Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

Great games! Happy with Ken’s winning the the first set tonight.  The three have a camaraderie that can’t be faked, and love seeing Alex up there doing so well.

Lots of correct answers, some I knew, others, well, no.

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

The before during and after and triple rhyme time. They were SO FAST on those.

Right?! That was crazy! I’m decent at wordplay but I was barely registering the clue and they were already spitting out the answers. 

• Love 21
59 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

It was impressive.  I got a few of the triple rhymes (pleasant pheasant present and a couple others) but whether I would have been able to spit out the answer coherently the way the contestants did is another question.  But the Before, During, and After - I was an order of magnitude behind these guys.  Still trying to process the clue when they already had the responses.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I love those types of clues and am very good at them, but trying to figure them out before these champs did was quite a challenge (I never once beat them, and I only said the answer semi-simultaneously three times; "Goodnight Moon Over Miami Dolphins" was my best, then pleasant pheasant present, and I can't even remember the third, and otherwise I was on word one as they finished answering) -- for them to be that much better under game conditions than I am at home is a prime example of what great players they are.  As is the fact I was frequently struggling to spit out my answer before the first one of them did.  I may need to switch from cocktails to wine until this is over, because I felt a bit overwhelmed tonight.

Team Brad for writing his name normally - and coming in, since the other two can annoy me, but only after extended exposure, which isn't an issue here - but with no real oomph behind it as these are little things; I just enjoyed the contestants' play and camaraderie and Alex's enjoyment.  Brad has dug himself quite a hole with those DD blunders, so I'm glad I'm not overly invested in his victory

Did we really - especially in this level of play - need the audio portion of the "recorder" clue?  (No, we did not, but it was fun to finally say an answer well before they did because they had to wait.)  The Guantanamo Bay clue in game one had no place in a DJ round, either.  Nor did the Raul Castro clue in game two.  Dolly Parton as a picture clue was unconscionable.  Overall, though, quite appropriate to the tournament.

My "I'm screwed" eye roll upon revelation of the first game's FJ category could be seen from space.  And, indeed, "I have no idea" was my first response.  And my final answer.  No surprise they all got it, though.

But I got the second FJ even though Brad didn't, so good for me.

Just two TS tonight, is that right?  It's as it should be at this level; contestants frequently talk about how any given clue can likely be answered by all of them, and it's just a matter of who rings in first or lands on the DD, so at this level I expect minimal clues that none of them can come up with in time.

Good for Ken winning a good game, but as a J! contestant who parlayed that into a writing career, did he really say, "Me and a friend decided to try out [for the show]"?!  Not just in real time, but in a package on which he had final cut?  Please tell me I had one drink too many and heard that wrong in his "about me" package in game two.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Good for Ken winning a good game, but as a J! contestant who parlayed that into a writing career, did he really say, "Me and a friend decided to try out [for the show]"?!  Not just in real time, but in a package on which he had final cut?  Please tell me I had one drink too many and heard that wrong in his "about me" package in game two.

I was surprised by that, too. He certainly knows that's not grammatically correct, so I figure he did that on purpose... for some reason... which I can't figure out.

Fun game. I was happy Ken won. He's my favorite, despite his "Me and a friend" bit. I was kinda shocked, though when he missed two answers that I of all people got right. 

I love wordplay, but I need time to figure out those Before, Middle, and After clues. Whew!

• Love 5

What was the point of throwing in presidential trivia with the first FJ clue? Were they trying to make this ridiculously easy answer seem harder than it really was?

I am cheering on James, but they were all really good.

After Ken said he had never won against Brad and he really, really wanted to win this one, I couldn't help but start rooting for him.  Still.  James is adorable, I loved his "Ha, ha!" about Philadelphia and his big, gracious grin when he realized he had lost to Ken.  Brad was just having a very off night.  I'm the one who told him wrong with Jean Paul Sartre, both of us had brain-block with that and I blame the clue's wording of, "two first names."

• Love 10

Brad really did make some boneheaded errors, and Ken had a couple of wild-ass guesses, too.  It’s also painfully obvious how uncomfortable they both are with betting everything on DD or FJ, but they both know they have to do it.  

Tonight will be interesting.

ETA: Go Ken!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 10

I had never really seen Brad in a tournament and I missed his first run so I was really eager to see the guy who has never been beaten by a human. He did not impress. Just one of those nights for him, I guess.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed seeing them compete. I don't know much about Brad as I do the other two but he seems nice. It was crazy to watch them get nothing wrong in the first round and barely anything wrong the rest of the game. I agree naming the three things was confusing. I would still be reading the clue when they were answering it. And I was glad to see Ken win :).

Edited by blueray
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, rubaco said:

I'm bummed that I'll have to miss part of tomorrow night's show due to an appointment.

I don't know about other providers, but unlike regular Jeopardy, my Comcast on-demand is offering the tournament episodes.

~

Loved the Nichelle Nichols question. I've been a Trekkie all my life, but actually just came across that particular story recently.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I could hardly read the clue or understand it and they were answering.  I don't know how they do that!

I really enjoyed watching them all play together.  

Edited by alexa
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, dcalley said:

Who Plutarch said slept with snakes, I think.

Hide contents

Olympias

Actually, I thought the real question was "Who was Alexander the Great's mom?"  

"This mother of Alexander the Great was in the cult of Dionysus & liked to sleep with snakes."

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Brad has dug himself quite a hole with those DD blunders, so I'm glad I'm not overly invested in his victory

Unless he lets it get to him psychologically, Brad is in the exact same spot as James--still needs to win 3 matches.  He's not in a hole for the next games, because they start new each day, so if he can shake it off, I'm hoping he can get back to his usual self, which involves being fact with the buzzer and the right answers.  He's usually a machine, and I hope he can do it again for the rest of this tournament.  No fun to beat him not at his best, and if Ken beats him it won't feel good if Brad isn't in fighting trim.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
38 minutes ago, Emma9 said:

Loved the Nichelle Nichols question. I've been a Trekkie all my life, but actually just came across that particular story recently.

Oddly enough, I instantly knew this because of Drunk History! 😄

• Love 5

I did not like hearing whom I had believed to had been the host of the program presenting what I had believed to had been a certain clue for one of its game involving a certain word I would describe as "profane" (its spelling was similar to this one: " witchin' ") and did not like the music for the final rounds of those games (I was hoping one of the final rounds would have a certain kind of music originally used for the final rounds of games for a TV program like this one ("Jeopardy!") in years past since I had expected it ("Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time!") to be what some folks might describe as a "special").

James getting shut out of all the Daily Doubles and therefore being unable to do that annoying "all in" gesture made me so happy.  I'm rooting for Ken, but I'm really Team Anybody But James.

I was delighted that two things I really love - Facts of Life and the Miami Dolphins lol - made it into the tournament all in one category, but I had zero chance of coming up with the answer to the other two parts of the clue as quickly as the guys did.  Really impressive play, especially from Ken and James. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

And that is why Ken is so great.   Games like that always make me feel a bit better about losing to him. 

I am surprised about Brad but maybe its just taking him a while to get back into the grove. 

• Love 10

I didn't understand james Philidelphia joke but I missed the first 5 minutes because I was taping ABC, where my regular show airs and here in Atlanta, this tournament is on N B C, which I don't understand at all. I just thought the guide was off and set my dvr to set at 8pm following the regular show. Can someone explain the Philidelphia dig/joke?

11 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I didn't understand james Philidelphia joke but I missed the first 5 minutes because I was taping ABC, where my regular show airs and here in Atlanta, this tournament is on N B C, which I don't understand at all. I just thought the guide was off and set my dvr to set at 8pm following the regular show. Can someone explain the Philidelphia dig/joke?

It's simply that Brad Rutter is from Pennsylvania.  You're sort of expected to get clues that are about your hometown or home state, so James beating Brad to that answer was a cause to celebrate (on a very small scale).

The tournament is indeed on ABC.  I don't know any reason why it might be shown on NBC in your area.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

As @MrAtoz said the tournament is on ABC.  Not sure if you did it backwards where your regular games are on NBC.  Jeopardy is syndicated, so not on a regular network, but whatever station cares to air the show.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Omg, I couldn’t “think” with that new music!

The Think music made me so anxious...

12 hours ago, Roaster said:

I am loving how hard these clues are!  That Before, During, and After category - I couldn't keep up with these contestants,

I got a couple partial and only one complete, and barely answered it at the same time as Ken (and I started answering before he did because I read faster than Alex can read the clue out loud). I expected the game to be harder than normal, but I did so badly. Glad I was watching by myself. 

1 hour ago, Emma9 said:

Star Talk Radio had a long interview (two-part episode) with her a few years ago (that's where I first heard her MLK story). Worth checking out if you haven't heard it.

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I don't understand this. I live in Decatur and watched the GOAT on Channel 2 (ABC), whereas the regular game is on channel 11 (NBC affilitate) and comes on after Wheel, which follows Lester Holt's NBC Nightly News.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I almost went blind reading this but I got the first third. It seemed like Alex enjoyed saying "bitchin' mixtape" and he deserves all the joy he can get!

Take advantage of that more lax Prime Time censorship!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm the one who told him wrong with Jean Paul Sartre, both of us had brain-block with that and I blame the clue's wording of, "two first names."

I misunderstood the clue and thought the person's name was like Boutros Boutros-Ghali. 

2 hours ago, Emma9 said:

Me, too.

1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

Oddly enough, I instantly knew this because of Drunk History! 😄

Maybe that's where I learned it!

1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

James getting shut out of all the Daily Doubles and therefore being unable to do that annoying "all in" gesture made me so happy.

Yes! I can't stand that gesture.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm the one who told him wrong with Jean Paul Sartre, both of us had brain-block with that and I blame the clue's wording of, "two first names."

I misunderstood the clue and thought the person's name was like Boutros Boutros-Ghali. 

LOL If I had been thinking in that direction I might have tossed out Mobutu Sese Seko whose name  tickled me so much I often called my dog that.

Those before-during and after questions always remind me that I could study all Ken's lists, read all the children's library books that James recommended, memorize the elementary table and the state capitals  -- and still not be able to compete with these guys because they're just plain smarter than I am.  It also reminds me that "quick" is a synonym for intelligent.

• Love 6

When I saw people were posting here before the show aired in the Midwest, I did not come back last night. Next day is safe enough for me to read comments.

I don't see what the hoopla is about AT saying "bitchin'" It was a common term of the 70s, and it means "super great." When someone calls another person a "bitch," they infer that person is a female dog, which is suppose to be an insult. That's not what AT said or meant. I'm in the world of show dogs, and "bitch" is an every-day word, it's a female canine. Dog-show classes are divided by sex, and classes are Puppy Bitch, Novice Bitch, American-Bred Bitch, Open Bitch and so forth. What's the big deal, offended people.

The radio played the Triple Rhyme Time clues/answers this morning, with the show hosts trying to answer and laughing about how much time they would need to come up with all three words. They marveled at how quickly the players responded. Then they played some of the Toy category and remarked how easy those were, which made one of the hosts reply that was so people at home (and them!) could feel smart. Hey, we viewers need a bone tossed to us every once in a while.

I spent some time shouting at my tv to root certain players on, and actually jumped up and clapped at one point in the first game. Ken is the best on the buzzer, and I hope his hesitation to wager TOO much on FJ doesn't hurt him. I also hope Brad comes back strong tonight. It wasn't like him to miss those DDs.

I laughed and thanked all the posters in the Season thread for our discussions on sackbutt and Lincoln Logs so I could feel smart for a little bit.

ETA: I also caught Ken's grammatical faux pas in his recorded package. He should have run his script past his editor at Simon & Schuster before taping.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

I, too, learned that Nichelle Nichols anecdote from Drunk History. It's underrated as an educational program, wonder why.

I laughed really a lot at Ken's Don Ho guess last night, but I looked up Don today, and no, it was definitely a dumb guess. Xanadu instead of Hearst Castle also made me LOL, but I saw the sense in that one. Still rooting for you the most, Ken! He was so relieved getting that second FJ. I hope he keeps it up.

I don't seem to mind James as much here playing against people more his speed; he definitely seems more chill. But I didn't care for the Philadelphia bit, so I guess I still don't actually like him.

I hope Brad has a better game, or match, tonight. As a Louisianan and a jazz fan, I felt for him when he answered Beale Street for that Louis Armstrong DD. That was a tough one.

• Love 4

As much as I was rooting for my boo Brad, I was kind of chuffed that Ken can finally say he didn't always lose to Brad.  And I'd rather Ken win than James.  Not really because I dislike James - I just hate all the hoo-ha about him.

Still, I was disappointed that Brad took so long to find his playing rhythm.  And to blow 3 Daily Doubles!  I mean, I said Beal Street, and also Jean-Jacques Rousseau (although I was also sure that was wrong), but I'm not on this tournament.  And the Vronsky answer?  Even I knew that is the character in Anna Karenina, although I couldn't drag Potemkin out of my brain despite the battleship having recently been an answer.  I guess I'm going to put that performance down to brain fog or something, and hope he does better in the next two games.

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 7:06 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Oh wow. Just saw a clip on the ABC news of Brad back in the day (pre-wide screen tv). Then they showed him currently. Did he win an anti-aging charm, or are my eyes just getting fuzzy?

He does seem to have aged extremely well.  He's also lost a bit of weight since then.

Overall it was an enjoyable match.  I had no clue on the second game's FJ, and somehow managed to add an extra word to that first line from the gospel of John and couldn't make it work.  Don't know how I did that.

15 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I can’t believe over two games James didn’t hit a single Double Jeopardy. Did Brad catch 5 out of the 6 (and choke on pretty much all of them)?

Brad hit 4 of the 6; Ken hit the other 2.  Brad got one right - the Moog synthesizer.  Oh, how well I remember those.

I'm only an occasional Jeopardy viewer, but the GOAT tournament has lured me in.  I expected them to do well on the standard type of questions but was gobsmacked by how good these guys were on the complicated questions like the 3 word rhyme and before during after.  They would be finishing the question while I was still puzzling out the answer.  Props to all three contestants, and I hope it remains ultra competitive and it goes the distance.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Then they played some of the Toy category and remarked how easy those were, which made one of the hosts reply that was so people at home (and them!) could feel smart. Hey, we viewers need a bone tossed to us every once in a while.

lol...when I heard 1983 I yelled "Cabbage Patch Kids!" I turned 8 that year. (My mom managed to get one for each of us but the second one was pure luck of being in the right place at the right time.)

1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I hope Brad has a better game, or match, tonight. As a Louisianan and a jazz fan, I felt for him when he answered Beale Street for that Louis Armstrong DD. That was a tough one.

I thought Beale St. first, too, but then that immediately put "Walking in Memphis" in my head (I'm very prone to earworms) and I realized it was wrong.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Hey, respect for me too then! I'm old, I remember watching it at the time. 

One of my biggest 'sports anger' moments is that that game was televised tape delayed, not live, and I already knew who won.

Edited by opus
  • Love 2

I was surprised James missed "Feliz cumpleanos". I guess he never took Spanish, or had any Spanish speaking friend?

For the triple rhyme time, do they have to get the words in a certain order?

When the contestants are giving the questions, I wish they would give the full names of people more often, instead of just the last names.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, mtlchick said:

James' "HA HA!" to Brad about Philadelphia had me rolling. 

I'm rooting for Ken Jen, but these 3 are not messing around.  Well except for Brad who keeps bombing out on the daily double.  

In any event, I'm thrilled this is happening and my prayers as always to Bitchin' Trebek. 

What was the Philadelphia thing?  I didn't get it.

Brad is from Pennsylvania, I got that much.  Can you recap it again?  (Or I'll re-watch it on the DVR later.) . Thanks.

16 hours ago, Paloma said:

Really impressed, though not surprised, with how great this match was. But I am kind of surprised they were allowed to use "Bitchin'" in a clue (and that Alex was allowed to say it). 

It's the 80s.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

What was the Philadelphia thing?  I didn't get it.

Brad is from Pennsylvania, I got that much. 

That's all there is to it - Brad is from Pennsylvania, but James beat him to the buzzer and got to answer that clue, so he directed a "Ha!" at Brad.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's all there is to it - Brad is from Pennsylvania, but James beat him to the buzzer and got to answer that clue, so he directed a "Ha!" at Brad.

Thanks.  Do you remember what the clue and question were?

The hype got to me and I was very looking forward to this contest.  It did not disappoint.  Loved it!  All three were impressive, especially with the before, during, after word clues.  I could barely finish the clue let alone process it and they were already responding.  Just amazing.  I also liked that Ken and Brad had to adapt to the “James” style of betting big on DD and also starting with the larger dollar clues.  It was out of their comfort zone, but they went for it and it was exciting.  The only sour note was the “think music”...very distracting!  Other than that I loved it, love all three contestants and love that Alex gets to host yet another tournament which he so clearly enjoys.

• Love 12