Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

Thanks.  Do you remember what the clue and question were?

Remember, no, as that was a whole 16 hours ago. 🙂  But, per the archive, it was the $600 clue in American Idols (game two):

The legendary Dick Clark was an idol of mine [this was presented by Ryan Seacrest] growing up; we both started out as D.J.s, me in Los Angeles & Dick in this city where he first hosted "American Bandstand".

James pointed at Brad and said "Ha Ha" then gave the correct response of Philadelphia.  Folks laughed, and Brad said, "No need to rub it in."  It seemed all in good fun.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

The only sour note was the “think music”...very distracting!

I guess the Think music was not composed or played on the piano Marlon Brando gave to Merv Griffin. That's the problem.

I never hear music on any tv show, so it was nothing to me.

1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Hey, respect for me too then! I'm old, I remember watching it at the time. 

I hope the next games are as delightful as this one was! 

Me, too.  We were allowed to watch the Olympics during 9th grade gym class.  The teacher alternated between the boys picking what to watch and the girls picking.  The boys absolutely expected us to choose figure skating, and were blown away by us choosing to watch US hockey games instead.  Never underestimate the power of cute college men who still have all their teeth, lol.

37 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

It's the 80s.  

They were totally bitchin.  And rad, too.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

The hype got to me and I was very looking forward to this contest.  It did not disappoint.  Loved it!  All three were impressive, especially with the before, during, after word clues.  I could barely finish the clue let alone process it and they were already responding.  Just amazing.  I also liked that Ken and Brad had to adapt to the “James” style of betting big on DD and also starting with the larger dollar clues.  It was out of their comfort zone, but they went for it and it was exciting.  The only sour note was the “think music”...very distracting!  Other than that I loved it, love all three contestants and love that Alex gets to host yet another tournament which he so clearly enjoys.

So was the Final Jeopardy music different?

I haven't watched the show in a few years, and it seemed different to me.

The beginning of this new version seemed odd.  Then it got better.

I liked the simplicity of the music from the older shows, when I used to watch more regularly, in the 90s and 2000s.

I wouldn't mind if they went in another direction and went full orchestra, but it has to sound right.  

On another note, I found it funny that the beginning of the show following this special Jeopardy!, "Mixed-ish", started with a mix tape reference.

Something that was just mentioned on Jeopardy!

I watched a few minutes.  Seemed like a decent show.  I don't want to add any more TV right now, but if I was looking to add something, I could give this a shot.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

They were totally bitchin.  And rad, too.

I didn't realize rad started in the 80s.  I remember it from the early 90s.  But it probably did come from the 80s or earlier.

Edited by nuraman00
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Then they played some of the Toy category and remarked how easy those were, which made one of the hosts reply that was so people at home (and them!) could feel smart. Hey, we viewers need a bone tossed to us every once in a while.

I mean, I'm usually decent (not great) at regular Jeopardy, but I barely got any questions last night. Maybe I would have done better if there was actually time to comprehend the question before they were onto the next one though. Damn, those guys are fast!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, absnow54 said:

I mean, I'm usually decent (not great) at regular Jeopardy, but I barely got any questions last night. Maybe I would have done better if there was actually time to comprehend the question before they were onto the next one though. Damn, those guys are fast!

I know.  I was wishing I had DVR or something, so I could pause it between questions.  Especially on the before during after and triple rhyme time.  I'd get one or two elements and then they'd answer.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

So was the Final Jeopardy music different?

It's the same music but they added a percussion element to it that just made it feel faster and more anxiety-provoking (for me at least). I don't know if it was actually faster.

24 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

I watched a few minutes.  Seemed like a decent show.  I don't want to add any more TV right now, but if I was looking to add something, I could give this a shot.

It's only seven nights, at most, though, so not a huge commitment. Fewer if they don't each manage to win two matches (which is why, I'm assuming, TV Guide didn't have it listed past this week's episodes). I have a dilemma tonight, though, since it conflicts with the first hour of something else I like to watch in real time (there's a live chat involved). Hopefully Jeopardy will be available on demand the next day so I can save tonight's for right after work tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Did we really - especially in this level of play - need the audio portion of the "recorder" clue?  (No, we did not, but it was fun to finally say an answer well before they did because they had to wait.) 

I think the waiting was the point! The show seemed to put in a lot more "you have to wait" clues than usual, to slow these fast guys down somewhat! 

7 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Actually, I thought the real question was "Who was Alexander the Great's mom?"  

"This mother of Alexander the Great was in the cult of Dionysus & liked to sleep with snakes."

Eh, I did the best I could based off memory. The J-Archive didn't have the clue transcribed when I wrote my post.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

lol...when I heard 1983 I yelled "Cabbage Patch Kids!"

I noticed James said doll instead of kid, and that was OK with the judges. Hmm...

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dcalley said:

I noticed James said doll instead of kid, and that was OK with the judges. Hmm...

I didn't notice, but I have heard them referred to that way in the past, so I guess it's common enough that they accepted it.

So the biggest mystery of all--why did David Muir only read four of the five clues in his category?  Was he too busy reporting on stuff to fit that fifth clue into his schedule? 😀

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, nuraman00 said:

For the triple rhyme time, do they have to get the words in a certain order?

Apparently not. It seemed like someone (maybe Brad) gave an answer that Alex responded to with something like, "Well, yes, ok," which I took to mean the words were out of order.

23 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It's the same music but they added a percussion element to it that just made it feel faster and more anxiety-provoking (for me at least). I don't know if it was actually faster.

It seemed faster to me. Plus, Alex said something about it, like these top, experienced players didn't need as much time as regular contestants.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Apparently not. It seemed like someone (maybe Brad) gave an answer that Alex responded to with something like, "Well, yes, ok," which I took to mean the words were out of order.

Probably his "calm Psalm palm" answer (instead of "calm palm Psalm") to "A sedate date tree that's the subject of a Biblical poem".

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

It's only seven nights, at most, though, so not a huge commitment. Fewer if they don't each manage to win two matches (which is why, I'm assuming, TV Guide didn't have it listed past this week's episodes).

My fios guide has it on the schedule for next week too. 

16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was surprised by that, too. He certainly knows that's not grammatically correct, so I figure he did that on purpose... for some reason... which I can't figure out.

I highly doubt he did anything on purpose there. Publishers probably give him book deals based on the name he made for himself on Jeopardy!, and not because he's a great writer.

8 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Oddly enough, I instantly knew this because of Drunk History! 😄

I heard that story years ago, but I have always been a Star Trek fan. I'm one of those "don't call me a Trekkie" fans. Going back to the 1970s that term was always considered derogatory by real fans. Anyway, I always love a good Star Trek question on Jeopardy!. Probably because it drives another member of my household crazy.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't see what the hoopla is about AT saying "bitchin'" It was a common term of the 70s, and it means "super great."

ETA: I also caught Ken's grammatical faux pas in his recorded package. He should have run his script past his editor at Simon & Schuster before taping.

Some people are creepily sensitive to what they consider "bad" words. I've never gotten that and I never will. If you look at reviews on IMDB or Amazon for various movies or TV shows the worst ratings are always given by people who don't like some of the words used. It really makes the value of those ratings somewhat suspect.

47 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

So the biggest mystery of all--why did David Muir only read four of the five clues in his category?  Was he too busy reporting on stuff to fit that fifth clue into his schedule? 😀

I wish he had read none. He's one of those people who give journalism a bad name. I supppose the reason he was chosen to read some clues is because the GOAT Tournament is airing on Disney's channel and he's their talking-head-in-chief.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
9 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

My fios guide has it on the schedule for next week too. 

I think TV Guide's website had some kind of "TBA" placeholder for next week's 8pm slot when I checked it over the weekend. Now it shows Jeopardy on Tuesday but normal programming for Wednesday - Friday. So is that a fakeout, subject to change, or does someone win it on Tuesday? Guess we'll have to stay tuned...

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I in got a couple partial and only one complete, and barely answered it at the same time as Ken (and I started answering before he did because I read faster than Alex can read the clue out loud). I expected the game to be harder than normal, but I did so badly. Glad I was watching by myself. 

I'm *always* glad I'm watching by myself!  

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It's only seven nights, at most, though, so not a huge commitment. Fewer if they don't each manage to win two matches (which is why, I'm assuming, TV Guide didn't have it listed past this week's episodes). I have a dilemma tonight, though, since it conflicts with the first hour of something else I like to watch in real time (there's a live chat involved). Hopefully Jeopardy will be available on demand the next day so I can save tonight's for right after work tomorrow. 

I meant I don't want to add any more TV, for "Mixed-ish", which I watched a few minutes of because it was airing right after this special Jeopardy!.  I don't want to add that new series, Mixed-ish.

This Jeopardy! is fine.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

I meant I don't want to add any more TV, for "Mixed-ish", which I watched a few minutes of because it was airing right after this special Jeopardy!.  I don't want to add that new series, Mixed-ish.

This Jeopardy! is fine.

Ah, I gotcha. I don't watch any of the -ish franchises. Seen a few eps of Blackish but never got into it.

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol...when I heard 1983 I yelled "Cabbage Patch Kids!" I turned 8 that year. (My mom managed to get one for each of us but the second one was pure luck of being in the right place at the right time.)

Are we related? I could have written the above, except from the Mom perspective!

If you're my eldest daughter, you can confirm it by telling how many CPKids you had in total 😉 [Hint: more than 5]

• LOL 5
12 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Are we related? I could have written the above, except from the Mom perspective!

If you're my eldest daughter, you can confirm it by telling how many CPKids you had in total 😉 [Hint: more than 5]

lol...if you count the pony and the cat, I had 6, I think. Plus my brother had two. But if you have an "eldest daughter" it can't be me because I'm the youngest and only have the one brother. 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The up side: the overall snark between the 3 when Ken asked if he can borrow James' "all in" move and Brad said "You now owe him 10%." 

The down side: it felt that Alex was trying so hard not to slur his words at the beginning.  😞

The WTF: If I didn't know anything about Brad, I would have been astounded that he is considered a GOAT.  That was not pretty. 

• Love 16

I got Brad's missed DD again, 22.  I figured there are 23 pairs and only sex pair, so that leaves 22.  Sounded too easy to me, but logic prevailed for once.

I got half of the second fj, but that's not really impressive.  I was trying to think of who the czar of Russia was at that time.  I didn't know, but it turned out it didn't matter.

I won't even embarrass myself by saying what I was thinking for the first FJ.   don't want people to think it's OK to hunt me down and murder me to eliminate stupid from the world.

I actually came out ahead in the first round of the second game.  And I got a couple of the 20 letter words.  I don't usually do well in categories like that. It was cute that Ken felt badly about profiting from the others' mistakes. But, hey, that's how the game is played.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Brad seems to have a divining rod to find the Daily Doubles so quickly, but it's sure not doing him much good so far.  This has been James vs. Ken for two consecutive nights; Brad has mostly factored in because he finds and wastes the aforesaid Daily Doubles, and since Ken and James both rarely miss a question that they get to answer, who gets the Daily Doubles and when seems to be the main determinant of who wins.

• Love 10

Once James started to run away with it it came screaming back to me just how much I dislike him.

Come on, Ken!  Get it together!

I watched both nights tonight and I was proud of myself for getting some of the questions, and not just the low dollar ones.  I heard it was going to be way harder so figured I would be like “durr” the whole time.

• Love 10

Brad will always have his looks and old money to lean on. He’s in a different league up against James & Ken. Ken is still the GOAT for me. I still can’t take James and unfortunate smile. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Once James started to run away with it it came screaming back to me just how much I dislike him.

But, but, but he never kept the runaway game. Ken kept catching up so I see no reason for disliking him although so many of you do.

I knew that Madison was the shortest president but I was truly surprised when I checked and saw that Monroe was 6' tall!!

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

lol...if you count the pony and the cat, I had 6, I think. Plus my brother had two. But if you have an "eldest daughter" it can't be me because I'm the youngest and only have the one brother. 🙂

I clicked the "sad" icon for your post only because it would have been cool if you'd been one of my daughters!

They had more than a dozen CPKs - we took in rescues, I swear. They used to dress my cats up in their dolls' clothes - and bike around our neighbourhood with said cats in their bike baskets. (I had very zen cats.)

One result of their adoptions in early life: they foster children from 3rd world countries. Coincidence?

Re James and the doll vs kid slip, to my ears Cabbage Patch Dolls sounds almost as correct as CPKids.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Brad’s in a different league up against James & Ken. Ken is still the GOAT for me. 

I guess I don't get your comment.  Brad has definitely had a couple bad nights, but even Ken reminded us all that he has never beaten Brad.  Brad mentioned that he feels he is starting to slow down a bit, especially in memory recall.  I just really want him to be able to pull it out and have a good night.  I have grown quite fond of him watching the various tournaments he's been in over the years.

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Brad seems to have a divining rod to find the Daily Doubles so quickly, but it's sure not doing him much good so far.  This has been James vs. Ken for two consecutive nights; Brad has mostly factored in because he finds and wastes the aforesaid Daily Doubles, and since Ken and James both rarely miss a question that they get to answer, who gets the Daily Doubles and when seems to be the main determinant of who wins.

That's a good observation. It's also how Emma beat James to end his run. She got the DDs and deprived him of the chance (which he rarely missed) to pull ahead with huge DD wagers. I was hoping that wouldn't come into play so strongly in this tournament but Brad is playing spoiler with those Daily Doubles, just by eliminating them from play. Luck is playing a huge part thus far.

Over the years I've grown to like Ken Jennings less and less, mostly for reasons that have nothing to do with Jeopardy! per se. But his performance in the first 2 matches are a powerful reminder of how good of a player he really is.

I want James to win but I really hope Brad can win a match or two just to make it interesting.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ah, I gotcha. I don't watch any of the -ish franchises. Seen a few eps of Blackish but never got into it.

Well, you are watching the show mentioned during Jimmy Fallon’s monologue last night

F3FF6CFD-0926-4BC7-9468-28D8C1B83BE0.jpeg

• LOL 17
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

They actually found some trivia these guys can not pull out of their brains in time.  I'm impressed. 

Loving every minute. And, I cleared the Crown category!!

A show I've really wanted to watch for a long time. I've been planning to subscribe to that streaming service for a while. I'll probably catch it before mid-year. I missed the second Final Jeopardy tonight because my Eurpoean history isn't so great, but I thought my Queen Victoria guess would bail me out. In the series, "Victoria", they go to great lengths to portray her inferiority complex over being short of stature. In the first couple of seasons she was always worried that people didn't take her seriously because of how short she was. Can't wait to watch The Crown.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I clicked the "sad" icon for your post only because it would have been cool if you'd been one of my daughters!

They had more than a dozen CPKs - we took in rescues, I swear. They used to dress my cats up in their dolls' clothes - and bike around our neighbourhood with said cats in their bike baskets. (I had very zen cats.)

One result of their adoptions in early life: they foster children from 3rd world countries. Coincidence?

Re James and the doll vs kid slip, to my ears Cabbage Patch Dolls sounds almost as correct as CPKids.

Aw, I saw that and I was sad if I made you sad.  I forgot my mom also has one. And I have a knockoff one that my grandmother made.

22 minutes ago, opus said:

Well, you are watching the show mentioned during Jimmy Fallon’s monologue last night

F3FF6CFD-0926-4BC7-9468-28D8C1B83BE0.jpeg

I'll take it! I actually didn't watch tonight; I wanted to watch something else in real time. But last night's match was available on demand when I got home from work so I should be able to watch tonight's when I get home tomorrow, before the regular game starts.

• Love 4

I think Brad is lucky they didn't "subtract" from his first-game winnings in the second game where he ended up in the red. I don't think they ever considered that would happen in a tournament like this.

I want James to win the tournament, but I really want each of them to win a set. They're all great players.

• Love 14

I'm interested in seeing how Brad does tomorrow night. I'm not rooting for him (in particular); however, I love a close race and am hoping this tournament goes the full 7 games... so, come on, Brad - pull up your big boy pants take this cement block and turn it into an opportunity. (Easy to say from the comfort of my living room.)

Brad's probably been in similar situations before; at the least, he's walking away with 1/4 million. I'm sure he's hoping for more than that, especially his reputation as a famous person who's really, really smart.

This is why I'm not famous. *snort*

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I just found out there are 3 series.

Now I'm glad I didn't start.

I probably would have liked it if I had followed all of those series from the beginning.  But at this point, I don't want to go back and add this many more shows to my list.

Edited by nuraman00
  • Love 1

I feel really bad for the guy I'd never heard of (Brad).  But tomorrow could be his day and he'll finally win a game.  That would keep the suspense going, and I am really enjoying this so I don't mind if it continues for a few more days.

5 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't see what the hoopla is about AT saying "bitchin'" It was a common term of the 70s, and it means "super great."

ETA: I also caught Ken's grammatical faux pas in his recorded package. He should have run his script past his editor at Simon & Schuster before taping.

Some people are creepily sensitive to what they consider "bad" words. I've never gotten that and I never will. If you look at reviews on IMDB or Amazon for various movies or TV shows the worst ratings are always given by people who don't like some of the words used. It really makes the value of those ratings somewhat suspect.

I'm the one who initially remarked on "bitchin" but it's not because I think it is a bad word (at least not in this context), and I certainly would not give a bad rating to any show or movie because it used "bad" words (though I'm not a fan of using the f-word excessively). I was just surprised to hear it used in this show because I thought TV censors are stricter about language in a game show in an early time slot, especially one with a target audience of families and older people. 

ETA: I am a boomer who was in my 20s in the 70s, so I do remember this word being used to mean "great" or something similar, mostly by hippies or people talking about music. But I never used it, and I'm sure there are a lot of even older people who don't know this meaning.

Edited by Paloma
clarification

Tonight was much less fun than last night.  It seemed slower, too, for some reason.

I'm glad Ken is bringing his A game.  Brad needs to step it up now.

It made me sad that none of them knew, "Good day, sir!" from the best Willy Wonka movie. And a little surprised, too.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Tonight was much less fun than last night.  It seemed slower, too, for some reason.

That’s because they were actually getting questions wrong tonight. Also, so many clip package categories, which drives the game to a complete halt! 

6 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I'm the one who initially remarked on "bitchin" but it's not because I think it is a bad word (at least not in this context), and I certainly would not give a bad rating to any show or movie because it used "bad" words (though I'm not a fan of using the f-word excessively). I was just surprised to hear it used in this show because I thought TV censors are stricter about language in a game show in an early time slot, especially one with a target audience of families and older people. 

I think they’re more strict in syndication. The rules change after 8PM, and get progressively more relaxed every hour after that. I think the context was important too. They made it clear they meant “cool” and not derogatory slang against woman.  

• Love 4

I'm happy to say, I got half a FJ right tonight. G(ood)F(or)M(e)!

As for the actual games, I did better last night than tonight, but I wouldn't say I'm lighting the house on fire.

FJ has been brutal.

I'm surprised at Brad's performance, so far. I really want him to get it together.

I'm impressed with Ken, as I wasn't watching during his original run.

As for James.....

wait for it.....

I cant stand him!!

hahahahahahaha

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
38 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Also, so many clip package categories, which drives the game to a complete halt!   

I couldn't believe how long the question was that Glenn Close read. It just kept going. 

Edited by Pamela
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 16