Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and I even said the correct name of Gateway Arch.  Much better start to this week! 

TS I got include South Africa, Chile, Camus, attack Russia, and femur.  I'm assuming they would have accepted "attack Russia" instead of "invade Russia".

I am very disappointed in Mayim's pronunciation of Camus.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

TS I got include South Africa, Chile, Camus, attack Russia, and femur.  I'm assuming they would have accepted "attack Russia" instead of "invade Russia".

I said "invade" but I didn't get so far as to name a country.

• Love 1
(edited)

FJ's actual correct answer of Gateway Arch was an instaget for me. If the category wasn't specifically "The National Park Service," perhaps I wouldn't be as miffed about the acceptance of the St. Louis Arch as a correct response, but it's not called St. Louis Arch National Park; it's Gateway Arch  National Park. I'm not blaming Mayim for this. She responded quickly, so I'm relatively certain that the judges had written, "Also accept St.Louis Arch" on her notecard. 

There are just too many instances of things becoming "too loose" on Jeopardy! in general for my taste. Tonight's FJ is just another example. 😒

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

it's not called St. Louis Arch National Park; it's Gateway Arch  National Park.

The clue was asking for the name of the arch/landmark, not the park, and it is indeed called the St. Louis Arch as well as the Gateway Arch.

"The U.S.A.’s smallest National Park is a 91-acre site on the Mississippi River, home to this 630-foot landmark."

I was stunned Divya Badri didn't know the answer since she lives in Coal Valley, Illinois, about a 4-hour drive from STL while the two players who did answer live as far east and west as one can get from the Mississippi River. If she grew up in Coal Valley, then she went to the same high school I did, and her interview story happened in my home town. 

27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Total missed opportunity, although I'm glad M passed on it. I'd be okay with Ken saying it correctly though.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So who won?  My darling cut out right at FJ after the question?

A few minutes before I read this comment, Facebook notified me of a post from the Jeopardy page and I realized I had no idea who actually won...

Ryan - $24,200

Nick - $21,199    

Divya - $3,300

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Me, too.

13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

What was wrong with Mayim’s pronunciation of Camus? I thought I heard it correctly.

I was very proud of myself for instagetting Camus, which I pronounced like both Mayim and my 1960s high school teacher did. 

• ETA after reading @SomeTameGazelle's explanation (thank you!) of Alex's pronunciation of Camus:
    • I attended high school in suburbs of Chicago known for a flat, twangy pronunciation of short A

I also remembered to read FJ out loud to myself and did get it.
At least, I wrote: Gateway St. Louis Arch

Femur was missed DD instaget. I felt sorry for Nick for missing it when she clearly knew it. 
It seems to be common that contestants get in the quick pace mode and then get thrown off by the extra time in the DD --plus the nervousness of knowing that they might not have chosen to ring in if they had already seen it, which probably really throws them off.

But I do like the current champ. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

The patient TS surprised me, as did no one tossing out poker as a guess for the $400 gambling clue.  I was also surprised it took three guesses to get to second wind, but I've noticed contestants have a bad habit of overlooking "ordinal" in clues.

I liked Nick's reaction to hearing the right answer in her femur DD.

If I could have eliminated the islands category, I'd have had a great first round -- I missed three of those, but only two others in the entire round.

I was terrible in DJ, though!  I didn't run a single category, only came close in one (skeleton, which is usually a strong category for me, but I missed cheekbone), blew books entirely, missed all but one in roles, missed three in Swedish history (assuming "invade something" would not have been specific enough for the DD), and two each in the others.

At least FJ was an instaget, because that was a brutal round for me.

• Love 3
(edited)
52 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It wasn't wrong; it's just not as Alex would have done it. 

How would Alex have done it? I didn’t hear a difference. Thinking how it was and corrected in Shawshank Redemption too.

Edited by zoey1996
3 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

How would Alex have done it? I didn’t hear a difference. Thinking how it was and corrected in Shawshank Redemption too.

She pronounced it with a very short a and a kind of open oo, like cam-oo. With a French flair the a is broader and the oo tighter, more like cah-mu. 

I didn't really notice the Camus but I was struck by Mayim's pronunciation of Albert with the T. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

How would Alex have done it?

In the same earnest way he pronounced any "foreign" word/name.  It had nothing on "genre", but "Camus" was a memorable one to still be noted.

(Nobody, contestant or host, made any sort of error; it's just a reference to a primary example of Alex's exaggerated pronunciation being particularly fun.)

Alex was terrible at his imitations of a person's/character's accent on an English/American word (e.g. when he'd try to speak like Dracula or the Terminator), but was quite impressive at being excruciatingly correct - sometimes to the extent of over-enunciating, which circled right back to humor - at properly pronouncing "foreign" words.  French, of course, was in his wheelhouse, and he was particularly fun with such words:

But it wasn't limited to that.  There used to be some terrific compilations out there, but a quick search is not giving me any.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I feel bad for laughing. I'd be totally screwed on that stage without my glasses.

I wouldn’t even be able to find the stage without mine!

And yes, my comment about Mayim’s pronunciation of Camus was really more a comment about how Alex pronounced it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I got only one ts, patient, but it was overall a good game for me.

I did get FJ, not an instaget, but pretty quickly.

I chuckled at Divya calling the one category "A Horse with No Name" instead of "...A Name".

• Love 3

So it's not pronounced CAY-muss? 😀

I thought there might be some irritation at none of the contestants using the name "Gateway Arch."  Honestly, though, I think I've heard it called "The St. Louis Arch" much more frequently than I have "Gateway Arch."  In my experience, using "Gateway" is a lot more likely to get me confused looks and questions about what I mean.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

My TS were: Joey, Albert Camus {drink}, and 0 & 00.

Except Mayim pronounced Albert incorrectly.  He was French - you don't pronounce the t.  Alex would've said it correctly.

So glad Nick didn't win.  I don't think I could've taken her pretentiously "cool" hair and bitch face for another game.

The stumpers I got were Camus (of course), Joey, Jessica Springsteen, Chile, South Africa, patient and invade Russia.  I almost had Paul Giamatti - I could picture him but couldn't quite drag his name out of my brain.  Same kind of thing with femur; I knew the bone they wanted but the actual name of it eluded me in the moment.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and I even said the correct name of Gateway Arch

Me, too.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

What was wrong with Mayim’s pronunciation of Camus? I thought I heard it correctly.

11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

It wasn't wrong; it's just not as Alex would have done it. 

It is wrong.  You should not pronounce the t at the end of Albert.  Mr. Camus was French, not English.  (Yes, I am being pedantic about it.)

10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I didn't really notice the Camus but I was struck by Mayim's pronunciation of Albert with the T. 

This is why her pronunciation was wrong.  It was the Albert, not the Camus which was the problem.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I had an okay game. I almost ran Face the Music (after going Pete...Pete..Pete...gd what's his last name for the Davidson clue. Followed up more egregiously with the Peter....Peter...Peter...gd he's my favorite doctor! in Double Jeopardy)

Islands schmislands....didn't get a one of them - but I wasn't expecting to.

Pre-called "the Plague" and then blanked on Camus' name. Argghh. Also precalled Station Eleven and then blanked on it. Sigh....

BUT I did get FJ - I struggled with St. Louis Arch, and finally came up with Gateway Arch (beating my husband, who has actually been there, but was blanking on the actual name.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

It is wrong.  You should not pronounce the t at the end of Albert.  Mr. Camus was French, not English.  (Yes, I am being pedantic about it.)

This is why her pronunciation was wrong.  It was the Albert, not the Camus which was the problem.

I was questioning the pronunciation of Camus, not Albert. I was concentrated on Camus and didn't notice Albert with the "t".

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I was questioning the pronunciation of Camus, not Albert. I was concentrated on Camus and didn't notice Albert with the "t".

I get that, and If she had just said Camus, it would've been fine, if maybe not exactly the way a French person would've pronounced it.  But she said the whole name and mispronounced his first name because she pronounced the t at the end of Albert.  That is why her pronunciation was wrong.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I thought there might be some irritation at none of the contestants using the name "Gateway Arch."  Honestly, though, I think I've heard it called "The St. Louis Arch" much more frequently than I have "Gateway Arch."  In my experience, using "Gateway" is a lot more likely to get me confused looks and questions about what I mean.

While the first thing that popped into my head was “Gateway Arch”, I started to second guess myself and think that was maybe a San Francisco reference, and so blurted out “St. Louis Arch” to be safe. Of course, once I had a moment to think clearly I realized I was conflating the arch with “Gateway to the Pacific”.  Maybe the contestants were having similar panic doubts.

Time pressure’s a bitch. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I misinterpreted "on the Mississippi River" as actually being in the Mississippi River and was racking my brain for  a National Park located on an island in the river. I guess there isn't a Delta National Park, is there?

Between Kit Carson and Albert Camus, I think the writers are pandering to this forum. If Women Authors comes up as a category, I will know that they are.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I think the writers are pandering to this forum. If Women Authors comes up as a category, I will know that they are.

Moreso if they have a category called "Authors" and all of them are women.

• Love 9

I sure do miss Alex.  I had forgotten, until I read a comment under the video linked above, that he was raised in a bilingual household.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I guess there isn't a Delta National Park, is there?

There is a Delta National Forest in western Mississippi!  I definitely knew this and did not have to Google it.  No further questions, please.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I only missed five clues in the first round! Ran Red Cross and Palindromes, missed two Indigenous Peoples and one each in the rest (83%). Not so good in the second round…ran Water but missed four Countries in the US and two each in everything else (60%).

I got FJ and it was a complete and total guess. Final score 72%.

TS were Faerie Queen (I took a whole class on Spenser and Milton in college...), John Bunyan, timid, and Kepler. [There were only two TS in the first round. Eight in the second.]

"Scottish poet" is always Burns (and I always think "Robbie Burns" in Alex's voice whenever he comes up).

I am reading Hannah Gadsby's book (Ten Steps to Nanette: A Memoir Situation) right now!

• Love 4

I said Steinbeck becuse James Dean starred in East of Eden.  Good as reasoning as any since I didn't know.

I got the missed clues of John Bunyan, Great Escape to Witch mountain, white mouse, and plant trees.

I had a fairly good first round,not so good second and obviously missed FJ.  Ended up in the hole.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

TS were Faerie Queen (I took a whole class on Spenser and Milton in college...), John Bunyan, timid, and Kepler. [There were only two TS in the first round. Eight in the second.]

"Scottish poet" is always Burns (and I always think "Robbie Burns" in Alex's voice whenever he comes up).

I said Faerie and then my mind was spinning on the second word and got Queen out a nano second before Mayim said it, whew!

I did the same thing with the Burns clue, even said 'Robbie Burns' out loud and thought of Alex.

I really noticed today the pauses before the answers were ruled correct or incorrect by Mayim. I don't understand the pauses before the correct answers, it's like she has to re-read the answer in front of her before saying anything. I'm not talking about the ones that would need the judges ruling, just the obvious ones where it should've been right in front of her as she read the clue. Just say yes and move on.

• Love 9

The timid TS surprised me, but that was it.

I got all but three in the first round.

Not so much in DJ.  I didn't run anything, but I got all but one in three.  I did okay in water, too, only missing two.  I hate military history, so I was terrible in that category, missing all but one.  And I missed three in movies; I knew one title each, so my answers were things like "Something Air Force One" and "The Great Escape Something". 

I didn't get FJ - it made sense once revealed, but I had no guess at all; no one ever sprang to mind as fitting the quote. 

• Love 2

This is the second night in a row I found myself missing Alex's pronunciations: Camus last night and "RRRobbie Burrrrns" tonight!

I knew John Bunyan, timid, Faerie Queene and white mouse--the latter because I remembered enough high school French. I'd never heard of Nancy Wake, but she sounds like a remarkable woman. Here is a blog post about her. It includes some hateful remarks about Germans, but I guess we can assume she was talking about Nazi Germans.

I guessed  FJ correctly. I'm glad Salinger didn't cross my mind.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I really noticed today the pauses before the answers were ruled correct or incorrect by Mayim. I don't understand the pauses before the correct answers, it's like she has to re-read the answer in front of her before saying anything. 

I noticed some really long pauses, too. Does she need a producer in her ear to verify before she can respond? It was weird.

Mayim was also doing some very floppy hand stuff at the beginning. Made me wonder if she was missing Mattea. 😁

I was concerned for Ryan for a while, but was glad he pulled it out in the end. The kitten story made me a little heart-melty.

I am queen of palindromes! Got all of them. I was surprised that mortise and Bunyan got past everyone. And yes, Scottish poet ALWAYS= Burns. Just like mobiles= Calder.

As for FJ, I was stumped. My best guesses were JD Salinger and Brett Easton Ellis. But Kerouac made sense once I saw it.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I really noticed today the pauses before the answers were ruled correct or incorrect by Mayim. I don't understand the pauses before the correct answers, it's like she has to re-read the answer in front of her before saying anything. I'm not talking about the ones that would need the judges ruling, just the obvious ones where it should've been right in front of her as she read the clue. Just say yes and move on.

My theory is that she is unable / unempowered to parse responses other than exactly what is on the sheet in front of her.  So if the contestant says "EU" or "Auburn" or "Little Bighorn," she has to wait for the voice in her ear to tell her whether that's acceptable for "European Union" or "Auburn University" or "Battle of Little Bighorn."  I'd wager this is also reflected in the many times she replies with information that seems, to me at least, too obvious to be worth adding.  Surely someone is going over this with her, but she hasn't improved, which makes me think she can't and isn't going to.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

My theory is that she is unable / unempowered to parse responses other than exactly what is on the sheet in front of her.  So if the contestant says "EU" or "Auburn" or "Little Bighorn," she has to wait for the voice in her ear to tell her whether that's acceptable for "European Union" or "Auburn University" or "Battle of Little Bighorn."  I'd wager this is also reflected in the many times she replies with information that seems, to me at least, too obvious to be worth adding.  Surely someone is going over this with her, but she hasn't improved, which makes me think she can't and isn't going to.

This! It drives me crazy. Whenever someone responds with a surname only--which is completely within the rules!--she acknowledges that the response is correct, but then goes on to give the full name. If a response doesn't require a BMS--and NOTHING seems to require a BMS any more 😠--just move on!

I think you're correct that she either can't improve or worse, thinks she's got it and has dug in her heels.

• Love 5

Mayim didn't quite pronounce Tohono O'odham correctly, but it's tricky because of the D. To me (and I might not being hearing it correctly) the d is a sound between d and a soft th (as in thumb) sound.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

The timid TS surprised me, but that was it.

My head got stuck on bland and would not come off of it.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

And I missed three in movies; I knew one title each, so my answers were things like "Something Air Force One" and "The Great Escape Something". 

That's usually how I am in before and afters. This time I managed to get 3.

I was a little worried for Ryan but he pulled it out.

Four ts's for me: The Faerie Queene, timid, tabard, and plant trees.

As soon as the FJ clue was revealed I said Jack Kerouac and no other names even came to me, which is a good thing because I might have changed my answer.

• Love 4