Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E06: There Is Only One You

• Start Topic

Da'Young is Korean.

I can see people aren't understanding my question. Deyoung is the designer but if someone who is not of Korean descent wears it, is it appropriation? I'm thinking of the American girl who wore a beautiful kimono to her prom and was eviscerated on Instagram. I personally thought it was great (as did most of the Japanese/Chinese who posted in response)

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

Why have a challenge if there isn't going to be a consequence for not following the challenge?

I agree Victoria should've just been safe.

I kind of liked Nancy's jacket even more than Chelsey's, but plaid isn't really my thing, so the pants on Nancy's outfit weren't my favorite.

I might have more to say when I see the photo recaps. I always like getting a longer more detailed look to see if my first impressions match up with what I see in the photos.

• Love 8

I would rather wear the female version of a regular "letter jacket." Chelsea's looked a bit tent-like to me.

Victoria, having purchased the wrong shade of blue to represent Moldova, had to remain quiet or reveal her blunder.

Sergio's critic was spot-on: a Latina cliche from the 1950s. And having the models do his work for him? No.

Delvin showed a major lack of imagination this week. He not only chose a childish, even petulant, approach by writing tailor's notes onto the garment; he used the exact same "hot pink and black and white stripes" colors as in the previous week! No-one mentioned that!

• Love 9

So, does Sergio hand out a study guide with every 'political statement' -- er, I mean dress -- he sells? And does he insist the client read it out at every public appearance?

And who's going to know what those names mean? Would you recognize them offhand? I wouldn't. And what a fun party that would be! "Whose names are those on your dress, dear?" "Oh, six children who died at the border. Are there any more cocktail weenies?"

And if he's such a great designer, why does he consistently make that curvy, cute model look so dumpy and sad? Most of that dress could have come straight out of the "Lucy & Desi Go to Cuba" episode.

I liked Victoria's outfit but it would be more appropriate for an avant garde challenge. Yes, she should have been safe. I really liked Brittany's -- she embraced her background. DaYoung's was gorgeous.

50 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I laughed even harder when she said that Geoffrey, Brittany, and Delvin and then the producers said, "What about Sergio?" and she immediately said, "No, of course not."

She was so dismissive! That's why I can't help but like her. It doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes....

• LOL 11
  • Love 12

Okay, watched (most) of the show after recording it last night.

All I could think when Victoria's onsie came out was that it looked like a bad costume for Star Trek, circa 1970-something. Body hugging, sexist (and this is my boob...!) and unwearable for virtually any normal human.

And I seriously doubt that it was made out of doubleknit but you never know.

• LOL 4
  • Love 17
12 hours ago, heckkitty said:

Sergio is SUCH an ass. Even when he’s making a cool, important statement, he’s too special to be bothered by Christian.  Grr.  oh&also cant do his own embroidery 🙄

He didn't make an effective statement.  You couldn't read the names on the dress.   Then it was a butt ugly dress, which further dragged his attempt at a statement down.   That cut out in the front was probably an attempt to make it "fashion foward" (whatever that means) but it ended up looking like he ran short of the ruffle fabric.   How long is he going to skate by?  Either of the other two men with him in the bottom have produced better dresses this season than Sergio.  They should have stayed.

I was happy with a win by either Dayoung or Chelsey.  Both did a great job of meeting the goal of the challenge and in doing something interesting and personal.   Chelsey's letter jacket coat was fun and young and would have a strong niche audience.  It reminded me of Beyonce's salute to HBCU's at Coachella in 2018.   Classic made hip.    Dayoung's jacket was gorgeous, both in her choice of fabric and in the design and fit.  It will have a strong audience, too.  I'd buy that and wear the heck out of it.  Over a dress.  Over skinny black pants.  Heck, over a pair of jeans.  I'd live in that jacket.  I see the letter jacket coat is for sale today $385.   A bit expensive maybe?  I hope Dayoung's jacket is the fan favorite and it up for sale, too.  I wouldn't pay that much, though.

6 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I can see people aren't understanding my question. Deyoung is the designer but if someone who is not of Korean descent wears it, is it appropriation?

No, the jacket isn't derived from a religious or otherwise sacred design.  Nothing about it insults or degrades the culture from which it comes.   The wearer wouldn't be trying to pretend to be Korean.

• Love 15
30 minutes ago, Beden said:

All I could think when Victoria's onsie came out was that it looked like a bad costume for Star Trek

Yes, that's exactly what it looked like!

5 minutes ago, terrymct said:

He didn't make an effective statement.  You couldn't read the names on the dress. 

For me, that was the major fail of his attempt to make a statement. You aren't making a statement if people don't know what it is. Even from close range, the judges couldn't tell what it was. During the runway show, Karlie asked if Brandon could tell what was written on the skirt because she couldn't read it. If kind of defeats the purpose of your message if people can't read it or tell what it's supposed to be.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, KFC said:

Normally I find it just bitter grapes when one contestant bitches about another one receiving constant praise. But when Brittany was backstage going off on the judges' hardon for Victoria all I could think was "YES! YES! YES!"

No, I still think it's bitter grapes :)  Brittany is eaten alive with jealousy that Victoria is the judges' favorite and I love watching a mean girl get cut down to size because Brittany clearly feels like she should always be in the top.  And it seems rather cruel whenever Brittany makes fun of Victoria's accent or her mispronouncing words--take off your false eyelashes and get some compassion.

That being said, I have no problem with Victoria being in the top again because like the judges said, the woman can sew and her clothes look well done.  Contrast that with Shavi who has great ideas but he can't always execute them because he's chosen the wrong fabric.

I also loved the judges' calling out Sergio on his political designs and that if he truly wants to get his message across, he needs to make better clothes and not fake cry on the runway

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
2 hours ago, Gummo said:

She was so dismissive! That's why I can't help but like her. It doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes....

I love her not only because she's cute (although Nancy is more in my demographic), but because she reminds me of Elena, my Project Runway GOAT.

• Love 5

Sergio gets worse every week.  His attitude and designs are on a downward slope, and I’m hoping his days are numbered.  That dress was a mess.  The styling was awful.  His poor model looked like a sad, stereotype of a 30’s Latina Betty Boop by way of 50’s Lucy Ricardo.  The silhouette was horrendous.  His message was completely lost and made him look opportunistic IMO.  As others have noted, it’s as if he figured he would be safe if he paraded an emotionally/politically charged topic in front of the judges.  If they dissed him, then they would be heartless, racist monsters.  Thank goodness the darker haired judge spelled out the separation of his message and his half-assed attempt to convey it.

I can barely sew a button on, but I know I could have interpreted Sergio’s message better in a garment.  I get his family connection to cotton, so maybe a stark, all white cotton dress, inspired by Mexican traditions.  Add red accents to represent the “blood” of immigrants’ struggles to make better lives for themselves and their kids. But not that lacy material he chose for the red.  Maybe use blood red embroidered flowers (or appliqué them from another fabric) around the hem (or ‘border’), with six loose, tear-shaped petals, scattered so look like they are floating up and away from the hem. 

Baffled by the Victoria adoration.  Yes, she can sew and do impeccable tailoring, but most of her designs are better suited for space aliens once NASA establishes an outpost on Mars.

I have been meh with most of Brittany’s designs, but I really liked her Western inspired outfit.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I am not a fan of Victoria's repetitive looks but I laughed SO HARD first when she said she felt "guilty" about being in the top so many times. SURE, JAN. I laughed even harder when she said that Geoffrey, Brittany, and Delvin and then the producers said, "What about Sergio?" and she immediately said, "No, of course not."

Can someone explain the context of this?  I missed this.  What *about* Sergio?

51 minutes ago, terrymct said:

I hope Dayoung's jacket is the fan favorite and it up for sale, too.  I would pay that much, though.

How are they going to judge the fan favourite?  The show is obviously not live.  I didn't understand that part.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I can see people aren't understanding my question. Deyoung is the designer but if someone who is not of Korean descent wears it, is it appropriation? I'm thinking of the American girl who wore a beautiful kimono to her prom and was eviscerated on Instagram. I personally thought it was great (as did most of the Japanese/Chinese who posted in response)

I'm curious why the question is if Dayoung's outfit is cultural appropriation but not anybody else's.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, raven said:

Oh Shavi :(((  I hate when designers I like cry.  Don't cry, Shavi!

9 hours ago, hula-la said:

I love that Shavi apologized to his model that he was making her not look good on tv. He will be missed.

Damnit, man!  Shavi was my favorite and now he's gone with no Christian save.  I knew he was going to be in trouble when he started talking about using muslin for his liner.  Sigh.  Nothing good ever happens when muslin hits the runway.  And I just wanted to hug him when he was clearly embarrassed by the final product.

But he seems to be such a sweet soul with an easy humor and I hope they bring him back for a future season.  

11 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I absolutely hated the winning look, with the huge initials and name on the back. Who's going to buy that? I wish the lady from South Korea had won.

Right?!  Me too.  I don't get it.  A varsity jacket with a mustard colored jersey dress underneath??  Between this winning and Victoria being in the top again, my frustration with this season is growing.  

• Love 9
11 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

I could understand where Sergio was coming from with the design and the names of the children in the garment - if it was any other designer but him.   

I  understood where Sergio was coming from with the names of the children, but while his intentions were pure, this was not the challenge for that.  Besides the fact that his dress was just fugly, it was also a pop-up sale challenge.  Most people are not going to want to wear a dress with names embroidered on it, unless it is a very famous brand or designer.  So, because of the political statement and the explanations that would have to go along with the garment, I don't think the dress is very "sellable".  And, as I said, the dress was NOT fashionable, flattering or even interesting.  (And, the embroidery was shoddy and child-like-I remember doing "embroidery" like that when I was about 8-10 years old with a large needle and yarn.)

• Love 7
12 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Pre-runway, I’d guess the featured ladies are ok and the featured guys are not.

FUNNY! Cause on watch what happens live Karlie was shown pics of styles and asked yay or nay and the last pic was of colored eye shadow (blue in the pic shown) and she was all, scrunched up face, saying mmmmm, time and place for that sort of thing time and place..... 

I guess she meant at the judges chair.. LOL

11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I can’t with Sergio. His whole thing this episode felt really exploitative. It did not feel natural at all, it was like he was using the story of the kids to prop up himself as a designer and it came across really icky. Like he thought the judges wouldn’t be able to auf him because that would be like they were against the kids or something. His tears felt fake as well. Gross. 

I don't understand Sergio.  He claims his customer is the high-end, over 40 crowd with money.  I somehow cannot see anyone in that particular demographic that wears high-end, semi-couture ball gowns that he claims he makes, wearing a 1950's Betty Boop dress with red lace overlay  and embroidered muslin that makes a political statement.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Why have a challenge if there isn't going to be a consequence for not following the challenge?

Nancy’s has nothing to do with the challenge either. She said she made something she would have worn when she was young. What does that have to do with heritage?

i choked up when Delvin hugged Shavi goodbye and said ‘this isn’t the end’ or something similar. I really like him and feel like he is getting an odd edit. 

Edited by Kroliosis
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Can someone explain the context of this?  I missed this.  What *about* Sergio?

How are they going to judge the fan favourite?  The show is obviously not live.  I didn't understand that part.

I think they were asking who else was good & I hooted at “no, of course not” re: Sergio.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I didn't hate Victoria's outfit, but I really disliked the unnecessary cutouts above the knees.  What point did they serve?  (If I was that model with that body I would want Victoria to dress me - she obviously knows how to make things fit and look good even when they are as tight as a second skin!).

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Kroliosis said:

Nancy’s has nothing to do with the challenge either. She said she made something she would have worn when she was young. What does that have to do with heritage?

i choked up when Delvin hugged Shavi goodbye and said ‘this isn’t the end’ or something similar. I really like him and feel like he is getting an odd edit. 

If pushed, Nancy could have claimed those plaids were reflective of Scottish heritage or something.   Or maybe New England preppie.  There are stories she could have created.  We really didn't get to hear her on the runway pitch it, though.

I like both Delvin and Shavi, although both had problems this week.   They're more talented and interesting than Sergio by far.

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

I think they were asking who else was good & I hooted at “no, of course not” re: Sergio.

I think they had asked who she saw as her competition.  I also got a laugh at her reaction to Sergio - like it had never crossed her mind.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, terrymct said:

If pushed, Nancy could have claimed those plaids were reflective of Scottish heritage or something.   Or maybe New England preppie.  There are stories she could have created.  We really didn't get to hear her on the runway pitch it, though.

I like both Delvin and Shavi, although both had problems this week.   They're more talented and interesting than Sergio by far.

That makes sense. I missed any Scottish mention - I was getting hungry with her sister talking about meatballs & ricotta 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Victoria's 'don't hate me for being so wonderful and talented'- interesting variation on 'humble bragging'. I laughed at Geoffrey telling her to make her hair bigger.

Brittany went too far with the cowboy boots and hat, but that dress was cute.

Dayoung's fabric was gorgeous, and I liked the front of the jacket, but it was too bulky and lumpy in back. Although in Korea, they do use some heavier/quilted fabrics because it's a cold climate.

Chelsey's jacket made Thijin look like she has no neck. I also didn't get why a letter jacket = education.

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I didn't hate Victoria's outfit, but I really disliked the unnecessary cutouts above the knees.  What point did they serve?  (If I was that model with that body I would want Victoria to dress me - she obviously knows how to make things fit and look good even when they are as tight as a second skin!).

Victoria definitely knows fit.  Those pants hugged the model's curves perfectly.  I think she was in the top just for the judges to applaud her fit.  I am curious to see what happens if she gets a plus-sized model.  

• Useful 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

That blue stretchy space suit that Victoria designed was odd and unwearable. Yes, it fit her model well but who would ever, ever wear that.

I was expecting Bruce Willis to swoop in to try to save her and Chris Tucker.

Chelsey's look could have won the Dapper Dan streetwear challenge and was the most saleable look in the show this week. Who would try to mass market Victoria's look? (the gorgeous fit on those pants not withstanding).

Also loved watching every, time,  the models paraded into the workroom; each one also worked hard to sell the looks on the runway with flair and dramatic poses..

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, terrymct said:

In challenges like this one, I wish that all of the contestants would get critiqued by the judges. Yes, that would take time away from workroom/apt drama, calls with family and shopping in Mood. When the designers produce something that is intended to be personal, I'd like to see the judges respond to all of them. There were some interesting designs and stories that, IMO, received short shrift. Instead, we get lots of time with Sergio and his self-important musings.

I agree that Delvin and Shavi are more interesting/talented than Sergio. I also like Marquis' style and hope to see more from him.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

The winning coat is already up for sale. Customizable but one size fits all, which can be dicey. 

The volume really does say 'one size fits all  (at once)', lol. Great youthful "fashion forward design". Wasn't Christian the one who told her to do "something" with the sleeves? and she was ready to pick up on that!

Liked that they used Delvin's "in-process" allusion by putting the dress form on the jacket.

Edited by Eulipian 5k
shout out to Dr D.
  • Love 1

First of all, the guest judge 😍😍😍 someone please remind me of his name so I can google stalk him. 

Loved Delvin's smirk when Sergio said all his designs are political. Lmaoooo. I remember Sergio saying this a few episodes back and Tyler asked him to his face how his design that week was political and thus the Tyler love started. Haha

I'd love to know what the designers are scored on and how they are added up because Elaine and guest judge did not like Victoria's design and Karly said that although she made it into the top it was not a hit with everyone. So... 2 lower scores plus 3 higher scores got her into the top over 5 so-so scores with Nancy, Marquis or Brittany? I don't get it. 

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Kroliosis said:

But Nancy wasn't in the top 3, so she wasn't being rewarded for not following the exact spirit of the challenge. Victoria was in the top 3 and when asked, she didn't even explain her supposed reasoning for making the garment the way she did - something about the blue coloration. Of course that also meant that she didn't have to admit that she might've chosen the wrong blue (which maybe she should have researched ahead of time), but in that case, it looked like she was being ingenuous. I'm not going to say that she pretended not to understand the judges so that she didn't have to admit it, but really what did she have to lose by explaining it? They weren't going to take her out of the top 3.

I understand that there might have been a language barrier, but knowing what the challenge was, she maybe should have been ready to explain her design. What if the judges had put her on the bottom (for making something not in the spirit of the challenge, for example)? She should have been ready to say what her thought process had been concerning the color and admit what happened.

By just not addressing it, it appeared like she was just ignoring the judges' challenge and going "eh, I'll just make whatever I want, and they'll like it anyway, so who cares if I don't follow the rules." That the judges did just imply basically "who cares if others followed the challenge and Victoria didn't, I was surprised, and that's all that counts," is not a good precedence, in my opinion. And it handicaps others who did try to follow the challenge even if they would rather have made a 1970s Star Trek cat suit, too.

38 minutes ago, terrymct said:

True and maybe that explains her choice of plaid, which is a risky choice in a one day challenge - because as Nancy said she had to make sure the pattern matched up. But yes, we didn't get to hear her pitch it. It could be that maybe it was something she would like to have worn when she was young, because she saw something like that in her surroundings growing up and wished she could wear it also.

(Though was there an implication of Italian heritage, also? I need to rewatch that part of the episode. I think red and white checks are sometimes reminiscent of Italian restaurants, but green is also a prominent color, so if so, the green might have been a nod to some Italian heritage. I thought that I remembered green anyway - hopefully I didn't remember that wrongly?)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

What the fuck did Victoria make? That was hideous. Well made sure but hideous.

Alien Ambassador's uniform, Star Trek: TNG, circa 1990.

12 hours ago, hula-la said:

I love that Shavi apologized to his model that he was making her not look good on tv. He will be missed.

Shavi's a gentleman through and through. I love him. He was so gracious on the runway. I am gutted that Christian didn't save him.

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really wanted Sergio to go home with that abomination.  I hated the dress and his IMHO fake political statement.  Using the names of those kids on a garment you know will be available for purchase is beyond the pale.  Someone (Bravo, 19th Amendment, Sergio himself possibly) would be profiting off of that statement if Sergio won.  I highly doubt any of these entities would seek out the parents of the deceased children and give them their cut.  Not to mention, what kind of facility are the clothes being made in?  What country?  Are the workers being properly paid for their time?   

I believe fashion is art and art is political, but mass production of this kind of political statement does not sit well with me.  If this was just a design challenge or a commission for Sergio, then I would have no problem with it.  

I am applauding wildly over here. Cosign 100%. Excellent point about the exploitation of tragedy for profit, and further exploitation of garment workers, potentially. Sergio wants to be the socially conscious designer? But he came across as opportunistic, even cynical. Bah. He's a showboat, and full of shit. He should be ashamed.

3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

No, I still think it's bitter grapes 🙂 Brittany is eaten alive with jealousy that Victoria is the judges' favorite and I love watching a mean girl get cut down to size because Brittany clearly feels like she should always be in the top.  And it seems rather cruel whenever Brittany makes fun of Victoria's accent or her mispronouncing words--take off your false eyelashes and get some compassion.

That being said, I have no problem with Victoria being in the top again because like the judges said, the woman can sew and her clothes look well done.  Contrast that with Shavi who has great ideas but he can't always execute them because he's chosen the wrong fabric.

Since last week Brittany is dead to me, so I did laugh and laugh at her discomfiture.

I'm not nuts about Victoria's clothes, but I like her. Everyone seems to like her. So she just blissfully floats around, doing her own thing, fluffing up her hair...she makes me laugh so I'm glad to have her stick around. That she's a thorn in Brittany's side is a bonus. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

I think the question is would it be cultural appropriation for someone of another ethnicity to buy and wear it.

Is it cultural appropriation to wear the winning design if one comes from a country that has no history of letter jackets?

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

Ha-ha. Does that mean a Chinese person can't eat spaghetti? (Yes... exactly, about who invented noodles) or an American can't eat sushi, or practice karate?

As they said, Dayoung's  look would go great with "european" (ha-ha) pants on any street in New York.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrSparkles said:

They were asking her who she thought her main competition was and she mentioned some names, then someone asked what about Sergio.  lol  While there was a lot of ugly outfits imo, there was not one outfit that I totally loved.  I liked Nancy's jacket, but loathed that pant, I liked the front of Dayoung's jacket, but not the back, liked the fit of Victoria's but hated the outfit itself etc.  Sergio should have been booted.  I will really miss Shavi and I hope Delvin steps up his game.

Edited by AlleC17
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

I didn't ask the question, I was just interpreting it.

Sorry, I did realize that, but yours was the latest post to mention and was just continuing the conversation.  Hope I didn't offend.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6

When they announced the safe designers I felt like I was in some sort of bizarro world.  I was CERTAIN they were going to be on top.  I loved all four.  I wonder if none were on top because this was a flash sale challenge and so the winner had to be a garment that would be inexpensive to reproduce? 

4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I think the question is: if Da'Young had won, and they mass produced her outfit, would the non-Asian consumers  who purchased it be guilty of 'cultural appropriation'?

I loved Nancy's look best, and thought she and Brittany and Marquise would be the top 3. Nope. I don't know fashion, I guess.

I will not say that I don't believe that Sergio is genuinely moved and devastated by the treatment of immigrants at the border, as we all should be. But his weeping on the runway looked rehearsed and disingenuous. It doesn't help that he's such a douchebag, with such a...punchable face.

So sad to see Shavi go.

I thought Christian would save him

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
16 minutes ago, beaker73 said:

When they announced the safe designers I felt like I was in some sort of bizarro world.  I was CERTAIN they were going to be on top.  I loved all four.  I wonder if none were on top because this was a flash sale challenge and so the winner had to be a garment that would be inexpensive to reproduce? 

This is why I dislike the whole flash sale concept. It means that the top garments are always going to be things that are relatively simply, not multiple pieces or made with complex technique, so they can be mass produced for not a lot of money, rather than what's the best design. I much preferred when they had a single commerce-oriented challenge per season (winning look sold at Banana Republic, Macys, etc.) for that reason.

• Love 23
23 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

This is why I dislike the whole flash sale concept. It means that the top garments are always going to be things that are relatively simply, not multiple pieces or made with complex technique, so they can be mass produced for not a lot of money, rather than what's the best design. I much preferred when they had a single commerce-oriented challenge per season (winning look sold at Banana Republic, Macys, etc.) for that reason.

I don't object to the flash sale concept.  I just object to them being told about it after they have designed, selected fabrics, and started making their garments.  Knowing that it will be a flash sale should inform their design and fabrics.

Poor Shavi - he got the wrong fabric and it just kept going from bad to worse.

I liked Marquis and Brittany's designs a lot.  

• Love 18