Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

48 minutes ago, opus said:

Don't get me wrong, the host is important to one's enjoyment of the show, but I watch mainly for the clues and to see what I know.

Same here; hell, Alex bugged me plenty of times, but I still love the show because I like playing the game. 

But it's just going to be straight-up weird to have others hosting after over 35 years of Alex (and I never watched it in the Art Fleming days, or if I did I was too young to remember it); I have no idea how long it's going to take me to stop being distracted by that thought and just watch the game like usual.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

As a little Moose, I did watch J! in the Art Fleming days, but given the show had been off the air for almost a decade, it didn't have the same feeling of change as this does. In a sad coincidence, Fleming also died of pancreatic cancer.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just heard Ken will be the acting host for SIX WEEKS.

Yes, a show spokesperson told the NY Times that they taped 30 episodes, which is 6 weeks.  LA Times says Katie Couric will be next, but at time of publication neither she nor the show would confirm.  Although many other publications have run with the story, I don't think there has been confirmation.

Speaking of Couric, there was more negative reaction in the main thread than I expected when that came up.  I really know very little about her, because I don't watch network news or talk shows, but I've never disliked her when seeing her in passing and can't recall reading anything that gave me a negative impression.  Would anyone who doesn't care for her mind explaining why?  This reads like I want to be argumentative, but I'm simply curious.  I suppose it could be "just one of those things," the way we all do and don't take to different people, but I was surprised because I had thought of her as generally well-liked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

They had today's show in Chicago already. Ken was very respectful. He wasn't bad at reading the clues either. I think he'd be even better if they give him time.

I liked him as host. I wasn't sure what to expect because I didn't love his reading for the categories he did clues for in the past several weeks but I felt like he did a good job as host, though he certainly has room to improve. I think he needs a little time to settle into the role (maybe that's why they had him do so many games, so they have a good stretch to judge him on if they are seriously considering him as permanent host). He has a slight lisp which was distracting at first but I stopped noticing it after a bit. When they got clues wrong I thought he sounded like he felt bad having to tell them they were wrong. I said a while ago that he doesn't have the "game show host" personality you'd expect (I think Brad has more of that; don't know if he'll have a run at host or not) but maybe Jeopardy doesn't need that so much, since it's not the kind of game where the host has to amp up the contestants.

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Speaking of Couric, there was more negative reaction in the main thread than I expected when that came up.  I really know very little about her, because I don't watch network news or talk shows, but I've never disliked her when seeing her in passing and can't recall reading anything that gave me a negative impression.  Would anyone who doesn't care for her mind explaining why?  This reads like I want to be argumentative, but I'm simply curious.  I suppose it could be "just one of those things," the way we all do and don't take to different people, but I was surprised because I had thought of her as generally well-liked.

Same...I don't know anything about her, really, outside of seeing her on TV.

• Love 2

I thought Ken did fantastic. That can't be easy, but the game flowed. I'm good if he becomes permanent, but I'm also interested in seeing others give it a try.

I read on Jeopardy Fan (I think) that the show isn't going to announce the permanent host until next season. That's the only place I've seen that, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Yes, a show spokesperson told the NY Times that they taped 30 episodes, which is 6 weeks.  LA Times says Katie Couric will be next, but at time of publication neither she nor the show would confirm.  Although many other publications have run with the story, I don't think there has been confirmation.

I dont have a problem with Katie Couric, she is always very peppy & up-beat.  I think some people associate her with Matt Lauer(they Co-Hosted the TODAY show for a long time), I dont think she ever came out & said anything against him, I've also read that she was 'mean" to folks who worked for her.

• Useful 3
27 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I thought Ken did fantastic. That can't be easy, but the game flowed. I'm good if he becomes permanent, but I'm also interested in seeing others give it a try.

I read on Jeopardy Fan (I think) that the show isn't going to announce the permanent host until next season. That's the only place I've seen that, though. 

Would anyone who doesn't care for her mind explaining why? 

In 2007, I was an employee of Virginia Tech -- when 32 people (33 including the shooter) were killed in what I believe is still the worst school shooting in US history.  Naturally, all the journalists in the world descended upon campus, and all but one were very respectful and behaved in an appropriate manner to those of us who were there when it happened.  I know people who were in the building, and I know people who know people who were injured or killed, but I didn't know anyone directly.  Anyway, the one journalist we expected to be nice was Katie Couric.  She's from Virginia (although she attended UVa and not VT), and from what we'd seen on TV, she seemed nice enough.  She was very entitled, and imperious, and her actions were so inappropriate, that one of my friends (who was traumatized by the shooting!) to call her a bitch to her face.  I don't remember any more exactly what triggered that response, but my friend was not given to be impolite frivolously.  

So, that's why I don't like her.  There may also be a little Matt Lauer dislike coloring my opinion of Katie. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I was surprised how well Ken did. He has always had such a deep love and respect for both the game and Alex that maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. It's also interesting to see a long-running contestant as a host, as it gives him a new perspective on the game as well. 

It's also nice that they've kept Alex's memorial card up at the end of the show. I'm sure they will keep it there for the rest of the season. ❤

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 7

I think Ken did a good job but I have to say I think he read the clues a little too fast.  It sounded like he was in a hurry.  Maybe it's just me.  I am used to the way Alex read them.

I remember Art Fleming...God I'm old.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, catlover79 said:

It's also nice that they've kept Alex's memorial card up at the end of the show. I'm sure they will keep it there for the rest of the season. ❤

I hope they keep it forever. 

• Love 8

Like many of the posters, I'm going to need a little time to adjust to someone other than Alex, but I thought Ken did well. His voice is higher-pitched than Alex's was, which took some getting used to, but I thought his speed was about right. I'd rather have a fast reader than some of those guest clue readers, who are so slow I almost can see my fingernails grow.

I remember the Art Fleming days, waaay back when J! was a daytime show. I would place him on a par with Alex. The clearest memory I have of him is a sort of catchphrase, "A hefty wager!" when someone bet big on a DD.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

I think Ken did a good job but I have to say I think he read the clues a little too fast.  It sounded like he was in a hurry.  Maybe it's just me.  I am used to the way Alex read them.

Agree on the ‘too fast.’ Probably just nerves/excitement. Otherwise, liked him!

• Love 4

I was thinking about tonight's show all day, so I "cheated" and read some of these reviews before I could get to the show.  I normally never do that before I see anything, because I prefer to form my own opinions, but oh well.  A friend also texted me from an earlier time zone, and having seen the show, I almost agree with him: "Ken's doing okay."

Better than just okay, though.  Perfectly fine, I would say.  As I said in the main thread, the highest compliment I could pay Ken is that I was able to consider and enjoy the game first and foremost.  He has room to grow, and having been given six weeks, he has time to do it too.  I think they could do a lot worse if he gets the nod.

Ken's introductory remarks set the stage brilliantly, and I appreciated that he mentioned Alex at the end too.  I saw little glimmers of Alex throughout, really.  The little voice on "New York Society," the "good" after correct responses, and a few cadences made me feel like I was watching someone who had studied the master.

I agree with a few commenters that the interview segment was probably the weakest bit for him.  "You did get lost once, is that right?" was especially clunky, but some of the setups can come with practice.  He really doesn't have a sonorous "broadcaster's voice" the way Alex did, and that's not going to change, so I will just have to deal with it.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So, that's why I don't like [Katie].

Thank you for sharing this.  I remember those events but hadn't heard this, and I'm sorry you all had that experience, in all aspects.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7

Yes I'll admit it ...I'm old enough to say I watched this show on NBC daytime with Art Fleming while Alex was hosting Wizard of Odds, High Rollers, and Double Dare among his many hosting jobs before he became the Jeopardy legend he became....surely it will never be the same....but Ken Jennings did a wonderful job maintaining it in a way that would have Alex looking down from heaven like a proud father.  Kudos....I hope he's made permanent.

• Love 9

Ken didn't speak too fast for me, but I listen to many things at 1.25X or quicker (never J!) so perhaps I'm used to it.  I wasn't going to say anything about it, but I just read an interesting perspective elsewhere: that perhaps Ken reads quickly as a result of his extensive experience moderating quiz bowl tournaments lately, when quick reading is expected and indeed moderators can be dinged if they are too slow.  I thought that was interesting to think about.  I did quiz bowl but can't really remember that being something that worried me.  Anyway, if the producers want Ken to speak slower, I hope he'll take the note, but just slow enough that we keep clearing boards.

• Love 4

I came here to grudgingly admit that I think Ken did just fine.  He will never be Alex (who is iconic and should have been immortal), but despite some awkwardness in the interview portion, I could stand to have him as a permanent addition.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, NYGirl said:

My husband and I think this was because Ken knew the answers lol. He barely if at all had to look at the answers. Where's Alex did. 

Anyhow, I thought he did a good job and liked that he kept the game in Alex's style. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Ken didn't speak too fast for me, but I listen to many things at 1.25X or quicker (never J!) so perhaps I'm used to it. 

Heh, I do the same (my ipod is set to play podcasts at "faster" speed, which I figured out is 1.25, and on my computer I play them at 1.4 in windows media player; youtube videos I often play at 1.25 or 1.5, depending on the video). Maybe that's why I didn't think he was reading particularly fast as I watched. I saw an article on TVLine this morning and read some of the comments. Most were positive, several commented on his speed in reading the clues but figured he needed some time to settle in and get the timing and cadence down. A few commented on his higher pitched voice being distracting, though it didn't bother me. Overall people seemed to think he did a good job for his first game, and no one was particularly critical which was nice.

• Love 5

I think Katie Couric will do just fine and I’m okay with getting a few women in there to try. Aisha Tyler is another person I’d like to see get a chance. I would really like for Ben Mankiewicz from TCM to get a chance, but he has many irons in the fire and might not want to give up any of those other jobs he has. 

• Love 1

So I just saw this: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-quarterback-aaron-rodgers-will-be-a-guest-host-on-jeopardy/

No.  Just no.

I realize that he did win when he was on Celebrity Jeopardy, and maybe it is just a guest hosting opportunity with no expectation of getting the permanent job, because I can't see them taping around his schedule.  

I thought the point of having guest hosts was to find the best possible replacement for Alex.  If they are just letting people try out for kicks that kind of defeats the purpose.  

Not everyone is a fan of Ken Jennings, but he knows the game, and I think he did a good job last night.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I appreciated how Ken's real fondness for Alex and for the show came through.  About halfway through the game I was thinking - "he talks just a bit too fast" and "his voice is just a bit too high" and then I realized (laughing at myself) "He's just not Alex."  So I relaxed and tried to enjoy the game.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I thought the point of having guest hosts was to find the best possible replacement for Alex. 

It has never been explicitly acknowledged as an audition process, just a series of guest hosts to give them time to make a decision (and the audience time to get used to someone other than Alex being up there), and it seems clear there are going to be some who are not remotely in contention for a permanent gig, but simply guest hosts - celebrities who like the game and who the audience might enjoy seeing play at being host for a week.  That runs the risk of feeling gimmicky - which is, I'm sure, why they started with someone who has extensive history with the show and could potentially take the reins for good - but we'll see. 

I'm here for the clues, so I don't particularly care who guest hosts unless it's someone I can't stand, but if someone I really like is announced, that might tickle me.  Time will tell.

What I wonder is if they'll wind up thinking they made a mistake taping so many with Ken, to start with such a long run with one person; if the audience gets into a groove with him, they may find it jarring to have someone else show up. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

What I wonder is if they'll wind up thinking they made a mistake taping so many with Ken, to start with such a long run with one person; if the audience gets into a groove with him, they may find it jarring to have someone else show up. 

When does the season end? Ken did six weeks worth of games; I wonder how many guest hosts there will be and how long each will run. I can't imagine they would have someone do that many if they're not under serious consideration.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

it seems clear there are going to be some who are not remotely in contention for a permanent gig, but simply guest hosts

Silver lining? If anyone's not good at it, those who are will look even better in comparison!

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

When does the season end?

I've seen August 13, but *gesturing all around* who knows?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I thOught Ken was fantastic. He seems to really "get it" - love of the game, respectful and genuine. 

I like that he has a deep connection to the game - not sure i want an outsider coming in. 

And not Katie Couric - she's had her time. Same with Meredith Viera.  They have nothing to offer as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 9

Seasons 32-35 ran until about July 31st, followed by a hiatus until about September 15th.  Season 36 ran until only about June 15th and the present season 37 began "on time" about September 15th.  So they "owe us" six weeks, eight if we count the fortnight off for Best of Alex.  I haven't heard anything at all about when things will wrap up but if we go until August 13th as dcalley heard, we would "get back" two weeks.  Ken's six weeks take us to February 19th, so there is lots of room for others.  (Forgive me if I've missed anything.)

I have no interest at all in seeing Aaron Rodgers, but that's fine, I'm not the only one they have to please.  Whatever else I may think about him, a quick peek at his Twitter showed a nice message in November about Alex's passing with a fond recollection of watching regularly.  Either he's savvy and playing a long game, or he's a genuine fan.  I would rather believe the latter and have no reason not to, so I hope he enjoys it and proves me wrong.  This article suggests that Aaron probably spoke before the show was ready to announce, which earns a facepalm from me.

I wonder who else we'll see.  I'd prefer a smaller number of fairly serious contenders for multiple weeks each over a string of gimmicks.  Is it too dramatic to say that the ritual of the show is important to me?  I want things to feel more settled than a string of one weekers.  We were all talking about Gwen Ifill in the main thread a few days ago, and I would've loved to see her do it.  I think very highly of her then-colleague now-successor Judy Woodruff, and watch her every weeknight, but I think she has not much of a sense of humor.  Otherwise I'd be happy to see her try her hand.

• Love 1

My husband and I both thought Ken did a really good job. It was weird, because he wasn't Alex, but I mean, everyone in the world would be weird at this point. He does have a higher pitched voice and seems faster, but watching some of the old games in the few weeks of repeats, Alex sounded so different that we were wondering if commercials were longer now, and they were speeding the episode up, because he was so high pitched and fast. I really thought he struck a respectful tone, and did a great job acknowledging his absence without being totally depressing. It will never be the same without Alex, but we can definitely listen to this.

Also, I had to check to see if today was April 1st when they announced Aaron Rodgers as a guest host. My 15 year old was disappointed, and said he would never make it through all the clues, because "he doesn't know what he is talking about, and talks kind of slow", and for sports, she wears jersey #36, because that is Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck all added together.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, estellasmum said:

My husband and I both thought Ken did a really good job. It was weird, because he wasn't Alex, but I mean, everyone in the world would be weird at this point. He does have a higher pitched voice and seems faster, but watching some of the old games in the few weeks of repeats, Alex sounded so different that we were wondering if commercials were longer now, and they were speeding the episode up, because he was so high pitched and fast. I really thought he struck a respectful tone, and did a great job acknowledging his absence without being totally depressing. It will never be the same without Alex, but we can definitely listen to this.

Yeah, Alex was definitely faster in the early seasons. Never really noticed that much difference in pitch, but maybe a little higher back then. I wonder if he ever worked with a voice coach; if Ken stays on maybe they could have him do that.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, seasons said:

I thOught Ken was fantastic. He seems to really "get it" - love of the game, respectful and genuine. 

I like that he has a deep connection to the game - not sure i want an outsider coming in. 

And not Katie Couric - she's had her time. Same with Meredith Viera.  They have nothing to offer as far as I'm concerned.

Missed Ken on Monday and watched last night. I thought he did a fine job. Meredith has her own game show and no to Katie.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I liked the speed of Ken's reading the clues because the game didn't drag. However, he will probably need to slow down. I imagine some jeopardy watchers like that little bit of time to process while the clue is being read. 

Yeah, I read faster than they can speak and my personal Jeopardy stage has no rules about waiting for him to finish before answering. 😉

• Love 3