Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

^ Exactly. How many people have children the traditional route and are awful, abusive monsters?  

Look no further than the Duggar thread (Counting On) for proof that going the traditional route doesn't make you a good, or even decent, parent.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Useful 3
  • Love 19
14 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Look no further than the Duggar thread (Counting On) for proof that going the traditional route doesn't make you a good, or even decent, parent.

And look no further than Joan Crawford for proof that adopting children doesn't necessarily make you a good, or even decent parent.

BOTH the above are extreme examples of poor and/or abusive parents but just because there are poor and abusive examples of parenting via either route doesn't mean ALL parents in the above categories MUST be poor and/or abusive parents. There are good and bad parents in all categories.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 18
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

And look no further than Joan Crawford for proof that adopting children doesn't necessarily make you a good, or even decent parent.

BOTH the above are extreme examples of poor and/or abusive parents but just because there are poor and abusive examples of parenting via either route doesn't mean ALL parents in the above categories MUST be poor and/or abusive parents. There are good and bad parents in all categories.

Absolutely 

• Love 5

When fans arrived at the gift shop, they were met with a member of Adele’s team, who had her on FaceTime to talk to fans. In Adele’s announcement video yesterday, she said, “half her team [was] down with COVID,” so she may be isolating after being exposed, leading to her FaceTiming fans instead of an in-person meet and greet. 

[...] Fans also picked up a gift from Adele that consisted of merch from the concert. 

https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/adele-facetime-fans-las-vegas-residency-apology.html

• Love 3

Albarn made this fatal mistake in a new interview with the Los Angeles Times while promoting a new solo record. After complaining that too many musicians today rely on “the sound and the attitude,” Albarn gave his two cents on Swift after the interviewer noted that she was “an excellent songwriter.” Albarn responded, “She doesn’t write her own songs.”

This, of course, is the quote that got tweeted out into the universe and landed right on Swift’s personal feed. “I was such a big fan of yours until I saw this,” Swift responded on Twitter, tagging Albarn directly. “I write ALL of my own songs. Your hot take is completely false and SO damaging. You don’t have to like my songs but it’s really fucked up to try and discredited my writing. WOW.” She followed up her response with a succinct post script: “PS I wrote this tweet all by myself in case you were wondering.”

Swifties quickly mobilized to defend her, including her frequent collaborator Jack Antonoff. And it didn’t take long for Albern to respond with a mea culpa. In his own tweet, the musician claimed his words had been “reduced to clickbait.” He continued, “I apologize unreservedly and unconditionally. The last thing I would want to do is discredit your songwriting. I hope you understand.”

Of course, as many Swifties have noted in their responses to Albarn, the rest of the interview is still pretty damning, and not even the Times paywall is enough to keep the entire Swift section from coming out. When the interviewer pushed back on Albarn’s assertion that Swift doesn’t write her own songs, insisting that she writes or co-writes all of them, he dismissed Swift even more aggressively. “That doesn’t count. I know what co-writing is. Co-writing is very different to writing,” he said. “I’m not hating on anybody, I’m just saying there’s a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes.” He never makes clear what that difference is, but he does make time to give a shout out to another young singer, saying, “A really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother.”

So, to be clear, he doesn’t like singer-songwriters who co-write songs, but he likes Eilish, who co-writes songs with … her brother. If I may be so bold as to offer this man some advice: Next time, just say you don’t like Taylor Swift music and leave it at that.

I love her but why even respond to the guy from Blur (a band I only know from Buzzcocks)? Who even is he? At least Alex James does other things. 

https://www.thecut.com/2022/01/taylor-swift-defends-her-songwriting-to-damon-albarn.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

He also created Gorillaz, the band that only exists in animation. My interpretation is he's defining co-writers as people who barely contribute or don't do much and still get a writing credit. I do think Taylor writes her own songs, because they're consistently clichéd and boring. Frankly, I don't know why she wins so may awards for songwriting when her lyrics are so trite.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

How tough would it have been for Mr. Albarn to have just said he wasn't a fan of Miss Swift's music because he didn't like it? 

Now via his claim that she doesn't write (or co-write) her own songs, it seems he could possibly have set himself up for a slander suit. 

Dumb move!

• Love 9

It's a particularly dumb take, because Netflix released a documentary just last year, which showed part of her song-writing process and it's clear she's very much the creative driver of her music.

But Albarn disappeared up his own arse somewhere in the early 2000s, so it's not too surprising he'd come out with something like this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, Blergh said:

How tough would it have been for Mr. Albarn to have just said he wasn't a fan of Miss Swift's music because he didn't like it? 

Probably approximately as difficult as it would be for her to not even bothering to respond at all.

• Love 2

I’m just laughing at someone trying to claim “clickbait” as a defense who clearly as no clue what clickbait actually is.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

He’s trying so hard to be above it all and an “artist” and he folds like a cheap suit with the slightest pushback. How long til he decries cancel culture. 

Beyond that I can’t agree that she should just not say anything. It would be fine if that is the approach she took but there is no reason why someone who has their entire career demeaned should just take it. Now if he had just said he didn’t like her music or she was a horrible songwriter it would be different but instead he is literally trying to strip away her accomplishments. Fuck that. 

Edited by Guest
22 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Probably approximately as difficult as it would be for her to not even bothering to respond at all.

That's quite a false equivalency between publicly making a spurious claim and publicly refuting that lie.

• Love 17

I am a fan of Albarn's music. I am quite disappointed in how he went about this. At best it seems to be an ignorant take. I barely even know many of Swift's songs but am well aware she has written most (maybe all?) of them. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

It's a particularly dumb take, because Netflix released a documentary just last year, which showed part of her song-writing process and it's clear she's very much the creative driver of her music.

Even worse is that he later praises Billie Eilish and her brother as a co-writing duo.  So he confuses his complaint.

My suspicion is that he was thinking about people like Beyonce who have, for years, been rumored to do contribute very little of "writing" her songs just to get co-writing/publishing credit on them.

But that's not Taylor Swift.

• Love 12

Now I am desperately trying to remember how that one Gorillaz song goes (you know, the the one that was popular like 10 years ago) but I cannot remember a bar of it. I could hum you Coldplay songs and I don't even like Coldplay.

9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think you're thinking of Clint Eastwood.

7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Either that or Feel Good Inc.

Both of which heavily feature contributions from non-Gorillaz members (Del the Funky Homosapien in the former, and De La Soul in the latter), such that Albarn is listed as a co-writer with the aforementioned artists on both songs (the lead co-writer, but still...)

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Dani said:

Beyond that I can’t agree that she should just not say anything. It would be fine if that is the approach she took but there is no reason why someone who has their entire career demeaned should just take it. Now if he had just said he didn’t like her music or she was a horrible songwriter it would be different but instead he is literally trying to strip away her accomplishments. Fuck that. 

For me it's not about taking it or not. It's about the fact that a comment from the guy who wrote Song 2 like 25 years ago is a relatively small story that would probably go away in like a day. But Taylor Swift responding to a comment from the guy who wrote Song 2 all of the sudden makes it a much bigger story because she is so much more famous. Which in the end gives his comments way more exposure than it would have had otherwise. 

Plus she literally wrote a song called Shake it off. Does she respond to YouTube comments as well?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

For me it's not about taking it or not. It's about the fact that a comment from the guy who wrote Song 2 like 25 years ago is a relatively small story that would probably go away in like a day. But Taylor Swift responding to a comment from the guy who wrote Song 2 all of the sudden makes it a much bigger story because she is so much more famous. Which in the end gives his comments way more exposure than it would have had otherwise. 

Plus she literally wrote a song called Shake it off. Does she respond to YouTube comments as well?

I think you are demonstrating why it needed response in general because I feel stupidly COMPELLED to point out that he didn't just write that one song, he wrote many for Blur and continues to be a very popular artist with Gorillaz now.  She is more famous, but not by as wide a margin as she would be to someone like... Howie Day or something.  (and I know, that is beside the point)

Not liking someone's work is fine, but he shouldn't have been trying so hard to sound smart when he didn't know what he was talking about.  And his apology was obviously not well thought out either.

Edited by ouinason
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Even worse is that he later praises Billie Eilish and her brother as a co-writing duo.  So he confuses his complaint.

I caught that too.  Maybe he just likes Eilish and doesn't like Swift. 

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's quite a false equivalency between publicly making a spurious claim and publicly refuting that lie.

Yes. I think she felt the need to respond because this wasn't just someone saying he didn't like her music. This was someone who was saying she wasn't actually writing her music. I would have responded too.

• Love 15

And, at this point, all Miss Swift has done is respond to Mr. Albarn's evidently false claim about her musical authorship. She hasn't actually said she plans to launch a slander suit against him for having made that claim.  FWIW, it would be her call whether or not to do so and I'd perfectly understand either way because, on the one hand doing so would almost certainly vindicate her in court and give pause to other performers NOT to attempt to repeat Mr. Albarn's claim but, OTOH, it would take up a great deal of her time and resources and wind up making a bunch of lawyers richer so she may decide that it wouldn't be worth the financial or energy expenditures. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Blergh said:

And, at this point, all Miss Swift has done is respond to Mr. Albarn's evidently false claim about her musical authorship.

Yes. It's not like she has gotten into a Twitter feud with insults being hurled back and forth. She simply set the record straight.  

38 minutes ago, Blergh said:

She hasn't actually said she plans to launch a slander suit against him for having made that claim.

I don't think she will.  He apologized, as lacking as it was,  which I think is all she wanted.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Still can’t agree. Why shouldn’t it become a bigger story? Assholes should be called on being assholes. That doesn’t mean she should get into a Twitter war but she didn’t. She didn’t attack him. She didn’t vaguely post in an transparent attempt to send her fans after him. Also, just because you don’t know doesn’t actually mean he is insignificant in the song writing world which she is a part of. 

3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is not even a remotely equivalent comparison. 

I think you are demonstrating why it needed response in general because I feel stupidly COMPELLED to point out that he didn't just write that one song, he wrote many for Blur and continues to be a very popular artist with Gorillaz now. 

I mean, I'm STILL like "sorry to this man..."

But I guess the fact that it was an interview in the LA Times and not Interview or even NME made it more of a call out. She wasn't just digging through her twitter mentions (though I suspect fans tweeting at her is sometimes how she finds out about things that upset her). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It wasn’t an opinion.  He stated categorically that she doesn’t write her own songs and being a co-writer means she didn’t do the work.  No opinion there. I don’t think she will bother suing him, but I am very happy she publicly corrected him. 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Taylor Swift won't sue him for slander because she doesn't have a case. 1) It's his opinion, and 2) she's a public figure. It doesn't meet the burden of proof for actual malice.

1) It’s not just his opinion when he is it literally saying “she doesn’t write her own songs.” That’s not an opinion. It’s a proven lie. For comparison he said that Adele is “insecure” and called her album “middle of the road”. That’s an opinion. 

2) Public figures can and do sue for slander. You can’t just make shit up about people because they are public figures. Actual malice is required but is defined as “with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of whether it was false or not.” So that he lied and that he knew he was lying. There is an argument to be made for both of those things. 

You are right that she wouldn’t have a case since she wasn’t damaged making it a moot point. 

Edited by Guest
Edited to be clearer
On 1/24/2022 at 6:32 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

My interpretation is he's defining co-writers as people who barely contribute or don't do much and still get a writing credit. I do think Taylor writes her own songs, because they're consistently clichéd and boring. Frankly, I don't know why she wins so may awards for songwriting when her lyrics are so trite.

A lot of people don't seem to know that Taylor's first contract was as a songwriter, not a singer. Singing came afterward.

Swift relocated to Nashville, Tennessee, at the age of 14 to pursue a career in country music. She signed a songwriting deal with Sony/ATV Music Publishing in 2004 and a recording deal with Big Machine Records in 2005

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Legally, it's still an opinion. I've spent two years watching LawTwitter discuss the case of a semi famous voice actor who tried suing for defamation with many, many lawyers explaining the definition of actual malice. They were right every time. Had he said something like "Taylor Swift is a drug dealer" that would be actionable. He can believe she doesn't write her own songs, and that's not a lie.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ouinason said:

I think you are demonstrating why it needed response in general because I feel stupidly COMPELLED to point out that he didn't just write that one song, he wrote many for Blur and continues to be a very popular artist with Gorillaz now.

Yes, everyone keeps minimizing it (on Twitter ) by saying "the only thing he's ever done was write Song 2 and that was decades ago so shut up" and it's irritating me. Albarn made a stupid comment but Blur have done a hell of a lot more than "Song 2". They weren't huge in America but they were massive in the UK and have consistently put out good work and have aged a lot better than Oasis, who were their big rival. That's just my opinion. I really like Blur. :)

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

His concern is not spreading disease it's deliberately spreading misinformation about a disease.   Apparently for proft.

I don't trust the people that "debunk" Joe Rogan anymore than I trust Joe Rogan. So many cable news networks are sponsored by Pfizer, so can't trust them.  Those COVID vaccines created 9 new billionaires who have immunity from prosecution. At least the polio vaccine was funded in part by the non profit March of Dimes, and it was before the drug companies got the blanket immunity from adverse side effects from vaccines. Every few months a "conspiracy theory" turns out not to be a total crock. Recently, a study came out that the mRNA vaccines actually did effect menstrual cycle. Now, I don't think it will effect fertility in a negative way, but it was shitty of MSM to call people experiencing that side effect lunatics. 

Bottom line is that Joe Rogan's opposition has an even bigger monetary incentive to get rid of Joe Rogan than Joe Rogan has to spread "misinformation."

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Legally, it's still an opinion. I've spent two years watching LawTwitter discuss the case of a semi famous voice actor who tried suing for defamation with many, many lawyers explaining the definition of actual malice. They were right every time. Had he said something like "Taylor Swift is a drug dealer" that would be actionable. He can believe she doesn't write her own songs, and that's not a lie.

Yeah, I was going to say, I know nothing about the legality of slander, but a lie and a mistake are not the same thing. I really doubt he knew for a fact how her music gets made. The guy was just making an assumption, which means he should have just kept his mouth shut about what he thought she does.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Yeah, I was going to say, I know nothing about the legality of slander, but a lie and a mistake are not the same thing.

Yeah.  I think any lawsuit would have to prove he knew that she wrote her songs but made the claim that she didn't anyway.

• Love 3

For comparison he said that Adele is “insecure” and called her album “middle of the road”. 

Wow. Truly solidifying my decision to almost entirely ignore his genre of white guy rock. If I'm picking a recent-ish UK band, I'll go with the Kaiser Chiefs. 

• Love 6

Reminder: This is a thread for celebrity news.  Discussion about COVID need to be limited only to celebrities.  Posts that go off on non-celebrity tangents or into the personal view territory will be removed.

And, as always, the Politics Policy applies here, as it does in all other threads and forums on this site.

• Love 6

No way this is going to go well for her if it happens

Britney Spears' Dad Jamie Wants Her to Sit for Deposition

Sources with knowledge tell TMZ, the proposed deposition of Britney Spears would be wide-ranging. As you know, Britney leveled numerous allegations against Jamie during the court hearing in June ... claiming her dad refused to let her get married and have a baby. She also said she was held against her will in a treatment facility. We're told those issues will be part of the depo.

I don't see her calmly answering questions her father's lawyer asks her.

• Love 4

A Virginia man was arrested on Thursday for drunkenly crashing his car into Taylor Swift’s Manhattan building and attempting to get inside, cops said.

Morgan Mank, 31, of Ashburn, was charged with DWI after a witness said he drove the wrong way on Franklin Street and ran into a residential building on the cobblestone street, near Hudson Street, at 3:15 a.m., according to the police.

Swift owns a townhouse at 153 Franklin Street, near Hudson, and three units in the building next door at 155 Franklin Street.

Mank ripped the intercom off the façade of 155 Franklin while “mumbling” about Swift, TMZ reported.

Two days earlier, he tweeted at Swift’s account, calling her “insane” and suggesting that she get her “s— together.”

Swift, 32, wrote about the incidents in an essay for Elle in 2019.

“You get enough stalkers trying to break into your house and you kind of start prepping for bad things,” she wrote.

“Every day I try to remind myself of the good in the world, the love I’ve witnessed, and the faith I have in humanity. We have to live bravely in order to truly feel alive, and that means not being ruled by our greatest fears.”

It was unclear if Swift was home, and no one was injured.

Mank was hospitalized for “evaluation,” police said.

Did we miss this one? Yikes...

https://pagesix.com/2022/01/27/virginia-man-crashes-car-into-taylor-swifts-tribeca-building-cops/