Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E04: Ole, Ole

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Teams race through Asunción, Paraguay when they compete in a series of switchback Detours, where they must either stack a pyramid of watermelons or perform a traditional Paraguayan bottle dance.

I'm glad both the football team and the blonde sisters are safe. Football team was not looking at how the watermelons were stacked, alternating in the direction they were facing. 

I thought there were two episodes tonight. CBS website says there are two episodes. But Swat is on.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 10

Will and James and Leo and Alana are both getting on my nerves. I'm not one to hate alliances but there seems like more focus on them than is needed. Had the football guys done the other task, I think they might have won the leg. I was not too surprised about the NEL this leg.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Oh well. Is it just me, or are there a lot of unlikeable teams this season?  I'm ready for several of them to go, including the blonde sisters.  I am glad the NFLers were safe, though.  But I'm sad that we didn't get the promised second ep tonight.

• Love 13

For anyone unaware: there was supposed to be two episodes. We got one because the election results are taking that long to process. I’m thinking the episode of SWAT airing now is a rerun, because there might be a resolution within the hour.

One more leg in South America! As far as tasks go, we got a good set. Make makeshift cellos, mix the local Red Bull, then either stack watermelons or dance with bottles on their heads. I have to say, I wouldn’t have thought those doing the latter would have finished at the top this week. I totally would have gone for the stacking.

In this hectic time, let us think of Claire, who is probably covered in hives right now.

Is it odd that I’m good with alliances? I know they’re not as vital as on Survivor, but I don’t see why they’re unnatural. I will admit the bitchiness isn’t fun to watch . . . but we aren’t at a point where I feel at least one team should be hated.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
Just now, Quilt Fairy said:

Yeah, and it's the repeat scheduled for an hour later.  Maybe the plan is to have election coverage then.

Election coverage is on the schedule for 10pm EST. 

I missed the first 15 minutes - I keep forgetting this is on at 8, and not 9:00.  Did I miss anything worth pulling this up tomorrow on cbs.com? 

Guide still has two episodes listed. I really don't like their route designs the last few years. Too much bunching. The teams were separated by hours but it was all wiped out because they were all on the same flight. Then they keep putting in clues that have to be accessed through Hours of Operation and again the positioning gets eliminated. I get they don't want teams 24 hours apart but they've gone overboard  the other way.

• Love 8

I was hoping to lose the Blonde sisters tonight.  Darn Non-elimination Leg!

I need Eswar & Aparna to never mention the fact that they are engineers anymore during their time on TAR. 

As a fellow IKEA item builder, I really appreciate folk who can assemble things into masterpieces! 

I would not have picked that Dancing detour; all that broken glass freaked me out. 

Hung got a little testy with Chee! I'm glad he was able to figure out how to stack the watermelons.  The Footballers just couldn't figure out the formula fast enough. 

I'll admit I cackled when Leo & Alana wasn't able to trip up Will & James.  I'm so petty.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I would not have picked that Dancing detour; all that broken glass freaked me out. 

I was wondering if it was really glass? at one point one of the bottles broke when it came off of Hung's (I think) head came in contact with her arm, it didn't seem to be with enough force to break a bottle.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Hung got a little testy with Chee! I'm glad he was able to figure out how to stack the watermelons.  The Footballers just couldn't figure out the formula fast enough. 

I'll admit I cackled when Leo & Alana wasn't able to trip up Will & James.  I'm so petty.

The Footballers somehow forgot that watermelons will roll and that needed to be offset with placement.

Will and James using the yield last episode was stupid but they aren't dwelling on it like Leo and Alana are stewing and they actually have an hourglass to still use. Shut it you two.

Anyone else think Phil was looking a little under the weather???

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

I was wondering if it was really glass? at one point one of the bottles broke when it came off of Hung's (I think) head came in contact with her arm, it didn't seem to be with enough force to break a bottle.

Yep!  looked like "hollywood glass"  made out of sugar and water.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
Just now, dgpolo said:

Nah, Will or James had one on his head and it broke just by his hand holding it. It' was most likely that sugar/fake glass that is used in movies. I remember someone gasping and saying ow after one broke but I can't imagine it could do much damage and may have just been a reaction to the thought. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

That was a lot of fun, but I was soooo looking forward to a whole evening of TAR. Boo CBS!

That definitely wasn't real glass - Leo playfully broke one on Alana's head after they completed the challenge.

I'm liking most of the teams this season. People get momentarily bitchy - wouldn't we all - but no one's mean or vicious. I'm glad the blonds survived, they're my eye candy for the season!

I'm wondering if the orchestra's music wasn't overdubbed in -- when they played a few bars iwhen they were first introduced, they were way out of tune. Then as if by magic, their sound was perfect.

I still miss airport drama, but The Show is more interested in challenges these days.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I like the blondes but they seem to annoy everyone here. Oh, well. I could do without Will & James though. I was so disappointed that it wasn’t two hours. I was locked in for the night. Bummmer!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Will and James using the yield last episode was stupid but they aren't dwelling on it like Leo and Alana are stewing and they actually have an hourglass to still use. Shut it you two

It was the U-turn they used last episode, forcing Leo and Alana to do the other Detour. So far no one has used their Yield so they’re all still in play.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

I missed the first 15 minutes - I keep forgetting this is on at 8, and not 9:00.  Did I miss anything worth pulling this up tomorrow on cbs.com? 

Primarily whispering between teams about Will & Grace U-turning Leo & Alana.  Then the spoon-fed flight to Paraguay.  (Not Uruguay, which we know is in Africa.)  If you came in at the cello making, you're all caught up. 

Oh, and the Amazing Yellow Line has turned into a Fat Orange Line. (Ain't no one getting enough exercise during the Covid lockdown. )

• LOL 19
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Jackson from Big Brother would love the watermelon stacking challenge.

The alliance is nauseating. 

I am not sure about that.  I think it would drive him nuts to see all of those good watermelons lose their lives as they fall to the ground needlessly. 

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Is it odd that I’m good with alliances? I know they’re not as vital as on Survivor, but I don’t see why they’re unnatural. I will admit the bitchiness isn’t fun to watch . . . but we aren’t at a point where I feel at least one team should be hated.

I am indifferent towards alliances on TAR.  I am just more annoyed with Will & James, I actually don't mind any of the rest of the teams in the alliance.  Even if I am sick of hearing Eswar and Aparna thinking that being engineers will help them with every task they do.

2 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I need Eswar & Aparna to never mention the fact that they are engineers anymore during their time on TAR. 

I was pretty much coming in here to say this and this alone.  Like what the hell? 

If they ride a camel this season one of them is going to say, "The fact that we're engineers should really help us ride this camel."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 18
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

How did James finish the cello task second when he had no clue what he was doing and kept asking everyone else for help?

Because he followed the directions he got better than anyone else?

I thought the 'alliance' was mostly sharing info, though I don't know how much info anyone would have if they only had materials and something to look at. Maybe James was more observant of details than the others? It's not like anyone put it together for him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

Will and James and Leo and Alana are both getting on my nerves. I'm not one to hate alliances but there seems like more focus on them than is needed. Had the football guys done the other task, I think they might have won the leg. I was not too surprised about the NEL this leg.

Both of these teams really irritate me.  Didn’t Alana and Leo smugly say that they weren’t even going to mention the U Turn to Will and James?  So of course the first few minutes of tonight shows them talking about it to them.

James is the short one with brown hair, right?  He is the one that irritates me to no end.  Always whining.  The way he kept asking for help, and then of course they finish first.  I think he’s also the one who is constantly saying “baby” and “hey babe”.

I don’t know how Will can stand him, he’s so annoying.  But James is living proof that there is someone for everyone in this world, you just have to find him or her.

2 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

It could very well be because of a prompt (“as the wives of NFL football players...”) but I’d like to think that Eswar truly does think their engineering backgrounds give them a superior advantage on this race.  And I guess I may be ignorant, but is a “software engineer” basically the same thing as a computer programmer?   That has very little to do with mechanical or industrial engineering.  

Hung was very demanding this episode and I wonder if they haven’t been as stressed because they’ve been at the top.  But when they had problems, she was shrill and quick to blame Chee.  Then poor Chee in the interview just apes what she said.  “The problem was that I wasn’t listening.”   I felt bad for him.  He seemed like a defeated doormat who was just saying that because it was easier to accept blame and responsibility than to get into an argument with his wife over it.  

9 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I thought the 'alliance' was mostly sharing info, though I don't know how much info anyone would have if they only had materials and something to look at. Maybe James was more observant of details than the others? It's not like anyone put it together for him.

I thought James got specific help from others, it seemed like the minute he had issues he’d ask for help.  Meanwhile, others clearly tried to mostly figure things out on their own, like Madison.  Madison asked for help from Chee once but for the most part just struggled on his own.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Maybe he's just good at that sort of thing. A friend of mine is a natural at that sort of thing, and it was depressing the time I gave her a gift with the caveat that I wasn't sure how to assemble it. As I apologized she held it up, all assembled.

Loved that look the cab driver gave to the women when they said "we know it's in Africa".

Okay, one of Michelle or Victoria said merci at some point.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BK1978 said:

I am not sure about that.  I think it would drive him nuts to see all of those good watermelons lose their lives as they fall to the ground needlessly. 

I am indifferent towards alliances on TAR.  I am just more annoyed with Will & James, I actually don't mind any of the rest of the teams in the alliance.  Even if I am sick of hearing Eswar and Aparna thinking that being engineers will help them with every task they do.

I was pretty much coming in here to say this and this alone.  Like what the hell? 

If they ride a camel this season one of them is going to say, "The fact that we're engineers should really help us ride this camel."

I will give them one more chance. If they say it next week then I’m out on them. LOL!!!!

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

It was the U-turn they used last episode, forcing Leo and Alana to do the other Detour. So far no one has used their Yield so they’re all still in play.

All except 2; the ones the Olympians and Jerry and Frank held.

3 hours ago, Gummo said:

That was a lot of fun, but I was soooo looking forward to a whole evening of TAR. Boo CBS!

That definitely wasn't real glass - Leo playfully broke one on Alana's head after they completed the challenge.

And vice versa...which is actually a different Switchback.

1 hour ago, Hera said:

I'd bet anything that James was the kid in math class who kept pestering someone he knew was better at math than him for help with the work. And then James would finish his work faster because everyone else was asking the competent kid for help and no one was bothering James. –Signed, the competent kid who is apparently still bitter about the experience.

Amen sister/goddess.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BK1978 said:

I don't really mind the rest of the teams either, but this 10-person alliance is already irritating. At least this week it wasn't so bloody chaotic.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Both of these teams really irritate me.  Didn’t Alana and Leo smugly say that they weren’t even going to mention the U Turn to Will and James?  So of course the first few minutes of tonight shows them talking about it to them.

James is the short one with brown hair, right?  He is the one that irritates me to no end.  Always whining.  The way he kept asking for help, and then of course they finish first.  I think he’s also the one who is constantly saying “baby” and “hey babe”.

Hung was very demanding this episode and I wonder if they haven’t been as stressed because they’ve been at the top.  But when they had problems, she was shrill and quick to blame Chee.  Then poor Chee in the interview just apes what she said.  “The problem was that I wasn’t listening.”   I felt bad for him.  He seemed like a defeated doormat who was just saying that because it was easier to accept blame and responsibility than to get into an argument with his wife over it.  

I thought James got specific help from others, it seemed like the minute he had issues he’d ask for help.  Meanwhile, others clearly tried to mostly figure things out on their own, like Madison.  Madison asked for help from Chee once but for the most part just struggled on his own.  

I actually don't mind Leo and Alana as much as others do, but they really should dial down the smug. I cannot stand Will or Grace, they irritate me to no end. My partner really likes them and wants them to go far. Go figure.

Yeah, the editing very much made it look like James had a lot more help than the others were shown getting from their alliance-mates. I was impressed by Maddison, and am liking him and his brother so far. Glad Gary and DeAngelo made it as well; don't have much opinion on the blondes, but I'm sure I'd freak out as well if our driver just popped out and left us there to ask directions from random passersby. (Their shocked faces were hilarious, though.)

I noticed the same thing with Hung and Chee and also wondered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Spent 15 minutes looking through the DVR/the CBS website for the second episode, lol.

We have now firmly established that being a software engineer has zero applications outside engineering software.

The blond sisters mostly kept their shit together on a very stressful day. Many other races would've lost it by the end of the instrument building task.

Tiny bit surprised that the judge OK'ed the football players pyramid. It didn't look as neat as it was supposed to be, and I wouldn't have been surprised if it was actually 9 layers high instead of 10 or something.

I definitely would've chose the watermelon task but the bottle dancing task turned out to be faster, if you could eventually master the balancing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Tiny bit surprised that the judge OK'ed the football players pyramid. It didn't look as neat as it was supposed to be, and I wouldn't have been surprised if it was actually 9 layers high instead of 10 or something.

Given how long they seemed to take with it, I think the judge dropped his standards in order to be able to go home. It frequently happens with judged tasks that standards are relaxed as the task goes on and/or as people take hours and fail multiple checks, although it's more noticeable with dance tasks.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

I just rolled my eyes when one of the guys said the reason that the bottle dancing challenge was so hard for him is that he's a dancer so his instinct is to spot. Sure, when you're doing turns, but when you're walking at a snail's pace? I took ballet from the time I was 3 until halfway through high school and my instinct to spot does not apply when I'm just walking around.

I was pleasantly surprised that the blonde sister just kept plugging away at making her cello instead of having a meltdown. I mean, she did mention several times that it was the hardest thing she's ever done in her life, but other than that she just kept working on it. That was surprising after all the exasperated complaining when their cab driver was lost.

I was trying to figure out exactly how far behind the blondes were at the end. We know they worked on their cello for three hours, and the football team took almost four hours to finish their watermelon pyramid. I wasn't sure how long the blondes were driving around but if it was less than an hour, there seemed like a possibility that they could beat the football players to the mat. I wasn't a huge fan of the blondes, but the marked difference in the last two teams to the mat was noticeable. The football players basically had a farewell/elimination speech but the blondes said on their way there that they just hoped that they got lucky and another team got stuck at the other task.

Should I not have laughed when the football players ended up throwing watermelons at the tree and smashing them?

6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I really don't like their route designs the last few years. Too much bunching. The teams were separated by hours but it was all wiped out because they were all on the same flight. Then they keep putting in clues that have to be accessed through Hours of Operation and again the positioning gets eliminated. I get they don't want teams 24 hours apart but they've gone overboard  the other way.

I agree. Hopefully once they're in Europe and there are ways to get around besides flying, the teams won't keep getting bunched up at the beginning of each leg anymore. I always feel bad that the first place team loses the time advantage when everyone gets put on the same flight the next day. If anything, in cases like that they should reverse the order of who has to show up at what time the next morning. I came in first place so I should get to sleep an extra three hours!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don’t know how Will can stand him...

Must be all that talk of babies!

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

Because everyone kept telling him how to complete all the various components. I dont mind when a team tells another team where the library is (for example), but I get very annoyed when a team doesn't have to figure out any of the tricky parts and basically has a leg win handed to them...

I actually thought that was REALLY unfair of the editors. And I wasn't surprised to see all but one poster here comment on how Will/James were getting help from the other teams because of what the editors did in highlighting that moment. The thing was is that throughout the rest of that challenge, you could actually see that it was absolutely true what Will/James said, every single part of that alliance DID help each other. They were going over to each other, showing each other how to do things, answering questions, it just wasn't highlighted in a "funny" edit the way the Will/James moment was to make it seem like it was just them.

As for the episode, I forever get annoyed when racers get upset when they are U-Turned or Yielded and act all huffy and betrayed. They are on The Amazing Race. It is literally a part of The Amazing Race. It is NOT a betrayal. It is not some unfair form of trickery. It is literally just a tool of The Amazing Race. Deal. With. It.

I like the blondes; I'm glad that they made it. I think they have a good attitude. The only team I don't like are Leo/Alana.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I don't have any favorites so far this season, but I definitely have a least favorite team.   Will and James bug me with their gleeful pettiness to the point of muting the TV whenever they are on. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I like the blondes but they seem to annoy everyone here. Oh, well. I could do without Will & James though. I was so disappointed that it wasn’t two hours. I was locked in for the night. Bummmer!

I like them too. They have a great attitude

5 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Must be all that talk of babies!

My blood runs cold at the thought of that petty, spiteful pair raising children. "Now remember little Johnny, the best way to have friends is to find someone to pick on and get the other kids to pick on them too!"

25 minutes ago, driver18 said:

As for the episode, I forever get annoyed when racers get upset when they are U-Turned or Yielded and act all huffy and betrayed. They are on The Amazing Race. It is literally a part of The Amazing Race. It is NOT a betrayal. It is not some unfair form of trickery. It is literally just a tool of The Amazing Race. Deal. With. It.

Yes I agree with that. But two sides to that coin. Leo and Alana were yielded, and they're mad about it. OK. They mentioned it and got it off their chests, now they appear to have put it behind them and RAAACE. BUT. Will and James also need to put it behind them. But they're not. They've decided that they don't like Leo and Alana and never miss an opportunity to snipe about them. They do the same with Kaylynn and Hayley, with their snotty, dismissive way of calling them "the blondies". 

16 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

I don't have any favorites so far this season, but I definitely have a least favorite team.   Will and James bug me with their gleeful pettiness to the point of muting the TV whenever they are on. 

And their squealing and shrieking has me lunging for the mute button. I look forward to their crushing elimination with enthusiasm. 

• Love 18

So there are eight teams left... and there is supposedly an alliance of FIVE of those teams.  How does that work?  Why isn't brilliant engineer Eswar pointing out the math to them?  I get that engineering isn't necessarily about math but I'm sure that he thinks he is an expert at everything math, science and construction because he is an engineer.  Why isn't he telling them that at some point the numbers aren't going to make sense and they need to decide when to stop sharing information?

It seems to me that the ones who are most pushing the "alliance" are the hateful Will and James, and their main goal of this alliance is pretty much just to use each other to get out their mortal enemies Leo and Alana.  Three of the five alliance teams were at the watermelons - the Volleyball Brothers, the Football Players, and Hung and Chee.  If there was supposedly such a strong alliance, how come neither Riley/Madison nor Hung/Chee gave any advice to Gary and De Angelo?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I was surprised that so many teams were able to do the bottle dance challenge.  That just looked really hard, especially the getting all the way down to the ground and then back up again part.  And, I wondered how DeAngelo would have done - would his braids have helped or would they be an uneven surface so the bottle couldn't balance? 

I need to go back and watch Hung & Chee with the watermelons.  I noticed that with the beard bros, one held the other as they were leaning over to put the top one on.  But those guys are tall.  How did Hung & Chee get the last one on top without toppling over the pyramid?  Is the trick to stacking alternating the direction with each row - one row the stripes go front to back, the next row they go side to side?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, blackwing said:

I agree. I don't know if I would call her shrill or call what she did "blame" necessarily, it sounded civil enough to me. But yes, she was pestering him with her "You have to talk to me! Tell me what I need to do!" while he was simply trying to focus and analyze things and figure out what it is that she needs to do.  Sometimes one just doesn't have the info at the moment, demanding it is not going to help, you know.  And he was super docile about it, he was like "yes, we need better communication, my fault, I wasn't listening. Not rolling my eyes at all here, no sir."  Reminded me of that commercial where a football ref was indifferent to players and coaches yelling at him because he has had a lot of training with his wife.

4 hours ago, displayname said:

The sharing during the Roadblock was annoying, and James talking about it like it was something awesome was even more annoying.

At the same time, Leo declaring "he doesn't need help" dismissively bugged too.  It's not up to you to decide for others what they do or don't need.  These two teams definitely deserve each other.

I don't think I have ever seen an f-word pixelated on TV before.  I'm glad DeAngelo and Gary survived.  To whoever suggested that they should have done the faster bottle challenge - I am not sure about that.  Gary doesn't have any rythm in his DNA (or what was that line?).  On the other hand, they didn't really dance to the music there, so who knows.

Edited by shura
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3