Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Only ran Outside Your House and got three TSes (matador, buddhism, and gambit). That's the best I can say for this game. I'm not off to a good start for the FJ contest this week...trying to think of some round foods we haven't had yet...

• Love 3

I object to the wording of Final Jeopardy.  Woodstock was not an ongoing music festival like Coachella or Glastonbury, it was a one-off that got an anniversary celebration thirty years later.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18

I got FJ right.

I got the missed clues of 2, Ethan Allen, gambit, gleaners and Buddhism (after the wrong answer of Shinto).

I got the entire partial category of Goodman right.

So-so night.

(edited)

FJ was an instaget, but Lollapalooza was a good bad guess. I'm used to answers easy for me being unknowns for the players. I do not know what that means.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

FJ was an instaget, but Lollapalooza was a good bad guess. I'm used to answers easy for me being unknowns for the players. I do not know what that means.

I thought of Lollaplooza and Coachella but both are still going on so that didn't make sense. Woodstock crossed my mind but I didn't know if the date made sense. Never settled on any two in time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

I object to the wording of Final Jeopardy.  Woodstock was not an ongoing music festival like Coachella or Glastonbury, it was a one-off that got an anniversary celebration thirty years later.

Woodstock had three festivals. 1969, 1994 and 1999.

I knew immediately Woodstock was one of the answers because of the one in 1999 but I also wrongly guessed Lollapalooza as the other.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I knew immediately Woodstock was one of the answers because of the one in 1999 but I also wrongly guessed Lollapalooza as the other.

I was pretty sure Lollapalooza started earlier than that. Just looked it up; it started as a touring show in 1991, then ran annually until 1997, was revived in 2003, was cancelled in 2004 due to poor ticket sales, then retooled and settled in Chicago in 2005. International versions started in 2011.

1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

Forgot to say my favorite answer ever: Shrubbery!

monty python ni GIF

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I noticed Mayim did tell them how much they could wager-- but not consistently. I think the production team is lazy and sloppy if they're not making a standard and holding her to it. But it does seem like she's at least starting to correct some of her mistakes, some of the time.

I had the odd experience of getting a lot of the triple stumpers today, but very few of the ones the contestants got. 

• Love 4

Article III says all federal court judges, not just Supreme Court justices, shall hold office during good behavior.  A "Be less specific" prompt?  I guess not, since, as written, "one supreme Court" was the only one specified; the rest were mentioned as "such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish".

I'm surprised no one figured out/guessed matador.  No one knowing/guessing gambit with "G" spotted surprised me, too.  As did the Buddhism TS, too, with Shinto ruled out.

I was so hoping whomever rang in on the shrubbery answer would say it like the knights who say "Ni", but, sadly, it did not happen.

I didn't do quite as well as last night, but I had another good game.  I got all but three in the first round and all but six in DJ.

And I did far better in FJ than last night; it was pretty much an instaget -- I immediately knew 1999 was the last Woodstock, and Coachella was my first guess for the other one as that seemed like the right year.  I thought some more about other modern music festivals that might have started in '99 - and considered both Lollapalooza and Burning Man but felt strongly they both were earlier than that (the other brief thought was Bonnaroo, but I knew that started later) - so wound up very confident in my answer. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Tonight’s TS of Rita Mae Brown……sigh, my girl crush novel of my college years. 

I got it, but needed the extra time from it being a TS to do so since, thanks to Ghost, I always first say Oda Mae Brown before correcting myself.

• LOL 5

I got Woodstock immediately, and knew the other had to be on the West coast, but couldn’t come up with anything. Burning Man? The hubs corrected with Coachella, so we tagteamed that one. If they ever did Couples Jeopardy, we’d clean up.

Sorry to see Danielle go already, but I’m glad she got 2 games, at least. Dethroning a major champ and then proving it wasn’t just luck is quite the accomplishment, and I hope she’s very proud!

• Love 8

I liked all three contestants so was happy with whichever of them won.

My ts's were charity, Rita Mae Brown (I've read many of her books), matador, and gambit.

No idea for FJ.  Music festivals are not in my wheelhouse.  I came up with two festivals, Lollapalooza and Newport Jazz Festival but had little hope either one was correct.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2022 at 7:35 PM, Bastet said:

In the Heat of the Night being a TS made me sad.

It made me sad because "They call me MR Tibbs" came into my head immediately, and I couldn't shake it out to get to the title.

Spotty game - just back from my trip (which was longer than intended) and still suffering from jetlag, so I've been dozing during the games. Frustrating, but incredibly nice dozes. If only you could be transported directly to bed...

So I'm not expecting much in the way of doing well this week. Hopefully my brain fog and jet lag will clear up soon.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought Passover might deserve a "be more specific" rather than an outright no. 

Passover is the name of the holiday. The seder is the name of the event being described. They're not interchangeable any more than "Midnight Mass" is interchangeable with "Christmas" or "saying of vows" is interchangeable with "wedding". 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Passover is the name of the holiday. The seder is the name of the event being described. They're not interchangeable any more than "Midnight Mass" is interchangeable with "Christmas" or "saying of vows" is interchangeable with "wedding". 

Be more specific doesn't mean interchangeable. Depending on the wording of the clue, if someone responded "Easter" and what they wanted was "Easter Vigil" I would think BMS could be appropriate. Since "Passover seder" is common usage I thought Passover was not incorrect yet.  The alternative might have been to let the time run out (in case she added seder) without comment.

In a world where Jeopardy allows BMS for tundra/permafrost (IMO tundra should have been ruled incorrect) and unchained/unshackled (IMO unchained should have been accepted) I don't know what to expect. 

• Love 8

Having previously been a critic of Mayim's wardrobe, I have to admit that while I think the blazer was too much, I did really like her blouse and skirt.

I thought of Woodstock for FJ but probably would've said Lollapalooza for the second part.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

No one knowing/guessing gambit with "G" spotted surprised me, too. 

Maybe they were like me and know very little about chess so it didn't occur to them.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Having previously been a critic of Mayim's wardrobe, I have to admit that while I think the blazer was too much, I did really like her blouse and skirt.

I also think her hairstyles are improving. Perhaps she began hosting when she was in the throes of growing out a bad haircut. 

I me up with the TSs of shark, two, gambit, and Buddhism. I knew Woodstock and was thinking of Glastonbury as the other part, so no FJ for me. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It made me sad because "They call me MR Tibbs" came into my head immediately, and I couldn't shake it out to get to the title.

Same happened to me, except I was so sure I was correct, I was somewhat stunned when the real answer was given.

Welcome back @Clanstarling! You've been missed.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe they were like me and know very little about chess so it didn't occur to them.

"Gambit"' is one of the few words I can readily associated with chess...(usually in the phrase "opening gambit" which the interwebs tells me is redundant because the word means an opening).

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I also think her hairstyles are improving. Perhaps she began hosting when she was in the throes of growing out a bad haircut. 

Yeah, her hair looks nice this week. I liked it during her last stint, too. So far this week she isn't bugging me too much. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Catching up from last night -- I correctly guessed Coachella, but couldn't come up with another music festival.  Woodstock did cross my mind, but I quickly discarded it.  Oh well.  I'm off to a bad start this week for FJ!

But I did get several TS, including two/too, Ethan Allan, matador, gleaners, Zero, Across the Universe, and Buddhism.

Maybe tonight will be better for me for FJ.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, you know what they say about all good things!  We are all very proud of Danielle.  She will be supporting Mattea in the ToC, naturally.  I was glad she was able to mention one of our choral groups, which I know are very dear to her.

If you are curious about the cosplay you mentioned, here is her Instagram.  I did once attend the big con in Atlanta and got to see her and other friends in action - very interesting, if a bit crowded and chaotic for me.

By the way, 100% of people I know who have been on the show after meeting me have become champions.  (Danielle and my former professor T.J. Tallie last year, or something, who knows, time is no longer linear.)  Correlation or causation, who can say?

I really try not to rag on Mayim daily.  Lord knows Alex, who had many virtues, didn't always find the mot juste.  But I found her side of the interaction with Cherry ("Glad to hear that spitting in a tube worked better than drawing blood!") tragically awkward.  She basically just repeated the anecdote to Cherry with a hint of a chuckle for some reason.  I guess if it's not neuroscience...

I had no hope in FJ because I was trying to think of regular events.  I never would have thought of Woodstock in a thousand years.  I'm not claiming that the clue was wrong, but to my mind, there was one Woodstock plus commemorations, not several Woodstocks, so that the 30th anniversary was the "last Woodstock."  Although of course it was.  Oh well!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 13

Ugh, I got a bit lost early on and almost gave up on keeping score. Wishing I had because I did terribly tonight. Ran 4! and all but failed Geometry (got one); everything else was somewhere in between. My TSes were club, T2, Hebrew National, Venus, and Days of Wine & Roses. Still on track for a nice round number in the FJ contest for the week.

I do not know what Mayim found so funny about Daniel's prom-chaperone story...

I did like her blouse (I said that last time she wore it, too - it's a repeat! 😲).

Whenever I go to jeopardy.com/overheard (as directed) after the show (7:30 Eastern), the video they're referring to is never there yet.

• Love 2

I don't care what Mayim said - the song is "Venus," not "And Venus Was Her Name."  I gave myself credit for knowing the TS after I checked and saw that Bananarama's official video is titled "Venus" and I found the song's lyrics online, and the song title was shown as "Venus."

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Still on track for a nice round number in the FJ contest for the week.

Me too.  Two more chances to not get skunked.

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of Go West Young Man, stoning, date, happy hour, and days of wine and roses.

I guessed Benito for FJ but didn't think it was right.  It wasn't.

Somebody must have finally told Mayim that she is to tell the contestants they can wager up to $1000 or $2000.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, TV is my friend said:

I don't care what Mayim said - the song is "Venus," not "And Venus Was Her Name."  I gave myself credit for knowing the TS after I checked and saw that Bananarama's official video is titled "Venus" and I found the song's lyrics online, and the song title was shown as "Venus."

The J! Archive just says "Venus." Mayim was trying too hard to be cute; she should have made it clearer that the song title is "Venus."

• Love 13

I knew the FJ response was from The Godfather but I didn't recall it closely enough to have remembered that name, and I guess I wasn't feeling like trying to translate either.  Like Citizen Kane, that's a movie I thought was well worth a trip to a theater for an "experience."  Neither is in my top ten but I thought both were excellent.

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The J! Archive just says "Venus." Mayim was trying too hard to be cute; she should have made it clearer that the song title is "Venus."

For example "'And Venus was her name.'  That was 'Venus.'  Micaela?"  Easy peasy.  I actually didn't mind what she said, and thought it was a nice example of a brief, relevant, interesting comment in addition to the response.  But I knew it was "Venus" so I hadn't considered that putting it that way might have been unclear.

• Love 5

I said Vito because I figured it was a godfather character, but I knew that was wrong.

I got the missed clues of Go West YOung Man, date, Venus, Hebrew National, happy hour, cowherd and days of wine and roses.

I got the entire category of timely talk right.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Vito because I figured it was a godfather character, but I knew that was wrong.

I figured it was The Godfather but I've never seen the movie. Can't even name another character besides Vito Corleone off the top of my head. I tried thinking of possible translations but I wouldn't have come up with clemency, let alone the Italian translation, especially not in 30 seconds or less.

• Love 3
(edited)

I also knew FJ must have come from The Godfather, but I haven't ever seen any of those movies either, so I was stuck trying to dredge some vocabulary from my college Italian classes.  I failed.  The dredging, not the classes.  I did quite well in the classes.

So many TS!  And some that were really surprising.  The ones I got include, "Go west young man", Franklin, radius and diameter, stoning, date(!), "What's Love Got To Do With It"(!), "Venus", Walker's, and days of wine and roses.  It did take me a second to figure out stoning, after I ruled out death by butterflies.  Because those are lepidopterans, not lapidated.

ETA: I really did not like Mallory's top tonight.  Shiny black puffy shoulders?  No thanks.

Edited by Browncoat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

I trust it wasn't intended this way, but Mayim's "ummmm, alright" when Mallory explained what she had started writing in FJ came across very "Mean Girls" to me.  What was your guess on that one, then, Mayim?  There was also a very chunky edit between the "50 Cent(s)" clue and the next one...is it possible she managed to bobble what should have been a very easy ruling there?  Oy vey, I miss Ken so very much as soon as he's gone.

16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I figured it was The Godfather but I've never seen the movie. Can't even name another character besides Vito Corleone off the top of my head.

That's about where I was, except that I saw it, so shame on me.  I think Vito means "life" and Corleone means "lionheart," which is all great, except that I didn't know what "mercy" was. ;)  I wonder if when I inevitably watch it again I will retain the names of the characters better.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

That's about where I was, except that I saw it, so shame on me.  I think Vito means "life" and Corleone means "lionheart," which is all great, except that I didn't know what "mercy" was. ;)  I wonder if when I inevitably watch it again I will retain the names of the characters better.

It made so much sense when I saw the answer, and of course immediately knew it was from clemency, but I had no idea there was a character named Clemenza.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

It did take me a second to figure out stoning, after I ruled out death by butterflies.  

41 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Hmm?  How exactly would that work?

Not sure if anyone watches The Conners, but they actually laid out that very scenario on tonight’s episode:

Spoiler

Brides walking down the aisle covered in live butterflies. Need to be covered in nectar for that to work. But the nectar will attract the live tiger that is also at said wedding. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm batting 1000 minus the "1" for FJ so far this week, but I have a lot of family stuff right now, so. . .

I've never seen The Godfather movie, but I read the book as a teenager in 1969 --Mom bought a hardback copy of nearly every book that was on the NY Times bestseller list as soon as it was out.
I did not recognize the clued names as being from that book, and, even if I had, I would not have recalled any other character names, and so would never have parsed that translation. 1969 was 53 years ago, and I've never had a memory for names.

Regarding TSs:
Like many of you, Horace Greeley's "Go West Young Man, Go West" is permanently imprinted in my memory. 

I was also yelling "diameter or radius" at all of the contestants. I'm excusing the new champ Math teacher for not getting it due to the "burden of knowledge" (Buzzy).

My eldest daughter yelled "Date!" for the $200 TS of "Fruit of the palm & a social engagement," for which I congratulated her as my dad congratulated me if I got a TS when visiting them.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was also yelling "diameter or radius" at all of the contestants. I'm excusing the new champ Math teacher for not getting it due to the "burden of knowledge" (Buzzy).

That one confused me. If they were equal, wouldn’t the diameter and the radius and the circumference and the area all be the same?  Or is that some kind of Euclidean rule that only mentioned the first two?

• Love 5

I'm always disappointed when someone answers a 50 Cent clue without saying "Fiddy" instead of "Fifty".

I had to look up the "Drivers License" song; that's the only song I didn't know in that category from the lyrics, and once the title was revealed, it still meant nothing to me, so I gave it a listen -- never heard it before in my life, so I could have sat here until I expired and not come up with that.

This was not my game.  I didn't run a single category in entire thing.  I got all but one in four first round categories and three DJ categories, but missed two or three in everything else.

I did get most of the TS, though; the only ones that stumped me as well were The Three-Body Problem, happy hour, and Franklin.

I also joined them in being stumped by FJ.  I figured it was something from The Godfather, but I've never seen it.

• Love 3

That one confused me. If they were equal, wouldn’t the diameter and the radius and the circumference and the area all be the same?  Or is that some kind of Euclidean rule that only mentioned the first two?

I was confused, too.  I thought it was supposed to be "diameter and circumference."  I thought that "diameter and radius" was redundant.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm always disappointed when someone answers a 50 Cent clue without saying "Fiddy" instead of "Fifty".

I said Fiddy!

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had to look up the "Drivers License" song; that's the only song I didn't know in that category from the lyrics, and once the title was revealed, it still meant nothing to me, so I gave it a listen -- never heard it before in my life, so I could have sat here until I expired and not come up with that.

I think I saw the video once and I had no idea what all the fuss was about. Never in a million years would I have recalled a single lyric.

• Love 4
(edited)

I knew FJ was referring to The Godfather but it’s been a long while since I’ve seen it and had no idea there was a character called Clemenza. All I could think of was Vito or Fredo and I knew those weren’t right.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 1