Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: A Hell of a Week: Part One

• Start Topic

The triplets at new-big-kid-bed age are adorable.

Um...when I was in college a fire drill still meant we had to leave the building...

Does college-Randall not have a roommate?

Adult Randall just gets more and more insufferable, but he has had a hell of a week, so I'll cut him some slack.

Poor little-Randall. Is this where he first started to learn he "had" to be the perfect one?

Despite his teen years, Kevin turned out to be a good brother.

I guess part two will be Kevin's week from hell. Then what fresh hell will Kate get for part three (I assume whatever happened to her in the flashback had to do with the boyfriend)?

• Love 22

This was a really good episode for Randall. He's never been my favourite Pearson, and he can be hit or miss for me, but it was really good to see more insight into Randall's psyche. I can deal with this Randall, not judgy Randall. This episode definitely sent me back to when I loved Randall in season 1. It's a shame it had to be through significant trauma.

I felt bad for Randall, having to deal with the aftermath of a break-in. It was hard to watch him spiral, but I'm glad he called Kevin. Kevin got him through his last breakdown, so it's good that he called him this time too.

I loved Randall's conversation with Omar Epps. The whole Pearson family needs therapy. 

As for the other stuff, it seems like Kevin's episode is next. He goes to Sophie's mom's funeral...and he's in bed with someone at the end? Now, I don't think it was Sophie because we got a glimpse of the hair and unless Sophie dyed her hair recently, it didn't look like it was Sophie. But we'll see, I guess! 

And I definitely have a bad feeling about Kate's story. They definitely hinted at Mark doing something to Kate, which caused Rebecca's dinner to be cancelled. I think that was a rare time we heard Teen Kevin sound so scared, if not the first time. 

Finally, YES! We get a new time period for the Big Three! We've only seen glimpses of the Little Three at this age, so I'm happy we're getting more.

• Love 19

I found that really boring and it didn’t reveal much we didn’t already know. I’m much more interested in seeing what happened with teen Kate and current day Kevin (pretty obvious that’s Sophie in bed with him).

• Love 18

I don’t think it’s on next week. I didn’t see it in my TV guide. 
The break in  was odd.  The guy didn’t seem real, he seemed to be walking in and had already been upstairs? Idk I still feel it had a surreal feeling to it. 

I am anxious at times and it’s horrible but Randall’s stubbornness was hard to watch. I’m glad he called Kevin and I feel bad they don’t be talking soon. 

• Love 10

Yikes, those dreams Randall was having about the creep being in the bedroom touching Beth were scary!  Beth was so comforting to Randall both young Randall & adult Randall, Beth really was the right person for Randall to marry.  I'm glad Darnell talked to Randall, I think all 3 Siblings need therapy.  The young Pearsons were so cute.  When Jack told Randall he had to be brave because Kate & Kevin were a handful, I guess little Randall felt even more pressure to be the 'perfect son". My heart was breaking in the dream sequence when Randall was shouting to Jack "you are dead".  I'm glad Randall feels he can call Kevin for help.

• Love 22

I enjoyed that way more than I expected to enjoy a Randall episode. First of all, toddler Randall is so dang cute! And I chuckled at both him and toddler Kevin spooking Dad while watching The Shining. "Please don't say redrum!" Heh.

I actually felt sorry for him at all ages, and that's no small feat. Loved Darnell reaching out to him.

Oh hey there, Sophie. Long time no see.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, debraran said:

I don’t think it’s on next week. I didn’t see it in my TV guide. 
The break in  was odd.  The guy didn’t seem real, he seemed to be walking in and had already been upstairs? Idk I still feel it had a surreal feeling to it. 

I am anxious at times and it’s horrible but Randall’s stubbornness was hard to watch. I’m glad he called Kevin and I feel bad they don’t be talking soon. 

Next episode is on Feb. 11th for some...reason.  

Eventually we knew Randall was going to hit some wall with his mental state, but I didn't think the dreams would be this bad.  I guess he always saw his dad as the protector and when he died, Randall had to become the "man of the house" and protector to Rebecca then his own family.  I guess a man breaking in meant he failed in being a protector and it triggered him.  He saved the woman, possibly thinking that he really was a protector and everyone calling him a hero should have validated that but clearly he thinks he's still a failure.

I did like this episode as it was a reminder that Randall is a good person with faults as opposed how he is now. 

• Love 13
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

That was a difficult hour to watch but also worthwhile.   I know part of Randall's pathology is his stubbornness and his need for control, but how many more people are going to suggest therapy before he listens?  

I applaud the writers for having Darnell be the one this week to talk to Randall man to man about the need for black men to seek professional help.   It would have been so easy for them to have Darnell be a dick to Randall at the town hall especially after the way Randall treated him the day before.

I may be in the minority here,  but I don't like Randall always calling Kevin when he breaks down.  Its great that Kevin has a big heart and wants to help his brother, but not in lieu of a licensed professional.  This is not Kevin's responsibility.  Boundaries are important. 

I agree with your entire post. There’s a big difference between being a loving and supportive sibling, and a therapist. And Kevin has his own issues with addiction to boot. 

• Love 18

I don’t think it was Sophie in the bed , because if it was her , they would have shown us her face . There would be no reason not to since we already know Kevin was with her for the funeral . I say it’s someone else . 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

Do all doors in every house (except mine) creak then opened? There's WD40 for that.

Randall watches the Great British Baking Show!

Another shout out to Cornish hens. Viewer alert: Never put Cornish hens on the menu if you are having a dinner party.

Something's wrong with Kate so EVERYONE has to be there? WTH. Randall, just drop out of college since you have to instantly be there if a Pearson stubs a toe. Girl better be on her death bed. My guess is whatever has happened will lead to some major speechifying.

Best line of the night: "Please don't say redrum." That made me laugh.

Otherwise, I just wanted someone, anyone, to take that freaking phone away from Randall. Holy cats, man.

That might be Sophie with Kevin. Face not shown so they wouldn't have to pay the actress, they just used an extra to fill in the space until next episode. That's got my vote.

• Love 8

Even Regis and Kathie Lee Gifford made an appearance. It was an okay episode but a whole hour of just Randall is too much for me. The individual story of the Big 3 is interesting but adult Randall is so overbearing for me that I usually need the other storylines to make me forget him. LOL!!!!

• Love 21
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

I know many have been dreading Rebecca's dementia story, but holy hell, Randall's fears at all ages, and especially as a teen, really packed a punch and hit home. Well done. That lucid dream, seeing his dead dad, not being able to speak, so, so real. Nice that Darnell spurred him on to reach out to Kevin in the end.  Bravo to all the actors/iterations of Randall.

I agree.

• Love 3

It was a good episode, all the Randall's played the fears and anxiety so well. 

I loved Randall and Kevin, Randall reaching out to him in the end and Kevin being there for him to get him through this. 

Randall making the alarm code his parents anniversary was such a Randall thing to do. Beth not knowing it and her crack about making it their anniversary made me laugh out loud.

• LOL 5
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, CleoCaesar said:

Teen Kate’s “Why are you mad? Did I do something wrong?” to scuzzy boyfriend Marc is subtly waving ALL the red flags for an abusive relationship. Pity we didn’t see more of that.

We will in her part of the trio of episodes though.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Poor little-Randall. Is this where he first started to learn he "had" to be the perfect one?

I'm assuming that was the point of that scene, yeah. And if so, yikes. Jack really unknowingly did a number on him with that.

40 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I don’t think it was Sophie in the bed , because if it was her , they would have shown us her face . There would be no reason not to since we already know Kevin was with her for the funeral . I say it’s someone else . 

I agree. There's a chance it could be her, but the fact that they didn't show the girl's face tells me it's not, and they just want us to think it's her.

19 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Something's wrong with Kate so EVERYONE has to be there? WTH. Randall, just drop out of college since you have to instantly be there if a Pearson stubs a toe. Girl better be on her death bed. My guess is whatever has happened will lead to some major speechifying.

I mean, odds are that her boyfriend likely hit/assaulted her, so yeah, I'd say that's a good enough reason to call her brother.

• Love 12

I'm confused as to how the burglar got upstairs to steal Beth and Randall's stuff.  They live in an old creaky house and Randall was already upstairs checking on Beth and the girls, so how did he miss an intruder just wandering around up there?  Also, the guy was facing towards Randall with his back to the door, so we're supposed to believe that after robbing them he just stood there waiting for someone to come down?  

Count me in as someone who doesn't think Kevin's in bed with Sophie.  The two of them will probably get coffee and have some sort of closure providing conversation where they part ways forever...and then Kevin will randomly bang the barista or something.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

Ouch Jack. That was not a good move. But I get it, he’s tired, Just wants to watch a movie and isn’t this drinking slightly crappy era Jack? Good writing to show that one seemingly innocuous thing can completely set a kid down a path for the rest of their lives. I really felt for all Randall’s here. Reminded me of why I liked Randall so much in the first season. And Beth! She’s the best, that’s ALOT for a college kid and she took it all in stride. He’s lucky to have her. I love the Kevin is his go to person. I think all three of the Big Three episodes will have whatever Jack does as each kid wakes up that night have some sort of lasting effect. 

• Love 23

I loved the continuity of Randall calling Kevin when he needs help, but hated that he lied to Kevin about the LA trip. I’ve had that dream multiple times where a deceased family member “acts” alive and I keep telling them that they’re dead, and it leaves me shaken for days afterwards, so I can relate.

Absolutely loved Darnell opening up to Randall about therapy, he saw that Randall was struggling and chose to help him despite their differences. (I’m glad he left his shrew of a wife at home.)

It was a throwaway comment, but I loved that three-year-old Kate made Rebecca sing her Wham! *and* Queen songs as lullabies. No little kid songs for her!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

Randall makes it impossible for me to like or sympathize with him.  I have no patience for someone who so obviously needs therapy that almost everyone around him can see it, yet who resolutely refuses to acknowledge it.  It's gross and insanely self-centered, and Randall makes himself a real burden to Beth and Kevin because it's always about him; they're wonderful people who love him to death, but they're not mental health professionals.  Moreover, it highlights to me how ungiving he is; he never really seems to listen to Beth (until he almost caused her to leave him), and I don't think he has ever or would ever be there for Kevin in the way Kevin is there for him.  He just takes and takes.  I'll be glad when Kevin cuts him out of his life for a minute.  I loved that Darnell tried to talk to him, but I also knew Randall was going to Randall and thank and dismiss him as condescendingly as you please.

So, as it turns out, I don't like 100% Randall-centric episodes.

As far as the woman in Kevin's bed, I have no doubt that's Sophie: as was said upthread, they didn't show her face so that they could use a random extra and not have to pay Alexandra Breckenridge for appearing in this episode.

• Love 20

I'm liking Randall less and less. His behaviour in his office when Darnell came to see him was boorish and rude. You don't pick up your phone and ignore someone who is sitting across from you trying to talk to you. Whoever's calling can just leave a message and damn well wait.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I'm confused as to how the burglar got upstairs to steal Beth and Randall's stuff.  They live in an old creaky house and Randall was already upstairs checking on Beth and the girls, so how did he miss an intruder just wandering around up there?  Also, the guy was facing towards Randall with his back to the door, so we're supposed to believe that after robbing them he just stood there waiting for someone to come down?  

Count me in as someone who doesn't think Kevin's in bed with Sophie.  The two of them will probably get coffee and have some sort of closure providing conversation where they part ways forever...and then Kevin will randomly bang the barista or something.

I live in a home like his, but not as nice. It is noisy, I creaked coming down stairs today ; ) A lot about his invasion was odd, my husband has been a city police officer for 30 years and he thought it was "off" too. The crook went upstairs but then seemed to be coming in the kitchen, he came in through an open door or window it seems, never said a word, had knife but seemed stunned, never tried to run or attack Randall. It did seem dream-like. The missing cufflinks and earrings maybe were to emphasize he was real, but the followup was weak. Randall gave him money/wallet. I don't think he took anything else and most crooks don't start upstairs, leave the kitchen untouched and living room untouched. Time will tell, but it was odd and the purse snatcher later was silly. If Randall made a mistake and it wasn't a robbery, I feel that would have driven home how tight he was and the "hero" part he rejected was probably not needed.

I loved seeing the young Pearson's I've seen in stock photos but never used yet. There was a birthday one too that might come up one day. I agree with most of you that Jack was wrong saying Randall had to be strong but as a tired parent of 3 kids, I might have said something I regret too.

It's going to be hard watching Kate with this loser but as an adult, Rebecca and Kate didn't seem that upset looking at his picture, it was more a sad thing. I remember thinking he committed suicide or something bad happened.  If he attacked her I think her reaction would be worse.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't think Jack meant any harm, or to put undue pressure on little Randall. Seemed to me he was trying to help him overcome his fear by conspiring with him, letting him know how brave and good he is.  He'd just finished telling him the monsters were just as afraid of [Randall] now, too.  I think it was always in Randall's DNA to be anxious. I don't think it makes Jack a bad parent because he tried to ease his fears this way.

i don't think anyone believes that Jack is a flat-out bad parent. But that scene was put into the episode for a reason - to show that in Jack's well-meaning attempt to get Randall to be brave, he gave Randall the impression that he owes it to his parents to never make a fuss or say he needs help. The whole "we're counting on you to hold it together" part was just a bad idea.

As for the woman in bed, this show gets good enough ratings that I think they could easily afford to show Alexandra Breckenridge's face. I think they're trying to create a cliffhanger - who's the mystery woman? Is it Sophie? Is it someone else?

My guess would be that it's not Sophie. Unless they introduce a different woman with a similar hair color, tease us with the possibility that she's Ms. Right, and then show him jumping into bed with Sophie because they're meant to be.

• Love 8
(edited)

Did we know that Jack and Rebecca's anniversary was 5/16/76 before this episode?

I really feel for Randall because dealing with anxiety and insomnia is hard enough without the additional stress of your mom not being well and a home invasion. But that's why he really needs to go to therapy. You don't have to deal with this on your own and frankly, you shouldn't try. Randall is not a mental health professional. He's a guy dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety.

There's nothing wrong with going to see someone who can help with that. It's not any different than going to your primary care physician when you have a cough or a weird rash or an unusual pain. That's what they are there for. That's what they're trained to treat.

And you REALLY need to see someone when whatever your issue happens to be starts affecting your ability to do your job, have good/honest/healthy relationships, or your day to day life in general. If you can't have a five minute conversation with someone because you're obsessed with your security notifications, this is affecting you enough that you need to see someone. If you are exhausted because you can't sleep and you're having nightmares, you need to get some help.

It's really not fair to Beth who is trying to be patient and help him through all of this. I can't imagine his first major breakdown when he couldn't see was easy on her. She's trying to make sure it doesn't get to that point again but he keeps brushing side her attempts to help him. It's like if my spouse had a huge gaping bloody wound and every time I suggested that he bandage it or see a doctor, he told me he was fine when I could clearly see NO, THAT IS DEFINITELY NOT FINE. At what point do you get so fed up with the other person's refusal to treat a gaping wound that you don't know what to do anymore? I know Randall is an adult who is allowed to make his own choices but he needs to understand that his choice not to see a therapist is affecting other people around him.

Darnell was really kind to come talk to Randall and gently encourage him to see a therapist. It annoyed me that he basically blew him off. People are trying to help you, man. Jae-won wanted to reschedule the town hall meeting because he could see Randall was exhausted and not up for it but Randall refused. Beth tried to talk to him and he shut that down. When he called Kevin the night that Beth and the girls were at a hotel, Kevin tried to talk to him but Randall hung up because he was afraid Kevin would ask more questions about his fake business trip. When this many people are trying to help you, YOU PROBABLY NEED HELP.

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

when I was in college a fire drill still meant we had to leave the building.

When I lived in the dorms, the RAs were supposed to check every room to make sure that everyone was gone. If you were found in your room during a fire drill (or after the alarm went off but before the fire department gave the all clear to come back), they would fine you. I think it was $50 or $100.

There was some kind of problem with the old wiring in our dorm which meant the fire alarm went off a lot when there wasn't actually a fire. I still left every time because duh, what if there's really a fire? I wasn't about to die because of laziness.

One weekend when my roommate was gone, the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night. Apparently I was dead asleep because I slept through the entire thing. I got mad when I realized that the RA did not in fact check my room to make sure no one was in it. If there really had been a fire, I would have died because of her laziness!

3 hours ago, Lily H said:

I'm liking Randall less and less. His behaviour in his office when Darnell came to see him was boorish and rude. You don't pick up your phone and ignore someone who is sitting across from you trying to talk to you. Whoever's calling can just leave a message and damn well wait.

No one was calling Randall. Those were alerts from the new security system that motion had been detected.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 16

I'm not a big Randall fan so I'm WAY more excited about the next two episodes!! WHY oh WHY must we wait so long?? We just waited the entire break. 

Anyways to this episode. I absolutely loved seeing the toddler big 3s, esp little Kevin in the end MELTED my heart. I wasn't convinced by the Randall actor though, he felt very stiff to me. Feel like they could have done better in that department. Or maybe Randall is just stiff and it's annoying me. 

This episode showed how truly lucky Randall was to find Beth. She is almost unreal as a teenage girl. 

I loved what everyone commented about how that flashback to that horror movie night is going to show something that really affected the big 3s. It is really interesting how these small things can have a huge affect on kids. Even done in the best interest at the time. Parenting really is a challenge. I'm wondering how Jack is going to handle Kevin and Kate. 

Also SO curious as to Kate's bf. For some reason I feel like being abusive would be too obvious and it must be something else super insane but yet have no idea as to what. I mean for a bday dinner to be cancelled and siblings to leave immediately and come home, that is not something to take lightly. Did he beat her up dangerously? Make her pregnant and have her abort? 

Im ready for the love story next time! I'm 100% sure it's Sophie in the bed and I couldn't be happier!! 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't think Jack meant any harm, or to put undue pressure on little Randall. Seemed to me he was trying to help him overcome his fear by conspiring with him, letting him know how brave and good he is.  He'd just finished telling him the monsters were just as afraid of [Randall] now, too.  I think it was always in Randall's DNA to be anxious. I don't think it makes Jack a bad parent because he tried to ease his fears this way.

I agree, I think his intentions were good (really, he just wanted to not have to sleep on the floor). But the road to hell and all that (or the road to a hell of a week...).

I did question the use of the phrase "high-maintenance" to a three-year-old...but then it is Randall. He probably had the vocabulary of a teenager by then. 😉

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Teen Kate’s “Why are you mad? Did I do something wrong?” to scuzzy boyfriend Marc is subtly waving ALL the red flags for an abusive relationship. Pity we didn’t see more of that.

We'll see it after Kevin's episode.  

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes.  Saint Jack really dropped the ball in this one.  It cannot be the only time Randall was told to be brave and take care of the family, but this was probably when the indoctrination began.  Little comments add up.

The actress who plays college age Beth is very good.  She has adult Beth's mannerisms down perfectly.  The way she tilts her head and the cadence.  Well done, young lady!

I thought for sure Beth or Randall would find the missing jewelry at the end, find out it was one of the girls who had borrowed the stuff without asking.  So scary to think the burglar was creeping around upstairs while they all slept.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was so waiting for it to be revealed that Randall was seeing things and just imagined the robbery and was just beating up a random guy, but I guess that would be pretty hard for Randall to come back from politically, so probably not going there. 

Yeah, I thought maybe he imagined a situation that wasn't really happening. 

4 hours ago, Lily H said:

It's even worse.  He was reaching for his phone every frickin' frackin' time someone walked past the house.   Time to see a professional, Randall!  Hopefully he will see it now.  (Who am I kidding?)

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I was unconvinced by that, too.  I guess the guy did break in, because didn't Randall say something about having to be there and make sure the broken window was replaced?  So apparently he did not just walk in after Randall forgot to lock the door.  But him being upstairs and unheard, and in the dark finding jewelry (weren't Randall's cuff links in a box?), that just does not compute.  He might have been elsewhere downstairs by the time Randall arrived, and decided he still wanted to prowl downstairs, but the upstairs part seems strange.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Randall watches the Great British Baking Show!

9 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

But him being upstairs and unheard, and in the dark finding jewelry (weren't Randall's cuff links in a box?), that just does not compute

I laughed at the GBBS because I find that very calming too watch too

Beth must be the soundest sleeper ever if the guy was wandering around upstairs and taking things out of her room.  If my husband is not home and I am expecting him to arrive, I would wake up as soon as someone comes in the house (I live in a townhouse, so small), but definitely when someone comes in my room.  Especially in "TV land" where people never remove their shoes when coming in their home.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Lily H said:

Worse, he was just looking at the security camera on his porch, which he has set to notify him of every delivery guy, chipmunk or falling leaf that might cross its path.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There was some kind of problem with the old wiring in our dorm which meant the fire alarm went off a lot when there wasn't actually a fire. I still left every time because duh, what if there's really a fire? I wasn't about to die because of laziness.

Yeah, RAs had to check rooms at my school, too. I don't know what the consequences were if you didn't leave. I think they did an actual drill once a semester, but at least once or twice someone set it off by burning microwave popcorn, and the door to the bathroom at the other end of my floor had to be left ajar when the showers were running because if all the steam was let out at once it would set off the alarm (as far as I know it was the only bathroom that had that issue). That happened a few times in my three years in that dorm. Usually late at night.

33 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

He might have been elsewhere downstairs by the time Randall arrived, and decided he still wanted to prowl downstairs, but the upstairs part seems strange.

Maybe he was trying to leave after Randall went upstairs and was surprised by him coming back down?

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Randall was watching The Great British Baking Show, which is an excellent choice when you want something to calm you down.

In their little feety pajamas! Too cute.

Yep. He may or may not have been violent with her, but he's definitely emotionally abusive at the very least.

I thought that was really telling (and shitty of Jack). Randall has always had to be the "strong one," and no one can or should be strong all the time.

That happened to me too. I went to the RA like "Um, so I slept through that last night. Just a heads-up." He winced.

The talk between Darnell and Randall about Black men needing help sometimes was so real. There's still a stigma against therapy in the Black community, especially with Black men (see: having to be "the strong one"). I thought it was very moving for Darnell to reach out to Randall like that. (I thought it was interesting that Darnell's religious leader referred him to his therapist - often in the Black community we're told that faith is a substitute for therapy. "Talk to God about it, you'll be fine.") I was also really moved by Randall reaching out to Kevin ... and then some months later they're not speaking.

In East Asian communities too.  For us, it’s about upsetting the ancestors and “cursing” the family for generations (and from what I understand, the past generations as well).  And this goes for people who are very integrated as well.  Many of us are newly integrated (first generation born/raised here) and however unintentional, feel that there’s some kind of custom we have to uphold, I guess.  And it’s hard to hide things from family so even if we lied about going to therapy, we’d be pressured by families to admit it.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

As for the woman in bed, this show gets good enough ratings that I think they could easily afford to show Alexandra Breckenridge's face. I think they're trying to create a cliffhanger - who's the mystery woman? Is it Sophie? Is it someone else?

Yes. That's what they do. So, a mild Kevin cliffhanger, and a bigger one involving teen Kate.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really feel for Randall because dealing with anxiety and insomnia is hard enough without the additional stress of your mom not being well and a home invasion.

Randall was already anxious,  but I think the insomnia was caused by fear that another burglar might break in at night. (Randall mentioned getting the window fixed while Beth and the girls were at the hotel, so I assume that's how the burglar gained entrance.)  How could Randall just drift off to sleep when his family had proven to be so vulnerable?  Would the security system be enough?  And wouldn't his phone ping any time someone got up to use the bathroom? I get his sleep difficulties. 

• Love 2

When Beth mentioned her missing earrings, I thought maybe one of their girls had "borrowed" them, and they should check to see if they know anything.  But when Randall's cufflinks were also missing, out of a box, that's when I began to believe that the burglar had actually been upstairs.

I first thought that Randall hadn't closed the front door, or maybe had forgotten to lock it, and that's how the guy got in.  But then they talked about getting a window (?) fixed.  Think how guilty Randall would feel if he had neglected to close/lock the front door!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Randall makes it impossible for me to like or sympathize with him.  I have no patience for someone who so obviously needs therapy that almost everyone around him can see it, yet who resolutely refuses to acknowledge it.  It's gross and insanely self-centered, and Randall makes himself a real burden to Beth and Kevin because it's always about him; they're wonderful people who love him to death, but they're not mental health professionals.  Moreover, it highlights to me how ungiving he is; he never really seems to listen to Beth (until he almost caused her to leave him), and I don't think he has ever or would ever be there for Kevin in the way Kevin is there for him.  He just takes and takes.  I'll be glad when Kevin cuts him out of his life for a minute.  I loved that Darnell tried to talk to him, but I also knew Randall was going to Randall and thank and dismiss him as condescendingly as you please.

I had the same thought about Randall and Kevin.  I don't see Randall being as loving and supportive if Kevin called him in a crisis.  If Kevin called Randall asking him to help him not take a drink, I could see Randall blowing him off instead of talking Kevin off the ledge.  We all saw Randall and his dismissive attitude during Kevin's family therapy session.  I can easily see Randall being someone who thinks addiction is a moral failing and a choice instead of a disease like his anxiety.  

• Love 10