Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Welcome to Salt Lake City

• Start Topic

I think these ladies may really be rich!  The first episode held my interest a whole lot more than OC, which is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.  First episode impressions:

Mary is a weird little duck, and so is her fashion sense.

Jen is loud and over the top, but I really liked her husband and her boys.  Her youngest actually said "yes, mam" and my faith was renewed in reality TeeVee kids.

Lisa seems like a real snob. 

I liked Whitney and her husband.

I liked Meredith and her husband.

My best first impression was with Heather, which oddly reminds me of Heather Thomas of NY in looks.  She seems the most down to earth.

All of this may and probably will change in no time flat 🥴 except for Mary.  I already know I won't like Mary.

• Love 24
38 minutes ago, ninjago said:

Has anyone else been watching Bravo long enough to remember Blow Out, about the LA hairdresser, Jonathan Antin?  The medispa lady looks like his sister, Robin, who founded the Pussy Cat Dolls.

I remember Blow Out!  Wonder if he's still selling Dirt. I get what you're saying, but the person who really reminded me of Robin Antin was Barbara who used to be on RHoNY.  

• Like 1
  • Love 11

If I close my eyes, I can almost mistake Whitney for one of the Sister Wives. She has that same accent (“dill” for “deal,” etc) except she sounds far happier than any of the Brown women ever do.

Years ago, I bought that Jonathan Antin shower filter from Sephora (for the record, it was good but just a copy of another cheaper shower filter). I’m only slightly ashamed to admit this. I kinda miss Blow Out. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Ok, I’m going to take a swing at this, because it’s kind of exciting and we haven’t had a new franchise in so long, but my first impressions are shite, so next week, everything I say will probably be the exact opposite:

I dig it, so far.  It’s something new, like a hybrid of Real Housewives of New Jersey and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.  Pluses are that everyone seems to have money.

I don’t know who is supposed to be the center of the franchise—Jen or Meredith—but I hope it’s not Jen, because I don’t like her.  Maybe she just got too much camera time in the first episode, but I don’t think she’s pretty, I think she’s insecure (not in a fun way), and I think she thinks she’s better than she is.  She is converting to Islam because Mormonism is too intolerant.  That’s an interesting perspective.  

Heather seems like she thinks she’s the center of it all, but she’s not.  I had to laugh, though, like I literally laughed out loud when she went on a tear to Jen about Lisa, saying that Lisa pulling up her shirt in response to whether she knew Heather at BYU means that Heather was a slut, and Heather was actually perfect at BYU, she signed the honor code and everything, and what does she have to show for it now, she’s divorced—she wishes she had shown her tits at BYU.  And the whole Jennifer Lopez/Mariah Carey “she doesn’t know me???” was a brand of insecure I do find refreshing.  

All I can see when I see Heather is Stifler’s mom aka the nail lady from Legally Blonde.

1F2ED11B-4955-43F8-A2F8-E92A4A27BA85.jpeg.ae12d4e46b9a6d98ace8b38c57f928cf.jpeg

That’s a hell of a lot of procedures, but if she likes it, I love it.  

Meredith seems really pretty.  If she actually is 45 and she wasn’t joking, I’ll have what she’s having please.  She looks a bit like Kyle from RHBH.  Her son is going to get on my nerves though; he’s already on my nerves.  If she’s a little standoffish...so what?  There are already a bunch of big personalities on here. 

I liked Lisa, perhaps the best.  This is going to sound out of left field, but she reminds me a little of Jules from RHNYC.  It’s probably the New York accent.  I think Lisa is really pretty, I like that she said she would never make a grand entrance at a party that wasn’t for her (ahem, Jen) and that she is going to dress like she’s in New York no matter what the zip code.  I also like that she is unapologetic that she doesn’t cook or make breakfast for her kids.  Too many of these housewives are consumed by their kids in my opinion.  

Someone—I think it was Heather—took a dig at Lisa and said she sells tequila that she doesn’t drink.  Does that mean that Lisa doesn’t drink?  I noticed Mary didn’t drink in the episode.  I would love to see women on these franchises who don’t drink—not women getting sober or women who are in recovery, but women who don’t drink as a lifestyle choice.  That would actually be something novel.  

I liked Mary, what can I say?  Yeah, it’s weird that she is married to her step-grandpa, but at least it’s step.  I liked that she didn’t cuss or drink and she was into labels.  I laughed out loud again at the “smells like hospital” fight, but I noticed that Mary had gumption at Jen’s party when that RHNJ Kim D look-alike walked up to Jen and Mary fighting about the hospital, and Mary was kind of like, “I said it.  What do you want me to do?  You can go away.”  A lot of these women have brass balls in their talking heads, but make nice-nice at least in the first couple of episodes, and this one didn’t, and that stood out to me in a positive way.  

Whitney—the jury’s still out on her.  She’s very pretty.  She didn’t get a lot of camera time, so I don’t know whether to make heads or tails of her yet, but I guess I respect that she did what she believed in with regard to her life. 

I think there is another cast member, but I haven’t watched WWHL yet, because an hour and 15 minutes of these women on the first night was a lot.  I’m excited for this, though!  

What I think was possibly the most interesting conflict was Heather thinking Lisa is dismissing her because she’s not a good Mormon, is divorced or doesn’t fit the mold.  

What I thought was the least interesting was so much Jen and her assistants 1-99 making a party and going into details about how the wood was going to be covered by curtains and blah, blah, blah for what felt like 2/3 of the episode.  

It’s better than most of the rest of what Bravo has going on.  And, yes, I remember Blow Out, and how horrified everyone was with the graduated bob!  

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I already can’t stand the woman married to her grandfather ugh 

Me too.  That comment Mary made in her TH about Jen's aunt who had to have her legs amputated was heartless and cruel.  Not something you would expect a so-called woman of God to say.  She's just a nasty piece of work.

From the previews I thought I wouldn't like Jen, but I found her to be quite likeable.  Yes, she's over the top and a bit narcissistic, but she showed a vulnerable and sensitive side that warmed me to her.  (For now anyway.)  I'm still on the fence about the rest of them.

• Love 24
5 hours ago, njbchlover said:

(And, I don't understand the whole marriage to her step-grandfather thing - just ewwww!)

I could be wrong, but she was probably boinking him long before granny died.  She just gives me that vibe.  

4 hours ago, ichbin said:

The spa owner (Heather?) is headed toward  looking like Madame (as in Wayland Flowers & Madame) when she gets older.

I know right?!  Her face looks like she might have been born a male.  She really looks like a man in drag.  Something about her jawline.  But she seams nice and I think I'm going to like her as the show goes on.

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, MrsWitter said:

When the trailer dropped, Heather had some people asking about her gender identity on social media. I really dug her response. I’m hopeful for her tenure as a HW.

950DC58C-A62E-4AD4-BE3F-5FBDA6785910.jpeg

Heather definitely would be my favorite based on yesterday's episode and WWHL. I agree with the poster above who said some of these people would not be "friends" if it weren't for this show and Mary does seem out of place. I am glad they have a Black woman on the cast but hopefully in the future they can find one who is amiable and doesn't have such a strange backstory (though, I do try not to judge her for it because it is what it is). I think Jen is trying to make a name for herself out of the gate. I didn't mind her, per se, but believe she has the potential to grow tiresome. I liked Whitney. Infidelity sucks but as with Mary, I try not to judge (shit happens and it's been a decade). Lisa and Meredith were about the same to me. Don't really care one way or another.

The interesting thing about WWHL last night is you can already tell who has fallen out over the course of the season. Jen v. Mary was obvious but some of the others will be interesting to see. 

• Love 15

I was looking forward to this new franchise and hoping I liked it because I’ve given up on  most of them, still hanging in there for BH and NYC, but I’m close to giving up on those.

Lots of money, booze, Botox, bad fashion, fighting, same old, same old. But these women talk a lot about religion. Not all of them are Mormon and the ones that’s are are not really true Mormons. 

I think Mary is funny, I hope they show her ex-stepgrandfather husband. Jen seems to be the main Househo so far. And she told her youngest boy if he kissed a girl he would get Herpes or AIDS, what! Heather has a weird face, too much Botox on the top, the bottom looks lumpy. And she looks like she used to be a man. I can’t tell Lisa and Meredith apart. So far my fav is Whitney. The spawn of the show will be Brooks who I think is gay and probably took the semester off from college to be on this show.

I’ll give this a few more episodes and see if it grows on me more. The ladies were on WWHL and there was a lot of fighting between Mary/Jen and Heather/ one of the brunettes. If there is too much ugly fighting then I’m out. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole Rinna/Denise gang up on BH. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, swankie said:

Me too.  That comment Mary made in her TH about Jen's aunt who had to have her legs amputated was heartless and cruel.  Not something you would expect a so-called woman of God to say.  She's just a nasty piece of work.

From the previews I thought I wouldn't like Jen, but I found her to be quite likeable.  Yes, she's over the top and a bit narcissistic, but she showed a vulnerable and sensitive side that warmed me to her.  (For now anyway.)  I'm still on the fence about the rest of them.

I was trying to be understand Mary’s POV on the situation (mainly because Jen seems so narcissistic, which was reinforced by that party that was supposedly for Meredith), but her comments about the aunt and inability to just apologize, even if she felt she was taken out of context, ended it for me.

On the comment that most of these folks don’t seem to run in the same circle, it was interesting to watch the marathon of season 1 if RHWOC earlier in the day. I think all of them were in one place twice the entire season! Pulling this group together, especially with various preconceived notions and religious issues, could prove interesting beyond them simply being established friends.

• Love 11

With all the plastic surgeries, botox and fillers, these females are very hard on the eyes. 

Spoiler

What Mary failed to mention is that her grandmother also adopted her at a young age, so essentially the man sh married was not only her Step Granddad but also her Stepdad!

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

This was interesting.  I don't think it was what I expected.  I was surprised by all the drinking when I had expected Mormons.

The rose covered coffin was an odd birthday decoration.  I really thought it was a casket.  I laughed when they mentioned that too.

I really wish Brooks had not taken the time off school to be on this show.  He obviously wanted the attention.

Jen is over the top and attention seeking.  I would never have guessed that party was not for her.  

I will keep watching and hope to be entertained.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Sage47 said:

Nikki Sixx dad cheered her on. Mm-kay.

OMG! I could not really take that look in in that brief scene, at first I thought it was Whitney from SC then I thought he was a fun guy who like to wear odd wigs at his daughter's vow renewal...I bet there is an interesting story with that one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

A few things about that birthday party, that women with the blonde pageboy wig, she looked somewhat familar, like some celebrity.  The Tongan dancers confused me, the birthday girl was confused to but had that internal dialogue about how that party was not really about her so that is good she knew her birthday was just an excuse for showcasing the hosts party planning.  In one room we have some of the worst looking outfits, that green Valentino looked itchy to wear and I could see her bra strap.  What was that crazy girl who had no idea whose birthday it was, funny.  So basically that guest list was not really from the birthday girl, the theme and entertainment was not her style either...she was lucky she was invited, lol.

If divorce is a no no in the Mormon church is that HW with the laser spa clinic out of the church?

So much drinking, I was surprised that Mormon's drink alcohol, I didn't think they allowed to even have caffiene.

Lot's to learn with this franchaise.

• Love 10

that women with the blonde pageboy wig, she looked somewhat familar, like some celebrity.

Agreed. Resembled a zaftig Donnatella Versace.

If divorce is a no no in the Mormon church is that HW with the laser spa clinic out of the church?

I think during the episode someone commented that several of them were excommunicated.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Anyone know the back stories on these folks' "wealth?" For example, one husband is a college coach. Is the wife independently wealthy? I'm thinking the "wealth" is a mirage for some of these women.

I was thinking the same thing, he is an assistant coach which I would guess makes about 300K a year if that, so I too wondered where all the money comes from, and also for her to afford what 3 assistants ?  I am not sure I dig any of these women, something is off and can't quite put my finger on it. At this point, I don't find any of them likeable.

• Useful 5
  • Love 11
46 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

OMG! I could not really take that look in in that brief scene, at first I thought it was Whitney from SC then I thought he was a fun guy who like to wear odd wigs at his daughter's vow renewal...I bet there is an interesting story with that one.

He reminded me of Seth Aaron, a designer that was on Project Runway a few years ago!!  I want to know more about that Dad....interesting backstory, I'm sure!  

image.png.25bc3a0ff397d8ba29574e48adcf51ee.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 18

I have to commend Bravo for their ability to go to Utah and put together a cast fit for the housewives. I think they showed us Jen first because she is OG housewife worthy and I predict she will be the last OG standing. Lisa is my second favorite after Jen. Whitney and Meredith were cool, I see Meredith as that chill housewife that is needed for the voice of reason, every cast has one. I was back and forth on Heather for the whole episode, but in the end I get her. Mary, Mary, love her or hate her, it is clear to see why Bravo chose her. She is made for reality TV. I will love to hate her. I love watching the Bravo kids grow up throughout the seasons. Brooks was the standout for me. 

Edited by LaurelleJ
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Meredith seems really pretty.  If she actually is 45 and she wasn’t joking, I’ll have what she’s having please.  She looks a bit like Kyle from RHBH.  Her son is going to get on my nerves though; he’s already on my nerves.

Someone seems to really love the addition of cameras to their life!  

4 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Whitney pole dancing at her own vow renewal and her dad who looks like the fifth Beatle fourth member of Green Day cheering her on while she did it?

OMG! I had to do a quick rewind and freeze on him!   More of this guy please!

After watching WWHL last night I got the impression that Mary is there primarily based upon her marital/church back story. It's like she doesn't fit in with the rest and she knows it.  She tried to be feisty with Jen (who seems like she can be exhausting) but it was awkward and weak.  She isn't nearly as self possessed as the others. Too bad one can't buy confidence along with designer labels.

• Love 8

I'm in for now but I was hoping that there would be at least one if not two women who are active LDS. It's an interesting world that could have been fun to navigate throught RH colored glasses but it seems like this series is going to be more of the same. (Bad surgeries and/or too many fillers, petty arguments, embarrassing fashion choices, more petty arguments, manufactured friendships, drinking, designated mean girls--all of which can be very entertaining I just thought this franchise would approach these issues in a different way.)

I was hoping we'd get lots of LDS speak (housewives who say things like oh my heck) and conflict from people who are in the church and contrast that with those who have fallen out of favor or are in a different religion altogether. I especially thought it would be cool to see a woman who was more recently converted and contrast that with a woman whose ancestors were among the orginal pioneers. There's a definite kind of pecking order/snobbishness thing going on regarding multi generational descendants vs newcomers and I was hoping this franchise might touch on it. (I guess they sort of touched on it with the woman who was married into so called Mormon royalty but I don't get the impression that we're going to see anything with her inlaws.) Then there's there's stuff about which ward a person is a part of and whether or not they have a temple recommend. Or if you'd rather have your kid go to BYU or the University of Utah. Also seeing how an LDS parent navigates their children's use of social media considering how many things the church really doesn't want them exposed to including anything critical of the church itself. Lots of interesting territory and discussions that I was hoping they'd cover, but I'll probably have to recalibrate my expectations. 

Still, I'm here for it for now. Mary is already the worst. Hopefully she'll be a one and done. I felt bad for Jen's kid having that discussion about girls and STDs on camera. Jen did everything possible to embarrass the hell out of him.

• Love 17
11 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Mary every time you  have sex with your husband don't you think how odd and weird and gross it was that he did the same thing with your grandmother and she wanted him to have you?? UGH ...

I'll skeeve you one further, especially considering that the grandmother carried the egg that made Mary, if it was her biological grandmother.  Females are born with all the eggs they'll ever have, so when Mary's grandmother was pregnant with her mother, she in turn carried the egg that made Mary.  I'll stop there 🤢

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
59 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Still, I'm here for it for now. Mary is already the worst. Hopefully she'll be a one and done. I felt bad for Jen's kid having that discussion about girls and STDs on camera. Jen did everything possible to embarrass the hell out of him.

Embarrassing is one thing but telling her child misinformation about getting aids from kissing a girl at this point in their lives is nuts, even the older son was saying that is not really accurate...I wonder what sort of sex ed she had. 

Can we start a betting pool about which marriage will be done because of this show? 

• Love 15