Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

I had been really hoping Robin Roberts would get the permanent host position--and I now think even more that she would be great--but last night I saw her hour-long interview, "Amanda Gorman: Brave Enough with Robin Roberts A Special Edition of 20/20" (which is also on Hulu?) and was glad Robin Roberts was available to do it, precisely because she did not insert herself into the conversation, but instead brought out the best in her interviewee (poet Amanda Gorman).

• Love 4

Robin Roberts is good at that kind of stuff, and many of the guest hosts were TV professionals and so good at interviewing and communicating on camera (even the much-maligned Levar Burton).  I would be happy with Robin, but I never thought she was in serious contention for the job (even if she wanted it.)  The guest host period was sort of a gimmick (much like Celebrity Jeopardy!) that the producers came up with to fill a gap after Alex died.

I don't much care who gets the job, as long as it is not Ken Jennings.  But it looks increasingly like it will be Ken Jennings.  ;(

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had been really hoping Robin Roberts would get the permanent host position--and I now think even more that she would be great--but last night I saw her hour-long interview, "Amanda Gorman: Brave Enough with Robin Roberts A Special Edition of 20/20" (which is also on Hulu?) and was glad Robin Roberts was available to do it, precisely because she did not insert herself into the conversation, but instead brought out the best in her interviewee (poet Amanda Gorman).

She was my favourite of all the guest hosts.  

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I don't much care who gets the job, as long as it is not Ken Jennings.  But it looks increasingly like it will be Ken Jennings.  ;(

Isn't Buzzy a possibility now, after everyone (including TPTB) got to recently see him again doing a stellar job for 2 weeks?

• Love 4

I like the idea of switching off between Mayim and Ken until the producers can make a decision.  Far less distracting.  I do wonder if they are stalling to see if Mayim's show gets cancelled and she will be available for the full time job?  

I still prefer Buzzy or David Faber for the job, FWIW.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

I would be happy with Robin, but I never thought she was in serious contention for the job (even if she wanted it.)

Yeah, she was great, but given her "day job", she very much seemed like a true guest host as they were originally intended - celebrities who are fans of the show and have the on-camera experience necessary to do well with a guest host gig that will keep the game flowing and raise money for charity.  I doubt she was ever hoping for, or being auditioned for, anything more than that, but if there's a comment from her to the contrary out there I'd be curious to read it.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yep - I agree with you - they’re stalling for Mayim and will make a choice at the end of the year.

And I would also prefer Buzzy or David Faber.

(So I pretty much just copied your post).

“So say we all” er ah — at least the 3 of us. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

How can Jennings  host Jeopardy and be on the Chase? What is Conflict of Interest. Besides he seriously sucks.

I'm not sure if you meant it would violate some sort of contract even if he guest hosts or if you meant permanently (and Law is not one of my strong suits), but:

From Variety: "Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings will host the remaining episodes of “Jeopardy!” for the rest of the year, Variety has confirmed. However, the search for a final, permanent host is still ongoing" (Sept. 16, 8:45am PDT, variety.com/2021/tv/news/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-host-mike-richards-1235066317). 

Not totally sure of the timeline, but I think Ken was already employed by Jeopardy as a producer and occasional clue reader before he started on The Chase, so allowances for appearances on Jeopardy were probably included in his contract with The Chase.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Glitches said:

Watching Mayim Bialik hosting reruns. I like her as host. Hate to be all judgy-judgy but I hope Jeopardy provides a stylist and wardrobe for Amy Farrah Fowler. And that she accepts their advise…or perhaps that is what is off with her fashion???? Your thoughts? 

32 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

I read this article about Mayim's fashion choices at the beginning of her run as guest host.  

https://www.thelist.com/248835/the-stunning-transformation-of-mayim-bialik/

I'm assuming (hopefully not wrongly) that by dragging these posts over to the who-is-today’s-guest-host thread that @Glitches and @Phebemarie will find them and my reply here so we don't clutter up the main thread any more by me posting about replying here there. 

Anyway, I finally watched parts of 2 episodes of Mayim's current show and really think she'd rather be doing that than hosting full time, for reasons I don't feel like listing here because it seems weird and pointless to discuss her personal choices etc. 

15 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Not totally sure of the timeline, but I think Ken was already employed by Jeopardy as a producer and occasional clue reader before he started on The Chase, so allowances for appearances on Jeopardy were probably included in his contract with The Chase.

The timeline checks out. Ken was already connected with The Chase when he guest-hosted the first set of shows after Alex's passing.

I'm glad Ken is hosting again, and wouldn't mind if he got the gig permanently. The problematic tweets were regretted, he apologized, and he's sincerely done better after it. Others complain about his vocal quality, but that would probably be smoothed out over time. 

More than what Alex may have named to be his successor, what Alex considered the prime consideration was that Jeopardy should be focused on the contestants. The host was really secondary.

Ken has spent the most time than anyone else as a Jeopardy contestant, and his empathetic manner during the awkward interview segments sold me on Ken. Plus, his "Thank you, Alex" managed to sound lovely every time he said it at the end of the episode. 

• Love 10
On 9/17/2021 at 12:11 AM, Phebemarie said:

I found the article on Mayim interesting because her choices were deliberate.  She wanted to match the visual "tone" of Alex's wardrobe.  I think she succeeded.  

I've read the article, and can't find the references to her Jeopardy! wardrobe. It's all about her life, how she started acting, her marriage and philosophy of raising children, etc. The link is to a long article in "The List." What am I missing? TIA!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I've read the article, and can't find the references to her Jeopardy! wardrobe. It's all about her life, how she started acting, her marriage and philosophy of raising children, etc. The link is to a long article in "The List." What am I missing? TIA!

This is The List article we were probably seeking: https://www.thelist.com/425321/the-true-meaning-behind-mayim-bialiks-jeopardy-wardrobe/

My confusion/issue/annoyance has been over Mayim's choice (according to bits of social media) to never wear pants based on "religious" reasons, which I haven't taken enough time to research and/or document, but which doesn't seem to fit with her non-orthodox practices.
I think it's fine for someone to choose to wear what they feel comfortable in and what they feel reflects who they are, but based on interviews with Mayim, it surprises me that she is so rigid about it given that the acting profession is a lot about dressing up in various ways for various parts. 
So I confess: It bugs me that she always wears skirts of exactly that length. I would like to see an occasional pantsuit or maxi skirt. But that's how I would dress, and I am not Mayim. However, I am similar enough to Mayim in style that I just want her to try some pieces like a few of the things in my closet. 
If Mayim and I had a contest over who has the most blazers, I wonder who would win? LOL

• Love 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think it's fine for someone to choose to wear what they feel comfortable in and what they feel reflects who they are, but based on interviews with Mayim, it surprises me that she is so rigid about it given that the acting profession is a lot about dressing up in various ways for various parts. 

On BBT she always wore skirts but there was never any reason given for it, as far as the character was concerned (the character was not religious). But the character was supposed to be kind of frumpy and unfashionable. I assume her current show is similar, the character just wears skirts; though I haven't watched it and have no intention to (my brother called it "unwatchable" and between that and other comments I've seen online, I'll take his word for it).

I'm not a fan of her wardrobe but I don't really care what the host wears. It's not like they're on camera the whole show. My primary reasons for not liking her as host are hopefully things she'll have taken some notes on before she started taping again. She came across (to me) as kind of vapid and self-absorbed with all the giggling and personal asides. I just want to be able to mostly ignore the host and play along with the game. I guess we'll find out next week...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I assume her current show is similar, the character just wears skirts; though I haven't watched it and have no intention to (my brother called it "unwatchable" and between that and other comments I've seen online, I'll take his word for it).

We decided to try it out - didn't last 10 minutes. Unwatchable is correct, from my point of view anyway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Can they just make Levar Burton the permanent Jeopardy host already?

You may not want to listen to the whole 4 minutes, so, basically, LeVar does not want the Jeopardy! host gig anymore: 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:58 PM, shapeshifter said:

This link (https://youtu.be/5HLbsZmnaZI?t=237) starts at about 4 minutes into the 8+ minute interview, with their discussion of the Jeopardy! host gig and it's impact on LeVar's life.

Unless you've since heard something else?
This↑ interview was from 4 days ago--so, in terms of CJT (Current Jeopardy! Time) long after MR was out as EP.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

You may not want to listen to the whole 4 minutes, so, basically, LeVar does not want the Jeopardy! host gig anymore: 

Unless you've since heard something else?
This↑ interview was from 4 days ago--so, in terms of CJT (Current Jeopardy! Time) long after MR was out as EP.

Oh well...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

People who hated Mayim's guest hosting seem to like her now, so I wonder if LeVar would have improved. I guess we'll never know.

Every time I think about watching Jeopardy again it seems one of her commercials comes on.  Nope.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't hate her. I thought she could stand a little improvement, which has happened.

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't typically comment on clothes, but I thought that red blazer looked really good on her last night.

• Love 5

I read an article that quoted Mayim as saying she really wants the permanent gig and hopes it works out. (Sorry, it’s been a week or so and I don’t remember the source.) I have also read that she is Sony’s first choice. 

So barring something unforeseen, I think Mayim is going to be it. Between the two, I prefer Ken, but nobody asked me. (And I would still take Brad over either of them.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I read an article that quoted Mayim as saying she really wants the permanent gig and hopes it works out. (Sorry, it’s been a week or so and I don’t remember the source.) I have also read that she is Sony’s first choice. 

So barring something unforeseen, I think Mayim is going to be it. Between the two, I prefer Ken, but nobody asked me. (And I would still take Brad over either of them.)

I would prefer Buzzy. But after Mayim's performance this week, I'd be fine with her.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I would prefer Buzzy. But after Mayim's performance this week, I'd be fine with her.

Ditto.

Or, as seen on Reddit about Matt Amodio:

He seems like a good dude, instead of a permanent host we will have a permanent contestant.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Of the two, I prefer Mayim - I think she has a better overall hosting presence, while still being unobtrusive - but I would have liked to see Brad guest host.  (Same with Julia Collins, if they were going to bring in more big winners, but I certainly understand the focus on broadcasting professionals.)

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Buzzy! Buzzy! Buzzy!

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And now I'm imagining the fun ways the name "Buzzy" and the Jeopardy! "buzzer" could be used for plays on words.

You have more imagination than I do - I can't think of a thing, let alone something fun!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

To me Mayim becoming Jeopardy host lends credibility  to her hawking of her brain pills.  I'll never watch her and I bet a lot of people who DON'T watch Jeopardy will assume, because they think it's an intellectual game, that there's validity to her commercials.  Being host of Jeopardy tends to reinforce that belief.