tomorrow’s game started right after, right?

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought Matt should have been told to be more specific on "Florida", since there's also Florida State University as well as the University of Florida.

We had that discussion here ad nauseam last season. It went on and on for multiple posts. Conclusion: "Florida" was and is correct. Anyone who disagrees, go back to Season 37 and read those posts. Let's not hash it out AGAIN please!

Geesh to not betting big on DDs when you are playing against Matt. Like you guys haven't seen him play yet? Then choosing the 200/400 clues when you finally get a shot at the board when there are 1000/2000 clues left and the DDs are still out there? You deserved to lose people.

I actually clapped, here alone in my house, when Matt got the 10,500 all-in DD. Now THAT'S how you win this game.

The header was back over the FJ clue today. I guess it's either there or not depending on the whim of which dude is working the ... whatever it is that displays the clue.

A Bible FJ got an Oh, No from me, but even I've heard of a plague of locusts. But who knew they are a regular course on menus and the Bible encourages everyone to eat as many locusts as they can at every meal. I copied this from Andy's post at TJF, who copied it from the Bible:

"Leviticus 11:21-23 reads: “Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth; Even these of them ye may eat; the locust after his kind, and the bald locust after his kind, and the beetle after his kind, and the grasshopper after his kind. But all other flying creeping things, which have four feet, shall be an abomination unto you.”

I spent some time trying to think of what the "other flying creeping things which have four feet" are but had no luck. Apparently, these creeping things have four feet but no legs. Maybe the answer to that will be a future J! clue/answer.

I'd rather eat frogs than locust, and I've encountered, more than once, hoards of frogs on different country highways, hundreds, thousands, so many leaping and jumping that they smack into my vehicle and the road is full of smashed frog bodies for a few miles. It's unsettling and very much like a Biblical plague.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 9/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, HissyFit said:

Twenty-five books plus oodles of movies with rabbits, including "Harvey," "Bambi" (Thumper), "Alice in Wonderland" (the March Hare), "Space Jam" (Bugs Bunny), and, gulp, "Fatal Attraction."

Harvey is described as a "pooka". According to Wikipedia:

The púca (Irish for spirit/ghost; plural púcaí), pooka, phouka is primarily a creature of Celtic folklore. Considered to be bringers both of good and bad fortune, they could help or hinder rural and marine communities. Púcaí can have dark or white fur or hair. The creatures were said to be shape-changers, which could take the appearance of horses, goats, cats, dogs, and hares. They may also take a human form, which includes various animal features, such as ears or a tail.

So Harvey is, perhaps, more like rabbit-adjacent.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Once again, my lack of burden of knowledge comes through for FJ!

The only two plagues I can ever remember are locusts and death of the firstborn. If I remembered frogs, I definitely would have gone with that instead of locusts. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I liked Guhan's story and Caroline's as well. It's rare that the interviews are very interesting to me. 

I was really surprised no one got asteroid, mostly because I rarely know anything the contestants don't.

I had a 50-50 shot on frogs vs locusts, but guessed frogs because somehow I thought insects aren't kosher. I just looked it up just now, and discovered that most insects aren't, but a few locust species are. And frogs aren't at all. 

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The only two plagues I can ever remember are locusts and death of the firstborn.

You have one up on me - I could only think of locusts.  Which was obviously quite convenient (like only being able to remember one Wright brother last night).

The frogs answer made me think of "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!" from the fabulous "Die Hand Die Verletzt" episode of The X-Files, but I didn't know that alluded to a plague story in the Bible.  If I had, I might well have done as Matt did and figured that was the answer instead, as frogs are consumed far more often than locusts (I assume; maybe locusts are a delicacy in some part of the world I've never been to).

So, sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I spent some time trying to think of what the "other flying creeping things which have four feet" are but had no luck.

Bats? Flying squirrels? Neither really fit, so I'm stumped too.

In weird coincidence news, while watching Jeopardy I was actually scrolling through Etsy looking for William Morris needlepoint patterns. Freaky!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

There’s just some factor about Matt that makes me want to keep watching. His dry, dead pan demeanor, the way he answers people clues as “what is (last name)”, or his interesting stories after the first break. I’m going to keep watching until he loses but I hope he will become as popular as the big 3

• Love 11
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As an occasional makeup wearer (I suspect neither of you are)

As a matter of fact, I do wear makeup sometimes, because I do community theater.  I've never paid much attention to the brand names, though.  I just use whatever I can borrow from my wife! 😀

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

WTH is up with Matt and all y’all with the frickin’ Frogs!?!

I had a recent specific reason for knowing Locusts. My husband and I were discussing when my daughter was in middle school and her science (?) teacher had them eat insects. I was upset by the lack of parental notification, my husband not so much. Anyway, we rehashed it a bit, and I came up with "what if some kids are religious and can't eat them." So I had to go look up what the bible says.

Today, I looked into frogs. This isn't a quote from the bible, but from the United Church of God in Canada (how fitting)

He tells us that salt- and freshwater fish with fins and scales may be eaten (verses 9-12), but water creatures without those characteristics (catfish, lobsters, oysters, shrimp, crabs, clams, mussels, squid, frogs, octopi, etc.) should not be eaten.

2 hours ago, DougJones said:

There’s just some factor about Matt that makes me want to keep watching. His dry, dead pan demeanor, the way he answers people clues as “what is (last name)”, or his interesting stories after the first break. I’m going to keep watching until he loses but I hope he will become as popular as the big 3

I don't think Matt's that deadpan, except during the actual game. He has a sweet smile and manner during the non intense parts of the show. So, I guess that does mean he's deadpan for most of the show. Look at that, I just talked myself out of my point. LOL.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I had a recent specific reason for knowing Locusts. My husband and I were discussing when my daughter was in middle school and her science (?) teacher had them eat insects. I was upset by the lack of parental notification, my husband not so much. Anyway, we rehashed it a bit, and I came up with "what if some kids are religious and can't eat them." So I had to go look up what the bible says.

There's also the concern that people who are allergic to shellfish might also react to some insects.

I think I went with locusts immediately at least in part because I listen to a couple food-related podcasts and one of them did an episode on eating insects; the question of whether they are kosher came up (I don't remember the official answer, though).

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

There's also the concern that people who are allergic to shellfish might also react to some insects.

So true. I don't know what that teacher was thinking. It was a long time ago, but it still bothers me now and again.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'd rather eat frogs than locust

To clarify, I'd rather have neither. A nice bowl of granola will do instead.

45 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

water creatures without those characteristics (catfish, lobsters, oysters, shrimp, crabs, clams, mussels, squid, frogs, octopi, etc.) should not be eaten.

I'll have to renounce my membership in Canada's United Church of God.

• LOL 4

Here is a very strange take from a Gawker blogger who seems to have a lot of baggage to unpack about why "Mayim Bialik is destroying Jeopardy."  Oy.

Meanwhile, back in the land of frogs and locusts, I too said frogs, on the basis that people eat frog legs.  Very sound logic.  I wish I'd thought of John the Baptist.

Years ago I tried a cricket taco with an adventurous friend and thought it was OK.  I think my father eats them from time to time too, seasoned somehow.  When the cicadas came out while I was in grade school, there were many dares to eat them too.  I can't remember whether I partook, but probably not.  Still, when I think about it, many more people in my circle seem to be eating insects than frogs after all.  I want a do-over. ;)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

By googling, I found this article which explains why insects with six legs can be deemed to have only four:  https://naturenoon.com/4-legs-insects/

Quoting: 

"Before getting into details, let’s make two things very clear:

The first one is, “All insects are arthropods, but all arthropods are not insects.”

Secondly, an arthropod leg is a jointed appendage used for walking, crawling, or supporting the body while standing. Modified legs are not legs.

Keeping the above clarifications in mind, we can conclude that various insects and other arthropods have a reduced number of legs."

• Useful 2

If only everyone had gone out in the fields with frying pans and stir-fry sauce, acres of crops would have been saved from being ravaged by those hoards of locust and thus famine would not have existed in those countries. More people need to read their Bibles!

I actually have frogs that appear in my backyard starting in spring. They will hop away when I mow, and every once in a while a dog will catch one, sadly for the frog. Once my mower spit one out and I was relieved to see it hop out of the yard, miraculously unscathed. It's also not unusual to find a frog in the horse water tank, or a bucket of water. How those frogs get there is a mystery.

I also have several toads that live here. So far though, I have not come across any newts.

• Love 7

That gawker article is just completely wrong on just about every level.   

I am not even a big fan of mayim as host but that article is just wrong. 

I don't think anyone wants a comedian hosting this show.   No one like that was even considered.  

Two mentions specifically of mayim and her political beliefs and in particular her Jewish political beliefs.  Go figure an American 40 something Jewish woman is pro Israel. But it doesn't matter to me at all in terms of the host. 

Her description of the contestants is insulting and demeaning. 

I never once thought of jeopardy like some sporting event or like some sad bar trivia contest.  

And no, the show won't listen to her.  Because she is wrong with bad ideas.  I doubt she is a real fan of the show.  

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't think anyone wants a comedian hosting this show.   No one like that was even considered.  

She mentioned Nicole Byer, and I was like, 'huh? for Jeopardy?!'...I only know her from her being a guest on a couple podcast episodes (the Sporkful, somewhat recently, and Ask Me Another, at some point since they started doing it virtually and using minor celebrities instead of people from the audience to play their games), and she seems like a lovely, fun person, but no. 

I know I did my share of complaining about Mayim, and I still don't love her, but she's doing better this week and I can honestly say she's far from "ruining" the game.

• Love 1

Nicole Byer would be inappropriate.   Fun to have at a party maybe but no evidence she would fade into the background the way the Jeopardy! host should.

Marc Maron would be worse.  Every episode of his podcast that I have heard consists of him starting with 20 minutes of self-indulgent ego-stroking before the guest even comes on.  For J!, the more boring the host is, the better.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

She mentioned Nicole Byer, and I was like, 'huh? for Jeopardy?!'...I only know her from her being a guest on a couple podcast episodes (the Sporkful, somewhat recently, and Ask Me Another, at some point since they started doing it virtually and using minor celebrities instead of people from the audience to play their games), and she seems like a lovely, fun person, but no. 

I know I did my share of complaining about Mayim, and I still don't love her, but she's doing better this week and I can honestly say she's far from "ruining" the game.

Nicole Byer has hosted "Nailed It!" which is a pretty funny show. But a comedian of that ilk on Jeopardy? No way. These two quotes show the utter contempt this person has for the contestants and the fans of the show:

"The integrity of the show relies on having someone at its helm who can make up for the lack of charisma brought by people who are nerdy enough to get on the show in the first place."

"The problem with Bialik and the other people who have been in the running for Jeopardy! host (Ken Jennings and LeVar Burton, most notably) is that they are all people dweebs can get behind."

Well (expletive deleted) her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

J!: Ran The Middle Ages; only missed 1 or 2 in the other categories for 73%.

DJ: Ran Furry Road (love that title!); only missed 1 or 2 in the other categories for 73%.

My TSes were Princess phone, Kristi Yamaguchi, Conga; also got the missed DD of Frankenstein.

FJ: OMG I WAS RIGHT! (Though like Matt, my first thought was Titanic; I figured that was wrong, in part because of the "its last captain" part of the clue...presumably Titanic only ever had one captain and he went down with the ship.) Bumped my final score to 74%.

I accidentally spoiled myself on the winner when I went to get the categories for my scorecard (I do my best to copy the titles without letting my eyes focus on anything else), but I only saw the scores going into FJ. not the final scores, so I knew Matt couldn't lose but I didn't know how much he won. A million dollars! Woohoo!

• Love 1

I initially thought Titanic as well, but also changed it in time to the correct response. 

The only TS I got was phone, although I'm not sure I could have specified princess phone.  If I were Matt, it wouldn't matter -- it would be given to me anyway, but who knows if another contestant would have to BMS for just phone.

Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

I kind of felt bad for Rebecca, but, honestly... Asian-Americans = Tara Lipinsky ??? She deserved to lose for that one.

She probably forgot the category.  I did!  It cracked me up, though, when she got "Rebecca".  When the contestant's name is the correct response...

I'm a little sad that the rabbit theme didn't continue the whole week.  That would have been fun.

• Love 5

Feel free to like this post if you clapped vigorously when Matt went over $1 mil.
And feel free to either not like or like with a cry emoji if you do not like Matt and his new cool mil.

The TS of Princess Phone was an instaget for me. My older sister got one. 

Lusitania was an instaget FJ for me, but as the music kept playing I started to wonder if it should be that T ship that they made the movie about with the hero hanging onto the raft until he drowned.
Google/Wikipedia tells us the Titanic went down in 1912, not 1915.

With 3 out of 5 FJs this week, maybe I should have joined the contest thread. (Just kidding. This is probably an anomaly due to the rabbits earlier in the week.)

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Feel free to like this post if you clapped vigorously when Matt went over $1 mil.
And feel free to either not like or like with a cry emoji if you do not like Matt and his new cool mil.

I didn't actually clap but I cheered internally.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I find myself rooting for Matt the longer he is on. 

I just have one question…  since they tape multiple episodes per day, are contestants required to bring a week’s worth of wardrobe with them to the taping in case they have a winning streak or does the show have clothing on standby so they’re not wearing the same thing for a week?

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I just have one question…  since they tape multiple episodes per day, are contestants required to bring a week’s worth of wardrobe with them to the taping in case they have a winning streak or does the show have clothing on standby so they’re not wearing the same thing for a week?

According to this, they are told to bring three changes of clothes.

• Useful 3
18 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

When I taped my episode in late 2018, we were asked to wear what we wanted to wear for the show, and to bring two more sets of clothing to wear when/if we won. In the contestants' green room, there is a small area walled off with a door, marked with a star and a sign reading Champion's Dressing Room (if I remember correctly!). The winner only has a few minutes to change clothes and refresh her makeup before it's time for the next game.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

With 3 out of 5 FJs this week, maybe I should have joined the contest thread.

It's not too late if you have last week's scores. New players are always welcome, and you don't even have to get any FJs correct to be eligible for prizes. It's for fun, no finger pointing or laughing is allowed, unless it's at yourself.

Another contestant loaned Matt a sweater to wear his first week of winning. This according to Matt's thank you on Twitter.

All of Matt's interview stories have been self-deprecating humor. That contrasts with that Ryan guy on the ToC who told about the scores of women who were after him as a boyfriend in his interview, so many he had to fend them off.

I have no idea where answers come from that float into my brain after a clue is read. Like Hanseatic League. I don't even know what that is yet my brain answered that clue. If I could stay home and send my brain to compete on the show, we'd be golden.

Hooray for that hyphen in the FJ clue. There's a difference between 19-teens and 19 teens!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

I finally got to watch an episode this week instead of just reading the archive.  I think Mayim did a fine job hosting, but I thought so the first time around (I think everyone did a fine job, and a few did particularly well).

The Kristi Yamaguchi TS surprised me a bit (and guessing Tara Lipinski had my mind pretty well boggled, but then I realized Rebecca must have simply forgotten the category).  Conga going unanswered was a little unexpected, too, since the clue gave two additional hints on top of the artist.

I only ran get-togethers, five, and channels in the first round; I missed two in "and" (I'm normally good with vocabulary categories, but I'd never heard of chandler and couldn't get bandolier from my brain to my mouth) and one each in the other two.

In DJ, I was terrible in novels, missing all but one.  I ran everything else but Italy, though, and only missed one there, so other than novels I had a terrific round.

FJ was another instaget, so after not having a chance in hell of getting Monday's right, I had four instagets in a row.  Good for me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I, too, thought of Titanic first, but "enemy vessels" made me decide on Lusitania.

I kind of felt bad for Rebecca, but, honestly... Asian-Americans = Tara Lipinsky ??? She deserved to lose for that one.

I said Lusitania before the final was read out.  I did decently on the rest of the clues.

• Love 3

J! Archive has rolled out a new feature: j-archive.com/showrecentcategories.php will get you the categories only from the most recent game.  (A caveat is that any special commentary at the top, such as "Matt breaks the $1 million mark," is currently included, so you still have to squint.  But they're seeing about removing that field too.)

RE Danke Schon: no question it's Wayne Newton's signature song, but I like the way Brenda Lee and Johnny Tillotson do it too.  Connie Francis even did it in several different languages, including Japanese.  I hoped Tony Bennett and "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" would show up in that category, but no such link.

I have been very interested in Titanic for years, so I could rule her out immediately.  I wasn't at all confident in Lusitania but was fortunate in that I couldn't think of anything else plausible.  I appreciated Mayim's thorough explanation of why the misspelling wasn't disqualifying under their rules, even though it seemed a little silly somehow.

I'm pleased for Matt, if nonplussed because I recall others like Julia Collins and Arthur Chu gaining more mainstream coverage for fewer wins.  Maybe the host stuff sucked all the air from the room.  It's hard to feel too bad for someone who's made a million from trivia, but most national stories I remember seeing are whining about "what's..."

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It cracked me up, though, when she got "Rebecca".  When the contestant's name is the correct response...

Ohhh, thank you. I thought the laughter moment was because she finally got a novel clue right. She mentioned that she used to work in a bookstore in her interview. I had forgotten her name was Rebecca, but I get it now!

24 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I appreciated Mayim's thorough explanation of why the misspelling wasn't disqualifying under their rules, even though it seemed a little silly somehow.

I liked that, too. I'm sure the show doesn't want another "emanciptation" brouhaha. I know I don't. As with that game, the ruling on the spelling in this game would not have changed the outcome anyway. But it's nice to explain the reasoning, especially for more casual viewers.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4

Just in case I wasn’t the only one who failed to notice that Matt’s million-topping score was a palindromic number:

ETA: It appears the palindromic, million dollar-topping number was partially set in place by Matt’s $1 FJ wager on the last game of Season 37, which was a tie-lock, so perhaps Matt believed Nicolle was faster on the buzzer than he:   
fikklefame.com/matt-amodios-jeopardy-statistics  
—the lock-tie game:   
j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7123

but also by his puzzling (to me) wager Friday of $17,000 when he could have wagered up to $17,399 without incurring any additional risk:   
j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7151

I hope the palindromic number was worth $399.

I just replied to Matt’s tweet with:  
You spent $399 on a palindrome? 
</mom-question>

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I initially thought Titanic as well, but also changed it in time to the correct response. 

The only TS I got was phone, although I'm not sure I could have specified princess phone.  If I were Matt, it wouldn't matter -- it would be given to me anyway, but who knows if another contestant would have to BMS for just phone.

She probably forgot the category.  I did!  It cracked me up, though, when she got "Rebecca".  When the contestant's name is the correct response...

I'm a little sad that the rabbit theme didn't continue the whole week.  That would have been fun.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

That's why I missed I.M. Pei.

Remembering the category wouldn't have helped me. I actually had his name in my mind, because he's the only architect I think of immediately. But it never made it out of my mouth.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

With 3 out of 5 FJs this week, maybe I should have joined the contest thread. (Just kidding. This is probably an anomaly due to the rabbits earlier in the week.)

Please come join us. It's fun, we don't take ourselves too seriously, and we come up with creative meals to enjoy together. This week you'd be at my table. 😊

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

All of Matt's interview stories have been self-deprecating humor. That contrasts with that Ryan guy on the ToC who told about the scores of women who were after him as a boyfriend in his interview, so many he had to fend them off.

I have no idea where answers come from that float into my brain after a clue is read. Like Hanseatic League. I don't even know what that is yet my brain answered that clue. If I could stay home and send my brain to compete on the show, we'd be golden.

Hooray for that hyphen in the FJ clue. There's a difference between 19-teens and 19 teens!

One of my benchmarks for liking a celebrity is whether or not they are self deprecating. That's always a plus in my book.

I got Hanseatic too - I think it's only because it's been on Jeopardy often, and recently, I think.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just in case I wasn’t the only one who failed to notice that Matt’s million-topping score was a palindromic number:

ETA: It appears the palindromic, million dollar-topping number was partially set in place by Matt’s $1 FJ wager on the last game of Season 37, which was a tie-lock, so perhaps Matt believed Nicolle was faster on the buzzer than he:   
fikklefame.com/matt-amodios-jeopardy-statistics  
—the lock-tie game:   
j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7123

but also by his puzzling (to me) wager Friday of $17,000 when he could have wagered up to $17,399 without incurring any additional risk:   
j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7151

I hope the palindromic number was worth $399.

I just replied to Matt’s tweet with:  
You spent $399 on a palindrome? 
</mom-question>

I didn't even notice it was palindromic. Well played, Matt, well played.

I did fairly well, though I didn't run anything. I did manage Lusitania - by way of Bismark (wrong time, wrong side in the war).

Though I had one, I didn't get  Princess phone (though I did say "different colored phones). Mine was pink,  which I hated (my parents selected the color, if there was a choice) because as a burgeoning feminist, I decided I should hate the color pink. <shrug>

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had to go look at the archive to refresh my memory about the wording.  The category was "Royalty" so I think the "princess" part would have been required to make it fit the clue.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

J! Archive has rolled out a new feature: j-archive.com/showrecentcategories.php will get you the categories only from the most recent game.  (A caveat is that any special commentary at the top, such as "Matt breaks the $1 million mark," is currently included, so you still have to squint.  But they're seeing about removing that field too.)

Very cool. Thank you! My main problem is accidentally moving my mouse over the FJ clue and revealing the answer, and then sometimes when I move away it still shows for several seconds. Don't know if that's something with the site or my computer (which is old and cranky). I try to look away and scroll up to get it off the page but I'm not always quick enough. So categories-only will be helpful. Just added it to my bookmarks bar.

8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

most national stories I remember seeing are whining about "what's..."

Yeah, it's getting old.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

lol...I definitely missed that. I felt like there must be something significant about it since it was a very specific number with no reason to even wager anything (as far as the game itself; obviously he was betting enough to be over a million) but I hadn't looked close enough to figure it out. I probably would have bet enough to make it an even million, just for the hell of it. Not that I'll ever have the chance.

14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Remembering the category wouldn't have helped me. I actually had his name in my mind, because he's the only architect I think of immediately. But it never made it out of my mouth.

He's the only Asian one I can name. But then there aren't too many others I can name, either, so that doesn't mean much.

• Love 3