Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, GaT said:

No way this is going to go well for her if it happens

Britney Spears' Dad Jamie Wants Her to Sit for Deposition

I don't see her calmly answering questions her father's lawyer asks her.

Here;s the thing, if she is suing him over the conservatorship, this is part of the process.   She can't refuse to be deposed or her case can get thrown out.   She's stuck.   She can't just nope out of it.   Part of being responsible for your own life is you have to do the unfun things too.  

8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

YIKES indeed.   I hope the DWI is only the prelude to more serious charges.   Sounds like drinking only gave him the courage to do what he wanted to do anyway, not just a mere drunk driver driving badly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/28/what-the-hottest-stars-of-the-80s-and-90s-look-like-now/

Some of these people have known mental health issues, physical health issues, and/or drug and alcohol problems. 

This one was shocking though:

1086802725_Screenshot_20220129-073814_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.873801c5a5e3e6f1eba6911b14195d5f.jpg

Bridget Fonda, 58. Hasn't been seen in public in 12 years. She had a bad roll over car accident in 2003 & fractured her back. 

Wouldn’t this be considered body shaming?  Not necessarily to you, @NowVoyager, but the original post.

Bridget went through a hell of a time, and take it from someone who needs a Walker and is only a few years older than her, due to disc degeneration and needing a new hip, you cannot exercise.  In fact, even walking (in my case) will wear down your hips more.  So putting on weight is very common to those w/hip, leg, back problems.

• Love 23

I'm more shocked by the clothing. Lots of people get bigger compared to what they looked like in their 20's (see: Yasmine Bleeth) but Fonda comes from Hollywood Royalty- shouldn't she have access to funds to at least afford better clothes? That makes me wonder if she got stiffed on her inheritance or she blew through it like Tori Spelling did. (Even if Tori had inherited say 8.2 million instead of the 820k she actually did, I still think she'd still be broke by now.) 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

She does have a super cute bag though.

I love that bag, too.  I wish I knew what brand it was.  I had no idea that Bridget was married to Danny Elfman.  (I always think of him as composer of “The Simpsons” theme and Batman 1989, but of course his credits are a mile long.)  That is pretty cool!

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm more shocked by the clothing. Lots of people get bigger compared to what they looked like in their 20's (see: Yasmine Bleeth) but Fonda comes from Hollywood Royalty- shouldn't she have access to funds to at least afford better clothes? That makes me wonder if she got stiffed on her inheritance or she blew through it like Tori Spelling did. (Even if Tori had inherited say 8.2 million instead of the 820k she actually did, I still think she'd still be broke by now.) 

Plus size casual clothing options suck. The dressy and business plus size options are not that much better. There’s also a huge difference in what is available for someone of her size versus a 1 or 2x. 

Edited by Guest
45 minutes ago, Zella said:

Also not everyone is in to clothes. Just because you have money to buy fancy clothes doesn't mean you care enough about fashion to do so. 

That'd be me. I mean, yeah, I'd buy clothes that looked a little nicer than what I was used to, and perhaps fit me a little better, sure, but I wouldn't give a crap about whether or not I looked "fashionable". Especially not if I'm out running simple errands. This isn't a runway fashion show I'm going to, it's the grocery store. Who the hell am I trying to impress? 

1 hour ago, Peace 47 said:

I had no idea that Bridget was married to Danny Elfman.  (I always think of him as composer of “The Simpsons” theme and Batman 1989, but of course his credits are a mile long.)  That is pretty cool!

Yeah, they've been married quite a long time, too :). 

It's funny, I know he did the "Simpsons" theme, and he's joked about how that's going to be the thing everyone will remember him for, but that's never the first thing that comes to mind when I hear his name. I immediately think of Nightmare Before Christmas or the "Beetlejuice "cartoon/movie or the song "Weird Science" :D. 

• Love 16

I like her purse but once I saw one with the dog it’s all I can focus on. I have a soft spot for Australian Shepherds. 
image.jpeg.81dd5948d5247c5763b999bb450ac50b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And I doubt she called them.  This was an attempt to body shame "OMG, can you believe what happened to her?" when she has taken herself out of the limelight.  And they're getting called on it. 

All while suggesting that she’s become some slovenly recluse. The headlines are all about how she was seen out for the first time in public in 12 years. So disingenuous to pretend that she’s been hiding away just because they picked now to act shocked. 

2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

What's sad to me is the same people body shaming her for daring to look like a somewhat overweight woman pushing 60  (oh the horror) are the same people who'd be mocking her if she were slim but had had "work" done on her face in an attempt to keep looking 25.  Women, especially celebrity women, really can't win as they age.  They always do it wrong it seems.

Yep. It’s ready the point where any comments about a women’s looks makes me uncomfortable. 

Edited by Guest
Typos

Funnily enough, something made me think of her recently and I realized I hadn't seen her in anything in ages. I didn't know she'd quit acting.

Also, I didn't realize how old she was. I would have guessed she was only a few years older than me.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Dani said:

All while suggestions that she’s become some slovenly recluse. The headlines are all about how she was scene out for the first time in public in 12 years. So disingenuous to pretend that she’s been hiding away just because they picked now to act shocked. 

Yeah, she's probably been out in public loads of times but, since she doesn't have a constant need for fan validation, she just lives like a normal citizen so no one noticed. Then someone decided to do a "omg look how terrible these people look" article and dug up a pic of her to use. 

My only "wow, is that really her" thing is, she had such a very distinctive face to me and because of the angle she's facing it's hard to see that great bone structure she had in her youth so I wouldn't have known that was her if I were just shown that picture. But she looks fine, she has a dog so she's living a good life. 

I am amused by how the dog is staring down the camera. 

• Love 20
13 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/28/what-the-hottest-stars-of-the-80s-and-90s-look-like-now/

Some of these people have known mental health issues, physical health issues, and/or drug and alcohol problems. 

1086802725_Screenshot_20220129-073814_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.873801c5a5e3e6f1eba6911b14195d5f.jpg

Bridget Fonda, 58. Hasn't been seen in public in 12 years. She had a bad roll over car accident in 2003 & fractured her back. 

You had me at 'Bridget Fonda, 58'...😮

That said, The New York post can just fuck right off.  Please don't try to couch this as a where are they now piece, when it is clearly a body/age shaming piece.  Was this sponsored by Oprah, or are the editors merley fanboys/girls? 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 20

I don’t know where to put this so will mention it here:  I’m watching the Janet Jackson documentary on A&E and found myself timing the thing.  It’s 4-8 minutes of material and then 3 1/2 minutes of commercials.  It’s maddening.  I don’t know that I can do live commercial television anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Bridget Fonda appears to be  living a routine life away from the spotlight and, as far as I know, she's not doing anyone else any harm.  So why not just leave her alone and let her live her life without harassing her? Sheesh! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 24
37 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Bridget Fonda appears to be  living a routine life away from the spotlight and, as far as I know, she's not doing anyone else any harm.  So why not just leave her alone and let her life her life without harassing her? Sheesh! 

Because The Daily Mail like most British media is complete trash that has long thrived on basically bullying and harassing people for their own amusement.

And I know the link above is to the NY Post but it's my understanding that the pics and story originated from The Daily Mail. Also, the Post itself has been trash for years as well. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because The Daily Mail like most British media is complete trash that has long thrived on basically bullying and harassing people for their own amusement.

And I know the link above is to the NY Post but it's my understanding that the pics and story originated from The Daily Mail. Also, the Post itself has been trash for years as well. 

If the media plastered photos of their own  editors and shutterbugs in casual attire  getting their mail and walking their dogs, I wonder if that might possibly get them to back off from the younger Miss Fonda and others?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I don’t know where to put this so will mention it here:  I’m watching the Janet Jackson documentary on A&E and found myself timing the thing.  It’s 4-8 minutes of material and then 3 1/2 minutes of commercials.  It’s maddening.  I don’t know that I can do live commercial television anymore.

I feel the same way. The commercials were really annoying. The documentary was really good, though. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 5

I stand corrected, Bridget Fonda is actually older than me.  I thought she was in her early 50s.  Neither she, nor anyone else of any age, male or female, should be ashamed of their figure/body.  Unless they cause it by over doing drugs or alcohol.  (IMO). Or too much plastic surgery that it causes you to look like a wax horror extra.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, topanga said:

I feel the same way. The commercials were really annoying. The documentary was really good, though. 

I enjoyed the documentary, too.  However, towards the end when she mentioned her son, I don't remember her mentioning the father and that she had been married a third time and had divorced.  

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I enjoyed the documentary, too.  However, towards the end when she mentioned her son, I don't remember her mentioning the father and that she had been married a third time and had divorced.  

I wondered about this too, they filed for divorce back in 2017, so I guess they're divorced by now & I found it very strange that the third husband wasn't really mentioned at all. Also, the way they skirted  around how Joe treated them saying she understood why he was so tough, & they were glad he gave them a strong work ethic. Yeaaaah, I'm sure he was father of the year.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, GaT said:

Also, the way they skirted  around how Joe treated them saying she understood why he was so tough, & they were glad he gave them a strong work ethic. Yeaaaah, I'm sure he was father of the year.

I found the documentary to be a little superficial, but I know she is very private so I didn’t expect any big revelations.

Her comments about her dad weren’t surprising.  She also talked about Michael calling her a cow and/or pig while she was dealing with body issues, but said it’s just what brothers do.  I only have sisters, but I don’t think so.  Then after the Super Bowl Justin called her and asked her if he should say something; the answer to that should have been, “Hell Yes and why are you wasting time calling me first to ask what I think when you see me being crucified in the press while you’re still invited to the grammy’s?!?” But she told him not to.  Frankly, I know they praised her for not acting like a victim, but boundaries, girl!

• Love 20

Michael calling Janet a "slaughter pig" felt excessively cruel; I was way bigger than she was as a child and my brother never called me that. We had our major differences but he never crossed the line. Randy and Janet's relationship seems to be pretty close. It really sucks that Janet lost the Coca-Cola deal because of the allegations against Michael.

The documentary could have used an additional 2 hours because so much was glossed over or not mentioned at all. They barely mentioned "The Velvet Rope" Tour and could have showed some footage of N'Sync opening up for Janet along with her telling Randy about how she knew Justin.

Although René's footage was a good percentage of the documentary, he was getting on my nerves with his damn camera. Wanting Janet to do a "second take" kiss greeting her mother was obnoxious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Is the documentary depressing? I've always been a big Janet fan, but not sure I can take anything depressing right now. I always thought Janet seemed like such a sweetheart. It's amazing how sweet she is considering her family and different things she's gone though. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Her comments about her dad weren’t surprising.  She also talked about Michael calling her a cow and/or pig while she was dealing with body issues, but said it’s just what brothers do.  I only have sisters, but I don’t think so.  Then after the Super Bowl Justin called her and asked her if he should say something; the answer to that should have been, “Hell Yes and why are you wasting time calling me first to ask what I think when you see me being crucified in the press while you’re still invited to the grammy’s?!?” But she told him not to.  Frankly, I know they praised her for not acting like a victim, but boundaries, girl!

My favourite tweet about this:

• LOL 7
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Is the documentary depressing? I've always been a big Janet fan, but not sure I can take anything depressing right now. I always thought Janet seemed like such a sweetheart. It's amazing how sweet she is considering her family and different things she's gone though. 

Not IMO. I found it very interesting because she was able to control her narrative.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Thank you! I'll check it out. 

And I'm not surprised Janet said to leave Justin alone. She's softhearted. 

And/or she's well aware that any vitriol directed at Justin by her supporters will come back on her multiple times over from Justin's fans.  And that as a WOC, that hate-bomb will get amplified by the racist misogynist brigades on social media just looking for another famous woman to "put in her place".

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

And/or she's well aware that any vitriol directed at Justin by her supporters will come back on her multiple times over from Justin's fans.  And that as a WOC, that hate-bomb will get amplified by the racist misogynist brigades on social media just looking for another famous woman to "put in her place".

Nah.  People have been dragging Justin in her name for years.  The most brutal was during his recent stint as Superbowl half time performer a few years ago.  It brought up a lot of resentment bubbling to the top on her behalf and SM went to town. 

It hasn't blown back on her because a lot of  people are aware she'd already been disproportionately punished as he walked away scot free and they feel that at least he deserves some of what he is getting.

Also there is a lot of solidarity among Janet fans and Britney fans because of Justin's actions toward both women.

• Love 16
On 1/29/2022 at 7:47 AM, NowVoyager said:

On 1/29/2022 at 10:33 AM, roamyn said:

Wouldn’t this be considered body shaming?  Not necessarily to you, @NowVoyager, but the original post.

Bridget went through a hell of a time, and take it from someone who needs a Walker and is only a few years older than her, due to disc degeneration and needing a new hip, you cannot exercise.  In fact, even walking (in my case) will wear down your hips more.  So putting on weight is very common to those w/hip, leg, back problems.

Thank You for clarifying that your comment wasn't directed towards me, but just to be clear 🏾 I do not condone body shaming. In my culture, weight gain is not looked at through the same harsh lens as it is in other cultures. I posted the picture because it was already being widely circulated and discussed and I thought it would provide for provocative discussion here. And it did, so mission accomplished. I made a point to mention her back injury assuming it was common knowledge that those types of health issues easily lead to weight gain. (Also, I sincerely wish you the best @roamyn in dealing with your back and hip issues!)

On 1/29/2022 at 10:40 AM, methodwriter85 said:

^^^^^ This part right here. Personally, I was struck by her overall appearance. Most people put on weight as they get older; most people have put on weight during the pandemic. However, Bridget is a Fonda. She didn't ask for it but it is her birthright, for better or for worse. She is third generation Hollywood royalty: born into a life of wealth, priviledge, beauty and access the likes of which we will never know. She's free to dress however she chooses; but given her lifetime of experience, I'm surprised she didn't put herself together a little bit better. Don't zing me, but: if her greys were dyed, some lipstick & a cashmere blend sweat suit--- she wouldn't be getting all this grief right now.

She and her husband own at least 2 properties in the L.A. area: a home and a ranch. One of the properties is valued at ~$14million. Plus, her husband Danny Elfman is a very successful muscian/producer. (He seems like such a cool, interesting guy. I looked at his Instagram--- the art & the music he's creating is so striking. Plus there's some fun content about their adorable dog & the chickens at their ranch.)

On 1/29/2022 at 1:22 PM, SusannahM said:

What's sad to me is the same people body shaming her for daring to look like a somewhat overweight woman pushing 60  (oh the horror) are the same people who'd be mocking her if she were slim but had had "work" done on her face in an attempt to keep looking 25.  Women, especially celebrity women, really can't win as they age.  They always do it wrong it seems.

Exactly! Damned if you do; damned if you don't. That is why I find it fascinating. ~30 years ago, I wrote my honors thesis for literature about the Politics of Beauty... It will never not be fascinating to me.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

No...! I've quite enjoyed the music & the reflection. I've only seen it piecemeal, but at times I was dancing in my living room! 💃🏾💃🏾💃🏾 The first hand Jackson family information, the lewks, the dance moves, the fashions--- soo hot at the time, lol! I think I will re-watch multiple times.

I think you will find it uplifting, with a nod towards: "everybody has stress in Life." 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

IMO, I believe this docu about Miss Jackson is more how she views events in her and her family's lives and/or how she wants others to view said events instead of  a guarantor of it being the whole truth and nothing but. Still, due to it recording her POVs, IMO it's somewhat valuable if not flawlessly sincere. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

She's not on a red carpet, though. I don't think anyone, celebrity or not, needs to be required to dye their hair, wear makeup, or put on a cashmere sweater to step outside their home to run errands simply to avoid being ridiculed or put down. 

I absolutely agree with you but I can also see why many would be surprised.  This is a very wealthy woman here.  It does seem unusual that she would let her hair go gray and not seem to care what she's wearing when she goes outside (TBH I thought her clothing looked fine though).  I mean totally good for her - she looks like a typical middle aged woman running errands.   Anyway I can understand thinking "wow I'd expect a rich woman to look like a rich woman" what I can't understand is "Hey why doesn't she look exactly like she did 25 years ago, what gives"!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Not to mention, how many famous men walk around looking like complete shit sometimes, and not only are they not ridiculed as hard, if it's some handsome, supposed sexiest man alive type, people still declare how hot they are. Whether or not they're walking around looking homeless.

Yeah I saw recent pictures of Jason Momoa, whom I do like, walking around on the property he is staying at in the world's holiest shirt (and I do not mean that in a religious context) and nobody said jackshit about how unkempt he looked. 

• Love 14

Also, I can think of a number of interviews in which female celebrities talk about how after having to spend so much time in makeup and designer clothes and heels with hair sprayed within an inch of its life for their jobs, they refuse to do so outside of the set with the added bonus that they might not be recognized as a result.

• Love 20
59 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

BTW, I have a neighbor who is quite wealthy, worth tens of millions.  Family owns a very successful business.  In the 30+ years I've known her, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen her dressed up.  She wears sweats and a tee shirt with sneakers almost everywhere she goes.  She stopped dying her hair years ago and pulls it back in a pony tail, wears no makeup except clear gloss which is a bit ironic considering the family money came from cosmetics.  Her only jewelry is a gold wedding band and some diamond studs which most people would think weren't real if they didn't know who she was.  Lots of wealthy people are not interested in clothes and makeup.

There is something about the very wealthy where they can afford to wear expensive clothes but they choose not to.  It's an known phenomenon.  The consciously choose to wear ratty clothes or super expensive plain looking clothes.   The Olsen twins are a great example of this.  Their clothing line The Row consists of expensive basic (and I mean basic) clothes with some pieces that verge on the bag lady aesthetic the twins have.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Momoa, as mentioned above, loves his ratty t-shirts and scuffed boots. No one is shocked about it. And he wore his first bespoke tux on the red carpet and said he feels like King Cinderella. Famous people, people with money, can dress however the fuck they want, just like everyone else. Sometimes like Cinderella at the ball, sometimes like Cinderella ready to clean out the fireplace. 

YES.

Again, Adam Sandler dresses like a frat boy who rolled out of bed, even though he's one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood. Will Ferrell is absolutely doing okay for himself, but for some reason can't afford to trim his fucking eyebrows. Johnny Depp used to be praised for wearing the same scuffed boots for years on the red carpet. This shitty double standard is so irritating.

13 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Jumpin’ Jesus on a pogo stick, the amount of flack this woman is getting for letting her hair go gray and wearing comfy clothes while walking her dog is disgusting. 

If men are allowed to let themselves go and look slovenly on their days off (or, hell, at work), then women should, too. Bridget Fonda hasn't acted in nearly 20 years, she is not obligated to look red carpet-ready 24/7.

Besides, there are women who let themselves go grey and look amazing (Shirley Jones, Rita Moreno, etc).

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
53 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There is something about the very wealthy where they can afford to wear expensive clothes but they choose not to.  It's an known phenomenon.  The consciously choose to wear ratty clothes or super expensive plain looking clothes.   The Olsen twins are a great example of this.  Their clothing line The Row consists of expensive basic (and I mean basic) clothes with some pieces that verge on the bag lady aesthetic the twins have.  

Yes a few years ago one of the wealthier ladies in my town--who always looks nice but hardly looks like she's rolling in the dough--was talking to me about this in reference to even wealthier people she worked with in her business. She basically told me, "Anyone you think has money probably doesn't. The ones who really have money drive old, beat-up cars and dress down." 

Granted, I live in a small town in a rural area, but the people here who donate significant amounts to our library and are the wealthiest people in town, by and large, are the ones who consider putting on a clean pair of overalls dressing up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Besides, there are women who let themselves go grey and look amazing (Shirley Jones, Rita Moreno, etc).

Women in their 80s who dye their gray hair get just as much crap as women in their 50s who don't.  To be fair though I think this is probably just as true for guys.  Maybe even more so.

• Love 5

I went a looked at that NY Post article with the pix of Bridget Fonda and others and it is really just low-class and tasteless.  The entire way it was framed was 100% with the intent to body shame.  Probably the only person who came out ok in that little tableau was Oprah.

In almost every case the "before" picture was some studio shot with the perfect lighting and/or make up while the "after" shot seemed specifically chosen to show the person at their most dressed down and casual.  Often in harsh natural light.  And a lot of the people they chose to showcase were visibly heavier than they were oh.... 30! years ago.  Heck, we have seen recent pictures of Tom Cruise and love or hate the guy, he looks great.  But even with him they found the worst picture at the worst angle to show.  And in the case where the person wasn't visibly heavier they found people with a noticeable amount of plastic surgery to highlight.

It is bad enough the industry they work in puts such a high premium on physical perfection, they shouldn't be shamed for not adhering that standard now that they are out out it or are older and so that their bodies are doing what bodies naturally do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20