Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

Joe Buck is scheduled to be a contestant on Celebrity Family Feud this Sunday.
The show’s questions are frequently constructed to elicit the raunchiest responses from the contestants. I’m curious how he will respond in that environment, and will try to record it.

Perhaps this will prove to be a litmus test for those vying to be the next Jeopardy! host —although Alex would not have appeared on the show, regardless of their tax write-offs charitable donations. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Former Jeopardy! contestant and author Arthur Chu's piece in the Washington Post has me thinking that TPTB could have avoided this whole mess if they had followed Alex's death with a few months of tribute reruns ranging from the deep past to the recent past, while they quietly figured out a replacement from behind the scenes. And, of course, not MR. 

That would have been good, or at least one uncontroversial interim host; even the guest hosts weren't a terrible idea (and they did still have the season to finish, after all; pushing all those players back to next season would have sucked for them) but they should have made it clear that none of them were "auditioning" or even being considered for the job.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

This week's NPR/WBEZ comedy news quiz, "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me," with panelists Paula Poundstone, Josh Gondelman, and Maz Jobrani had a hilarious, topical Jeopardy! segment this week.

I usually turn off "Wait Wait" when Paula Poundstone is on because I find her uncomfortably aggressive.  I'll give this a listen though, so thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1

Joke from today's Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! (paraphrased):

Spoiler

Mike Richards is the perfect choice for Jeopardy! host because when it was announced most of America said, "Who is Mike Richards?"

(Added spoiler tags because I didn't see Shapeshifter's post until after I posted.)

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Unpopular is an understatement, it would have been reviled.  The lure of the show is three intelligent but otherwise random people answering questions, not a hypothetical "what if fictional character X hosted a trivia show".

As it is they should have added an additional disclaimer - anyone who wants to be the permanent host should make sure they've been Mr. Rogers/Tom Hanks levels of clean after the age of 18.  Podcast hosts and prolific twitter users need not apply.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

At the end of the day no matter how long it has been on, Jeopardy! is still nothing more than a game show.  I have been watching off and on going all the way back to when Art Fleming hosted the show.

I disagree vehemently with the above statement.  (Well, the first sentence. I can't speak to the second, other than I watched during the Art Fleming years, too.)

• Love 4
On 8/28/2021 at 7:11 AM, shapeshifter said:

Joe Buck is scheduled to be a contestant on Celebrity Family Feud this Sunday.
The show’s questions are frequently constructed to elicit the raunchiest responses from the contestants. I’m curious how he will respond in that environment…

Interestingly, twice when Joe Buck’s Celebrity Family Feud team had the opportunity to huddle up and try to think of an answer to steal the win, he went against what his other, all-female teammates had come up with —which is problematic on its own— but also, his answer was wrong, whereas the answer his female teammates came up with would have won. Both times Joe Buck apologized, but he seemed to just be performing an apology, and if he was really sorry, it seems he wouldn’t have done it the second time, which actually lost his team the game.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Interestingly, twice when Joe Buck’s Celebrity Family Feud team had the opportunity to huddle up and try to think of an answer to steal the win, he went against what his other, all-female teammates had come up with —which is problematic on its own— but also, his answer was wrong, whereas the answer his female teammates came up with would have won. Both times Joe Buck apologized, but he seemed to just be performing an apology, and if he was really sorry, it seems he wouldn’t have done it the second time, which actually lost his team the game.

This reminds me so much of my daughter when she was in fourth grade participating in the Battle of the Books. For the critical final answer, which would give them the win if they got it right, she told her team the right answer (her mind is a steel trap when it comes to books). The boys ignored her and gave a different answer.  I'm not sure losing taught them a lesson.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, rubaco said:
14 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

For those that don't want to pay to see the NY Times story Mike Richards is out as Executive Producer here's another link 

https://tvline.com/2021/08/31/jeopardy-mike-richards-fired-executive-producer/#more-1234712685

I often enjoy the NY Times article comments at least as much as the articles. Perhaps Sony should consider hiring some of the NYT comment moderators. 

The TV Line article is playing an old Star Trek episode with Geordy LaForge (LaVar Burton). 

• LOL 1

He was done once people believed he manipulated the process to make himself host.  He was exec producer and one of the decision makers, that tainted him as much as that Randumb podcast.  It's just too bad Richards let his ego (and possible jealousy if he really sabotaged Ken) get the best of him.

I think Ken could have weathered the controversy about his Tweets and former podcast co-host if they would have stuck with him.  All of that would have been forgotten by now, but there's increased scrutiny of any potential hosts' pasts now so who knows.

Edit:  It must have been really tense behind the scenes.  All those hurt feelings because one man flew too close to the sun.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 5
On 8/26/2021 at 1:15 AM, shapeshifter said:

Some more interesting bits from the NY Times article I cited above:

That's a real shame they didn't even allow Meredith Vieira to audition! She was actually one of the first people I thought of when they started looking for Trebek's replacement, but then I figured that the show might want someone on the younger side who could stay with the show for a long period of time. But leaving aside age I think she would've been perfect for the role because she has a soothing voice and she's pretty well-liked.

• Love 10
On 8/30/2021 at 8:51 AM, Clanstarling said:
On 8/29/2021 at 9:27 PM, shapeshifter said:

This reminds me so much of my daughter when she was in fourth grade participating in the Battle of the Books. For the critical final answer, which would give them the win if they got it right, she told her team the right answer (her mind is a steel trap when it comes to books). The boys ignored her and gave a different answer.  I'm not sure losing taught them a lesson.

I rewatched (primetimer.com/watch/joe-buck-celebrity-family-feud-fail) the second time that Joe Buck went against the female team members' better instincts and wondered if he did it on purpose so the other team would win? At the beginning Joe and and Oliver Hudson made it sound they were best buds. 
Maybe Joe was pretending to be a "male chauvinist pig" so there would be zero chance of Jeopardy! fans calling for him to be the new host?
I can imagine him now not wanting to touch that hot potato with a ten foot pole.
It just all seemed a little staged. Like the women were doing bad acting at being mad at him?

Not being a sports aficionado, I'm not familiar with Joe Buck, so I have no idea if being macho or even fake macho is his schtick or not.

Edited by shapeshifter
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Not being a sports aficionado, I'm not familiar with Joe Buck, so I have no idea if being macho or even fake macho is his schtick or not.

His shtick is that he kinda sucks.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

That's a real shame they didn't even allow Meredith Vieira to audition! She was actually one of the first people I thought of when they started looking for Trebek's replacement, but then I figured that the show might want someone on the younger side who could stay with the show for a long period of time. But leaving aside age I think she would've been perfect for the role because she has a soothing voice and she's pretty well-liked.

She was the first person I thought of too!!!

Still pulling for her!  Maybe she'll get a shot!

• Love 5

I think I posted several pages ago that I think Meredith would be amazing. She has the right blend of intelligent and warmth, and I doubt she’s got any offensive podcasts lingering out there. She’s too much of a class act. But my guess is that even if she weren’t tied up with her current game show, she’d be ruled out due to age. They want someone who can host for the next 20 years, and Meredith is in her late 60s. Robin Roberts has that same blend of skills but she’s got a day job.

I’d be good with Buzzy. Or David Faber. Mayim is decent - she wasn’t my favorite but she could do the job.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I’d be good with Buzzy. Or David Faber. Mayim is decent - she wasn’t my favorite but she could do the job.

I couldn't stand Buzzy when he was a contestant, but I think he did a great job as host of the tournament and think he would be the best replacement.  I thought David Faber was great, too, but I doubt he'd give up his current job or have the time to do both.

Hopefully Mayim will tone it down with all the giggling.  Maybe it was just more of a nervous laughter thing and once she's more comfortable with hosting it'll stop.

• Love 8
On 8/31/2021 at 10:09 AM, junemeatcleaver said:

I think Ken could have weathered the controversy about his Tweets and former podcast co-host if they would have stuck with him.  All of that would have been forgotten by now, but there's increased scrutiny of any potential hosts' pasts now so who knows.

I am the first one to say it's time to stop cancelling people for stupid things they did or said as a teenager, and even as adults, we all say or do something we wish we hadn't, but it will be hard for them to fire Richards, and then decide Ken's comments were 'bad, but not as bad' especially because that is dependent upon who offended you more. People don't forget those who hurt or offended them, they just decide to live with it or not.

Maybe it's just time to find an unknown or little known host who is just starting out and doesn't yet have the power or platform to offend anyone.  At one time, Alex was relatively unknown except to a few, and many game show hosts were unknowns.   I don't know that today's trend of having a celebrity host a game show reboot makes the show any better.

• Love 4
On 9/3/2021 at 12:47 PM, SweetSable said:

I couldn't stand Buzzy when he was a contestant, but I think he did a great job as host of the tournament and think he would be the best replacement. 

I did not like Buzzy at all as a contestant, and admittedly didn't catch the TOC when it first aired. Watching the repeats now, and I'm Team Buzzy for the new host. He's got a personality, but not so big that it becomes the show. He does look a little goofy with the glasses and haircut, but maybe that's part of his charm.

Don't want Ken as the new host. Even without the "baggage" I just didn't like his performance as host.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I did not like Buzzy at all as a contestant, and admittedly didn't catch the TOC when it first aired. Watching the repeats now, and I'm Team Buzzy for the new host. He's got a personality, but not so big that it becomes the show.

I did not see Buzzy in 2016, but I recently caught a few video clips of Buzzy as a contestant, and now I see why so many did not like him and did not want him as the new host.
But watching him host and now re-watching him host after having seen the others, I think he's the best of the group, and even has a bit of the ol' Alex je ne sais quoi.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

He does look a little goofy with the glasses and haircut, but maybe that's part of his charm.

I find his face distractingly goofy looking, but know that is entirely on me (and unfair; glasses aside, that's just his face!).  I thought he did well as guest host - to my surprise, as he annoyed me as a contestant - but not well enough for me to root for him to get the job.

I didn't dislike any of the guest hosts based on their performance (Dr. Oz based on what I learned of him, oh yes, and of course now Mike Richards for the same reason), but I was always hoping they were just ratings- and charity-raising filler while interviews with contenders with, you know, hosting experience went on behind the scenes.  So I was hoping Aisha Tyler or Meredith Viera might be announced as the next "real" host.

With that all blown to hell - Richards having later inserted himself, announced the guest hosting gigs as on-air auditions, and then skewed the results (who was scheduled when, what edits were or were not done, what was shown to Sony, etc.) - I've given up guessing what's going on this time around and just hope they choose well on their second try.

• Love 6

Have they announced who any of the guest hosts for next season will be? (If I understand correctly they are going to show Richards' one week, then Bialik is going to step in, then they are having another series of guest hosts, correct?) 

I saw several people on Twitter suggest Betty White.  I know it was said mostly tongue in cheek as she is well into her 90s.  Clearly, she would not be a viable candidate for the permanent gig.  BUT, if her health is up to it and she's game, I would LOVE to see her host for a week (that's one day of taping, correct?).  I can guarantee ratings would go thru the roof.  Her love of game shows is very well known.  And she is about as close to being universally beloved as one can get in this hyper divisive world.  Hey, a social media campaign got her to host SNL, maybe the same can happen for Jeopardy! 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Have they announced who any of the guest hosts for next season will be? (If I understand correctly they are going to show Richards' one week, then Bialik is going to step in, then they are having another series of guest hosts, correct?) 

I saw several people on Twitter suggest Betty White.  I know it was said mostly tongue in cheek as she is well into her 90s.  Clearly, she would not be a viable candidate for the permanent gig.  BUT, if her health is up to it and she's game, I would LOVE to see her host for a week (that's one day of taping, correct?).  I can guarantee ratings would go thru the roof.  Her love of game shows is very well known.  And she is about as close to being universally beloved as one can get in this hyper divisive world.  Hey, a social media campaign got her to host SNL, maybe the same can happen for Jeopardy! 

Typing as someone in my late 60s, I don't think Betty White would be able to keep up the pace of the Jeopardy! clues, and, having watched reruns of her on other quiz shows, I don't think she would ever have wanted do that. 

However, now that you've suggested Betty White, @Bulldog, I am imagining having her read the clues post-production and replacing Mike Richards' shots with Betty White. If it worked, it would have been cool, but the Twitterverse would have exploded afresh too 🤪 and, at this point, if Jeopardy! as we know it is to survive, sh!t has to settle down.

• Love 5
On 9/5/2021 at 12:02 PM, Moose135 said:

He does look a little goofy with the glasses and haircut, but maybe that's part of his charm.

"Oh, oh, I look just like Buddy Holly; oh, oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore."

Weezer, from their album Weezer, 1994.

Edited by Trey
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/8/2021 at 6:56 PM, zoey1996 said:

I remember Alex saying (joking) that Betty White would be a good replacement as host!

Yes, he said because someone younger would be good. 😄

Edit: It would be fun to have her do the clues for a category. 

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1

I will probably watch Mike Richards' episodes because he has been fired and the ratings shouldn't matter-and I like to watch some trainwrecks (not that he will do poorly, but more knowing what the end result is).  However, I won't watch Mayim's episodes as I really did not care for her during her previous stint.  I hope they settle on someone quickly as I tired of all the different hosts and their various quirks.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Joe Buck is doing commentary for the Packers/Saints game. Joe referred to Aaron Rogers as the second best guest host of Jeopardy!. He said he and Rogers joked about it.

I *really* liked Aaron Rodgers as a host, but maybe I was just smitten. It's been so long that I don't recall how well he did.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I *really* liked Aaron Rodgers as a host, but maybe I was just smitten. It's been so long that I don't recall how well he did.

Aaron did really well. But then, it's hard to get past those dimples. 💗

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

he had a dry kind of humour that was appealing.

That's what I liked about him (well, one thing). I didn't really catch it at first but you can see it when they showed him on camera. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps in contrast to Aaron Rodgers easy-going manner, this Newsweek article published Friday includes some quotes from Buzzy about dealing with depression: newsweek.com/buzzy-cohen-emerges-unlikely-jeopardy-host-frontrunner-1627790

Regardless, what we saw of Buzzy in the last 2 weeks was pretty flawless.

He wrote a piece in the Washington post about that in November.

I was a ‘Jeopardy!’ champion. Alex Trebek’s voice helped me through depression.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2