Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

Thank goodness for the college football category, because until they got into that I wasn't doing too well in the first game.  Running that seemed to give me a boost, and I did pretty well with the rest of it.  I got FJ, I got the nitwit and Le Monde TS (and I'm surprised both of those stumped them) and the "Good Day, Sir" TS, even though that one was a total guess based on the wording of the clue as I've never seen the film and never knew where the quote came from, and overall did a better job than last night of keeping up with their pace.

I was hoping whomever answered "I'm walking here!" would do it justice, and Ken did.  I loved James giving him props, and then Ken's delivery on "I think I broke my buzzer" was perfect.  They were also all fun joking about the "all in" gesture being James's intellectual property (the only time that gesture hasn't annoyed the hell out of me).  And James telling Ken his FJ art was facing the wrong way.  I really enjoy the camaraderie among these three.

Maybe if I watched The Crown, I wouldn't have found the clips used in the clues ridiculously long (because the film clips in the second round didn't bug me), but I don't, so I did.

In game two, I was back to sometimes being slow to spit out the answer before one of them did, only got the Napoleon half of FJ, and the TS all also stumped me.  I guess one more drink really does make a difference.  But I still did okay, especially in the DJ round; I loved the 20-letter words category! 

Ken apologizing when he swept in to take the points by cleaning up a near-miss guess was kind of funny.

Brad missing the 22 DD was quite surprising.  And I wondered if they were going to subtract game two's negative score from game one's score for his match total, but it wouldn't have mattered, so they probably didn't give it much consideration.  I hope he has a better match tomorrow, to keep things as interesting as possible (and to let him save face).  I think it will be a challenge for him to shake off his third-place performance in two consecutive matches, but maybe it will also light a fire.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I got FJ, I got the nitwit and Le Monde TS (and I'm surprised both of those stumped them) and the "Good Day, Sir" TS, even though that one was a total guess based on the wording of the clue as I've never seen the film and never knew where the quote came from, and overall did a better job than last night of keeping up with their pace.

I would have been mad at myself if I missed "Good day, sir," because I've seen Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory a thousand times and know that scene almost word for word.

• Love 6

I'm rooting for Ken, but I want Brad to show his best, and that hasn't happened yet.

I know Brad is better than this.

I don't remember if I saw Brad's original run.

I was off on the DNA Daily Double, I said 44.  Had I been able to read the clue a few times, I probably would have realized I needed to divide that by 2.

Today was a lot harder for me.

I also watched the regular Jeopardy! today.  That music during Final Jeopardy is better.  They didn't need to have a new version, for this special event.

They can change the stage, but they don't need to change the music.

Also, the board fill music is different from what I remember.

This is the version I remember:

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe if I watched The Crown, I wouldn't have found the clips used in the clues ridiculously long (because the film clips in the second round didn't bug me), but I don't, so I did.

Even if you watched it, the questions, and answers, were long.  At least in my head, they were, "Antony Armstrong Jones Lord Snowdon" and "King Edward VIII Duke of Windsor."

• Love 3

On 1/8/2020 at 5:57 AM, JudyObscure said:

After Ken said he had never won against Brad and he really, really wanted to win this one, I couldn't help but start rooting for him.  Still.  James is adorable, I loved his "Ha, ha!" about Philadelphia and his big, gracious grin when he realized he had lost to Ken.  

I also liked James' follow up to Ken's comment - something about also never winning against Brad. I don't remember the exact phrasing, but it was gracious and self-deprecating.

I had only been a casual watcher until James' run last year. Now I DVR every episode. I'm loving the pace and skill - like watching athletes at the top of their sport competing against each other. It's a joy to watch, especially since the 3 of them seem to have genuine respect for one another. 

When you guys mention playing along at home, how do you keep track? 

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

If you can guess Final Jeopardy as soon as you see the category (women artists for example) you get an extra point.

We call this the "Daily Triple" where you can triple your score if your get it right without seeing the clue, but we also make up completely arbitrary scores at this point, instead of keeping track of right answers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Bliss said:

I'm interested in seeing how Brad does tomorrow night. I'm not rooting for him (in particular); however, I love a close race and am hoping this tournament goes the full 7 games... so, come on, Brad - pull up your big boy pants take this cement block and turn it into an opportunity. (Easy to say from the comfort of my living room.)

I hope Brad wins a game.  I'm just glad Ken won one, so it's not a blow out with one player winning the first 3 in a row.  Apparently I've been assuming James is going to win:)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kazza said:

My legal pad (not a lawyer), and a pen. I write down the TSs that I get, any category I clear and anything else I think of that pertains to the episode. 

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loved James giving him props, and then Ken's delivery on "I think I broke my buzzer" was perfect.  They were also all fun joking about the "all in" gesture being James's intellectual property (the only time that gesture hasn't annoyed the hell out of me).  And James telling Ken his FJ art was facing the wrong way.  I really enjoy the camaraderie among these three.

That seems to be one of the things that I’m enjoying most. It made the game seem so much more relaxed and fun. 

I did surprisingly well last night. I also thought what the heck when I was getting a TS and they weren’t. I got Good Day Sir, Le Monde, and the Gallatin River (my brother fly fishes). I had a good laugh at seeing the GOAT category. Seems like more than just the players are having a good time with this tournament. 

• Love 6

I had forgotten Brad was a college student when he first appeared on J! That made be wonder about his age now, which is 41. Ken is 45 and James is 35. So the comments about Brad slowing down due to age don't really work. I'm 100% Team Ken, but I hope Brad wins tonight just because his play so far hasn't been up to what we know he can do. Also that will mean at least one more night of this fascinating competition, which has been getting great ratings.

• Love 18
26 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm 100% Team Ken, but I hope Brad wins tonight just because his play so far hasn't been up to what we know he can do. Also that will mean at least one more night of this fascinating competition, which has been getting great ratings.

Yeah, what I’m rooting for the most is all 7 nights!

• Love 13
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I want James to win the tournament, but I really want each of them to win a set. They're all great players.

I was going to Like your post because I too want each of them to win a set, but I don't want James to win ultimately. I'm for the old-timer, Ken. 

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It made me sad that none of them knew, "Good day, sir!" from the best Willy Wonka movie.

Shortly followed by, "I SAID GOOD DAY!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 16
13 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Loving every minute. And, I cleared the Crown category!!

Me too!  I lose my mind whenever there's a royal category, because if it's anything from Queen Victoria to the present day, I know I've got it.  Love the Royal Family!  (Well, mainly just the Queen and the Cambridges lol)

My mother is very concerned about the way Alex looks.  I'd like to think it's the different lighting, but his coloring really does seem off.  It makes me sad.

Edited by TaraS1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, kazza said:

I don't worry about DDs.  Everything is just the dollar amount on the board. If I get it right, I add it, if I don't, I subtract.  Doesn't matter if I guess or not. Not knowing is wrong.  FJ is worth $10K, but I only lose $5K if nobody gets it right or someone else answers the same wrong answer I gave.  

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't worry about DDs.  Everything is just the dollar amount on the board. If I get it right, I add it, if I don't, I subtract.  Doesn't matter if I guess or not. Not knowing is wrong.  FJ is worth $10K, but I only lose $5K if nobody gets it right or someone else answers the same wrong answer I gave.  

Wow, you're strict! I would at least give myself the option to buzz in! If I played your way, I'd be in the red almost every game.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

I thought Brad got hosed on “ uncharacteristically “ when Alex jumped in too soon and thought they would address it .......

Agreed. I had the same thought.

There was another question Brad gave that I wondered about... wish I could remember the clue word for word - the category was the decades, and had to do with Columbus's last trans-Atlantic voyage. <I think.> I thought the question had to reference the century, such as "what is the 16th century?" and yet Brad's answer of "the 1500s?" was accepted. I probably misread as noone else has mentioned this.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Agreed. I had the same thought.

There was another question Brad gave that I wondered about... wish I could remember the clue word for word - the category was the decades, and had to do with Columbus's last trans-Atlantic voyage. <I think.> I thought the question had to reference the century, such as "what is the 16th century?" and yet Brad's answer of "the 1500s?" was accepted. I probably misread as noone else has mentioned this.

I noticed that too, but the category was decades and then they asked for the first decade in this century and they probably realized that the clue and the category were contradicting so they gave it to him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

My mother is very concerned about the way Alex looks.  I'd like to think it's the different lighting, but his coloring really does seem off.  It makes me sad.

I understand it could be his health, but it could be the makeup or lighting. At least that’s what I choose to think because I rue the day when...

• Love 8

Way back in the 80's there was a Jeopardy toy (for lack of a better word) created that you could keep track of your score on.  Looking at google, it seems there now could be an app you could download to keep score on if you were hardcore. 

• Useful 4
15 minutes ago, ellenr33 said:

I'm rooting for Ken. I just don't like James and I can't figure out why! I thought Brad would do better! I just want Ken to win against Brad. I root for the underdog! 

I think at this point Brad is the underdog.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I noticed that too, but the category was decades and then they asked for the first decade in this century and they probably realized that the clue and the category were contradicting so they gave it to him.

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I thought the question had to reference the century, such as "what is the 16th century?" and yet Brad's answer of "the 1500s?" was accepted. I probably misread as noone else has mentioned this.

Yes, as KatyM said, they were asking for the decade, and when AT hesitated when Brad said 1500, Brad clarified by saying the decade before 1510, or something similar.

I know ... another poorly written/stupid clue. Imagine that.

ETA: Sharpie66 said it better. Thank you!

No one else here was happy at the category of Goats? Just me? I had a herd of dairy goats for decades, started with a Saanen and Tog and one Nubian, then went to all Nubians. Nothing better than fresh milk and homemade cheese and custards without leaving the comfort of home. My best friend raised LaManchas that her daughters showed in 4H. That breed is very quiet whereas Nubians are very vocal. My goat kids used to jump onto the back of my Cheviot ram, then leap off into the air for sport. Jackson the ram seemed to enjoy the back scratches.

After Ken answered "I'm walkin' here" (which I referenced a while back in the Season thread as my fav movie quote), he said he broke his buzzer. And I wonder if he really did since he was not able to ring in after that.

I got easily the TS of Gallatin since Montana is my fav state, and my business trip to Bozeman was my favorite of my career (at that magazine).

The reading of Glenn Close's clue was so long it put me to sleep so I might have missed some categories after that. It needed to have a disclaimer, like it's okay to cook dinner or walk the dog during this clue, there's time.

ETA. I meant to say, I find Brad remarkably handsome. So he wins that contest in my book, hands down.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Wow, you're strict! I would at least give myself the option to buzz in! If I played your way, I'd be in the red almost every game.

I'm in the red more often than I would like.  And I always am in the red for the super hard stuff like this. I did make $800 in the first found of the second game and I considered that quite the accomplishment.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

No one else here was happy at the category of Goats?

I liked it and got most of the answers correct. It takes me back to when the barn had one called Gretchen. You’d better know where she was before getting up on the mounting block or raise your leg to get your foot into the stirrup to mount or boom. 

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

His coloring seems off to me, too. 

And add me to the list of those who don't like the think music for this tournament.

Cue conspiracy theories if Brad wins tonight.....

• Love 3

I don't keep score.

Categories in which the clues are read by someone famous or "famous" are OK in the tournament because these guys are fast enough to still clear the board.

I got "Good day, sir! (I said good day!)" because Jon Stewart used it often on The Daily Show. Willy Wonka was my introduction to Gene Wilder, who I adored, but that line never really stood out to me. Traumatized by those self-righteous orange-faced Ooompa Loompas, perhaps.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I'm sure I'm not the only one?... who wondered at first hearing of this tournament if it was in any way an audition 'test' for one of James/Ken/Brad to take on the role of host once Alex  decides to give up his reign. (oh gosh, I'll be a really big mess)

It was just a wonderment. A sort of gut feeling. My brain tells me they'll choose someone on more criteria than just smarts... like charm, attractiveness (not just physical), excellent intonation, etc.

Which leads me to my latest thought: If in fact it is an audition, Brad wins IMO. I admire Ken, I love James, and all 3 make me laugh. I simply think Brad is the most Alex-like of the 3. I admit I've been wondering what the gift is in this experience for Brad, if he happens to be in the dust as far as 'winning' goes - and I know this is just after 2 games and Brad could pull a reserved horseshoe out of his ass and win the next 3 games... but very doubtful.

If he gets 1/4 million for losing, and a contract for $10+ million/yr to host J!, he may be the real winner.

Just thinking out loud here...

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Cue conspiracy theories if Brad wins tonight.....

I think he could very possibly win a match if he answers his Daily Doubles correctly. Although, the first match seemed to have shaken him up a bit, and he wasn't on top of the buzzer as much in the second match. I think if he hits one Daily Double at the right time, and actually gets it right, he'd get the momentum to take at least one win.

6 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one?... who wondered at first hearing of this tournament if it was in any way an audition 'test' for one of James/Ken/Brad to take on the role of host once Alex  decides to give up his reign. (oh gosh, I'll be a really big mess)

It was just a wonderment. A sort of gut feeling. My brain tells me they'll choose someone on more criteria than just smarts... like charm, attractiveness (not just physical), excellent intonation, etc.

Which leads me to my latest thought: If in fact it is an audition, Brad wins IMO. I admire Ken, I love James, and all 3 make me laugh. I simply think Brad is the most Alex-like of the 3. I admit I've been wondering what the gift is in this experience for Brad, if he happens to be in the dust as far as 'winning' goes - and I know this is just after 2 games and Brad could pull a reserved horseshoe out of his ass and win the next 3 games... but very doubtful.

Brad would 100% make the best host out of the 3. He's well spoken and charismatic, and seems to have the best "people" skills out of the three. Ken would be my runner up, because he has a decent sense of humor and is friendly enough. No way could James pull off being host though. He's got this flat robotic mannerism about him (even though he can be quite funny!) they'd be better off having Watson host.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

Agreed that Brad could win a match, but then they'd each have one.  Maybe the conspiracy theories won't start until they each have two.  I know, no one's throwing a game or anything, but I'm sure some folks might think that.

Anyway, I am looking forward to tonight's match.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

You’d better know where she was before getting up on the mounting block or raise your leg to get your foot into the stirrup to mount or boom. 

My goats never did that (Gretchen must have been a mini, dairy goats are so gentle), but my ram Jackson knocked me down more than once when my back was turned. The only way to get his attention was to sock him on the end of his nose since you could break a hand smacking him on the head.

If I had an edge on one mill, no way would I toss a game to help anyone, friend or not. A conspiracy that J or K would do that to help B is ... well, insane. I'd win the mill, then invite the loser over for a weekend. Or buy him a nice suit and tie.

Speaking of, I liked how Brad's video showed him checking out what tie looked best. Good For Him!

ETA: Jackson quickly learned to run away and stay away as soon as he knocked me down.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's not just you. I watch The Crown, and the clips were ridiculously long. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

Interesting, too, to hear his pronunciation of Lancaster as "Lank-ster." I've never heard it said by a native before.

I went to college near Lancaster, PA. Whenever I hear "lan-cast-er" on TV I correct it (and then half the time they're talking about a different Lancaster that is actually pronounced that way).

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love all the kidding around. Because these guys are SO good and SO fast, there's time for it. If those current players on the regular show did that, we'd NEVER clear the board.

My biggest pet peeve with this game is when they don't clear the board because they're either being too slow to answer/choose the next clue, or because someone can't refrain from joking around. Especially when it's a literature or science category. (My other pet peeve is when Alex says there's less than a minute left and then makes extra comments about the answers.)

----------

So I missed last night, pulled it up on demand as soon as I got home from work, watched up through the Jeopardy round of Game 2, paused it to watch the regular game at 7:00, then I'll watch the rest of last night's game before tonight's comes on at 8 so I'll be all caught up.

----------

I wonder how long they spend on writing their names...(and I kinda love that Brad has not given in to the urge to get artistic with it; did Ken do that when he played originally? or is he just taking cues from James?).

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder how long they spend on writing their names...(and I kinda love that Brad has not given in to the urge to get artistic with it; did Ken do that when he played originally? or is he just taking cues from James?).

What I remember from Ken's original run is that he tried to write his name differently each game (although probably didn't start that until he'd been on for some time). I remember thinking, he's gonna run out of ideas!

I wonder if the TWOP Jeopardy forum still exists as an archive. He joined us for a time on that board while his run was airing, armed with snark, of course. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I went to college near Lancaster, PA. Whenever I hear "lan-cast-er" on TV I correct it (and then half the time they're talking about a different Lancaster that is actually pronounced that way).

That’s one of those names where you can tell if someone is “from here”

13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

----------

I definitely remember Ken with the “fancy” names during his original run. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I wonder if the TWOP Jeopardy forum still exists as an archive. He joined us for a time on that board while his run was airing, armed with snark, of course. 

I discovered TWOP (though never read the Jeopardy forum) a few months before it went offline. I was so sad. (Then I went looking for similar snarky recaps and found this place, but then they stopped doing recaps. But the forums are just as much fun.)

• Love 1

I felt extremely smart knowing the first FJ.  (I'm Canadian but I read the biographies of US presidents in my 1987 World Book encyclopedia non stop when I was a kid.)

Speaking of Canadians...Christopher Plummer category!  

Ken pretty much had it in the bag after the first game but look! Brad got TWO Daily Doubles! And got them right! 

Finally, aside that my brother and I combined on the second FJ (he got Lee, I got Cuaron), I would totally watch the Jeopardy! Comedy Hour starring the GHOST not named Pat Sajak.  (I admit I did tear up at that.) 

2 down, 1 to go for Ken.  But Brad finally has signs of life. See you all next game!

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 10

It's interesting to watch a game when the players and the host all have such a longstanding rapport with each other. This show hasn't historically had character dynamics of that sort, but these guys are regularly bantering with each other and with Alex.

• Love 16

Yay, Ken.  I do hope Brad can win a game.  Actually at this point, it'd be cool if he came back and won the next 3 and took the whole thing.  

I said black plague, too.  Although it was kind of a bone head answer.  Not in a high number clue during a supersmartperson tournament.

and, I don't remember what they were at this point, but 2 that James got wrong (and then Ken got right), I got right.  Does that make me smarter than James:)

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

That was wonderful to watch! Only one more game and Ken wins! 

If I could like this 3000 times, I would!

But I can't believe none of them got Morticia Addams or bring your own device.  Those seemed really easy to me.

I only managed half of each FJ.  I loved Alex's snark at James' second FJ response.  

Go, Ken!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Bliss said:

Thinking of it as an audition is some pretty far-out fan fiction, I think. But on the other hand, bringing Brad in to take over for Alex when the time comes... that really could work, the more I think about it. I'm not immediately against that choice.

• Love 11