Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

what seemed like an interminable pause before Mayim said “That’s correct.”

AIUI, they edit a bit for time, so why not delete a few seconds from pauses like that?  They could shift from the contestant's camera to the host's, so it would't be too noticeable.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought that they set that up as a gimme in order to help frame the somewhat opaque category "You Never Take Me To" -- but since they started from the bottom the contestants didn't get the benefit.

Yeah, and they put "twin city" right there in the first clue:  "Minneapolis, but we've seen an awful lot of Wild hockey games in this Twin City."  (Which is why it was at $400, but I thought it was overvalued being in DJ, period.)  Other clues said things like "this partner island" and "this companion region", but not all, and they started with one that didn't (the $2000 Chincoteague clue). 

• Love 3

I wonder why they'd pick that one of Julie Ann's anecdotes if she didn't want / they didn't want her to name the "very famous celebrity" she beat. It was like a joke without a punch line to me.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Driad said:

AIUI, they edit a bit for time, so why not delete a few seconds from pauses like that?  They could shift from the contestant's camera to the host's, so it would't be too noticeable.

Maybe production likes the pauses, too, to build suspense. For all I know, they’re telling her to do it.

6 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I wonder why they'd pick that one of Julie Ann's anecdotes if she didn't want / they didn't want her to name the "very famous celebrity" she beat. It was like a joke without a punch line to me.

I thought she was going to say it was James Holzhauer.  I was disappointed that she didn't name the person.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

I thought she was going to say it was James Holzhauer.  I was disappointed that she didn't name the person.

Oh, that's clever!  Maybe that was the joke, about a celebrity they were pointedly not naming?  If so, neither of them delivered it well.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

My TS: samovar, Ford, Gore, amnesty and Devil's Island ("island prison" is either "Alcatraz" or "Devil's Island"). For FJ, I said "the lighthouse at Alexandria" (I was thinking "screw" = "turning" or something like that), which is (I believe) at least one of the 7 Wonders of the (ancient) World (I'm talking to you Julie Ann (leaning tower of Pisa????)).

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Not as good in the J! round today but still not terrible. Ran Asian Museums, missed one Lit Bit, Container, and Word! Name!, two Drugs, and three Blooperman, for 73%. DJ was less good; missed one in Physics, World Tour, and Starts with A or Ends with Z, three in Britain and two in the others for 67%.

My mind kind of went blank on the wonders of the ancient world, so I said the Hanging Gardens of Babylon because the Pyramids didn't seem to make sense and they were the only two I could come up with. Hey, whatever works, I guess.

My TSes were ballpoint pen, John Adams, KL Tower, radioactivity and half-a-TS of trough (I didn't catch that they wanted two words; I suspect the players did the same). 

• Love 4

I was wavering between the Hanging Gardens and the Lighthouse andunfortunately landed on the wrong side.

I got the missed clues of samovar, amnesty and John Adams.

I missed the entire category of bloopers.

Not a good night.

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

(I didn't catch that they wanted two words; I suspect the players did the same). 

I knew they wanted two words, just didn't know which two. I said zenith and apex.

• Love 1

Sometimes it's a good thing not to know too much.  The Hanging Gardens of Babylon was the only Wonder of the World I could think of.  I was astonished when it was right!

I also got the TS of ballpoint pen, samovar, amnesty, and crest and trough.

• Love 7

I also said the Lighthouse and too late remembered the Screw was to elevate water for irrigation. I said pen, knew Biro from reading books set in England but was unsure because the clue confused me.

One of the noticeable pauses today was for the answer of 'font' in the Baskerville clue! very odd I thought.

Josh Hill tweeted this today. I'm so glad Ryan has qualified.

@joshtigerhill

· May 6

Replying to @Jeopardy and 5 others

Agreed and thanks :) the Black visibility in particular could be better though... would be nice to see another Black player win a bunch and qualify for the ToC... Hopefully we'll see one soon... seeing as I'm the most recent Black player to qualify, and that was four years ago...

• Love 3

I knew the Velveteen Rabbit. Because I like rabbits, and I like cheese.

FJ was another tag team event here. I started listing the 7 Wonders, and my husband stopped me at Hanging Gardens. He knew what the Archimedes screw does, and was sure that was the right one. I had no idea. I’m still hoping for Couples Jeopardy.

I like Ryan more each day. He can keep winning; that’s fine by me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Ryan is way ahead and it's not because he's beating his opponents to the buzzer. I've been thinking we get repeat winning streaks because of buzzer practice, but it doesn't look like that's Ryan's magic formula.

• Love 3

Fantastic for Ryan to qualify for the ToC!  (And great tweet from Josh Hill; thank you for sharing that.  Four years!)

I laughed along with her when Mayim couldn't quite stifle her laughter as she read Dan Quayle's malapropism.

The crest and trough TS surprised me; after Bradford guessed crest, I was sure someone would think A-ha! crest and trough and ring in.  The amnesty TS surprised me a bit, too, with the extra time to think about it due to a wrong answer.

Today's game was brought to me by the number two -- that's the number of clues I missed in eight of the 12 categories.  Other than that, I ran drugs and museums in the first round, and the vocabulary category in DJ, and got all but baron in Britain.

It took me a long moment to remember the Archimedes screw is a water pump, at which point I could set about thinking which one of the wonders would use one -- turns out, I don't know too many of the 7 Wonders.  I finally thought of the Hanging Gardens, but not until just as time ran out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Trey said:

Same here!  I was thinking “Jaaaaames!?!?” Then, nope.  Or maybe it was.  Hmmm

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I also said the Lighthouse and too late remembered the Screw was to elevate water for irrigation. I said pen, knew Biro from reading books set in England but was unsure because the clue confused me.

One of the noticeable pauses today was for the answer of 'font' in the Baskerville clue! very odd I thought.

Josh Hill tweeted this today. I'm so glad Ryan has qualified.

@joshtigerhill

· May 6

Replying to @Jeopardy and 5 others

Agreed and thanks :) the Black visibility in particular could be better though... would be nice to see another Black player win a bunch and qualify for the ToC... Hopefully we'll see one soon... seeing as I'm the most recent Black player to qualify, and that was four years ago...

Thanks, dgpolo, for the comment from Josh.  I couldn’t agree more.

I knew "Daddy," samovar, amnesty, crest and trough, the Al Gore DD, Devil's Island, Ford, and John Adams. I did not know that Archimedes' Screw was a water pump; I was imagining some kind of buttress for a tall building and thought of the pyramids. 

Congrats to Ryan on making the ToC. I was happy Bradford kept the game from being a runaway though.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Other than that, I ran drugs

Heh. Equally as worthy of added canned laughter as Ryan's "Let's do Drugs for $1000."

I am totally projecting, but Ryan's sigh before delivering the correct response of ARTHRITIS spoke to me of his having first hand experience with the results of that affliction. 

Am I the only one who has been thinking each day: "Even after taxes, at least Ryan can get a new car for his Uber and Lyft driving" ?

7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Oh my, it's dusty in here.

Thank you for posting this, @ProudMary. I was wondering about the necklace. And now please pass the Kleenex.🥲😭🥰

There's an older children's book with a SAMOVAR in it (maybe Snegurochka/The Snow Child?) that was in our local library that all my kids read, but I could not get that term to materialize in my mind for the TS.

I think I knew RADIOACTIVITY from the very excellent 2019 Chernobyl mini series.

And I managed to pull the GARDENS OF BABYLON out of my elementary school facts.
Things learned as a young child seem to still stick the most.
Elementary school teachers are the real influencers.

Edited by shapeshifter
Put correct response terms in all caps like we do in the NY Times Crossword Puzzle comments, which makes them easier to spot..
  • Love 9

I got the ts's of ballpoint pen, samovar, amnesty, Devil's Island (I always say Papillon first and then go to Devil's Island), and Gerald Ford.

Just last week I was thinking about Archimedes' Screw for some reason, so I figured the Hanging Gardens of Babylon was the most likely of the Seven Wonders.  I don't think I can name them all so it's a good thing the Gardens were one I can name.  I thought Leaning Tower of Pisa was a pretty poor guess from a Jeopardy! contestant.

Ryan's fourth win put him ahead of Margaret Shelton so he was already assured of a spot in the ToC.  Margaret is now at the bottom of the list.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

My thought process for FJ....well, screws are useful for hanging up plants so the the Hanging Gardens??   I'm sure one thing doesn't have to do with the other but it worked :-) 

12 hours ago, dcalley said:

I knew Baedeker from A Room with a View. It comes up 17 times in the text. (I would have guessed a higher number!)

Heh, my immediate thought when no one got it was well, none of them have seen or read Room With A View.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I laughed along with her when Mayim couldn't quite stifle her laughter as she read Dan Quayle's malapropism.

I didn't even realize it was a screw-up because my mind was busy going 'Hoosier = Indiana = Dan Quayle!'.  I just looked up the clue and boy, was it a mouthful!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

FJ was an instaget for me today, since I know that an Archimedes Screw is used to move water upwards, and you’d need that for a hanging garden.

Same thought process got me to the same answer & so fast I was surprised I was right & that only one of them got it. I just presume that if I can get it right that fast everyone will. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I knew they wanted two words, just didn't know which two. I said zenith and apex.

Reasonable guess.

13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

It was reasonable to me. The word font is modern. Baskerville created it in the 1700's. At that time (or at a later non-modern date) it would have been called "typeface." Which I'm betting was the word they were going for, with font being an acceptable answer, hence the pause.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I knew the Velveteen Rabbit. Because I like rabbits, and I like cheese.

FJ was another tag team event here. I started listing the 7 Wonders, and my husband stopped me at Hanging Gardens. He knew what the Archimedes screw does, and was sure that was the right one. I had no idea. I’m still hoping for Couples Jeopardy.

I like Ryan more each day. He can keep winning; that’s fine by me.

Velveteen Rabbit is my very favorite children's book. Sadly, never got my kids to like it. ☹️

We don't tag team, so I dismissed the Hanging Gardens because I didn't know what the Archimedes Screw does, and he knew what the screw did, but couldn't think of the hanging gardens. Yeah, a couples jeopardy would be fun!

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And I managed to pull the GARDENS OF BABYLON out of my elementary school facts.Things learned as a young child seem to still stick the most.

Sadly, the Archemides Screw was not one of my elementary facts....

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I got the ts's of ballpoint pen, samovar, amnesty, Devil's Island (I always say Papillon first and then go to Devil's Island), and Gerald Ford.

Me too!

I got ballpoint pen, samovar, Devil's Island, crest & trough. I don't keep track of the TS, so I rely on all ya'll to mention them. 😉 I ran Asian Museums, which amazed me, and did fairly well on the other answers.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

It was reasonable to me. The word font is modern. Baskerville created it in the 1700's. At that time (or at a later non-modern date) it would have been called "typeface." Which I'm betting was the word they were going for, with font being an acceptable answer, hence the pause.

That's what I figured, too.  Except that "font" is not an acceptable answer.  Baskerville is a typeface, not a font.  Fonts are particular styles or weights within a typeface.  Bold is a font.  Italics is a font.  Baskerville is a typeface.

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

That's what I figured, too.  Except that "font" is not an acceptable answer.  Baskerville is a typeface, not a font.  Fonts are particular styles or weights within a typeface.  Bold is a font.  Italics is a font.  Baskerville is a typeface.

I do agree, but I've submitted to the inevitable change in meaning in the computer age.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, 30 Helens said:

Now, just hire Brad to take over the primetime tournaments, and there will be thirty very happy Helens.

I second this idea!

On 5/18/2022 at 6:23 PM, Browncoat said:

And I cheered when Rosalind Franklin was given her props.  She really deserves equal credit with Watson and Crick (maybe more!)

Me, too.  It really sucks that she wasn't included in the Nobel Prize because she'd already died.  She was so involved in that project.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:33 PM, ams1001 said:

TSes were Book of Mormon, 1/2 of the cheese clue (Gouda), Chincoteague (even though I was slightly confused by the clue…but it said Assateague so I said Chincoteague...I agree with @853fisher, if they had started at the top I might have understood the point of the category better. ), and hematoma.

I got all of these, and the Edam 1/2 of the cheese clue.  (I really love cheese!)  Chincoteague was a instaget for me; I talked my parents into taking me there when I was 10 or 11 because I was such a fan of Misty of Chincoteague.  Couldn't convince them to buy me a pony, though.  The locals all seemed to pronounce it with the "sh" sound at the beginning but I have heard with the hard ch a few times, mostly by tv announcers.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:59 PM, Katy M said:

I got the missed cluess of falanges (sp?), St. Vincent (look at me getting a geography TS, unheard of), and grotto.

I got St. Vincent and grotto as well, and Agamemnon.  Should've gotten phalanges but didn't.  I also should've gotten China Grove, but for some reason I thought the Doobie Brothers were singing China Road.  Oops.

I did fantastic in the first round, getting all but exemplify and Amtrak (which I should've gotten but I misunderstood the clue).  Didn't do quite as well in DJ but still pretty good.  FJ was an instaget for me.  I've never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's but I knew the main character's name was Holly Golightly so it seemed obvious that it had to be Moon River.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:40 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

He's very low-energy but he has endeared himself to me because he seems good with literature/language/music categories.

Plus he fosters kittens and turned his mother into a crazy cat lady.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:55 AM, Clanstarling said:

On the other hand, I was astonished that FJ was an instaget - for  a movie I never saw. But I connected song and Holly with Moon River immediately (for some reason the character Holly Golightly sticks in my mind).

That's how it worked for me, too.

Last night's game was very mean, putting both Vice Presidents and Physics in the same round.  I did manage to come up with 2 vice presidents: John Adams and Kamala Harris.  Which is 2 more than I expected.  In Physics, I only got lift.

I did okay but not great in the first round.  Did get both samovar & ballpoint pen, though.

DJ was okay as well, despite the aforementioned VPs and Physics.  I ran Welcome to Britain and TV Personalities, and got both Devil's Island and amnesty.  Would've run World Tour but stupidly said Edinburgh instead of Glasgow.

I got FJ pretty quickly because, despite being crap at science, I somehow remembered that Archimedes' Screw involved pumping fluids uphill.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got crest but couldn't come up with trough despite all my frantic arm movements demonstrating one.

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Just last week I was thinking about Archimedes' Screw for some reason, so I figured the Hanging Gardens of Babylon was the most likely of the Seven Wonders.  I don't think I can name them all so it's a good thing the Gardens were one I can name. 

Your post made me try to name them all.  I got the Hanging Gardens, the Great Pyramid, the Colossus of Rhodes, the mausoleum of Halicarnassus and the lighthouse at Alexandria.  Had to look up a list to see the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the statue of Zeus at Olympia.  Ironically, of all 7, the Hanging Gardens are the wonder whose existence has never actually been proven.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Your post made me try to name them all.  I got the Hanging Gardens, the Great Pyramid, the Colossus of Rhodes, the mausoleum of Halicarnassus and the lighthouse at Alexandria.  Had to look up a list to see the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the statue of Zeus at Olympia.  Ironically, of all 7, the Hanging Gardens are the wonder whose existence has never actually been proven.

When I was in Rhodes they said that there was no evidence that there had ever been a colossus and you would think that they would be at the head of the line to say it did exist so 🤷‍♂️. Like most things I guess it depends who you want to believe.

• Useful 3

I can't really add much to the discussion. I like Ryan and am rooting for him. I also like when other contestants run categories as that's a confidence booster.

I do find my brain wanders when Mayim hosts. She's not bad but she's not stupendous either. She's just sorta there.

It could be worse...they could have chosen Joe Buck...shudder...

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

When I was in Rhodes they said that there was no evidence that there had ever been a colossus and you would think that they would be at the head of the line to say it did exist so 🤷‍♂️. Like most things I guess it depends who you want to believe.

Everything I could find on the internet, including Rhodes' official English tourism website, says it did exist, although most legitimate sites dispute its actual location in/near the harbor of the main port.  But we all know how much to trust things we read on the internet, lol.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Maybe Ryan seems "low energy" because he nearly died of COVID. He might still be recovering.

I didn't actually notice him being low energy, though. He seems deliberate and careful, to me. 

He's lower energy than some previous contestants, but he doesn't seem bored or like he doesn't want to be there to me.

Honestly, there seems to be a very fine line between too much/too little when it comes to contestants personalities' as far as commenters' opinions are concerned, and that line is a matter of personal preference.  Hell, I'm not sure I could even accurately define where it is for me, let alone anyone else.

I like Ryan, so I hope he keeps winning.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

He's lower energy than some previous contestants, but he doesn't seem bored or like he doesn't want to be there to me.

I tend to like the players who are more on the low-key side. I guess I can relate to them more.

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I tend to like the players who are more on the low-key side. I guess I can relate to them more.

Me, too...if I wanted manic, I'd watch Let's Make a Deal or Family Feud.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Me, too...if I wanted manic, I'd watch Let's Make a Deal or Family Feud.

I would not do well on any game show that expects the players to be all amped up. 

I tried to watch the reboot of Press Your Luck and had to turn it off because all the screaming was making me anxious...and I was just sitting alone in my living room. And I used to love that show as a kid! (I like Family Feud as a game but I can't stand Steve Harvey.)

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also got it from that.  Was it just me or did Mayim mispronounce Baedeker?  

I didn't notice. I was busy shouting out the answer and also wondering if that clue was a bit undervalued.

5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Heh, my immediate thought when no one got it was well, none of them have seen or read Room With A View.  

Bradford did get it, but only after Ryan guessed atlas. I had the same thought! :)

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I am totally projecting, but Ryan's sigh before delivering the correct response of ARTHRITIS spoke to me of his having first hand experience with the results of that affliction.

I definitely noticed Ryan's reaction. 😔 And hugs to you too @shapeshifter.  

I thought that a BMS should have been requested there and I also have a big issue with the wording of the clue: "The drug that spent the most in advertising in 2019 is Humira--$460 mil. wasted if you don't know it treats this joint condition."

Humira specifically treats Rheumatoid Arthritis, which does affect joints, but is not a "joint" condition. It is a debilitating, degenerative, systemic autoimmune disease. The joint condition is Osteo Arthritis, which is why a BMS should have been requested, especially from our host, the scientist. 🙄

Sorry for the rant, but this one hits close to home as my late mother and my permanently disabled husband have both suffered with this insidious disease that many incorrectly think of as "just" some painful, swollen joints. The disease needs better messaging.

More sloppy writing from the Clue Crew. It happens too often lately. There used to be much more precision.

*If* Ryan suffers from RA, that would be a strong reason for a low energy level that many are mentioning. Chronic fatigue is a major symptom of the disease.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8