Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I got a failure slip and my mom had to talk to the teacher (I believe her name was Miss Radke).  Mom told me not to fail so my BFF (who also got a failure slip) and I rallied and got  Cs as final grades.  Geometry never made sense and I can’t even fathom having to prove a theorem.

I got straight A's, but never really understood it in anything but a performative level. It's all Greek to me.  

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I burst out laughing when Mayim said Kit Carson. My husband looked at me like I had lost my mind. 😂

I basically shouted it out, with the same reaction from the mister.

15 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Kit Carson!  And a Mr Darcy question!!

I’m sad no one knew the Tallchiefs and Camelot. Heh and a bit annoyed no one knew Auntie Mame. Everyone should know Auntie Mame. 

I recognized the Tallchiefs' name, but I don't know much about dance, so I didn't get it. But Mame? An instaget.

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also got Tallchief, Camelot, the Vietnam War, the Mexico City DD, Auntie Mame, Ann Dowd, and Aunt Polly. I made a lucky guess on FJ.

I couldn't get Dowd's name to come to mind to save my soul. I freaking love her, but all I heard were crickets in my head.

14 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Feh on Bananarama.  I have the 45 original by Shocking Blue. And the name was Venus 

It's Shocking Blue for me too. Don't have the 45, but it's the one that stays in my mind's music player.

I did relatively well today. I didn't nod off at all (and didn't need a strategic nap), so my jet lag is improving. I nearly ran three categories. (for me, nearly running a category is a triumph)

I did not get FJ because I overthought it. For some reason I thought "royal" had to be a trick, and that it couldn't be a part of Great Britain. So I fruitlessly sought other countries with states and some sort of royal connections and the 1901 timeline. Just before time, Australia flitted threw my head, but I smacked it away. Sigh...

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Did anyone else think of the "squat cobbler" from Better Call Saul?

🖐️ I'll never hear of cobblers without thinking of it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I mixed up aunt Becky and aunt Polly.  Wrong century and genre

Tom Sawyer does have Becky Thatcher and I blamed her for Aunt Becky coming into my head. I had forgotten about Full House. 

• Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I mixed up aunt Becky and aunt Polly.  Wrong century and genre

I also said Aunt Becky instead of Aunt Polly but Becky Thatcher was Tom Sawyer's love interest so I think that's where I went wrong.

D'oh! Pipped by @SomeTameGazelle. I should have typed faster😄

Edited by Trey
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I also said Aunt Becky instead of Aunt Polly but Becky Thatcher was Tom Sawyer's love interest so I think that's where I went wrong.

D'oh! Pipped by @SomeTameGazelle. I should have typed faster😄

Well that's closer so I will just use that as my excuse too

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I thought Becky, too, but I knew it was wrong. Couldn't think of the aunt's name.

• Love 2

The only reason I guessed Aunt Polly was because of the no-longer-in-existence Aunt Polly's "restaurant" on Tom Sawyer Island at Walt Disney World. I put restaurant in quotes because back in the '90s when my kids were little, their menu consisted of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. 😄 It was a perfect place to get some peace away from the Magic Kingdom crowds. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/12/2022 at 4:38 PM, Bastet said:

Geometry is not even in the same solar system as my wheelhouse; it made freshman year of high school miserable and is responsible for the one and only "C" I ever got in my life.

My first "B" sophomore year and I was pissed.  Then it got worse with Algebra II and Physics

• Love 1
(edited)

I couldn't make sense of the Kit Carson clue at the time. It was easier for me to understand on J-Archive, where it's presented in mixed-case letters (as opposed to Jeopardy's all-caps).

I thought I was being punk'd when the answer to a clue I could not comprehend turned out to be Kit Carson!

MAKING-OUT-ROAD DIVORCED THIS FRONTIERSMAN & STATE CAPITAL NAME SOURCE CHEYENNE STYLE, LEAVING HIS STUFF OUTSIDE HER LODGE

vs.

Making-Out-Road divorced this frontiersman & state capital name source Cheyenne style, leaving his stuff outside her lodge

Edited by dcalley
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

I misunderstood "socioeconomic place" in the clue for "caste" because I was thinking of a place in the physical realm. What would a socioeconomic place be, the offices of the Fed or something? You got me this time, writers. ;)

I was glad to see Ryan win. Someone on Reddit said Ryan has driven them before and was just as personable as he seemed on TV. No doubt we all know smart and interesting people from all walks of life, and I like seeing that reflected on Jeopardy! The part of me that remembers the way some looked down on me when I was working as a barista and a grocery app shopper will always root for someone like a rideshare driver.

• Love 17

Ugh. Only ran one category (Taylor's Version), missed one in DC Tourism, three Treaties, and two in everything else. Got the TSes of caste, Irish Setter, ride of witches (total guess). And I have a perfect score for the FJ contest. Perfectly round, that is. Must be because it's Friday the 13th...

23 minutes ago, TVJunkee said:

My first "B" sophomore year and I was pissed.  Then it got worse with Algebra II and Physics

I always had passing grades, but I actually did "well" in math for the first time when I was a freshman in high school, in Algebra 1A/B, when I finally got a teacher who made things make sense to me. Sophomore year I did less well when I had Algebra 1C/Geometry A with a different teacher, who everybody loved, probably because he was slightly more interested in being the cool teacher than teaching well. Junior year, Geometry B/C, I was back with the first teacher (who was annoyed because most of us had been in the same class the year before and she had to spend the first couple weeks reviewing all the things we should have known already) and did well enough that she bumped me up to regular Algebra 2 (also with her) for my senior year. I graduated in 1993, then majored in English Lit in college, where I took the bare minimum of math I needed to graduate, and barely remember any of it.

• Love 2

I'm glad Ryan won; he was my favourite of the three although the others were fine too.

Not a great game for me; I got only two ts's, barn and Irish setter which surprised me being a ts.

Did not get FJ.  It's another one I gave up on too easily when a little brain work might have brought it to me - German person and the date should have said King George the something , thus, Georgia.

• Love 4

Final was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of caste, Irish Setter, an witches.

I got the entire category of holidays right.

I had a pretty good game.  I had 6 categories where I only missed one clue and at least a couple of more that I only missed 2.

• Love 2

I surprised myself by getting FJ.  Mostly because I ran through the original colonies in my head, and Georgia made the most sense.  

The only TS I got tonight were caste and Irish Setter.  

• Love 3

The best teacher I had in college started the semester by telling us that he had attended the same college and taken the same (rather technical) course. Three times. So he knew what all the difficult parts were, and had figured out how to explain them.

• Love 4

I feel like I must be missing something obvious but how does the category name “brisk lit” connect with the clues?

And isn’t M. Butterfly equivalent to Madam Butterfly?  I must be missing some nuance here. 

• Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I feel like I must be missing something obvious but how does the category name “brisk lit” connect with the clues?

And isn’t M. Butterfly equivalent to Madam Butterfly?  I must be missing some nuance here. 

From Wikipedia:  "M. Butterfly is a play by David Henry Hwang. The story, while entwined with that of the opera Madama Butterfly, is based most directly on the relationship between French diplomat Bernard Boursicot and Shi Pei Pu, a Peking opera singer. The play premiered on Broadway in 1988 and won the 1988 Tony Award for Best Play. In addition to this, it was a Pulitzer Prize for Drama finalist in 1989."

When the category is "D.C. Tourism," why the hell would you say, "What is the Eiffel Tower?" ??  That lady had trouble remembering the category more than once.

ETA: Second Friday in a row that living in Metro Atlanta has helped me with FJ.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I couldn't figure it out either.  Books to read over an iced tea?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I thought it was going to be about short stories or something but then the first clue was Catch 22 and I pictured how thick that book is (544 pages in the 50th anniversary edition from 2011, according to the B&N website...)

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was another who was befuddled by what "Brisk Lit" was even asking for, never mind how the clues actually connected to the questions.

M. Butterfly would translate to Monsieur Butterfly, and is the title of a play (and therefore incorrect for the category).  Madame (or Madama) Butterfly is an opera by Puccini.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I liked Ryan but come on, pretty much anyone can do Schwarzenegger. It's like Christopher Walken.  

As soon as Mayim said "impression" I hit the mute button.  I space out during the personal bits anyway, but I have zero desire to see a serious quiz show turned into amateur hour.

• Love 2

I fell asleep, so just checked the archive.

The Irish Setter TS surprised me.

I ran Taylors and the vocabulary category, and got all but one in three other first round categories, but I missed three in lit (and in the cases of The Wind in the Willows and The Canterbury Tales, did a mental forehead smack when the responses were revealed).

I did well in DJ other than in yet another damn Bible category, where I missed three.  I only ran treaties and communication, but I got all but one in the rest.

FJ came to me pretty quickly - born in a palace told me it was a state named after a king, and Georgia was the first one that came to mind. I wasn't sure if a George had been born in Germany, but I figured that was right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really liked Ryan - I realized part way through that he reminds me quite a bit of one of my good friends, so that also is probably helping my opinion of him. I am glad he won.

• Love 6

I also am baffled by what "Brisk Lit" was. Looking up "brisk," I found "quick, lively, and refreshing." So I guess that applies, although it's so broad that it could include any literature  that isn't notoriously slow. Or maybe it was some kind of spoof of "Brit Lit"? 

I knew caste, the sun, busy signal, and Fidelio. For FJ, I got hung up trying to choose between South Carolina and North Carolina, and only remembered Georgia after time was up.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm back! Did pretty well in my modest way.

I ran DC Tourism, almost ran Brisk Lit (am also befuddled by the category name, the only thing I could come up with was if you drop a letter, then it's Risk Lit, but that's not the right category and not all the works involve risk).

In drop a letter, I went with Trash / Rash (as in rash of bacon - looked it up, it is a measurement...sort of) But oh well.

Didn't do quite as well in Double Jeopardy, though if I can count 3 of 4 questions answered, then I can say I almost ran Opera. Thanks to years of Jeopardy - I finally got Aida right! I also got the witch thing right because hexe = witch in German. My uncle used to call me his hexelein (trust me, it was an endearment).

I worked out FJ fairly easily - back tracking from the revolution when George III was king, and knowing that quite a bit of British royalty was German born. The mister didn't get it, which surprised me. I guess he knows his presidents in American History, but not the kings.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

In drop a letter, I went with Trash / Rash (as in rash of bacon - looked it up, it is a measurement...sort of) But oh well.

I said the same thing!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Isn't it a rasher of bacon ? It always was when I was growing up.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I said the same thing, too!  

7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also am baffled by what "Brisk Lit" was. Looking up "brisk," I found "quick, lively, and refreshing." So I guess that applies, although it's so broad that it could include any literature  that isn't notoriously slow. Or maybe it was some kind of spoof of "Brit Lit"? 

I can't think of any other case where the category name didn't either straightforwardly describe the topic or cutely target/limit the responses. I definitely expected all of the titles to be somehow related to speed. The closest any of these came to that was "Canter"bury Tales, and that would have been a stretch. There is no case to be made for Fear and Loathing. 

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Trash came into my head but since the clue indicated the word had another T in it I overcame litre to get to liter. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I was just reading Friday's game recap on reddit and saw this in the comments: 

Add an H to a four-letter colloquial name for a popular soda from Atlanta to get this word for what Daniel did during today’s Final Jeopardy.

Atlanta. Georgia. Get it?

I thought, "well that's mean," until I looked at the poster's name and realized it was Daniel himself. He then went on to discuss his though process and other factors.

Danielle Maurer replied to him with, "Friday Final Js are exclusively for Georgia, apparently. We've claimed them, and that's that" and Daniel responded, "I’m going to blind guess Atlanta next Friday." I will have a good laugh it it turns out to be right.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

Maybe "Brisk Lit" is referring to the brevity of the clues in relation to the works of literature themselves? Or how you have to answer them quickly (just as quickly as any other category, of course)?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Or maybe it was some kind of spoof of "Brit Lit"? 

I thought about that in the commercial break, trying to figure out what that category meant, but while three of the works were by British authors, the other two were American.

48 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Maybe "Brisk Lit" is referring to the brevity of the clues in relation to the works of literature themselves?

I considered that, too, but while there are three 500ish-page books, there's also a sonnet and The Wind in the Willows.  And the clues aren't notably shorter than a typical J! clue, although they are consistently on the short end of average, so I sense brief was indeed the theme.

It would have been better to do the A.B.C.D. format they've employed in other quick summary categories, though, where that's one fact each, e.g. "Grahame. Mr. Toad. Grand Theft Auto. Imprisonment" instead of "Mr. Toad steals a car & goes to prison in this Grahame cracker of a book".

Because these clues weren't brisk.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I thought about that in the commercial break, trying to figure out what that category meant, but while three of the works were by British authors, the other two were American.

I know...that's why I said it would have been a spoof.

My new theory: "Brisk" meant a rapid survey of 5 different types of literature: 1 novel, (Catch-22) 1 gonzo journalism book (Fear and Loathing...), 1 poem (Sonnet 130), 1 children's book, (The Wind in the Willows) 1 anthology (The Canterbury Tales).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also am baffled by what "Brisk Lit" was. Looking up "brisk," I found "quick, lively, and refreshing." 

Active, fast, quick, energetic, cold, abrupt, sharp, enlivening. All of these are synonyms for “brisk”. And if you squint real hard (I mean real hard), I guess all of these works could fit one of those meanings?

But, yeah. There should have been some explanation. And I, too, blame Mayim. Just because.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 5/11/2022 at 4:40 PM, ams1001 said:

"Gambit"' is one of the few words I can readily associated with chess...(usually in the phrase "opening gambit" which the interwebs tells me is redundant because the word means an opening).

Yeah, her hair looks nice this week. I liked it during her last stint, too. So far this week she isn't bugging me too much. 

she still bugs me!!!  i wish she'd keep her head and shoulders still.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2022 at 7:45 PM, Trey said:

Did not get FJ.  It's another one I gave up on too easily when a little brain work might have brought it to me - German person and the date should have said King George the something , thus, Georgia.

It helps if you know that the King Georges came from the House of Hanover.  But then, even if you know it, you have to be able to drag it out of your brain in the time allotted.  I got it almost instantly, but there have been times when I just couldn't come up with the answer in time.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:30 PM, Leeds said:

M. Butterfly would translate to Monsieur Butterfly, and is the title of a play (and therefore incorrect for the category).  Madame (or Madama) Butterfly is an opera by Puccini.

I solved that issue by answer with the character's actual name in the opera, Cio-Cio-San.

And this is where I confess that I actually missed an answer in my beloved opera category.  In my defense, I've never seen or listened to Hansel & Gretel, nor do I speak German beyond what I learned from Hogan's Heroes, but since I have read the fairy tale, there's really not much of an excuse for missing "witches".

On 5/13/2022 at 11:28 PM, Bastet said:

I wasn't sure if a George had been born in Germany, but I figured that was right.

The first two Georges were born in Germany before George I became King of England.  The Hanovers were descended from the granddaughter of James I and were placed on the throne after the death of Queen Anne as a Protestant alternative to the descendants of James II who had converted to Catholicism.

I didn't get all the stumpers (damn you, witches & caste) but did get sun, Red Barn, Irish Setter, Red Cloud, busy signal and Fidelio.

I don't think they should've accepted The Grinch for How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  I don't care that the title in Britain was The Grinch - which is what the archive claims.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't think they should've accepted The Grinch for How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  I don't care that the title in Britain was The Grinch - which is what the archive claims.

I felt pretty strongly that Mary was wrong because "The Grinch" was the more recent animated film and the 2000 live-action one the clue was about was "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."  However, I did some Googling after the show and found "The Grinch" not only on theatrical or home releases in a number of countries, but also on some promotional materials from this country.  I think she got lucky, not like she could have identified any of the specific materials / locations / whatever that proved her right, but IMO it was a fair ruling, with definite style points off to make myself feel better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I said The Grinch, figuring there was more to the title but having no idea what it was (I've never seen it, just know there's a Grinch movie), so I was pleasantly surprised that was accepted.

• Love 2
(edited)

Starting out better than last week (73% / 70% / 70%) ..Ran Face the Music, That Book Plagues Me, and Close to the Vest. Missed one each in four other categories. Not so great in Horses with Names (missed 3) and Bank Roles (4). My only TS were Chile, Camus, poker, and femur (DD) (and half of the Roulette clue - I guessed 0 but I know nothing about Roulette except there's a spinny wheel). Did not get FJ (was distracted by the word Mississippi and not thinking about all the other states the river goes through...though honestly I probably wouldn't have gotten there, anyway.) Bonus: the game ended just in time for the threatened storm to roll in (edit: which seems to be a dud, anyway).

On 5/15/2022 at 3:25 PM, jaybird2 said:

she still bugs me!!!  i wish she'd keep her head and shoulders still.

I seem to find she bugs me more as her stint goes on. Tonight I'm noticing how often she says "[Here's a fact you provided about yourself that I'm reading off my little card], is that correct?"

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6