Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Welcome to Salt Lake City

• Start Topic

I find it interesting and disturbing that Jen is going after the only black woman on the show.   Which is interesting and disturbing since she's married to a black man and has two sons who, though biracial, look black.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Heather-Gay-RHOSLC.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=9

This should be the poster in every plastic surgeon or dermotologist's office.  You can choose to go for subtle botox, subtle fillers rather than going for this.  Her face looks like it's made of rubber and the brow lift makes one side of her face look like it's trying to escape.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

This should be the poster in every plastic surgeon or dermotologist's office.  You can choose to go for subtle botox, subtle fillers rather than going for this.  Her face looks like it's made of rubber and the brow lift makes one side of her face look like it's trying to escape.

She looks like a hot t***** mess, bless her heart.(and no offense to actual trannies)

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

She looks like a hot t***** mess, bless her heart.(and no offense to actual trannies)

The term in and of itself is considered derogatory. Heather addressed such comments on IG.

E6450102-4DFA-4051-A145-A1773E582352.jpeg

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 14

I had to watch this twice because I could not keep Lisa, Meredith, and Jen apart.  All I can say about Mary is that she is repugnant. She is a pastor or whatever she calls herself and then has no empathy for Jen's aunt. She just said she had a horrible dark time in a hospital while having her sweat glans removed and that is her reason for reacting the way she did when hearing about Jen's aunt. Just wondering why she spent 3 years in  NYC having  cosmetic surgery on her nose and eyes and having her hair lightened.   I think it may be a little more than nose and eye surgery going on there.  If they show one more clip of her phony baloney church I am out of this show. I despise these vultures who call themselves religious while they bilk the congregation out of money to live the high life. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The term in and of itself is considered derogatory. Heather addressed such comments on IG.

E6450102-4DFA-4051-A145-A1773E582352.jpeg

I remember seeing that and being totally awestruck by such a classy and kind response...despite her awkward appearance, she seems like a genuinely cool lady otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Love 20

I liked the show, probably because I´m all into weird and freaky. My only problem with it is that I can´t remember their names (except for Jen and Mary obviously), and there were two who looked like identical twins, or rather, triplets with Kyle from RhoBH being the third. That was the only fault I could find with the first episode.

Edited by halkatla
  • LOL 3

I'm late for the party.

Jen: seems fun to hang with..wouldn't want to be married to her nor work for her.

Heather: Hot mess, but in a fun way.

Lisa: A snob that likes Taco Bell.  Although I thought all of them in the car spending time together as they got fast food would count as quality time.

Meredith: marriage issues galore.  Her son seems to be her surrogate spouse.  Even so, not the oddest vibe on the show.

Mary: Blunt like Sheree from rhoa with an odd dress sense like Kim Richard's.  Her and her step grandpa makes Meredith and her son's interactions seem conventional.

Whitney: Seems sweet so far.  Interesting backstory.  Will see what future episodes bring.

• Love 5

This is not meant to be snarky at all, but it seemed to me like Mary was not all there mentally? Like, this is beyond a simple matter of a rude woman with no filter - she felt a little "off" to me. Like maybe there is some kind official diagnosis waiting in the wings?

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I find it interesting and disturbing that Jen is going after the only black woman on the show.   Which is interesting and disturbing since she's married to a black man and has two sons who, though biracial, look black.  

Why?  The reason was given and Mary, despite appearing in only one episode to date, has already shown herself worthy of being disliked based upon what she herself has put out there. I fail to see why color or race must be taken into account in this case. 

• Love 18
45 minutes ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

This is not meant to be snarky at all, but it seemed to me like Mary was not all there mentally? Like, this is beyond a simple matter of a rude woman with no filter - she felt a little "off" to me. Like maybe there is some kind official diagnosis waiting in the wings?

@PhilMarlowe2 I wondered about this myself, no shade!

At first I thought she was your typically smug, garden variety narcissist(who are naturally cast on these shows for good reason), but given her odd disconnect with the reality of her marital situation, her bluntly rude commentary concerning Jen’s aunt along with her complete lack of compassion for Jen, and her oddly stilted speech pattern/coldly self-absorbed demeanor, I’m wondering if she’s actually on the spectrum. She seems to display all the typical behaviors of someone with Aspergers.

And you just can’t convince me that a typical young woman in today’s American culture with a typical mindset/morals would agree to marry her step-grandfather just to secure her status as a wealthy “First Lady” of her church, arranged marriage/dying grandmother’s request or not.  

• Love 8

The last scene has Mary making snide remarks about Jen's aunt. She said what does she want me to do she had her legs cut off. It sounded like she said at 6 feet. Maybe she said at 60. Then she proceeds to say she didn't eat right maybe she should drink some water. This woman is either mentally challenged or she is a moral degenerate?  Great job Bravo. Hire someone who makes a joke about a woman who is a double amputee. 

• Love 18
10 hours ago, Lizzing said:

He was on the show. They went hiking with discount David Rose, aka the one tolerable Brooks of the RH franchise.

The question referred to the gossip page. That person said that the HW in question never mentioned a husband in over 7 years acquaintance.

2 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

The last scene has Mary making snide remarks about Jen's aunt. She said what does she want me to do she had her legs cut off. It sounded like she said at 6 feet. Maybe she said at 60. Then she proceeds to say she didn't eat right maybe she should drink some water. This woman is either mentally challenged or she is a moral degenerate?  Great job Bravo. Hire someone who makes a joke about a woman who is a double amputee. 

She totally lacks empathy. She's all about what can you do for me. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

@PhilMarlowe2 I wondered about this myself, no shade!

At first I thought she was your typically smug, garden variety narcissist(who are naturally cast on these shows for good reason), but given her odd disconnect with the reality of her marital situation, her bluntly rude commentary concerning Jen’s aunt along with her complete lack of compassion for Jen, and her oddly stilted speech pattern/coldly self-absorbed demeanor, I’m wondering if she’s actually on the spectrum. She seems to display all the typical behaviors of someone with Aspergers.

And you just can’t convince me that a typical young woman in today’s American culture with a typical mindset/morals would agree to marry her step-grandfather just to secure her status as a wealthy “First Lady” of her church, arranged marriage/dying grandmother’s request or not.  

She calls herself the "First Lady" of the church, but according to the Tea, the church members identify her as their god.  That kind of power and excessive wealth is probably the reason she jumped at marrying her step grandpa. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Mary strikes me as a malignant narcissist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism
Her extreme lack of understanding why she should care about a woman whose legs were amputated is not normal human behavior. People on the spectrum are blunt, not cruel, I don’t think they’d offer advice on a better diet.

If she is treated as literally a god by people in her church, that would only reinforce the grandiose beliefs. Mary seems to live her life in the antithesis of actual Christian dogma.

I have somewhat of a problem with face blindness, so Merideth and Lisa are going to be a real problem for me. I know Merideth has a son and a dubious husband (who I found very funny) and Lisa is Mormon 2.0 with a tequila company, but until some of these markers come up, I won’t know who is whom.

• Love 11
On 11/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, Vipbrj said:

The liquor laws have changed a bit since you’ve been here. It’s a little more relaxed I guess but it’s still a fairly regulated state. 

But people who complain about not being able to drink in Utah baffle me. There are tons of bars in downtown SLC. The drinks are measured so you’re not getting a triple rum and coke, but they don’t forbid you from ordering three single drinks instead 😂

Anyway, I’m here because I live in Park City and I like seeing local stuff on TV. The two women who live in Park City actually don’t have that “grand” of homes for the area. (I don’t either, not trying to invite myself on the show lol). I’ve just been to some homes here that blow my mind, but they’re second or third homes and people rarely use them. It’s so gross when I think about it. But maybe I’m just jealous. 

Can you buy alcohol at the store?

Who are the women who live in Park City?  

On 11/14/2020 at 10:43 PM, Vipbrj said:

That’s my guess! The one with the rose coffin thing, right? 

I missed this - rose coffin?

On 11/15/2020 at 11:54 AM, Vipbrj said:

Perhaps! They apparently do just rent a house during the winter though and Jen Shah seems like a beotch in these comments. http://www.irealhousewives.com/2020/02/new-details-emerge-on-real-housewives.html?m=1

Woah (said in RHNY Ramona's voice) - Jen is GOING FOR RHoD Brandi!  And now I like her.

22 hours ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Yeah there is something wrong with her.  Not just the grandpa fucking.

• Love 3

Can you buy alcohol at the store?

Only beer and stuff like Mike's hard lemonade.  If you want to buy hard liquor there is a liquor store for that.  Surprisingly during the shutdown it was considered essential so the liquor stayed open.  

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, bloomlover said:

Surprisingly during the shutdown it was considered essential so the liquor stayed open.  

Severe alcoholics are physically dependent on alcohol. Forced withdrawal can lead to a variety of symptoms and frequently require hospitalization which would obviously not be good in a pandemic when hospitals were stretched to capacity. 

• Love 4

So.....just how many women on this show are LDS?  How many are actual housewives?

On 11/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, bloomlover said:

Only beer and stuff like Mike's hard lemonade.  If you want to buy hard liquor there is a liquor store for that.  Surprisingly during the shutdown it was considered essential so the liquor stayed open.  

In MN one can not buy anything over 3.2 in a grocery store, one must go to a liquor store.  No biggie but if people want a glass of wine after dinner these days... go ahead.  So I guess in MN liquor stores were essential!

• Useful 1
On 11/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, bloomlover said:

Is it refrigerated?  

On 11/12/2020 at 9:29 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

If divorce is a no no in the Mormon church is that HW with the laser spa clinic out of the church?

So much drinking, I was surprised that Mormon's drink alcohol, I didn't think they allowed to even have caffiene.

Divorce is not a No-No, but it is strongly encouraged to try to make things work except in cases of adultery, abuse and addiction.  

These women are not active Mormons by any stretch.  I'm trying to understand why the show is trying to tie this show to the Mormon church when it's obvious none of them are practicing or even know much about it.  SLC isn't even majority LDS anymore.

Caffeine itself is not forbidden, although coffee and tea are, but some members like to take the rules and run with them and apply the rules to caffeinated sodas. Kind of a virtue signaling  thing.  BYU sells caffeinated sodas on campus (a recent thing).

Edited by greeneyedscorpio
  • Useful 2
On 11/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, drivethroo said:

The Mormon church apparently didn't accept black people as human until the late 1970s.  I don't think Heather was being racist at all.  If the church tenets stated (up til 40+ years ago) that black people were not human, non-black Mormons would not be encouraged to mate with a non-human.  That's why Jen (not black) left the Mormon church because her husband said her church did not accept him as human and if the church didn't accept her husband as human they wouldn't have accepted her children as human either.  The official church stance may have changed but there's probably still a bunch of people with that same thinking and that's what Heather & Jen were trying to explain.

Mormon here, on my way out, but have been a member my whole life.  The church didn't allow black people (men) to hold the priesthood, which every man in the church is expected and aspires to do from a young age.  Anyway, it wasn't until 1978 (!) that the church reversed that policy and began to allow all men to hold the priesthood.  Nothing to do with black people not being human at all.  I've NEVER heard anything remotely like that in church.  I'm not saying the policy wasn't racist, it absolutely was!  And vile.  And I'm sure that many members (especially older ones) still hold racist beliefs and attitudes, but I like to think the younger set is more welcoming and loving.  But yeah, there's a lot of racism in the early church.  😞  From what I understand, there actually were black priesthood holders before Brigham Young became the prophet/president, but then it changed.  

Edited by greeneyedscorpio
  • Useful 7
On 11/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, Sun-Bun said:

She seems to display all the typical behaviors of someone with Aspergers.

wtf??? I'm on the spectrum and could not be more different than Mary.

Ill-informed stereotypes like these make life worse for everyone.

• Love 10
On 11/19/2020 at 1:16 AM, OldButHappy said:

wtf??? I'm on the spectrum and could not be more different than Mary.

Ill-informed stereotypes like these make life worse for everyone.

Sorry @OldButHappy, didn’t mean to personally wound anyone(internalizing the snark isn’t something I usually encounter around here!); I’ve worked in the SPED field for nearly 20 years and don’t consider my armchair analysis of Mary an “ill-informed stereotype” at all. I’ve taught a few Mary types in my day, but it’s true, those on the spectrum are all quite different as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Sorry @OldButHappy, didn’t mean to personally wound anyone(internalizing the snark isn’t something I usually encounter around here!); I’ve worked in the SPED field for nearly 20 years and don’t consider my armchair analysis of Mary an “ill-informed stereotype” at all. I’ve taught a few Mary types in my day, but it’s true, those on the spectrum are all quite different as well.

👍 👍 

😆

Mary strikes me as a sociopath. In her church, she preaches that she IS God, and funds her luxury lifestyle with donations/tithing from working people who she threatens with damnation.

Edited by OldButHappy
  • Love 7

I am late to the party and struggled to tell Lisa and Meredith apart, just like many of you.

The only way I can tell Meredith and Lisa apart is to remember that Meredith's eyebrows are much fuller and thicker than Lisa's. Hope that's helpful to some as we lean into this dumpster fire of a show!

• Love 6
On 11/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, Neurochick said:

Mary is a cult leader. She uses the money from her church to fund her luxury lifestyle and plastic surgeries (including skin lightening- look at her old pictures), while her parishioners live in poverty (became they give their money to the church). The information is out there now that she’s famous. She was horrid when she spoke of Jen’s aunt. She’s disgusting and a grandpa fucker. There are plenty of reasons to go after her and it has nothing to do with race.

Edited by DeeplyShallow
Grammar
  • Love 12
On 11/22/2020 at 12:59 AM, Bridget said:

I am late to the party and struggled to tell Lisa and Meredith apart, just like many of you.

The only way I can tell Meredith and Lisa apart is to remember that Meredith's eyebrows are much fuller and thicker than Lisa's. Hope that's helpful to some as we lean into this dumpster fire of a show!

After the first episode I can easily tell them apart. Meredith is languid and talks slowly as if perpetually under the influence, and Lisa is a fast talker with a husky voice, and rather high strung.   Lisa is definitely the meaner, smirkier, bitchier of the two. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Finally got a chance to watch the premiere!  Some observations:

--I don't know anyone's name at this point (why does it seem like there are a million of them??), and I'm going to have trouble telling the brunettes apart.

--So far, the woman from Chicago seems too normal and like she belongs on a different show.

--On the face of it, some of these women and their husbands seem to have legitimate, non-grifter-y jobs/businesses, which is refreshing.

--I'm not a medical professional, but wouldn't it be dangerous not to be able to sweat from your armpits?  

--Why are the husbands in some of the talking heads? Uggggh.  I always find it annoying when the husbands/partners get overly involved in these shows.  Keep the hubbies in the background, please!  

As of now, I'm in!  

• Love 2
On 11/28/2020 at 11:45 AM, ladle said:

--I'm not a medical professional, but wouldn't it be dangerous not to be able to sweat from your armpits?  

--Why are the husbands in some of the talking heads? Uggggh.  I always find it annoying when the husbands/partners get overly involved in these shows.  Keep the hubbies in the background, please!  

Technically she had all of her "odor glands" removed, not "sweat glands" - right? 😄   And if you hate the husbands getting a TH, wait until you get a few of the obnoxious gay son! 😖

Edited by princelina
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, princelina said:

Technically she had all of her "odor glands" removed, not "sweat glands" - right? 😄   And if you hate the husbands getting a TH, wait until you get a few of the obnoxious gay son! 😖

Actually, I was referring to the Botox procedure in Heather's office, where they injected the armpits to stop them from sweating.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/15/2020 at 10:34 AM, Boo Boo said:

If you look at her Insta page, she was so pretty 3-4 years ago.

On 11/12/2020 at 5:23 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

My bf, whom I recently moved in with, has gotten a crash course in Ho-wives shows. After observing about 5 minutes of this one, he said, "All the women on these shows look plastic and annoying, but these women look like aliens and Bratz dolls procreated. They look like something that jumped out at me in last year's Halloween haunted house."

I laughed but then realized he's totally correct. 

I’m making a second attempt to watch this series but your best friend is completely on point.  Whitney seems more naturally beautiful and the others are just bizarre.  I find myself ignoring the scene and just trying to figure out their strange faces.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 11/12/2020 at 2:05 AM, MrsWitter said:

If I close my eyes, I can almost mistake Whitney for one of the Sister Wives. She has that same accent (“dill” for “deal,” etc) except she sounds far happier than any of the Brown women ever do.

Years ago, I bought that Jonathan Antin shower filter from Sephora (for the record, it was good but just a copy of another cheaper shower filter). I’m only slightly ashamed to admit this. I kinda miss Blow Out. 

I bought one of those and loved it. Bought one for my second bathroom and a shower at my mom's house. I moved recently and love my new water so haven't switched it over but that was one celebrity product I happily recommended. Can't think of any other I ever bought, except Kate from Below Deck's book -- and it's a good read! 

I just started watching this show last night for a distraction from the real world, and because I have friends in SLC/Park City whom I visited in 2019 and I'm bummed I can't visit now. Seriously, I watched mostly to see scenes of the places I might recognize and the pretty snow. All of these women except the youngest one look like they've had a ton of botox and/or plastic surgery -- and apparently they have. IMO most look older than their actual age because their faces look so weird. That's all I've got so far. 

• Love 4
On 12/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, Emmeline said:

I’m making a second attempt to watch this series but your best friend is completely on point.  Whitney seems more naturally beautiful and the others are just bizarre.  I find myself ignoring the scene and just trying to figure out their strange faces.

Whitney is one of the youngest, if not the youngest, so that helps.

I find both Lisa and Meredith beautiful, but I did confuse them at first. It's one of the reasons I didn't initially get into the show. I'd turn away for a minute and forget who was on the screen. Plus, it made me uncomfortable to watch someone who looks like she's not playing with a full deck of cards. Wish Bravo didn't cast people like that. 

But I gave in. Binging the show now. It is pretty entertaining so far. 

• Love 3