Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I'm a fan of the show, but I don't really have a horse in this race.  I thought Richards did a perfectly fine job as a guest host and I had no objection to him being named as the permanent replacement.  Even when Alex was alive, I tuned in for the questions and the contestants.  That said, I do wonder what would happen if every one of the guest hosts underwent the scrutiny that Richards has been subjected to.  I feel fairly certain that something could be found in the past of every single one of them that the internet mob would find objectionable.  Richards might be the devil incarnate for all I know, but the lengths that some are going to in order to find ways to discredit him are truly amazing to watch. 

That's the perk of going with someone who has had a more public gig than Jeopardy host - the internet mob will have already done their research. 

And it's not just saying or doing stupid and offensive stuff.  What gets a lot of people is the perception that he used his EP powers to rig the search in his favor.  Most people believe in  fairness (or at least a credible illusion of it) and will raise a ruckus if it's broken.  Of course, others will sneer and call then naive fools, but that's another issue.

• Love 10

Ugh, so distressing. The guy who initially seemed bland and boring but acceptable might be the reason I give up a decades-long TV habit. I just don't think I want to watch him. Way to go, J!

• Love 4

I'm in the camp that found him to be too schlocky, fake and game show host-y, but I resigned myself to accepting that he was the new host and we were stuck with him.  But this Ringer article?  No way can this guy be allowed to host our show, to host Alex's show.  No way.  I hope the drum beat becomes so loud that he's forced to step down or Sony is forced to step in and ditch him.

• Love 15

The author of The Ringer article, Claire McNear, has more in this twitter thread:

(She also wrote Answers in the Form of Questions: A Definitive History and Insider's Guide to Jeopardy! which I've been meaning to read.)

Book cover for "Answers in the Form of Questions: A Definitive History and Insider's Guide to Jeopardy!" by Claire McNear

• Useful 6
  • Love 3

Did they not do a background check or did they just not care? Those quotes from his podcast were gross. His apology his laughable almost a decade ago? He was in his late-ish thirties old enough to know better not some teenager making distasteful jokes for his buddies. 

I thought his hosting was unremarkable and no way did I think he was the best for the job or should have the job.

If what they said in the ringer article are true and he did get to pick what episodes were chosen for the focus groups he definitely should have not been on the running for the job. 

I love Jeopardy but I don't think I can watch if he is the host and that makes me sad.

• Love 7

I just don't think it's true that "anyone who got vetted would have gross stuff discovered about them". We have plenty of gross people around, and I'm glad to see them held accountable. But we also have lots of people under public scrutiny without being found to be terrible. 

No one is perfect, but there are still some standards of ethics and decency, some lines that should not be crossed. And those who cross them need to be held accountable and find ways to genuinely address their errors and not just try to handwave it all and convince the world it doesn't matter.

I am cynical enough to think that most people don't care and this won't affect the ratings. But I do hope that I'm wrong, and the show is forced to choose someone else.

• Love 23
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In a few moments NBC's Today show will be covering the Mike Richards scandal
--but then who isn't? 
Good thing Alex is not seeing or hearing this
--I hope.

The story also made Canadian national news last night. So it must be as bad a scandal as we think it is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Mike Richards is stepping down! 

"I was deeply honored to be asked to host the syndicated show and was thrilled by the opportunity to expand my role. However, over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show," Richards said in a statement.

"As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately. As a result, we will be canceling production today," he added.

They will continue having guest hosts while looking for a replacement.

Maybe this means Alex’s pick will finally get a chance. OR BRAD!

• Love 8
Just now, 30 Helens said:

Mike Richards is stepping down! 

They will continue having guest hosts while looking for a replacement.

Maybe this means Alex’s pick will finally get a chance. OR BRAD!

please be Brad or even Buzzy and not Ken

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

OMG! Our emails made a difference!!

I am pleased but surprised that they made this correct move.

Hah! emails may have been a straw on the camel's back, but kudos go to Claire McNear's research and journalistic prose: to https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/22631299/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-search-process-past-comments

But, this??? https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-fired-1235045394

But the studio also voiced support for him remaining in his role as executive producer. 

1 minute ago, shantown said:

I mean, I guess it makes sense that he won't quit two jobs at once, but it still sucks that he'll continue with the show in any form

Makes zero sense to me unless just the "at once" part, i.e., that he will resign as EP tomorrow or Monday.

• Love 9

I am incredibly relieved that the correct decision was made! 

And I've surprised myself by being okay with Buzzy hosting.  Although it might be a good time to let the one-week guests have another shot?

• Love 7

I have to speak up that although I very much liked Buzzy, my first choice is still Ken.  I think he handles himself well, and has the right amount of personality (ie, not overshadowing the contestants or the game itself) but clearly is in control and keeps the game moving.  I also like his sense of humor.

Also for what it's worth, since I'm on a binge here, I very much disliked LeVar (although I will always be grateful  for Reading Rainbow), I thought he was pretty bad, and also didn't like Mayim, and not just because of those awful commercials.

I don't think any of the guest hosts or others mentioned give off anywhere near the sense of decency that Alex (and Mr. Rogers, of course) did.  

• Love 14

I wonder if some potential candidates (Ken, in particular) are so busy with their own projects that a permanent job on Jeopardy is not a possibility for them.

I did like Mayim on her first shows.  She did get more and more giggly as her weeks progressed.  Buzzy was also a viable candidate.  As much as I wanted LeVar Burton to succeed, he seemed really awkward as guest host, but he would probably win an American Idol style vote in a landslide.  

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm sure that LeVar Burton will be making his pitch again.  I hope they don't go with him.  He was one of the absolute worst guest hosts.

He was, unfortunately. I think he just choked, because he wanted the job so badly. And he didn't have a second week to restart and refresh.

I think he could be good if he wasn't so anxious about the job.

• Love 3

I must admit that while I like Levar Burton, he did a less than stellar job as host.  But he only had a week, and there has been speculation that he did not benefit from editing.

Could they not just pick someone else already?  All I can think of is that they have to start taping for the new season and it will take time to get contracts done.

• Love 5
Just now, 3 is enough said:

I must admit that while I like Levar Burton, he did a less than stellar job as host.  But he only had a week, and there has been speculation that he did not benefit from editing.

Could they not just pick someone else already?  All I can think of is that they have to start taping for the new season and it will take time to get contracts done.

They did say there was another close contender (if we are to believe that at this point). Though if it was true, it was probably Mayim.  But yeah, it seems to me that they could/should choose from the guest hosts we spent watching for half a year. Or at least, start there and see if there are any takers.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

He was, unfortunately. I think he just choked, because he wanted the job so badly. And he didn't have a second week to restart and refresh.

I think he could be good if he wasn't so anxious about the job.

Agreed... he just came across as so desperate.  It's obvious that he really wants the job and he acted like he was so desperate to prove to everyone he was the right choice.  It was obvious that he failed badly at that.

I saw that he tweeted "Happy Friday!" moments after Mike Richards stepped down.  It's like he is saying "I told you so, you should have picked ME!"  Yeah, real classy.  Mike is still one of the producers so I would assume he would still have some say in the final selection.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

My main problem with Richards was how shady it was how he got the job.  People were always going to side-eye Richards being elevated to host when he was just OK compared to Buzzy, the CNBC guy, Miyam Bialik and, even, Joe Buck imo.

I don't mind any of the favorites.  LeVar probably can improve, he's a professional with 40 plus years of onscreen experience.  Ken has said some dumb shit, but he is well liked by a good portion of the Jeopardy fan base.  While they're figuring things out, they should go ahead and give Laura Coates an opportunity to guest host if she's up to it.

Yeah, real classy.  Mike is still one of the producers so I would assume he would still have some say in the final selection.

I'm not going to get too upset LeVar being snarky towards Mike "host of the Randumb podcast" Richards.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I saw that he tweeted "Happy Friday!" moments after Mike Richards stepped down.  It's like he is saying "I told you so, you should have picked ME!"  Yeah, real classy.  Mike is still one of the producers so I would assume he would still have some say in the final selection.

Nah.  He does that every Friday.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Wow, just randomly looked at the notifications on my tablet (which I rarely do at work) and saw "Mike Richards quits!" So of course I came right here.

1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

I have to speak up that although I very much liked Buzzy, my first choice is still Ken.  I think he handles himself well, and has the right amount of personality (ie, not overshadowing the contestants or the game itself) but clearly is in control and keeps the game moving.  I also like his sense of humor.

Also for what it's worth, since I'm on a binge here, I very much disliked LeVar (although I will always be grateful  for Reading Rainbow), I thought he was pretty bad, and also didn't like Mayim, and not just because of those awful commercials.

I don't think any of the guest hosts or others mentioned give off anywhere near the sense of decency that Alex (and Mr. Rogers, of course) did.  

I wouldn't mind Ken but I think of the guests we saw, I'd put Buzzy first. Would still like to see Brad get a shot. (I do wonder which of the guest hosts were both truly interested in and actually available to do it.)

Mayim has some questionable views on a few subjects, apparently. There would be a backlash if they picked her for the main show, though it probably wouldn't be as bad. My biggest issues with her as host were just her constant giggling at every response and reminding us that she's a "neuroscientist" (who, as far as I know, does nothing in the field of neuroscience beyond shilling for a questionable brain supplement; personally, I don't think that counts as "being a neuroscientist"... she's an actor with an advanced degree. I know someone who has a biology degree but he doesn't call himself a biologist, because he doesn't work in a field remotely relevant to said degree). She can be downright obnoxious on her podcast, too (the main reason I stopped listening to it). I don't know if I will be watching the primetime specials whenever they roll around. (Maybe I'll give it a shot and see if she tones things down.)

Also hated LeVar as host. Sorry LeVar fans. I feel like the people arguing loudest for him are not actual J! viewers and just like him for nostalgic reasons (I have no nostalgic ties; I was a little too old for RR, not a Star Trek fan, and Roots came out when I was two). 

48 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

They did say there was another close contender (if we are to believe that at this point). Though if it was true, it was probably Mayim.  

Please no.

37 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

My main problem with Richards was how shady it was how he got the job.  People were always going to side-eye Richards being elevated to host 

Yeah, I was fine with him before I knew anything about his past. As host, he did a respectable job.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7

Apparently they started taping yesterday.  What happens to those episodes?  They can't throw out the episodes-that's totally unfair to the contestants.  

I suppose they can air them and edit out the inevitable "I'm so happy to be the new host" speech from Mike. They can change the intro to have Johnny Gilbert call him the guest host.   

• Love 6

LeVar Burton got just one day of taping. So he was excited and nervous his first time out for his dream job, eh. I think he would've done fine the next day, seeing as how he's been in show biz forever. Give him another day of taping like the other guest hosts got and let's see. Give the ones that Alex Trebek himself suggested shots too.

Glad to see Mike Richards's plotting blow up in his face.

• Love 18
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

No one is perfect, but there are still some standards of ethics and decency, some lines that should not be crossed. And those who cross them need to be held accountable and find ways to genuinely address their errors and not just try to handwave it all and convince the world it doesn't matter.

I agreed with this entire post, but this section especially.  I would add that, in my opinion, it's not just what was said, although that was bad enough!  That he felt emboldened to say it on the premises of his employer and publish it to the world indicates a true measure of his character, and a self-perceived insulation from consequences that puts an employer at risk.

I have certainly made a cruel or bigoted comment in my lifetime, or treated someone who deserved better badly.  I would express regret if asked about these actions, but more importantly have striven to do better.  If they were for some reason exposed in the future, I don't believe that recurrence could be shown.  After Mike claimed that the "Price is Right" lawsuits didn't reflect who he is, the dozen or more comments reported from his podcast showed us exactly who he is, and that he hadn't changed.

I might add that his attempts to distance himself from these comments made "several years ago," or whatever he said, were pitiful.  I think they were in 2014, weren't they?  He was nearly 40.  Give me a break.  I'm thrilled to see the back of him.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 11

LeVar's not the only one who only had one day of taping, though. The others who only did a week of games were still better (IMO). So many people seem to think he deserves it just because he wants it so badly, regardless of his performance. Could he get better? Probably. Have we already seen better options? I would say yes.  

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

LeVar's not the only one who only had one day of taping, though. The others who only did a week of games were still better (IMO). So many people seem to think he deserves it just because he wants it so badly, regardless of his performance. Could he get better? Probably. Have we already seen better options? I would say yes.  

I wish him well but I think I've seen all I care to of LeVar on this show.  I think the "wild card" factor is the perception among some, and I have admitted to curiosity on this point, that he did not benefit from editing as generous as other "candidates" did.

One of the contestants from his week responded to this point on Reddit.  She said that LeVar seemed ill at ease all day, and that there were many retakes / slowdowns / etc.  In other words, they did the best they could, she claims.

I don't consider this dispositive, because this player didn't see how things went with any of the other guests, and it was reported that taping went into the night for several of them.  And I do find it hard to believe that LeVar had three or four big screwups more than anyone else did all season.

But as I said above, I think we have seen the extent of LeVar's abilities and that he just isn't the right host for this show.  I disliked things about him that editing wouldn't have fixed, including after his self-assessed improvement.  I have to stop myself from asking, when I see friends or friends of friends continuing to suggest him on Facebook, whether they actually saw his week.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Apparently they started taping yesterday.  What happens to those episodes?  They can't throw out the episodes-that's totally unfair to the contestants.  

I suppose they can air them and edit out the inevitable "I'm so happy to be the new host" speech from Mike. They can change the intro to have Johnny Gilbert call him the guest host.   

Probably the most likely way to go. If they taped one day, that's one week of shows. At least it's not changing hosts mid-week.

I'd rather they just appoint one "interim host" instead of another "round of guest hosts" (as the Variety article put it), though, if they really can't decide on someone permanent yet.

3 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I wish him well but I think I've seen all I care to of LeVar on this show.

Agreed.

• Love 5

One of the things I disliked most about Mike before his long pattern of disparaging comments about so many groups was that nothing about him evinced underlying interest in seeking knowledge, trivia, and so on.  When one of the comments reported by Claire McNear confirmed my impression, I was hardly surprised.  It's probably naive to expect Sony to consider this, but I sincerely hope that the next host is someone who could be taken seriously as that dying breed, a public intellectual.

Since they are going to do guest hosts again, hopefully with clearer communication to the public about their intentions, I would be interested in seeing Laura Coates or Ben Mankiewicz, both of whom Alex named worthy of consideration at one time or another.  And maybe diversify a bit.  As I said months ago, perhaps an author or musicians?  Doris Kearns Goodwin and Yo-Yo Ma both have struck me as telegenic, for instance.  It has been implied that most of the guests were heavily edited anyway.  Reduce the stakes, declare it's all for fun, and bring in more different types of people from civic life.  I'm sure it would be perceived as partisan, but while I'm spitballing, why not Jill Biden, who has continued teaching as First Lady?

I'd also really like to see someone with PBS' news operations, since I believe we got someone from each of the "big three" networks.  I find them pretty scrupulously fair and would like to think they would be agreeable to most viewers.  Judy Woodruff, the NewsHour's wonderful anchor, is maybe a bit dry for it.  Amna Nawaz, their chief correspondent, seems like she could do it well, and so do a few of their other people.  I'd love to see any of them.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6

I didn’t really hate any of the guest hosts (except Joe Buck; watched half of Monday’s then skipped ahead to Friday’s. And took a pass on all of Dr. Oz) but none of them really grabbed me as the right fit, either. 

But I think that’s going to be a problem with any host that the audience gets to evaluate in advance. There will lots of mixed opinions, and nobody will quite measure up to Alex. I think they should just pick someone relatively unknown and just get on with it. Someone with hosting experience, but without an already polarized fan base. But allowing the audience to watch the “auditions” just invites the kind of criticism that has already led to so much dissension.

• Love 5

I didn’t hate Mayim, but I didn’t love her either. I preferred others. Not being a Mayim fan seems to be an unpopular opinion. Does Mayim even want the full time gig? I believe her new sitcom got picked up for another season. Wouldn’t that interfere with the possible Jeopardy taping?

I love Lavar Burton, but unfortunately didn’t like him as host of Jeopardy for the reasons others have already said. I wouldn’t mind Buzzy (I cannot believe I am saying that, because I found him so annoying as a contestant). I also, would not mind Ken either. I really enjoyed Aaron Rodgers, who I am sure is far too busy with his actual career to do a full time Jeopardy gig. I did like Joe Buck too. Ultimately I will still be watching unless the possible new host is either a horrible person or horrible at the job. For the most part, I didn’t think any of the guest hosts were terrible. I just preferred some over others. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

David Faber was great and he only had one day of taping too.  The other argument that is floating around is that Levar's episodes aired during the Olympics when many stations pre-empted Jeopardy, but that happened to Faber as well. 

If they want to give Levar another week or two as guest host to see if he can settle in a bit more I have no issue with it.  But if he doesn't improve he doesn't deserve the job. 

• Love 5

Not shocking news at all.  I was initially surprised that they were going back to guest hosts, but as mentioned elsewhere, contract negotiations coupled with the season starting in less than a month gives them no choice.  Just hope it's not too long since the process was somewhat of a joke

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I think they should just pick someone relatively unknown and just get on with it. Someone with hosting experience, but without an already polarized fan base. But allowing the audience to watch the “auditions” just invites the kind of criticism that has already led to so much dissension.

Agreed. At this point I feel like it shouldn't be anyone we've seen as a guest (except maybe Ken or Buzzy, who are already part of the J! "family").

• Love 3

Wow, great news about Richards stepping down. With everything AND MORE coming out about what kind of person he really is (and no, I do NOT believe "everyone" has skeletons as some have said here), I'm relieved Sony has done the right thing. Because you know Richards didn't "step down" voluntarily. Well, at least I don't think so.

Not looking forward to more "guest hosts," but maybe that has to be done while any contracts are being negotiated. I liked several of the guests, including Joe Buck who made me laugh when he said Matt Amodio had a crewcut when he started on the show. But my personal favorite is Buzzy, not that it matters to anyone besides me. I would, however, be highly disappointed if LeVar Burton was selected. I'm with @853fisher about getting someone intellectual as host. 

Interesting that Richards has taped one day, making a full week of episodes, then a new host yet to be chosen. That will make HOW many hosts Matt has met, if he makes it through Richards' week. That's a record I hope is never broken!

That Richards remains as executive producer is still a big major problem though. Hopefully, Sony takes care of that too. But ... contracts, lawyers, lawsuits ... we'll see.

• Love 7

Yeah, it'll be kind of difficult for Mike to remain as EP.  The thing is if he doesn't get the hosting job, he remains the EP going forward without a doubt.  Richards is very bland as a host, sort just there and total meh.  However, he turned things around at TPIR.  While that credit has recently gone to others, he's better behind the scenes instead of in front of a camera.  Plus, he was a showrunner.

Burton and a second chance?  I'm all for that.  He's not getting the job but I think he deserves another shot to prove that he's capable to host the show and do a pretty fair enough job as a guest host

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

The other argument that is floating around is that Levar's episodes aired during the Olympics when many stations pre-empted Jeopardy, but that happened to Faber as well.

This page shows that only 24% of households have J! on an NBC affiliate in their market, compared to 41% on ABC, 23% on CBS, 7% on FOX, and 5% on independent stations.  I believe NBC is the exclusive American home of the Olympics, so 76% of the country was not affected by these preemptions.

14 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Does Mayim even want the full time gig? I believe her new sitcom got picked up for another season. Wouldn’t that interfere with the possible Jeopardy taping?

It was said in the press, albeit not by her, that she could not commit to the full-time gig because of her other jobs.

• Love 4

Ugh!  Will this host drama never end?  Just pick somebody.  No more celebrity guest hosts or former players.  Don't let the viewing public believe they are witnessing auditions or that they have a vote in who gets the job.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I'd also really like to see someone with PBS' news operations, since I believe we got someone from each of the "big three" networks.

That just makes me sad because I think Gwen Ifill may have been a good choice to guest host. :(

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Carey said:

Yeah, it'll be kind of difficult for Mike to remain as EP.  The thing is if he doesn't get the hosting job, he remains the EP going forward without a doubt.  Richards is very bland as a host, sort just there and total meh.  However, he turned things around at TPIR.  While that credit has recently gone to others, he's better behind the scenes instead of in front of a camera.  Plus, he was a showrunner.

Burton and a second chance?  I'm all for that.  He's not getting the job but I think he deserves another shot to prove that he's capable to host the show and do a pretty fair enough job as a guest host

Since he’s staying on as EP he can be put in charge of the pencil sharpener until his contract expires.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2