Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

What happens if someone is still on a winning streak at the end of a season? Does that mean they don't play in this year's TOC, but are saved til the next one?

There are already too many people I want to win the TOC. It's going to be fun to root for everyone but stressful to see them knock each other out.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

What happens if someone is still on a winning streak at the end of a season? Does that mean they don't play in this year's TOC, but are saved til the next one?

I believe that is correct.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I tend to like the players who are more on the low-key side. I guess I can relate to them more.

I'm low key, and tend to like low key. But then again, there are more than a few contestants who aren't who captured my heart with their enthusiasm and/or weirdness. Some of whom are divisive here in the forum.

To be fair, there are more than an equal number of those meeting the description who definitely did not capture my heart. There's some undefinable connection that makes a difference between like and dislike.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

Gah, I did terrible in J!, only 50%. Ran Adele. Ran nothing in DJ but I missed two Novels and Adjectives and one each in the rest for 73%. No FJ and my only missed clue was Faulkner (DD).

• Love 1

Archive game for me, but thankfully not being able to see the photo clues wasn't much of a factor.

The J! curse strikes again, with Vangelis.

I normally do well in geography categories, but I missed three South American cities.  It just wasn't my round in general - I only ran the vocabulary category.  I almost ran Adele, but I had no idea which Bond film the song was from.  I also got all but one in St. Patrick's, but missed two each in the others.

I did much better in DJ, running four categories.  I missed three novels and two paintings.

I didn't get FJ, though, because "What is that really deep lake?" doesn't count.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't get FJ, though, because "What is that really deep lake?" doesn't count.

If the clue had said "really deep lake" I might have gotten it...

• LOL 3

I got FJ after changing my answer from The Caspian Sea.

I got the missed clues of Argentina and Farmer Jones.

I ot the entire categories of farmers and Adele right.

• Love 1

Boo, hiss -- did not get FJ tonight.  

The only TS I got were Argentina and Faulkner.

Sorry, Mayim, that is not how you pronounce "Vangelis".  Unless, of course, everything else I've ever heard about him since 1981 and Chariots of Fire to the recent tributes is incorrect. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Sorry, Mayim, that is not how you pronounce "Vangelis".  Unless, of course, everything else I've ever heard about him since 1981 and Chariots of Fire to the recent tributes is incorrect. 

I didn't notice her pronunciation...but I do know how to pronounce Vangelis, because he died this week and it was on the news. The Jeopardy curse strikes again.

Anyone else think Eliot needed a BMS? I mean...he could have meant TS Eliot.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Anyone else think Eliot needed a BMS?

No. This is the clue.

Her 1876 work
"Daniel Deronda"

TS Eliot had nothing to do with that work. TS Eliot is not a "her".

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

No. This is the clue.

TS Eliot had nothing to do with that work. TS Eliot is not a "her".

TS Eliot is an anagram of toilets, which was a helpful bit of trivia back in the days of my British English lit exams, when you'd have 3 hours to show off your erudition, and spelling.

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 9
(edited)
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He's lower energy than some previous contestants, but he doesn't seem bored or like he doesn't want to be there to me.

To me, he just comes off as a bit introverted. He’s made a comment or two about things he knew only because he was a nerd, focusing on things that other kids didn’t. That gives me an image of someone who spent a fair amount of time alone, reading books while his peers were out playing sports or partying, and as a result perhaps didn’t develop those more visible extrovert tendencies. Can I relate? Noooo… not at all!

8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I thought that a BMS should have been requested there and I also have a big issue with the wording of the clue: "The drug that spent the most in advertising in 2019 is Humira--$460 mil. wasted if you don't know it treats this joint condition."

Humira specifically treats Rheumatoid Arthritis, which does affect joints, but is not a "joint" condition. It is a debilitating, degenerative, systemic autoimmune disease. 

I don’t want to discount your knowledge or experience (my sincere sympathies for both your husband and mother), but Humira is prescribed not only for Rheumatoid arthritis, it is also used for Psoriatic arthritis and other inflammatory diseases. And while causing other issues, these diseases do affect the joints. That is the most obvious symptom for most people. So while it may be an oversimplification to say Humira treats a “joint condition”, it’s not wrong, either.

Saying this as a person with Psoriatic arthritis (among other autoimmune disorders) who has used Humira. 

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yes.

Today’s FJ: “‘Blue eye of Siberia’… hmm. That sounds like a lake. Is there a lake in Siberia?” “Lake Baikal?” “Is that in Siberia?” “I don’t know. I think so?”

Aaand… another tag team win in the Helens household! A hesitant, indecisive win to be sure, but we’ll take it! 😁

Edited by 30 Helens
I really need to learn to proof before posting.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Oh my God I am so sick of Mayim laughing and acting surprised every. single. time. there is a Daily Double! Why is a contestant finding a DD funny or surprising!? THERE ARE THREE OF THEM EVERY GAME THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE!! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Oh my God I am so sick of Mayim laughing and acting surprised every. single. time. there is a Daily Double! Why is a contestant finding a DD funny or surprising!? THERE ARE THREE OF THEM EVERY GAME THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE!! 

And as the host, she knows where they are!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 5/18/2022 at 12:13 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

This is the one thing I really miss about Alex and I yearn for the producers to find a permanent host who has this type of quirk.  IMHO, neither Mayim nor Ken have it.  None of the other guest hosts had it either.  I just want my Jeopardy host to have one thing that sets he/she/them apart from anyone else, something that makes them just a bit smug because of it.  Alex's deep need to correct the French from contestants was a joy.  I want my Jeopardy host to know more than me in some aspect and rub it in my face (even if Alex's French was never Parisian French).  Is Mayim smarter than me, yes, but only in certain subjects.  In other subjects, I could run laps around her.  And Ken, well he's a trivia nerd.  He has an ability to retain information, but he too has blind spots.  

I laughed out loud when Bogota was a recent response, because Alex’s exaggerated Boh-goh-TA from my long (long) ago college days is *still* a frequent reference for my BFF and me. I really missed him then…

• Love 3
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

There are already too many people I want to win the TOC. It's going to be fun to root for everyone but stressful to see them knock each other out.

I believe they are in the next one. That is why Matt is in this years, despite his start being in last season. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Not a great game for me.

My only ts was The Stations of the Cross.

For FJ, it was obviously a lake but I could not dredge up a single lake in Siberia.  I know I've heard of Lake Baikal but it is in the very deep recesses of my brain.

So that spoiled what I hoped to be my first ever 5/5 in FJ.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I didn't notice her pronunciation...but I do know how to pronounce Vangelis, because he died this week and it was on the news. The Jeopardy curse strikes again.

I don't know that I know how to pronounce Vangelis - I say van jealous. Wrong? Right? Chime in.

It was a decent game for me. Nearly ran: Novels, missed out on Eliot, though I recognized the novel.   Historical Paintings - but the Goya painting didn't look like Goya's style to me (the little bit I know about his work).  And  Diseases, should have gotten gout, but oh well.  So a better nearly ran score than usual.

Did better in "That's Admissible" than I usually do with those types of clues (if only they'd leave the word up!).  That's not saying much, but I liked it.

Got FJ right, which given my poor knowledge of geography was somewhat of a triumph! I figured it was a lake, and Baikal came to mind. I had no idea where it was, just that it was in Russia so I hoped it was in Siberia.

• Love 3
On 5/18/2022 at 3:51 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I've said this before: She's an actress playing the part of game-show host.

I agree, and I wish she would stand still when she talks!  All that twisting back and forth is annoying (well to me it is)

• Love 7

I would have thought the Humira clue would have prompted a BMS- it's for Rheumatoid Arthritis or Psoriatic Arthritis (I assume they would have accepted either).  I always assume when people just say "arthritis" they are referring to osteo arthritis, and Humira won't help with that.

Humira is also used to treat Ulcerative Colitis, but that is definitely not a joint issue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I was tickled by the Adele category.  I don't think I've heard a song from her I've disliked and she's always seemed like a good sport doing the media rounds, like this time she wore a disguise to surprise a group of Adele imitators.  Years ago I went through a brief phase when I listened to "Skyfall" so many times that it became a running joke among my housemates - you can bet I didn't miss that clue.

Humira's ads really are working for me, because as soon as its name came up, I said to myself, "yeah, adalimumab!"  That's the scientific name for the drug, which I've just learned is classified as a monoclonal antibody.  Under brand names including Humira and others, it's the 152nd most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, according to "ClinCalc."  (1st is atorvastatin, AKA Lipitor.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

i noticed in the previews for next show that Ryan is wearing his glasses. It will be interesting to see how that affects his play - being able to see the board and all that might kick things up a notch.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 5/20/2022 at 8:36 PM, chessiegal said:

TS Eliot is not a "her".

This is the reason it didn't need a BMS.  Had the clue not referenced a gender, then I would've said it did need one.  Because there's more than one writer name Eliot, just like there is more than one president named Adams, Johnson and Roosevelt.

I did get Lake Baikal, although I did briefly consider the Aral Sea.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:05 AM, Clanstarling said:

I don't know that I know how to pronounce Vangelis - I say van jealous. Wrong? Right? Chime in.

That's how I've always pronounced it.  Which doesn't necessarily mean it's correct.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:05 AM, Clanstarling said:

Historical Paintings - but the Goya painting didn't look like Goya's style to me (the little bit I know about his work). 

It fit with the style of his other historical paintings, but not necessarily with his portraits.  I recognized it but then I've seen a lot of Goya's work from various periods.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That's how I've always pronounced it.  Which doesn't necessarily mean it's correct.

It fit with the style of his other historical paintings, but not necessarily with his portraits.  I recognized it but then I've seen a lot of Goya's work from various periods.

Very true, common pronunciation does not equate to correct pronunciation.

I think I've only seen Goya's portraits. My only other "knowledge" of Goya was in a cool Spanish time travel series the Ministry of Time The Ministry of Time, where he's a character. It used to be on Netflix, but it doesn't seem to be anymore. There was an American time travel series (cannot for the life of me remember its name) that got sued because of similarities. Frankly, I preferred the Spanish one, because it taught me some stuff about Spanish history. Goya was a character.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I think I've only seen Goya's portraits. My only other "knowledge" of Goya was in a cool Spanish time travel series the Ministry of Time The Ministry of Time, where he's a character. It used to be on Netflix, but it doesn't seem to be anymore. There was an American time travel series (cannot for the life of me remember its name) that got sued because of similarities. Frankly, I preferred the Spanish one, because it taught me some stuff about Spanish history. Goya was a character.

Timeless? (the tv show)

I recognized the style but had no idea who the painter was until the answer was given, and then said “oh, of course”. Sadly, this happens to me far too often with this show.

• Love 1

80% / 60% / 70%

J! Pretty good round…ran Rainforests and May 23rd, missed one Name and US Building, and two Sports Films and Anagram Pairs.

DJ: Not a good round…ran nothing, missed one Possessive Phrase, three ADs and Composers, and two in Epic! and Salt & Pepper.

FJ: Instaget!

I got the missed clues of clear cutting, Chrysler Building (DD), Himmler, United States, flood (DD) and Gila River.

9a678edf-b633-4d46-b127-d2727cec74ac_tex

• Love 2

I got FJ right.

I got the missed clues of Chrysler Building, Baghdad, flood and USA.

I got the entire categories of rain forest and Epic right.

I had an epically good night.  OK, maybe not epically.

• LOL 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I am a little surprised that it was a TS, but I guess since everyone gets vaccinated for it these days (and it's almost eradicated worldwide!), no one even thinks about it any more.

I also got quite a few of the many TS, including Camaro, clear-cutting, Chrysler Building, Air Force, flood, Gila River, and Hobson.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! I tried to think of a disease that only people of a certain age would have gotten.

It was a shock at work  a while back when it was clear I was the only person who knew someone who came down with it in the 50s  and did survive but all used canes/and or braces, and then dealth with issues again in their later years.  Made me feel really old.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Archive game for me due to preemption.

The clear cutting TS surprised - and saddened - me.

I didn't have a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but it kind of felt like one as I only ran two categories in the entire game, both in the first round -- rainforests and anagrams.  I got all but one in seven categories, missed two each in two, and was only bad in one, missing three in salt & pepper, but I felt very ho-hum about my performance the whole game.

FJ was an instaget, at least, and I'm surprised that was a TS.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The clear cutting TS surprised - and saddened - me.

Me too.  Have you ever driven along a road with a border of trees wide enough that unless you look carefully, you might not notice that there is nothing beyond them?

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget, at least, and I'm surprised that was a TS.

Same here.  I have known people with post-polio syndrome. Double unfair.

• Love 6

I have never heard of post-polio syndrome.

An okay game for me; I got the ts's or missed DDs of Himmler, flood, Gila, and Hobson.

I'm sure it was easier for Ryan to play since he now has his glasses.  I couldn't have gone out the door without my glasses.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I'm sure it was easier for Ryan to play since he now has his glasses.  I couldn't have gone out the door without my glasses.

I noticed he seemed to have a new shirt/sweater vest, too! So far I'm enjoying Ryan's run much more than I did the previous multi-day champion.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, badgerwoman said:

I was surprised that the contestants didn't know FJ.  Could it be because of their ages?

I didn't get it even though I'm old enough to have gotten the polio vaccine.  (I mean, I guess everyone gets it now, but in the late 60s it was still kind of a big deal.)  Measles did cross my mind and I've heard of post-polio syndrome, but I just didn't get there in time.

I did very well in the Jeopardy round, running 5 of 7 categories (all but What's In A Name? & Anagram Pairs) and only missing one clue each in the other 2.  Only ran one category in DJ, though (Possessive Phrases) and missed more clues than in the first round.

I did get clear cutting, Himmler, Chrysler Building, Air Force Academy, Hobson and flood.  Should've gotten Camaro, and I did think of it first but for some reason changed my answer to Corvette even though I know that's taken from a type of small warship.

I'm so glad Ryan pulled off that victory.  I was quite worried for him there for awhile.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, badgerwoman said:

It was a shock at work  a while back when it was clear I was the only person who knew someone who came down with it in the 50s  and did survive but all used canes/and or braces, and then dealth with issues again in their later years.  Made me feel really old.  

Yeah, I’m old enough to have a father who did have polio when he was young. Heh, though he didn’t get FJ last night. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Timeless? (the tv show)

I recognized the style but had no idea who the painter was until the answer was given, and then said “oh, of course”. Sadly, this happens to me far too often with this show.

That's it!

• Love 1