Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 9/24/2021 at 11:01 AM, Clanstarling said:

I don't think Matt's that deadpan, except during the actual game. He has a sweet smile and manner during the non intense parts of the show. So, I guess that does mean he's deadpan for most of the show. Look at that, I just talked myself out of my point. LOL.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:54 AM, DougJones said:

There’s just some factor about Matt that makes me want to keep watching. His dry, dead pan demeanor, the way he answers people clues as “what is (last name)”, or his interesting stories after the first break. I’m going to keep watching until he loses but I hope he will become as popular as the big 3

I don't think he's deadpan at all. He always does that sly little smile when he answers a question correctly. If he was deadpan, he wouldn't show that reaction. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have to admit I was surprised no one got Maya, even with a picture.

Oh, I didn't even register there was a picture (since I was reading the archive rather than watching the show).  Wow.  That is surprising - and sad.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2021 at 12:16 PM, shapeshifter said:

Back in the early 70s in Champaign IL (campus of UIUC) there was a live-music bar called The Red Lion Inn, and when one of the regular bands played--"The All Star Frogs"--the harmonica player would *hop* down from the stage to lead a dance they called "The Frog," which was really a Conga dance.

But no, the clue for that TS did not give me a clue.

I lived next door to the Red Lion  in 74/75.  One Saturday we listened, from our living room, to Iron Butterfly doing Inna Gadda Devita or however it’s spelt.  Duke Tomato and the All Star Frogs.  Duke’s wife was my advisor and she went to high school with my sister.  I am not watching til Matt’s run is over.  I hate runaway games. 

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I lived next door to the Red Lion  in 74/75.  One Saturday we listened, from our living room, to Iron Butterfly doing Inna Gadda Devita or however it’s spelt.  Duke Tomato and the All Star Frogs.  Duke’s wife was my advisor and she went to high school with my sister.  I am not watching til Matt’s run is over.  I hate runaway games. 

On 9/25/2021 at 1:55 PM, SHD said:

Duke Tumatoe and the All Star Frogs!

Replied in the Small Talk thread: 
forums.primetimer.com/topic/2175-small-talk-ill-take-non-show-chat-for-400-alex/?do=findComment&comment=7031186

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

But J! is super careful to avoid anything that smacks of rigging.

Except when selecting a new host.... but they did backtrack on that once they got caught.

When I saw "Rock Legends" for the FJ category, I really wanted it to turn out to be about geology and not music. Blarney Stone? Mt Rushmore? 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Oh no! Not on in NY at 7:00 because of NJ governor debate. 
Does anybody know when it will be on?

From thejeopardyfan: Important note for those in the New York City or Philadelphia broadcast area, or if you watch the show on WABC or WPVI: Tonight’s game will be airing overnight in both of these markets due to the New Jersey gubernatorial debate. Make sure to check your local listings as to when the episode will actually be airing.

19 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Oh no! Not on in NY at 7:00 because of NJ governor debate. 
Does anybody know when it will be on?

3 am, apparently. I glanced up just in time to catch it on the screen.

Curse you, gubernatorial debate!!!

On the other hand...I'm off tomorrow...I could conceivably stay up and watch it...

• Love 2

My friend has to move the start time of our weekly phone call up to 7:00 tonight (which is when the show airs in my market), and said she knows my willingness to miss J! is a tremendous gesture of love.  😀  So I just "played" via the archive.

I was terrible in the Books For Kids category; despite being a voracious reader as a child, the only one of those I'd read was Harriet the Spy (and I read it many, many times).  I got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I only ran anatomy, but still had a decent round:  I missed two each in Rome, roles, and speeches, and one each in vocabulary (I'd never heard of the color vermilion) and middle names (I'd never come across Kobe Bryant's).

FJ was an instaget, so I had a good game overall.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was ridiculously easy.

Again, it's only EIYKI. I picked the "other" A continent. Didn't even think of Africa.

Matt continues to entertain me with his self-effacing interview stories.

There is a sub reddit that is keeping track of Matt's daily clothing choices. So hilarious.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

Normally it doesn't bother me but seriously .......BE MORE SPECIFIC!!!

Accepted Jackson and Williams with nothing else.  I don't doubt they knew the answers but still, getting ridiculous.  

Also the star trek clue may be the easiest in the history of the show. 

• Love 9

I got FJ and thought Matt's little fake out was cute. 
When the category was announced, I thought: How many can there be? and wondered if Matt would bet large. I did take a moment to consider "continental drift" but didn't let my mind drift further into what ifs.

I did very well throughout and thought maybe they were "easier," but I guess it's just "What I know" combined with my state of mind at the moment. Right before Jeopardy!, I went for a walk to catch the sunset over Lake Ontario, ran into a friend, and came home to eat a sandwich with lots of red leaf lettuce. Heh, I guess that'll do it.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Accepted Jackson and Williams with nothing else.  I don't doubt they knew the answers but still, getting ridiculous. 

Okay. I've been okay (pretty much) with Matt's only using last names, but "Jackson" and "Williams" bothered me this time, perhaps because I did not know it was Samuel L. Jackson when Matt gave the correct question, but then it just bugged me that Stu was seemingly emulating Matt for a question that I knew named the tragically dead-before-his-time Robin Williams.

ETA: Maybe it bugged me because Mayim didn't fill in the missing parts of the names to identify the specific Jackson and Williams? I'll have to check my DVD before erasing for tomorrow.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Normally it doesn't bother me but seriously .......BE MORE SPECIFIC!!!

I normally brush off all the BMS hubbub but I mean, JACKSON? Sure, no one would answer thinking it was Janet/Michael/Randy/Andrew or any other Jackson, but still. 

Though I was glad to see that someone else benefitted from the lack of BMS so people might stop saying it’s all to help Matt. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

There was a similar FJ clue about U2 ("In 2017 this band whose singer goes by a nickname became the first to have No.1 albums in the U.S. in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s & 2010s") back in July; is it possible that's what you're remembering?

Yes.

Possibly? I didn't guess Bob Dylan to that though! (I won't embarrass myself a second time by re-posting my awful guess 😂). More likely my brain is conflating that clue with something else.

I immediately said Africa for FJ today, then spent the rest of the time trying to figure out how it could be so obvious and could that really be the correct answer?! My dad was a geography teacher, so I have known from the time I was in kindergarten that the Prime Meridian goes through Greenwich, England. From there, not hard to figure out that Africa is south of Europe. Glad to finally get an FJ that doesn't rely on my ignorance.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Decided I can't stay up until 3:30; played the archive: 73% / 67% / 69%

Ran Poisons and Gray's Anatomy, only missed one each in Signs and Books, got all the DDs and TSes of Dakota and Elle (Fanning) and anthrax.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Again, it's only EIYKI. I picked the "other" A continent. Didn't even think of Africa.

Matt continues to entertain me with his self-effacing interview stories.

There is a sub reddit that is keeping track of Matt's daily clothing choices. So hilarious.

I thought of it then overthought it and picked the other one as well.

Will have to look for the game on youtube tomorrow; I still wanna watch if I can. 

Why can't I find this subreddit? Do you have a link? I need some hilarity today.

• Love 1

I was going to say that I might be tempted to bet big on an FJ with a relatively limited number of potential answers, but then it occurred to me that "The Continents" doesn't necessarily mean the response they're looking for will be one of them.  Eh, I still think I would have found the category tempting.  I did know it was Africa.

I've achieved serenity regarding BMS, and I admit I haven't minded Mayim often repeating the answer with the missing first name or whatever else.  If they're not going to require it of the contestants, fine, I suppose.  But I still want that info filled in for viewer edification.  What if I had no idea who played in "Good Will Hunting"?

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I've achieved serenity regarding BMS, and I admit I haven't minded Mayim often repeating the answer with the missing first name or whatever else.  If they're not going to require it of the contestants, fine, I suppose.  But I still want that info filled in for viewer edification.  What if I had no idea who played in "Good Will Hunting"?

Yeah, I don't mind it for that. The archive didn't specify the first names and I had to think for a second to come up with Jackson's first name (haven't seen the movie in question, though the "swearing" bit in the clue should have tipped me off).

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

See if this will lead you to it. I follow Claire and that's how I discovered the AmodioRodeo.

I don’t remember who Clair (McNear) is, but googling AmodioRodeo (never heard of that before either) led me to it. I don’t follow Twitter or Reddit either, but I could see it.

I forgot to add, and I suppose it may just be a matter of taste or a grouchy mood, but I thought Mayim went a bit OTT at the end there.  "Wow!  You took a really big risk!  That was so fun to watch!"  In general, I just don't like having these things narrated to me.  I believe it was authentic too, only a little much.  It was a good win, about $70K more than I made today, but the result wasn't in question, the wager was less than half his total, and the clue wasn't a massive head-scratcher either.  I don't know, maybe I've just been desensitized to large wins recently?

28 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I don’t remember who Clair (McNear) is

She writes regularly about the show for a site called "The Ringer," which I think is largely sports-oriented.  She broke the story about Richards' podcast and before that wrote a book on the show's history.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I forgot to add, and I suppose it may just be a matter of taste or a grouchy mood, but I thought Mayim went a bit OTT at the end there.  "Wow!  You took a really big risk!  That was so fun to watch!"

I was appalled. Thought it was wildly inappropriate. (YMMV)

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought they were going to ask the name of the character (but then I think they said it...) But yeah, Star Trek was definitely easy. To me and those of us who watched it, that is.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I thought of it then overthought it and picked the other one as well.

That happened to me as well. But then, the moment it said Continents I groaned, it's just another geography question, which isn't my strong suit to say the least.

6 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I didn't think anyone could surpass James but I think Matt will do it.

In number of games, I think he will too. And it will be this week if it happens. Friday, I think, if I counted right. He'd have to win more than 2,520,700 to beat him in terms of winnings (James surpassed Ken by slightly less than $100 dollars - didn't do the math). We paused Jeopardy and looked it up.

I was pleased that I got Nova Scotia. Generally only I only get Quebec, because the French names give it away. And I actually got Robespierre for once!

I did better in the second round than the first, but didn't run any categories. Missed Triskelion because we were busy thinking of Star Trek. (okay, the word in the clue is Triskeleton, but still...)

• Love 3

Loved the Province clues - thanks to family connections (Father Grundoon was born in Nova Scotia), geographic proximity (Detroit being a border city) and plenty of time watching CBC, I did well. 

But my favorite clue was the Quebec one mentioning Gaspe.  Part of the Grundoon Parents' honeymoon was on the Gaspe peninsula en route to Maine so that Mother Grundoon could meet those of my dad's family who hadn't been able to come to the wedding.  The local small town newspaper where Mom grew up and where the wedding was held reported that the newly married couple would be honeymooning in the Gas Bay area of Quebec.  It was a family laughline for years.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

In number of games, I think he will too. And it will be this week if it happens. Friday, I think, if I counted right.

7 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I didn't think anyone could surpass James but I think Matt will do it.

Last night's win was #30 for Matt. James had 32 regular season wins. So a win Thursday ties Matt with James for regular season wins, and a win Friday will surpass James.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Last night's win was #30 for Matt. James had 32 regular season wins. So a win Thursday ties Matt with James for regular season wins, and a win Friday will surpass James.

I don't even want to think about it. I hope he does, but all it takes is one missed DD with a big bet or another contestant to get lucky with DDs and it could all be over, no matter how great a player Matt is. And I'm sure HE already knows so I get nervous when I read any of his Twitter posts, trying to read into them if he's hinting his run is almost over or not! LOL

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

I don't even want to think about it. I hope he does, but all it takes is one missed DD with a big bet or another contestant to get lucky with DDs and it could all be over, no matter how great a player Matt is. And I'm sure HE already knows so I get nervous when I read any of his Twitter posts, trying to read into them if he's hinting his run is almost over or not! LOL

Exactly how I feel too 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was trying to think of the character's name while Sarah was giving the clue, but then she gave that, and yeah, Star Trek super easy.

BTW, is this the first epi in a while that they've used the clue crew or have I just not noticed?

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

BTW, is this the first epi in a while that they've used the clue crew or have I just not noticed?

I believe it's their first full category this season.  Occasionally they have spare clues peppered here and there, but I don't remember whether there have been any of those recently.  The other two special video categories so far have been 1 "indulging our local affiliate's news team" and 1 "promoting an upcoming docuseries."  I would venture to say that 1 per week feels like par for the course lately, but I'm always happy to see more of the Clue Crew.  (I know the video clues drive the team at the J! Archive up the wall, though.)

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think so. I was hoping this museum was in NYC, because pandemic willing, I'll be there next spring, and I'd really like to visit it. But I don't have the funds for an additional leg on my trip. So I guess the Met will have to suffice. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Star Trek was definitely easy.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Star Trek super easy.

All right, I'll confess I did not get it. It's because Sarah said, "Nichelle Nichols, who shared one of TV's first interracial kisses with William Shatner, & who would later help NASA recruit more women & minorities for the space program, wore this uniform..." I stopped listening here and said "redshirt " (though she wasn't). (The clue finished, "as Lieutenant Uhura on this series.")

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

All right, I'll confess I did not get it. It's because Sarah said, "Nichelle Nichols, who shared one of TV's first interracial kisses with William Shatner, & who would later help NASA recruit more women & minorities for the space program, wore this uniform..." I stopped listening here and said "redshirt " (though she wasn't). (The clue finished, "as Lieutenant Uhura on this series.")

Well that's a totally reasonable reason you didn't get it, imo.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Well that's a totally reasonable reason you didn't get it, imo.

I agree.  The clues with multiple "this"es annoy me.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was ridiculously easy.

I'm rather surprised that was a FJ clue.  Even if none of the three knew that fact (entirely possible), pretty much every J! contestant in the history of the show (hell, pretty much everyone who's ever looked at a map) would guess either Africa or Asia.  So to select for FJ a 50/50 clue seemed a little weird.

20 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It was very much a $200 clue, that's for sure.  I've never seen an episode of the show, but it's so prevalent in pop culture that William Shatner + space program got me there immediately (and I'm sure the picture of her in uniform further signaled it had to be a sci-fi series [I didn't see it, as I was just reading the clues on the archive, not watching]).  I knew the only way I'd be wrong is if it was another title in the Trek franchise (I have no idea if he appeared in any of the spinoffs or what they're called), but at $200 I figured I was safe.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Instaget FJ on Tuesday's show, but then I waffled, second-guessing myself because it seemed too easy.  Fortunately, I stuck with my initial impulse.

The only TS I got was Dakota and Elle Fanning.  I should have gotten anthrax, but had mental flatulence and couldn't come up with it in time.  

Not a great game tonight - 63% / 57% / 59%

Only one DD and no TS (though there were only a couple in the whole game; one in each round, I think).

I greatly enjoyed Johnny's renditions of 80s tunes. Sadly I blanked on a couple of them (and I used to be able to play We Are the World on the piano, too).

4 hours ago, dcalley said:

I initially said Starfleet until I realized they were asking for the show and not the uniform.

17 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Matt actually had to give a first name! ("Who is Roosevelt?"  "More information". "Eleanor"). Took them awhile to decide that they needed a first name, however.

I really hope they tighten that kind of thing up, especially now that they are at least a little more stabilized on the host situation (I was giving them a little leeway with all the guests only there for a week or two, but now they need to get it together). Also not sure if there have been changes in who is doing the judging off screen; I thought I read that Mike was the main judge but I'm not sure. 

• Love 2

I had a special rooting interest in tonight's game: Daniel Pecoraro was a student of mine back in 2007-08! He founded the Trivia and Knowledge Club at our school, where we frequently play Jeopardy! I would have been over the moon if he had dethroned Matt, but alas it was not to be. I was disappointed that he missed the mythology question in FJ, since I taught him Classical Greek, but Centaur wasn't a bad guess. At least he knew Hippocrene was somehow related to a horse.

• Love 20

I surprised myself by guessing correctly for FJ!  I knew "hippo" = horse, and was torn between centaur and Pegasus, but chose the correct response in plenty of time to write it down.

I did not get any TS.  Boo, hiss.  So glad, though, that they finally made Matt give a first name.

Loved the 80s music category, though I felt stupid for missing "We Are The World".  It was inescapable back in the day, both on the radio and MTV.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Matt actually had to give a first name! ("Who is Roosevelt?"  "More information". "Eleanor"). Took them awhile to decide that they needed a first name, however.

And I didn’t even understand why on this one. Would anyone really think it was Teddy’s wife?

12 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I had a special rooting interest in tonight's game: Daniel Pecoraro was a student of mine back in 2007-08! He founded the Trivia and Knowledge Club at our school, where we frequently play Jeopardy! I would have been over the moon if he had dethroned Matt, but alas it was not to be. I was disappointed that he missed the mythology question in FJ, since I taught him Classical Greek, but Centaur wasn't a bad guess. At least he knew Hippocrene was somehow related to a horse.

I think he would’ve steamrolled over “regular” contestants. He did a great job!

• Love 6