Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

On 12/5/2019 at 12:58 PM, Ilovepie said:

Exactly. This show is so gross, and for all their talk about being proponents of marriage, they are really all about drama rather than making good matches. This really means they don't care about marriage at all and are totally cool with the amount of divorces that occur each season. What is more baffling is why I would expect more from a low rent basic cable tv show. That being said........

They are just doubling down now. Shame on them. They couldn't even come up with THREE decent grooms each season and now there are FIVE???? If at least 3 of these grooms signed up voluntarily I'll eat my shirt. There is no way at least two or three of them were not recruited.......

This is a reality show, just like Life After Lockup, or Real Housewives or 90 Day Fiancee or Vanderpump Rules.  These are nothing but shows featuring real people and exist to give the audience what they want, drama.  

What does it matter if someone was recruited?  I'd say most want to be on this show to get on TV.

Divorce isn't the "scandal" that it was decades ago.  I was watching a show set in the 60's where a woman was seeing a man who was divorced and it was like OMG!!!!  Now it barely gets a shrug.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

This is a reality show, just like Life After Lockup, or Real Housewives or 90 Day Fiancee or Vanderpump Rules.  These are nothing but shows featuring real people and exist to give the audience what they want, drama.  

What does it matter if someone was recruited?  I'd say most want to be on this show to get on TV.

Divorce isn't the "scandal" that it was decades ago.  I was watching a show set in the 60's where a woman was seeing a man who was divorced and it was like OMG!!!!  Now it barely gets a shrug.

I don't watch any of those shows because they don't interest me. This is my main guilty pleasure, and besides Project Runway the only cable reality show I watch. The first season of this show they were calling a "scientific experiment" and it seems they were serious about finding good matches. That is what hooked me. Obviously, that went out the window when it was so popular and they rushed into season 2, and I think it's gone downhill since.

I don't like knowing they are recruiting people from dating sites because it seems those people are not really interested in marriage, or to borrow from Bachelor Nation, "here for the right reasons". Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most watch this show wanting to see real people who want to get married. I don't mind some drama but I wish it came from real life situations that arise from two strangers marrying each other and not some storyline the show is pushing. I think that is why people are bummed they don't show the budget conversations or house hunting anymore. Those seem like things strangers who married each other would have to navigate.

I agree divorce is not a scandal, but I personally do believe in marriage (I have been married for over 20 years) and it saddens me that it's so cheapened. This show is doing nothing to change that despite their talk about believing in marriage. If they actually cared about that they wouldn't pick some of these people.

I am aware this is just a tv show, but I am invested. What can I say? I just wish they would make better matches so some of them have a better shot at making it.

• Love 16

I would guess that a lot of the serious financial, values, etc. conversations might happen once they decide they will stay together after the 8 weeks. I think, unless they are horrible, most of the couples will agree to make it that far. The real marriage doesn't start until that phase is over. Even if someone would be technically their spouse, they might not want to get into the real personal things like that until they build some trust. That, however, doesn't stop them from having sex!

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't like knowing they are recruiting people from dating sites because it seems those people are not really interested in marriage, or to borrow from Bachelor Nation, "here for the right reasons". Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most watch this show wanting to see real people who want to get married. I don't mind some drama but I wish it came from real life situations that arise from two strangers marrying each other and not some storyline the show is pushing. I think that is why people are bummed they don't show the budget conversations or house hunting anymore. Those seem like things strangers who married each other would have to navigate.

Will couples be staying in the same apartment complex this season? I always liked the house hunting segment even if that was fake and they were only moving into predetermined AirBnBs. 

• Love 3
On 1/3/2020 at 8:45 PM, silverspoons said:

Soap dirt has an interview with Meka. I think there will be a drama edit for sure because she says she was not attracted to him at first and that she did not get his sense of humor. She also said they had communication issues and that she learned a lot from the experience. 

https://soapdirt.com/married-at-first-sight-exclusive-meka-jones-talks-filming-dishes-on-husband-michael-watson/

On 1/3/2020 at 9:50 PM, Retired at last said:

That article was interesting. I am surprised the participants could talk about the experience. She sure looked gorgeous in her wedding gown. It sounds like they did not make it, but we will have to wait.

Judging by this pic, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it:

MAFS-10-DMeka-Mike.jpg?w=900

15 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Will couples be staying in the same apartment complex this season? I always liked the house hunting segment even if that was fake and they were only moving into predetermined AirBnBs. 

If they don't, the production crew may end up logging a lot of miles if the couples are spread out throughout the DC suburbs.

Edited by discoprincessthe2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, discoprincessthe2 said:

Judging by this pic, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it:

MAFS-10-DMeka-Mike.jpg?w=900

I can't tell if he's simply unhappy or if this is a stylistic choice, i.e., the infamous picture of Slim and Queen from...Queen and Slim. lol

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 1/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, Neurochick said:

If it doesn't matter to you, that's fine but people are allowed to see it differently and do not have to justify their opinion.

To me, if viewers-- who were told that these people contacted the show after a posting or open call or whatever it's called, filled out a form and were selected using whatever criteria they wanted-- find out that the show is trolling d-level YouTube musicians who are "cute" or other online wannabees and saying "Hey, come on our show. Your looks will get attention, you don't have to stay married and look at all the exposure you'll get," well, I think that's a bunch of bullshit.

I have no problem with the unrecruited, regular folks who apply for this show whether on a lark or because they really want to get married doing it partly to be on TV. It's the horse shit we're fed by the show that these people all approached the show that is irritating.

Edited by configdotsys
fixed a word
  • Love 21
19 hours ago, configdotsys said:

To me, if viewers-- who were told that these people contacted the show after a posting or open call or whatever it's called, filled out a form and were selected using whatever criteria they wanted-- find out that the show is trolling d-level YouTube musicians who are "cute" or other online wannabees and saying "Hey, come on our show. Your looks will get attention, you don't have to stay married and look at all the exposure you'll get," well, I think that's a bunch of bullshit.

I have no problem with the unrecruited, regular folks who apply for this show whether on a lark or because they really want to get married doing it partly to be on TV. It's the horse shit we're fed by the show that these people all approached the show that is irritating.

I completely agree. And the horseshit is deep apparently - MafsFan is reporting that ALL of the participants except Mindy and Jessica were recruited! I think this explains A LOT about this show........

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I completely agree. And the horseshit is deep apparently - MafsFan is reporting that ALL of the participants except Mindy and Jessica were recruited! I think this explains A LOT about this show........

In the past, they’ve claimed to have something like 20,000 people apply.  At the beginning of this season, I thought I heard them say they had 200 applicants.  Did anyone else catch that?  Seems awfully low, and I imagine females apply in far greater numbers than males...

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

This is not good to hear. Does anyone know of the success rate of recruits? 

4 hours ago, Mlle. Kitty said:

In the past, they’ve claimed to have something like 20,000 people apply.  At the beginning of this season, I thought I heard them say they had 200 applicants.  Did anyone else catch that?  Seems awfully low, and I imagine females apply in far greater numbers than males...

The numbers seems to change all the time. The first time they gave the big number like 20k, it was total like over all the seasons. the smaller number you heard was usually what they say they narrowed it down to and then matched from. I thought  they said this year they narrowed it 50 people and matched from that? I turned to my husband and said 1 out of 5 people got picked and matched. 

My big concern is whatever the final pool group is, 200 or 100 or 50, it seems like these people are picked because they can get the right time off, consent to the rules of filming and the rules of keeping quiet, and seem to be TV types (don;t know how else to word this,, but in 10 seasons we have yet to see an overweight person picked or a less attractive person,) . So basically the experts have a handful of choices to match. It seems like each person might have 2-3 possible matches and the experts just hope they pick the right one and it works. 

• Love 9

When participants in the past have said they were "recruited", wasn't it off dating sites? It's not like they're hiring actors or wannabe YouTube stars or whatever. And I'm sure they still have to apply (and would be more than free not to). Heck, I could see someone who was approached on a dating site (meaning they were already actively looking for a partner on their own) potentially being just as sincere as someone who applied completely on their own. Those latter folks could even be less sincere in some cases, if they're the type that have been applying for reality shows all over the place. Basically, I don't see any reason why someone who was approached on a dating site would automatically be a worse option than someone else.

Anyway, I dunno. It honestly doesn't bother me at all. It's a tv show either way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Someone on another MAFS discussion group I am in on Facebook said that a friend of hers trains with Zach at the gym. She alluded to the fact that Zach and Mindy are no longer together.

Edited by Lusterleaf
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, silverspoons said:

This is not good to hear. Does anyone know of the success rate of recruits? 

I guess we would have to know which people were recruited from past seasons. I think I heard Anthony was, but beyond that I have no idea. It sure feels like it is becoming more prevalent in the more current seasons, but maybe it has always been happening and it's just now getting exposed?

• Useful 1

To me it's only logical that people would be recruited.  They are looking for:

People who are physically attractive

People who are a certain age...meaning young

People who want to be married at first sight

People who are okay with being filmed

People whose jobs don't mind them being filmed

People who, if their families aren't on board will still want to do it anyway

A few seasons back I remember people who were picked for the show, but didn't go through with it because of work and/or family.  

I think the pickings are slim in finding people for this show and it probably gets slimmer each season, which is why they probably recruit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I guess we would have to know which people were recruited from past seasons. I think I heard Anthony was, but beyond that I have no idea. It sure feels like it is becoming more prevalent in the more current seasons, but maybe it has always been happening and it's just now getting exposed?

From what I have read, Doug was kind of a recruit (he was a friend of someone who worked on the show), David of Atlanta was a recruit (the guy from second chances) , I'm pretty sure Matt and Keith from last season were recruits.  I know Ryan of Boston was not a recruit.  It would be nice to see if we could come up with a list. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think the pickings are slim in finding people for this show and it probably gets slimmer each season, which is why they probably recruit.

I hope the recruits are weeded in order to eliminate those who are only seeking exposure. I say this because I do like the basis for the program. It would be interesting to meet someone who, on paper, is totally compatible with me. The thought is - here's someone with your values, mores, etc. and we attempted to match your preferred appearance. It's up to you to make the marriage live up to its on paper potential.

• Love 3
On 11/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, topanga said:

And men, will you please stop expecting to get matched with an Instagram model or a Beyonce look alike? If you could pull that kind of woman, you wouldn't need a matchmaker, right? With the exception of Iris and Keith, how often do people with model-like good looks apply (or get recruited) for Married At First Sight?*

I agree with you. For some reason, it appeared a. handful of the men and women from the last couple of seasons felt their match should have been more attractive (despite the glaring fact of their own basic plain to average looks). To me, all the mates chosen were fine looking to nice looking - so no need for any of these people to demand better.

• Love 5
On 9/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, gonecrackers said:

She lost one at 17 weeks, so I guess she figures she might as well reveal, but geez 4 weeks along?  She rolled out of bed, into the drs office & onto SM. She's just a whole lotta TMI.

I bet she is fearful of another miscarriage. If you share your pregnancy news, at least she'll have friends/ people who will be supportive and understanding if she's unable to keep it to term. Otherwise, she is alone in a dark place, by herself, because no one knew she was expecting.

• Love 2
On 9/13/2019 at 6:50 AM, humbleopinion said:

Iris' overprotective actions whether deliberate or reflexive to defend her virginity was enough for him to back the hell off......

She was attaching far too much importance to her hymen than necessary at her age. It is not as though she's a virginal 18 year old. She knows what will be involved, and for her to pull so many 'Eww' faces whenever sex is discussed makes me feel she's gone past her due date. I believe she's spent so much time pushing men away, she no longer knows how to show a man that she is interested in being seduced. I certainly hope she understands the first time is not the 'moment'. Third trial seems to be the time when everything starts to feel more comfortable and fun/playful (w/o the added 1st time stress).

• Love 4
On 9/15/2019 at 3:09 PM, Ohwell said:

Iris is delusional enough to think that by "sexing" herself up with tight dresses and hair extensions she can make him regret wanting the divorce.  

Iris has watched the movie "Grease" far too many times. Keith is no Danny, he doesn't want the responsibility of being your 'first' at his age.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, AussieBabe said:

it was supposed to be a monogamous marriage—in and out of the bedroom, and he failed. I wasn’t paying attention, but did he deny asking other women out or any of the claims like Raven seeing him leave with a woman?

The moment he opted to have sex with her, he should have put in the effort for the two months. Like seriously, Matt was attracted enough to Amber to have several nights of intimacy. Yet he cannot show himself to be a decent, monogamous guy for a lousy 60 days? WTF is wrong with him? I truly believe Matt does not like himself and the public backlash only affirmed his self-loathing.

On 9/18/2019 at 1:37 AM, Ms.C. said:

Ms.C.

JUST NOW

https://madamenoire.com/1095707/jephte-shawniece/  is an article about Jephte and Shawniece 2019.  Pretty interesting.  They're happy.  Also, huggies commercial for Shawniece.  Hope you've all seen it.

To date they have been my fave couple.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, Silver Bells said:

The show, experts thought having a Virgin on the show would be a hit.  Little did they know, it was a bust.  Virgin or tramp, she was a horror.  Her personality and demeanor was that of a spoiled self absorbed child.  They probably saw and spoke to her for three minutes and said “ you’re hired”.

Out of curiosity, would anyone here consider marrying a virgin as a fun sexual challenge, or as a trial of patience and education? I could marry a 30 year old virgin hubby, but I would struggle with the challenge. Especially if being a virgin made him closed-minded re: experimenting.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2019 at 6:44 AM, Koalagirl said:

If anyone is interested, Kate (from Kate and Luke) just did a podcast interview with Olivia Caridi (Mouthing Off with Olivia Caridi) and she talks about how things were worse than what was shown on tv.

Was it ever determined or announced that Luke was gay? He had anti-marriage (to women) vibes all over him from the first time they saw each other. I felt so embarrassed for her. Whatever confidence she may have had seemed to take a beating.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2019 at 4:13 PM, gingerandcloves said:

And I agree with you all, it's just going to end up with more divorced couples.

Is it really labeled a divorce or are they allowed to have the marriage annulled?

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, Chalby said:

Is it really labeled a divorce or are they allowed to have the marriage annulled?

I wonder about that myself.  In the case of marrying a virgin who doesn't allow the marriage to be consummated, legal grounds exist for annulment, as does fraud, concealment of addiction, non-disclosure of felony conviction past, etc.  On that basis I can think of at least a few marriages from this show that would potentially qualify for legal annulment according to this article.  I don't see how the show could insist on them getting a divorce if legally they might be entitled to a legal annulment.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I know Ryan of Boston was not a recruit.  

Ryan said he tagged along with a buddy who was going to a MAFS cattle call.

Guess he had no paintball park repairs or odd jobs at his rental property that day..

Unfortunately for Jackie.....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Chalby said:

I bet she is fearful of another miscarriage. If you share your pregnancy news, at least she'll have friends/ people who will be supportive and understanding if she's unable to keep it to term. Otherwise, she is alone in a dark place, by herself, because no one knew she was expecting.

Her own circle family/friends, yes, I would understand that. But JamieO constantly shares personal information with the general public to a ridiculous extent IMO. I also realize this behavior isn't exclusive to her which is why SM has gone beyond 'social' to constant TMI with some people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 1/11/2020 at 5:49 AM, Chalby said:

I believe they can;t get it annulled due to whatever pre-nup or legal paperwork they sign before the show. This has been what has been said when I have asked this before.

Does anyone here listen to Auntie's Advice reviews. She is a popular 90 day reviewer on youtube and she lives in the DC area and is reviewing this season of MAFS. She said that she was told that if someone backs out at the last minute, they have to pay 50K fine/fee. Has anyone ever heard of this? Auntie has been a good source of interviews and info on 90 day and usually checks and re-checks sources before saying it on air. She thought the 50k was to pay back for the wedding, apartment, honeymoon, flying guests in etc if you backed out after you signed the contract (which is about 10 days prior to the wedding). I wonder if they is why we see people like Matt? did not like him at all but maybe he applied for fun and then got picked and then panicked and it was pay 50k or marry. Many people say the Matt types do it for the money, maybe they do it not to be fined?

edit: I just finished watching Auntie's review. At the end she said she had been contacted my Michael's ex. She verified the relationship and the ID of the person. The person story was (now this could be made up all we know is that they did date Michael) up until recently he was near broke and driving uber and living with family. They also questioned other aspects of his lifestyle(don;t want to post these in vase they are untrue). Auntie is a bit loud and gets very excited when talks and says it like she sees it (does not try to be PC or give a word for word review), I know she is not everyone;s cup of teas but if you are looking for tea this week's review might be worth a listen. I am entertained by her as I am folding laundry at 1am.

Edited by silverspoons
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I believe they can;t get it annulled due to whatever pre-nup or legal paperwork they sign before the show. This has been what has been said when I have asked this before.

Does anyone here listen to Auntie's Advice reviews. She is a popular 90 day reviewer on youtube and she lives in the DC area and is reviewing this season of MAFS. She said that she was told that if someone backs out at the last minute, they have to pay 50K fine/fee. Has anyone ever heard of this? Auntie has been a good source of interviews and info on 90 day and usually checks and re-checks sources before saying it on air. She thought the 50k was to pay back for the wedding, apartment, honeymoon, flying guests in etc if you backed out after you signed the contract (which is about 10 days prior to the wedding). I wonder if they is why we see people like Matt? did not like him at all but maybe he applied for fun and then got picked and then panicked and it was pay 50k or marry. Many people say the Matt types do it for the money, maybe they do it not to be fined?

edit: I just finished watching Auntie's review. At the end she said she had been contacted my Michael's ex. She verified the relationship and the ID of the person. The person story was (now this could be made up all we know is that they did date Michael) up until recently he was near broke and driving uber and living with family. They also questioned other aspects of his lifestyle(don;t want to post these in vase they are untrue). Auntie is a bit loud and gets very excited when talks and says it like she sees it (does not try to be PC or give a word for word review), I know she is not everyone;s cup of teas but if you are looking for tea this week's review might be worth a listen. I am entertained by her as I am folding laundry at 1am.

Like you, I am not going to jump to conclusions, however it was obvious that previous season's Matt was both broke and homeless. His basketball days were far behind him and he was not mentally, emotionally, and financially ready to get married.

The sad part was that he actually had a woman who was so desperate (poor Amber) that she actually did not care about that stuff and would be willing to financially support him. That still was not enough to make him stay with her.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6

Matt had a nice car he could have lived in but a friend's dad took him in....

Matt was a turd.

Amber's desperation led her to be willing to forgive his bad behavior during the marriage plus offering to pay their living expenses until he got his footing....

The only decent thing he did on the show was to dump her....

• Love 6
On 1/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, silverspoons said:

From what I have read, Doug was kind of a recruit (he was a friend of someone who worked on the show), David of Atlanta was a recruit (the guy from second chances) , I'm pretty sure Matt and Keith from last season were recruits.  I know Ryan of Boston was not a recruit.  It would be nice to see if we could come up with a list. 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:02 AM, humbleopinion said:

Ryan said he tagged along with a buddy who was going to a MAFS cattle call.

Guess he had no paintball park repairs or odd jobs at his rental property that day..

Unfortunately for Jackie.....

I believe Ryan had said in an interview that the show was originally interested in his fellow fireman buddy, but somehow he was picked instead.

• Love 1

MAFS Fan posted some spoilers in her IG stories. She posted two hints that Taylor and Brandon are possibly done:

• Pics of Taylor traveling overseas alone soon after the show ended
  • Screenshots of Taylor posting online that she is looking for a roommate 

Someone can explain away Taylor traveling alone, but why would Taylor be looking for (female) roommates, especially if she already has a husband? 😏

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I liked broke ass Matt. 

I thought it was decent of him to dump desperate Amber instead of living off her paycheck.  Hopefully, she's not so desperate anymore.

He might have already been seeing a sugar mamma he liked better before the show ended. I do agree that at least he did not take advantage of poor Amber financially, since she was more than willing to let him do so.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, qtpye said:

He might have already been seeing a sugar mamma he liked better before the show ended. I do agree that at least he did not take advantage of poor Amber financially, since she was more than willing to let him do so.

Since he didn't want to take advantage of Amber financially, I kinda doubt he was seeing another woman just for money.  He just seemed to like being a drifter, perhaps a hound dog, but he didn't strike me as being a gigolo.  

There's an oldie but goodie song called "Roadrunner" by Junior Walker & the All Stars, about a guy who can never stay in one place for too long, and that's who Matt reminds me of.  He's a Roadrunner.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, discoprincessthe2 said:

I believe Ryan had said in an interview that the show was originally interested in his fellow fireman buddy, but somehow he was picked instead.

If I recall correctly his friend backed out & Ryan moved forward with it.  He was obviously either not interested in Jackie or never really wanted to be married. Either way he was a dick. 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

If I recall correctly his friend backed out & Ryan moved forward with it.  He was obviously either not interested in Jackie or never really wanted to be married. Either way he was a dick. 

If I remember, his buddy that had applied was a fireman too and when he decided not to do it they picked Ryan. They obviously had a story line or a reason they wanted a firefighter? Did Jackie have a family member that was a firefighter? I know Courtney did and it seemed one of the reasons they matched her with Jason. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

Just sexually, which IMO he shouldn't have done if he knew from the go that he didn't want to be with her.

• Love 1