Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

I like Robin a lot, but then I've seen her on a lot of different newsy shows over the years, so she feels familiar and comfortable to me, and, frankly, not unlike Alex.
And, if they want to check off diversity boxes, she does pretty much all of them, but, even though I think that's a worthwhile consideration, that is not why I like her. 

I'm holding my final evaluation on LeVar until the end of the week. His "shouty" bits didn't bother me, because his voice and cadence have a very warm quality to me.

And, of course, I enjoy Aaron Rodgers. When I read that he had finally gone back to is team and settled the contract dispute, I thought: Oh. The Jeopardy deciders must have made a decision and it's not him. But then I read that it's a short contract, so, who knows?🤷🏼‍♀️

I think they have always known who it would be and these were not try outs. If so it would not be fair to give some six weeks, others two weeks and then one.  The ones coming at the end with one week and towards summer vacation would for sure have more to overcome. Sorry for Levar as he really wants it and does not have other jobs like some. There is no way some of them wanted this full time. Was Alex serious when he said Laura Coates? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I think they have always known who it would be and these were not try outs. If so it would not be fair to give some six weeks, others two weeks and then one.  The ones coming at the end with one week and towards summer vacation would for sure have more to overcome.

Good points, but Aaron Rodgers and LeVar Burton both said publicly that they hoped to be "picked." 

Sorry for Levar as he really wants it and does not have other jobs like some.

From recent interviews, I think LaVar has plenty of projects without Jeopardy! It was just that he was ready to put the others on the back burner or pass their torches onto someone else if he had the opportunity to host Jeopardy! 
Whenever I was on hiring committees, I always thought the person who wants the job the most should get it because they will care the most about doing the job well, but I had no clout, and I don't think anyone ever considered that concept seriously when I brought it up. So, what do I know? Not much about hiring selection processes. 

Was Alex serious when he said Laura Coates? 

And I had never heard of Laura Coates or read this^ until just now looking at her Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Coates 

Okay. I'll stop speculating now, but sure, she seems fine for the job if she wants it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Meredith would almost certainly be amazing on Jeopardy - smart, warm, and polished. But she’s already got a daily syndicated gameshow and is probably not contractually available. Also, she’s 67, and my guess is the producers will go younger.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Meredith would almost certainly be amazing on Jeopardy - smart, warm, and polished. But she’s already got a daily syndicated gameshow and is probably not contractually available. Also, she’s 67, and my guess is the producers will go younger.

Yeah, I thought of that.  But her current show is pretty lame!  And she is so much better than that.  

My fave female guest host was Mayim Bialek,  

My fave male guest hosts were Anderson Cooper and George Stephanopoulos,  I'm pretty sure neither will be giving up their day jobs for the gig.

I also liked Ken Jennings, after a while, and Mike Richards wasn't too bad.  He has game show hosting and producing experience.  

After two shows, I'm still not feeling Levar Burton.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Now I feel old. Though apparently not quite as old as Meredith.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I've always liked LeVar Burton and I like him here. I enjoyed Aaron Rodgers too but my first choice for the new host of Jeopardy! is Buzzy Cohen.

I still think it's going to be Ken though. 

• Love 10
On 7/28/2021 at 2:49 PM, shapeshifter said:

And I had never heard of Laura Coates or read this^ until just now looking at her Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Coates 

Not another CNN talking head.  Please.  Let's get away from the 'news' people.  Just because they are talking heads on TV, that doesn't mean they have the personality or smarts to host Jeopardy.  

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Not another CNN talking head.  Please.  Let's get away from the 'news' people.  Just because they are talking heads on TV, that doesn't mean they have the personality or smarts to host Jeopardy.  

That was Alex's pick so apparently he thought she was qualified

• Love 5

I'm pulling for Mike Richards or Buzzy.

Several years ago Ken Jennings made some very questionable twitter remarks and I haven't liked him since. If he becomes the permanent host I'll be looking for a new game show to watch. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

Several years ago Ken Jennings made some very questionable twitter remarks and I haven't liked him since. If he becomes the permanent host I'll be looking for a new game show to watch. 

Agreed.  100%.  The twitter remarks were clearly made by someone finally able to sit at the cool kids lunch table and by God, he was gonna be one of them.  He was rude and mean for no reason other than he could be.

I thought Levar's run was sub-par.  There was too much shouting and a couple of times a much too long wait to hear whether the answer was right or not, like we were watching Who Wants to Be A Millionaire or something.  I am team Aaron Rodgers, but would be happy with Buzzy as well.  There were a few hosts who would cause me to stop watching the show (Jennings, Anderson Cooper, Dr. Oz) but for the most part, I'll probably suck it up and try to like whomever they choose though I doubt it will remain 'must watch TV.'

• Love 5
(edited)

I like Levar Burton well enough but I don't think he did a good job as host.  Too shouty and too often seemed to be talking to children, no doubt a holdover from Reading Rainbow which I never watched.

I've been team Buzzy from the start but I doubt I'll stop watching even if they choose someone I don't particularly like. For me, the game has always been about me vs the clues.  I don't even concern myself about contestants too much.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 8
(edited)

When hiring someone for a job, it's not possible to tell who is going to "grow into" the position. It's possible that whoever is the next "permanent" host of Jeopardy! might only last a year or two or three. 

OTOH, it's possible that whoever is getting the job will "grow into" the role and become less "shouty" or whatever flaw we noticed.
Like, Sanjay could get some new suits. 🙂

And I'm assuming if the choice isn't great, they can be replaced.

Robin Roberts is still my first pick, but looking at the list right below, I see there are quite a few others that should be fine.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
(edited)

And here's a list in case anyone wants to see it:

Ken Jennings hosted for 6 weeks.
The next 10 hosts each had 2 weeks.
The last 5 hosts each had 1 week.

• Ken Jennings: January 11 - February 19 (6 weeks)
  • Mike Richards: February 22 - March 5 (2 weeks)
  • Katie Couric: March 8 - March 19 (2 weeks)
  • Dr. Oz: March 22 - April 2 (2 weeks) 
  • Aaron Rodgers: April 5 - April 16 (2 weeks)
  • Anderson Cooper: April 19 - April 30 (2 weeks)
  • Bill Whitaker: May 3 - May 14 (2 weeks)
  • Buzzy Cohen: May 17 - May 28 (2 weeks)
  • Mayim Bialik: May 31 - June 11 (2 weeks)
  • Savannah Guthrie: June 14 - June 25 (2 weeks)
  • Dr. Sanjay Gupta: June 28 - July 9 (2 weeks)
  • George Stephanopoulos: July 12 - July 16 (1 week)
  • Robin Roberts: July 19 - July 23 (1 week)
  • LeVar Burton: July 26 - July 30 (1 week)
  • David Faber: August 2 - August 6 (1 week)
  • Joe Buck: August 9 - August 13 (1 week)
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

The Ken Jennings period went on too long.

The only person on that list I really don't want to get the job is Ken Jennings.  (I know a lot of people around here like him.)  But realistically, people with jobs (Aaron Roger, Savannah Guthrie) aren't going to get it.  And my preference remains: someone we don't know right now and who didn't guest host.  Not a celebrity.  A show business (and game show) professional, maybe who has done work in local markets or under the radar on syndicated shows.  Let that person grow into the role, even if the fans object at first.  (No matter who they pick, a portion of the fanbase will object.)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I've been team Buzzy from the start but I doubt I'll stop watching even if they choose someone I don't particularly like. For me, the game has always been about me vs the clues.  I don't even concern myself about contestants too much.

I haven't been Buzzy from the start (depending on where you count the start - if it's when he started as a guest host, then yes, I guess I have). Ken's still my second choice. But like you, for me it's about me answering the clues. I have trouble remembering contestants' names, except for those in there for the long haul. And even then...

6 minutes ago, Roaster said:

(No matter who they pick, a portion of the fanbase will object.)

I may have different choices, but I definitely agree that whoever they pick, there will be kvetching.

• Love 5

I think the only reason Ken hosted for 6 or 7 weeks is because the timing of Alex’s death came as a bit of a surprise. Of course, they all knew the day would come, but just not as suddenly as it did.  He was taping 10 days before he passed, after all.

So they were scrambling, and Ken, who was employed by the show, and honestly, very familiar with how everything works, stepped in. And let’s not forget his 6 week run was taped over a two week period. But that gave the producers time figure out what to do and to get their guest hosts lined up.

I think they have made their choice and are already taping but will wait until the season ends to announce.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ken Jennings hosted for 7 weeks.
The next 10 hosts each had 2 weeks.
The last 5 hosts each had 1 week.

• Ken Jennings: January 4 - February 19 (7 weeks)
  •  

Ken Jennings began hosting on January 11. I'm not sure what aired during the week of January 4 (maybe it was a collection of Alex's favorite episodes), but I specifically remember Ken Jennings doing only six weeks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

Ken Jennings began hosting on January 11. I'm not sure what aired during the week of January 4 (maybe it was a collection of Alex's favorite episodes), but I specifically remember Ken Jennings doing only six weeks.

I thought it was 6 weeks too, but according to:   
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule   
and: 
ftw.usatoday.com/gallery/jeopardy-guest-hosts-schedule-dates-who-list 

But I’ll change it because:   
jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I'm not sure what aired during the week of January 4

I believe that was the last of the Alex episodes (originally scheduled to air Dec 21-25, it was moved to Jan 4-8 (with two weeks of "Alex's favorites" during the holidays).

• Love 3

I am not familiar with David Faber but I'm so happy LeVar is gone. His shouting of "YES! CORRECT!!!" was wearing, and his clumsy cadence when reading the clues was off putting, as was his tendency to open his eyes so wide he reminded me of Marty Feldman. I wouldn't criticize him at all except his insistence that he would be the best and only choice to replace Alex rubbed me the wrong way. Even without that personality flaw of thinking he's the best, I grade him at the bottom of all guest hosts so far, even below Dr. Oz. You, Mr. Burton, are no Alex Trebek.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

It's only been a few minutes, and David Faber may be my fave guest host. Maybe.

He was great today.  He's so natural.  Unless he screws up the rest of the week, he's my choice now. No one is more surprised than I am.  Is he a serious contender?  

• Love 5

I thought David did a great job. Somehow I doubt he is a serious contender since he is on CNBC from Monday - Friday.  Given that he is based in New York and his job is covering the markets I can’t see him spending  2 weeks a month in LA taping Jeopardy. Certainly can’t see his bosses at CNBC bring ok with that.

I am familiar with him- my husband likes to keep track of the markets and most days CNBC is on our tv.  I thought he would do a good job and I am not surprised.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I thought David did a great job. Somehow I doubt he is a serious contender since he is on CNBC from Monday - Friday.  Given that he is based in New York and his job is covering the markets I can’t see him spending  2 weeks a month in LA taping Jeopardy. Certainly can’t see his bosses at CNBC bring ok with that.

I am familiar with him- my husband likes to keep track of the markets and mist days CNBC is on our tv.  I thought he would do a good job and I am not surprised.

I don't get cable and I find financials tedious, so I was not familiar with David Faber, but he has a great track record, according to Wikipedia: wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Faber_(CNBC)

It seems he could call his own shots at this point in his career, but I doubt hosting Jeopardy full time permanently is something he'd want to do. But he'd be a great fill-in, go-to person.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Just finished watching tonight's episode, as it's been airing at 10 p.m. in my market during the Olympics. (I actually like it!) This is my first time ever seeing David Faber and I have to say he was very impressive. Surprisingly smooth, especially for his first attempt. He was very good during the contestant interviews, which is where I've found several of the other guest hosts lacking and somewhat stilted. It's the one area involving small talk and not everyone is comfortable with that. (The other guest host I thought was very good at it was Sanjay Gupta.)  I believe he'd make a very competent host.

But, I'm still hoping they'll choose Buzzy. What can I say? The heart wants what it wants. 😄

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Shouldn't a decision be officially announced soon? Depending on how far in advance they tape, I guess. New season should probably start after Labor Day?

The very earliest I would expect an announcement is the end of Friday the 13th (yeah) after the last guest host has completed their run.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The very earliest I would expect an announcement is the end of Friday the 13th (yeah) after the last guest host has completed their run.

Ok, good to know!Thanks!

I'd never heard of David Faber, but I thought he did a nice job.  At the end of the episode, I realized I hadn't thought much about his hosting skills at all because he just blended in nicely and wasn't obtrusive to the game.  

Poor Levar, I felt for the guy.  He was clearly thrilled to be there and wanted to do well, but yikes.  He turned out to be just a step above Dr. Oz for me.  I'm sure Ken will probably get the job, and that's okay with me, but I'd be tickled to see Mayim or Buzzy win out.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I'd never heard of David Faber, but I thought he did a nice job.  At the end of the episode, I realized I hadn't thought much about his hosting skills at all because he just blended in nicely and wasn't obtrusive to the game.  

Poor Levar, I felt for the guy.  He was clearly thrilled to be there and wanted to do well, but yikes.  He turned out to be just a step above Dr. Oz for me.  I'm sure Ken will probably get the job, and that's okay with me, but I'd be tickled to see Mayim or Buzzy win out.

This seems to be the consensus, but I found Buzzy and Mayim to be only a notch below LeVar in terms of obtrusiveness/overly enthusiastic/trying too hard.

ETA from Yahoo News: 
"‘Jeopardy!’ viewers don’t know who guest host David Faber is, but they love him anyway" (yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-viewers-dont-know-who-guest-host-david-faber-is-but-they-love-him-anyway-052213420.html)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This seems to be the consensus, but I found Buzzy and Mayim to be only a notch below LeVar in terms of obtrusiveness/overly enthusiastic/trying too hard.

I liked both Buzzy and Mayim,and David Faber is smooth, there's no denying.

But what I really like about Buzzy (and Ken for that matter) is that they have a lot of experience as contestants as well. I thought that added a little extra to both of their runs, and I'd like to see that dynamic going forward. Most of the other hosts participated in Celebrity Jeopardy, but that doesn't really compare to Ken and Buzzy's experience.

That being said, I will watch Jeopardy in any case. I might have to grit my teeth a little (though there's only one or two hosts who would make me do that), but I'll continue to enjoy it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Mike Richards considered the front runner, and in "advanced negotiations" to become permanent host. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-1235034673/

(remembers having had often considered whom I had believed to have had been the Mike Richards mentioned in the article at this address to had been a favorite a mine for the role of host mentioned in the article (along with whom I had believed to have had been a certain LeVar Burton))*

(*thoughts expressed in the form of a narrative)

Edited by Mario500
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, pennben said:

His game show resume looks a lot like Alex’s resume before Jeopardy. I like that they apparently focused on hosting ability over celebrity or fan favorite factor—-assuming report to be true. 

You know what, I think I gotta agree here.  Mike Richards may not be a guy that would have me go out of my way to watch Jeopardy!  However, between him and everyone else, he has a qualifying gameshow background.

I've heard a lot from sports media saying Aaron Rodgers would be the outright best choice.  That doesn't count for me.  He was good, but a lot of those folks aren't that bright & knowledgeable when it comes to the gameshow world.  Say what you will about Ken Jennings.  If you know me, you'd know that I couldn't care less about how he may or may not have rubbed people the wrong way.  One side is all-in for Mr. Jennings, and the other side will die before watching the show with him there.  Man, that middle section is super perfect for me.  Though I can see it both ways.

Anyway, it's not official until it is.  Looks like Ken isn't the guy.  The fact is, whenever it comes to these things, the obvious or definitive choice pretty much never gets the job.  Ken was that guy.

Sure Jennings has the knowledge, background, and history of Jeopardy!  He is an employee.  Plus, he has added to his gameshow resume.  Mike Richards had the task of being the showrunner on probably the most accomplished network TV gameshow for over a decade in TPIR.  During that time, he had a very short run as a Pyramid host.  Mike took over from Bob & Roger in terms of running TPIR during a dark period.  It was not pretty early on, but it appears he revived it to where it's very decent in the Drew era.

Finally, in terms of hosting, Alex might have an edge on Richards as it relates to people's lives prior to hosting Jeopardy!

• Love 1

Oops, @Carey , literally added an eta to my post while you were responding.  I have some concerns now & want to make sure it doesn’t look like you ignored eta in your post. 
why must all things suck these days!!!??

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pennben said:

His game show resume looks a lot like Alex’s resume before Jeopardy. I like that they apparently focused on hosting ability over celebrity or fan favorite factor—-assuming report to be true. 
ETA: This trial balloon may already be leaking:  Model Sues Price Is Right Producers for Sexual Harrassment.

The judge presiding over that case dismissed Richards as a defendant about a month before the plaintiff settled the suit with the remaining defendants.

• Love 1