Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ and as a non American I am in disbelief that any American would not get that from that date alone never mind it being a very well known line. How soon we forget what history has taught us, it should be ingrained in every American.

As for Queen, they were always cool as far as I was aware & had no trouble selling out Wembley where I saw them in 86. They were slightly in the doldrums before Live Aid in 85 but my first Queen album was A Day At the Races and I had always been a fan.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I got FJ and as a non American I am in disbelief that any American would not get that from that date alone never mind it being a very well known line. How soon we forget what history has taught us, it should be ingrained in every American.

I knew what speech it was referring to and I did get it, but to be honest, at first I was really trying to just think of something that would be a synonym for "world history."   

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I knew what speech it was referring to and I did get it, but to be honest, at first I was really trying to just think of something that would be a synonym for "world history."   

Me too, though in my post I couldn't come up with as clear as an explanation as yours. Though I did manage to get it in time, I was not sure. I knew the speech, but wasn't sure if they were asking for some other part of it.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Any ideas why Ryan guessed Fanny Brice?  It could just be a fluke (she died in 1951, after all), but I think there might have been some kind of bell rung by the memoir title, "It's Always Something."  But what that is...I can't think!

It must've been the "this funny lady" in the clue.  The book title came from the catchphrase of one of Gilda Radner's most famous characters on SNL, Roseanne Roseannadanna.  I'm guessing none of the contestants are old enough to have watched the early seasons regularly.

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't know if anyone has linked to anything about Ryan's background; if so I haven't seen it.  This article talks about some of his financial struggles prior to getting on the show.  He was hospitalized for several weeks with COVID in January 2021, and still has the lingering effects (what's often called "Long COVID").  He had to quit his job as a paratransit driver for SEPTA because he could no longer physically do it, which is why he's a rideshare driver now.  He had to borrow money to pay for his plane ticket to LA, and he only brought two dress shirts with him, because that's all he could afford.

Wow, so glad Jeopardy is working out for him.  I know "X contestant really needs the money" doesn't matter, but given that I already liked Ryan, this does warm the cockles of my cold, cold heart.

I did quite well last night.  Ran 4 categories in the first round (Flags, Historical, Non-Fiction & Bond) and 3 in DJ (Anthem, Jurassic & Bronte).  Also got a lot of stumpers: India, Key West, Gilda Radner & High Life in the J round, and Mexico, Italy, Henry VII & Killing Eve in DJ.  FJ was an instaget as well.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me too.  It took me a bit to shake "when in the course of human events," which was obviously wrong given the date, but seemed a logical match with "world history."  To be honest, when the outcome of the game is not in question, my mind barely stays in the room for FJ.  It's an investment of another few minutes overall on just one clue, and I feel I'm already on to the next thing.  Oh well!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Me too.  It took me a bit to shake "when in the course of human events," which was obviously wrong given the date, but seemed a logical match with "world history."  To be honest, when the outcome of the game is not in question, my mind barely stays in the room for FJ.  It's an investment of another few minutes overall on just one clue, and I feel I'm already on to the next thing.  Oh well!

I stay focused for FJ because of the contest. It's just another level of fun.

• Love 5

I was so happy to see one of my favorite shows Ghosts mentioned on Jeopardy last night. I was surprised that no one knew about Gilda Radner CNN aired a special about her life a few years ago.

• Love 8

I felt we could see Ryan getting tired in this episode.  4th game of the day, so who can blame him?  But I was surprised that, for example, he made the mistake not once but twice of naming a word rather than a consonant in "The Silent Consonant In..."  Those kinds of mistakes could really cost him when he comes back for the ToC.

I was very surprised not only that nobody knew the name of the Secretary General but also that he was in the $800 box to begin with.  Too many stand-and-stares probably had something to do with why we didn't clear the boards in either round.  Harrumph.

• Love 5

Yes, Ryan was lucky today because he did not play well.  Per Jeopardy Archive, he got 7 questions wrong, including two daily doubles.  I don't think I've ever seen someone do that poorly and still not only win, but win in a runaway.

Not a well-played game.

• Love 6

Archive game for me, so thankfully there weren't too many clues with visual hints to begin with and I generally didn't need to be able to see them. 

The Secretary General TS surprised me, as did no one getting N (for hymn, in the silent letter category) or layette (I avoid babies like the plague and I knew that one, so I thought for sure someone would).  I was also a bit surprised no one knew Leavenworth = Kansas, because of the prison, and that no one guessed Cartier as the French jeweler or whale as the big animal that washed ashore (maybe they all thought it couldn't be that simple).

I did well in the first round, running three categories and getting all but one each in the rest.  I had a great round in DJ, too; I only ran co-stars and "ette", but I got all but one in three others and only missed two in Spain (of course, that was two of only four clues revealed, but I'll take it).

For FJ, regularly quizzing myself on geography paid off once again -- that was nearly an instaget for me (Baltic instantly sprang to mind, and my immediate next thought was Mediterranean, before quickly correcting myself to Adriatic), while none of them got it.   

• Love 1
(edited)

69% / 75% / 72%

J!: I feel like they didn't make it clear enough in the Silent Consonant category that they wanted the letter and not the word…obviously they were confused by that. That said, I ran the category, missed one State and Aviator, two Sneakers and That's My Boy, and three in United Nations. 

DJ: Ran Movie Co-Stars and what we saw of Ends in "ETTE", missed one Numerical Book Title and Big Animal, two Historia Española, and three Allusions of Grandeur. I have heard (or more likely, seen) the word "sybaritic" but I'm sure I couldn't have told you what it meant.

FJ: And my perfect-so-far week is no more. 😔

Got the TSes of Secretary General, Kansas, ailerons, N (in hymn), whale, layette, Aragon, and Basques.

We were halfway through DJ before I noticed John had two Bigfoots on his shirt. 

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Gilda Radner TS made me a little sad.

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It must've been the "this funny lady" in the clue.  The book title came from the catchphrase of one of Gilda Radner's most famous characters on SNL, Roseanne Roseannadanna.  I'm guessing none of the contestants are old enough to have watched the early seasons regularly.

Yeah, she died before I was old enough to be watching Saturday Night Live (I was 13; I wasn't allowed to stay up that late). But in hindsight the phrase is familiar.

9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

To be fair, they might have overthought it like I did. "World History" didn't seem like a good swap out for "Infamy" to me, until I read the statement out loud with World History in it, and then I got it (in time)

That's exactly what I did.

Edited by ams1001
spelling and punctuation
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I feel like they didn't make it clear enough in the Silent Consonant category that they wanted the letter and not the word…obviously they were confused by that.

Me too! If ever a category needed some info it was this one.

If Tory hadn't rung in and got that last question wrong it would not have been a runaway. I was watching the totals and kept saying it's not a runaway, it's not a runaway and then she rang in and oops! a runaway!

I had no idea what that was on his shirt until @OneEclecticMom on Twitter said it.

I love pink and gray together so loved Mayim's outfit today.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I feel like they didn't make it clear enough in the Silent Consonant category that they wanted the letter and not the word…

Maybe it's because I was staring at the category title rather than just briefly seeing it and hearing it said (because I was reading the archive rather than watching the episode), but I found it clear:  "The Silent Consonant In ..." rather than something like "Words With Silent Consonants" means they want the consonant, not the word.

Plus, Mayim explained it after the first clue they uncovered in that category was a TS (N, in hymn) -- Ryan answered "psalm", no one else rang in, and when Mayim gave the correct answer of "N", she explained, "That's the silent letter in hymn."  So after that, there shouldn't have been any remaining confusion.

They came back to the category nine clues later, and Ryan rang in with the word ("numb"), after which Tory correctly answered "B".  Mayim reiterated again, "Yes, the silent letter in numb."  After that, no one screwed up again.  I think for that second one, Ryan just didn't pay attention to the category, because of that nine-clue gap.

• Love 3

I said Baltic and Black.  I got a geography question wrong.  So not a shocker.

I got the missed clues of Arabic, Secretary General, whale, Babylon, Aragon and Basques.

I got the entire categories of UN and animal right.

• Love 1

I had absolutely no clue for FJ tonight.  I could have sat here for days and not come up with the correct bodies of water.

But I did get the TS of Mississippi (that one surprised me), ailerons, Kansas (also a surprising TS), whale, layette, and Basque.

Mayim missed another pronunciation opportunity with Hercule Poirot.

• Love 2

Ryan's the best! I was a little worried tonight that maybe he was weary of Jeopardy & wanted to go home. I got Final Jeopardy, along with Ryan. He and Amy have been such nice, humble, non-nerdy champs that I've been watching Jeopardy every night lately. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

To quote Emily Litella ... NEVER MIND!

There is a cancer-support group house near me that has a red door and is named Gilda's Club.

Royal Oak,  Michigan?

3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought he said Baltic & Adriatic. The woman said North & Adriatic. 🥴

From The Jeopardy! Fan:

Tonight’s results:
John $3,000 – $0 = $3,000 (What is Greenbrier + Tennessee)
Tory $4,600 – $2,000 = $2,600 (What are the Black Adriatic & Caspian Seas?)
Ryan $10,000 – $0 = $10,000 (What are North + Baltic?) (10-day total: $183,301)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, IdEatThat said:

I’m rooting for Ryan.  I enjoy the “streakers”, but he did seem a little tired tonight.  Even more low key than usual.

I noticed him wiping his eyes and/or forehead a couple times. Hope he's okay.

• Love 6

FJ: I got the Baltic instantly, as my maternal ancestry is Lithuanian, but I said the Black Sea for the other end of the Iron Curtain. The Black Sea has been in the news so much lately with the war in Ukraine that it was foremost in my mind and several former Iron Curtain countries do border it. I'm miffed at myself for not getting the Adriatic because duh, Yugoslavia (during the Cold War.) 🤦‍♀️

I've only gotten one FJ all week. 😒

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I really like Ryan. I’ve watched him struggle with breath so the Covid backstory makes sense. 

Sometimes the TS are so obvious to me and then I feel really old. Because it’s not smarts, it’s “lived through it”. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

FJ: I got the Baltic instantly, as my maternal ancestry is Lithuanian, but I said the Black Sea for the other end of the Iron Curtain. The Black Sea has been in the news so much lately with the war in Ukraine that it was foremost in my mind and several former Iron Curtain countries do border it. I'm miffed at myself for not getting the Adriatic because duh, Yugoslavia (during the Cold War.) 🤦‍♀️

Baltic and Black Seas here as well - needed to pull up a map to remember how far west "Eastern Europe" actually extended!

Yugoslavia was freakin' huge!

• Love 1

Two FJs in a row! With no help from anyone in my house! And if you knew how terrible I am at geography, you’d understand the little dance I did around the living room tonight.

13 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't know if anyone has linked to anything about Ryan's background; if so I haven't seen it.  This article talks about some of his financial struggles prior to getting on the show.  He was hospitalized for several weeks with COVID in January 2021, and still has the lingering effects (what's often called "Long COVID").  He had to quit his job as a paratransit driver for SEPTA because he could no longer physically do it, which is why he's a rideshare driver now.  He had to borrow money to pay for his plane ticket to LA, and he only brought two dress shirts with him, because that's all he could afford.

Thanks for providing this info. It explains how overwhelmed he seems at every mention of his cumulative total. And may also explain how tired he seems at times.

I already liked Ryan; now I want him to have a real Jennings-style streak.

• Love 11

I misread FJ, and thought they wanted the actual cities mentioned in the speech, which I wouldn’t have come up with (I did manage to remember Trieste, but wouldn’t have gotten the other one in a million years). Luckily I re-read in time to switch gears and get the seas. 

• Love 1

Another okay game for me.

I got the missed answers of Arabic, Secretary General, ailerons, Cartier, Aragon, and Basques.

No real idea for FJ.  I figured one end was either North or Baltic Seas but I had no idea for the other end.

Ryan did seem very tired and he made a lot of bad guesses which he doesn't usually do.  I hope he is okay.

The silent consonant category annoyed me, probably because I kept saying the word and not the letter.  Even after I knew they just wanted the letter.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Scott said:

I misread FJ, and thought they wanted the actual cities mentioned in the speech, which I wouldn’t have come up with (I did manage to remember Trieste, but wouldn’t have gotten the other one in a million years). Luckily I re-read in time to switch gears and get the seas. 

"From Stettin in the Baltic, to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended..."

Churchill's speech sticks in my memory, so this one was quite easy for me.  But I'll admit that it's a rather more obscure quote than "a date which will live in infamy."

Speaking of which, I think FDR was wrong, and December 7 not a date that's living in infamy.  I say that because of a Jeopardy discussion I'm having on another forum, where a younger guy is saying things like "How am I supposed to know what FDR talked about on December 8, 1941?  I know Pearl Harbor was attacked sometime around then, but not the exact date."

I hate to sound like an "OK, Boomer" type, but that depresses me.

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

"From Stettin in the Baltic, to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended..."

Churchill's speech

Maybe that was how I at least guessed half-right: Adriatic and Black Sea.
I'm always confusing names that begin with the same letter (in this case, "B"), whether those of persons or places. 

I instagot the TS of layette because my oldest baby is 43.

I'm rooting for Ryan and can tell that, like Mattea (and me), being cautious with money is an ingrained way of life. I trust he already knows that the Federal tax on his winnings will be at least 25%, plus a 3.07% state income tax for Pennsylvania, and another 3.8398% for Philly.
So this will ease some of his financial burden, but it's not going to make a real difference in life style.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I instagot the TS of layette because my oldest baby is 43.

I'm rooting for Ryan and can tell that, like Mattea (and me), being cautious with money is an ingrained way of life. I trust he already knows that the Federal tax on his winnings will be at least 25%, plus a 3.07% state income tax for Pennsylvania, and another 3.8398% for Philly.
So this will ease some of his financial burden, but it's not going to make a real difference in life style.

I got layette too.  My oldest is 33.

California also gets a chunk of Ryan’s earnings. 
I hope he keeps on winning for as long as possible so he can take home more money. It may not change his lifestyle drastically, but at least it can give him a cushion, and hopefully his health will improve and he can get his Septa job back. The article made it sound like he is a single father.

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ryan's the best! I was a little worried tonight that maybe he was weary of Jeopardy & wanted to go home. I got Final Jeopardy, along with Ryan. He and Amy have been such nice, humble, non-nerdy champs that I've been watching Jeopardy every night lately. 

I wonder when the episodes in which he's seemed more low energy than others are filmed at the end of the day? I think it's probably tiring for everyone, but for someone who's had Covid and may well have long Covid, it might be a bit more. I can't see him as wanting to lose and go home, not in his financial circumstances.

10 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I really like Ryan. I’ve watched him struggle with breath so the Covid backstory makes sense. 

Sometimes the TS are so obvious to me and then I feel really old. Because it’s not smarts, it’s “lived through it”. 

Eh, I'm old and lived through a lot, but it doesn't mean I remember it all - we don't necessarily know what's going on in every field of endeavor while we're going through it. Besides, we all know plenty of stuff from times we haven't lived through. So youth is no excuse, in my mind. (Had that discussion with a younger person back in the day playing Trivial Pursuit). But, to be fair, we all have knowledge gaps. I just don't like the "I'm too young to know this" excuse. I mean, I'm old, but I'm still too young to have lived through WWII, WWI, and the Civil War, and can answer questions regarding it.

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Two FJs in a row! With no help from anyone in my house! And if you knew how terrible I am at geography, you’d understand the little dance I did around the living room tonight.

I did not get it, and didn't expect to (though I thought Black and Baltic might actually be the answer). Being also bad at geography, totally understand your dance. I've done one or two myself.

I did okay, but not great. Still, It's fun, whether or not I get the answers.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

His big sighs bugged me a little at first (because a lot of times when players do that it just seems like they're being dramatic) but knowing it might be because he is actually having some trouble makes it not bother me. I'm sure standing for so long under bright lights doesn't help.

38 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I hope he keeps on winning for as long as possible so he can take home more money. It may not change his lifestyle drastically, but at least it can give him a cushion, and hopefully his health will improve and he can get his Septa job back. The article made it sound like he is a single father.

Hopefully he at least can take care of any medical debt he might have.

29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I wonder when the episodes in which he's seemed more low energy than others are filmed at the end of the day? I think it's probably tiring for everyone, but for someone who's had Covid and may well have long Covid, it might be a bit more. I can't see him as wanting to lose and go home, not in his financial circumstances.

I think they do a week's worth of shows each tape day. So the later in the week it is when we're watching, the later in the day it was when they were playing.

• Useful 2
21 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Gilda Radner and Miller High Life. 
I am old. 

I'm so old I actually read the book and I quote "Emily," quite often.  "Why are people so worried about sex and violins?"

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Gilda Radner and Miller High Life. 
I am old. 

Me, too.  Miller High Life used to be my dad's "special occasion" beer when I was a kid.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was also a bit surprised no one knew Leavenworth = Kansas, because of the prison, and that no one guessed Cartier as the French jeweler or whale as the big animal that washed ashore (maybe they all thought it couldn't be that simple).

Leavenworth is the only reason I knew Kansas.  Cartier was in my brain but I couldn't drag it out in time.  I waffled between whale and shark and unfortunately landed on shark.  Oh well.

I said Baltic and Mediterranean for FJ.  (I wonder if the judges would've accepted that since the Adriatic is an arm of the Mediterranean?  Probably not specific enough, I guess, and well, since it was from a speech anyway, never mind.)  Baltic was an instaget because I remember the Baltic Republics being among the first countries to break away from the Soviet Union as it crumbled.  I knew WHERE the other end of the curtain was because of a Dick Francis book where the main character was told "the communists begin at Trieste", but Adriatic just wouldn't come to mind.

I did fairly well last night.  Ran 4 categories in the Jeopardy round (Boy, County, Silent & surprisingly, Sneakers) and 3 categories in DJ (Espanola, Co-Stars & Ette).  Got the following stumpers: Secretary General (wouldn't have known the guy's name but the clue gave enough context), Kansas, Mississippi (it was the Faulkner reference), N, Basques, Sahara, Aragon and layette.  Aragon and Kansas both surprised me, and the less said about the misses in the Silent category, the better; Ryan must've been really tired to have not gotten the hang of that category after the first wrong answer.

11 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Yugoslavia was freakin' huge!

Yes, it was, and held together by the shear force of Tito's personality.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Speaking of which, I think FDR was wrong, and December 7 not a date that's living in infamy.  I say that because of a Jeopardy discussion I'm having on another forum, where a younger guy is saying things like "How am I supposed to know what FDR talked about on December 8, 1941?  I know Pearl Harbor was attacked sometime around then, but not the exact date."

I hate to sound like an "OK, Boomer" type, but that depresses me.

Oh man, that is depressing.

18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I think they do a week's worth of shows each tape day. So the later in the week it is when we're watching, the later in the day it was when they were playing.

Yep, they film 5 games a day, so last night's game was the 4th filming of the day.  It's a long day when you're just sitting in the audience waiting hopefully for your turn on the stage.  I can only imagine how tiring it must be for a multi-game champ.  Throw in long covid, and it must be exhausting.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, they film 5 games a day, so last night's game was the 4th filming of the day.  It's a long day when you're just sitting in the audience waiting hopefully for your turn on the stage.  I can only imagine how tiring it must be for a multi-game champ.  Throw in long covid, and it must be exhausting.

In addition, they film two days a week, so (depending on how the schedule fell) he might have been doing it two days in a row.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Pet peeve of mine as a doctor, but aids should not be accepted interchangably with hiv especially when the question specifically asks about transmission of the disease. 

Hiv is the infection. Aids is a disease as a result of the Infection, avoided with appropriate control of the virus. I realize rhe question was about the 80s and they had no treatment then but still, they are different. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Eh, I'm old and lived through a lot, but it doesn't mean I remember it all - we don't necessarily know what's going on in every field of endeavor while we're going through it. Besides, we all know plenty of stuff from times we haven't lived through. So youth is no excuse, in my mind.

It is and it isn't. But it is a factor in where one's knowledge gaps are. 

Speaking of excuses for knowledge gaps, I think from time to time of this Dog Eat Dog contestant whose excuse for not getting a Geography question was "I don't live there."

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
46 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know I can find it online. Would still rather watch on my tv than my little phone. 

You know what else can be found online?  The weather.  Easily. All the time. For anywhere in the world. 

Not yelling at you but the tv stations. 

I know; most weather warnings would be fine with just a crawl across the screen.

They're predicting storms tonight but of the last three such warnings recently only one of them was anything (though it was a doozy; around 4pm I looked toward the window and it looked like it should have been at least 8pm...and even that apparently didn't warrant our phones screaming at us).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I know; most weather warnings would be fine with just a crawl across the screen.

They're predicting storms tonight but of the last three such warnings recently only of of them was anything (though it was a doozy; around 4pm I looked toward the window and it looked like it should have been at least 8pm...and even that apparently didn't warrant our phones screaming at us).

I grew up in indiana and there were literally tornado watches and warnings multiple times a week over the summer. If they interrupted shows for all them it would be another weather channel 

They did on occasion but not for every one. So now living in Charlotte a tornado warning, not even in my city but dozens of miles away, I'm not worried b

When I lived in NW Ohio, every TV station had its own tornado watch symbol that seemed to be up permanentl from May to September, blocking a ridiculous amount of screen. And then the bottom third of the screen would disappear beneath an enormous ALERT crawl if there was an actual warning rather than a watch.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said Baltic and Mediterranean for FJ.  (I wonder if the judges would've accepted that since the Adriatic is an arm of the Mediterranean?  Probably not specific enough, I guess, and well, since it was from a speech anyway, never mind.) 

I always think of it all as the Mediterranean - which is why I never get the seas right. Sigh...

1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

It is and it isn't. But it is a factor in where one's knowledge gaps are.

Valid. I was just being a crabby old boomer at the time. 😏

• Love 4

I haven't visited the Forum for a while, so I was happy to see that fans like Ryan...whew. Because Mr. Author and I like him a lot and hope he keeps winning. Or am I jinxing him? Rats! Lose, Ryan, lose <wink-wink>

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

A reminder that any posts about the day's episode are considered spoilers before 7PM Eastern Time. If you post about the info here, it has to be used with spoiler tags. Otherwise, please report it and the mods will deal with it. Posts have been hidden. Thank you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm sure standing for so long under bright lights doesn't help [Ryan].

I wish they would make chairs (adjustable height) available for contestants who want them. 

• Love 6