Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

On 3/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder if when the selected run of stunt hosts is over, will they need to choose more? Is there a chance they'd give Sarah or Jimmy ClueCrew a chance at hosting?  Would they even want to try?

Because I saw clips of him reading questions for the show,, and doing a great job, I thought of Leonard Maltin.  But he'd certainly only be a guest host, since he's way too old to do the job for good. 

I know very little about Aaron Rogers but I thought he did a pretty good job, if somewhat on the low key side. He related well to the contestants.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Trey said:

I know very little about Aaron Rogers but I thought he did a pretty good job, if somewhat on the low key side.

I enjoyed his first day. As for the low key thing so many are complaining about, give Leslie Jones 30 seconds of hosting and then see which you prefer!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I know very little about Aaron Rogers but I thought he did a pretty good job, if somewhat on the low key side. He related well to the contestants.

I knew zip about Aaron Rodgers and saw him yesterday for the first time on the gigantic 56" TV my son-in-law gave me. Wow. As the saying goes: I may be old, but I'm not dead, LOL. Every time he smiled his blue eyes sparkled. No kidding. And he was so charming and sweet and seemingly modest. My west-coast daughter who is just a few years older older than Aaron is a Packers fan -- and now I'm wondering if he is the reason, LOL.
I don't think he'd be available for a permanent host position, but either he or someone like him could possibly re-introduce Jeopardy to a new generation, keeping the franchise going, and offering a realm of competition that requires neither willingness to suffer traumatic brain injury nor that relies entirely on pop culture knowledge. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7

If Burton is not at least among the hosts they're interviewing for the gig, I will be pissed, since he has expressly said he's interested.  He and Aisha Tyler top my list of people with hosting experience I can most see doing a good job with J!  I don't watch any current game shows other than J!, so I don't know who among those hosts might be a good fit.

• Love 7

Funny how different people have totally different reactions to these hosts. I like Aaron best so far. Sure, he's beyond laid-back, but this isn't a flashy show and doesn't need a flashy host. I like his style.

• Love 15

I could totally get behind Geordi hosting, with Data as judge and phaser buzzers. That's a show I would definitely watch. If your opponent got too far ahead, you could just point your "buzzer" at him, dialed to "stun." Or "kill," depending.

• LOL 3

While I have no objection to LeVar Burton guest hosting, or Aisha Tyler who I quite enjoy on Whose Line, I cannot disagree with a word of this (except about knowing who he is:)

On 4/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

I knew zip about Aaron Rodgers and saw him yesterday for the first time on the gigantic 56" TV my son-in-law gave me. Wow. As the saying goes: I may be old, but I'm not dead, LOL. Every time he smiled his blue eyes sparkled. No kidding. And he was so charming and sweet and seemingly modest. My west-coast daughter who is just a few years older older than Aaron is a Packers fan -- and now I'm wondering if he is the reason, LOL.

I sent messages to all the women I know who would know who Aaron Rodgers is and who also watch Jeopardy (not that many, admittedly) and we all agreed that man can wear a suit.... 😍

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

...I sent messages to all the women I know who would know who Aaron Rodgers is and who also watch Jeopardy (not that many, admittedly) and we all agreed that man can wear a suit.... 😍

LOL! I'm glad I'm not (now) the only one living in the small intersection of that Venn diagram. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have noticed that Aaron Rogers is filling in the info on the answers when the contestant answers with only the last name, or if the question refers to something that might be unfamiliar to many viewers.  If I remember correctly, Dr. Oz, didn't do that, and I know that several times, I wanted to know more information.  I think Aaron has loosened up a bit, and I'm enjoying his run as guest host.

• Love 4

Next three guest hosts & their dates: https://www.primetimer.com/item/Jeopardy-reveals-dates-for-the-next-three-guest-hosts-GdSwXq Interestingly, there seems to be a two-week gap in the dates (between Bill Whittaker and Mayim Bialik)---mid-May. Could that be when the ToC is (and they aren't announcing who'll be hosting it)? We know that there will be a ToC this year (otherwise, why would Ken mention that "you just missed the cutoff date for this year's ToC").

• Love 1

I said last week that I would enjoy it if Aaron's Celebrity game was a YouTube extra or something.  The show's official channel has not put it up, and I believe unsanctioned links are not welcome here, but one might find this game by searching for the names of the competitors.  The other two were Mark Kelly, the astronaut and senator, and Kevin O'Leary of "Shark Tank."

Didn't Alex say he thought Aaron was one of few Celebrity contestants he thought would do well on the regular show?  Many stories about his hosting gig have certainly described it as a display of bravura.  I don't understand the hype at all.  He certainly racked up 8,399 more points than I ever have, and was a bit ahead for most of the game, but not by much, and one of his opponents was so thick that he not only offered as many incorrect as correct responses but also seemed to misspell his own nickname, "Mr. Wonderful[l]."  (I grudgingly admit that it might have been a fuzzily rendered exclamation point.)

I didn't see anything to make me believe he could hold his own against the normal contestant pool with questions at the regular level of difficulty.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the publicity was a bit over-egged, and maybe Alex was just speaking kindly about a friend or something, but I feel a bit let down somehow.  I will say, on a shallow note, that I understood a bit more what those who find him attractive see.  The facial hair he wears now is not to my taste, and the six year aging did not flatter him either.  Of course, he might say the same about me if he saw a photo taken in 2015.  I'm fascinated by how we all see some things differently.  I guess we'd be pretty bored otherwise.

I still think he is doing a fine job at hosting, for someone without a background in this line of work, and does especially well interviewing the contestants, certainly better than others we've seen who I preferred in the role overall.  I wish him no ill, and it seems he would make a fine talking head for football broadcasting if he wanted to go that route, but I can't say I'm in a hurry to see him do anything I watch.  I also think his charity is fantastic, so mazel tov.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I still think he is doing a fine job at hosting, for someone without a background in this line of work, and does especially well interviewing the contestants, certainly better than others we've seen who I preferred in the role overall

I thought Aaron Rodgers was noticeably improved between his first week of hosting and Monday of his second week, which indicated to me that he must have spent the weekend reviewing his own performance and perhaps highlights of others, just as he would in an effort to deliver his best performance in his football career. While it is probably unlikely that he will be selected as the new permanent host, I do believe he would work harder than any of the others to be a host worthy of that role, and would ultimately be the best choice. 

ETA: 
This article dated just yesterday about the guest hosts seems to confirm my assessment of Rodgers: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4/12/22376095/jeopardy-guest-host-rotation-ken-jennings-dr-oz-aaron-rodgers

Each host arrives at the show with their own idiosyncrasies. “Aaron Rodgers came in so prepared it was unbelievable,” Richards says. “He approached this like he was breaking down game footage. He watched a ton of episodes and he came in with questions like, ‘Now if this happens, how do I deal with it?’ And I was like, ‘Well, that doesn’t really happen.’ And he said, ‘I saw one! I want to know because I want to be prepared.’ He came in prepared like an MVP quarterback would for a huge game.”

Indeed, Rodgers prepared with film study—and lots of it. He pulled up episode after episode of Jeopardy!, watching each on mute as he stood in as host in front of his TV. “You’ve got to learn the form,” Rodgers says. “It’s looking down to read the clue and then looking up to call on a contestant, and also understanding what the answer is in case none of the contestants get it right, and then realizing at that point that you’ve got to work on your posture and where you’re looking and know who you’re talking to when you give that response.”

The quarterback was, it seems, a hit, even with the staff. Jimmy McGuire of the Clue Crew weighed in, says Lindsay Wilcox, one of the contestants who played with Rodgers. “He said Aaron Rodgers was the best guest host they had seen so far.”

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Crap. At least it's not Austin.

Thank you - you found the one bit of silver lining in that news, and I'm not quite as annoyed now.

11 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Whyyyy would they not at least get Brad Rutter?

That was my next thought, too.

• Love 4

On the plus side, the article I read about Buzzy & the ToC said that "due to the fact he had to work closely with the staff, he will be ineligible to participate in any future tournaments". Meaning, other than this hosting gig (fingers crossed that it's his only hosting gig), we'll never see him again.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I'm really enjoying Aaron hosting. It might be his dimples.

Aaron’s dimples are just one of his attractions. 😉

I was wondering if someone(s) figured if they had to have 2 weeks of Oz, they might as well schedule Oz for the weeks before Aaron Rodgers to boost Aaron’s attractiveness (of his personality) in comparison (because Aaron would be a great person to work with), but, if so, it wasn’t necessary. 😉   
Or maybe the goal was to make Oz look worse by comparison, in which case: Not necessary either, heh.

I initially wanted to have a change to a woman and/or a minority Jeopardy host, but right now I’m on Team Aaron.

There’s been a lot of social media enthusiasm for LeVar Burton, but he’s almost my age, which worries me because I’m so aware of my own increasing frailty and loss of edge. But maybe LeVar is more like Betty White, heh?

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Aaron’s dimples are just one of his attractions. 😉

I was wondering if someone(s) figured if they had to have 2 weeks of Oz, they might as well schedule Oz for the weeks before Aaron Rodgers to boost Aaron’s attractiveness (of his personality) in comparison (because Aaron would be a great person to work with), but, if so, it wasn’t necessary. 😉   
Or maybe the goal was to make Oz look worse by comparison, in which case: Not necessary either, heh.

I initially wanted to have a change to a woman and/or a minority Jeopardy host, but right now I’m on Team Aaron.

There’s been a lot of social media enthusiasm for LeVar Burton, but he’s almost my age, which worries me because I’m so aware of my own increasing frailty and loss of edge. But maybe LeVar is more like Betty White, heh?

Yes I have seen a lot of calls for the producers to just give the job to Levar. I like him. He seems like a really nice, funny & thoughtful person. When Alex first died, he stated on Twitter that he was flattered but maybe a bit too old to start this job. Then, the tide turned and he was then all about getting it. I would really like someone a little younger to get the job. It’s nothing personal against Levar Burton. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HelenBaby said:

Yes I have seen a lot of calls for the producers to just give the job to Levar.

He has the support - including a short video summarizing Burton's accomplishments - of his Star Trek compadre George Takei, who has a large social media following (about 3.2 million on Twitter, in addition to Burton's 2 million).  I'm not sure whether recognizability falls in the "pro" or the "con" column for the Jeopardy job, though. Probably a bit of both. In any case, I'm sure the producers will be monitoring the online "conversation".

My own personal preference remains Ken Jennings, though the last few months have reassured me that Jeopardy could survive just about any host except, perhaps, Steve Harvey.

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Crap. At least it's not Austin.

My thoughts exactly.  I'll watch, but I won't enjoy it as much.

18 hours ago, secnarf said:

I saw that earlier as well. Whyyyy would they not at least get Brad Rutter?

He's my pick for permanent host - well, him or Levar.  (I didn't realize he was 64, he comes across as younger.)

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Sometimes I watch The Chase - Rutter keeps looking more and more frail. Perhaps he's not well.  We don't need to go through THAT again. 

He looked a bit thinner, but I wouldn't say he looked frail.  (I only watched the episodes where he was the expert.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

The first day Aaron Rodgers hosted, the FJ answer was Mr. Rogers.  I wondered if they would have a string of FJs about people named Rodgers/Rogers, but they didn't.

• Love 1
On 4/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

I don't think he'd be available for a permanent host position, but either he or someone like him could possibly re-introduce Jeopardy to a new generation, keeping the franchise going, and offering a realm of competition that requires neither willingness to suffer traumatic brain injury nor that relies entirely on pop culture knowledge. 

Yep. This to the nth power. I'd say more but I hardly know y'all, and this site probably has rules about stuff like my thoughts (re Aaron). *smile*

Congrats on your sil and his generosity... that must be a dilly you have on him. LOL

On 4/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, DXD526 said:

Funny how different people have totally different reactions to these hosts. I like Aaron best so far. Sure, he's beyond laid-back, but this isn't a flashy show and doesn't need a flashy host. I like his style.

Agreed. I especially like his authenticity.

22 hours ago, secnarf said:

I saw that earlier as well. Whyyyy would they not at least get Brad Rutter?

I feel your pain. Truly.

• Love 2
On 4/13/2021 at 4:19 AM, shapeshifter said:

I thought Aaron Rodgers was noticeably improved between his first week of hosting and Monday of his second week, which indicated to me that he must have spent the weekend reviewing his own performance

I’m very glad to see this. I came here to see what this board thought of Rodgers’ performance, because I keep reading about how great he is and personally, I don’t get it. I find him so low key, he’s practically putting me to sleep. BUT, I’m still on his first week of episodes, so it appears things may make more sense soon. 

So far, I’m liking Ken best, as long as learns how to say the word “no” without making it sound like he’s judging the contestant’s entire worth. (“Noooooo?”)

Katie Couric was fine, although she came across like a school teacher explaining algebra to 3rd graders. Mike Richards was better, but still seemed a little too “announcery”. I skipped Dr. Oz, because I watch Jeopardy to relax, not get angry. Looking forward to Anderson Cooper, whom I adore. Sad to see it looks like Brad Rutter will not get a chance. Disappointed that Buzzy was chosen to host TOC because, ugh, Buzzy.

I’m still intrigued by the idea of LeVar Burton, although his self promotion efforts are sounding a bit pompous, at least to me. He doesn’t “believe there is anyone out there who is better suited to this job than me”? Maybe true, I don’t know, but dial it back a little, Geordi. 

Edited by 30 Helens
Auto correct is clearly not a Jeopardy fan
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I cannot stand Rogers for the host of jeopardy.  I find his monotone voice sleep inducing.  And I don't find him all that attractive either so there isn't even that going for him, IMHO.

For some reason, my FB keeps showing me random articles about how great he's doing and I simply don't get it.  He's not the worse (Couric/Oz would fill that role) but he's far from their best guest host thus far.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I cannot stand Rogers for the host of jeopardy.  I find his monotone voice sleep inducing.  And I don't find him all that attractive either so there isn't even that going for him, IMHO.

For some reason, my FB keeps showing me random articles about how great he's doing and I simply don't get it.  He's not the worse (Couric/Oz would fill that role) but he's far from their best guest host thus far.  

Thank you! Lol, I'm the only one I know who just doesn't understand why everyone seems to be going gaga over him. 

I mean he's okay as a host, but like you, I just find him so...blah, lol.

• Love 4
On 4/13/2021 at 4:19 AM, shapeshifter said:

I thought Aaron Rodgers was noticeably improved between his first week of hosting and Monday of his second week, which indicated to me that he must have spent the weekend reviewing his own performance and perhaps highlights of others, just as he would in an effort to deliver his best performance in his football career.

Don't they film this over two days?  5 on one day and then 5 on the next?  I doubt he had a weekend. 

I did like this story on his Instagram about behind the scenes.

18 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m still intrigued by the idea of LeVar Burton, although his self promotion efforts are sounding a bit pompous, at least to me.

Maybe but I do think it's kind of sad that he has to self promote and wasn't asked as soon as his name was floated very early on.

• Love 5

Honestly, I'm still pinning my hopes on Mayim Bialik.  Every instinct I have says she's likely to be brilliant at this. Smart (an actual neuroscientist), funny, well spoken, etc. She's even young enough to do the job for decades, if necessary. 

• Love 4

I can see where having a former champion hosting the TOC makes sense.  At least he is familiar with the process.  Honestly, Buzzy did not annoy me that much.  I think he will be an decent host.

The Chase was  just renewed by ABC- maybe Ken and Brad were not available.

• Love 1

I really liked Aaron Rodgers during his two weeks.  Although I'm sorry to see him go, I don't really see him as the full time host.

I am looking forward to seeing Buzzy Cohen host the ToC.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

Honestly, I'm still pinning my hopes on Mayim Bialik.  Every instinct I have says she's likely to be brilliant at this. Smart (an actual neuroscientist), funny, well spoken, etc. She's even young enough to do the job for decades, if necessary. 

I'm still hoping Mayim might be the one too, for the reasons you give, as well as being a woman and not a "WASP," which I think is important for the public to see in this role of a respected and beloved public figure.

But I'd also still love to see Mayim get regular "vacations" in which she passes the ball to lovely Aaron Rodgers, who graciously runs with it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-buck-will-guest-host-jeopardy-put-himself-in-the-running-for-permanent-job-142206896.html

Ugh. Not as bad as Dr. Oz, but that's another two weeks I'm not watching.

I do have to say, while I don't want him to be a permanent host, I was pleasantly surprised by Aaron Rodgers, and thought he did better than expected. He's a little low energy for me, personally, but it was fun to see his sense of humor.

• Love 1

I detest Joe Buck with so much passion, it is unrelenting. I no longer watch the NFL on FOX because his voice grates so I catch the highlights on You Tube...even the 10 minutes with him is still too long..I would take Katie Couric back over Joe Buck...crap...crap....crap......

(Back to your forum now)....

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Am I the only one anywhere who doesn't care who the host is? I watch for the clues/answers and could not care less about how a host speaks or what he/she says. It's all edited to fit in the time slot. And while lightning might strike me, as proven by some of my posts in past-season threads, I found Trebek to be pompous, snarky, sexist and condescending more often than not with players, especially to those with low scores. And before he got sick, he constantly turned contestant interviews to about himself and what he's done and where he's gone. He got notably nicer after his diagnosis.

Sure, I was affected and saddened by his death, but I'm enjoying all of the different hosts and don't give a care who is chosen to head up Season 38. And I'm looking forward to Buzztronics hosting the ToC. Good For Him!

See, I told ya it would happen.

lightningStrike.jpg.d32371373d47c29c95c14bbd1cfd2b28.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4