Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Jerry 2.0

• Start Topic

Kevin is always going to Kevin everything.

Loved Nicky and all his shade. Glad he’s going to look for Sally.

Thank goodness they finally got Tobey to open up. Also loved him ripping the Jerry Maguire ending a new one.

• Love 21
(edited)

Oh please.  You can get deleted numbers but Kevin needs to know Sophie is single. For Pete’s sake‘s, why are they dragging this out? I do like that Nicky is finally going to search for Sally since we only have one season left and I loved the conversation with Beth and Rebecca. I feel the rest was filler and if Kevin actually marries Madison then this was a waste of time.He is way too full of angst and they both know deep down that they rushed it. I hope the writers have thought of something better next week then a corny wedding or a wedding that gets disrupted like so many others that we have seen on TV. 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 14

Such a filler episode.

Hated the way they were gossiping about the model despite what he did to Madison.

Loved the Nicky googling Sally Brookes.

I never thought I would say it, but I want to see more about Miguel and Rebecca's romance and wedding.

• Love 12

I don’t get what both Kate and Madison saw when watching what Kevin said on the video . Did they see him daydream for a second ( of Sophie ) then come back to reality with thinking about Madison ? 

Did anyone else think Rebecca was going to lose her way and walk into the wrong house while she was on the phone with Miguel ? It seemed perfectly set up for that situation . 

I like Madison and I do think she and Kevin will end up getting married , but I would like for him to end up with Sophie . Not sure why , I just like them better together . 

• Love 9
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

Kevin is always going to Kevin everything.

Loved Nicky and all his shade. Glad he’s going to look for Sally.

Thank goodness they finally got Tobey to open up. Also loved him ripping the Jerry Maguire ending a new one.

Yeah, but Toby seeking employment in another city, when he knows Kate has a job she loves.....I’d be livid.  So, she’s supposed to quit her job to move to another city?  Absurd.  

I’m no expert in ballet, but why is Beth so obsessed it?  Doesn’t it cause a lot of foot injuries?   

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

I don’t get what both Kate and Madison saw when watching what Kevin said on the video . Did they see him daydream for a second ( of Sophie ) then come back to reality with thinking about Madison ? 

Did anyone else think Rebecca was going to lose her way and walk into the wrong house while she was on the phone with Miguel ? It seemed perfectly set up for that situation . 

I like Madison and I do think she and Kevin will end up getting married , but I would like for him to end up with Sophie . Not sure why , I just like them better together . 

The writers have always alluded that Kevin‘s path is very long so if he does marry her maybe they end up splitting up or something happens to her, I don’t know. But did anyone notice that Sophie made a big deal about changing her number and she didn’t think he would pick up  but then Sophie came up on his phone?  Was that another goof that this is us didn’t catch or was it supposed to highlight the fact that he deleted her number and won’t be able to get it back? Do they think we don’t know you can get deleted numbers ?

I guess because of Virgin River, I feel cheated. Alexandra deserves more time and money but I feel the build up has always been Sophie and Kevin. The whole begging her mom Claire for another chance at her grave was a bit much if he is "over her". Then he comes home to find out Madison is pregnant because neither used birth control and he has to fall in love with her to make it work or at least step up to the plate as a good man should. IDK, the romantic part is missing. Miguel and Rebecca are second loves and they love each other, but they had time to make that grow. Kevin and Madison didn't give themselves that.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Yes, and what with the show focusing on Miguel worrying about Rebecca, Rebecca's conversation with Beth about appreciating how Beth still treated her like a person, and the fact that Rebecca was having a good day...I, too, was convinced it was set up for Rebecca to have an episode when with Beth or not be at the right house when she was going up the walk.

The thing I kept thinking about during this entire episode was, if you were hired for a bachelorette party for stripping purposes or being naked purposes and showed up to the house to see that the bride was your ex-girlfriend, why in the world would you want to stay? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

I think Kate realized that young Kevin had similar dreams for the future  as Madison did, he just didn't have them with Madison. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 5
  • Love 17

I got the feeling that Kate was thinking of her own marriage when listening to her brother answer the questions, she kept making sad faces, she is wondering what the future holds for her & Toby, and Toby, too, seemed to be re-assessing his marriage.

• Useful 4
  • Love 16
11 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

I think it was that when they asked Kevin about a future with Madison, he paused and couldn't think of an answer, like he had never thought about the idea of a future with her. At least not beyond taking care of little kids together.

And yes, I thought Rebecca was going to go in the wrong house.

4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

The thing I kept thinking about during this entire episode was, if you were hired for a bachelorette party for stripping purposes or being naked purposes and showed up to the house to see that the bride was your ex-girlfriend, why in the world would you want to stay? 

I was thinking that too.....I guess money?

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

He probably didn't want to but needed the money. Didn't he ask about payment right at the beginning? Plus Madison said they just dated. It didn't sound like some great relationship. I think Madison should have been the one to ask him to leave with full payment OR just not make a bunch of passive aggressive jabs at him ghosting her. It seemed rude especially as he was naked and in a vulnerable position. Ghosting someone you merely dated doesn't seem as bad as being rude to service people, IMO.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Oh, no. Is Madison going to break up with Kevin? Or are they just going to drag it out another episode and give Madison a turn at cold feet?

When Kate said that they were going to paint the stripper guy, I thought she meant literally paint him. As in, apply paint to his body. So when they showed the group painting pictures of him, I thought, Oh that makes more sense! How stupid am I? It was the way Kate phrased it, "he's going to make us drinks, strip off his clothes and then we're going to paint him." I mean...

Has Randall always called Toby Tobias? Is that some special thing between them? Because otherwise it's just weird.

I hope Nicky finds Sally!

Not stupid at all, because that's exactly what I thought ! But I'm a guy, how the crap do I know what weird things women do at a Bachelorette party?? 

This episode had a bit too much tension for me-- so many people having doubts and fearing choices they have or will have made. Sure, that would describe many episodes in the series, but I thought it was higher tonight. I'm actually glad the season's about over. Which is too bad because it is well written & acted, but I need a break, I guess.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Yes, and what with the show focusing on Miguel worrying about Rebecca, Rebecca's conversation with Beth about appreciating how Beth still treated her like a person, and the fact that Rebecca was having a good day...I, too, was convinced it was set up for Rebecca to have an episode when with Beth or not be at the right house when she was going up the walk.

Well he was hired to do a job and he couldn’t just skidaddle. Plus , it didn’t  seem like they were exes . Seemed more like they went on a few dates and he wasn’t into her anymore . 

• Love 8

Ugh, another episode where the catalyst for Kevin's doubts about marrying Madison is his ex.  Doubt is not inherently a bad thing.  Why can't Kevin have them naturally.   The whole relationship between him and Madison is unusual.  The groundwork is already there,  no need for Zoey and Sophie to pop up.  Also, Sophie calling Kevin like that is suspect.   

• Love 17

It was also telling that Kevin felt the need to defend himself and said something like  , “ I’m not marrying Madison out of convenience , I’m marrying her because I’m crazy about her .” And in another scene , Madison told Kate that she loved Kevin . But we never once heard him say that he loves her . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
13 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

It was also telling that Kevin felt the need to defend himself and said something like  , “ I’m not marrying Madison out of convenience , I’m marrying her because I’m crazy about her .” And in another scene , Madison told Kate that she loved Kevin . But we never once heard him say that he loves her . 

I think Madison kind of made it clear that after they slept together, Kevin remained polite, but there was no indication he had any interest in anything further with her until she said she was pregnant.  I still don't know what they have in common or share aside from their children.  I view them very much as a "we have children together, so we should be married," type of couple.   

37 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Has Randall always called Toby Tobias? Is that some special thing between them? Because otherwise it's just weird.

I see it as a Randall way of asserting control over the situation.  When someone else is in charge, he's just Toby, but when Randall is in charge, he's Tobias.    

38 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I hope Nicky finds Sally!

I just hope someone gives Nicky a credit card to use one of those websites that logs public info about a person so he has a better chance of finding the right Sally.  With such a common name (presuming she even still goes by that name) he'll have a very hard time finding her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, but Toby seeking employment in another city, when he knows Kate has a job she loves.....I’d be livid.  So, she’s supposed to quit her job to move to another city?  Absurd

Or Tobey can just commute, if he even got the job. It’s hours away I know but I have coworkers who live pretty far away. Or maybe I’m reaching.

• Love 4

I like Madison and Kevin. I think they could build a relationship like Miguel and Rebecca. But Kevin is just not into it and that's not fair to Madison. I'm just so over Sophie.

Yes, Nicky! Look for Sally.

I was never into Miguel and Rebecca but now I would love more of their story. At least it's something different.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:
Or Tobey can just commute, if he even got the job. It’s hours away I know but I have coworkers who live pretty far away. Or maybe I’m reaching.

Isn't it over 4 hours to drive from LA to San Francisco?

Now I do know couples who have lived far away and only actually saw each other on weekends.  If they really want to make it work they could, especially if he worked at home part time.

But if Toby really can only get a job in San Francisco, and it is a good job/salary it wouldn't be unreasonable for the family to move there. Kate's part time job is not enough to support them and two babies are expensive.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
59 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, but Toby seeking employment in another city, when he knows Kate has a job she loves.....I’d be livid.  So, she’s supposed to quit her job to move to another city?  Absurd.  

When he said that line I said "maybe you wanna run that by your wife first?"

I'll admit, I laughed at them talking about how the model ghosted Madison and him just standing there. And Miguel's comment about how Rebecca was fine, just painting a naked guy with the other wives, and the way Kevin stared at him like, "what?"

1 hour ago, debraran said:

But did anyone notice that Sophie made a big deal about changing her number and she didn’t think he would pick up  but then Sophie came up on his phone?  Was that another goof that this is us didn’t catch or was it supposed to highlight the fact that he deleted her number and won’t be able to get it back? Do they think we don’t know you can get deleted numbers ?

I assumed he saved her number after she called, and then decided to delete it. Though we didn't actually see him confirm the deletion, did we?

51 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

He probably didn't want to but needed the money. Didn't he ask about payment right at the beginning? Plus Madison said they just dated. It didn't sound like some great relationship. I think Madison should have been the one to ask him to leave with full payment OR just not make a bunch of passive aggressive jabs at him ghosting her. It seemed rude especially as he was naked and in a vulnerable position. Ghosting someone you merely dated doesn't seem as bad as being rude to service people, IMO.

I thought it was a odd that they were halfway through their paintings before Kate asked Madison if it was weird and if she wanted him to leave.

49 minutes ago, willco said:

I'm actually glad the season's about over. Which is too bad because it is well written & acted, but I need a break, I guess.

I always get to that point with all my shows at about this point. I am there with several.

6 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Isn't it over 4 hours to drive from LA to San Francisco?

More like 6, according to google maps.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

About the same as Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, but these folks make that trip like they’re running out to the corner store for milk.

True. In Pearson time it's probably an hour-ish on a train like when I used go to NYC for work. (Plus a half hour drive to get to the train...most people in my town would take the bus but motion sickness is much less likely on a train for me.) 

• Love 5

And,of course, a similar house to the one they have in Los Angeles would cost almost twice as much in the Bay Area. But no big deal because everything magically works out in the Pearson universe. 🙄

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m no expert in ballet, but why is Beth so obsessed it?  Doesn’t it cause a lot of foot injuries?   

I danced for about 20 years, half in ballet. The dancers will have a hard time with their feet, but the instructors don't. Going en pointe is the hardest on your feet (that's balancing on the tips of your toes in specially made shoes) and instructors are in ballet shoes (flat, walkable, no toe structure). She's probably "obsessed" with it because it used to be her identity.

Beth teaching ballet will not affect her feet. She will be correcting the students footwork, not once getting back en pointe herself.

She also won't only be teaching ballet. If you recall her "salsa" performance at the grand opening of her studio pre-covid. Susan Kelechi Watson is a minimally trained dancer, so her character absolutely won't be doing anything difficult. Rachel, who plays young Beth, is a higher level dancer. But that's because in the story she has to be, and Susan doesn't.
Susan: https://www.instagram.com/p/COya4joJMwl/?utm_medium=copy_link

Rachel: https://www.instagram.com/p/COx2RDSjyFM/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Useful 9
  • Love 7

And,of course, a similar house to the one they have in Los Angeles would cost almost twice as much in the Bay Area. But no big deal because everything magically works out in the Pearson universe

I think Toby alluded to that when he dismissed living in San Francisco with two kids. Maybe he'll rent a room and commute? I wonder if he plans on doing it for a while and then trying to transfer. On the phone, he says "San Francisco office" so that makes it sound like there is more than one office. In tech, one of the things he has to worry about is being seen as stale. If he doesn't work for two years, he may find it very hard to get back into tech because companies will think he's not current. So, it might be worth it to take a less than optimal position until a better one comes up.

What Miguel said about relationships was beautiful. I hope that Kevin takes heed. That said, I think Kevin and Madison are kind of "written in the stars" since they both dream of the same future. 

It was wonderful seeing such a strong bond between Rebecca and Beth. Beth's Mom is never really shown supporting her or appreciating her. Beth's Mom has some weird kind of competition going on with her about who is the better person/Mom/cook - except Beth isn't playing and the deck is stacked against her. That "don't put in any more peppers" "oh, this needs more peppers" thing was next level. Speaking of Beth's Mom - where is she? She made a big fuss about staying and then was never shown again.  I bet Annie locked her in the basement. Annie secretly gets things done. 

I'm kind of surprised that Nicky would be up for a fishing trip...maybe that is what first put him on edge. Kevin probably doesn't know the story. I hope Nicky finds Sally.

• LOL 11
  • Love 11

That was lame. I didn't need an entire episode of pre-wedding jitters. You'd think with an abbreviated season, they would have been motivated to move things along. I did love what Miguel said about couples writing their own story though.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm starting to get tired of Uncle Nicky's constant grumpiness and rudeness under the guise of honesty (he did that to Miguel a few episodes ago as well). I hope if/when he finds Sally he'll mellow a bit.

Toby's San Francisco job storyline would have worked pre-pandemic, but now most tech companies are letting people work from home permanently and tech workers are leaving the overpriced SF Bay area in droves. It's advantageous for companies as well because they can adjust salaries based on location and have a much larger talent pool to choose from.

4 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Has Randall always called Toby Tobias?

Yes, he has.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Tobey can just commute, if he even got the job. It’s hours away I know but I have coworkers who live pretty far away. Or maybe I’m reaching.

When I married someone who lived 4 hours away, and I did not want to move there, he worked 4 days a week up there, came home, and worked at home one day, for a couple of years. That was 22 years ago and we are still married.

• Love 17

Kevin and Madison just don’t work for me. It’s mainly because imo they have no chemistry like at all. I want Madison to go away forever but I doubt that’s going to happen.

Im sure Nicky will find his long lost love. Total Pearson thing to happen.

I really liked Beth and Rebeccas scenes. I totally thought Rebecca was going to either forget what she talked about with Beth or go to the wrong house.

Can’t believe it after how I felt at the beginning but I’m really liking Miguel.

Not to be rude but why wouldn’t they move if Toby got a job elsewhere. Kate has some part time job that she just started. She could try to find something similar elsewhere. Would be dumb to stick around cause something Jate has decided all of a sudden is her dream.

I bet Sophie changed her number because something abusive happened with her ex.

• Love 3

He probably didn't want to but needed the money. Didn't he ask about payment right at the beginning? Plus Madison said they just dated. It didn't sound like some great relationship. I think Madison should have been the one to ask him to leave with full payment OR just not make a bunch of passive aggressive jabs at him ghosting her. It seemed rude especially as he was naked and in a vulnerable position. Ghosting someone you merely dated doesn't seem as bad as being rude to service people, IMO.

I think part of the issue was nothing was clear with the ex.  Was he a stripper or was he a model who posed for art classes?  Someone who normally poses for art classes at an art school might view it as unprofessional to leave.  I've read that this is quite difficult work because you need to try to stand as still as possible for a long period of time, and many people never return after their first job as an artist's model because it is quite difficult to pose physically.  Or he could be an actual stripper who just does this so women can paint and its a little less tacky than having a young man dance.  That actually makes a lot of sense if you have an older group of women with a bachelorette party (skipping the stripper/artist completely makes even more sense, but what can you do).  If he's a stripper working with an agency, he might be worried about getting fired if he walks away from a job.

Also, did he ghost her after a couple of dates before things got physical?  That's completely different than ghosting a woman right after you sleep with her, especially if you led her to believe you want a serious relationship with her and then immediately disappear right after sleeping with her.  I was left with no idea if he was a jerk for ghosting her (I never resented a guy for ghosting me if that happened before things got physical but once a relationship started a guy is a real jerk for disappearing without explanation).

• Love 10

If Kevin does not go through with the wedding I will be annoyed.  Not that I think they will last, but if he thinks he can try again with Sophie he's delusional.  They tried, twice, and couldn't make it work.  She'd be a fool to give him another shot.  Run, Sophie!  (I do think he and Madison will get married so they can have all kinds of problems and speechifying next season.)

8 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

Did anyone else think Rebecca was going to lose her way and walk into the wrong house while she was on the phone with Miguel ?

Yes.

5 hours ago, kili said:

If he doesn't work for two years, he may find it very hard to get back into tech because companies will think he's not current. So, it might be worth it to take a less than optimal position until a better one comes up.

Foot in the door.  Even if the situation isn't ideal it's easier to find a job if you have a job.  (My advice to my kids. 😊)

• Love 11

Okay, writers this stringing along who Kevin's love story is going to be has become really tiresome now. Just pick already. After this episode I sure don't hope it's Madison. Team Sophie all the way but it has to happen in a good way which I feel like there is barely time for. 

I freaking love Beth more and more for every episode. Her and Rebecca's relationship is ADORABLE!! 

Seems like Toby and Kate are heading for troubles. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Broken record here, but Madison creeps me out. She's estranged from her family. Her father pre-emptively has an emergency business thing days/weeks before her wedding?* Not one of her 'friends' can make it out to her wedding shower? She mentioned Kevin being 'polite' about responding to her texts post-one-night-stand, but it didn't seem to me that there was any contact between them afterwards until she turned up pregnant. (Could be wrong about that but that's how I recall it.) Naked Model Guy ghosted her and didn't seem all that eager to defend himself. All that and her mood swings over Kevin and his career, etc., just seem like giant waving red flags to me.

*and has Kevin even met or talked to the man yet?

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Kate has a job she loves- as a teaching assistant, which pays around $30,000 a year for a full time position, she is part-time.  That is not anywhere close to enough to support a family of 4.  With her employment history, she isn't going to be able to find anything that pays a living wage right now.  Toby has to get a job, he has to work or they cannot survive.  If the only job opportunity he has is in San Francisco, then he needs to look into it.  His earning power is clearly far greater than hers.  No matter how much Kate loves her job, the family has to come first.  She doesn't even make enough to pay for decent childcare at this point.  Toby as caregiver for their kids is a nonstarter.  They cannot afford for him to not work and he is emotionally not cut out to be a SAHD.

I do agree that Toby should tell Kate what is going on, lay his cards on the table.  He hasn't been able to find a job in his field in SoCal, but there are lots of opportunities in Silicon Valley.  Then, they need to mutually decide how they want to proceed.  However, if Kate demands that they remain in LA so she can continue to work at a job that doesn't pay enough to support them; she is even more selfish than I think.  There are teaching assistant jobs in every town, she can find another job far easier than he can.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 24
1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

Kate has a job she loves- as a teaching assistant, which pays around $30,000 a year.  That is not anywhere close to enough to support a family of 4.  With her employment history, she isn't going to be able to find anything that pays a living wage right now.  Toby has to get a job, he has to work or they cannot survive.  If the only job opportunity he has is in San Francisco, then he needs to look into it.  His earning power is clearly far greater than hers.  No matter how much Kate loves her job, the family has to come first.  She doesn't even make enough to pay for decent childcare at this point.  Toby as caregiver for their kids is a nonstarter.  They cannot afford for him to not work and he is emotionally not cut out to be a SAHD.

I do agree that Toby should tell Kate what is going on, lay his cards on the table.  He hasn't been able to find a job in his field in SoCal, but there are lots of opportunities in Silicon Valley.  Then, they need to mutually decide how they want to proceed.  However, if Kate demands that they remain in LA so she can continue to work at a job that doesn't pay enough to support them; she is even more selfish than I think.  There are teaching assistant jobs in every town, she can find another job far easier than he can.

Totally agree - but there's a reason we had the whole story last week about how Kate is the best choir director evah and only she can get these kids to sing like the angels they are, and mom is so proud that poor Katy Bug is at last fulfilled and doing what she was meant to do. #sarcasm

I like Kate and I love Kate & Toby, but my least favourite TV trope is the huge, life-altering drama that could 100% be avoided by a simple conversation in which both people are honest. I'm convinced now that future-Kate is dead and the 'she' that wouldn't want him there is Rebecca, who blames him for breaking up the marriage.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Marley said:

Not to be rude but why wouldn’t they move if Toby got a job elsewhere. Kate has some part time job that she just started. She could try to find something similar elsewhere. Would be dumb to stick around cause something Jate has decided all of a sudden is her dream.

I don't have a problem with them potentially moving for his job (and like Rootbeer said above, they can't afford for him not to work, and not just because of the money), but the fact that he's talking to a recruiter about a job that far away without even mentioning it to Kate is going to be an issue. (So is her taking a job and telling him after the fact but at least she's not asking him to completely uproot their lives.) And you know she'll have a problem with moving that far away from her mom, now that she's close by (Pearson-faster-than-light travel notwithstanding). Though with the way the pandemic has changed the work world, maybe he'll find something that will let him work fully remote and he'll just have to go up to SF once in a while.

It seems like a lot of people have strong feelings about Sophie, and I just don't get it. (Some of it seems to be that they are fans of the actress, who I am not otherwise familiar with, so there's that.) They were childhood sweethearts who got married too young, tried again later and didn't work...I'm not seeing the grand Pearson love story there, despite his Jerry Maguire "mission statement" at 18 or however old they were.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I was at a bachlorette party where the stripper was a former high school student of one of the other guests. When he recognized her, he tuned bright red and then said he couldn't do the job and left. We all agreed that that was the right thing to do.

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It seems like a lot of people have strong feelings about Sophie, and I just don't get it. (Some of it seems to be that they are fans of the actress, who I am not otherwise familiar with, so there's that.) They were childhood sweethearts who got married too young, tried again later and didn't work...I'm not seeing the grand Pearson love story there, despite his Jerry Maguire "mission statement" at 18 or however old they were.

I do like the actress although I can’t remember why or what I’ve seen her in. I think if they wanted Sophie to be his grand love story they dropped the ball a bit. They should have included her more in the flashbacks. Had her interact with Kate and Randall in the past as well and made US really like her so we’d always be wishing those two kids could have worked it out or so we’d miss Sophie. So we’d be excited when she pops up in present day. I think they maybe thought they were trying to do that but she’s often just randomly there in the past and doesn’t have much of anything to say.  Not that I’m feeling the Madison story either. It had potential but we didn’t really get to see them falling in love either and it feels super rushed. I’m still shocked to this day that Kevin is now my favorite Pearson kid though. Never saw that coming.

• Love 9

I don't remember Jerry McGuire enough to get all the subtext

Where and how is Madison getting these hot guys?  

I'm pretty sure that Sophie's number is still in the call log - even if he deleted the contact.  He can save it again.

I feel a good old fashion cliff hanger next week on if Madison shows up to the wedding.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Sometimes people have to commute for jobs. Sometimes people have to move for their ideal job. It happens. Not saying Kate won't be mad but I don't think it's a deliberate F you or anything. 

I fail to see why the second part matters. Most jobs for performers and athletes lead to numerous injuries. It's what they love. The negatives won't stop that love if they truly do love it as Beth does.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think Madison kind of made it clear that after they slept together, Kevin remained polite, but there was no indication he had any interest in anything further with her until she said she was pregnant. 

I think he was annoyed when she reached out to him to tell him she was pregnant - he was like "Look, I thought we already decided this was a one-time thing, what do you want?" And IIRC he kind of regretted sleeping with her afterward.

56 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Kate has a job she loves- as a teaching assistant, which pays around $30,000 a year for a full time position, she is part-time.  That is not anywhere close to enough to support a family of 4.  With her employment history, she isn't going to be able to find anything that pays a living wage right now.  Toby has to get a job, he has to work or they cannot survive.  If the only job opportunity he has is in San Francisco, then he needs to look into it.  His earning power is clearly far greater than hers.  No matter how much Kate loves her job, the family has to come first.  She doesn't even make enough to pay for decent childcare at this point.  Toby as caregiver for their kids is a nonstarter.  They cannot afford for him to not work and he is emotionally not cut out to be a SAHD.

I've been wondering what they're living on now because half-time with no benefits plus unemployment payments would have a family of 4 anywhere, let alone LA, running a deficit. I assume they're draining their savings. Their situation as-is was never sustainable - Kate's not supporting their family, and as you say, with her work history, she can't. Toby needs to go back to work, both for the financial aspect and because he doesn't want to be a SAHD (it's not for everyone - I have a friend who was a SAHM for a year and a half, not by choice, and she loathed it).The more senior you are, the harder it is to find work because there are fewer vacancies. Kate can be a teaching assistant anywhere; there aren't as many jobs available at Toby's level. He needs to seriously consider this - talk to her about it, of course, but seriously consider it.

2 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I fail to see why the second part matters. Most jobs for performers and athletes lead to numerous injuries. It's what they love. The negatives won't stop that love if they truly do love it as Beth does.

Right. Beth is obsessed with ballet because ... she is. She danced much of her life and loved it. That's all the explanation needed, IMO.

• Love 11