Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E15: Gettin' Lucky

• Start Topic

I saw it coming;

On 4/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, Adeejay said:

The wrong queen went home. They decided a long time ago that Kandy would make it to the end.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a final four instead of final three.  

I knew they were going to make sure that Kandy made it to the finale.  Bitch better not win.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

They want people to talk about Kandy. 

Rose's verse is probably my favorite vocal on any of these tracks, and I can't wait to see what she does after the show. I liked Gottmik too, and I think Symone has undeniable star quality. So, overall I liked the track. 

We're almost finished! 

• Love 9

After that talk with Michelle and Ru, I was pretty certain Rosé has a snowball's chance in hell of winning this season; ditto Symone. So I am glad that they at least both got to stay for the finale.

It seems inconceivable Kandy could win, so that probably means Gottmik is most likely to take the crown. Oh... Really? That was a seriously underwhelming lip sync from Mik, so I can see why they opted for a snippet format and kept her from all prior bottom two placements.

At least the rest of the cast are back, I hope, next week. And then this sorry thing will be over.

• Love 10

I love Rosé, but although I can see that she’s corseted, she still often looks shapeless in her runway looks.  That, coupled with a very strong jawline and a definite 5 o’clock shadow tends to hurt her a bit.  But that is one gorgeous man out of drag!  Holy hell.

Love Symone and her runways have been really outstanding.  When she’s good, she’s magnificent.  But she’s inconsistent, to me.

I love a lot about Gottmik, but I really am tired of the Paris Hilton whiny voice.  I absolutely am all in for her being a trailblazing queen, and I honestly think she and Symone have been neck-and-neck on the runway.

And then we have Kandy, which...I still just don’t understand.  She’s not going to win.  I keep saying that, hoping to put it out in the universe for Ru to sense.  She’s grown on me, but she is just nowhere near the level of the other queens, she’s just not.

• Love 7

Y'all I can't even bother to watch anymore. I just come here to read your comments and I wait for Trixie's recap. Kandy's just ruined the show for me this season. It's not even fun to watch. I'll watch the finale. I think. I'm in the "please Gob anyone but Kandy" camp at this point. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, heckkitty said:

What the hell is Kandi wearing and how the hell did they praise it? I'm so confused.

steal the look:

1015296957_ScreenShot2021-04-10at08_51_11.png.dc26e4619e3f82b9c764009a1ab5c9be.png

Wow, they are really willing to go to the greatest lengths to keep Kandy in. They just CAN'T eliminate her. I would wonder what that does to her self-esteem, but I don't think she realizes. 

Anyway, as much as I love Rosé, I agree that her runway look wasn't very flattering. I like the idea but the dress was a bit wonky and it made her and her neck look very short.

At this point I really, really hope Symone wins. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

I didn't understand that waist-thickening fugly tan belt Rosé wore. I was stunned to see the slimness of her waist in the werkroom later. Her outfit proportions are often a bit off, the necklines in particular, and this was no exception. But she's just so warm and lovable and enthused by it all, that none of that matters. I missed the opportunity to see her in the background bobbing up and down along to the lip sync this week.

• Love 7

This show seriously needs to dedicate a season to messy, underbaked queens and just get it out of its system. Hell, they could make it an entire spinoff—Drag Academy, perhaps—and I'd probably watch it, in hopes that the Kandies and Silkies of the world would flunk. And undoubtedly be "held back" for another go-around.

Team Season 14, I guess.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

I have softened a bit toward Kandy the last couple weeks, as she has softened her attitude (or editing would have me believe), so I’m not angry that they made it a top 4. But no way, no how does she deserve to win. If that happens, or even if she places higher than fourth, then I will be pissed.

I love Symone’s mom.  I’m too old for her to adopt me, so I will settle for being besties.

4 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I love Rosé, but although I can see that she’s corseted, she still often looks shapeless in her runway looks.  That, coupled with a very strong jawline and a definite 5 o’clock shadow tends to hurt her a bit.  But that is one gorgeous man out of drag!  Holy hell.

Agreed, but I think Rosé is as gorgeous in drag as out of it. I don’t know which version I’m crushing on more, honestly. I’m so confused.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Agreed, but I think Rosé is as gorgeous in drag as out of it. I don’t know which version I’m crushing on more, honestly. I’m so confused.

Between Rosé and Danali I have thrown up my hands over my sexuality confusion and just enjoyed the view!  Both are just stunning individuals inside and out! And I love that they seem to have a really great friendship. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Kroliosis
  • Love 6

Oh, what in the world??  That was a fucking waste of time.  When nobody got a negative critique, it was obvious where this was headed.

I hate to be cynical but Ru's crying seemed fakety fake. 

Love Rose, but I thought that dress swallowed her up.  Also... she's only been doing drag for three years?!  Why do they always make her sound like some NYC institution?  

Gottmik and Symone's looks were great.  

Kandy was...Kandy.    

I do like that they seem to have genuinely developed friendships with each other.  It was cute when Gottmik kind of leapt into Rose's arms.

Overall: yawn.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Agreed, but I think Rosé is as gorgeous in drag as out of it. I don’t know which version I’m crushing on more, honestly. I’m so confused

There are many times I find Rosé absolutely stunning in drag, but every now and then, she...like most of us...gets a bad angle that makes me think, “Well, maybe not.”  I don’t know why, either.

That said, no confusion for this old bi woman.  If Rosé played for either of my teams, I could happily fantasize.  Alas, she does not.

• Love 4

Has Symone been doing drag long? Or are all of our finale queens relatively new to drag? 

Not surprised by the outcome this week, but an elimination wouldn't be a bad thing, assuming they eliminated Kandy. 

I usually fizzle out by the finale anyway, since I often will lose interest and usually the finale challenges aren't that interesting to me... so I'm sure I'll try to watch, but with the reunion eps, that I skip since I hate that drama, I sometimes forget about it...

I've been saying all season that Rose is making me question my sexuality, so thank you for making me feel less alone.

I will say, one thing that'll be interesting about the finale to this meh season is that there's no clear frontrunner here.  Symone may have a slight edge, but Rose is nipping at her heels, and I also wouldn't be too shocked by a Gottmik win.

And Kandy is...also there. 

• LOL 3

Kandy and Rose will not win. GM will be in second due to a “meh” lip sync. Symone, the chosen winner from episode one, will win.

I have spoken....LOL

And if you haven’t seen Rose’s selfie of herself in Scottish gear as a boy, run to her Instagram now.

• Love 8

I think Gottmik will win. I think Ru sees her as his way out of his trouble with the Trans community. Symone should win, obviously, but Ru’s crying over Gottmik’s parents (didn’t they show up in an untucked video and everything was great? I’m confused) sealed the deal for me. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, heckkitty said:

I think Gottmik will win. I think Ru sees her as his way out of his trouble with the Trans community. Symone should win, obviously, but Ru’s crying over Gottmik’s parents (didn’t they show up in an untucked video and everything was great? I’m confused) sealed the deal for me. 

They showed up in a video, being supportive on camera, but that doesn't necessarily translate to being actually supportive. One thing Gottmik said in reaction to the video was that they were using her chosen boy name, which led me to believe it's not something they usually do. Again, I could be projecting my own experience here, I know if I was on drag race and my parents sent me a video and were suddenly really cool about everything they aren't normally cool about and calling me their "son" and not their "daughter," I would be suspicious and would assume it was being done to make them look better and to make me look ungrateful (or a liar) if I had already said anything about their lack of support.

I hate that if Gottmik wins, there will always be an asterisk by that win for some people. It would be nice if a person were able to be only incidentally trans while still able to be an advocate or role model for other trans people but that's probably a french vanilla fantasy.

I also hated this track of Ru's. It sounded like he hired the cheapest person on fiverr to make a song based on the kidz bop version of the shrek soundtrack, set in that crossover episode of johnny bravo featuring the gang from scooby doo, but make it drag. Or don't.

I need to watch the episode again but I was really bored and not paying attention to anything.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, heckkitty said:

I agree with you 100%.

Ru and Ru’s brand will be perceived by some as now being trans-inclusive and mending fences if Gottmik is never read by anyone for looking basically the same, every episode.  Same color scheme/same geisha-inspired face, same facial expressions...except the Paris Hilton impersonation.  No commentary on growth regarding drag, just confidence in being trans.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, kicotan said:

I agree with you 100%.

Ru and Ru’s brand will be perceived by some as now being trans-inclusive and mending fences if Gottmik is never read by anyone for looking basically the same, every episode.  Same color scheme/same geisha-inspired face, same facial expressions...except the Paris Hilton impersonation.  No commentary on growth regarding drag, just confidence in being trans.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  

I think Gottmik goes beyond Geisha almost to Kabuki makeup to the point where it is approaching cultural appropriation.   G is a very talented make up artist, however, their short time in drag is reflected in their lack of versatility.   Hope they will continue to grow, but I don’t think they are ready for a win... but I agree that winning is all part of Ru’s plan from the beginning.   Kandy’s success, oth, I have no explanation for.... unless they are final 2 in which case everyone will be glad to see Gottmik win.  

• Love 3

Booo!  The fifth episode with no elimination.  Sixth if you count the COVID special.

The way things are going Ru won’t eliminate anybody in the finale either and we’ll end up with four winners. 🙂

• LOL 6

If people put an asterisk by Gottmik's win, that's pretty short-sighted because Gottmik really has proven to be an all-around performer. Someone compared her to Trinity Taylor in season 9 when she discovered she could be so much more than just a fierce pageant queen. Gottmik has had pretty much the best looks all season (except maybe Symone), won the Snatch Game and the Reading challenge, and has thrown herself into every challenge. And she's never been in the bottom. That is strong winner material and shouldn't be asterisked for one second. It's up there with Alaska on season 5, for instance (better makeup too).

That said, Symone feels like such the perfect winner that I will feel genuinely shocked if she doesn't win.

I did expect a final four going ahead, so no surprises there. That said, this was the best wig Kandy has worn all season, and her look is very appropriate to her former house style. She achieved a personal best this episode.

I love Rose, I think the crown should be between her and Symone, but that dress really did obscure her silhouette again. Rose, you're so beautiful! Don't bury yourself in huge, shapeless gowns all the time! I love the concept of your dress, it just needed more tailoring.

Anyway, team Ebony Enchantress. She is the moment, and I am living for her and her gracious reign.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, belligerent said:

They showed up in a video, being supportive on camera, but that doesn't necessarily translate to being actually supportive. One thing Gottmik said in reaction to the video was that they were using her chosen boy name, which led me to believe it's not something they usually do. Again, I could be projecting my own experience here, I know if I was on drag race and my parents sent me a video and were suddenly really cool about everything they aren't normally cool about and calling me their "son" and not their "daughter," I would be suspicious and would assume it was being done to make them look better and to make me look ungrateful (or a liar) if I had already said anything about their lack of support.

I hate that if Gottmik wins, there will always be an asterisk by that win for some people. It would be nice if a person were able to be only incidentally trans while still able to be an advocate or role model for other trans people but that's probably a french vanilla fantasy.

I also hated this track of Ru's. It sounded like he hired the cheapest person on fiverr to make a song based on the kidz bop version of the shrek soundtrack, set in that crossover episode of johnny bravo featuring the gang from scooby doo, but make it drag. Or don't.

I need to watch the episode again but I was really bored and not paying attention to anything.

Good point, I forgot he'd said that about his parents not using his chosen name. I'm not going to be overly mad if Gottmik wins; I think he's a deserving winner, I just prefer Symone and Rose.  Now if Kandy wins...

• Love 2

This new song "Lucky" is the laziest POS I ever heard.  

The dance numbers always confuse me because I squint to see Jamal's choreo and almost never do.   Frankly, for how good a dancer she is, I barely noticed Rose in that number.  It was charitable for Ru to allow Rose into the grand finale, because she has no chance of winning.  The judges' comments about her (professional, on-time, prepared) = good employee, not superstar/future of drag.  It is gonna have to be Gottmik or Symone.

Edited by Just Carol

Oh good, Kandy is still there. Not. You know one day I'd love it if we'd find out what compromising photos Kandy has on the judging panel because there is NO WAY that anyone would vote for her unless they were terrified of some dark secret being exposed. What a cop out to not eliminate her. I don't know who the producers think Kandy appeals to, but they are a very tiny minority that love bad clothing and even worse attitudes. 

I love Rose but this episode (and frankly the season) made it clear that they're not going to give her the win. They can't deny her talent -- she's the full package -- but being a pro isn't a narrative arc that the producers want to pursue. It should be Rose and Symone in the end, but I feel like they're setting her up to win bronze.

Symone is awesome, and if she wins then I'm happy. I'm a bit worried based off this episode that they're going to give it to Gottmik (love her runway looks) but we'll see.

This has been the longest, most dragged out (yes, pun intended) season yet. I'm ready for it to be over already! I think it's a bummer how obvious the producer manipulation has been this season, and how wildly off base it is. 

• Love 13

On the one hand, I am grateful they got content made during Covid, and that these queens pulled their looks together in difficult times when stores were closed, and when they themselves were going through lockdowns, suffering financial hits, closed venues, loved ones working in the frontline of the pandemic, or ill with the virus. The masks, the tests, the extra confinement during the ungodly length of this season... The extra effort through all of this to keep their nerve and verve... I praise them all.

But I don't watch Drag Race to see Ru do a redemption arc on his trans commentary.

• Love 15

Ru and Michelle were really blah during their meeting with Rosé and laughed uproariously during the others. Apparently being a professional is a negative now. Gottmik has great fashion and is learning comedy but is not a comedy or acting queen yet. Symone is lovely but I sometimes forget about her. I am warmed up a little to Kandy but she doesn’t belong in the finale. And I hated the Lucky song but liked the queens verses.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

The choreographer specifically told Kandy "precise movements", but did we get that? Nope. And I can't tell if Kandy isn't really trying, or if Kandy isn't confident in her dancing ability so it comes out weak. Either way it looks bad. Commit to the bit, Kandy. And that pretty much sums up my feelings every time I watch Kandy. 

I also don't understand why Ru seems so parental about Kandy. The whole judging and the chat was like Kandy was some super fragile kid and Ru just needed to boost her up and take care of her. And, I mean, if so, ok? But nothing they showed me on the show makes that make any sense. If anyone, I would've thought Symone might need/deserve that. It's like they want me to care about Kandy because Ru cares about Kandy, but that's not enough to convince me.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Just Carol said:

It was charitable for Ru to allow Rose into the grand finale, because she has no chance of winning.  The judges' comments about her (professional, on-time, prepared) = good employee, not superstar/future of drag.  It is gonna have to be Gottmik or Symone.

Yes, I’ve felt for some time now that the judges respect Rosé, but are kind of bored by her. Not messy enough, I guess. I think Gottmik has it locked, seeing how they were falling all over her this episode. But I hope it’s Symone— she has earned it, and in terms of validation, I think it would mean the most to her. 

Rosé will take Miss Congeniality.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lucky

Top 4 LSFYL

The Pit Stop: Trixie Mattel & Jinkx Monsoon

I loved seeing and hearing from Jinkx again.  She was one of my all time faves on Drag Race!  And it was great to hear that both queens liked the music video Lucky.  I thought it was fun and catchy, but noticed it was not appreciated here on this board.  Different strokes...

• Love 5
On 4/9/2021 at 10:36 PM, heckkitty said:

What the hell is Kandi wearing and how the hell did they praise it? I'm so confused.

She is dressed as a stewardess in a 1957 movie set in the far future of the year 2000.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, belligerent said:

This was the most perfect description of that song. Thank you very much.  I think the songs I found the most catch were Sissy That Walk and Bring Back My Girls (was that even one of them? Haha)

21 hours ago, Just Carol said:

It was charitable for Ru to allow Rose into the grand finale, because she has no chance of winning.  The judges' comments about her (professional, on-time, prepared) = good employee, not superstar/future of drag.  It is gonna have to be Gottmik or Symone.

Totally agree. It’s a shame because I love Rose and not just for the hotness factor (which is considerable). Drag Race likes to pluck some little queen out of obscurity and say, see what we found and did! 

On 4/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, stormy weather said:

steal the look:

1015296957_ScreenShot2021-04-10at08_51_11.png.dc26e4619e3f82b9c764009a1ab5c9be.png

Haha I have two of these for my 19 month old - one for outside and one for inside and I immediately thought of those when I saw Kandy’s outfit. 

• Love 1

I thought that Rose's neanderthal brow (her description, not mine) was particularly pronounced in her runway this week.   I know she's talked about having such a pronounced brow, I wonder if she could use it to her advantage as she is a rapping comedy queen.

My finishing order:  Symone, Rose, Gottmik, Kandy.  

I think Symone and Rose will lip synch for the title.  At least I hope so.  

Edited by PDXlulu
  • Love 1
On 4/10/2021 at 5:28 PM, Just Carol said:

The judges' comments about her (professional, on-time, prepared) = good employee, not superstar/future of drag.

Agreed;  Rosé started out the complete package, so less growth than the others. Plus, her family was always supportive, so no sad story for Ru to sob (or pretend to sob) over. Rosé has no chance of winning and will probably be eliminated before Kandi despite being so much better, which oddly seems to be a disadvantage. 

I think Symone should probably win. Gottmilk would also be ok.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

How cute are Symone's mother & Rose's brother! And I always love Jamal as choreo/guest judge! 

And with that I end my commentary on this lackluster episode. 

Bring on the reunion so we see some beloved sashay'ed queens & can hear Kandy's constant interruptions & changing any & all topics back to her. 

• Love 3
On 4/10/2021 at 4:21 PM, ZeeEnnui said:

I love Rose but this episode (and frankly the season) made it clear that they're not going to give her the win. They can't deny her talent -- she's the full package -- but being a pro isn't a narrative arc that the producers want to pursue.

All I can think of when I see this is when in either the last show or the show before that Michelle started saying how Rose reminded her of Bianca and Ru cut her off before she could even finish her name. I wonder what that was all about? I found that extremely strange since Bianca has to be one of the most successful queens that was ever in the show. 

• Love 2