Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

He was fine.  All of them were fine.  I'm starting to wish Jeopardy! had never done this guest host program as it invites viewers to judge the hosts, even the ones who did not want the job.  Just name a new host and move on.

• Love 14

As someone with pretty severe tinnitus that effects my hearing, I did not mind Joe Buck's voice, but I can imagine my younger self turning down the volume. His enunciation was pretty close to flawless, which counts a lot for me.

But just reading his Wikipedia page indicates that he is a loose cannon, so, no, not permanent Jeopardy! material under any circumstances.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

He won't. This is Joe Buck. What you see is what you get. 😏

I heard him as a guest on a podcast a while back (don't even remember which one, but it's the only reason I recognized his name when it showed up on the list of guest hosts) and there wasn't anything noteworthy that stuck in my mind about him. I missed last night's show so I'm interested to see what I think tonight after hearing various people's opinions of his first game.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought he was adequate today. I don't know him; I can't judge based on his day job, but, jeez, he was a lot better than Burton.

I don't know anything about him, but if he's a regular commentator, then he'd be more comfortable from the get go. As all the professional presenters were. I didn't know, when the show started, that he was a sports guy, but I looked it up. Then his tone of voice made sense. He did okay.

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

As someone with pretty severe tinnitus that effects my hearing, I did not mind Joe Buck's voice, but I can imagine my younger self turning down the volume. His enunciation was pretty close to flawless, which counts a lot for me.

But just reading his Wikipedia page indicates that he is a loose cannon, so, no, not permanent Jeopardy! material under any circumstances.

Ah, Shapeshifter, my commiserations. I too have bad tinnitus. I absolutely hate the now common sound effect of high pitched ringing in TV shows and movies to indicate stress (or whatever).

• Love 1

Possibilities, I thought the same thing about his voice.  I don't watch baseball, so was not familiar with him, and while he kept the game moving, his voice is the wrong type for Jeopardy.  It is "shouty" and sports announcer friendly.  I also thought he was treating Matt as a winning contender with his encouraging remarks.  I am feeling sorry for all of the people who have appeared on the shows with Matt.  He gets to go first (rules), runs through all of the $1000 clues and proceeds to clear the board except for a few questions.  All the other 2 contestants can do is stand there like props.  Once he clears the big amounts and hits the daily doubles, there's no way he can be caught and all he has to bet at the end is $1 to win.  I don't dislike him, but I do wish they would make a rule that full names on answers must be given.  I'm not sure how well he would do if that were the case.   Maybe they should have all of Matt's opponents back to compete among themselves after his run is over - lol.        

Edited by laredhead
added content
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I don't watch baseball, so was not familiar with him, and while he kept the game moving, his voice is the wrong type for Jeopardy.  It is "shouty" and sports announcer friendly.  I also thought he was treating Matt as a winning contender with his encouraging remarks.

Yes, that does explain Joe Buck's tone of voice and his approach in general. Jeopardy! is a competition, so he is in his sports announcer mode. 
Maybe Joe Buck is a one-note guy who would always host Jeopardy! with that tone and cadence, but since his "week" is taped in just 2 days (right?) I doubt we'll ever know.

In contrast, Aaron Rodgers (a sports player) shared that he had watched many hours of Jeopardy! to prepare for his hosting role, which I thought showed, especially in the way he translated Alex's charm with the contestants and viewers.

But I am not a follower of sports in general, so others may know better.

7 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I don't dislike him, but I do wish they would make a rule that full names on answers must be given.  I'm not sure how well he would do if that were the case.    

I too often wish Matt would give more than a last name for some of his responses, but I am sure Matt would do just as well if full names were required. His method is one of economy of effort and mental resources, which also serves to keep up the pace and clear the board. So, if names are required, he'd give them; if not, he won't. Simple. 

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, Shapeshifter, my commiserations. I too have bad tinnitus. I absolutely hate the now common sound effect of high pitched ringing in TV shows and movies to indicate stress (or whatever).

There's high pitched ringing other than the constant ringing in my ears I have tuned out (except at this moment when we're talking about it)? Interesting. I must be tuning it out too --maybe it's in the same pitch range.
I am so grateful to those who have made captions available! 
Fortunately on Jeopardy I have trained myself not to read them too soon.

• Love 4
On 8/8/2021 at 9:37 PM, 30 Helens said:

Yes, but the firing happened shortly after Richards got the job, which is why he was involved in the suit.

I’m not saying he did anything wrong, it’s just another thing that adds to the controversy.

Controversy fanned by people who post about the lawsuits without giving two critical pieces of additional context:

• In the age discrimination suit, the complainant alleges that the discrimination started several years before Richards got there. And Richards was not named as a defendant.
  • In one of the two “Price is Right” lawsuits, a judge dismissed Richards as the co-defendant, because the focus of the complaint was an incident that involved another producer on the show.

I don’t know this guy and he’s not my first choice to host the show, but I do question those who are soiling his reputation without posting all the facts. Some of the stories out there, like the one written by the Daily Beast, are downright disgusting (“Jeopardy’s New Hosting Frontrunner Has A Dark Past”)

Drew Carey and another colleague tweeted support for Richards:

”I need to speak up for @MRichTV and his time at TPIR. Every TPIR model since I started got pregnant and he built whole season arcs celebrating them. We even had Baby Shower shows for crying out loud. They weren’t even allowed to talk to me before Mike came on the show.”

”Yes…all of this! I worked with Mike for 13 years and I couldn’t have asked for a better producing partner. He was beyond supportive both during and after my pregnancy, which as a new mom meant the world to me. It’s not easy juggling both and he was always empathetic.”

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Drew Carey and another colleague tweeted support for Richards:

”I need to speak up for @MRichTV and his time at TPIR. Every TPIR model since I started got pregnant and he built whole season arcs celebrating them. We even had Baby Shower shows for crying out loud. They weren’t even allowed to talk to me before Mike came on the show.”

”Yes…all of this! I worked with Mike for 13 years and I couldn’t have asked for a better producing partner. He was beyond supportive both during and after my pregnancy, which as a new mom meant the world to me. It’s not easy juggling both and he was always empathetic.”

Rachel Reynolds, another Price is Right model, has chimed in too with positive memories:

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

There's high pitched ringing other than the constant ringing in my ears I have tuned out (except at this moment when we're talking about it)? Interesting. I must be tuning it out too --maybe it's in the same pitch range.

They like to do it after explosions, while showing the point of view of the character whose ears are ringing from the blast. Drives me crazy. You'd think it wouldn't bother me because I hear ringing all the time, I should be used to it, but it has the opposite effect. When it's coming from inside my head, it doesn't bother me most of the time, but when it's coming from outside, I'll cover my ears or sometimes mute the TV. Movie theaters are the worst.

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I don’t know this guy and he’s not my first choice to host the show, but I do question those who are soiling his reputation without posting all the facts. Some of the stories out there, like the one written by the Daily Beast, are downright disgusting (“Jeopardy’s New Hosting Frontrunner Has A Dark Past”)

It's hard to know what to take with a grain of salt and what is more serious. Some of the links I've seen are more tabloid-type sites than news, and I assume we're not getting all the details. I had never even heard of him before he did his little tribute right after Alex died. I don't follow the behind-the-scenes stuff. I figure they're gonna pick who they pick and there's not much I can do about it.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I am glad to see support for Mike Richards from the people who would really know what happened.  I still want Buzzy to be the new host.

Who knows? Maybe Mike will do it for a year and then pass on the Jeopardy! host torch?
I realize TPTB have clearly stated they were looking for a long term host, but, realistically: A lot can happen in 20 years --or less.

• Love 3

So, Mike likes pregnant women. Does that discount anything else he might do wrong? I don't really take much stock in "he never did it TO ME" as a defense. 

If the allegations against him are false, I need more evidence than "he chooses his targets and pregnant women aren't among them." Whenever there's an allegation, there will be people who say they're shocked to hear it, they never saw that themselves. So what? Who cares? You don't have to be terrible to everyone in order for your terribleness to matter.

Again, maybe he's innocent. But I don't see testimony from people who he didn't target as any kind of evidence for that conclusion.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

since his "week" is taped in just 2 days (right?)

One.  There's a rehearsal the day before, but taping day is five games.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In contrast, Aaron Rodgers (a sports player) shared that he had watched many hours of Jeopardy! to prepare for his hosting role

So did Joe Buck.  Maybe not as many hours, as Rodgers has always been particularly meticulous in that way, but Buck talked about watching old episodes specifically to prepare, as opposed to just watching as a fan like he's always done.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I am so grateful to those who have made captions available! 
Fortunately on Jeopardy I have trained myself not to read them too soon.

I love closed captioning - and it's occasionally the source for amusement, as well as being helpful.

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They like to do it after explosions, while showing the point of view of the character whose ears are ringing from the blast. Drives me crazy. You'd think it wouldn't bother me because I hear ringing all the time, I should be used to it, but it has the opposite effect. When it's coming from inside my head, it doesn't bother me most of the time, but when it's coming from outside, I'll cover my ears or sometimes mute the TV. Movie theaters are the worst.

That's me too - somehow it harmonizes or intensifies my own ringing and it's almost unbearable.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

So, Mike likes pregnant women. Does that discount anything else he might do wrong? I don't really take much stock in "he never did it TO ME" as a defense. 

If the allegations against him are false, I need more evidence than "he chooses his targets and pregnant women aren't among them." Whenever there's an allegation, there will be people who say they're shocked to hear it, they never saw that themselves. So what? Who cares? You don't have to be terrible to everyone in order for your terribleness to matter.

Again, maybe he's innocent. But I don't see testimony from people who he didn't target as any kind of evidence for that conclusion.

I absolutely agree that the "he didn't do it to me" defense isn't any kind of defense. The allegations do bother me.

However, if he is innocent, then there's no way he can really prove it. You can't prove a negative (I didn't do it). 

Just go with Buzzy already. That's my solution.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I absolutely agree that the "he didn't do it to me" defense isn't any kind of defense. The allegations do bother me.

But I thought the allegations were, 'I was harassed by people but he wasn't one of them.'  That's not the same as 'he harasses people but I wasn't one of them.'

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It looks like Mike & Mayim both are getting the gig:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9884489/Jeopardy-announce-Mike-Richards-Mayim-Bialik-new-hosts-iconic-quiz-show.html

After months of speculation, Jeopardy! has officially announced two new hosts that will take over from the late Alex Trebek.

Executive producer Mike Richards, as expected, will be the main host of the iconic daytime quiz show.

However, in a surprise twist, Sony Pictures Television have also announced that The Big Bang Theory star Mayim Bialik will be a second host in charge of new spin-off versions set for primetime. 

Edited by Gemma Violet
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

What do they mean by "spin-off"?  Are the tournaments considered spin-offs? 

It would appear that they are going to turn the tournaments into prime time events on ABC hosted by Mayim. Seem like trying to appease the many who think allowing Richards to choose himself sucks. 

Mayim's "role will include hosting a new college championship tournament set to air next year on ABC" (nytimes.com/2021/08/11/arts/television/jeopardy-mike-richards-mayim-bialik-new-hosts.html).

See also: people.com/tv/mike-richards-named-permanent-jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik-hosting-spinoffs

Mayim was not my first pick either, but, as I mentioned upthread, there is no guarantee that either of them will stick with it for 20 years. Maybe TPTB recognized this and that was behind the concept of 2 hosts --so if one steps away it will be less disruptive.

Am I thrilled? No.  Am I surprised? No. Well, maybe about Mayim. 

I will still watch.  I love the game and for me it is all about the contestants and the clues.  

I just hope that when the new season starts they just focus on the game. Alex is gone and they have been honoring him for the whole season.  Time to turn the page.

And who knows, if the ratings tank maybe the producers will rethink their decision.

• Love 12
On 8/8/2021 at 9:05 AM, ams1001 said:

I was hoping Brad would get a guest spot, too. He's an obvious choice if they were looking at former players. I wonder if he didn't want it.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:12 PM, secnarf said:

Personally I would prefer Brad Rutter, but doesn't look like he was ever in the running, and didn't end up guest hosting.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, 30 Helens said:

Personally, I’m still holding out unrealistic hopes for Brad Rutter. 

Guess there is little chance for Brad at this point, huh? :)

Quite bummed he never got a shot. Based on what I've seen on The Chase, he would have been interesting to at least see in the role. 

• Love 9

I can't help but think that Richards got the job because of some old boys network BS. (Not that he's old.)

I have extreme doubts about the "he only guest hosted as a last minute replacement for someone else" story, too.

If he's the one they wanted all along, they should have just announced that he was the replacement after Alex passed, instead of pretending that they were going to give it to the best guest host.

• Love 10

I wonder if Brad and James had some sort of non compete agreement written into their contracts on The Chase?  Ken jumped in right after Alex died, but his episodes were taped before The Chase premiered in January, and he was already employed by Jeopardy in some sort of production role.  Just a thought.

• Love 3

Eh. No one was going to measure up to Alex, regardless. At least not for awhile.

The allegations about Mike make me uneasy, but I’m not going to jump to conclusions. He could be a perfectly decent guy. And I thought he did a fine job of hosting, so I will give him a chance. I also thought Mayim was good, so no problem there. 

I will give them time and hope for the best. 

4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I wonder if Brad and James had some sort of non compete agreement written into their contracts on The Chase?  

I, too, assumed this was probably the case. But if The Chase crashes and burns, I will still hold out pie-in-the-sky hopes that Mike Richards gets pushed aside in favor of Brad. (I know. Never gonna happen.)

• Love 6

Mike was my least favorite option so I’m not thrilled. It feels like the basic white guy who always seems to leapfrog over women and people of color. So not thrilled. 

I love Joe Buck! I guess it’s a small club. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I couldn't watch it because my browser does not like the Daily Mail (not that I blame it), but what the heck was that video of her from her bed??

2 hours ago, Roaster said:

After Mike & Mayim have worn out their welcome, who will be the next permanent host?  I saw this on another website (not my idea), but it is a good idea: Jimmy McGuire.  He's part of the Jeopardy! family, knows the game and show inside out, and is comfortable on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYSQuSqleU

I like Jimmy. Doesn't he play host for the practice rounds? (Pretty sure someone said that here.)

Sounds like Mayim's thing will be a limited-time tournament...are they planning to do more special prime-time tournaments? Wonder if they will still have the regular college tournament (or will the winner of this special thing be eligible for the Tournament of Champions? Hope they're not moving all tournaments to prime time...). Not sure I will watch in prime time, anyway. Will depend on what it's up against, probably. (And possibly whether Mayim reins in the giggling.)

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Daily Mail (not that I blame it), but what the heck was that video of her from her bed??

2 hours ago, Roaster said:

She did an IGlive when she found out the news was trending on Twitter. She mentioned she would be doing a spin-off and multiple specials. 

Beyond Richards' past or my preferences, it's so unsavory to me that they chose their failed game show host executive producer as the next host.  It wouldn't come as a shock to me if it turned out there was an informal deal that Richards would get the gig whenever Alex left.

• Love 3

The show is mainly about the questions for me but a bad host can really spoil the experience. Richards was just so...generic. At best, he'll fade into the background and let the contestants and clues be the show, at worst I'll find something else to do at 7.

• Love 8

I don't really understand why so many people seem to think that the guest hosts were performing some kind of audition for the permanent job.  I never saw it presented that way at all.  Besides, all (or nearly all) have other jobs that would likely preclude them from taking the gig.  I thought it was a stop gap measure to keep the show going from the time of Alex's passing until a new host could be named.  And it raised some money for worthwhile charities to boot!

As for Richards, he'll do fine.  He wasn't necessarily my first choice, but he did a perfectly respectable job, and its probably for the best to have somebody who really knows the ins and outs of the show.  As for the "scandals," -- I used to work in liability litigation (not a lawyer) and I can attest that people can sue anybody for anything.  The overwhelming majority of claims are without merit.  Is that to say that these claims didn't have merit?  Not necessarily.  I honestly have no idea and I doubt anyone other than the parties involved do either. But I've seen enough unsubstantiated accusations to always look at these kind of things a little sideways.  (And, trust me, settling is very much a matter of convenience and expense and in no way represents any sort of "justice.")  

• Love 13
On 8/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, Roaster said:

He was fine.  All of them were fine.  I'm starting to wish Jeopardy! had never done this guest host program as it invites viewers to judge the hosts, even the ones who did not want the job.  Just name a new host and move on.

The mistake they made was having viewers think that they had some sort of say in it.  It was never my understanding , regardless of what they said that the public was going to choose, and for the most part I have enjoyed watching other people fulfill what was probably a dream to be on the show.  

I've said many times this was not a try out for all, because some of them clearly are way too busy already to add Jeopardy.  If I had the chance to do it as a fan- as I am sure many of them were- I probably would have too. 

Levar could have read the room...if he contacted them when there was just talk Alex' retiring to let them know he was interested and they did not reach out to him about guest hosting when Alex passed away  ( until a fan push) then he was never in contention.   Really I don't many of the latter people were. 

I am fine with not having a say in who they chose. Whomever chosen was bound to have said or done something that someone didn't like, or they wouldn't like the way they speak or how they dress.  Alex  was always going to be a tough act to follow. 

Regarding MR specifically nothing I have read is conclusive evidence that he has done anything wrong....BUT...it is not my job to judge  him.  He is competent at the job and hopefully will grow more into it. 

Although I liked Alex as a host, I did not know him personally.  It is very possible he may have said, done or believed something that I did not approve of , but again, my job was to enjoy him on the show.  Alex worked with (or for? )Mike in some capacity and obviously didn't have a problem with that.  I am sure he could have found or was aware of the same information people are upset about now.  I'd like to think that if he had such an impact that TPTB would never appoint someone that they felt Alex would have conflict with. 

Jeopardy for me is more than the host,  There would have to be a very serious crime that I would think would warrant disqualifying someone.  It should be noted that some current and former employees have supported him.  Barring video/audio evidence, I always say no one really knows what happened. 

A giggle, a bad dress, bad hair, or "diction," did not stop some of these people from being good or showing potential.  

Sorry to see some of you go over this decision, but I understand.   We shall truly miss you. 

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 4

Joe Buck does have the perfect voice and cadence for a sports announcer, and should not give up the career, but I would be fine with him filling in on Jeopardy! on occasion, especially since TPTB are already setting up a precedent of having a different host for "specials," and, also, especially since Mayim did a kind of acceptance speech video from her bed with many mentions of having a headache. 
I have had migraines for over 60 years, and worked with the public--including in front of classes-- for over 20 years, I and can't ever recall announcing to the group that I had a headache, so Mayim doing it repeatedly on video for millions to see and hear was a little jarring.
Plus, my daughter bought me 2 books about using mind control to vanquish pain that my daughter heard Mayim tout on a podcast. "Physician heal thyself"??
It's a valid technique, and one of many I employ to get through life, but I do still have sciatica and need to not do physical things to make it worse, regardless of thought control.
Anyway, Mayim may not be on Dr. Oz level of quackiness, but she lost my support once I realized how far out on that limb she was, both with her mind vitamin advertising and her book recommendations.

I'm hoping both Jeopardy! host positions might be open to change if either doesn't live up to audience expectations/ratings.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I don't really understand why so many people seem to think that the guest hosts were performing some kind of audition for the permanent job.  I never saw it presented that way at all.

Maybe, but they knew people thought the guest hosts were auditioning and Jeopardy wasn't going to correct the record because hype.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I have had migraines for over 60 years, and worked with the public--including in front of classes-- for over 20 years, I and can't ever recall announcing to the group that I had a headache, so Mayim doing it repeatedly on video for millions to see and hear was a little jarring.

She doesn't seem averse to sharing her business with the world. (Tried to watch the video again in a different browser but that one hated the page even more.) She gets a little out there on her podcast, too. I did a lot of eye rolling before I finally decided it wasn't worth the aggravation.

• Love 2

I wasn't big on either of them but Mayim's commercials are increasing and making me dislike her.  I know the product is just taking advantage but I've actually started switching channels till I think they're off.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I don't really understand why so many people seem to think that the guest hosts were performing some kind of audition for the permanent job.

Well, for one thing, Mike Richards himself gave that impression, way back in February.

Q: Any sense of when you would like to settle on a permanent replacement? Would that be someone you'd introduce next season?  

Richards: Perhaps sooner. We’re going to look at the guest hosts, we want to see how the community reacts, how people feel. I felt it was very important to not choose someone right away, because we are all still mourning Alex, we all still miss him. Whoever we put in that role would have been in an unwinnable war, so that’s the reason for the direction that we’ve taken. My guess is it’s going to be the end of this season or the summer when we’re going to make that announcement. That decision hasn’t been made. It’s not like I’ve got the person and I'm just holding them back. We’re legitimately looking at some of these (guest hosts), and some of them are just there for charity and to show their love of the game. ("Jeopardy!" will match contestants’ winnings and donates them to the charity of the celebrity hosts’ choosing.)

• Love 12