Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Emma9 said:

I don't remember for sure, but I thought 44k was his total for the second round only? In which case adding 88 to his round 1 score would've done it.

I stand corrected. I was incorrect in my post and have removed it. Blaming it on G&Ts.

• Love 2

I wasn't terribly enthused about this tournament when it was announced, for reasons I can't even articulate - I think it felt forced, or something weird like that - but I've loved it from the moment it began.  I wish it could have carried on (to keep enjoying, mostly, and also so maybe Brad could have finally won a match), but it was terrific.  The camaraderie was as great as the play, and the experience was thoroughly enjoyable.  I was well and truly wrong when I said this wasn't as exciting as the show/network wanted me to think it was upon announcing it.

And James didn't win, which was a nice little bonus.

It was nice that Alex noted all of their records will remain intact regardless of who wins this tournament (crazy to think that even with Ken adding $1 million to his total, Brad has still won the most money).

I spent much of DJ in the first game just sipping my drink and watching.  Yikes, these players are truly something special.  I did keep up with them in Jeoportmanteau, which made me feel good.  The TS in that round all stumped me, too, but I did get Aspen in the first round.

In the second game, thank heavens for some video clues where I could come up with the response before the contestants were allowed to ring in.  And I could not love the Math to Roman Numerals to Initials to Names category more; I even got Ken's missed DD of Courtney Love.  I also got Lawrence Welk.  But I still spent much of the game as a spectator.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was sad that there were no Airplane! questions in the Roger Murdock...Kareem category. 

I really wanted an Airplane! clue, too, from the moment the category was announced.

And I am also right there with everyone happy that Brad replied "Aaron Burr" as if he had a mouth full of peanut butter.  I am incapable of saying his name any other way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know if it was just me, but those little conversations that Alex had with James, Brad and Ken in the first game (how had their lives changed since their respective individual runs/what was happening now?) sounded very final and a lot like a goodbye-type of conversation. Is Alex stepping down soon?

"What is melancholy, Alex?"

Yes, that was his farewell to those three, and it was very sad to watch.  Then, in the second game, his voice was very tremulous throughout.  It felt from the first game tonight that he knew this would be the final GOAT night, and his final time on stage with the three of them.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2

I was between Iago and Brutus, and decided on the wrong one. Feh!

I could keep watching this series forever! Somehow, though, I suspect that Brad is glad it's over. 😉 Indeed, I could be persuaded that Alex gave that "He has won the most, and Ken has...." half-time pep talk to alleviate Brad's embarrassment, or at least what I'm projecting onto him!

I still prefer James.

And I further believe that this entire "competition" to find the GJCOAT was specifically designed as a very special farewell for Alex. Bring back the best for the best. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 11

For some reason, I never particularly liked Ken.  I had missed all of Brad's appearances, and I liked James, although I could understand why some people wouldn't.  After the GOAT tournament, I really like all three of them.  It was one of the best things on television in ages!

There was a personal connection with two of the answers.  Having to watch the Lawrence Welk Show growing up WAS a fate worse than death.  One of my friends called it child abuse.

Edited by EllenB
  • LOL 11
  • Love 6
On 1/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't care many people I admire rave about Hunter Thompson. I will NEVER forgive him for killing himself in the kitchen with his GRANDSON in the house.  He had all this acreage in Aspen, and leaves a mess inside for somebody to clean up. I can understand him wanting to off himself, but the time & place was totally wrong.

Assholes abound.

Digression: There are those who think HST was Epsteined, IYKWIM. He was investigating the Bohemian Grove activities. 

• Useful 2

Chiming in late to say how much I enjoyed this. I was glad to see Ken take it all. I don't have any special fondness for him, but I was put off by all the "of course James will win" pre-game hype. I began to dislike James after the "Brad's score is still there" crack and the GHOST answer on FJ.

I was disappointed that Brad never made his comeback or even came close. When New York Magazine published this speculative piece, I thought "Do they know something we don't?"

Yay for me, I knew Lawrence Welk! I used to watch his show with my grandparents on Saturday night. Disagree with whoever called watching the show child abuse--sure, it was a Conservative Old People's show, but Welk assembled some of the best musicians ever on TV. 

On last night's FJ I thought of Falstaff first, then remembered the Henry IV plays are histories and not tragedies and The Merry Wives of Windsor is a comedy. I guessed Iago at the last minute. I didn't think of Brutus at all, or I would have gone with him.

• Love 5

I also went Falstaff and then realized it was a history but didn't make a correction in time to get to Iago.   Sigh.   

I was rooting for Ken in general but James last night and Brad to have a good showing just because I wanted more nights of this!  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know if it was just me, but those little conversations that Alex had with James, Brad and Ken in the first game (how had their lives changed since their respective individual runs/what was happening now?) sounded very final and a lot like a goodbye-type of conversation. Is Alex stepping down soon?

I thought the same thing :(. When he said this probably would be the last time they play the game. While that maybe true, the way he said implied if they did play again he won't be there :(.

I was glad that Ken won. However, I thought it was Jame's game when he didn't bet anything on FJ. Which makes me wonder why he didn't? And ironically he was the only one that got it right.  Anyhow, that was very entertaining and it's kind of sad to see it end.

Edited by blueray
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

James was such a jerky jerk to Brad that his answer of Horatio was delicious.  Also James was huffing and puffing like a disgruntled toddler and it was just a bad look for him all around.  

I was actually genuinely wondering for a brief moment if he was having a heart attack.

8 hours ago, Emma9 said:

I don't remember for sure, but I thought 44k was his total for the second round only? In which case adding 88 to his round 1 score would've done it.

Yes, you are correct.

8 hours ago, Emma9 said:

Especially in this tourney, the buzzer was a huge factor; I'm sure all three of them could have answered the majority of the clues, but Ken had the timing down.

The other essentially random factor (by design) is where the Daily Doubles were, which was decisive in a couple of the games.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Brad, we already knew you were brilliant and now we know you are also an awesome, gracious man.  You reminded me that you don't really know someone until you see how they act when they're losing.

This is very true, and I was consistently impressed that Brad (who I really thought was going to win before we started--history and al) never lost his cool, kept his humor and sportsmanship, and then he seemed genuinely happy for Ken.

I also liked a moment when Ken and Brad both didn't know an answer, and they looked at each other and shrugged.  It was almost like they both expected the other to be ringing in, and when they realized the other didn't know either, they just had a moment.  It showed how much they are friends as well as competitors.

• Love 21

Did Ken bet 0 on the last round because he wanted to play another game? It felt like he was throwing it on purpose, and then Jame said "hold my beer." I'm bummed that it's over, but Ken played a great set of games and definitely deserved it!

I was on the edge of my seat when Brad found the Daily Double. Gah! He was so off his game this tourney, which is surprising, since he was doing pretty well during the Team Tournament.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, kazza said:

Was Brad imitating Sean Connery in calling out that Trebek category, a la SNL? If so, that. is. awesome. 

Yes! That was hilarious. Connery and Aaron Burr. Brad rocks. Pity about the whole losing thing.

As for James, I don't think James means to be mean or offensive, I think he's just socially awkward. Still glad he didn't win.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, ABay said:

As for James, I don't think James means to be mean or offensive, I think he's just socially awkward. Still glad he didn't win.

That joke about his score was harsh! (I laughed) And he's also been pretty brutal with him on Twitter. Brad has just recently started swinging back. I can tell that James and Ken like each other and the Ken and Brad like each other, but I'm not quite sure whether the "gentle ribbing" between James and Brad is playful, or if they actually dislike each other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

NYT on the game final and as a whole.  There are also some more Twitter comments from James, and I am torn between giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's just awkward (Lord knows I am) versus actually mean.  I'm starting to lean toward mean.  He has not been gracious in loss, which Brad has, but instead has been going after Brad for a while.  Ken beat him and there hasn't been much from James toward Ken, and I feel like there is a reason for that, and it feels like the reason is that Brad is the softer target.  Even though in the end, they were essentially tied (no second or third, both got equal money).

• Love 6

I never liked Ken, and stopped watching during his run.  I do admire his playing skills and depth of knowledge.  Brad is all class.  I always liked James, but what is his claim to J! fame?  Brad has won the most money, Ken the most games.  Did James hit the game at a time when the show was a bit meh?  And did he make a sly reference to taking over Alex’s duties she he said words to the effect of waiting for,the media to call?

1 minute ago, PaulaO said:

I always liked James, but what is his claim to J! fame?  Brad has won the most money, Ken the most games.  Did James hit the game at a time when the show was a bit meh?

I think he holds the top 16 single day earning records. The record was previously $77,000 and he nearly doubled it. I think he also hit the game around the time that Alex got sick, and Alex seemed to really be excited about James' run.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, blueray said:

Which makes me wonder why he didn't?

Ken said on GMA this morning that he didn't bet anything because he didn't need to. If you are in second place, your hope of winning depends on the person in first place betting a lot and getting it wrong.  And, he was right 🙂 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
53 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

NYT on the game final and as a whole.  There are also some more Twitter comments from James, and I am torn between giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's just awkward (Lord knows I am) versus actually mean.  I'm starting to lean toward mean.  

I'm not a James fan but I was just reading his twitter and his last couple of tweets have been specifically pointing out Brad's record as if to say, 'Hey, he may have not done well this time, but LOOK AT THIS DUDE'S RECORD!' He doesn't have to prove anything. He's awesome.' So I don't think the's trying to be mean.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Ken said on GMA this morning that he didn't bet anything because he didn't need to. If you are in second place, your hope of winning depends on the person in first place betting a lot and getting it wrong.  And, he was right 🙂 

Ken was technically in first though, with his current score added to the first came score, so for him, it didn't matter what James bet, he was just betting that James would get it wrong. I don't really buy that strategy for this level of competition though. I still feel like, based on his level of play through the first 4 games, he knew he had the tournament in the bag and he wanted to play another game. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, driver18 said:

I'm not a James fan but I was just reading his twitter and his last couple of tweets have been specifically pointing out Brad's record as if to say, 'Hey, he may have not done well this time, but LOOK AT THIS DUDE'S RECORD!' He doesn't have to prove anything. He's awesome.' So I don't think the's trying to be mean.

I think it is a mixed bag.  I think he doesn't mean to be mean, but at the same time he should have the sense to not say anything negative about his performance this round.  I mean why kick a person when they are down.  I like James, I am just saying that he would look better avoiding that kind of thing (for those that like him less).

• Love 2

So glad that Alex's greatest nemesis, Sean Connery, got to make an appearance.

I haven't watch the show regularly since Ken's run. But this run made me appreciate why I enjoyed the show. Especially Alex. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

As far as Brad is concerned, when three "titans" face off, one is usually going to be odd man out  You can't have a duel for three.  Ken seems to have needed this more, so congrats to him.

For the final-est of FJs, I first thought Falstaff (but, ah, he's in history and comedy and I believe Brutus' Julius Caesar would also be a history) then Horatio (best friends don't give a lot of speeches, though) and finally, Iago because eeevildoers do a lot of pontification.  And that brought back a pleasant memory of seeing live, many years ago here in Chicago, James Earl Jones as Othello and Christopher Plummer as Iago.  So thanks for the memory!

• Love 3

James also made a number of jokes at his own expense.  I don't think there's any reason to think he's being mean to Brad (or that Brad was bothered by it); these guys are all rich and successful, they're quipping for fun and entertainment value.

• Love 17

Oh James, great comeback and you took control of the board again like we have seen you do so many times.  You seized the lead and just needed to get Final Jeopardy right to pull even with Ken and force a final showdown.  Disappointed it wasn't to be, that match would have been glorious.  What can you say, Ken played solid, was nails on Daily Doubles, and deserved to win the title.  I will always think James is slightly better.  He was one missed question away from winning last night, and after a slow start in the first match where he dug himself into a hole, he dominated in the second half.  But it's the final score that matters and Ken won.

Of course, we all know who the true greatest player in Jeopardy! history is:

Edited by Dobian
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8

That was a great match.  I am sorry that it is over, but Ken played so well.  James has changed his Twitter name to "Goat Fodder", and has been nothing but complimentary to Ken and Brad.

I also thought the zero comment came off as mean spirited, but I don't think it was intentional. A combination of social awkwardness and wanting to make a funny remark.  Plus, I'm sure in James' sports betting world there are a lot of zingers tossed around.

Brad was so gracious.  I really was shocked that he didn't win a single game.  But he seemed much more emotional about Alex than the others.  Wonder if that affected his game?

The rating were sky high.  Would not be surprised if there was a rematch down the road.

• Love 9

Probably BYT (before your time) for most people posting here.

Remembering the Lawrence Welk show from childhood... and my #1 memory is the episode when the lady loses her wig:

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I kept saying, "L.a.w.r.e.n.c.e. W.e.l.k." (heh heh)  These guys are waaaay too young.  My parents enjoyed watching his show (they adored the accordionist because he was Scandinavian). I can still hear that bouncy theme song and Welk's "...and a one and a two..."

My mom loved that show when I was a kid, and it was so boring to me and I winced when she turned it on.  Whenever the camera panned the audience it looked like half of them were bussed them in from the local retirement home.  Considering this was the 1970s, there were people in that audience who were born in the nineteenth century.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 4

Noooooo!  It can't be over yet!  That was way too much fun to be over so soon.

Congrats to Ken.  I've never particularly been a fan of his, but he absolutely deserved that win.  He played like a machine.

Poor Brad never really got the rhythm of buzzing in with two competitors who were that fast.  Even though he's played against Ken many times before, having another player who was so quick to ring in just killed his game.  Well, that and the unfortunate Daily Doubles; if he'd used his usual betting strategy for them, getting so many wrong might, just might, not have killed him, but James' betting made everyone up their bets.  Oh well, I'm sure he'll go cry into his many millions.  And he did seem genuinely happy for Ken - those two have been rivals and friends for a long time now.

I'm glad James didn't win, for a variety of reasons, but I have to admit he showed more personality in this tournament than in any of his regular games, so good for him for almost being a spoiler.  Although that jab about Brad's zero score did seem a bit mean-spirited to me.  Still, I was actually wishing he'd win last night's match just so it wouldn't be over just yet.

I felt not too stupid in the first game, until I missed the FJ, but the second game sent me back into moron territory again.  Although I did get the very last FJ - Iago was the only non-title character I could think of who was more of the main character in the play than the title character was, and I thought he had a lot of speeches.  I didn't realize it was that many, though.

16 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Also...Brad, call me.  

Call  me first, damn it!  ;-)

16 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I thought the Roman numerals to names category was hard — again, they were answering while I was still deciphering the question.

I did okay in it by completely ignoring the Roman numeral/initial part and concentrating on the end of every clue.  As in Alex's example where all I really needed to know was the name of the singer who'd done Wrecking Ball.  I didn't get Courtney Love or Xavier Cugat, but did get the other 3.

15 hours ago, kazza said:

Was Brad imitating Sean Connery in calling out that Trebek category, a la SNL? If so, that. is. awesome

Yes, and yes.

14 hours ago, lb60 said:

Brad--that was a lovely response on the last FJ.

I think Brad is the one who's going to miss Alex the most.  Which makes sense since he's the one who's known him the longest.

• Love 4

Now I remember.  James is the highest scorer for a single game, beating Roger "Uriah Heep" I can't remember his last name because I found him so creepy.  I often say "be that as it may, Alex" but nobody gets it....

14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I kept saying, "L.a.w.r.e.n.c.e. W.e.l.k." (heh heh)  These guys are waaaay too young.  My parents enjoyed watching his show (they adored the accordionist because he was Scandinavian). I can still hear that bouncy theme song and Welk's "...and a one and a two..."

I knew who it was, but all I could come up with was Guy Lombardo, and he was Canadian.  Just couldn't drag LW out of my brain.

Come to mama, Brad, I'll make it all better.

2 hours ago, Dobian said:

I will always think James is slightly better.

Whereas this tournament pretty much proved that he isn't.  There's a certain element of luck involved, of course.  But he lost 3 two-game matches to Ken in 4 days.  (Edited to note that Ken owes Brad some of that million for taking out all those Daily Doubles before James got to them.  I'm sure that was the plan, lol.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Now I remember.  James is the highest scorer for a single game, beating Roger "Uriah Heep" I can't remember his last name because I found him so creepy.  I often say "be that as it may, Alex" but nobody gets it....

Roger Craig, I believe.

5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew who it was, but all I could come up with was Guy Lombardo, and he was Canadian.  Just couldn't drag LW out of my brain.

Come to mama, Brad, I'll make it all better.

Whereas this tournament pretty much proved that he isn't.  There's a certain element of luck involved, of course.  But he lost 3 two-game matches to Ken in 4 days.

Yup!  Ken blew young James away and we were there to see it.  I'm still in awe of both of them, their ability to retain so much info' and retrieve it so fast from whatever "storage folder" in their brains.

• Love 10

None of those guys is old enough to remember Lawrence Welk.

My grandparents used to watch the show in the 70's, then my parents started watching in the late 90's-2000's.  PBS still shows episodes on Saturdays.  I just turned 60, but I still find it to be just corny and awful.  Here's hoping that never changes.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

I don't think there's any reason to think he's being mean to Brad (or that Brad was bothered by it); these guys are all rich and successful, they're quipping for fun and entertainment value.

People who are rich and successful can still be mean spirited, rude and hateful to others they consider less than them. It takes a "bigger person" to be polite and courteous and kind to others less fortunate. Even Ken said "Ouch" to James' slash at Brad's score.

I found this and thought it was interesting, the only comment like this I've seen:

805805244_Screenshot2020-01-14at9_18_40PM.png.8a562381df82f93457fb0b0d6bbd87a1.png

I got the TS of Jesus is King. TMZ can help a lot with Jeopardy! clues.

I laughed at Ken's Charles Lindbergh grasp. I found it easier to come up with the answers in that category without going through Roman numerals then initials then name. He was trying to come up with any C.L. name, and it's better to answer anything and hope than say nothing and know you're stiffed. (I didn't know it was Courtney Love either, not that that's big news.)

As for none of the players being old enough to remember Lawrence Welk, they aren't old enough to have known Napoleon, either. I hate when AT says "It was Before Your Time." Thank you for not saying it last night, Mr. Trebek. I watched LW every week with my mom, yet I couldn't answer that TS either. Not that that's big news.

I hope networks paid attention to the great ratings this tournament got, and how everyone was and is talking about it. I wish there would be more similar shows on instead of all the drecky brain-dead fake-and-scripted reality shows that are everywhere. Not all tv watchers are drooling morons. (Just some of us!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
40 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

As for none of the players being old enough to remember Lawrence Welk, they aren't old enough to have known Napoleon, either. I hate when AT says "It was Before Your Time." 

Exactly!  Plus we never get, "It's  after your time," on all those pop singers I never heard of.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

People who are rich and successful can still be mean spirited, rude and hateful to others they consider less than them. It takes a "bigger person" to be polite and courteous and kind to others less fortunate. Even Ken said "Ouch" to James' slash at Brad's score.

I found this and thought it was interesting, the only comment like this I've seen:

Well, I couldn't copy that link, but I must say that I didn't pick up any meaness in James comment re: Brad's score. The way he said it funnily reflected that Brad's score still hadn't changed from the previous night. If I hadn't previously observed a cool  guys type commradery, I'd have thought it might be mean. But they'd already projected a good, fun friendship amongst the three.  So, IMO, it was funny. And, I've *never* been a James fan.

• Love 3

I know next to nothing about Kanye. I said Yeezus.

8 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Sounds like he's done this before.

My brain was all "Uhhhhhhhhhhh" with the Math to Roman Numerals to Initials to Names category. However, I did get Maya Lin without doing the math. 🙂

I had nothing for the Shakespeare FJ and took a wild stab with Polonius. I was 99% sure that was wrong. And I was right! When Iago was revealed, I was all DUH!

Such a fun tournament. Congratulations to Ken.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I know next to nothing about Kanye. I said Yeezus.

Good guess. That's the name of another Kanye album that, for "some" reason, rhymes with "another" name.

ETA: I did laugh at the close of the finale when Brad and James lifted Ken and his trophy up, a la DWTS. If only the GOAT trophy had some glitter, that would have made it the perfect ending.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Brad was so gracious.  I really was shocked that he didn't win a single game.

He really was a good sport and so gracious. I think the buzzer got him and the DD's. He could've known all the answers but it doesn't do any good if you can't buzz in first.

I'm so very happy for Ken, I wanted him to win.

Great Tournament!

• Love 6

I finally got to watch!  Even though I was spoiled this morning for who won, I still had to watch.  And I am thrilled to pieces that Ken won!  It always amazes me how nail-bitey something can be even when you know the outcome.

I don't think I got any of the Roman Numerals category right, even when I tried just focusing on the non-math part of the clue.  

Add me to the list of people who laughed at Brad's "Aaron Burr" and his imitation of the imitation of Sean Connery.

Alex was incorrect when he said nothing changed in this tournament.  Brad has now been beaten by a human.

And because it can't be said often enough, yay, Ken!

ETA: Dark Waters was really good!  Not nearly as Erin Brockovich-ish as I thought it might be, and a tad slow at the beginning, but really good in the end.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1

Hooray for Ken. It's clear this win means a lot to him, and he earned it. I'm thrilled for him.

This was a really fun event. Everybody from Alex on down to the clue writers and music producers seemed to be having a great time and giving it their all. I don't know if there have been cooler wordplay categories than the Roman numerals one or the before-during-after one from the first match.

I guessed Brutus for the Shakespeare FJ; Othello never even crossed my mind, unfortunately. I was proud to get Arcadia correct, even though I only know it because of the TV show Endeavour.

Nothing about James seems socially awkward to me.

• Love 2