Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Lol, I'm James...

You got: You're James Holzhauer!

You're a risk-taker whose motto seems to be "Go big or go home" (aka "all the chips"). Luckily, the vast majority of your risks take off in a massive way (as in, 16 single-day earnings records), so it's mostly just "go big."

Not quite.

(The quiz in question, if you wanna play.

Okay, I've tried about 5 different combinations of answers which are at least close to being right for me, and I've gotten Ken Jennings every time.  So I must actually be Ken.  What do I have to answer to get Brad?!?!?!  (Okay, so I did it again, chose things which mostly aren't me, and got Brad.  I think it was Hollywood Game Night which did it, lol.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Just had another far-out fan flash... what with the Oscar nominations being posted today, I'd love to see James, Ken and Brad as presenters (foreign short maybe?) - maybe that would get James into a tux!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I noticed during my re-watch last night, that one time Brad did not go all in.

Do you remember what the circumstances were? Perhaps a FJ?

I don't think it was a DD because from my recollection, every single one has been a "true daily double". Andy (from thejeopardyfan) has the same stats. 18 DDs at max bet. Quoting his site, "All 18 Daily Doubles have had the maximum amount bet on them this tournament."

My point was simply that James has had an effect on Ken and Brad - neither one of them used to bet "all in" in the past. They've had to rethink their betting strategy; sometimes it works (Ken) and sometimes it doesn't (Brad).

4 hours ago, Bliss said:

I don't think it was a DD because from my recollection, every single one has been a "true daily double". Andy (from thejeopardyfan) has the same stats. 18 DDs at max bet. Quoting his site, "All 18 Daily Doubles have had the maximum amount bet on them this tournament."

Two DD's in the J! round have been for the [J! round] max of $1,000 when the contestants had less than that ($800 both times). http://www.j-archive.com/ddstats.php?season=goattournament at the bottom shows them all.

ETA: And for one DD Brad found in a DJ! round when he only had $1,000, he bet the max of $2,000. The rest of the DD bets have been for 100% of what the bettor had.

Edited by dcalley

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  Why did my DVR pick tonight to die???????  I am getting a "hard drive failure" message, and it also seems not to be able to acquire a signal!  No watching any TV of any kind for me tonight!  And I'm going to the movies tonight, so was counting on being able to record both the regular game and the Greatest of All Time game!  AUGH!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  Why did my DVR pick tonight to die???????

Never fear! The tourney is posted on the ABC site:

https://abc.com/shows/jeopardy-the-greatest-of-all-time

My tv has the show scheduled through Friday night, which makes me very stressed about who is winning what.

Regular games are posted a day or so later by my friend, former President Eisenhower.

www.dailymotion.com/President_Eisenhower

p.s. What movie?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Never fear! The tourney is posted on the ABC site:

https://abc.com/shows/jeopardy-the-greatest-of-all-time

My tv has the show scheduled through Friday night, which makes me very stressed about who is winning what.

Regular games are posted a day or so later by my friend, former President Eisenhower.

www.dailymotion.com/President_Eisenhower

p.s. What movie?

Whew!  And I can read the clues from the regular episode on the archive, but this is super annoying.

The movie's called Dark Waters, and has Mark Ruffalo as a corporate defense attorney who takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company.  Sort of Erin Brockovich-ish, I think, but Ruffalo's character starts out at least on the side of the business.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

The movie's called Dark Waters, and has Mark Ruffalo as a corporate defense attorney who takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company.  Sort of Erin Brockovich-ish, I think, but Ruffalo's character starts out at least on the side of the business.

It has gotten great reviews. I listen to several hours of movie reviews/recaps every week. I won't say more, but my guess is you will enjoy it. I've not heard any negs about it. Have fun!

And pick up a new DVR on your way home.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Don't freak out just yet! It's probably like "World Series, game six (if necessary)"---that is, they are reserving the spot "just in case". If it's not necessary, regular programming will air. Personally, I do not want a "game six"---that would air opposite a new "Supernatural" and, sorry K, B, & J, that is my priority.

• Love 2

Thanks for your insight @illdoc. These extra games weren't scheduled before, so I hope you are correct, to keep us guessing. Or in my case, depressed! And I agree that the last season of the Winchester boys is muy important. There are such things as priorities!

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Don't freak out just yet! It's probably like "World Series, game six (if necessary)"---that is, they are reserving the spot "just in case". If it's not necessary, regular programming will air. Personally, I do not want a "game six"---that would air opposite a new "Supernatural" and, sorry K, B, & J, that is my priority.

TV Guide doesn't have it listed past tonight. I'm pretty sure they had placeholder listings for the rest of the week when I looked last weekend (before the whole thing started). Don't know if that means anything.

I got Aspen and they all missed it! I felt smart for three whole seconds!

"Hey, Brad's score's still on there." Ouch.

Poor Brad. I hoped he'd at least get one.

Congrats, Ken!

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 8

I was baffled at how easy that Final Jeopardy question was, and then James got it wrong, which is too bad, because if he'd been right he'd have won and we could have had more episodes.  Such a great series.

Congratulations to Ken, who was able to adjust to James' more aggressive style of play and make it work for him.

• Love 14

Well. So much for my visualization of a 7 night tournament.

I need to drink some razzle dazzle (Cdn joke, thanks to Ryan Reynolds) to compensate for my sadness that this is over. Bah humbug.

Thanks for the games and the tweets, goats!

• Love 6

I guess I was subconsciously rooting for Ken, because I was holding my breath during the final FJ and mad that he hadn't wagered anything and then relieved (and surprised) that James missed it because believe it or not, I got it right.

I also got the TSs of Aspen, a fate worse than death and Lawrence Welk.  My crazy grandmother was a big fan.

during one of the rounds I was convinced the only answer I was going to get was favela, but I got a few more after that.  And, I was also very impressed with myself for getting chad.  I'm not known for my geographical prowess.

• Love 4

Woo hoo!  Heh now I can say I was beaten by the greatest of all time! 

I thought FJ in game 2 was easy.  I’m surprised James missed it. I was sad that there were no Airplane! questions in the Roger Murdock...Kareem category. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 12

I bet James is kicking himself. It's rare for him to miss a FJ, and he tends to be decent at Shakespeare. Congrats for Ken though. He adapted his play quite well and was able to pull it off, unlike poor Brad. I really did want them all to win a match because they're all deserving, but Brad was just not having a good run this time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

So thrilled for Ken!  I like all three but was pulling for him to win GOAT.   I thought the Roman numerals to names category was hard — again, they were answering while I was still deciphering the question.  Fun fun fun tournament.

• Love 4

I don't know if it was just me, but those little conversations that Alex had with James, Brad and Ken in the first game (how had their lives changed since their respective individual runs/what was happening now?) sounded very final and a lot like a goodbye-type of conversation. Is Alex stepping down soon?

1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Brad's one of us! He says "Aaron Burr" like he's got peanut butter stuck in his mouth, too!!  I loved that and literally did laugh out loud.

Me, too!

• Love 5

This whole thing was so much more fun than I anticipated when I first heard about it that I am sorry that it's ending.  But congrats to Ken.  They all seemed to have a wonderful time.  Brad kept his sense of humor even when things weren't going his way ( me three for laughing out loud for Aaron Burr) and special thanks to James for correctly answering the Detroit clue.  

Edited by Grundoon59
Posted before I finished my thought.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Ignorance can be advantageous, I suppose - I'm terribly weak on Shakespeare, so I just threw out the first non-title character who came to mind...and was right. (I also recall James's first run ended when he didn't bet big enough on a Shakespeare FJ. Just not his lucky category, apparently!)

Would have liked to watch more episodes, but a great win for Ken, congrats.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I really hope this isn’t the last time these three compete. I don’t know under what premise they could get them together, but with the strong ratings, I’m sure they’ll think of something. Although it will more than likely not include Alex.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know if it was just me, but those little conversations that Alex had with James, Brad and Ken in the first game (how had their lives changed since their respective individual runs/what was happening now?) sounded very final and a lot like a goodbye-type of conversation. Is Alex stepping down soon?

I don't know about soon, but it definitely feels that it will be the last time they will share the Jeopardy stage with him (though the did do press together last week) and it feels Brad will be the one that will miss him the most. 

I'm delighted that Ken won. I got very few and continue to marvel at the wide variety of knowledge these fellows have and the speed of their responses (while I'm still sitting here saying, "Hmmm, now that could be..." When James made that crack about Brad's 0 score, I burst out laughing. So wonderful that this tournament was held with AT still in charge. He really got a kick out of these 3 champions which was fun to see.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Yay, Ken!! 

I was never a fan of James, and this tourney didn't change my mind about that. His comment about Brad's score still showing didn't come across like playful banter, but rather mean-spirited.

I also wish this had gone longer, but I'm delighted that "old man" Ken could prevail over the younger, gutsier James.

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought FJ in game 2 was easy.  I’m surprised James missed it.

I think maybe he missed it because it was too easy.  He didn't think that could possibly be the answer.  I thought that but couldn't come up with anything else, so I kept it and was glad I did.

3 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Yay, Ken!! 

I was never a fan of James, and this tourney didn't change my mind about that. His comment about Brad's score still showing didn't come across like playful banter, but rather mean-spirited.

I thought that too.  

I got Lawrence Welk.  My Mom was young when he was starting out.  Mom got to go hear/see him & his band in some of the Midwest (Kansas, Nebraska) dance halls.  She and Dad always watched his TV show.

Happy Ken won, sad it’s over.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Brad's one of us! He says "Aaron Burr" like he's got peanut butter stuck in his mouth, too!!  I loved that and literally did laugh out loud.

Me (whatever number we're on.) I once tried explaining to someone why that commercial was funny. You either get it or you don't. 

I know it couldn't have happened, but I sure wish someone would have said, "another round?"

Somewhat surprised at how much of a runaway this was. (Given the matchup, I wouldn't have been shocked if it went 6 or even the full 7 games.) Curious if James (and Brad) did much worse than their respective runs or if Ken is just that much better than them. 

Was Brad imitating Sean Connery in calling out that Trebek category, a la SNL? If so, that. is. awesome. 

Alex Trebek is a treasure. His gentle reminders when one of the contestants is running out of time in a DD, his quips (something about where this game has gone in response to James' comment about Brad's score), and unflappable demeanor are way more difficult to master than he makes it look. (It was only the past few weeks watching Vanna on WoF that I realized how easy Pat Sajak made it look - and no disrespect to Vanna at all for stepping in with nearly no notice.)

• Love 12

At least my rooting night wasn’t a total bust (dumb college basketball road games).  Yay for Ken!

James was such a jerky jerk to Brad that his answer of Horatio was delicious.  Also James was huffing and puffing like a disgruntled toddler and it was just a bad look for him all around.  

• Love 18

So much for my prediction about James winning out from Day 1.

Ken played well and deserved to win. (That's the last nice thing I'll ever say about him.)

I have to call out the NY Post, however, they've been posting spoilers for days now in their sidebar articles with titles like, "Jeopardy GOAT Ken Jennings reveals..." I kept hoping against hope that the reference was to a generic "Ken Jennings GOAT Tournament Contestant", but they haven't posted a single Brad Rutter or James fluff article like that with GOAT in the article title. So it was a daily spoiler for a few days. Jeopardy!, Sony, and ABC should sue them.

OK. one more time... Congratulations to Ken Jennings, who on Jeopardy!, is the Greatest of All Time.

Now get out, Ken, you pompous bag of pus.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

That was fun!

Not that I enjoy seeing James lose or anything. Hahahahahahaha!  

Anyway.....

I attempted to keep score tonight, dayum these fellas are fast, and ended up with a total of 25 correct answers, for the two games. Not sure if I should be proud or horrified.

I managed to not get a single FJ correct. GFM!

Ken--congrats on the win.

Brad--that was a lovely response on the last FJ.

James--never darken my tv screen again. Please and thank you.

I really hope they don't come up with some other tournament for these three. I thought this was a perfect wrap-up for all three of them.

• Love 17

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this tournament! So sad it's over. I confess I adore James -- his knowledge and speed amaze me and he makes me laugh -- but I admire the ability of all three so much that I would have been genuinely happy for any of them to claim the title. Alex was in top form, and that made this the Greatest Of All Tournaments.

• Love 10

I enjoyed the tournament so much.  I really didn't care who won, because I figured that whoever won deserved to win.  I would have liked it if it had taken a few more games for someone to win, but I guess Ken was just too good.  I was very surprised, though, that Brad wasn't a factor at all.  I felt bad for him, but I guess he's crying all the way to the bank.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I like James, but yeah - both there and the "ha-ha" on day 1, I laughed but then felt bad, because picking on the underdog just feels wrong.

1 hour ago, kazza said:

Curious if James (and Brad) did much worse than their respective runs or if Ken is just that much better than them.

Especially in this tourney, the buzzer was a huge factor; I'm sure all three of them could have answered the majority of the clues, but Ken had the timing down.

14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

No, even if he had gotten it right, his total would have been 88,000. Ken's total was 88,600 with betting 0 on the second FJ.

I don't remember for sure, but I thought 44k was his total for the second round only? In which case adding 88 to his round 1 score would've done it.

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I thought that too.  

I got Lawrence Welk.  My Mom was young when he was starting out.  Mom got to go hear/see him & his band in some of the Midwest (Kansas, Nebraska) dance halls.  She and Dad always watched his TV show.

Happy Ken won, sad it’s over.

I kept saying, "L.a.w.r.e.n.c.e. W.e.l.k." (heh heh)  These guys are waaaay too young.  My parents enjoyed watching his show (they adored the accordionist because he was Scandinavian). I can still hear that bouncy theme song and Welk's "...and a one and a two..."

It's probably a good thing for me that the tournament is over because I was worn out from trying so hard to think of the answers and then, being intimidated with the speed of their mostly correct responses. How do people retain all that information and pull it up at such a quick pace?  I laughed when James did the bowing thing to Ken after he took a huge risk on a DD and came up with the correct (tough!) answer.  Yes, indeed...James was acting strangely toward the end.

• Love 4