Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just replied to Matt’s tweet with:  
You spent $399 on a palindrome? 
</mom-question>

Someone else said he should have bet $12,998. I had to do the math; that would have put him at $999,999.

Edited by ams1001
typo
  • LOL 1

Titanic was 1912, so I knew that wasn't it.  Not sure why I know that fact other than due to general titanic pop culture disbursement. Do it was Lusitania by default.  Not many other choices.  

Also on my trip to Ireland in some random deserted but beautiful island part of the country my friends and I happened to come across the spot of the coast near where it sank. There is a small marker there explaining it, otherwise you'd have no idea that's where it happened. 

IM Pei designed the art museum at my alma mater, Indiana U., So I always know his answers. 

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I probably would have bet enough to make it an even million, just for the hell of it.

Given Matt's youth and that a million buck$ ain't what it used to be, I am dismayed that Matt (my imaginary Tee Vee son) didn't wager $399 more to max out his war chest. That's a pretty pricey palindrome. 

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got was phone, although I'm not sure I could have specified princess phone.

I'm still using a princess phone and tell anyone who asks that's what I'm calling on. It was a no brainer for me! Oh yeah, it's a corded land line.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I am dismayed that Matt (my imaginary Tee Vee son) didn't wager $399 more to max out his war chest.

$399 isn't all that much when you have a million plus another day to add more cash to the stash. And if things work out with my imaginary Tee Vee boyfriend, you could be my imaginary Tee Vee mom in law!

I think it's VERY COOL that someone noticed Matt's palindromic total. That's a real topper in my book. And yeah, worth 399 for sure.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Conga going unanswered was a little unexpected, too, since the clue gave two additional hints on top of the artist.

I blanked on it because to me, their signature song is "The Rhythm is Gonna Get You," but that made no sense with the clue mentioning a musical instrument.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SHD said:

I blanked on it because to me, their signature song is "The Rhythm is Gonna Get You," but that made no sense with the clue mentioning a musical instrument.

I love "The Rhythm is Gonna Get You" - but Conga is probably my favorite, even though I've never done the Conga, and think it looks pretty silly. (Never did the Macarena or Chicken Dance either)

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I love "The Rhythm is Gonna Get You" - but Conga is probably my favorite, even though I've never done the Conga, and think it looks pretty silly. (Never did the Macarena or Chicken Dance either)

Back in the early 70s in Champaign IL (campus of UIUC) there was a live-music bar called The Red Lion Inn, and when one of the regular bands played--"The All Star Frogs"--the harmonica player would *hop* down from the stage to lead a dance they called "The Frog," which was really a Conga dance.

But no, the clue for that TS did not give me a clue.

• LOL 2
38 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Back in the early 70s in Champaign IL (campus of UIUC) there was a live-music bar called The Red Lion Inn, and when one of the regular bands played--"The All Star Frogs"--the harmonica player would *hop* down from the stage to lead a dance they called "The Frog," which was really a Conga dance.

Duke Tumatoe and the All Star Frogs!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I thought CCR's s signature song was Fortunate Son because it's been used in movie soundtracks. I.M Pei shouldn't be in a Daily Double he's been used too often for that.

• Love 5

I had one of those phones and until now I didn't know that it was called a "princess phone." I had heard of "princess phones" but never looked into what they were because the very idea of calling a phone by that name disgusted me. So, I didn't realize that's what they looked like, or that I had one!

Fwiw, it was light blue. Just luck, though. I lived in a small town and there weren't a lot of options. I have literally never seen a pink one!

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Fwiw, it was light blue. Just luck, though. I lived in a small town and there weren't a lot of options. I have literally never seen a pink one!

Lucky you. (still hating on pink, after all these years...maybe I should grow up)

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Excuse me, I would like a word with you about CCR's signature song.

😉

I briefly thought that too, but then I realized that hordes of Tina fans would descend upon the show in outrage.

Edited by dankesean
  • LOL 7

I've been noticing a lot of comments about not getting the answer because the category was forgotten.  I have done this a lot myself lately.  I guess it's because they always start at the bottom now then cross the board, instead of the old way of starting at the top of one category and running it down.  Perhaps as was commented earlier, it's time for them to display the category above the clue on the screen.  Especially since they often use shortforms for the category when picking a clue, asking for 'Birds for $1000' rather than 'Sports Teams Named For Birds' (which would be an awesome category by the way.)

Edited by bankerchick
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I've been noticing a lot of comments about not getting the answer because the category was forgotten. 

Those people need to admit they have Severe Short-Term Memory Loss.

If it's such a huge problem, write the categories down on a paper you can reference during the show. Categories are on J6 which people can access/play before the show airs. I'm all for using one word to select the category, and skipping all over the board makes it fun for me. Keeps one's brain nimble. For anyone who can't keep up, there's always Wheel of Fortune, right?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

OK, I admit it.  I have severe short-term memory loss.  I'm not interested in writing categories down, and I don't usually go to J6 until after I've watched the game.  I have no objection to the players skipping all over the board.  I also don't particularly watch Wheel of Fortune.

Having said all that, I still don't see why they can't show the category on the screen when they show the clue.  I don't know that it's a 'huge problem' but many have commented on it, and I thought this was a place where we could vent or comment without our mental capacity being questioned or ridiculed?

• Love 22

I surprised myself by liking Mayim as host, although I am a staunch Buzzy fan and am hoping he gets the permanent gig. Thanks to the poster here who pointed out Matt's total Friday was a palindrome. That went completely over my head, but then pretty much all of the clues he knows and answers he gives are also over my head.

I like to see the other two players go big on DDs and pick the big money clues. Not that I want Matt to lose because I do not, but if I were going to get beaten by him I'd at least want to give it my best shot to win. All those players get a GFY from me.

• Love 7

What I've noticed is that the challengers are getting to buzz in more often. I don't know if they're getting faster or if Matt is slowing down. But it seemed to me that for a while, he was racking up the scores not only by betting big on the DDs, but also because the others didn't even get a chance since he beat them to the buzzer most of the time.

I don't know if this will be a lasting trend, but I noticed it in the most recent games last week.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

What I've noticed is that the challengers are getting to buzz in more often. I don't know if they're getting faster or if Matt is slowing down. But it seemed to me that for a while, he was racking up the scores not only by betting big on the DDs, but also because the others didn't even get a chance since he beat them to the buzzer most of the time.

I don't know if this will be a lasting trend, but I noticed it in the most recent games last week.

I noticed it too, maybe in the week before last too, and it also seemed to me that when the clues were instagets for me (i.e., easier) then the other players were more likely to buzz in before Matt. So I have been thinking that perhaps the clue writers were deliberately adding more easy clues to give Matt's opponents a little more of a fighting chance.

All and any posters on this thread should feel free to poke holes in my theory, or any of my conclusions based on unscientific, anecdotal evidence observed by this often sleepy observer.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So I have been thinking that perhaps the clue writers were deliberately adding more easy clues to give Matt's opponents a little more of a fighting chance.

I think the FCC would take a very dim view of this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think the FCC would take a very dim view of this.

Exactly.  Not even Mike Richards would be that reckless.

Besides, why would they want to?  They get more attention when a contestant goes on a long run; any viewers turning away out of boredom with runaway games are plenty offset with those who turn in to see if tonight will be the night the streak ends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

loathe Mayim Bialik...too perky and seems very fake. Ecchhh.

LOL.  That was my exact reaction to that young whippersnapper who took over for Art Fleming.  I guess I'm getting more tolerant in my old age.  (At least on some topics.)

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Not a great start to the week… 63% / 60% / 62%

Ran no categories, got 2 DDs and only 3 TSes (The Dougie, Maya Angelou, and grapefruit), and there were a bunch this game.

Very annoyed that I couldn't pull (Kit)Carson City out of my brain.

But I got FJ; I'm from his Hometown and his first album came out the year I was born (though we didn't move there until I was 2) so I better.

I liked the time-traveling baby story. :)

6 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I surprised myself by liking Mayim as host, although I am a staunch Buzzy fan and am hoping he gets the permanent gig. 

Also a Buzzy fan, but I will admit Mayim has gotten much better. I even kinda liked her tonight.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I'll be watching football tonight, so just checked the archive.

I had absolutely no idea what they wanted with the fist bump clue, even after I gave myself extra time.  I missed three in that category.  I also missed one in movie taglines (Back To the Future, which I should have figured out, but my mind went to Look Who's Talking), but got everything else in the first round (giving myself credit for triangle, sure that I'd have recognized it had I been able to hear the audio). 

In DJ, I missed three in the sailing category, and one each in noun (seeing the picture would not have helped me get the Swiss city) and Electoral College (unfortunately, Maine is the one of the two states with the district method I remember, and the clue asked for the other one).  I ran the rest (well, giving myself credit for ball lightning; I'm familiar with the phenomenon, so feel pretty sure I'd have identified it had I seen the pictures).  I thought I was going to blow daytime TV, as I don't watch anything during the day, but thanks to some lucky guesses I nailed it.

So other than those two weak categories, I was having a great game, and felt very confident in the FJ category, but when I clicked on the clue my brain froze.  A few moments later, I thought of Springsteen, but hadn't heard anything about a new album from him last year, so wasn't sure.  Not having any other guess, though, I went with him.

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

(giving myself credit for triangle, sure that I'd have recognized it had I been able to hear the audio). 

Yeah, it was pretty obvious. Though I didn't realize it was coming from my TV at first (it started playing while she was still reading). 

• Love 3

Dang it, I should have known FJ!  I started college in 1975 and this girl down the hall from NJ kept playing an album from some guy she and her friends would go listen to down the shore. He did okay for himself. All I could dredge up was Rod Stewart. 

• LOL 7

I didn't get FJ, but I won't embarrass myself with my answer.

I got the missed clues of Carson city, Kuwait City, Young & the Restless, Maya Angelou and grapefruit.

I got the entire category of daytime tv right.

• Love 1

Was I the only one that was like "peaches..." when she said sometimes grows on peach trees. Which technically is not wrong lol.

I was shocked at myself I got FJ. I know little to nothing about music but my husband knows a lot and I guess I've learned from him. 

Edited by blueray
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, blueray said:

Was I the only one that was like "peaches..." when she said sometimes grows on peach trees. Which technically is not wrong lol

I was right there with you, until I thought, what was the category? Oh yeah, 9-letter nouns 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, it was pretty obvious. Though I didn't realize it was coming from my TV at first (it started playing while she was still reading). 

That’s my work phone ring and let me tell you I panicked when I heard it!   (I’m not in a cool life or death profession but it’s never good to get a call after work hours).  I ran African American authors and guessed McCartney for FJ.  Loving  Matt’s run!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I could have sworn I heard the exact clue of FJ before...and answered Bob Dylan wrongly then too. I was 100% sure it was wrong this time around, but couldn't recall the correct answer. I also have no idea where I might have heard the clue before.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

All and any posters on this thread should feel free to poke holes in my theory, or any of my conclusions based on unscientific, anecdotal evidence observed by this often sleepy observer.

I've noticed that they like to keep on the long term winners. They get more views that way, but not from me.

I also don't like to see the men who seem to have either that visual memory or clues. For me it is not as interesting.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I could have sworn I heard the exact clue of FJ before...and answered Bob Dylan wrongly then too. I was 100% sure it was wrong this time around, but couldn't recall the correct answer. I also have no idea where I might have heard the clue before.

There was a clue not long ago that I answered Bruce and his E Street Band, but I don't remember more than that. So I'm with you, @secnarf, almost kinda sorta remembering. Short- AND long-term memory loss, I have it all!

Shout out to KIT Carson (City). Yeay!

And a shout out to everyone who said "Titanic" instead of "Lusitania" the other day. You've been redeemed.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

I could have sworn I heard the exact clue of FJ before

There was a similar FJ clue about U2 ("In 2017 this band whose singer goes by a nickname became the first to have No.1 albums in the U.S. in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s & 2010s") back in July; is it possible that's what you're remembering?

4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Have we had "Genre"?

Yes.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So I have been thinking that perhaps the clue writers were deliberately adding more easy clues to give Matt's opponents a little more of a fighting chance.

I thought the same thing regarding placing the DD under the lower value clues, which Matt isn't as likely to pick, at least not early in the game. But J! is super careful to avoid anything that smacks of rigging.

Last night I got Rebel Without a Cause, Gwendolyn Brooks, and Maya Angelou. I got FJ at the last minute, after thinking of Elton John and Billy Joel, even though I was sure both had released albums before 1975. I remembered the hype around "Born to Run" . There was some "Who is this guy and why have I never heard of him?" backlash at the time. Springsteen didn't become an undisputed superstar until the 80's if memory serves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I liked the time-traveling baby story. :)

I did too, though being tired I didn't parse it right away.

I did reasonably well, and managed to get FJ. Springsteen was really the only one I thought of, same with my musician husband. We did talk about Bowie, but more in the "he's dead, so not a 2020 album" way.

I don't generally say I'm surprised that the contestants didn't get a triple stumper, as I'm often just as stumped or my brain to mouth function isn't working, but I have to admit I was surprised no one got Maya, even with a picture.

• Love 5