Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I thought Robin did a good job tonight.  I will miss the rest of her episodes because I will be in Iceland!  I'll record them, but no idea if I'll watch them when I get back or just check FJ from the archives.

Have a great trip, @Browncoat!

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I thought Robin did a good job tonight.  I will miss the rest of her episodes because I will be in Iceland!  I'll record them, but no idea if I'll watch them when I get back or just check FJ from the archives.

Wow, Iceland. That's quite a trip. Have a great time.

• Love 3

I've seen Robin Roberts on a lot of news and talk shows that I used to have on in the background before work, and I always liked her. I still like her, but I was disappointed with her first day on Jeopardy. I wonder if she just had too many other projects going to devote enough time to prepare for this. All the guest hosts thus far seemed to have mentioned that it took a lot more preparation than they realized.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

She seems like she would be fun at parties, but I really thought Robin Roberts was terrible.  Not the worst by a long shot (hello, Anderson Cooper and Dr. Oz) but glad it's only a week.

I don’t think she would be fun at parties, and I really don’t like her on Jeopardy!

Her timing is off (too slow maybe) and it’s irritating me.

16 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I don’t think she would be fun at parties,

Honestly, I don't either but I guess I thought I would soften it because I really haven't liked any of them (except Aaron Rodgers) and I seem to be in the minority, except for those who hate Dr. Oz for non-Jeopardy related reasons.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Honestly, I don't either but I guess I thought I would soften it because I really haven't liked any of them (except Aaron Rodgers) and I seem to be in the minority, except for those who hate Dr. Oz for non-Jeopardy related reasons.

I would ❤️love❤️ to see Aaron Rodgers on my TV 5 days a week at 7:30 p.m.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I would ❤️love❤️ to see Aaron Rodgers on my TV 5 days a week at 7:30 p.m.

😍 You can have him at 7:30... after I've had him at 6:30! 🥴😵

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 7/20/2021 at 7:05 AM, bankerchick said:

She seems like she would be fun at parties, but I really thought Robin Roberts was terrible.  Not the worst by a long shot (hello, Anderson Cooper and Dr. Oz) but glad it's only a week.

I thought she was fine, but she's definitely not my cup of tea, her energy is too high for me. To be fair, Aaron Rogers' laid back energy wasn't high enough. I still find Buzzy just right. Call me Goldilocks.

• Love 4

3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I still find Buzzy just right. Call me Goldilocks.

Honestly, I had forgotten about Buzzy but you're right, he was really good.  I would be happy with Buzzy as a permanent host as I suspect they won't consider Rodgers as long as he's still playing anyway.

• Love 6

I approved of Robin Roberts' final pink dress, although I preferred her Tues, Wed, and Thurs outfits. 
If she were to become the new host, I think she would grow into it, becoming more relaxed as the idiosyncrasies of the job became second nature to her.

• Love 2

I'm in the minority here, apparently.  Of all the female hosts, Robin was my favorite (and I loved her Thursday outfit). 

I'd like to see it go to Aaron Rodgers.  I think he could really grow into it.    

LeVar Burton has to pretty much walk on water to impress me now.  But who knows?

It will probably go to Ken, anyway.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I'm in the minority here, apparently.  Of all the female hosts, Robin was my favorite (and I loved her Thursday outfit). 

I'd like to see it go to Aaron Rodgers.  I think he could really grow into it.    

LeVar Burton has to pretty much walk on water to impress me now.  But who knows?

It will probably go to Ken, anyway.

I agree with all of this. 

It was not a particularly high bar for Robin to clear, but she was definitely better than Katie Couric or that woman who insisted on wearing shoes she couldn't walk in (Savannah or something?) 

Aaron Rodgers would be great, I couldn't care less about LeVar Burton, and I also fear it will be Ken Jennings, who is amongst the least charismatic people I have ever seen on TV.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Aaron Rodgers would be great, I couldn't care less about LeVar Burton, and I also fear it will be Ken Jennings, who is amongst the least charismatic people I have ever seen on TV.

This. (If it is Ken, I'll accept. I won't be happy, however. His voice!!!)

I am holding deep in my heart a hope that they'll choose someone completely different... like that military guy last week - he was classy, charming, intelligent, easy-on-the-eyes, with bonus PERFECT voice/inflection and diction. I swear, HE'd make a great host.

I'm so shallow, I fell in love with him for 3 days and now can't remember his name. My "wisdom" years gives me the excuse that I don't need to remember so much trivia! I can look it up... but since I've also acquired a certain elderly laziness, that'd be a nope. Y'all know who I mean.

Discovery of late, speaking of aging... there's a lovely focus on living in the moment. A leeway of sorts - as my Dad once responded when asked by his bank if he wanted to buy a 10 year bond, he smiled that sly grin and said, "I don't even buy green bananas anymore."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

my Dad once responded when asked by his bank if he wanted to buy a 10 year bond, he smiled that sly grin and said, "I don't even buy green bananas anymore."

Hahaha.  
A couple of weeks ago a guy from the bank plugged my income into an app and began a sentence with, “So, at age 95….”   
I interrupted him and said, “Right now I’m just trying to make it to 68” (my next birthday).

So to bring this back on topic: I (and some others) have been concerned about the new host being young enough to go another 20 years, but I’m rethinking that now. Let’s just hope they pick someone who does it well now. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8

Maybe eschewing social media has shielded me, as I've only seen the articles posted here, in which Burton comments on his quest, and there's nothing among them that makes me think he's inappropriate in his desire for the gig.

Like all female and BIPOC candidates, he'll have to generally be twice as good to be considered equal if actually competing for the job.  He's one of the few acknowledging he'd like the gig permanently, so I hope this trial run goes well. 

• Love 10

I didn't care for Aaron Rodgers and really hope he isn't the new host.  Robin was the best of the women in my view, though I did like Savannah she was nowhere near as good.  I seriously disliked Buzzy as a contestant but thought he did a fantastic job hosting so I'd be happy with him.  I think Mike Richards was the best of them all so (having not seen LeVar Burton yet) my top choices would be Mike, Buzzy, and Robin.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm still with Buzzy as first choice and Ken as second choice. I don't really have a third choice. For the most part, I think everyone did fine. Robin and Aaron are not my cup of tea for opposite reasons, but they'd both be fine. I'm here for the game, not the host. I watched Jeopardy well before Alex, and will watch it whoever they choose.

That being said, I wish they would just go ahead and announce the new host. Maybe they'll do it after Levar, since he's the only one left generating a lot of buzz, although the rest of the remaining hosts are fairly unknown to me, so what do I know?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I watched Jeopardy well before Alex, and will watch it whoever they choose.

I too watched the Art Fleming days, and a year ago, would also have said that I will watch regardless of the host, but the reality is I have missed a lot of the shows lately and sometimes if I realize it's 7:40 and I'm doing something else, I don't bother stopping to watch.

Having said all that, I think once the new host is chosen and they have been on for a while, it will seem normal and we'll all go back to just watching to play the game.  I could probably even get used to Ken Jennings, though God knows I hope I don't have to.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I could probably even get used to Ken Jennings, though God knows I hope I don't have to.

I did watch Ken Jennings' 2 weeks guest hosting. He was not memorable, which might be a good thing.

Does anyone know how it was decided which guest hosts got 2 weeks and which got 1? Occam's razor tells me it was a matter of availability, but the whole Burton issue implies other behind-the-scenes scrambling.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I did watch Ken Jennings' 2 weeks guest hosting. He was not memorable, which might be a good thing.

Ken Jennings did six weeks, as I recall, which would make him even less memorable (from your point of view). 😀

• LOL 3
On 7/25/2021 at 1:25 AM, Bastet said:

Maybe eschewing social media has shielded me, as I've only seen the articles posted here, in which Burton comments on his quest, and there's nothing among them that makes me think he's inappropriate in his desire for the gig.

Like all female and BIPOC candidates, he'll have to generally be twice as good to be considered equal if actually competing for the job.  He's one of the few acknowledging he'd like the gig permanently, so I hope this trial run goes well. 

Yep....and cue the snide comments about "diction" etc. when many really are rooting for a man that sounds as if he has a lisp....

They were all fine, I am resigned to them not choosing any of my favorites, but I will still watch.  I suspect they have pretty much always known who it would be anyway.  They did not want the fans to feel as if Alex was easy to replace and also feel as if they were having a say in it by ratings, social media comments, etc. 

I love LeVar but this is not working for me so far.  I hope he's right and his remaining episodes are better. 

I guess there's no hope for my #1 pick since no one has mentioned her, but I thought Mayim did the best overall.  She had the right amount of energy and her commentary was the most natural to me. Buzzy was probably the best among the guys, not something I thought I'd say. 

I really, really, really hope Ken doesn't get it.  His turn was far from the worst, but I can get over his smug game show persona, the way he says 'nooooo' (his tone says 'wrong, dumbass' to me) and his voice.  

• Love 6

I think after all the hype and high expectations, that interview sufficiently lowered expectations (at least for this first episode) enough that at the end of the day we come away from it saying it was fine.

I am curious to see how the rest of the week plays out and if he is less nervous/more himself.

• Love 2

Levar’s first episode wasn’t great. Maybe he’ll improve.

I do not get the support for Ken Jennings. At all. Yes, he did fine for an amateur. But he’s an amateur and I found him really stiff and labored compared to the some of the professional broadcasters who have guest hosted. Yet I think the producers have already decided on Ken, and they’ll announce it next week and then fill the rest of the time until his premiere with reruns of his episodes from January.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was so busy yelling “Noriega!” at Matt that I was baffled when it wasn’t accepted until LeVar explained after the break that he was supposed to have called time.

Poor Patrick, sure, but also poor LeVar having a difficult first time out between Matt’s idiosyncrasies and Patrick’s itchy buzzer finger.

^from the season 37 thread. 

There are still two more weeks of guest hosts after Levar.  This year the hiatus is only 4 weeks instead of the usual 6 so I am guessing they will rerun the TOC and maybe the two weeks of “ Best of Trebek” episodes.

I wanted to like Levar but the TIME and the NOT CORRECT yelling made me feel like he was giving an exam. I did read he had first day jitters so I'll give him a shot.

FWIW, FJ was an instaget for me....and that made me feel good.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

FWIW, FJ was an instaget for me....and that made me feel good

Me too.  And I really wanted LeVar to mention he met him on Star Trek (they didn't have a scene together but I'm assuming Hawking met the whole cast). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

In the GMA segment George S. did for GMA, he said, "Did you ever notice the host is not on camera all that much?  When you make a mistake you can re-do the clue."

Since Levar said his first show did not go well, maybe there were even more glitches in his debut than we saw on TV. 

5 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

In the GMA segment George S. did for GMA, he said, "Did you ever notice the host is not on camera all that much?  When you make a mistake you can re-do the clue."

Since Levar said his first show did not go well, maybe there were even more glitches in his debut than we saw on TV. 

Well, apparently the time out buzzer was malfunctioning, and possibly Patrick's buzzer was buzzing with too little pressure, and possibly Kathleen's buzzer required more pressure than usual. 🥺

Levar's first episode was rough, but I think I saw glimpses that he could be a good host. He certainly looked good. So, though I started the episode with my arms folded across my chest, I'm willing to let go of his active campaigning and see how he does.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

There are still two more weeks of guest hosts after Levar.  This year the hiatus is only 4 weeks instead of the usual 6 so I am guessing they will rerun the TOC and maybe the two weeks of “ Best of Trebek” episodes.

I hope they DON’T run “Best of Trebek” shows. The guest hosts have made it a nice transition from Alex to the new host, so the new host has sort of a clean slate. Going from Alex to a new host right away would have been a huge burden. 

• Love 6
Just now, chitowngirl said:

I hope they DON’T run “Best of Trebek” shows. The guest hosts have made it a nice transition from Alex to the new host, so the new host has sort of a clean slate. Going from Alex to a new host right away would have been a huge burden. 

Just a guess on my part.  The “final farewell” as it were.  But maybe they will run the new host’s episodes. That would make sense I think.

• Love 3

My guess is it will be the latter. They could have chosen a host back in January. But they didn’t want the new host to debut the Monday after Alex’s last show. They wanted to give the new person some distance from the Trebek episodes. And I think that’s still true.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

My guess is it will be the latter. They could have chosen a host back in January. But they didn’t want the new host to debut the Monday after Alex’s last show. They wanted to give the new person some distance from the Trebek episodes. And I think that’s still true.

I agree; they'd be utter, self-sabotaging fools to have gone through this extended guest host rotation to get the audience used to there being someone other than Alex Trebek behind the podium and then re-run Alex episodes right before premiering the new permanent host.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2021 at 8:59 PM, Kyle said:

Levar’s first episode wasn’t great. Maybe he’ll improve.

At least in the one other example we've had (and in line with LeVar's own claims) it looks like he did.  But the producers may consider that a bad failure rate... 

On 7/25/2021 at 2:25 AM, Bastet said:

Out of all the guest hosts who are not White Guys, I liked Bill Whitaker best. Robin was my favorite female guest host. LeVar wasn't bad, but he was a bit shouty for my taste.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

At least in the one other example we've had (and in line with LeVar's own claims) it looks like he did.  But the producers may consider that a bad failure rate... 

"bad failure rate"?

21 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I agree.

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Out of all the guest hosts who are not White Guys, I liked Bill Whitaker best. Robin was my favorite female guest host. LeVar wasn't bad, but he was a bit shouty for my taste.

I wasn't fond of Bill or Robin (for different reasons). Levar was indeed a bit shouty. I think that will calm down, I think it's just that he wants it so darn much that he's stressing himself out, and his nerves still show, even though he was better.