Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 5/6/2022 at 12:28 PM, PBnJay said:

The highlight of Thursday's episode for me was Ken suggesting Mattea got Rick Rolled.

20 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I took it as she RickRolled us!  

And congrats to Mattea - it's been a pleasure watching you !

All I can say is, I wish that at age 23 (or now!) that I had lived a life where singing backup for Rick Astley was the 21st most interesting thing about me!

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

All I can say is, I wish that at age 23 (or now!) that I had lived a life where singing backup for Rick Astley was the 21st most interesting thing about me!

It does sound like she's had a pretty interesting life so far.

• Love 5

II'll miss Mattea she was really smart and gracious with the other contestants. I'll be rooting for her and Amy. I had no clue for Final Jeopardy.

I follow Jeopardy on Twitter and Amy posted that she looks forward to facing Mattea in the TOC. Amy stated that she has been taking a break from watching Jeopardy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Trey said:

I think most people know I, Claudius but not so many know I, Tiberius ______, although, what else could it be? Possibly that's a really stupid remark.

Well, I was trying to figure out how to fit James (Tiberius) Kirk into an answer.

Ross Poldark!

ross-poldark.gif.2639db36f86ac1a22c535f0ce71425a7.gif

Looking forward to a Danielle Viewing Party Celebration recap from @853fisher. I imagine the crowd WENT WILD at the last FJ reveal. Congrats to your friend!

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I watched the last three episodes of this week all today, and the emotional roller-coaster of Thursday's show, with Sarah giving me hope, and then snatching it away at the end, followed immediately by Friday's show, where Danielle finally made all my dreams come true, was almost too much for one person to take.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Well, I was trying to figure out how to fit James (Tiberius) Kirk into an answer.

Ross Poldark!

ross-poldark.gif.2639db36f86ac1a22c535f0ce71425a7.gif

You even managed to catch him brooding!  After watching every episode of both the old and new series, all I could think of fast enough was, "Demelza's husband."

The wording of the clue made me think Ross was the last name. I've been having trouble understanding the clues lately.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

You even managed to catch him brooding! 

There was another gif of him walking shirtless on the beach that I liked better, but thought it too racy for some viewers.

This made me laugh:

lilly.png.6ddace417f670560da4891933e4b94af.png

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I didn’t pay attention to the game, so can someone explain the FJ! wagers?  Danielle won by $1.  I can’t figure how that happened.

Mattea had $19,200 and Danielle had $11,400 going into final Jeopardy.  The maximum Danielle could have ended up with was $22,800, assuming she wagered it all and answered correctly. Mattea needed to wager $3,601 to end up with $22,801 and still win, assuming she answered correctly.  Danielle wagered $4200, answered correctly and ended up with $15,600.  Since Mattea wagered $3,601 and did not come up with the correct answer, her score dropped to $15,599, losing by $1.  

• Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I didn’t pay attention to the game, so can someone explain the FJ! wagers?  Danielle won by $1.  I can’t figure how that happened.

1 hour ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Mattea had $19,200 and Danielle had $11,400 going into final Jeopardy.  The maximum Danielle could have ended up with was $22,800, assuming she wagered it all and answered correctly. Mattea needed to wager $3,601 to end up with $22,801 and still win, assuming she answered correctly.  Danielle wagered $4200, answered correctly and ended up with $15,600.  Since Mattea wagered $3,601 and did not come up with the correct answer, her score dropped to $15,599, losing by $1.  

Yes. 
See also on the previous page:   
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/121652-jeopardy-season-38-2021-2022/?do=findComment&comment=7439971

Edited by shapeshifter
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

She was probably sick of Mattea but too polite to say so.

Amy stated that she was burned out it had nothing to do with Mattea. Danielle posted that Mattea was lovely to her before and after the game.

• Love 22
(edited)

Still away from home and haven’t seen any episodes for awhile, but I read that Mattea lost. Now I see that Ken will not be there when I return. 🤬 The J! gods giveth, the J! gods taketh away.

Congratulations to @853fisher and Danielle! That must have been one kickass party.

Oh, and by the way, everybody— Just watch Citizen Kane already. Sheesh.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, IdEatThat said:

I wouldn’t have gotten that final jeopardy if I had an hour to guess.

I've seen Citizen Kane, but wouldn't have remembered that Kane's estate was named Xanadu if I hadn't also taken film classes in college where the film was discussed in detail.  To be honest, while I understand why Citizen Kane is an important movie, that one viewing was enough for me.  It was more something to be admired for how groundbreaking it was than something to be enjoyed.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, MrAtoz said:

With musicals, that's one of the things you just have to accept.  It's no more ridiculous than the founding fathers rapping.

Or, if your preference is 1776, not Hamilton, singing and dancing.  Yep, you have to suspend the sense of disbelief for musicals.  I can generally do it (helps that I absolutely love opera) but there are some musicals where it still doesn't work for me.  I think it depends on how much I like the music.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:24 PM, zapper said:

I once heard opera described as a play where if someone gets stabbed, instead of dying, they sing about it.

At great length, sometimes while sinking into a pit of quicksand.  Yeah, Lucia di Lammermoor is just that ridiculous and glorious.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, Katy M said:

I said Hartsfield and Love.  Could not think of the other name.

I got the missed clues of Quo Vadis (before the wrong answer), Congregationalism, Bausch & Lomb and Claudius.

Another bad night.

I got Hartsfield but had no idea of the other name.  I knew they wanted the Atlanta airport but that's about it.

Mattea was polarizing but there's no denying that she was an excellent Jeopardy player.  You don't win that many games by accident.  And I also think Danielle played very well even if FJ was a fluke bit of good luck.  So I look forward to watching her going forward.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:52 AM, M. Darcy said:

No one got Claudius or Poldark! Where were the PBS nerds! 

Maybe they were like me, confused by the "Tiberius" even though I've seen and absolutely love I, Claudius.  It's obviously been too long since I last watched it, and I've never read the books.  Did get Poldark, though.

14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Oh, and by the way, everybody— Just watch Citizen Kane already. Sheesh.

See, I would tell them not to bother.  It's technically a marvel but narratively not so much.  I greatly prefer Touch of Evil when it comes to Orson Welles' movies, even with Charlton Heston playing a Mexican lawyer.  He was actually quite good in it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Driad said:

What is the opera in which the leading female character is supposedly dying of tuberculosis, but she can still sing loudly?

La Traviata. And also the one that Rent was based on. La Boheme maybe? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

To be honest, while I understand why Citizen Kane is an important movie, that one viewing was enough for me.  It was more something to be admired for how groundbreaking it was than something to be enjoyed.

Respectfully disagree. I found it very enjoyable. But tastes are very subjective, so Everyone’s MMV. But I know I missed the whole Citizen Kane debate, so I’ll move along.

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Mattea was polarizing but there's no denying that she was an excellent Jeopardy player.  You don't win that many games by accident. 

In this case, I respectfully agree!

• Love 6

I feel like I should be insulted but I got a good laugh out of Ethiopia and Jersey being  "developing countries."

Didn't keep score (barely got home in time to put my groceries in the fridge before the game started) but I got all the DDs, the missed clues of Blue Christmas (DD), brandy, Andes candies, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, erratum, and NYC/Philly/Baltimore (DD), and ran Menace to Sobriety (for some reason I tend to be good at the alcohol categories, despite the fact that I don't drink much) and You Said It (well, the four that they got to, anyway). Did not get FJ. 

Felt a little bad for Emily, but Karim was smart on the Ray Kroc clue. Better to give the last name and see if they ask for more. 

I liked Mayim's blouse.

• Love 9

I said For Whom the Bell Tolls. While stitl wrong, I feel it was a better answer than The Grapes of Wrath or The Great Gatsby.

I got the missed clues of In the HEat of the Night, Blue Christmas and Victory.

I got the entire category of Lit and partial category of who said it right and the entire category of movies wrong.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

What a party!  Has anyone seen my keys?  Seriously, what a thrill.  Of course we all believed there was a good chance it could happen, but to actually witness the culmination of a friend's dream of 15+ years is something else.  She had what must have been a few dozen family members in various states from her side of the family and her husband's, plus a good dozen of us close friends.   They were able to set things up so those not in the same time zone and without access to the show another day could follow along with audio, then we spent the commercials debriefing. 

I think I mentioned she and her husband are big board game people.  Before they were married, the height of excitement in our small college town was a trip to his apartment for steaks, old fashioneds, and board games with too many dice.  Next to those, I was sure Danielle would be prepared with a good plan for wagering.  She mentioned that she did do a bit of searching for the betting clues, having observed during the first 4 games of the day that Mattea did not.  She's always strategizing!

As you can imagine, the moment the clue came up, I knew she would have it.  It certainly was a stroke of luck, but that's all in the game.  I've naturally been disappointed to read comments in other forums stating that the game must have been rigged in her favor.  Of course those who know game shows know that Sony wouldn't commit a federal crime in this situation, and while being local was a benefit, it certainly wasn't required.  I knew the name of the airport in Atlanta a decade before I had been within 500 miles of there because it was featured in my Guinness Book of World Records and I was interested in transportation.  Naturally we all told Danielle not to pay those comments any mind.

She said she really enjoyed meeting Ken and gave Mattea great plaudits for being a very warm and down-to-earth presence.  Just before they were to have started the game there was an unexpected stopdown, so they got to enjoy an extended conversation.  I'd love for them to meet again in the ToC, naturally.  Danielle had two weeks to bone up between taping sessions so I really think she could go the distance now that she's had her baptism by fire.  No more Zoom parties planned for now, while we all recover.

And forgive me for having gone AWOL at such an inopportune time.  Thank you so much for all the well wishes, which of course I've passed along.  Just after we put the noisemakers away, I had a call from my parents.  Sadly neither of them will be on Jeopardy, but it was good news that the home they are retiring to became available sooner than expected.  There was a lot to help coordinate from a distance, so I had to get offline and hunker down with them.  When I see them in person next, betcha can't guess where I'll likely be flying into!  Hint: it's the site of a former racetrack...

Can you imagine the stars aligning any better than that?  Hometown clue, and taking down a super champion?

As for today, I take a little comfort that my wild guess (The Sun Also Rises) was at least by the right author. 

• Love 6

I probably should have gotten FJ tonight, but I didn't.  I was thinking more along the lines of Steinbeck, too.  

So many TS!  I got Andes candies, "In The Heat of The Night", Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, "Blue Christmas", brandy, mud puppies, erratum, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore, and Farragut.  I said corpus at the same time that Mayim did, so I don't count that -- I ran out of time.

I did laugh at Karim saying that Ethiopia and New Jersey are developing nations.  I also laughed at several of his truly off the wall guesses.  But I will give him props for capitalizing on the Kroc response.

• Love 6

I had to think a bit on Final Jeopardy, but guessed correctly.

They missed a whole lot of what I thought were pretty obvious answers. The autobiographical movie category was particularly infuriating.

• Love 3
(edited)

I forgot to say that, while Danielle's husband's family are all Georgians, Danielle is originally from near Altoona.  So when her first correct response was "Pennsylvania Dutch, I thought that was a great omen.  She was so excited to break the ice that she stumbled over saying it just a bit - in over a decade, I've never known her to be tongue-tied!  It also occurred to us at the party that the first 2 presidents of our college a cappella group have been on the show.  The 1st was on Kids Week years ago, the 2nd is Danielle, and I am the 3rd.  So I dunno, watch this space!  Wouldn't that be something?

I'm caught up on today now, and I'm so glad she was able to prove those who thought she'd be one-and-done wrong.  I always wish well for undergraduates bold enough to enter the main pool, so I was glad Karim was able to play in FJ.  His second DD that frustrated him so seemed strange.  They seldom ask for three items that I can recall, and I don't know about "BosWash."  I was raised in suburban DC with regular trips to New England for my mom's family, and I don't recall ever seeing that term, so it definitely took me a second longer to process.  On the other hand, I was totally befuddled by the idea that "Out of Africa" would be about a woman with a Jewish name winning mambo contests in upstate NY.

I have still not read the Hemingway novel, but I got FJ immediately.  I don't know why, it just seemed right, the date seemed right, I was very lucky.  I think the title was at the top of my mind because it's shared with a popular song of 1932 I've had stuck in my head quite a bit lately.  Danielle said she thinks she might have gotten it with a bit more time, but it just wasn't coming.  She doesn't think you should ever leave it blank, so she decided "Gatsby" could be vaguely English and put it down.  Better than nothing!

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Felt a little bad for Emily, but Karim was smart on the Ray Kroc clue. Better to give the last name and see if they ask for more. 

After "Roy Kroc" was (rightfully) not accepted and "Kroc" was, I thought Mayim should have made a brief explanation.  People who don't know his name was Ray probably wondered what was going on.  As much as I dislike Mayim, I think that is on the production team too - it should have been on somebody's list for her to record later or whatever if necessary.  Today's game seemed to have been edited with a hacksaw in places, but that was skipped over?  They have the resources to do these things smoothly, so I wish they would be consistent.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

His second DD that frustrated him so seemed strange.  They seldom ask for three items that I can recall, and I don't know about "BosWash."  I was raised in suburban DC with regular trips to New England for my mom's family, and I don't recall ever seeing that term, so it definitely took me a second longer to process.  On the other hand, I was totally befuddled by the idea that "Out of Africa" would be about a woman with a Jewish name winning mambo contests in upstate NY.

I've never heard "BosWash" either, but it just made sense to me to name three large metropolitan areas between Boston and Washington.  

"Out of Africa" was a real head-scratcher of an answer.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

so I was glad Karim was able to play in FJ.  His second DD that frustrated him so seemed strange.  They seldom ask for three items that I can recall, and I don't know about "BosWash."

It is rare -- and I interpreted his reaction to mean that he had been trying to choose between the 3 cities and might have been able to answer if he had realized they were asking for 3. 

The singular category was a breeze for me but there were a lot of other clues where I drew a blank. I did get Blue Christmas even though I had absolutely convinced myself that the clue had referred to Elvis Costello.

I rejected a few book titles for FJ but didn't get around to A Farewell to Arms. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

They seldom ask for three items that I can recall, and I don't know about "BosWash."

I have never heard that term, but I correctly guessed the only three big cities in between Boston and DC that came to mind.

20 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

After "Roy Kroc" was (rightfully) not accepted and "Kroc" was, I thought Mayim should have made a brief explanation.  People who don't know his name was Ray probably wondered what was going on. 

I thought that was especially odd given her general habit of giving the first name every other time someone just gives a last name, even when it's totally not necessary.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

That’s why Matt’s strategy was so good…just use last names so you don’t screw it up with a wrong first name.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought that was especially odd given her general habit of giving the first name every other time someone just gives a last name, even when it's totally not necessary.

Oh, do you mean you weren’t wondering whether that frog might have been named after Charles Darwin’s sister Priscilla?

• LOL 10

In the Heat of the Night being a TS made me sad.

I was a little surprised no one knew - or guessed - Hermann Göring.

Karim had a few huh? answers.  With his "Blue Christmas" missed DD, I think it was that he was still ticked at himself for having just screwed up the "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" clue, never having heard of the song, running out of time, and just tossing out any Elvis title, not that he actually managed to miss the fact both the category and the clue stated it needed to involve a color.

But I got nothin' on that Out of Africa guess.

I enjoyed him, though - I liked his interview segment, his reaction when he realized he'd messed up with "Yellow Brick Road" and that the other two still didn't know it, his reaction when he screwed up his other DD, and his attitude at FJ.

I was on fire tonight!  I got all but one in the first round (I joined the contestants in being stumped by mud puppy), and damn near ran DJ, too, but I missed three of the four clues revealed in the nautical category. 

The fire went out with FJ, though; it was an oh, okay, that makes sense reaction when the correct response was revealed, but I had nothing.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

1920s American lit is always Hemingway or Fitzgerald.  I went with Fitzgerald…..

Fitzgerald here! But at least I didn't go with "The Great Gatsby"....I went with "Tender is the Night".

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

In the Heat of the Night being a TS made me sad.

Yes, and it made me mad at myself for not being able to pull  it out even though I've seen the movie several times and watched the tv series too. The words were all there but they were garbled.

I did get Goering, Blue Christmas, mud puppies, corpus, and Andes candies, possibly more.

The FJ answer was obvious in hindsight and I felt stupid for not figuring it out.

I liked Karim, great personality.  I thought he might be auditioning to be a comic somewhere.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

La Traviata. And also the one that Rent was based on. La Boheme maybe? 

Yep, Traviata and Boheme.  Cher had some famous lines about Mimi singing while she coughed to death in Boheme in the opera scene in Moonstruck.

10 hours ago, j5cochran said:

On Friday, with the I, Tiberius clue, was I the only one who immediately shouted I, Clavdivs?

I missed that one, but yes, I always think of it as I, Clavdivs.

Well, last night's game was a bit of a disappointment.  They didn't clear the board in DJ and didn't even finish the nautical category.  Pooey.  I did quite well during the game but did not get FJ.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said For Whom the Bell Tolls. While stitl wrong, I feel it was a better answer than The Grapes of Wrath or The Great Gatsby.

I said Gone with the Wind, which was a lousy answer and one I was pretty sure was wrong, but I really couldn't come up with anything else.  I hate both Hemingway and Fitzgerald so I tend to block them out as much as possible.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So many TS!  I got Andes candies, "In The Heat of The Night", Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, "Blue Christmas", brandy, mud puppies, erratum, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore, and Farragut.  I said corpus at the same time that Mayim did, so I don't count that -- I ran out of time.

I should've gotten Farragut but I misunderstood the clue and thought they wanted the name of the ship.  I did get most of the others, though, except mud puppies and erratum.  I also got Terrence Malick; I absolutely love Days of Heaven and find it hard to believe that it was only his second feature-length film as a director.

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I did get Blue Christmas even though I had absolutely convinced myself that the clue had referred to Elvis Costello.

And now I want to hear him do a version of Blue Christmas.

10 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Out of Africa?? 

Well, the Catskills ARE out of Africa, very, very far out of Africa, lol.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe they were like me, mentally going "Oh crap, I know this one, oh crap, the fat one with the stolen art collection, damn it, what's his name"?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

1920s American lit is always Hemingway or Fitzgerald.  I went with Fitzgerald…..

Fitzgerald here! But at least I didn't go with "The Great Gatsby"....I went with "Tender is the Night".

Yep, me too, but I was still trying to come up with a title before time ran out.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Hint: it's the site of a former racetrack...

Churchill Downs ... ? Oh wait, that racetrack is still in operation.

Again, good on the players for knowing they can bet up to $1000 and $2000 on Daily Doubles since the current host does not bother to tell them.

Lucky Danielle for getting to meet Ken. And then win a game with him as host. Talk about knocking a bucket list out of the park!

Well, Isak Dinesen could sound like a Jewish woman winning a mamba contest in New York. I can't make fun of anyone's pulled-out-of-the-air guess.

ETA: Thanks for the recap @853fisher, what a great time that was, and again, a zillion congrats to Danielle. What an amazing achievement even getting on that show much less ...

And best of luck to your parents, too. But moving ... UGH!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Could have been Kit Kroc...

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

I just watched a movie called The Devil's Mistress on Netflix (I've had it on my list for a while and I got a notification that it and a couple others would be leaving soon so I watched them all on Saturday), which is about an actress who was involved with Joseph Goebbels. I knew by the picture that it wasn't him but I couldn't get his name out of the way in my head.

Edited by ams1001
punctuation
  • Love 4

I guess I should have more accurately said, in stating I was surprised no one even guessed Hermann Göring, I was surprised no one even guessed any Nazi war criminal.  I would think if the average J! contestant was asked to name as many as they could of the two dozen defendants in that Nuremberg trial, they could spit out one or both of Hess and Göring.  So for no one to even try with one of those two names surprised me.  It was worth $2000, but with half the clues left to go, so I'm surprised no one took a shot at it.

• Love 4