Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

I'm not a hardcore viewer, but even I was rubbed the wrong way that they did this huge search and then ended up hiring someone already working there. I'm like, why did they even bother? I was pulling for Mayim Bialik from what little I've seen of the guest hosts, personally. I thought her image from The Big Bang Theory made it a natural fit, too.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Trey said:

Since any host we get won't be perfect and also won't be liked by everyone, my son has suggested that they do a computer generated host.  At least he (or she)  it wouldn't have any baggage.

That got me thinking, and I came up with a hologram of Alex Trebek as host.

IBM's Watson computer was the greatest player of all time.  A lot of people say they want the host to fade into the background.  Nothing fades better than a faceless computer.

Also Watson probably doesn't have any Twitter history that will bring him down.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Roaster said:

IBM's Watson computer was the greatest player of all time.  A lot of people say they want the host to fade into the background.  Nothing fades better than a faceless computer.

Also Watson probably doesn't have any Twitter history that will bring him down.

But how does Watson pronounce "Genre" ?

• LOL 18
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm pretending that Seth f'in' MacFarlane is copying my style of beginning such social media posts with "Dear" SoAndSo. 

Dear Jeopardy people:
No!

Dear Twitterverse,
Stop it!

• LOL 5
  • Love 14

I'm still hoping for David Faber but I just want this whole thing over with. The longer they do it, the longer Trebek's shadow and mythology grows.

About the only way I won't watch is if they hire Joe Buck but even he said that he wouldn't take it as he has too many things happening.

If they really want to make things interesting, use some of the runner up contestantsto Matt Amodio try out to host.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, Bastet said:
On 8/20/2021 at 7:13 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

If a contestant comes on showing cleavage (BOOBIES!), will the judging be more lenient? 

Only if the boobies are the only fat cell repositories on her body; it is clear he thinks overweight people, especially women, are unworthy.

I'm repeating myself, but I remain uneasy about him/J! hiring a professional casting agency to help find contestants.

• Love 4

This article in the Hollywood Reporter puts forth an interesting theory: What if the evil geniuses at Sony put up Mike Richards as a sacrificial lamb (or “sacrificial bland”, as the author puts it) to deflect criticism of the eventual real successor? I don’t really believe it, and I don’t think the author does either, but it’s a fun read for those who enjoy a good conspiracy theory.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mike-richards-jeopardy-hosting-debacle-critics-notebook-1235000610/

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

This article in the Hollywood Reporter puts forth an interesting theory: What if the evil geniuses at Sony put up Mike Richards as a sacrificial lamb (or “sacrificial bland”, as the author puts it) to deflect criticism of the eventual real successor? I don’t really believe it, and I don’t think the author does either, but it’s a fun read for those who enjoy a good conspiracy theory.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mike-richards-jeopardy-hosting-debacle-critics-notebook-1235000610/

Even if it wasn’t all on purpose, the effect is still:

…No longer does the classified ad need read, “Must Replace Most Beloved Canadian in History.”   
Instead, it’s something closer to “For Sale: Jeopardy! Replacement Host Shoes. Barely Worn.”

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

sacrificial bland

I love it.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Even if it wasn’t all on purpose, the effect is still:

…No longer does the classified ad need read, “Must Replace Most Beloved Canadian in History.”   
Instead, it’s something closer to “For Sale: Jeopardy! Replacement Host Shoes. Barely Worn.”

LOL.

• Love 2

For Pete's sake, in this whole search (as in any job search), there had to have been a runner-up when TPTB were making their decision. And if the runner-up was really Mayim Bialik, and for some reason she can't do the "regular" show, then there had to be someone in third place. Just proceed to the next person already.

But I'm thankful they did the right thing re: Mike Richards. "When someone shows you who they are, believe them." This is Jeopardy, after all, an American institution - and they can do better.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Dear Jeopardy people:
No!

Dear Twitterverse,
Stop it!

Levar Burton sucked. I don’t understand why people continue to want him to do it. He was such a random person to begin with. Why does he of all people have such crazy fans? Is it all from Star Trek? That was so long ago…

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, rubaco said:

For Pete's sake, in this whole search (as in any job search), there had to have been a runner-up when TPTB were making their decision. And if the runner-up was really Mayim Bialik, and for some reason she can't do the "regular" show, then there had to be someone in third place. Just proceed to the next person already.

Good point! 
(having been involved in this process on both sides of the table more times than I can recall)
The only reasons I can think for them not doing this is because...

1. ...of concern for fragile egos (or public images to maintain) of show biz types? 
    (e.g.: "Hey, SomeVIP, we're looking at the also-rans...")
  2. ...the original candidates were not really viable since the process was rigged by MR for MR to get the host job (Mayim not being available for the "full time" position might suggest this)
  3. ...right now as we type, behind the scenes TPTB are in negotiation with the Third Runner Up or Mr/Ms Congeniality.

If it's the number 3 reason, let's hope "TPTB" at Jeopardy! do not include MR
--at least not for purposes of choosing/hiring a new host.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Levar Burton sucked. I don’t understand why people continue to want him to do it. He was such a random person to begin with. Why does he of all people have such crazy fans? Is it all from Star Trek? That was so long ago…

More like Reading Rainbow - my adult children are still very fond of him. As am I, from Star Trek, Reading Rainbow, and Perception. Though I don't think he should be the Jeopardy host - even if I did think he could have used two "weeks" to settle in and be better.

• Love 2

Here's PrimeTimer's well-curated bits from the plethora of articles about MR's fall and what it signifies for Jeopardy!'s future:
primetimer.com/item/The-Mike-Richards-debacle-reveals-Jeopardy-is-facing-an-quot-existential-crisis-quot-NXSB29
--a taste of the worthwhile quotes include: 

My 2 disagreements are with:

1. the assumptions about what the viewers want just because they're "old." I mean, aren't we the frickin' Woodstock generation? Our parents are not --for the most part-- around any more.

2. "the 5 best" after MR linked at the end of the article.
    For example, Ken Jennings's ableist Tweet is not now going to be swept under the rug that MR has caused to be effectively hung out on the public clothesline.
    And I was surprised at how well the unknowns (to me) did, like David Faber and Joe Buck. I sense "the 5 best" list was composed by someone who did not watch all the guest hosts, or perhaps only watched a few minutes of each.
Edited by shapeshifter
missing quotes
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

"the 5 best" after MR linked at the end of the article.

Including Mayim Bialik:

The fact that Bialik is a neuroscientist lent a level of credibility to her position as a guest host. 

The ads in which she uses her degree to shill for a questionable brain supplement that ran while she was hosting suggest otherwise to me (never mind her other questionable views on various medical topics which her neuroscience degree does not make her an expert on).

She was also smooth and polished at the podium, likely thanks to her years of acting experience. 

and her constant giggling doesn't say "smooth and polished" in my mind, either. I sincerely don't understand the number of comments I've seen saying how "wonderful" she was. (She was decently competent at keeping the game going, which is the most important thing in the host, I will give her that. But man, she was annoying and distracted me from the game.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

There is a fairly large contingent on Twitter who feel that Jeopardy's next host should be a POC, and Levar is it, mainly because of his Reading Rainbow work. Never mind that he just didn't do that well in the role.  I'm all for giving him a second week to see if he does better, but if he doesn't improve then he just doesn't deserve it. I just want the best person for the job. Period.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 7

Wow! I had no idea Boomers were so stodgy.  If J! appeals only to the AARP crowd, how come the contestants are so young?  What a dumb premise.  Besides, we're too old to know LeVar from Reading Rainbow, so just WHO are all those people clamoring for him.

And, no, LeVar is not a good candidate.  He might be the most beloved actor in all of history, but he just didn't have the chops to host. His shoutiness and sounding like he was reading to little kids rules him out, no matter whether he had screw-ups or not.

Yeah, a POC would be nice, but only if they fit the job.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 10

My 2 disagreements are with:

1. the assumptions about what the viewers want just because they're "old." I mean, aren't we the frickin' Woodstock generation? Our parents are not --for the most part-- around any more.

This so very much. I refer to us as the Vietnam generation, myself. Which is even more indicative of our general attitudes. (as always, there were those of us with many different beliefs).

And speaking of our parents. My career military father who served in Korea and during Vietnam was totally against the war in Vietnam. So generalizing by generations is full of flawed logic.

Quote: @Prevailing Wind

Wow! I had no idea Boomers were so stodgy.  If J! appeals only to the AARP crowd, how come the contestants are so young? 

This boomer has been watching Jeopardy since her teens. I get pretty annoyed at being dumped in some "old folk" stereotype sometimes. Other times, it's more fun to have people think that's what I am. It's kind of like a superpower.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I'm still hoping for David Faber but I just want this whole thing over with. The longer they do it, the longer Trebek's shadow and mythology grows.

And once they do finally get a move on and pick someone, we're still going to be subject to months, if not years, of tedious comparisons to and remembrances of Saint Alex.

•  
  • "...it’s hard not to feel a concerning sense that those in control of Jeopardy! don’t understand what they have..."
  •  

Does anyone know what "a concerning sense" means?  (Just to be clear, Shapeshifter was quoting something.)

• Love 4

Anyone can make an offensive remark or two in social media and be bit in the ass by it later. With Richards, however, it was much more than that, it was a pattern of behavior, not a comment or two, and as a member of management he had the ability to harm others in a more material way than just hurting their feelings. It is also possible for people to evolve and their attitudes to change. Richards, on the other hand, has demonstrated ongoing sleeziness.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Leeds said:
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
  • "...it’s hard not to feel a concerning sense that those in control of Jeopardy! don’t understand what they have..."
  •  

Does anyone know what "a concerning sense" means?  (Just to be clear, Shapeshifter was quoting something.)

Allow me to clear it up wave.gif.d94b02b2206e6b7a8a5ea89f4809917e.gif
(Sorry for the confusion)

First, the original source is a Variety article quoted in the PrimeTimer article, which I then quoted, but you were unable to find because when formatting on my phone I dropped the quotation marks around "Jeopardy!" (Sorry!)

But I guess you are wondering which of these 2 meanings "concerning" has here:

• as used in business jargon as something that is owned or controlled (definition #4 here)
  • or if "concerning" here means we are worried 

It's the "worried" definition. Here's the whole paragraph:

...Richards’ tributes to Trebek feel especially hollow given just how quickly he’s thrown into disarray what Trebek spent his career helping to build. On a long enough timeline, there will eventually be a permanent host of “Jeopardy,” and, after a disruption, the guest-host rotation will continue. But it’s hard not to feel a concerning sense that those in control of “Jeopardy” don’t understand what they have. It can be a little too easy to describe the show in lofty terms as a place where knowledge is celebrated, but that has the benefit of being true; it’s also true that the show has one of the most rock-solid formats in entertainment. “Jeopardy,” “60 Minutes,” “Saturday Night Live”: These are shows that could potentially run forever, with periodic alterations. The importing of a Hollywood-slick smooth talker suggests that those in power at “Jeopardy” value the potential it has to be pushed to some hypothetical next level of entertainment that they don’t realize how easy it would be to destroy something that’s worked for decades....

I am blushing, @Leeds, since a sizeable chunk of my job as an academic librarian was to teach students to cite things in such a way that the source could easily be located. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The fact that Bialik is a neuroscientist lent a level of credibility to her position as a guest host

I’m not sure why the host of a game show needs any sort of intellectual “credibility.” On the other hand quite a few people really feel that Jeopardy! sort of transcends game shows and that the host should be seen as a public intellectual.  I don’t see it that way but a lot of people do.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Doctor Whom said:

I’m not sure why the host of a game show needs any sort of intellectual “credibility.” On the other hand quite a few people really feel that Jeopardy! sort of transcends game shows and that the host should be seen as a public intellectual.  I don’t see it that way but a lot of people do.

This always astonishes me.  It's based on trivia and the ability to retain trivia.

I enjoy watching Jeopardy sporadically, but it's not exactly Mastermind.

• Love 4

As several of the guest hosts said, J!  has always been about facts. Some people really appreciate that, especially when we're surrounded by a disregard for truth and accuracy. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I thought Ken Jennings was a shoe in!  I watched him and really liked him. 

Well, Ken Jennings may have a foot/shoe in the door of Jeopardy! 
but if you Google: ken jennings offensive tweets
you will discover why he is not necessarily a shoo-in.

Plus, Ken Jennings has a gig on The Chase, which allows him to do what he does best: Recall facts quickly

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Nothing in Mike Richards' history shows that he'd willing to be that sacrificial lamb because this would harm his chances at ever hosting a game show which he really wants to do. 

But I can't say I haven't noticed that this debacle is likely going to help the next host. They're losing this battle but may win the war.  (Although that analogy is far from perfect here.)

But in no way do I think this was some master stroke of genius.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, Ken Jennings may have a foot/shoe in the door of Jeopardy! 
but if you Google: ken jennings offensive tweets
you will discover why he is not necessarily a shoo-in.

Plus, Ken Jennings has a gig on The Chase, which allows him to do what he does best: Recall facts quickly

I think @ABay has done  a good job delineating the differences between stupidity here and there and doing that while in a position of power. Even Trebek had his moments of saying stupid things.  I do think part of the reason his comments matter is because of his position at the time of saying them. Had he been a shock jock radio host or podcaster a la Howard Stern, he may have fared better.

As for The Chase, Jennings is one of four chasers.  They used to air the show with just one, The Beast.  It'd be easy for him to leave that show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

but if you Google: ken jennings offensive tweets...

I think @ABay has done  a good job delineating the differences between stupidity here and there and doing that while in a position of power. Even Trebek had his moments of saying stupid things.  I do think part of the reason his comments matter is because of his position at the time of saying them. Had he been a shock jock radio host or podcaster a la Howard Stern, he may have fared better.

Excellent points. Still, the haters on Twitter have been stirred up by the Mike Richards mess, so they might latch on to the ableism objections if Ken is crowned new host, which Sony might now anticipate and worry about, having noticed Jeopardy! is in jeopardy.

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

As for The Chase, Jennings is one of four chasers.  They used to air the show with just one, The Beast.  It'd be easy for him to leave that show.

Yes, but I hope Jennings chooses whichever will bring him the most satisfaction long-term. 
Of course, Jennings could host Jeopardy! for a year or 2 and then probably return to The Chase, if The Chase lasts that long.
Conversely, this is probably Jennings only opportunity to host Jeopardy!, should Sony decide to pass that mantle to him.

I wonder if Robin Roberts (or one of the other TV hosts who guest hosted for Jeopardy! ) could get a sabbatical from her show to do Jeopardy! for a year?
That could work to take the pressure off of the importance of the choice.
Or it could keep the negative social media pot boiling for another year. 
And this may be the exception to the rule that "there is no such thing as bad publicity."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but I hope Jennings chooses whichever will bring him the most satisfaction long-term. 

I get that.   I think The Chase is a fun job but he loves Jeopardy! so I could see that being more meaningful to him.

That was a critique I've seen about Burton--that it didn't seem like he prepared or was as in love with the idea of hosting Jeopardy! as he did with just the campaign of hosting. 

Personally, I think that's an expectation that is a little unnecessary but I do think some fans have it.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Yeah, "FWIW" is right, because the MSN article throws out a quote with an incorrect and out-of-context citation:

CNN's Brian Stelter reports that "most of the sources" he spoke with "said Ken Jennings is now the hands-down favorite,"

Brian Stelter does not say that. An unnamed TV reporter does.
Brian Stelter (who warranted an appearance last week as a guest of Stephen Colbert) did name drop Laura Coates.

Nevertheless, this bit from the MSN article is accurate:

...in his newsletter What I'm Hearing..., former Hollywood Reporter editor Matthew Belloni reports, "I'm told by two show insiders that it's now Jennings' job to lose." 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

"The Los Angeles Times also wrote that Mayim Bialik, who was already hired to host Jeopardy! "primetime and spinoff series," could possibly be a contender for the main job, though TMZ previously reported she was thought to be too busy."

Ugh. Please don't.

• Love 11

The job was probably always Ken's to lose until Richards inserted himself as a potential replacement.  And unlike MR, Ken's a known factor beloved by Jeopardy fans and in the trivia community, his past comments and his podcast won't hurt him that much.

It's a funny thing about Ken, I didn't think he was all that good until about his third week, but there's little lecturing about how he shouldn't host unlike other guest hosts.  Weird how that works.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

The job was probably always Ken's to lose until Richards inserted himself as a potential replacement.  And unlike MR, Ken's a known factor beloved by Jeopardy fans and in the trivia community, his past comments and his podcast won't hurt him that much.

It's a funny thing about Ken, I didn't think he was all that good until about his third week, but there's little lecturing about how he shouldn't host unlike other guest hosts.  Weird how that works.

By some fans perhaps, but not all.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

‘Jeopardy!’: Mayim Bialik To Step In As Temporary Host Of Syndicated Show After Mike Richards’ Exit
https://deadline.com/2021/08/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-fill-in-host-of-syndicated-show-mike-richards-exit-1234820114/

Good. 
"Temporary" works for me.

So far, just one comment on the article. Sorry, I don't know how to embed things.

Anonymous on August 23, 2021 10:14 am

But the mob wants her out as well …

And it sounds like there will still be other guest hosts.

• Love 1

I realize a lot of people here like Ken Jennings.  I'm not one of them. 

In 2014 he tweeted, "There's nothing sadder than a hot person in a wheelchair".  Then this genius tweeted out, "It can't be a coincidence that every fan who has seen the new Star Wars movie has died."  He wrote this in response to the news that a Star Wars  Super Fan,  Daniel Fleetwood, had just died of cancer. He was the first person to view, "The Force Awakens" and Jennings seemed to think this was funny.  

There are a lot of others out there but some are too tasteless to post here.  Of course he apologized for all of them.  

I've watched Jeopardy since I was a kid and Art Fleming was the host.  Back then it was on in the early afternoon and my mom would watch it every day.  

Now that it sounds like Jennings will be the new host after all, (was there every any doubt?) I'm done with Jeopardy.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Trey said:

And it sounds like there will still be other guest hosts.

Yes: https://tvline.com/2021/08/23/mayim-bialik-returns-jeopardy-host-replaces-mike-richards/
Just 3 weeks for Mayim.
I thought a longer stint (3 months?) would give time for the dust to settle, MR to be replaced as EP, etc.
*sigh*
Maybe they will re-up her 3 weeks as needed? Or maybe that's really just all she has time to give right now.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or maybe that's really just all she has time to give right now.

Hopefully it stays that way.

If she reins in the out of place laughing (what is so funny about a J! contestant getting a question right?) and the personal comments I can learn to tolerate her. Hopefully they saw some of the critical audience comments about her actual performance and not just the ones going on about how wonderful and brilliant she is.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5
On 8/21/2021 at 8:34 PM, ams1001 said:

Dear Jeopardy people:
No!

Dear Twitterverse,
Stop it!

I am sorry but LeVar Burton was terrible, nervous, ill-prepared and just a tiny bit full of himself.    I know he had a bad week and only a week to get acclimated, but if he wanted the job as much as he said he did,  he should have done some rehearsing and been better prepared.  Honestly,  Aaron Rodgers was amazingly good among others,  I get that Mr Burton has fans, but is he really a good fit for the show? 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, jrzy said:

know he had a bad week and only a week to get acclimated, but

Just to clarify:   
1 week of 5 Jeopardy! episodes = 1 day of shooting with no opportunity to review the shoot and make adjustments. 

Likewise, Mayim’s upcoming 3 weeks will be completed in 3 days. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Maybe it’s an unpopular opinion, but I thought all of the guests hosts were OK. I heard very little of the things that others have criticized. Shouty? Didn’t notice. Mayim laughing/giggling too much? Didn’t notice. Didn’t think LeVar did that badly. Still like Ken. Etc., etc., etc.

I simply want a host to be named, and the show will go on, as well as the contestants. They are the important part, the stars, if you will.

• Love 8

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the best route might be for the show to proceed without a host at all.  It wouldn't take much altering.  Just have the clues pop up on the screen.  Nobody has to read them out loud.  Contestants can buzz in and answer.  A sound effect could tell them if they were correct or not.  I, for one, would not miss the little mid-show interviews, which have always been my least favorite part of the show.  (Seriously, if some of the things contestants talk about are the most interesting tidbits about their lives, then I am seriously saddened for them.)  But, if they insist on keeping the interviews, just have the contestant look into the camera and tell something about themselves.  Presto, no need for a host at all.   

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

(Seriously, if some of the things contestants talk about are the most interesting tidbits about their lives, then I am seriously saddened for them.)

I'd bet that a lot of the contestants would have much more interesting stories if they didn't have to be family-friendly!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I honestly don't know how interesting you can be in the amount of time allotted for those stories, and I am very sympathetic to people who don't have a larder full of anecdotes. You can in fact have a great life and great experiences, be fun, interesting, and generally an all around great person... without having a soundbite to prove it.

• Love 19
On 8/23/2021 at 2:56 PM, Bulldog said:

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the best route might be for the show to proceed without a host at all.  It wouldn't take much altering.  Just have the clues pop up on the screen.  Nobody has to read them out loud.  Contestants can buzz in and answer.  A sound effect could tell them if they were correct or not.  I, for one, would not miss the little mid-show interviews, which have always been my least favorite part of the show.  (Seriously, if some of the things contestants talk about are the most interesting tidbits about their lives, then I am seriously saddened for them.)  But, if they insist on keeping the interviews, just have the contestant look into the camera and tell something about themselves.  Presto, no need for a host at all.   

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again since my brain is the proverbial sieve, but I just want questions and answers.  I don't care who the host is and couldn't give a damn about the boring human interest stories.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 6