Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It took two of us (again) to get FJ. Neither of us have ever heard of post-polio syndrome, hence the confusion.

Art deco building in NY always = the Chrysler building.

Would it have killed Mayim to wish a happy birthday? I wonder if we’ll get a similar category for her birthday. If not, I think we’ll know who is the writers’ favorite…

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, I’m old enough to have a father who did have polio when he was young. Heh, though he didn’t get FJ last night. 

I knew someone my father's age who had "post-polio syndrome," but I didn't read the clue out loud to myself

Post-this disease syndrome affects many survivors, of which the U.S. is estimated to have 300,000, the vast majority over 65

and so totally missed the "over 65" part.
I first was distracted by Long Covid being a kind of "syndrome,"  and then guessed Legionnaires' disease, even though I knew it didn't have "syndrome" as a named word attached to it. 

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Should've gotten Camaro, and I did think of it first but for some reason changed my answer to Corvette even though I know that's taken from a type of small warship.

Corvette came to my mind because Dad commuting to the city in his Corvettes made it tolerable for him, but that didn't sound like

The name of this classic Chevy introduced in 1966 was supposed to suggest a camaraderie between a car & its owner

so I did manage to come up with Camaro just in time, even though I'd never heard of that factoid about the name origin.
"Camaro" just sounded warmer and fuzzier, I guess?

Edited by shapeshifter
board software compressing spacing between paragraphs (but not between line breaks)
  • Love 1
(edited)
25 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Would it have killed Mayim to wish a happy birthday? I wonder if we’ll get a similar category for her birthday. If not, I think we’ll know who is the writers’ favorite…

We'll have to wait until December to find out...

Her birthday is December 12, which was a Sunday last year. (The next day was the first game of the Professors Tournament semifinals, which she hosted.)

Edited by ams1001
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

We'll have to wait until December to find out...

Her birthday is December 12, which was a Sunday last year. (The next day was the first game of the Professors Tournament semifinals, which she hosted.)

No chance, she's not exactly on Ken's level as either host or contestant. The only other birthday they should even think about celebrating is Alex.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Trey said:

I'm sure it was easier for Ryan to play since he now has his glasses.  I couldn't have gone out the door without my glasses.

Yeah, there is no danger of me ever forgetting my glasses, because the only time they're not on my face is when I'm asleep -- without them, everything about 18 inches from my face and beyond is fuzzy.  But if you can see well enough without them to have an Oh shit, I forgot my glasses moment, on the other side of the country as you prepare to compete in a game show in which being able to see a screen across the stage is a big help is a really unfortunate time for that to strike.  I'm glad he has them now.

4 hours ago, ABay said:

I didn't get clear cutting because I was stuck on deforestation.

Deforestation was in the clue: "One cause of deforestation is this 2-word alliterative process; lumber companies should plant new trees".

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm not going to say what I answered for FJ because it's downright embaarrassing.  We'll just say it was wrong.

I didn't get any missed clues and I didn't run any categories.  I had a bad night, although I didn't do that badly in the first round.  But, I also wouldn't say I did good.

For the screw shape, I said oxygon.  LOL. That's not even a word.  And that gives you an idea of my  night.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Not a good game tonight. Ran nothing. Missed one in Headlines, Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders, Presidents, and Yes, Yes, Yes, and 2-3 in everything else. My first vague thought on FJ was (Robert the) Bruce, and I couldn't think of anything else, so at least there's that.

Got the missed clues of Nathan Chen, Morning Edition, Ford (DD), Lewis Carroll, and 54-40 or Fight.

I do not understand Eric's beard.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I'm not going to say what I answered for FJ because it's downright embaarrassing.  We'll just say it was wrong.

For the screw shape, I said oxygon.  LOL. That's not even a word.  And that gives you an idea of my  night.

Octagon is a word; that’s probably what you meant. It’s closer to correct than what I was thinking. I said X, even though that was in the clue.

I did know fight, Nathan Chen, and the San Francisco Bay DD. I said Lancaster for FJ. I would never have come up with Bruce. 

Was it my imagination or did Ryan seem especially tired and ready to go home tonight?

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I did know fight, Nathan Chen, and the San Francisco Bay DD.

"Fight" was easy and I knew Chrysopylae = Golden Gate but I was unable to come up with the name of San Francisco Bay.

In the Jeopardy round I thought I was glad they started with the X-O category but when they wrapped it up and started the other categories it took a long time for me to stop trying to think of responses containing X-O for everything.

Went with Stuart for final, imagining the 2 countries must be Scotland and France.

• Love 3

I tuned in very late, so had to catch up on most of the game via the archive.

I can't believe no one picked up on the pun to get joint committee. 

I only ran headlines and the vocabulary category in the first round.  I got all but one in bridge and AAPI.  Sports is usually a strong subject for me, but I missed two.  I also missed two presidents, which is pretty good for me.

In DJ, I only ran medical abbreviations, but had a good round - I missed three in Bruno, but only missed two in history and got all but one in the rest.

I had no earthly idea for FJ, though.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Was it my imagination or did Ryan seem especially tired and ready to go home tonight?

I've found watching him enervating since his first appearance.  Now I have the weird paradox of clenching my fists while waiting for him to spit out an answer.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was pretty sure they were going for “high committee”. What do you mean that’s not a thing?

• LOL 4

I knew the name they wanted for FJ. I could even picture Rick Steves talking about Robert the Bruce, but could not pull it out of my brain. That's happening more and more the older I get. /Sigh

• Love 5

Oxygon (ok-si-gon) n. A shape seen only when under the influence of heavy prescription drugs. 

Can’t believe I missed “joint committee”. (But I bet @Katy M got it, amirite?? You go, girl!)

My 12-year-old brain did not get the answer for T&A surgery, because it got stuck on why an ENT would be performing the procedure rather than a plastic surgeon.

Ryan made a calculated gamble with his final wager, and it paid off, but he got lucky.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Ryan made a calculated gamble with his final wager, and it paid off, but he got lucky.

I was thinking about that too. I think I'd have done the same because I'd rather be guaranteed a tie and a shot at a tie-breaker than risk losing outright if I hadn't known FJ and Bonnie had. 

So unless Ryan had been uber-confident about the Middle Ages category, that seems like the smartest move to me. Anyone say differently?

• Love 4
15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Neither of us have ever heard of post-polio syndrome, hence the confusion.

Because I'm 81, it was an easy "answer" for me.  Several kids in my small elementary school contracted polio and a few of them were hit with post-polio decades later.  So very sad.

An okay game for me.  My only ts was Lewis Carroll but I did get FJ.  Not an instaget; I went from Stuart to Wallace to Bruce although I wasn't really sure Bruce was correct.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! I tried to think of a disease that only people of a certain age would have gotten.

I went an entirely different route - thinking of the Vietnam War and Agent Orange, but couldn't come up with a syndrome.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:12 AM, bad things are bad said:

As my family lives in the PNW, where it's commonly seen, clear cutting was an easy one.

Me too. I hate seeing the scars.

I didn't get Burns - probably because I get Robert the Bruce and Robert Burns mixed up.

I did okay in both games. We recorded Monday's Jeopardy and watched them both last night, so I have my results kind of mixed up in my head.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Trey said:

An okay game for me.  My only ts was Lewis Carroll but I did get FJ.  Not an instaget; I went from Stuart to Wallace to Bruce although I wasn't really sure Bruce was correct.

I thought Bruce then thought that wasn't a last name so went with Stuart. 😞

I did get FJ

• Love 2

I was elated when I saw the FJ category.  I would've bet everything I had on The Middle Ages had I been a contestant.  And I would've ended up with zero dollars because I completely forgot that Robert the Bruce had a brother who was a king in Ireland.  I feel like I should hand back my degree in Medieval & Renaissance Studies.

Overall I had a mediocre game, didn't run any categories and the only stumpers I got were Nathan Chen, joint (which was a joke but hey, it was right) and fight (which I only got after "die" was eliminated as an answer.  And then that horrible FJ disaster where I said Stuart.

But at least Ryan won.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Me neither.

14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Went with Stuart for final, imagining the 2 countries must be Scotland and France.

That was the direction I took as well.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't get it until just now.  D'oh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

and fight (which I only got after "die" was eliminated as an answer

I always remember Fifty-four Forty or Fight because of the alliteration. If you asked me which state it pertained to...I would probably be wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is that what they call an ironic beard?  If so, he may not intend for us to understand it.

• LOL 8

Anyone else notice Mayim doing a full-on shimmy shake behind the podium, hands grasping both sides of said podium, shimmy shimmy shake shake as the show cut to commercial? I was so sorry I looked up at the teevee at that moment, I try hard not to see her at all.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, PBnJay said:

Anyone else notice Mayim doing a full-on shimmy shake behind the podium, hands grasping both sides of said podium, shimmy shimmy shake shake as the show cut to commercial? I was so sorry I looked up at the teevee at that moment, I try hard not to see her at all.

Yes. 🙄

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, Sokarys said:

I was thinking about that too. I think I'd have done the same because I'd rather be guaranteed a tie and a shot at a tie-breaker than risk losing outright if I hadn't known FJ and Bonnie had. 

So unless Ryan had been uber-confident about the Middle Ages category, that seems like the smartest move to me. Anyone say differently?

Yes this is the classic question I don't know the answer to, play for the possible tie or bet for the win and possible loss

I think it depends on the fj category and how comfortable you are with it. If you're confident bet a $1.  If not force the other player to get it right, bet it all and then win a tiebreaker. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I always remember Fifty-four Forty or Fight because of the alliteration. If you asked me which state it pertained to...I would probably be wrong.

I only know it because there’s a quilt block with that name.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is that what they call an ironic beard?  If so, he may not intend for us to understand it.

It made me think of Mose from The Office.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/23/2022 at 2:21 PM, Clanstarling said:

I think I've only seen Goya's portraits. My only other "knowledge" of Goya was in a cool Spanish time travel series the Ministry of Time The Ministry of Time, where he's a character. It used to be on Netflix, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.

I love that show! It was so interesting seeing history from a nonUS nonUK point of view, not the same old events in a typical US/UK time travel show. Loved Valasquez and Lope De Vega. I heard a while ago there was supposed to be another set of episodes but it never happened.

For the Bruce FJ, I knew it was too late for Plantagenet and too early for Stuart but couldn't think what came between.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

Catching up from last night -- I did get FJ, but it was a circuitous route.  Stuart never occurred to me, though.  I started with Wallace, then thought about the Wallace Monument in Stirling, which led me to Stirling Castle and the statue of Robert the Bruce outside it, and I said, "Bruuuuce? Maybe? Since he's at the castle?"

The only TS I got were joint (heh), Nathan Chen, and Gerald Ford.

• Love 3

Lucille Ball was a good guess for a comedienne who passed away in 1989.  She died three and a half weeks before Gilda of an aortic aneurysm.  Her memoir is "Love, Lucy": I think it was found in her effects after she died, and it only covers her life until about the late 1960s.  She was 77 and otherwise in good health.  Perhaps she would have written something more complete if she'd had a chance.

Any ideas why Ryan guessed Fanny Brice?  It could just be a fluke (she died in 1951, after all), but I think there might have been some kind of bell rung by the memoir title, "It's Always Something."  But what that is...I can't think!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Meh game. Ran City Flags, missed one each in Nonfiction, 5 letter Ws, Bond Appetit!, two Supervillains, and all but one Historical. In DJ I ran nothing, missed one in Anthem Lyrics, the One Before the Famous One, and the unfinished Bronte category, two Jurassic, and three in Stephen and TV.

Got the missed clues of High Life, Key West, Mexico, 8th Ward, Killing Eve, Henry VII (DD) and Italy (DD).

Had to think about it for a few seconds but I got FJ pretty easily. Three for three so far...

image.png.272f9b65f291ea8eac0ed7956ffe1485.png

• LOL 8
53 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Any ideas why Ryan guessed Fanny Brice?  It could just be a fluke (she died in 1951, after all), but I think there might have been some kind of bell rung by the memoir title, "It's Always Something."  But what that is...I can't think!

Maybe because the clue used the phrase ‘funny lady’, and Funny Girl and it’s sequel Funny Lady were about Fanny Brice.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8

I got FJ.  Literally the only word of th espeech I know.

I got the missed clues of High Life, Gilda Radner (guess, I just remember her dying when I was in HS), Key West, Henry VII, Mexico, Italy and The Black List (never seen it but only show I could think of with list in the title).

I got the entire category of flags right, which is a werid category to run.

I did markedly better than last night.

• Love 5

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  

I also got the TS of High Life, Gilda Radner, Key West, 8th, and Mexico.

I didn't understand Mayim's comments about Ryan being cool before it was cool to be a Queen fan.  Wasn't it cool to be a Queen fan before Wayne's World came out?  (I admit I do the head-bobbing thing that they did when I hear "Bohemian Rhapsody", though.)

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  

I also got the TS of High Life, Gilda Radner, Key West, 8th, and Mexico.

I didn't understand Mayim's comments about Ryan being cool before it was cool to be a Queen fan.  Wasn't it cool to be a Queen fan before Wayne's World came out?  (I admit I do the head-bobbing thing that they did when I hear "Bohemian Rhapsody", though.)

I thought so, but I'm old.  

• Love 5

I got TS of Gilda Radner, Key West, Henry VII, 8th Ward, & The Blacklist. FJ was an instaget. I pre-guessed “we have no fear but fear itself”, so right speaker, wrong speech.

Mayim looked really pretty tonight. But I really miss Ken. 

26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It’s always been cool to be a Queen fan! 

• Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, opus said:

Maybe because the clue used the phrase ‘funny lady’, and Funny Girl and it’s sequel Funny Lady were about Fanny Brice.

That's it, thanks.  Brilliant!  So that was also an informed (if misguided) guess.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't understand Mayim's comments about Ryan being cool before it was cool to be a Queen fan.  Wasn't it cool to be a Queen fan before Wayne's World came out?

Me neither.  Maybe for 17-year-old Mayim, it took anointment by Mike Myers to qualify as cool?  Something tells me she wasn't really on the vanguard of rock at that time.

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

This was another game where Ryan answered more than half the clues (and got most of them correct).  That's pretty hard to beat (although, since Kris landed on all three DDs, he could have had he done better with them).

The Key West TS surprised me.  My psychic powers were in full form when I predicted the first contestant to ring in was going to guess Miami, but then failed me as I thought for sure one of the other two would get it right.

I'm a bit surprised no one guessed Mexico. 

The Gilda Radner TS made me a little sad.

I enjoyed the The One Before the Famous One category, even though I didn't run it (I knew the psalm was 20-something, but my guess was off by two).

I did every bit as well in movie supervillains as I expected to -- didn't get a single clue.  I feared I'd be equally terrible in the Bond category, but thankfully you didn't need to actually know the books/films; I figured out all but broccoli.  I also got all but one in historical and ran the rest, so if not for the villains I'd have had a great first round.

For DJ, I had double the terrible categorie --  I had managed to pick up via cultural osmosis that Sterling = Mad Men, but didn't come up with anything else in the TV category, and I pre-called Hawking in the Stephen category, but he and Austin were the only ones I knew.  I didn't run anything, but got all but one in the rest. 

FJ took me a moment, and then the light bulb went on (I was trying to think of a one-word synonym for "world history" before switching to just thinking about the speech, at which point its most famous phrase sprang right to mind).

• Love 3
(edited)

A reasonably good game for me.

I got the ts's of Gilda Radner, India, and Mexico, plus the missed DD of Henry VII.

FJ was an instaget.

I did laugh at the Fun with Flags category, because it was a thing Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler played on TBBT.

Edited by Trey
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, ABay said:

I love that show! It was so interesting seeing history from a nonUS nonUK point of view, not the same old events in a typical US/UK time travel show. Loved Valasquez and Lope De Vega. I heard a while ago there was supposed to be another set of episodes but it never happened.

It is probably my favorite tv time travel series because of that. I loved seeing history through another country's eyes, and how they acknowledged the dark parts of their history. Also, by hearing the terrible "American" accents on some episodes, it was easy to see how people from other nations might feel when watching US shows with an American (or British) actor playing people from their countries.

11 hours ago, 853fisher said:

That's it, thanks.  Brilliant!  So that was also an informed (if misguided) guess.

Me neither.  Maybe for 17-year-old Mayim, it took anointment by Mike Myers to qualify as cool?  Something tells me she wasn't really on the vanguard of rock at that time.

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The TS that I recall that I got also got me depressed that no one knew Gilda.

I even know where I was when I heard the news, I was getting ready to go on a business trip and my colleagues and I were sad and talked about her for part of the trip.

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

The third contestant not knowing “A date which will live in infamy” is embarrassing. That felt like a $200 level question.

To be fair, they might have overthought it like I did. "World History" didn't seem like a good swap out for "Infamy" to me, until I read the statement out loud with World History in it, and then I got it (in time)

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I did laugh at the Fun with Flags category, because it was a thing Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler played on TBBT.

We did too.

I almost ran Nonfiction (Mars/Venus got me), and Bond (beer got me). So I felt pretty good about that. I did reasonably well in the rest of the game, but tanked in TV - which is usually my sweet spot.  Oh well.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

I don't know if anyone has linked to anything about Ryan's background; if so I haven't seen it.  This article talks about some of his financial struggles prior to getting on the show.  He was hospitalized for several weeks with COVID in January 2021, and still has the lingering effects (what's often called "Long COVID").  He had to quit his job as a paratransit driver for SEPTA because he could no longer physically do it, which is why he's a rideshare driver now.  He had to borrow money to pay for his plane ticket to LA, and he only brought two dress shirts with him, because that's all he could afford.

• Love 11