Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: Defending Your Wife

• Start Topic

I’m so over the stupid Chris crap.  Oh he apologized.  He’s a man of god.  All hail Saint Chris. Poor baby.  Ugh. 
I realize I am behind as I am just watching it now.  How do these people not see through him? 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Love 11

I don't think Chris is astute enough to purposely be a dirtball so she'll leave.  He seems to think that as his wife, she should be interested in all of his musings, and supportive throughout.  When she acts like she's leaving he turns on the charm, she falls for it, and he grins smugly.  And he's such an ass - "You don't want me to go off!"  People who actually do "go off" don't give a warning.  I had crybaby middle school students try that phrase on me once in a while - that's who Chris reminds me of every week 😄  I agree that they are ruining this season.

I think Erik is just having fun with his new wife on their honeymoon - he's already tired of the partying.  And if Virginia is willing to throw away what seems like a good husband so that she can be out and drunk Thursday - Saturday, then she certainly hasn't "tried everything" to find love, and doesn't really want to be married.  If they are incompatible in other ways I could understand, but choosing the bar over the husband I can't.

I don't know what Haley's deal is - the timing makes it seem like the sex turned her off, but when she was telling about it she seemed kind of giggly and happy.  I don't think he's going to get over being ditched and lied to, and good for him on that.

I didn't like Clara at the beginning but she grows on me every week.  Ryan had better be nice to her!

• Love 22

Haley seems cold, she wants to do what she wants.  Why would she sign up for this show?   I feel bad for Jake.  He’s trying.  
Clara is speaking what we all feel. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Love 17

Paige is showing signs of not trusting her gut and wanting to believe Chris's BS.  I hope the other women help her come to her senses because he's all out for himself and trying to reel her in just so he has "options".  I can see that from a mile away.  She'd better stop thinking that "God" is intending this and that Chris is "her person".  Geez, God wouldn't send anyone a douchebag like that and expect them to accept all his abuse.  I don't understand these people that keep thinking everything that happens to them is intended by God even if it contradicts their common sense and crushes them.  In my faith, that's now how God works.  That attitude is so immature, I'm sorry but it is.  It's nothing but superstition.

• Love 11

I might never have predicted that of anyone so far Clara is earning my respect.  And Ryan is turning out to be the sleeper best guy of the season.  Who would have figured that after her rant about her dress hemline she'd turn out to be so level headed?  Ryan is the kind of "rock of Gibraltar" that Clara needs.  And me too.  His personality so far seems the most like my husband's.

Vincent is a decent guy too but a little bit of a bonehead.  He can be forgiven for that, though because it looks like his heart's in the right place.  After the wedding I told Mr. Yeah No that he reminded me of every car salesman I ever met in the Bronx back in the day (and I met a lot of them because hubbie was a service writer at dealerships).  Turns out Vincent started out in the Bronx.  Can I spot people from my hometown or what?  LOL

Haley seems embarrassed about her lack of interest in Jake and doesn't know how to handle it so she's doing stupid things like lying to him to get away from him.  I feel that she wishes she could warm up to him but can't and doesn't want to admit why.  She doesn't want to think she's yet again not giving a nice guy enough of a chance.  But then again Jake is a very special combination of things that not a lot of people would click with.  He's a nice enough guy but not the pot for her cover.  The two of them seem so different and not in a complementary way.  Nothing against either of them.  I think she's staying quiet about what bothers her about him because she doesn't want to look bad.  It may be something shallow like his appearance or his personal scent or something else like that and she wouldn't want to come out with it and hurt his feelings and look like a bitch.  So of course in her effort to avoid that she ends up looking even worse.  I think the problem with Haley comes down to social skills and despite all her many friends who all may be surface relationships, she doesn't have the maturity to handle close intimate relationships.  Even if she did, though, I don't think she would be so wild about Jake.  And wait until she gets a load of his house (if she ever goes there).  I think it's going to be even more of a turn-off for her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I know I would be.  There's just something about him that's just too cave mannish.  

I was watching this at work with friends. Someone said he looks like a serial killer. I concur. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Episode Six

Very dramatic season. I still have hope for two of the marriages but three of them are shaky at best.

Paige Paige Paige! Such a sweet woman. God didn't call you into confusion and heartbreak. Admit this adventure is a mistake. Don't let Chris fool you. He knows exactly how to push your buttons and what to say. He is a devil in disguise. She needs to walk. Chris isn't genuine. He's been a hustler all or most of his life.

I'm glad I watched the confrontations on TV because if I were there in person I'd be mortified. Especially the ride on the bus.

Erik and Virginia are doomed even though they seem to want to make it work. With the kind of job he has its a mistake for him to marry at first sight. He knows his job requires a big sacrifice and that's not something you drop on a new wife. Someone dates you for a long time they can decide if the life is for them. If she's not an alcoholic she's doing a great impression. Virginia is in no place to interfere or stick her intoxicated face where it doesn't belong. Chris is a jerk but that's his problem. She could comfort Paige but no reason for her to confront Chris.

I feel sorry for any woman who is rejected with in a few days so I also feel sorry for Jake for the same reason. Not only isn't Haley attracted to him on any level I believe she feels insulted for bring picked to be his bride. I suspect she has already decided about this marriage. So probably best to yank the bandage off. Probably won't matter. Jake is not a fool and he won't hang around to be rejected either. I can't blame Haley too much Jake isn't a likable guy. I've met lots of guys who are amiable, relatable and funny...he's none of those things. He does have a cool house with a gym and a beach. I think even her parents wondered why they picked a guy like him for her husband. But that's the gamble you take when you play Married at first sight....

• Love 11

Chris is terrible. I prefer him to Erik.

When Brianna told Vincent he annoyed her, my initial thought was that Brianna is annoying. I'm still rooting for her/them though.

Chris supposedly makes 4x as much as the accountant. And, the accountant didn't question that. He doesn't believe in joint accounts even though there will be joint bills. Maybe Chris is scared that Paige will see though the smoke and mirrors of his finances if they share accounts. 

If Paige and Chris want privacy, perhaps they shouldn't discuss their situation on camera with the others.  Or limit the discussion to Brianna and Vincent and the experts. Maybe Paige is enjoying being supported by everyone. Even though she's providing evidence to guys that might date her in the future about how she might handle their foolishness. 

It's interesting that the women who haven't had relationships in their adult lives were paired with older men. That could be challenging.  Maybe the thinking was that the older guy would be more ready for a relationship than guys closer to their ages. that they dated or whatever. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 13

I have not read any comments yet, because I'm so angry I had to write while watching my recorded episode. Chris is so self-centered and tone deaf to the people around him, it blows my mind. The fact that he complains he's "being disrespected" when he's the most disrespectful in the group. His outrage awhen the men told him to "man up" and take control of the situation made me laugh because his pea brain doesn't accept that he shouldn't have gone on the show considering he was sleeping with another woman with no protection. Way to put your bride at risk. He also thinks he "manned up" by telling her he got his fiance pregnant during his rendezvous  with his ex, weeks before his wedding. Clearly, he's on the show for exposure and he's on the show to draw attention to any way that he can get money cuz clearly he needs $$ for his nonsense. I wish Paige would just up and walk away. She is so lovely she does not deserve this loser. Doesnt the show vet these losers?His poor parents must be embarrassed

• Love 18

Ya lost me, Paige. Ya know what I'm saying? (Putting that in there because apparently she likes hearing it over and over and over.) Pack it up and head for a therapist's office. Have explained to you what self esteem is vs. I took a vow. Of course, she (and the rest of these) signed up for a reality show in which they marry a stranger selected for them by experts like Pastor Cal, Dr. P and whatsherhame, the three stooges.

When Jake kept asking what changed after the first few days and we know they had sex, it was pretty cringeworthy. Will be laughing if it turns out that Haley (she of the No Intimacy Zone) has a non-physical reason that she works out in a few weeks. Maybe I'll record and zip through them? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Poor Paige better enjoy her honeymoon food. Chris will be eating steak and she will be eating peanut butter. This $$ is going to be a big issue. 

I don’t recall hearing about either’s income. I assumed Paige brought in more for some reason.  Why believe anything Chris has to say?   Sometimes I think these little scenarios are partially scripted.  So I don’t care much. They edit to mislead. LOL!

6 hours ago, Soup333 said:

Virginia needs help. I could never stand to be around someone who needs to drink and party like that. Maybe I’m old but hell naw. Absolutely not. 

Last thing they should be permitted to do is be late all the time and then barge into conversation.  Chris would probably have included the two in his apology.  

6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Virginia.  No one wants to hear any advice out of your drunk mouth.

Just a mistaken pairing if uou believe producers had any intention of making good matches.  Not sure I do.  

6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Virginia’s lateness would really annoy me. I think chronic lateness is so rude.

Back to comment two.  Not sure wasn’t production call.  

2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I was watching this at work with friends. Someone said he looks like a serial killer. I concur. 

Ted Bundy perhaps?  
Haley said she was starting to like him. Kind of got lost.  Five days in.  Good Lord, Haley and especially Jacob, at least give it another week before the complaining and self doubt starts.  

i am a little worried about Victor.  Commented last show something off/dark about him.  Know mentioned moody. Hope he’s not Jekyll/Hyde. Great socially but moody, irritable s at home. 

Finally, scene with Ryan and Clara was so revealing   They’ve discussed her talk-a-thons.  I loved that   He’s smart, observant, considers before speaking  I can see him falling for her   It’s obvious to me he likes her and thinking before talking important to him   Even if don’t stay together, he’s good for her   IMO  🌹  

I do not trust anything this season Too many train wrecks. Too many set ups.  And zero counseling   

Edited by Ms.C.
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Rae Spellman said:

Chris supposedly makes 4x as much as the accountant. And, the accountant didn't question that. He doesn't believe in joint accounts even though there will be joint bills. Maybe Chris is scared that Paige will see though the smoke and mirrors of his finances if they share accounts. 

BINGO!!!  You win!

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

What a dumpster fire episode. Chris is a piece of excrement. And I felt bad that production kept making all the couples get together. Who wants to have those kind of memories of their honeymoon? Chris was sooo rude and dismissive to Paige - separate accounts (what is he hiding?); wants to split the wedding cash; acts whiny about her dog, tells her he still loves his ex-fiance... Paige has the patience of a saint. I'd have taken one of his precious shoes and shoved it where the sun don't shine. I'm mad that the experts weren't involved at all during the whole fiasco, and left Paige to deal with it on her own.

Virginia and Erik - was there ever a moment when they weren't at least a little drunk? I definitely don't condone Chris's behavior toward them, but they need to stop putting their two cents in, and just privately let Paige know they support her. Virginia needs to grow up. She is too old to be constantly partying and getting drunk; or if she is set on staying that path, then don't get married.

Clara is the voice of reason, and I appreciate her common sense and rationality. Ryan is such a decent guy, too. I hope they can improve their communication because I do think they make a good couple.

Briana needs to realize Vincent is a grown man and doesn't need her telling him what to do. Hopefully he'll continue to call her on it. They still seem like the most smooth-sailing couple.

I don't care that much for Jake, but I do feel really bad for him. Haley is acting very cool, and ditching him was a jackass move. I think she is over it at this point, although it's not clear what's going on in her mind.

Next week: Jacob blows up at Haley; Erik expects Virginia to text him every time she goes/arrives somewhere; Ryan confesses to Pastor Cal he's never said the L-word; Vincent is irritated at Briana for belittling him; drama between Chris/the ex/Paige. I hope Paige runs far and fast.

• Love 5

Last night’s episode has the distinction of causing me to slam all my pillows and flip all my tables reacting to the scripted antics of PO$, Zombified Paige, Drunkard Erik talking like Otis from the old timey Andy Griffith Show and his wife, Otis herself, Skeeved out Haley, Selfish in the Sack Jake(Dude, you should have taken care of Haley first...if you get my drift), my cousin Vinny who is pushing back from the ole ball and chain, Mega Bossypants Brianna, Clara who is shocked and dismayed she hasn’t been to Pound Town with her Ry Ry, a rom com influenced teen girl who is waiting to be shot with Cupid’s arrow to get “the feels” for his ClaraBella Cow(sometimes gf of Goofy).

Anyone else thinking that production’s setting up Virginia and PO$ to go at each other is wrong headed?

She is obviously very deeply under the influence and production is taking advantage of her to draw Erik into the position to defend her against an increasingly belligerent PO$.

Shameful...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Ms.C. said:

Back to comment two.  Not sure wasn’t production call.  

Maybe, but Virginia said herself last episode that she’s always late - she said she was late to work every day, and Erik was like “And they don’t fire you?” and stressed that he can’t function that way because flights have to be on time. (Also as a military guy he’s used to being prompt.) Also I think Clara said something like “Virginia is late, no surprise there.”

• Love 10
8 hours ago, princelina said:

I don't know what Haley's deal is - the timing makes it seem like the sex turned her off, but when she was telling about it she seemed kind of giggly and happy.  I don't think he's going to get over being ditched and lied to, and good for him on that.

Yeah, she seemed happy with the sex in her talking head.  Jake mentioned that it happened after a night of drinking.  My theory is she wanted sex, enjoyed it, and later it sunk in that this isn’t a guy she is just dating and can ghost but that she is tied to him for the next 6-8 wks.  Jake is right that she needs to be honest.  I hope he doesn’t get over being ditched, too.  That is so mean.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Booger666 said:

Yeah, she seemed happy with the sex in her talking head.  Jake mentioned that it happened after a night of drinking.  My theory is she wanted sex, enjoyed it, and later it sunk in that this isn’t a guy she is just dating and can ghost

Agreed.

She doesn’t see herself having a future filled with her huge friends group, herd gathering communal good times with loner and  unsophisticated Jake, bless his heart.

But like the iconic Popeye, Jake proclaims 
I yam who I yam and that’s all that I yam...I’m Popeye, the Sailorman.

Jake is not going to change into a frat boi with button down shirts, tails out, cotton Ralph sweater tied around his neck, madras shorts and sockless Topsiders.

And Jake shouldn’t. He is happy with who he is and deserves someone who appreciates him.

The classic mismatch...Miss Popularity with a Mathlete.

Jake finding out that Haley with held information of the couples gathering better get used to it.

She clearly doesn't want him along for fun times, doesn't want to carry him socially and couldn't care less getting caught and confronted.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Hayley seems like she can’t stand Jake. Her jaw is clenched, she’s holding herself tense, and she looks and sounds irritated. 

She’s another where I wonder why she got married - maybe because all her friends are? If she’s so into being independent, she should stay single. I don’t mean that unkindly, either - we need to teach people (really, women, because we’re the ones who are indoctrinated with “you’re nobody unless somebody loves you”) that being single is a totally valid and valuable path.

Yes, and I blame the experts.  They are good for nothing.  Where are they anyhow?  HIDING, because they fucked up?  Who needs them?  Put all of us on and you will see perfect matches.  Maybe they think opposites attract.  Over the years, some couples made it, but it just happened to be a fluke, not because of the experts.  They are useless.  I’m sure the Pastor and Shorty would say”try harder”.   And they picked Chris?  Were they blind?  He’s a self centered blowhard baby you could see from a mile away.  A bullshit artist who has a mean streak.  Yeah, he’ll make a great Father.  I feel sorry for the kid already.  Rant over!

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have to stop mentioning cocktails. I’m getting plastered with treatment center ads lol. I’m sober as a judge right now. 

I don’t drink, but now I could use a couple of Bloody Marys with lots of salt all around and lots of lemons and limes.  That’s how I got my son.  I was so plastered, I didn’t even know what was going on ......whoopieeeeee !   

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 6
12 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

If you want privacy Chris, quit this REALITY show immediately. Chris and Paige are making this show uncomfortable to watch and it’s really a huge downer. 

What cracks me up is he tells Paige he loves the other woman and wants to be with her.  Then why did he come on the show?  How did the experts not see he was a bullshit artist?  Aren’t they supposed to be smart with all their degrees?  Where’s the sex therapist?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Haley reminds me of those females that always have a lot of girlfriends.  They are extremely popular with a lot of friends.  But they never seem to have a relationship.  She relates well with her friends.  But she doesn't seem to know how to act in a romantic relationship. I doubt she would have been successful with any husband they gave her.  Too bad for Jacob.  I think he really wanted a marriage.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Chris/Paige:  

If they stay together, she can expect a lifetime of wondering where he is, why his phone is on silent, why he takes his phone everywhere, even to the bathroom, why his ex won't stop calling and telling him she still loves him, why his ex calls in the middle of the night with "emergencies" that he has to run to (stopped sinks, e.g.).  

Don't forget knocks on the door with an unending parade of children claiming that PO$ Chris is their "father."

Paige will need to try get a group rate for the crowd of kids needing  paternity DNA testing....

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

And to reiterate: Paige is NOT a victim. She knew this guy barely 24 hours before he pulled his "crazy narcissist card". No kids, nothing invested. She and Chris are BOTH villains imo. And WHERE is her neck? 

#JusticeForJacob! He is a REAL victim. He would have been perfect for Mindy! 

Let me edit this to say, that I don't think the younger participants on this show are a viable option for this experiment. Either that, or they are on the show for the wrong reasons. The WHOLE premise of the show is to open yourself up for 8 weeks to a partner they wouldn't normally meet irl. But most of these cast member SHUT DOWN if the attraction (physical AND emotional) isn't immediately there, The ENTIRE experiment is based on an arranged marriage mentality of sorts. Frankly, I'm getting sick of seeing them not trying at all, and clamming up and closing themselves off. It is very immature and goes against the very reason the show exists. 

Would LOVE to see an actual, serious matchmaking documentary. I'd imagine out of 100 participants, less than10% would even be suitable for this type of marriage. Weeding out all the baggage and personality disorders that exist out there. I honestly think with the way we date in this modern day with all our easy accessible choices, (swipe left!) that marriage will become defunct sooner than later. 

Edited by Cammi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, Cammi said:

And to reiterate: Paige is NOT a victim. She knew this guy barely 24 hours before he pulled his "crazy narcissist card". No kids, nothing invested. She and Chris are BOTH villains imo. And WHERE is her neck? 

Yes, and maybe he would have been better with Clara.  She’s very friendly and really wants love.  She’s getting nothing from what’s his name.  Ryan.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Jake/Haley:  I don't get the Jacob/Serial Killer stuff.  He seems like this nerdy, offbeat guy who wants Haley to like him and doesn't understand her changing emotions.  I think she was giddy over having a husband, but now that the glow has worn off, it's....oh, not this husband.  When you don't feel it, you don't feel it.  And when someone is really into you, and then turns off, it's confusing and hurtful.  He's expressing his feelings.  And FWIW, I think he's super cute.

Erik/Virginia:  He has sex goggles on right now.  Sex + more alcohol than he's probably ever drank in his life.  Once he returns to normal life, he won't be able to drink shots the nights before flights, and things will normalize for him.  He'll start to see through her.  Virginia is, IMHO, an alcoholic who will need an intervention/AA before too long.

Chris/Paige:  He's a Narcissistic sociopath, and she's the Empathiest Empath ever.  Great match.  A true narcissist who needs Triangulation for his emotional life to work, so he drips and drops things in about his ex, just so he can watch Paige squirm.  A true Empath who needs to understand, to feel like she's going to save it all, through the grace of prayer.  

If they stay together, she can expect a lifetime of wondering where he is, why his phone is on silent, why he takes his phone everywhere, even to the bathroom, why his ex won't stop calling and telling him she still loves him, why his ex calls in the middle of the night with "emergencies" that he has to run to (stopped sinks, e.g.).  It will of course be because Chris has been leading on his ex this whole time too.

Because for a Narcissist like Chris, the triangulation has to work with both women:  Paige has to be unnerved and anxious all the time, wondering where he is and why he's always on the phone texting "her", and the Ex has to always wonder why he tells her he still loves her (and probably has sex with her), that he won't leave Paige.

ETA:  The things I write about these people are my opinion only.  I am not a therapist, but I've played one in real life, dealing with my own "Chris's".

THIS. RIGHT. HERE. All of it. Thank you 😘 I want to make love to your post! Wonderfully expresses everything I am feeling about this show. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I like Haley but I have to agree with this.  She was going on and on about being independent, but I also began to wonder why she got married.  

I think she was willing to get married, but she doesn't like Jacob.   If she liked him, she would be willing to work with him and things would be going better, but she's now regretting this and wants out.  I was very surprised to hear they had sex.  I think that was the topping on the cake and after that she said, I'm out.   It is confusing to a guy to give it up and then be cold to him.  I'm not surprised he's confused and doesn't know how to act around her.  Leave her alone (obviously) or try to get close to her.  He doesn't know what to do.  

• Love 14
5 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Erik expects Virginia to text him every time she goes/arrives somewhere

I dated a guy like that, it made me nuts, we would arrange to meet somewhere and he wanted me to text as I left my house, when I got to the parking, and as I was walking in to where ever, it wore thin fast.

Will Erik be texting her when he walks in to the cockpit, lands at his destination, gets to the hotel...

Why was Me$$ed so concern about bank accounts and money in general when he is not onboard with telling Paige how he feels about his situation, that was ballsy, why worry about money when bigger fish need to be fried?  Also, if someone does not want to involve himself with my beloved pet but looks to me to be a part time parent to his spawn, that speaks volumes as to what sort of person you are dealing with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Haley AND THE OTHERS did Jake dirty, deliberately  shunning him AS A GROUP. 

F. Her.

Didn't he have a history of being picked on when he was a kid and that's why he got so into fitness? Am I remembering that right? Ugh, that incident must have brought up so much crap for him.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Why did Chris get up when Virginia got up to leave the table?  Virginia and Erik said they were leaving.  Virginia stood up and then Chris got up before Erik did.  If Chris wanted to end the confrontation he would have stayed seated.  Virginia was not going to attack Chris. There was no reason for Chris to stand at that point unless he wanted to continue the confrontation.  Then he tried to blame all of his problems on Erik & Virginia.  I don't think they are the ones treating Paige like shit.  It was sad when she was apologizing for Chris on the dune buggy trip.  If she stays with Chris she will be apologizing for him for the rest of her life.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, sara416 said:

Didn't he have a history of being picked on when he was a kid and that's why he got so into fitness? Am I remembering that right? Ugh, that incident must have brought up so much crap for him.

The issue I have with that story about how Haley and the others hauled ass when they saw him is that her telling about their marriage is skewing the groups view of him, he seems reasonable, wants to talk about things, trying to be a good partner but the others will not see it that way because the only side they hear is Haley's.

I think Jake is a good looking guy who takes pride in his physicality.  I'd do him, I have done worse, lol.  Personality aside, he may be a fun tipsy romp.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, LakeGal said:

Haley reminds me of those females that always have a lot of girlfriends.  They are extremely popular with a lot of friends.  But they never seem to have a relationship.  She relates well with her friends.  But she doesn't seem to know how to act in a romantic relationship. I doubt she would have been successful with any husband they gave her.  Too bad for Jacob.  I think he really wanted a marriage.  

It still blows my mind that's she's been a bridesmaid 14 times or whatever. I can't imagine a time when I need that many friends in the first place. Seems like she already has a busy life. Why get married?

• Love 8

I really hope these couples re-watch these episodes, they could learn a lot!  The whole dust-up at the restaurant would've been avoided because Eric and VA wouldn't have missed the serious repentant convo from Chris.  As it was, Eric/VA were still revved up from the bus ride brouhaha and a few more cocktails in, and they were ready to rumble and put Chris in his place.  Once again, bad timing that could've been totally avoided.  But then, the producers prolly knew that already and held them up for the sake of the big "D" (Drama).  Does anyone else get the impression that Chris has a pattern of acting like an *ss and then apologizing with all the right lingo?  He seems very good at it.

And Paige, is shell-shocked and can't put a thought together to realize that just minutes before Chris told her he's falling in love with HER, he told her that he loves his ex and is considering going back to her now that she is pregnant.  This guy is full of sh*t and believes his own stories.

Eric's true colors are slowly surfacing now that the alcohol-haze is running its course and real life is looming.  He seems to be very controlling and the age/maturity difference has given him the role of rule-maker/enforcrer. 

Honeymoon is DEFINITELY over for Jake and Haley.  I blame them both.  I am forever shaking my head at these people who go on a show to "shake things up and try something different" yet revert to their old habits time and time again. 

And the group meeting without Jake, with the hell?!?!  That was just cruel and hurtful! 

Edited by suzeecat
another thought
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, sara416 said:

YES.  You are 100% Right.  There’s nothing wrong with him.  So he’s quiet  .. so what?  He’s respectful, can have an intelligent conversation, is smart, etc.  I think she’s a little conceited.  Plus, it’s very rude to be talking to her 100 girlfriends on her honeymoon.  She acts like she’s better than Jake.  If she is such a catch, why is she on this show in the first place.  Need help finding a partner?

• Like 1
  • Love 21

If the text is the content of the episodes aired so far rather than the episodes plus spoilers and gossip Chris considering whether or not he should reconcile with his pregnant ex isn't that unreasonable.

Last season when Olivia was upset about Brett continuing to date women from the apps two weeks before being matched, the show told us that was okay. Most people who apply for the show aren't selected. Two weeks or six weeks before wedding day potential grooms don't know they'll be married. 

Chris has been engaged a couple of times. One of those engagements ended a couple of months before the wedding. He hooked up with her before he knew MAFS found a wife for him. Chris, like his new wife is open to unprotected sex with people he just met. Sex with someone he knew resulted in a pregnancy. He found out about the pregnancy less than a week into his marriage to a woman that he doesn't know and isn't attracted to. He still loves the ex. He wants to care for his child. Thinking about trying to make things work with someone he loves, is attracted to, and is pregnant with his child could be a more typical response than deciding that a relationship with this new woman is his new first priority. Paige doesn't even like Chris so much as she thinks she should try to make this travesty of a relationship work. I'm holding out hope that sometime in the next eight weeks, the analytical skills that led her to a career in accounting will show up and take over.

The show doesn't care about Chris. Or Paige. Or any other cast members. If the goal for this season was to showcase five healthy fledgling relationships, Chris was a terrible pick. If the goal was to entertain some, outrage others, and maybe help a few people reconsider their bad relationship and life choices, Chris is doing more or less what he was cast to do. Paige, Erik, Virginia, and the rest of them, too. 

• Love 12

I'm still surprised that Ryan and Vincent, in particular, would take part in abandoning Jake like that. I could see all the women taking Haley's side and Erik going along with whatever but I didn't take Ryan or Vincent to be deliberate assholes. I wonder what Haley told them. Is it Hailey or Haley? I don't know.

One thing that's bothering me now on reflection is Ryan asking Clara to keep her mouth shut regarding Paige/Chris. I get it to a degree. He gives "middle child mediator" energy and definitely seems like he would try to keep everyone calm in a tense situation. However, people choosing to mind their own business is how folk end up in abusive situations for years, isolated from friends/family and even neighbors and coworkers who know or suspect abuse but have decided to stay in their own lane and not get involved. 

It's likely Paige has never encountered a man like Chris before. People like Chris use your values against you. His Super Christian "man of God" shtick is one of his many tools of manipulation and he knows she is particularly susceptible to it because of her strong beliefs. In a way, she's fighting several battles right now. Her deeply entrenched (patriarchal) belief system, the antics of production, Chris's constant cycles of abuse, her (severely misplaced) faith in MAFS and the "experts," the terms and conditions of her contract, and the small still voice inside of her that's screaming, "Girl, this is some bullshit." And if she's still having sex with Chris through all of this drama then she's creating an emotional tie to this man that conflicts with how he treats her. That's a mind fuck. She'll need therapy after this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

To me, this was a totally unpleasant episode and I didn't enjoy it at all. There was too much forced togetherness on a miserable excuse for a honeymoon. Like many of you have stated, there is way too much Chris/Paige drama and it is sucking the air out of the season. I don't know how much is production driven, but he is a horrible person. Period. For him to be saying he makes 4 times as much as she does when 1) she has a real job and 2) his "restaurant" has closed and he never paid any rent is ridiculous for her to just accept what he says. Of course, he wants his own accounts so she can't see how awful he is with money. but, I bet he will want access to her account. And I have no more compassion for Paige. He tells her he still loves his pregnant ex and they have talked about getting together, BUT he is starting to feel spiritually attracted to Paige, so she stands a chance if she stays with him. And she just starts smiling when he throws her a bone. She needs REAL therapy, not from the MAFS idiots.

I started the season liking Eric. No more - he is letting his stupid child-bride take him down the wrong path. He can't hold his alcohol like she can and appears to be a sloppy drunk. It is NOT cute to be chronically late and she is very immature and selfish. I still can't believe that all of the couples have had sex except for them. (Clara kind of alluded to it, although didn't come right out and say it.) He is letting her make a fool out of him. Her insistence on drinking and partying Thursdays-Saturdays is a serious problem. (Does she not go to work on Friday?) I am not of fan of this couple anymore.

I still like Ryan and Clara seems to be a good friend to talk to - both Virginia and Paige have gotten advice from her. I hope they make it.

I think that Vincent and Briana are fine and we just saw some production planted hijinks to give them some airtime.

I still can't believe they selected Haley for this show. Her family says she is a tough nut to break. She says she is picky and makes snap decisions about partners and is done with them. They have had that type of woman who is "too independent" and doesn't want to compromise before (Deonna and  Karen come to mind), but I just don't understand why she wanted to get married. To constantly say that she doesn't want too be with someone all the time (which I understand is a tough transition after being single for so long), but the fact that she won't talk about it is hard to watch. And hard not to side with Jake. He is trying. I am still shocked they had sex. I hope they enjoyed it because it won't happen again. But, I do agree with those who have said that Haley seems to think she is better than he is (or at least has that attitude) and the is not a good thing. I don't know if they will even move in together!

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Rae Spellman said:

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why was Me$$ed so concern about bank accounts and money in general when he is not onboard with telling Paige how he feels about his situation, that was ballsy, why worry about money when bigger fish need to be fried?  

She's an accountant with a real estate license who owns her own home!  He has a Subway, has just bought his first house to flip, and a closet of bejeweled slippers.  No way does he make more than her - and this is where his childishness comes through.  A craftier guy would go along with joint bank accounts and rip her off before divorcing.  A middle schooler would ask for his cut of the wedding cash, insult her income and refuse joint accounts 😄   His stupidity and desire to show off is how God is protecting Paige's bank accounts!

1 hour ago, Cammi said:

Let me edit this to say, that I don't think the younger participants on this show are a viable option for this experiment. Either that, or they are on the show for the wrong reasons. The WHOLE premise of the show is to open yourself up for 8 weeks to a partner they wouldn't normally meet irl. But most of these cast member SHUT DOWN if the attraction (physical AND emotional) isn't immediately there, The ENTIRE experiment is based on an arranged marriage mentality of sorts. Frankly, I'm getting sick of seeing them not trying at all, and clamming up and closing themselves off. It is very immature and goes against the very reason the show exists. 

I'd love to see Jacob and Mindy together!  And I agree - the first couple seasons it was "these people have tried EVERYTHING to find love, and now they've come to us and to try something other than the ways that have not worked for them in the past."  That premise, IMO, means that there should be no one under the age of 30.  Ever.

And while I'm sure Chris was a big fat liar during the interview process, I can't imagine that Virginia was - they had to know she was just looking for a drinking buddy!

50 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

It still blows my mind that's she's been a bridesmaid 14 times or whatever. I can't imagine a time when I need that many friends in the first place. Seems like she already has a busy life. Why get married?

Because it sucks being the only one without a date at every social function!  (See Olivia). And I got the impression from her mom AND her bitchy girlfriends that they heckle her about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Her insistence on drinking and partying Thursdays-Saturdays is a serious problem. (Does she not go to work on Friday?)

This makes me think she’s still kind of in a college mindset. When I was in college, it was rare to have class on Fridays and if you did, you almost never had a full day. Maybe you had a lab or an intro-level language class but your class obligations were generally minimal. So for us, the weekend started on Thursday. (The worst hangover I’ve ever had to this day came from a Thursday night drinking session in college. It’s why I don’t do tequila shots.) I’m sure Virginia does work on Fridays but she figures that it’s just one day she has to grit her teeth and make it through, and the trade-off of going out on Thursday nights is worth it to her. 

Getting drunk (because I’m not sure she’s capable of just going out and having one or two drinks, or even staying in and having one or two drinks - she’s not a “glass of wine with dinner” type) three nights a week, every week, feels excessive to me. 

• Love 11

Ryan's never told anybody he loved them and the look on his face as Clare told him about her dating history starting with all the frat boys!

Is that something young couples do?  Tell about each and every sexual partner to their new spouse that looks like a really nice, decent guy that's a bit taken aback as she rambles on!

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

Ryan's never told anybody he loved them and the look on his face as Clare told him about her dating history starting with all the frat boys!

Is that something young couples do?  Tell about each and every sexual partner to their new spouse that looks like a really nice, decent guy that's a bit taken aback as she rambles on!

Not necessarily sexual partners, but I think a romantic history is important to share. The fact that Ryan has never said I love you is relevant information for Clara.

• Love 4

VIRGINIA/ERIK: I was puzzled by the Virginia/Erik match from the start...they seem so different. And I am so saddened now that rather than him elevating her to a new level of maturity, she seems to be dragging him down to her level, into all of her bad, immature behavior. The presumably always prompt military man/pilot seems to be late to everything now, which is such a rude and unattractive trait. And despite seeming to live a pretty buttoned-up, non-partier life prior to this marriage, now we see him drunk in every single scene, regardless of the time of day. I can’t imagine what he must be thinking watching the show back now, seeing himself slurring his words and essentially looking and sounding like a drunken fool every time he’s on camera. Not a good look for a pilot. Not a good look for anyone. I wonder, too, what his mom is thinking watching the show. She wasn’t impressed at the wedding and now pretty much all her concerns have been validated. I hope it’s just a honeymoon thing and he snaps out of it when they are back in Atlanta. No one wants a hungover pilot flying their plane, or worse, one that’s still drunk. She could drag him down enough to potentially destroy everything he’s spent his life building if he doesn’t pull himself together and fast.

PAIGE/CHRIS: I wish I could tell Paige that God’s path for us doesn’t always run in a smooth, straight line. I wish I could tell her that, in all likelihood, Chris is not part of God’s forever plan for her but instead he is just one of the many bumps in the road that we all hit in life that help to steer us toward our true destinies. He and this show will surely have a purpose in her life, but launching a lasting marriage is clearly not that purpose. This is merely a stepping stone for her and the show may even serve as an important vehicle to get her to her ultimate happiness. Maybe she will meet someone that she otherwise would not have met without being on this show, and that man will be the man God intended for her. That man will be the reason she was on MAFS, not Chris. I know she believes that God has a plan, but she is assuming that plan ends with this marriage. She is missing the fact that God is sending her sign after sign to leave Chris and that she should leave and continue down the path toward her destiny. I don’t blame her. We all get stuck on some of the bumps in life sometimes. I wish her nothing but the best. She’s a good egg and will surely live a beautiful life (without Chris!). 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Haley AND THE OTHERS did Jake dirty, deliberately  shunning him AS A GROUP. 

F. Her.

How do we know what Haley told the group?  He isn't feeling well.  We had a fight and he's a big asshole.   I agree that she was wrong to lie and say it was a girl's night out, but I wonder what she led the others to think. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 6