Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

On 1/21/2020 at 8:06 PM, Adeejay said:

Michael filed for an annulment the day after filming ended, because they didn't consummate the marriage.  Several couples had to settle for a divorce even though they didn't consummate their marriage, so I don't understand why Brandon and Michael think they will be the exceptions.

The conditions that support an annulment are dictated by state law. 

I looked into this last season because of the Iris business.  I got the impression that failure to consummate a marriage generally isn't among the grounds for annulment, although there are some states that allow an annulment on the basis of impotence.  But I don't think impotence is the same thing as choosing not to have sex.

Here are the grounds for annulment in D.C.

Marriages can be annulled when: one party lacked the ability to consent due to mental insanity; consent was obtained by force or fraud; matrimonial incapacity existed at the time and was unknown to the other party; a party was under the age of legal consent; one party was previously married and that prior marriage was not dissolved by death or divorce.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/dc-law/district-of-columbia-annulment-and-prohibited-marriage-laws.html

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

But why would Mindy stay with Zach, is my question.

This is exactly what drives me nuts. Zack is the "prize" here so it's all about Mindy trying to keep him because heaven forbid she let the "hot" guy get away. He's not feeling any growing attraction to her? And he says that off camera only? Fuck him. Drives me insane when people (men OR women) allow themselves to get walked on by others simply because they're desperate to be married.

I've said it before, it's like buying a product that you really need, discovering that it's not functioning in the way it is supposed to, but you keep it anyway because you're too lazy to return it, and constantly whine about what it doesn't do.

• Love 11

For the same reason she came on the show in the first place and the same reason Philadelphia Kate kept trying to find something good about douchebag Luke - she really wants to be married and he papers well as a husband. Plus the more time she invests in the marriage, the harder it is to walk away. If she wants kids the old fashioned way, she has to get started on the baby-making pretty soon.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

For the same reasons Amber stayed with Matt and Kate stayed with Luke? I figure all of them have low self-esteem, and they think they can't do any better. It's got to mess with their minds, too, when they believe that the experts paired them up for a reason, and this person is supposed to be their perfect mate. They probably think if they stick it out or keep trying harder, everything will click and they'll be on solid ground. It's probably easy to find excuses at first, too - their mate is a stranger, there are cameras around, they don't really understand the way the other communicates or their sense of humor - and once they get past those things, it will be happily ever after.

I also find it hard to believe that none of the participants has really gone off on the experts for matching them with some of the terrible people we've seen. How the experts take so little responsibility for the casting and matching is a disgrace, IMO.

• Love 14

when they believe that the experts paired them up for a reason, and this person is supposed to be their perfect mate. They probably think if they stick it out or keep trying harder, everything will click and they'll be on solid ground. It's probably easy to find excuses at first, too - their mate is a stranger, there are cameras around, they don't really understand the way the other communicates or their sense of humor - and once they get past those things, it will be happily ever after.

Plus throughout the marriage, the "experts" are giving them "advice" and "guidance" which also cements the notion that these marriages are salvageable if you only follow their advice and do the work.

• Love 9
On 1/19/2020 at 1:18 PM, configdotsys said:

I don't think Mindy is attractive at all and the experts were almost cruel to set up this pairing. I mean, we have very little interaction with these people and many caught a vibe from Zack that he was acting almost immediately yet these "experts" did not? Please.

This is definitely no surprise but I love that they just all of a sudden decided to have 5 couples this time and it just so happens that a couple of episodes into the season, we are hearing that 2 of them crashed and burned via "leaks." It could be designed to up the drama and rake in more viewers. If there were the regular 3 couples and this happened, the season would be over but here they have backups. I find that fishy.

I think Mindy is very attractive and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I personally do not find Zach attractive at all but I know Mindy did.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Here are the grounds for annulment in D.C.

Is it possible any of these couples actually live in VA or MD? I know they were physically married in DC, but wouldn't their place of permanent residence (of one or the other of the couple) be where they'd seek an annulment / divorce? Just wondering / throwing that out there . . .

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

I also find it hard to believe that none of the participants has really gone off on the experts for matching them with some of the terrible people we've seen. How the experts take so little responsibility for the casting and matching is a disgrace, IMO.

Me, too!  Plus, if I were a participant who got matched with someone who was recruited for the show, I'd be especially mad.   

• Love 4
18 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Quoting myself because of all the responses - I agree - but I also wonder if they make it past decision day did they agree to some sort of arrangement, at least for a while; time will tell.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Because they know if they go off on the experts, the footage will be edited in such a way to make THEM look crazy.  The show made Heather look like a witch and Shelia look like an "angry black woman," when both of them had legitimate reasons to be upset.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
On 1/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, Liberty said:

It really irritates me to hear Pastor Poseur exclaim 'It's the biggest season ever'.

It would impress me more if he said "Our most successful season ever!" Sadly, I think it's more likely to be "Our most dramatic rose ceremony season ever!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

This season has been quite boring. Maybe they thought adding an additional couple would add to the drama but I'm just bored. Having all ten of these people be questioned by their in-laws was a snoozefest.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Because they know if they go off on the experts, the footage will be edited in such a way to make THEM look crazy.  The show made Heather look like a witch and Shelia look like an "angry black woman," when both of them had legitimate reasons to be upset.

You're definitely right. Has anyone given an interview after the season was over, or talked on social media about being unhappy with the process? Seems like they all take the "no regrets" line.

• Love 3
On 1/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, Liberty said:

It really irritates me to hear Pastor Poseur exclaim 'It's the biggest season ever'.

Will more couples help these young people be more successful?  Longer episodes won't help, just more repetition of what was said before the commercial after the commercial.  WTF.

Maybe he means with 2 hour episodes advertising revenue will be the biggest ever.

Lifetime only shows 1 hour episode repeats? Are those edited episodes, hence they are 1 hour as opposed to the first airing that is always 2 hours? Am I missing certain scenes by not watching the 2 hour episode that airs 1st?

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Is it possible any of these couples actually live in VA or MD? I know they were physically married in DC, but wouldn't their place of permanent residence (of one or the other of the couple) be where they'd seek an annulment / divorce? Just wondering / throwing that out there . . .

Aah, good point. 

I will say that in general, annulment for "sexual" reasons is almost always couched in terms of impotence.  I think it's safe to say that the general belief that most people have--that marriages can be annulled if they aren't consummated--isn't accurate.

It's the same sort of situation with common-law marriages.  Most people think that a common-law marriage can be declared on a couple based on how long they lived have together.  The truth is that only a few states recognize common-law marriage at all.  And even in states that recognize it, it's never based on a certain length of cohabitation, and it's never imposed on people who haven't presented themselves to the public as being married (e.g., tax returns). 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, Adeejay said:

It has gotten to the point where I don't know who or what to believe any more.  The leaks and spoilers this season are making my head spin. I can't remember another season like this. My question is, why?

Not only on social media but in the previews of upcoming shows!   They are giving everything away in advance of even airing it!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ChiMama said:

If they got married in VA, and I suppose if their license is in VA, they might have a case for annulment. The last bullet item could do it. That item doesn't appear in the DC or MD list. 

Here are the bullet list reasons from Divorce Net (https://www.divorcenet.com/resources/annulment/annulment-basics/virginia.htm):

For a marriage to be annulled in Virginia, a spouse needs a legal ground (or reason) for annulment. Each of the following is a legal ground for annulment in Virginia:

• Bigamy – a spouse already has a husband or wife at the time of marriage
  • Incest – the spouses are related, closer than first cousins
  • Incompetent – one spouse wasn’t mentally able to understand the marriage
  • Fraud – a spouse only agreed to marry because of the other spouse’s deception
  • Impotence – one spouse is unable to engage in sexual relations
  • Underage – one spouse is under the legal age to be married
  • Prostitute or felon – one spouse didn’t tell the other they were a prostitute or convicted felon
  • Child by other person – a wife is pregnant by another man at the time of marriage or a husband has a child by another woman within 10 months of marriage
  • Duress – one spouse only married because of force or fear of serious harm, and
  • Sham marriage – the spouses got married for other intentions besides the normal purposes of marriage.
Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Useful 10
  • Love 2

Just played back Mindy's hallway scene. This is what she said:

---

I'm walking around our hotel right now, just in the hallways and I don't want to go back to that room. He told me "I'm not building any kind of attraction to you and what do you want me to do about that?" And I tell him, "I guess this isn't gonna work out," and he says, "That's not the response I was hoping for."

Mindy: "I'm not pissed, I'm not. I don't what i am right now. I'm- can't even say I'm hurt. I'm actually like, it's quite funny. I'm kind of just thinking who the fuck is this guy, what the fuck did I marry. This was probably a really, really bad idea.

---

No, Mindy, this may not have been a bad idea. You got stuck with a self-absorbed asshole who showed you his tru colors on the first night of the honeymoon. Yet what does she do? She's picnicing with him in the preview and feeling good about the situation. Another genius. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

No, Mindy, this may not have been a bad idea. You got stuck with a self-absorbed asshole who showed you his tru colors on the first night of the honeymoon. Yet what does she do? She's picnicing with him in the preview and feeling good about the situation. Another genius.

Can you tell for sure that he said this on the first night of the honeymoon?  We know she didn't have makeup on in the room on the first night, but she does have it on when walking in the hallway.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

But I thought they got married at the Westin Hotel in Georgetown.

I don't think it matters where you were married, it is where you lived when you file for divorce/annulment. I was married in MA at the college I went to but went to live in another state after my honeymoon. When I got divorced I had to file in the state I was living in.  Just like people who marry in Vegas, then they divorce in their home state and their home state rules is what is used for child support , alimony etc. 

Do we know where they lived? I heard they lived in an apartment complex all together? Was it in VA or Maryland? I wonder if the temporary apartment would even be home? or their  apartment they lived in before would be called home? I would actually think their home they had before would be where they would file. For health insurance, taxes, I bet they are still legal residents of the state they started with. So do we know if Micheal and Brandon lived in Virginia? 

It will be interesting to see if they get an annulment since I don't believe anyone has before, even Virgin Iris got a divorce. I always thought some pre-nup type legal paperwork stopped them from being able to get one? Annulments seem hard to get. Proving fraud is hard and likely longer and more expensive then a divorce. If anyone watched 90 day fiance Danielle tried to get an annulment for fraud with Mohamed and after over a year it was so expensive and hard to prove she opted for a divorce (though many people thought she had clear evidence of fraud). 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

But I thought they got married at the Westin Hotel in Georgetown.

It's the person's residence/domicile that determines where the divorce action is filed--not where the marriage was solemnified. 

Back in the 1940s or so, Reno was the quickie-divorce capital.  Nevada changed its law to require only six weeks to become a resident and able to file for divorce there, and was quite generous in the grounds on which divorce could be granted.  It was a huge industry in Reno, including dude ranches that sprang up where people could spend their six weeks. 

I read one article that said the change to six weeks was in response to the Great Depression, as a way to invigorate the Nevada economy.

2 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

If they got married in VA, and I suppose if their license is in VA, they might have a case for annulment. The last bullet item could do it. That item doesn't appear in the DC or MD list. 

• Sham marriage – the spouses got married for other intentions besides the normal purposes of marriage.

That site goes on to say, "Sham marriages that may be annulled include marriage just to legitimize a child without intending to live together and marriages only to gain immigration status."  I'm assuming this is under the general "fraud" provision, since the Virginia Code doesn't say anything about sham marriages.  And I'm not sure where a MAFS marriage would fit in that scheme.

I'd be interested in what he states as the grounds for annulment. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Can you tell for sure that he said this on the first night of the honeymoon?  We know she didn't have makeup on in the room on the first night, but she does have it on when walking in the hallway.

That's true. I do remember reading that people had written that. Could definitely be shenanigans. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It's the person's residence/domicile that determines where the divorce action is filed--not where the marriage was solemnified. 

Yes, silverspoons already answered that for me in the above post.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2020 at 10:46 AM, humbleopinion said:

Seems this will be a Momento-esque type of season with the audience knowledgeable of the outcomes of 3 of the 5 couples before the honeymoon shows.

What if it’s a all a trick and they are all in on it and actually all 5 couples stay happily married? Yeah, now that I said It, not a chance

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I don't get too angry with the experts because the experts can only work with what the producers give them:

The participants have to be willing to be "married at first sight."

They have to sign a release agreeing to be filmed for eight weeks, and probably have to agree to come on various Married at First Sight spin off shows like "Happily Ever After" and "Couples Couch." 

They have to be people whose jobs allow them to be filmed for eight weeks + whatever else may come up.

They have to be people whose families are on board.  On this season, only Mindy's sister is on board and last season, one of the men's (the basketball player) families didn't show up at all, none of them.

And they have to look good on camera.

So the pickings may be slim.  We don't even know how many viable participants they have to chose from. 

• Love 5

Also, @Neurochick, they only have to go with what the contestants tell them and we have seen how many times, once they are on the show, they will say something that is the opposite of what they told the producers/experts. 

As others have mentioned, they are casting a reality show, not looking to match people with a true love. I think many of us are still hoping that it will work out for some of them, but, it is just a stupid, highly scripted, reality show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
On 1/25/2020 at 12:22 PM, Retired at last said:

Also, @Neurochick, they only have to go with what the contestants tell them and we have seen how many times, once they are on the show, they will say something that is the opposite of what they told the producers/experts. 

As others have mentioned, they are casting a reality show, not looking to match people with a true love. I think many of us are still hoping that it will work out for some of them, but, it is just a stupid, highly scripted, reality show.

Probably one of the worst lies that actually worked out was last season's Jamie and Beth both stating that they both want children, when in truth neither of them did not.

It was ironic that they both lied about such an important point and it would have been so unfair if they had gotten matched up with someone who wanted children very badly.

• Love 18

I’m mad that even before filming New Orleans is shaping up to be a shit show. They’re still searching for single women/brides, and filming begins next month. No way the producers/experts are worried about finding quality matches because it’s down to the wire, and they’re probably half stepping on the vetting and the background checks. How long until the cast a net on Bumble and Tinder?

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

I’m mad that even before filming New Orleans is shaping up to be a shit show. They’re still searching for single women/brides, and filming begins next month. No way the producers/experts are worried about finding quality matches because it’s down to the wire, and they’re probably half stepping on the vetting and the background checks. How long until the cast a net on Bumble and Tinder?

This actually makes me feel better that women aren't desperately seeking to be "married at first sight."  I guess they already recruited all the men.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

@AussieBabe, that's interesting that they are looking for brides. Does that mean they have all the men? Or do they have to wait to have all the women and then go and find/recruit the guys? Sounds like this ship has run its course.

I’m guessing the turnout wasn’t what they were hoping for. I know people who applied and were turned down, so who knows what they’re looking for? All I can figure is maybe some of chosen brides backed out or the interest isn’t there because they see how this show handles marriage. Most people don’t want to enter a marriage that will end in divorce in eight weeks. I know they’ve had a tough time casting in previous years. For the most part, the women have seemingly been serious about finding a life partner and men have been aiming to further their careers or just have three meals, a bed, and the stipend (Matt).

• Love 4
On 1/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, Whitney Rae said:

Lifetime only shows 1 hour episode repeats? Are those edited episodes, hence they are 1 hour as opposed to the first airing that is always 2 hours? Am I missing certain scenes by not watching the 2 hour episode that airs 1st?

Mostly you are missing out on all the repetition - the 3-4 minute intro of what happened last week, the commercial intros and post-commercial recaps.  If you do miss a scene they usually discuss it to death anyway.  As soon as Survivor starts up again I will be watching the one hour repeats 😄 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 10:13 AM, Soup333 said:

This season has been quite boring. Maybe they thought adding an additional couple would add to the drama but I'm just bored. Having all ten of these people be questioned by their in-laws was a snoozefest.

Of course tense conflict and emotional outbreaks are exciting to watch. A couple enjoying each other and having fun is nice...but boring. Not sure about a two hour show though. I always watch some other show by channel surfing.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2020 at 7:38 AM, Neurochick said:

I don't get too angry with the experts because the experts can only work with what the producers give them:

The participants have to be willing to be "married at first sight."

They have to sign a release agreeing to be filmed for eight weeks, and probably have to agree to come on various Married at First Sight spin off shows like "Happily Ever After" and "Couples Couch." 

Why don't they let us know it all's pick mates for them?

• Love 1

Guys there was some tea on unfiltered.

Michael had his ex help him with the MAFS application.

When the last episode ended with Mindy talking about Zack not being attracted to her, it was actually the third time since the wedding that he said something like that.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
On 1/7/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ilovepie said:

They are divorced and Jason is engaged to someone else......

Jason got married the other day to Roxanne Pallett, who is seriously cray-cray. She is a UK actress who was in a soap opera, Emmerdale, for a while. Since then she's been on a number of reality shows. She was on Celebrity Big Brother a year or so ago and her behaviour was beyond appalling. There'd been a bit of good-natured joking around with another contestant, Ryan Thomas, following which she claimed he'd beaten her up and repeatedly punched her. Of course, all of us who saw it at home knew that it was nothing of the sort, but nobody in the house saw any of it and they all took her word for it because she was so 'upset'. Everyone turned on Ryan, who had no idea what he was meant to have done. Roxanne tried to get him thrown out of the Big Brother house and all the viewers then realised it was all a ploy on her part because she knew he was more popular than she was.

Anyway, Ryan was ostracised by the other housemates and it was very, very ugly. When she didn't succeed in getting him thrown out of the house, she left. Then, one by one, as the other contestants were voted out, they were shown at their 'exit interview' the video of Ryan and Roxanne joking about and then they all realised they'd been played by her. But it backfired on her, because the public voted overwhelmingly for Ryan to win and her career in the UK was over.

So, that's who Jason has married, and all I can say is, God help him ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10849057/roxanne-pallett-secretly-married-boyfriend-jason-carrion/

Edited by essexjan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1