Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

As far as the stories go, when you pass the test and are invited to audition you have to give them 5 personal anecdotes.  I have had two auditions, the first in person, and the second on Zoom last year.  
At the first audition they asked everyone about one of the provided anecdotes.  There were some pretty interesting stories- one guy talked about how he had a beer with George W Bush.  When it was my turn I had an exciting story about how when my dog heard the Jeopardy theme music he plunked himself down in his bed because he knew he would not get his walk before it was over. I did not get called the first time, despite doing very well on the test and the mock game.  I am convinced I was too boring.

Last year they did not ask us about our stories during the Zoom audition.  I’m still waiting.  Too bad because in the time between the two auditions I had an experience which was much more interesting than talking about my dog. 😁

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 12

Maybe as a group project we could come up with some fake anecdotes in case of any of us get the call and don't have a stock of stories already. Something really outlandish like "I taught my goldfish to talk but he kept forgetting how" or "under hypnosis I recalled a past life in which I was an average person in ancient Egypt."

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Maybe as a group project we could come up with some fake anecdotes in case of any of us get the call and don't have a stock of stories already. Something really outlandish like "I taught my goldfish to talk but he kept forgetting how" or "under hypnosis I recalled a past life in which I was an average person in ancient Egypt."

Or maybe the show could just stop with the uninteresting personal crap from boring Joe Schmos and fit in a few more questions.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the best route might be for the show to proceed without a host at all.  It wouldn't take much altering.  Just have the clues pop up on the screen.  Nobody has to read them out loud.  Contestants can buzz in and answer.  A sound effect could tell them if they were correct or not.  I, for one, would not miss the little mid-show interviews, which have always been my least favorite part of the show.  (Seriously, if some of the things contestants talk about are the most interesting tidbits about their lives, then I am seriously saddened for them.)  But, if they insist on keeping the interviews, just have the contestant look into the camera and tell something about themselves.  Presto, no need for a host at all.   

Whaaaaat? Oh my god no. Seriously that is a terrible idea for both the viewers and the contestants. 

• Love 18
On 8/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, Leeds said:

If Ken Jennings is named as host I won't be watching.

YES!!! I loathe Ken Jennings and his smarmy, know it all vibe...plus, he's so unattractive. 

If he is chosen, I'm out. I'm getting really irritated at the way the producers have made a mess of this show. Leading the audience on all summer with guest hosts that they dangled in front of us as "possible hosts" all the while knowing that they had chosen Mike Richards...whose past history they apparently never looked into, or did know about but ignored or just didn't think it was a big deal. Alex Trebek is rolling in his grave.

• Love 3
On 8/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, Doctor Whom said:

I’m not sure why the host of a game show needs any sort of intellectual “credibility.” On the other hand quite a few people really feel that Jeopardy! sort of transcends game shows and that the host should be seen as a public intellectual.  I don’t see it that way but a lot of people do.

Change the term "game show" to "quiz show" (which Jeopardy is), and the requirement makes more sense.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Or maybe the show could just stop with the uninteresting personal crap from boring Joe Schmos and fit in a few more questions.

Well, anyone who doesn't want to think about the host and couldn't give a damn about the contestants should just buy the video game and set it to three AI players. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Well, not a Mayim fan (found her host stint more about her than the show). Thankfully, I have the option to not watch.  Maybe I'll start watching Wheel of Fortune instead.  They better start getting prepared for whenever Pat decides to leave...

Related to Ken Jennings, he isn't doing really well as a trivia master on The Chase, so he may be dimming his own reputation.  I would watch him but would prefer others.

Why the need for a "name" host?  Maybe they would be better off holding open casting calls or even accepting applications from local news anchors/meteorologists?  Maybe the show would be better off separating from this mess as much as possible.  Hey, I'm available...but, actually based on reading so many wonderful and insightful comments on this and other threads, I think many of you would be well qualified to be considered for the hosting position.  It might add new life to the show to bring in someone who is not well-known.

Edited by seacliffsal
edited to comment on Ken Jennings and his performance on The Chase
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Why the need for a "name" host?  Maybe they would be better off holding open casting calls or even accepting applications from local news anchors/meteorologists? 

Ooo! I would ❤️love❤️ to have a meteorologist become the new Jeopardy! host.

• Love 1

Ken, Mayim and Buzzy have been my favorites this whole time, but I'm really starting to think David Faber would be the best choice.  He's not a celebrity, no big controversies in his background (that we know of lol), and he had the perfect mix of being an authoritative presence as host while also knowing when to fade into the background to let the contestants shine.

Of course, if we can just demand that our favorite celeb get the job simply because they were a part of our childhood and we really, really like them, then I will soon be starting my Twitter campaign for Boy George to be the new host.

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Why the need for a "name" host?  Maybe they would be better off holding open casting calls

I agree with this. Looking for a celebrity host is setting themselves up for drama. I think the fact that they had the same host for a few decades meant they simply had never really had to prove themselves capable of handling any kind of transition and they don't really understand the show itself. 

Alex was not a big celebrity when they hired him. They are trying to use the same model they use for shows based on sets with flashy colors/lights/music/gags and gimmicks, instead of understanding that J! is a completely different model, based on quiet, simple, sober. I don't think it will work to transition the show to the usual game show glitz and glamour. People don't watch it for that, and I don't think that viewers who want that will find the actual gameplay interesting.

I think having the guest hosts for a transitional period, and selling it as a charity operation, was a fine idea. But they either need to just make the charity aspect an on-going principle of the show and keep doing it, or they need to choose a new host who is in keeping with the past model where Alex was really only famous for being the J! host, and not bringing a lot of other distractions into the situation. 

Telling people who are already famous for other things that they need to give up the rest of their careers in order to host J! was some arrogant bullshit. It was bound to create weirdness and it had built in drama from people who already love or hate them or who wanted their own preferred people to "win" the honor. 

Then hiring someone internally after all of that, and letting it be someone with a vile personality and who ran a dishonest process? So many unforced errors, it makes the entire operation seem both incompetent and icky.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 12
17 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

At the first audition they asked everyone about one of the provided anecdotes.  There were some pretty interesting stories- one guy talked about how he had a beer with George W Bush.  When it was my turn I had an exciting story about how when my dog heard the Jeopardy theme music he plunked himself down in his bed because he knew he would not get his walk before it was over. I did not get called the first time, despite doing very well on the test and the mock game.  I am convinced I was too boring.

Last year they did not ask us about our stories during the Zoom audition.  I’m still waiting.  Too bad because in the time between the two auditions I had an experience which was much more interesting than talking about my dog. 😁

Aw, I love your dog story! What was more interesting? I like the contestant interviews. No, they’re not always interesting, but they tell us a bit about the person, or give us an opportunity to mock them (which I find rude, but whatever…).

• Love 6
On 8/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, shlbycindyk said:

I've watched Jeopardy since I was a kid and Art Fleming was the host.  Back then it was on in the early afternoon and my mom would watch it every day.  

Same here! I'm not a Jennings fan either, even before the past comments came to light. I don't know that I'll stop watching entirely, but I likely won't watch as much if he is the new permanent host.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

Of course, if we can just demand that our favorite celeb get the job simply because they were a part of our childhood and we really, really like them, then I will soon be starting my Twitter campaign for Boy George to be the new host.

I think we need a new thread to nominate our best, most ludicrous hosts.  I'll take Prince Charles for $200 please.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, ABay said:

Fun to laugh about, but I saw it actually happen! When I was a contestant, in the green room the contestant coordinator was reviewing our applications and the stories we'd submitted before we went out to play the game, and said to one of us, "So, I see here that you took a scary walk on that clear walkway over the Grand Canyon! Tell us more about that!" And the contestant was like, "Yeah, no, I didn't do that. I just wrote it down because I thought it sounded interesting." It just seemed kind of...icky and not in the spirit of the game, and it put the coordinator in a weird position. 

Edited by Iseut
  • Love 2

Well, you have to think it through! That contestant should've started with the scary Grand Canyon skywalk (I feel wobbly just think of that, personally) and then made up details in case he was called on it.

• Love 2

Although I think it is icky the way people are campaigning for Levar I don't blame him or think he deserves hate for it or for actively disclosing he is interested.

You don't know if you don't try.  I don't think of it as something to joke about. If MR was that involved it may also explain why he was not contacted since he had expressed interest when Alex floated retirement.  At this point he should distance him self.

People are getting worked up talking abt a diversity hire etc. Unfortunately he or any other POC will face a lot of hate.

I wonder if he would have grown into it if they had just had him or someone else ready to jump in when Alex passed? Since Alex had already talked about retirement before he disclosed an illness that would have been the smart thing to do.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Mario500 said:

That was a great interview, @Mario500.*
One new take-away for me:
Claire McNear talks about the decades-long Jeopardy! crew and staff having low morale when Mike Richards was producing, so she interviewed his previous place of producing, The Price Is Right, and discovered low morale there too when MR was producer.
HOWEVER,  (and I am NOT trying to imply Mike Richards is a nice guy) in both situations, there were older, set-in-their-ways crews who had just lost their leaders. Even if nice guys LeVar Burton or Mr. Rogers (Fred, not Aaron, but sure, Aaron too) had taken over in those situations as producers, it would have been tough for the old-timers to adjust to changes.

*Yes, I did drag your post over to this thread. Hope you don't mind.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

I think we need a new thread to nominate our best, most ludicrous hosts.  I'll take Prince Charles for $200 please.

Now there's someone who probably has some awkward tweets, or at least voicemails!  I suppose if nothing else, it would give Harry and Meghan something else to talk to Oprah about.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

That sitcom will get canceled and the problem will be solved.  As usual a horrible remake of a good British show...like when they tried to recreate Coupling....and no, I did not like the US The Office Remake either....

It was astonishing how bad the American version of Coupling was.  And as for The Office - just one of many reasons why TV shows should quit while they're ahead.

• Love 1

Honestly, I want them to pick someone who is not an ass and be done with it.  Fans of various potential hosts will never agree and will keep lobbying throughout the guest hosts weeks.  The execs get paid the big bucks.  Now, they've fucked up once, but just earn the money now.  Every day there is a delay it is just so stupid and damaging for the show.  Enough!  Honest to god, they are languishing in the same boat as Bachelor in Paradise with guest hosts! That is not a good boat or comparison for this show.  

I think Ken is a bit of an ass.  I'll get over it.  I think Mayim has some issues.  I'll get over it.  I think Levar might not be best choice.  I'll get over it.  And so on and so on and so on.  

Just do something that  is a move away from the ass and let's go.  If it's not working after a year: new contract, new host.  The limbo is gonna get them. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 15
19 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Aw, I love your dog story! What was more interesting? I like the contestant interviews. No, they’re not always interesting, but they tell us a bit about the person, or give us an opportunity to mock them (which I find rude, but whatever…).

I enjoy the contestant interviews too. More than once they've made me like a contestant I was hesitant about (and vice versa). Some don't have the most interesting stories in the world, but on some low level, the fact that they chose them as their stories is interesting.

I know that I (and possibly others here) have my stories all set - though I'm never going to be on. I have a couple of good ones. More than I'd need. 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I enjoy the contestant interviews too. More than once they've made me like a contestant I was hesitant about (and vice versa). Some don't have the most interesting stories in the world, but on some low level, the fact that they chose them as their stories is interesting.

I know that I (and possibly others here) have my stories all set - though I'm never going to be on. I have a couple of good ones. More than I'd need. 🤣

These interviews are sometimes my favorite part of the show.  And the ones with the current champ really have made him more endearing than his game playing to me.

Edited by cinsays
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:
On 8/24/2021 at 11:35 AM, shapeshifter said:

Ooo! I would ❤️love❤️ to have a meteorologist become the new Jeopardy! host.

I've got just the candidate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHm_3HHJdAY

😂 😂 😂

How about Joe Moravsky ("The Weatherman") from American Ninja Warrior? They can build a warped wall leading up to the set for him.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 3
On 8/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, eelpout said:

PS. I do wonder if the irate LeVar Burton fans actually watched the entire time he was on?

I did.  Although, to be fair, I'm disappointed that he didn't get the job, not irate.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, catrice2 said:

I am continually amazed at people who hold those in entertainment (known for people pretending to be something they are not) to a higher standard than those who are making actual decisions about  our lives.  Nothing any of these people do would surprise me.  I can admire their craft and artistry without admiring them as a person. We all need to learn to make the separation. 

Do I think Mike Richards and whomever else went about this the wrong way? Absolutely.  But I think we all need to be really careful about living in a glass house devoting so much energy to getting worked up to people who don't affect our lives. 

A) you're assuming that those who've criticized the hiring of Mike Richards as Jeopardy host were holding him to a higher standard than they do politicians and government officials, which is probably wrong in most cases, and

B) commenting on the internet is hardly devoting a great amount of energy to the subject.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:23 AM, blueray said:

And as stupid as it is, having not watched him host (I still see him as Gordi). Which of course made me start day dreaming about the funniest ST character (actor playing them) to host Jeopardy. Probably Worf or Garak lol. 

Garak would've been an awesome host.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
On 8/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, eelpout said:

PS. I do wonder if the irate LeVar Burton fans actually watched the entire time he was on?

I did.  Although, to be fair, I'm disappointed that he didn't get the job, not irate.

Don't think that counts. 😉

If they were to choose a not-yet-famous perspn who is competent, that would be fine with me.

If they were to scrape the bottom of the barrel far enough to reach the "disgraced politician" level, that would not be fine.  Not at all.  (I haven't heard that they might, but such a person might reach out to them to get publicity.)

• Love 2
On 8/23/2021 at 7:30 PM, shapeshifter said:
On 8/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, seasons said:

Would Sony really keep MR as executive producer after this?…

Maybe MR is negotiating a buyout in exchange for quietly going away?

Is MR reading my posts??😆
From the NY Times

Mr. Richards has agreed to undergo sensitivity training....[MR's] spokesman...also swatted away the notion that Mr. Richards might be negotiating an exit from Sony...

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Re: the contestant interviews. I heard they were only there to get the contestants to relax and not get so inside their heads, they freeze out. So, for their mental health, keep those segments...

Yes, the endless chatter about who will host hurts the game in the long run. As long as they are not with the obvious choice of Bonnie Hunt, can they at least include more music categories so I can feel smart?

• Love 3

Some more interesting bits from the NY Times article I cited above:

...Sony has tapped a veteran business and legal affairs executive at the studio, Suzanne Prete, to oversee Mr. Richards at the show and “take more of an active presence on the creative direction and strategy.” 

...Meredith Vieira, ...one television personality who was eager to try out as a guest host....was not offered an audition, with the studio saying it was not interested in anyone currently hosting another game show, according to three people familiar with the audition process who spoke on condition of anonymity. (Ms. Vieira hosts a syndicated show based on a board game called “25 Words or Less.”)
[But] Mr. Richards, an experienced game show host himself...

...As a relatively obscure figure, [MR] would command a smaller salary than better-known contenders like LeVar Burton or Anderson Cooper. Mr. Richards’s compensation as host and executive producer was believed to be significantly lower than Mr. Trebek’s pay.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps most unpopular opinion:
I would like to see them rerun Alex reading clues for new contestants.

It's unpopular with me. I don't mind seeing reruns of older episodes, but having Alex "interact" with new contestants in this way from beyond the grave is just too ghoulish for me, and I would not watch it.

9 hours ago, Driad said:

If they were to choose a not-yet-famous perspn who is competent, that would be fine with me.

That does seem sensible, but it really goes against current game show trends, so we may be out of luck. I'm actually having trouble thinking of any new game show hosts on either the main networks or GSN that are NOT already known for acting/singing/stand-up comedy/etc. The days of someone breaking into the biz as merely a game show host may be over.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Cherpumple said:

It's unpopular with me. I don't mind seeing reruns of older episodes, but having Alex "interact" with new contestants in this way from beyond the grave is just too ghoulish for me, and I would not watch it.

Besides, they'd never have any new clues...how could Trebek read them? We'd just the same clues over and over.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps most unpopular opinion:
I would like to see them rerun Alex reading clues for new contestants.

4 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

After some more thought, I did consider that it could be too sad or disturbing. But they are still showing reruns with Alex 6 days a week anyway --which have been a kind of comfort food for me.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Besides, they'd never have any new clues...how could Trebek read them? We'd just the same clues over and over.

I wasn't too worried about the "over and over" part since there are 8,200 episodes to cycle through.
But not having any new clues would make it more of a game about history, which might not be so bad. There are The Chase and other shows including the most current facts and figures.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Based on recent stories about Val Kilmer and Anthony Bourdain, I think the technology exists to create an AI voice based off of Trebek's recordings that could read entirely new clues. I personally would not want the show to do that, I'm just saying I think it's technologically possible. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Having Alex's disembodied voice, or even his CGI-bodied voice would be way too creepy.  Like those Jimmy Dean commercials.

Or Natalie Cole "singing" duets with her father Nat King Cole (creepy indeed).

• Love 6

I highly recommend this essay by Kareem Abul-Jabbar. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Why the Host of ‘Jeopardy!’ Matters

On 8/25/2021 at 5:40 AM, icemiser69 said:

TPTB at Jeopardy are making a huge mistake.  They are making the "drama" of who is going to be the next Jeopardy host more important than the game show itself and it is dividing their audience.

ITA. They turned the search for the new host of a game show into a reality show.

As you noted, I think the auditions were a mistake because it created factions (Buzzy, Mayim, Levar etc.) amongst the viewers. Which is the exact opposite of what Alex embodied. He might be the last person in American popular culture that was almost universally respected.

Because of the tragic circumstances of Alex's departure from the show  and death, they had plenty of time to make a smooth transition to a named successor. Perhaps one of the people Alex had previously suggested. 

As for Richards, I don't understand why he is still around. It's not like he created the franchise and guided it for decades. I assume he played a role in creating the audition system which turned into a total shitshow that has seriously damaged the reputation of one of the crown jewels of Sony Entertainment. And that's before all the other stuff.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 12
On 8/25/2021 at 3:13 PM, proserpina65 said:

A) you're assuming that those who've criticized the hiring of Mike Richards as Jeopardy host were holding him to a higher standard than they do politicians and government officials, which is probably wrong in most cases, and

B) commenting on the internet is hardly devoting a great amount of energy to the subject.

Garak would've been an awesome host.

Entitled to your opinion, and you are ASSUMING that I was solely talking about the MR situation...it is easy to judge other people behind a keyboard and I know I am guilty of that myself...

I am learning to be  "Kinder and gentler" person...

• Love 1