Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E06: There Is Only One You

• Start Topic

In this week’s challenge, the designers are given a chance to think about their family history and channel those stories and emotions into a look of their choosing. The stakes are high in this one day challenge, as the designers need to face and embrace who they are in order to succeed. Luckily for the designers, there’s a surprise early on that will help boost their chances for success in this Flash Sale Challenge!

Original air date: 1/16/20

7 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Ummm, hi guest judge. /shallow

Pre-runway, I’d guess the featured ladies are ok and the featured guys are not.

Did Karlie think it was still an 80’s challenge with that blue eyeshadow?

Post-runway, you have to be right. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I've got nothing on this one because I thought the one with the white hat and the one with the patchwork were going to be top two and they were just safe. 

I love this! It reminded me of the challenge, I think from last season, when the designers had to design "street wear" and one of the guests was Dapper Dan. This look would have won that challenge. 

• Love 21

I seriously would have quit the season if Delvin had gone home.

Sergio, girl take some acting lessons before you try to win with the tears.

Brittany is right. They are obsessed with Victoria and I, on a very shallow note, think it's because she looks the part.

Loved the winning look.

One question though. Had the Korean look won, would it be 'cultural appropriation'?

• Love 19

Awww I’m sorry Shavi was eliminated. He seemed genuinely sweet. It just wasn’t his challenge. You made your grandmother proud.

I was anxious about Delvin. He’s usually so confident about his work. I’m a little surprised he was never told that his Father was half Mexican until that phone call. Glad he was safe and free to be Dr. Couture again!

• Love 21

Poor Shavi, I liked him. Maybe if they would give the designers more than one day for these challenges they could show better constructed garments. 

I knew Chelsea would win, that jacket will definitely sell in a flash sale. And it was cute too. Glad someone else won other than ‘I feel guilty for winning’ Victoria. I liked Dayoung’s jacket too. These two really got the challenge. 

I like how kind Nancy is to all the designers, she’s like the caring Mom of the group. 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

One question though. Had the Korean look won, would it be 'cultural appropriation'?

No, because Dayoung is Korean. If another designer had created it despite having no connection at all to Asian culture, I suppose one could make that argument. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

Definitely classy exit. You will be missed.

Devin might have been safe if he had done the dressmakers marks on the entire corset and maybe an elaborate ballgown skirt.

Sergio no words.  Don't those fancy machines do embroidery?  The odds the Christian would save him are nil unless production leans on him.

• Love 15

Brittany sure seems to think she’s amazing. But, nope.

Sergio last week was all about the “40 something women” he designs for. But wait, now he’s a designer out to enlighten the mindless masses with cheap model labor and some bs story.

Does Victoria have compromising photos of the judges? Or is she the new Anya or Wretchen? I don’t get it. 

Once again, it came down to fabric choice. Wrong man went home. Sergio should have gone for that mess.

I loved Chelsea’s design. Make that customizable and even I’d buy it

• Love 18

Color me ignorant because I don't think Victoria's outfit was bottom three, no less top three.  It was ugly but apparently the judges love her.

I loved Sergio's message but unfortunately that dress was ugly.  He really needs a reality check.

I really liked Nancy's and Marques's looks and Dayoung's looks along with Chelsay.  My spelling is probably all screwed up.

IMO this was a very difficult challenge.   I come from different heritages along with American and would find it very difficult to pick one and picking multiples would turn out a mess.

Edited by breezy424
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

This is ridiculous with these judges. Victoria can do no wrong in their eyes. I don’t get it. 

Totally agree, but if this had been a different challenge (something futuristic, maybe), it would have been by far my favorite look from her. Her usual (ruffled skirt + fucked up jacket + surprise! cutouts) shtick is what I really, severely don't get. 

53 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I've got nothing on this one because I thought the one with the white hat and the one with the patchwork were going to be top two and they were just safe. 

Brittany (white hat) screwed herself over with the super literal "country girl" styling imo. 

33 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I absolutely hated the winning look, with the huge initials and name on the back. Who's going to buy that? 

Presumably, they'll tone down those details for the flash sale version. I like Chesley though, so I'm okay with her win. (Even though I personally despise that "volume and proportion," or as I call it, "f'ing circus tent." #getoffmylawn) 

30 minutes ago, charming said:

Oh man I’m so relieved to know I wasn’t the only one who thought Sergio was fake crying on stage. I thought for sure I was going to hell alone. Ha.

I'm torn on this. He's definitely the guy who *would* bring the tears (and the super drama political statement) to save himself. But he's also so far up his own ass, he looks out through his mouth. So who knows? 

Very, very glad Delvin didn't get the boot this week. He's pretty, he brings the (mostly accurate) shade every week, and I absolutely love the couture lab coat. He can stay. 

• Love 13

It looks like Project Runway will not give Sergio the career boost that he doesn’t need anyway. 🙄 

I typically like Victoria’s work, but that  blue alien pantsuit was ugly and she did not meet the spirit of the challenge. Marquise and Nancy had much better designs. 

• Love 12
52 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

That blue stretchy space suit that Victoria designed was odd and unwearable. Yes, it fit her model well but who would ever, ever wear that.

Apparently, the ladies of Moldova, lol.  I also found it interesting when she explicitly said that she chose the color (early in the challenge) because it was one that was favored by Moldovans, but she then backtracked and said "No" when the judges asked her if the color had anything to do with her heritage.  Maybe there was a miscommunication, but that seemed a little sketchy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
44 minutes ago, nb360 said:

Also, when Christian asked how he was able to embroider so fast, Sergio did not acknowledge the work the models did to help him out (or at least that wasn't shown).

I actually wondered about that.  I'm all about the Sergio shade, he seems like he would be a pill to be around, but the conversation with Christian was a little abrupt.  Christian asked how he got the embroidery done so quickly and then Sergio is shown saying basically "You do what you have to do to get it done".  It seems like there's a real possibility that he said he had the models do it, Christian questioned that and then he gave the shown response.  There are 3 possibilities:

1) The conversation happened as shown

2) Production is as annoyed by him as the audience and gave him a bad edit

3) The narrative calls for him to be a villian and they gave him a bad edit

Of course, based on what we've seen of him, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, leocadia said:

Apparently, the ladies of Moldova, lol.  I also found it interesting when she explicitly said that she chose the color (early in the challenge) because it was one that was favored by Moldovans, but she then backtracked and said "No" when the judges asked her if the color had anything to do with her heritage.  Maybe there was a miscommunication, but that seemed a little sketchy.

Thank you, I thought maybe I had imagined that she said that the blue was popular in Moldova earlier in the episode. It Seemed like the only acceptable reason to use that color.

I loved Chelsey's and would happily wear it, but Nancy deserved to be top three. 

• Love 10

I love that Shavi apologized to his model that he was making her not look good on tv. He will be missed.

When Sergio talked about embroidering the children’s names on his dress, I thought of the movie, Phantom Threads. I swear  Daniel Day-Lewis’s character embroidered the names of women in the dresses that he designed.

I was super happy with the top two outfits, and would have been happy with whomever won. Conversely, I was super unhappy with the bottom two and didn’t want either to leave. 

• Love 15

I liked Dayoung (sp?) but thought it was safe. I liked what Nancy,  Marquise (?), and Brittany, as well as what Chesley did.  I thought any of those three could/should be at the top.

I'm sorry I really did not like Sergio 's. It did not seem to relate to the challenge. He took a current event and fit it to his narrative as an immigrant (I say this as a Hispanic who is outraged by the treatment of the families at the border).   I know I'm being judgemental but I thought he was a bit of a phony about it.  I guess the style of the dress could be related but it was IMO not well done .  

I did not like Victoria 's. I thought it should just be safe. I couldn't believe that the judges were gaga over it. 

• Love 22

Victoria's looked exactly the same as everything else she's done - the weird one arm cut out thing in every design. I'm over it.

I'm ticked Nancy is always safe - her looks always catch my eye. I loved Daeyoung's jacket/shirt so much.

Edited by threebluestars
  • Love 23

Some of the designers have such terrible personal style, I would never have them design for me:

Brittany and her potato sack dress the first day;

Delvin and his pretentious lab coat;

And worst of all, Jeffrey's ridiculous backwards leather man bra and his awful jewelry.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Before the judging, before I forget, I just want to say that Da'Young and Nancy's outfits were my favourites.  I thought Da'Young's was just beautiful, and I got really angry when that judge said something bitchy about it as it walked.  I thought Nancy's was actually really cool and stylish.  The top was just a nothing top, but the jacket and pants were a great idea.  Maybe it evoked fall fashion of the 90s or something I really like from my youth.

I just really like Da'Young.  Her happiness over Chelsea winning was so sweet.

I felt bad for Marquise because I could definitely see the quality of his garment but he received no critique.

Do you notice that many designers got a model that somewhat resembled them - but Shavi and Victoria didn't?   Shavi could have had Victoria's model.  Instead, Victoria gets this 6 feet tall goddess with absolutely zero body fat…… hmmmmm.

I like how I'm seeing more of Geoffrey's personality, and I'm liking it more and more.

edited now that I've seen the judging.  Well that fucking sucks.  Shavi had the best outfit last week, and now he's gone.  What a sweet man.  He was so damn loveable.  The fact that he was so emotional and neurotic that it only tripped him up in this contest just endeared him even more to me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

Da'Young is Korean.

2 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I loved Nancy's design.   She should have at least been in the top three.   How could the blue thing have been chosen over this??   Well, at least Nancy was safe and Victoria didn't win.   Small victories.

Hey!  I agree.

• Love 6