Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

I assumed that they would show another episode tonight and had been looking forward to it.  I finally realized that it's on a break until Tuesday.  Sigh.  Have been enjoying it so much!  I do hope Brad wins at least one set.  And, wow, I find the questions much harder.  Even so, when I correctly answer a question I am absurdly pleased with myself.

Although very entertaining, I am saddened at times when watching Alex.

Anyone else still remember Art Fleming?

• Love 11
8 hours ago, driver18 said:

I got half the first FJ and the second one I got right (I guess I just know my American history even better than I thought... the Whigs are well-known, but the Democrat Republicans are mentioned in Hamilton (the musical); I figured those are better known now too, LOL!).

As a Hamilton fan, I used the entire term: “Southern Motherf*cking Democratic Republicans!”

• LOL 10
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, nuraman00 said:

I too should have gotten chevre if I would have had more time, to think about the other name for the thing I get on pizza sometimes.  I knew I had seen the alternate name for goat cheese several times.

Chevre is pretty easy if you know goat meat is chevon. When I was cooking up chevon burger for dogs' meals, I had the nerve to taste it, and it was delicious. I just didn't feel right about eating a living being I'd known by name. Chevre is also delicious and tastes like ... cheese.

I caught Ken's imitation of James' smile, and yes, it was spot on and hee-larious. There must be a clip/video/gif of it somewhere out there.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Anyone else still remember Art Fleming?

I think everyone knows this but how ironic.....

Fleming died of pancreatic cancer on April 25, 1995, just two weeks after he was diagnosed.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

They always accept just  the last name unless there are other possible answers with the same name. For example they would accept Obama but not Bush, unless it was a question where it could only be one of them. It’s not just James. Some contestants do say first and last names but most don’t.

Not even if there are other possible answers. They just had a clue on the regular show about the vice president in 1865 and accepted Johnson as an answer. I was thinking, huh, who knew Lyndon B Johnson was so old? 🙄 There have been three vice presidents named Johnson.

• Love 5

You know what’s sad? When you rewatch it the next day on Hulu with a family member who missed it, and STILL don’t know most of the answers. 

but in my defense, I did know keyloggers, bring your own device, and Morticia 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, dcalley said:

I missed this, unless you're referring to Ken's Rod Serling impression (The Twilight Zone creator/presenter).

Toward the end of the game I can’t remember what Ken was referring to, but he said “I can smile like James too” and did this horrifying Joker smile.  It was funny but Alex and James were laughing about something and it went by without comment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 1/10/2020 at 8:10 AM, Conotocarious said:

I got the first final jeopardy and half of the second. Alfonso Cuaron is my favorite director.

I got him too but honestly I think it's because of Screen Junkies I knew he didn't win for Roma.

11 hours ago, Jesse said:

I figure none of them got BYOD because none of them has had an office job in the last 10 years!

Good point!  I actually knew it because of some school district policies, though.

I just reasoned through BYOD.  BYO is always "bring your own", so it was simply a matter of figuring out what the D could stand for.  Device made the most sense.  I can't believe none of these three could figure it out in the time allotted.  OTOH, it made me feel smart for two seconds.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, mtlchick said:

James' Twitter feed had me choking on my tongue, thanks to these two:

Maybe I'm just old, but I found both posts to be rude and in poor taste. I've never liked bullies or blow hards. That might explain why Ken and Brad have been filmed together multiple times by TMZ whereas James is nowhere in sight. I wouldn't hang with him either.

"Hey James, the Jerk Store called, they are all out of you."

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I just reasoned through BYOD.  BYO is always "bring your own", so it was simply a matter of figuring out what the D could stand for.  Device made the most sense.  I can't believe none of these three could figure it out in the time allotted.  OTOH, it made me feel smart for two seconds.

Same here - every word of this.

• Love 1

Yes, I remember Art Fleming..Jeopardy was on at noon when I was a kid in the 1960s. Sometimes I watched part of it when I came home for lunch from school. (In NY, we had the option to go home for lunch.) The Jeopardy board had cards that were pulled up to reveal the answer. No computers back then.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But that's always been his schtick - act like you don't know & wait til the last second.

Funny, because I always think of that as Ken's schtick. Then look absurdly shocked that he got it right. He does it way too often for me to find it believable. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Funny, because I always think of that as Ken's schtick. Then look absurdly shocked that he got it right. He does it way to often for me to find it believable. 

You said exactly the same thing as my sister.

I wasn't watching tv during Ken's run - or Brad's - so my opinions are fresher than some, and of the three I feel I know James the best.

IMO, Ken stalls more than anyone on DDs. As a general rule, James is superquick to respond (as is Ken on regular clues) and way quicker than either Ken or Brad on picking the next clue. Ken's (at times) "ummmm" is my personal grrr. Get thee to Toastmasters pronto!

Personally, I doubt they stall on purpose, unless they're attention-ho's. I think they're just like us... I know this I know this I know this dammmmmmit... @#$%&*... followed by blurting out the answer at the last second.

31 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Yes, I remember Art Fleming..Jeopardy was on at noon when I was a kid in the 1960s. Sometimes I watched part of it when I came home for lunch from school. (In NY, we had the option to go home for lunch.) The Jeopardy board had cards that were pulled up to reveal the answer. No computers back then.

Thanks for putting my memories into words!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I keep getting reminded of Linda Ellerbee writing about meeting Hunter S Thompson, where she said HST apparently thought she hadn't encountered an asshole before, and would be impressed.

My phone's text notification is the Addams Family klaxon and Morticia saying "Mail's In!" 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I don't care many people I admire rave about Hunter Thompson. I will NEVER forgive him for killing himself in the kitchen with his GRANDSON in the house.  He had all this acreage in Aspen, and leaves a mess inside for somebody to clean up. I can understand him wanting to off himself, but the time & place was totally wrong.

Assholes abound.

• Love 4

Finished catching up on Hulu.  Normally I'm pretty good but they are smoking through the questions so fast that I have trouble keeping up.  Twice I would have sworn Ken didn't say "Who is..." before answers.

The ring in and think strategy has been used by a lot of contestants.  It's not a bad idea if you know you know it, but can't find the answer immediately.

James reminds me of someone who annoys me, so it's hard for me to be objective about him and his performance.  I do hope Brad wins a game or two.  I think James and Ken are more general in their knowledge and Brad is deep in specific categories.

ETA: on the theory of Brad as a possible future host, I could see that.  He has a 20 year relationship with the show and the viewers.  Alex is such an institution that it would be difficult to seem someone random standing in his place.  Best wishes to him.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 4

As I read comments about James, Ken and Brad, I wonder what it is in our nature that drives us to cheer on a particular contestant. For several years, I've chosen to not invest in any one person(s); however, I love to cheer someone on! e.g., when James was on in regular season, I looked forward to seeing him blaze through the boards and the long-time records.

This tournament is a joy to watch - admirable skills, camaraderie, spontaneity, Alex's smile (OK Boomer), and some truly exciting wagering and competition. I hope it goes 7 nights and I don't give a rat's ass care who wins. I think they're all the greatest. ONE of them is going to be the luckiest, probably find the most DDs and wager accordingly to "win".

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Bliss said:

Personally, I doubt they stall on purpose, unless they're attention-ho's. I think they're just like us... I know this I know this I know this dammmmmmit... @#$%&*... followed by blurting out the answer at the last second.

18 hours ago, floridamom said:

Thanks for putting my memories into words!

My feeling with Ken, starting with his original run, is that he knows that the key to winning on Jeopardy is to win with the buzzer.  Even if he doesn't know the answer instantly, if he has a vague idea floating around, he buzzes and then gives himself a couple of seconds to formulate the correct the response.  Kind of like a slow server.  😉   James, otoh, has that eidetic memory and an ability to instantly formulate most answers.   

And I get irritated sometimes when people blurt out the wrong answer on a Double Jeopardy, instead of taking a moment to think.  Of course, thinking too much can be a bad strategy too.  I base this on my own struggle with some Finals. 

My parents loved quiz shows, but my biggest memory of Art Fleming is at my grandparents house.  My grandfather also came home for lunch, and although I know I saw Jeopardy in the 60s, my biggest memory is of him watching Concentration, another Fleming show. 

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Thalia said:

my biggest memory is of him watching Concentration, another Fleming show. 

Also a revival eventually hosted by Alex Trebek  ("Classic Concentration")

• Love 9

Out of curiosity, i went through the first game of the first match and figured out that if Brad had gotten his 2 DD right, with no other changes in the game (not even increasing his second DD bet), he would have ended the game with $26,400.  Those lost DD really changed the game.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Out of curiosity, i went through the first game of the first match and figured out that if Brad had gotten his 2 DD right, with no other changes in the game (not even increasing his second DD bet), he would have ended the game with $26,400.  Those lost DD really changed the game.

GFY! 🙂

I believe James has had quite an influence on both Ken and Brad re their wagering strategy, Both of them are betting "all in" on DDs, which is quite a change from their regular play. (Can't remember exactly; however, I believe every single DD so far has been an "all in" bet.) Obviously, when they answer correctly, it's the best strategy!

If I had time, I'd go through the games, change their bets to what they normally bet, and see what the end results would be.

Wondering what those results would be if Ken had only bet his usual low$ wagers. Do you think he's feeling gratitude to James for the competitive pressure to ramp up his game? It's pretty obvious both he and Brad are ecstatic when they keep James from getting the DDs.

Since all 3 men are so brilliant, so much of this tournament's win will depend on pure luck - who finds the DDs, how much they wager, and whether they question them correctly.

• Love 4
On 1/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, saber5055 said:

Maybe I'm just old, but I found both posts to be rude and in poor taste. I've never liked bullies or blow hards. That might explain why Ken and Brad have been filmed together multiple times by TMZ whereas James is nowhere in sight. I wouldn't hang with him either.

I don't know, they all seem to be friendly enough with one another, as well as quick with the jibes. And IMO, the first tweet was kind of a low blow, but the second one just seemed to be expressing good-natured jealousy that Brad was getting all those Daily Doubles (so not particularly rude/ in poor taste).

I took a quick look at all three of their Twitters, and my favorite post had to be James taking a "Which Jeopardy Greatest of All Time Contestant Are You?" quiz... and he got Ken! :)

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I took a quick look at all three of their Twitters, and my favorite post had to be James taking a "Which Jeopardy Greatest of All Time Contestant Are You?" quiz... and he got Ken! 🙂

Lol, I'm James...

You got: You're James Holzhauer!

You're a risk-taker whose motto seems to be "Go big or go home" (aka "all the chips"). Luckily, the vast majority of your risks take off in a massive way (as in, 16 single-day earnings records), so it's mostly just "go big."

Not quite.

(The quiz in question, if you wanna play.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't know, they all seem to be friendly enough with one another, as well as quick with the jibes. And IMO, the first tweet was kind of a low blow, but the second one just seemed to be expressing good-natured jealousy that Brad was getting all those Daily Doubles (so not particularly rude/ in poor taste).

I took a quick look at all three of their Twitters, and my favorite post had to be James taking a "Which Jeopardy Greatest of All Time Contestant Are You?" quiz... and he got Ken! 🙂

Agree with your post, They each have a quirky sense of sarcastic wit, and even their tweets and comments smack of intelligence. I enjoy their banter and range of (sometimes self-deprecating) tweets. I notice there's an underlying respect between them (fist pumps when they find a DD) that is probably the foundation of their camaraderie. Honor-among-smartasses sort of friendship. I say that with much adoration.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think part of it is that Ken and Brad have known each other for over a decade, and James is definitely the new kid on the block.  He said something about that in the first game, I think it was, but with the suggestion he might be comfortable on the stage. While that may be true in actual game play, socially, he's not part of their friendship at the same level.  Sometimes I think he's almost trying too hard to fit in with them, and I think sometimes their comfort with each other (and with Alex) unintentionally leaves him out.  

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Lol, I'm James...

You got: You're James Holzhauer!

You're a risk-taker whose motto seems to be "Go big or go home" (aka "all the chips"). Luckily, the vast majority of your risks take off in a massive way (as in, 16 single-day earnings records), so it's mostly just "go big."

Not quite.

(The quiz in question, if you wanna play.

Guess I'll buy a lottery ticket this week!

You got: You're Brad Rutter!

As a competitor, you're pretty much invincible — you keep your cool in high-pressure situations and you consistently win big. (Like, $4.7 million big…)

• Love 3
On 1/10/2020 at 10:41 PM, mtlchick said:

James' Twitter feed had me choking on my tongue, thanks to these two:

I liked the second tweet, and I'll confess to having thought of the first tweet before that. However coming from James, that seemed like a cheap shot. 

• Love 3
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 5:32 PM, nuraman00 said:

They know more than me about everything else, but I thought these things were common knowledge, with all of the awareness measures that are out there about cyber security.

Not to those of us who aren't that tech savvy; I've never heard of either term.  However, I would expect these guys to know them.  Being great Jeopardy champions and all.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 5:53 PM, Madding crowd said:

But I was responding to the poster that said only James has been allowed to use only last names and this is not true.

Oh, okay.  I didn't necessarily take the original comment quite that way, but yeah, it's not just James.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:21 PM, suebee12 said:

Fleming died of pancreatic cancer on April 25, 1995, just two weeks after he was diagnosed.

Pancreatic cancer is a real bitch that way.  My grandmother also died only 2 weeks after being diagnosed.  They really need to develop a test which diagnoses it earlier, but the early symptoms are really vague and can be any number of benign illnesses which makes it extremely hard to catch while it's treatable.

Edited by proserpina65
edited for better clarity
  • Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:44 PM, saber5055 said:

Past contestants have reported they have been told last names only are okay. If more is required, they get a BMS. Simple as that.

Except that they don't always get a "be more specific" when one is called for, and sometimes do get one when one isn't called for.  As in the examples from my previous post.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:12 PM, Jesse said:

I figure none of them got BYOD because none of them has had an office job in the last 10 years!

Makes sense, lol.  (Although I've had an office job for the last 13 years, and I've never heard it.)

• Love 1