Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

How did they accept "Color Purple" as a correct answer? The title of the book is "The Color Purple". Would they have accepted just Purple? I don't think so. 

they allow you to leave off the article at the beginning of a title.  It does kind of bug me, though. Does that save that much time, Matt?

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They really should have had mayim do wind beneath my wings.

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

I totally missed the connection. Thanks!

I was surprised Matt got Valerie Bertinelli, to be honest.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I was surprised Matt got Valerie Bertinelli, to be honest.

I finally got my chance to be offended by Matt. “What’s Bertinelli “. How dare he 😡

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I had a special rooting interest in tonight's game: Daniel Pecoraro was a student of mine back in 2007-08! He founded the Trivia and Knowledge Club at our school, where we frequently play Jeopardy! I would have been over the moon if he had dethroned Matt, but alas it was not to be. I was disappointed that he missed the mythology question in FJ, since I taught him Classical Greek, but Centaur wasn't a bad guess. At least he knew Hippocrene was somehow related to a horse.

Your student, @GreekGeek, Daniel Pecoraro, did very well. Had he hit the DDs, even against Matt he'd have won. But Matt hits so many DDs because he gets so many correct too.

I did not do well. Not my categories, and I'm tired.

56 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Matt actually had to give a first name! ("Who is Roosevelt?"  "More information". "Eleanor"). Took them awhile to decide that they needed a first name, however.

Yes. Shouldn't Mayim have said, "Be more specific" instead of waiting silently?

4 minutes ago, SHD said:

And I didn’t even understand why on this one. Would anyone really think it was Teddy’s wife?

Oh! That must be why. I wondered too.
BTW, I did rewatch yesterday with Matt and Stu replying with just Jackson and Williams, and, yes, the reason it bothered me was actually because Mayim did not supply the first names--perhaps for her first time? 
And then, today, she waited silently for a beat for a first name before saying anything.
It seems to me like there may be a bit of backstage discussion going on regarding this rule, which bugs me if that's the case. Rules should be clear and consistent, IMO, although it real life they rarely are.

And, speaking of rules:

9 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

How did they accept "Color Purple" as a correct answer? The title of the book is "The Color Purple". Would they have accepted just Purple? I don't think so. 

There is a Jeopardy! rule that states that it is not necessary to give the first-word article (a, an, the) as part of the question.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I just looked at it again, and she was indeed wearing pants. Shows how much I was paying attention.

Normally not something I would think twice about, but I remember reading from various sources that she didn’t wear pants. Of course that doesn’t mean that it’s true. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, SHD said:

And I didn’t even understand why on this one. Would anyone really think it was Teddy’s wife?

I agree. The only reason I even know Teddy had a wife is that I know there was only 1 bachelor president, and he isn't it. But everyone knows Eleanor. I think this was more of a technicality than an actual attempt to challenge the contestant.

40 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I thought they don't require articles. like A and The.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Didn’t she say something like “More information, please” or “More information needed”?

• Love 1

The exception to the "no leading article required" rule, which is not pertinent to the case we're discussing but which I find interesting, is when there is another notable work with that title.  The example I've seen given is that "Invisible Man" would not be accepted for the HG Wells novel "The Invisible Man," because of the Ralph Ellison novel of that name.

I thought the tee-up, “a weather event had a major impact on where you lived during one of your semester breaks,” meant something like “I couldn’t visit X because of a disaster so I ended up in Y instead."  I don't envy them all trying to tease out a 30th anecdote, but "food spoiled in our fridge while we were away" was a letdown from my imagination.

I don't care for terms like "the flyovers" and have thought that it would be nice to have something similar but less dismissive.  I will try to remember "non-coastal America," although that's not quite perfect either.  The clues in that category were pretty good too. I have a lot left to learn about those parts of the country.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, opus said:

I finally got my chance to be offended by Matt. “What’s Bertinelli “. How dare he 😡

Oh @opus, I thought that was a total shout out to you. No offense intended!

I thought Daniel did very well, he needs to be proud of his showing. And centaur was a pretty good wrong answer. I knew the answer was a horse of course and for some reason I thought wings was part of the clue but I just couldn't dredge up his name. I could picture him in my mind but he refused to get on my tongue to fly out of my mouth.

I am surprisingly pleased with Mayim as host.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Normally not something I would twice about, but I remember reading from various sources that she didn’t wear pants. Of course that doesn’t mean that it’s true. 

On her show, “Call Me Kat,” in the first two episodes, a green pantsuit plays a role, and she wears it in at least one scene. I haven’t watched any more episodes yet.

• Useful 2

10 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

On her show, “Call Me Kat,” in the first two episodes, a green pantsuit plays a role, and she wears it in at least one scene. I haven’t watched any more episodes yet.

Interesting...there was one episode on BBT where she wore sweatpants for one scene but I remember reading that it was kind of a big deal for her to agree to it. I have seen it written multiple times that she doesn't wear pants outside her home.

Here is her walkout tonight:

image.png.b3677a8f7cf1e23e9b54be41be08aaff.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Oh @opus, I thought that was a total shout out to you. No offense intended!

Truthfully, despite my fake outrage, I precalled it when the category came up, and was honored she’s now part of Matt’s “What’s” collection.

• Love 5

I found the '80s songs category with Johnny Gilbert reciting the lyrics fun, but when the first one was "Wind Beneath My Wings", I wished Mayim was doing it. 

The intangible TS surprised me a bit.

I missed one each in monkeys, business (I could not get pass-through from my brain to my mouth!) and webcams (had no idea where Cape Fear is off the coast of, and I'm normally pretty good with geography), but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I only ran TV kitchens, but still had a good round.  I missed one in CL, and two each in the rest (including the low-valued Louis XIV clue, which was rather embarrassing even though only my cat was here to see it).

To the surprise of absolutely no one, I did not know FJ.  I would have to spend so much time studying religion/mythology if I ever wanted to try out for the show.  (I just know the categories of my audition test would be The Bible, Opera, Sci-Fi, Today's Pop Music, Wars By Battle, and Video Games.)

As for Mayim's pants, which I read about earlier today, I saw her on What Not to Wear a long time ago, and I believe she stated she does not wear pants in public.  This article says the same.  But both were quite some time ago; this one is much more recent and she says she "hardly ever" does.  So perhaps she has loosened up, perhaps wearing pants as J! host is the same to her as wearing them for a fictional role, who knows.  It doesn't seem like anything someone at J!/Sony would try to force (hell, Mike Richards would be more likely to try to get her in a shorter skirt), and she doesn't seem like someone who would acquiesce if they did, so this game's wardrobe selection was presumably her choice, in which case - good for her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Didn’t she say something like “More information, please” or “More information needed”?

Yes, she did.

For FJ, I kept thinking of Hyppolita, but I couldn't remember who she was, and of course she had nothing to do with the actual issue at hand. I would not be a contestant on this show. I have too much random data in my head that isn't properly organized.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not to be all fashion obsessed, but is this the first time we’ve seen Mayim in slacks? 

And I guess NMI is the new BMS?

She wore pants on The Late, Late Show last night too

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have always been under the (mistaken) impression that Perseus flew to Medusa ON PEGASUS, so Pegasus couldn't have sprung from her blood. (Unless, of course, she cut herself trimming her snake-bangs.)  Needless to say, I blew FJ.

Maybe he did in Clash of the Titans. It's been ages since I saw the 80's movie, and I didn't see the remake.

It was a different hero, Bellerophon, who flew on Pegasus to kill the Chimera. He then tried to ride Pegasus to Mount Olympus, but Pegasus threw him off. 

For FJ, I kept thinking of Hyppolita, but I couldn't remember who she was, and of course she had nothing to do with the actual issue at hand.

She was the Queen of the Amazons. Theseus had an affair with her, and married her in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

• Useful 2

I had read some of your comments before the show came on tonight in California, and I was prepared for the Eleanor Roosevelt thing and The Color Purple.  But one answer that made me yelp was - and I don't even remember the question exactly ("answer") was "the Great British Baking --something"--.  one syllable word --  which sounded wrong to me.   Because in my market here it's called The Great British Baking Show, and that wasn't the response that was given.   Maybe they asked for the name it has in England ?  Did I mis-hear the question or the answer?  

Sorry, this probably is dumb, but it's still bothering me four hours later! 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Chippings said:

Maybe they asked for the name it has in England ?

Yes, they needed to respond with the British name of the show:  "The Great British Bake Off".  The name was changed in the USA because of the Pillsbury Bake Off.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I had a special rooting interest in tonight's game: Daniel Pecoraro was a student of mine back in 2007-08! He founded the Trivia and Knowledge Club at our school, where we frequently play Jeopardy! I would have been over the moon if he had dethroned Matt, but alas it was not to be. I was disappointed that he missed the mythology question in FJ, since I taught him Classical Greek, but Centaur wasn't a bad guess. At least he knew Hippocrene was somehow related to a horse.

No one likes to disappoint their former teacher.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Loved the 80s music category, though I felt stupid for missing "We Are The World".  It was inescapable back in the day, both on the radio and MTV.

I missed it because it was inescapable - I stopped listening to the lyrics pretty quickly.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

As I recall, Alex would occasionally wait to allow the contestant to fill it in, perhaps not as long as Mayim did, though I don't remember it being a long time.

11 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I thought the tee-up, “a weather event had a major impact on where you lived during one of your semester breaks,” meant something like “I couldn’t visit X because of a disaster so I ended up in Y instead."  I don't envy them all trying to tease out a 30th anecdote, but "food spoiled in our fridge while we were away" was a letdown from my imagination.

I don't care for terms like "the flyovers" and have thought that it would be nice to have something similar but less dismissive.  I will try to remember "non-coastal America," although that's not quite perfect either.  The clues in that category were pretty good too. I have a lot left to learn about those parts of the country.

I barely heard the set up - so I wasn't disappointed, though I opined on the couch that there were probably things growing in there already, based on my experience with college students.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

For FJ, I kept thinking of Hyppolita, but I couldn't remember who she was, and of course she had nothing to do with the actual issue at hand. I would not be a contestant on this show. I have too much random data in my head that isn't properly organized.

My mythology expert (daughter) and I both said Hypollita. I read up on the myth after, and there are apparently two versions. One was quite gruesome (she birthed Pegasus while her head was being cut off).

At first I didn't think Roosevelt needed more specificity, as I had it in my head that Teddy's wife had died, so there was no other wife to consider. I read up, and boy was I wrong. I focused on the tragedy in his life, not the second marriage with tons of other kids.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

"food spoiled in our fridge while we were away" was a letdown from my imagination.

I thought Mayim totally stole that interview when she concluded that she didn't know college guys would even have any food in their fridge.

Touché and well done, Madam!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

@GreekGeek, Andy over at TheJeopardyFan has nice things to say about your former student Daniel as do some of the posters at the bottom of today's page. Just don't scroll down until after today's show airs or you will be spoiled for today's results.

Andy also links to Matt's Twitter where Matt defends his fellow players who trolls are calling "sub par." Matt is very much a class act.

• Love 12

It was an archive game for me, since I'll be watching football tonight.

If I'm reading the archive correctly, the Black Hole of Calcutta clue read "us seeb" instead of "is seen"?!  This is a show in which a freakin' typo should never make air.

It's Smokey Bear, not Smokey THE Bear.  Grrr.

I missed the first clue, and missed four more in the first round, so not my best but not bad.

In DJ, though, I was terrible; I only ran geography, and missed thirteen clues across the rest (I don't think seeing the visual clues in the Selfies category would have helped me; I suspect marble is the only one I'd have known, so I have to give myself four misses there). 

FJ took a bit to come to me, and I'm not sure I could have written it down in time if I was playing, but I'm giving myself credit to make me feel better after my DJ performance.

Ugh, I don't even want to say my score tonight. But I will, cuz I know y'all won't judge me…

50% / 47% / 48%

I'm gonna blame the fact that I got a flu shot today and my arm hurts, because why not.

No DDs, one TS (Lady of Shallott), and no FJ (for which I feel really dumb).

Did not get a single clue in the $1600 row.

I don't normally comment on Mayim's clothes, but I'm sorry, that jacket/blouse combo was painful to look at.

16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's Smokey Bear, not Smokey THE Bear.  Grrr.

I thought the same thing, so I went a-googlin'...

From wikipedia:

>Smokey Bear (also sometimes called Smokey the Bear) is a mascot of the United States Forest Service.

>Smokey's correct name is Smokey Bear. In 1952, the songwriters Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins made a famous song named "Smokey the Bear". The pair said that "the" was added to Smokey's name to keep the song's rhythm. This small change has made people curious ever since.[3] Smokey's name is spelled differently from the word smoky on purpose.

So I guess the argument could be made that J! should accept it....

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Agreed with all y'all that it's Smokey Bear, not Smokey the Bear.  Grrr, indeed.

I got Lady of Shallot and encroachment, but I am embarrassed to admit that I did not get FJ.  In fact, I probably could have sat here for a long time and that not have entered my brain.  Seems obvious in retrospect -- no idea why my mind didn't go there.  However, I also never would have answered "Shrek".  My response?  Paul Bunyan!  Not the best, but at least it wasn't Shrek.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1

I'm really getting tired of runaway games.  Makes the show less fun.

Some people on this board said they noticed Matt being tired on Fridays (which are filmed at the end of the day), so maybe tomorrow will be his last day.  Now that he's tied James for 32 games, his name is for sure in the history books.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

No one knew Lady of Shallot :-(. And I think Mayim pronounced Shallot wrong. 

I was wondering; google's pronunciation doohickey gives two. The American pronunciation is sha·luht, with the accent on the first syllable (like Mayim said it); the British pronunciation is shuh·lot, with the accent on the second syllable (which is how I've always said it).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Matt doesn't know dog breeds. I will have to take him to a few dog shows. But in his defense, that Doberman photo was just another example of the really crap photos this show comes up with to illustrate AKC-registered dogs. The Dobe shown had a Rottweiler tail. The correct Dobe dock is at the 2-3  joint, Rott dock is at the 1 joint.

Plus that Dobe had uncropped ears, which ruins the Doberman's keen expression IMO and makes them look like C*** Hounds. The only way to tell the dog shown was a Dobe and not a Rott was the head. Cover up the head and it could have been a Rott ... or a docked C*** Hound.

My FJ answer from last Wednesday was a clue answer today. What goes 'round comes 'round!

Congrats to Matt for another win. I've never been so invested in this show and a player, ever. It just brightens my life to watch Matt every day.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 13
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My mythology expert (daughter) and I both said Hypollita.

That pleases my ego very much.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought Mayim totally stole that interview when she concluded that she didn't know college guys would even have any food in their fridge.

I think she's really making the interviews better with her responses to them. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I don't normally comment on Mayim's clothes, but I'm sorry, that jacket/blouse combo was painful to look at.

Indeed. I thought maybe it was my TV because there’s got to be a stylist on set, right? Each piece was great, but together they clashed horribly. Maybe something spilled on a different blouse and it was the only alternative? But then, lose the blazer. 

Back to the game:   
I thought I did well, but looking back at J!Archive: Nope. 👎 

I did know the OLD-SCHOOL SELFIES because art, and portrait painting in particular, is on of areas of knowledge. 

And I recognized the Doberman, because I’m old, and they were more common in the 1960s.

But FJ, CHILDREN'S LITERATURE, is also something I should know, especially anything that’s before 2000.  
But I got the “American” non-fairy tales of Paul Bunyan and Pecos Bill stuck in my head and then English stories like Peter Rabbit and Winnie the Pooh started invading my thoughts, and I couldn’t get them out to make room for any actual American fairytales.

I did not know Smokey the Bear is really Smokey Bear. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I was wondering; google's pronunciation doohickey gives two. The American pronunciation is sha·luht, with the accent on the first syllable (like Mayim said it); the British pronunciation is shuh·lot, with the accent on the second syllable (which is how I've always said it).

Ah, I’ve probably only heard the British pronunciation.   In connected news, PBS tonight showed Agatha Christie’s The Mirror Crack’d - the poem is where she got the title from. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.  And I don't mean to insult others's answers, but really, Shrek?

That was my response as well, but I think more likely she misread the clue and thought they wanted something from the year 2000, not 1900.

37 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But FJ, CHILDREN'S LITERATURE, is also something I should know, especially anything that’s before 2000.  
But I got the “American” non-fairy tales of Paul Bunyan and Pecos Bill stuck in my head and then English stories like Peter Rabbit and Winnie the Pooh started invading my thoughts, and I couldn’t get them out to make room for any actual American fairytales.

I too kept getting the English stories stuck in my head and couldn't move forward from that.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, secnarf said:
48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I too kept getting the English stories stuck in my head and couldn't move forward from that.

For myself, I'm claiming Buzzy's explanation for my embarrassing FJ failure:

In “the biz” we call this the “burden of knowledge” - when you know a lot about a subject and miss obvious answers cause you have to sift through so much. It is my excuse for doing poorly in pop music questions!

https://twitter.com/buzztronics/status/1440520643515072525?s=20

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Indeed. I thought maybe it was my TV because there’s got to be a stylist on set, right? Each piece was great, but together they clashed horribly. Maybe something spilled on a different blouse and it was the only alternative? But then, lose the blazer. 

I see a marked improvement in wardrobe choice and fit since her temporary stint so I think it is entirely possible that Mayim has fashion assistance from a stylist now that she is a permanent host. We expect that Savannah Guthrie and Robin Roberts who appear on daily morning shows know how to dress to flatter themselves as temporary hosts or know who to ask for advice. I expect Alex Trebek also had a stylist and/or wardrobe allowance or sponser. Although her personal choices are evident, I am pleased to see that Mayim is likely offered assistance from the show. 

Smoky Bear is the correct name. Matt did not get this correct and IMHO the points total should have been corrected. 

• Love 4