Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E14: Island of the Idols Reunion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I honestly don't understand why I'm supposed to give a shit who Sia liked best every season or why that's award-worthy. I'd never even heard of her before she showed up in that weird hat a few seasons ago to throw money at Tai. 

To me, Sia will always be the soundtrack to the last 10 minutes of Six Feet Under, the most perfect ending to any TV show ever. 

I know that wasn't actually her doing, but anything else she does is second to me.

Edited by Special K
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

On the Sia money.. I agree that it is her money to dole out how she sees fit. No question.  I don't even think there is malice or racist intent in giving Jamal $15 and the other 2 $100k.  

However, my immediate thought on the optics (as a Black man) is that it makes it LOOK like she significantly looks at a Black man  as less value..  AGAIN.. I am not saying that is her intent.  But because she did so, we now have this race discussion on the matter.

I am sure Jamal would not agree but I think she would have been out of any heat for not giving Jamal anything at all..  She didn't have to and I certainly would not have cared if she didn't.  That would not have posed a problem period.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, Annamz said:

I thought the same thing about Sia's award! It's great that she gave him the 15,000 but why not just give them all the same? It's her money and she's free to do what she wants with it... but it's Sia... and she's not hurting for money. She could've even divided 200,000 into 3. It just seems weird how she did it. But again, it is nice that she did it at all. I guess I'm just being petty.

Why should anyone have any input into how Sia give out her money, other than Sia?

I can't speak for Sia, but I thought Janet was a heroic figure and the most deserving.  Elaine was a lot of fun as a player, and has had a difficult life, which was might be why she got $100K.  Jamal basically made one good, but kind of obvious comment in rebuking Aaron.  

At any rate, I see no reason that Sia should hand out her money equally, if she believes one person is more deserving than another.  

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Either way the optics on this are bad. It's not as if Survivor doesn't have enough PR problems this season. I don't understand why they continue to showcase "these are the players a random celebrity liked best this year" but if they're determined to keep doing it, the "Sia Award" needs better rules. 

I honestly don't understand why I'm supposed to give a shit who Sia liked best every season or why that's award-worthy. I'd never even heard of her before she showed up in that weird hat a few seasons ago to throw money at Tai. 

If the "optics on this are bad", then we have gone totally insane, as a nation.  Out of the generosity of her heart, Sia chose to give out a lot of money, to 3 people who had no entitlement to it, whatsoever.   

Everyone is entitled to say how THEY would have handed out the cash.  But, nobody has any right to criticize Sia, much less slander her a "racist" for handing out her money as she sees fit.  

It's not even like they were 3 people who did the same thing.  If they had all jointly or individually done the same good act (e.g., risked their lives to save another) maybe you could argue it is wrong to give the black man less.  But, they played a game, and behaved very differently.  

• Love 14
1 hour ago, simplyme said:
3 hours ago, MrsR said:

Amber was a last minute replacement for Sandra who turned out to have parasites from the previous season.

Fairplay went home with her? That's terrible! 

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Took me a minute but......so funny.  I have the hiccups.....🤣

51 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Why should anyone have any input into how Sia give out her money, other than Sia?

I can't speak for Sia, but I thought Janet was a heroic figure and the most deserving.  Elaine was a lot of fun as a player, and has had a difficult life, which was might be why she got $100K.  Jamal basically made one good, but kind of obvious comment in rebuking Aaron.  

I too thought Janet was heroic in standing up for the girls.  I was disappointed the other girls then backed down and were at some point eliminated.  I think Dan and his behavior and the response by Survivor and CBS changed the whole game.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

At any rate, I see no reason that Sia should hand out her money equally, if she believes one person is more deserving than another.  

I probably feel this way because I just came off a pretty bad season of Big Brother. I agree though that she is a generous person. She's going to be judged by everyone though because she does it at the finale. I still think it should have been done differently. Like someone suggested, maybe his should've been first and then later on another and so on. What I wish they'd bring back is America's Favorite Player. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

For the record, If Sia wants to offend me by giving me "only" $15,000 for doing nothing, while giving 2 other people $100,000 or $1,000,000 each, I will gladly accept.   

Ha!!! I can't argue with that! 😂

• Love 1

I guess Tommy was the least objectionable winner for me out those three. Dean kept mentioning how great he was for winning all blah, blah, blah and kept mentioning the Legacy Advantage even after being told it was totally fake and if he realizes it (maybe not until after watching it happen) was given to him to enable him to make a fool of himself and possibly get voted off. Noura is crazy for cocopuffs - she needs to keep a thought inside her head once in awhile. They are not all golden nuggets after all.

I am surprised that no one pointed out to Tommy when he used his excuse of "I am color blind" that once he found the symbol he could stop asking Dean for help. Simpleton. But it seems people are so anxious to prove how smart they are, they have to tell someone - which completely and instantly negates the wisdom. hrrmmm.

I thought the entire Kellee interview was weird. It felt like CBS never told her that she would have to do that. I was surprised - you'd think they'd want her to come off sounding prepared. But maybe they didn't want it to sound too prepared - which it would most likely have been. Not sure there was a perfect solution to that either.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, survivinmt said:

I am surprised that no one pointed out to Tommy when he used his excuse of "I am color blind" that once he found the symbol he could stop asking Dean for help. Simpleton. But it seems people are so anxious to prove how smart they are, they have to tell someone - which completely and instantly negates the wisdom. hrrmmm.

I surprised Jamal didn't chime in with "Don't give me that color blind crap!" 😃

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, survivinmt said:

I guess Tommy was the least objectionable winner for me out those three. Dean kept mentioning how great he was for winning all blah, blah, blah and kept mentioning the Legacy Advantage even after being told it was totally fake and if he realizes it (maybe not until after watching it happen) was given to him to enable him to make a fool of himself and possibly get voted off. Noura is crazy for cocopuffs - she needs to keep a thought inside her head once in awhile. They are not all golden nuggets after all.

I thought the entire Kellee interview was weird. It felt like CBS never told her that she would have to do that. I was surprised - you'd think they'd want her to come off sounding prepared. But maybe they didn't want it to sound too prepared - which it would most likely have been. Not sure there was a perfect solution to that either.

On the contrary. I posted an article from the NY Times in the media thread that reported Kellee retained counsel to ensure she would be able to speak freely last night. Kelee was just nervous.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

I did not enjoy the Kellee interview either.  I get why they felt they had to do it, but as a viewer it really brought down the mood of the usually upbeat reunion show.  Glad they kept it brief.

Tommy is a pretty bland winner.   There was a case to be made for Noura or Dean to win if only they were able to articulate it to the jury.  They were all equally mediocre.    

• Love 5

Because of everything that happened, I don’t recall that anyone has had the opportunity to ask Kellee why the hell she didn’t play at least ONE of her TWO freaking idols.  Imagine how different the entire rest of the season would have been.

• Love 11

If the "optics on this are bad", then we have gone totally insane, as a nation.  Out of the generosity of her heart, Sia chose to give out a lot of money, to 3 people who had no entitlement to it, whatsoever.   

Everyone is entitled to say how THEY would have handed out the cash.  But, nobody has any right to criticize Sia, much less slander her a "racist" for handing out her money as she sees fit.  

Well, sure. Sia is free to give money to whoever the hell she wants. But why is it a thing, on this show? What if a whole bunch of other celebrities decided to give money to their favorite players and they ran down the numbers on all of them? Let's see now. Sia liked Jamal and Janet and Elaine and gave them this much money, and Jennifer Aniston liked Dean and Jack and Aaron and gave them this much, and let's see, the Jonas Brothers liked Elaine too and gave her this much, and Tom Hanks really, really liked Karishma and is giving her a million, and Weird Al Yankovic liked Missy and gave her this much, and Dr. Phil really liked Tommy and Lauren and Janet and gave them each this much . . . 

You see where this is going. Anyone can give anyone money. I just don't understand how this Sia Award became A Thing, that they showcase, every season.  On this show.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well, sure. Sia is free to give money to whoever the hell she wants. But why is it a thing, on this show? What if a whole bunch of other celebrities decided to give money to their favorite players and they ran down the numbers on all of them? Let's see now. Sia liked Jamal and Janet and Elaine and gave them this much money, and Jennifer Aniston liked Dean and Jack and Aaron and gave them this much, and let's see, the Jonas Brothers liked Elaine too and gave her this much, and Tom Hanks really, really liked Karishma and is giving her a million, and Weird Al Yankovic liked Missy and gave her this much, and Dr. Phil really liked Tommy and Lauren and Janet and gave them each this much . . . 

You see where this is going. Anyone can give anyone money. I just don't understand how this Sia Award became A Thing, that they showcase, every season.  On this show.

It is extremely weird that this 1 person who has nothing to do with the show has so much actual effect on the show and what happens to the players afterward.

I'm fine with it, because free money for people who seem pretty good, so yay.  But, it is a very easy to thing to talk about and criticize because it's so freaking weird.

Imagine Rihanna handing out cash gifts to random people on Top Chef.  Imagine Avril Lavigne handing out cash gifts to random people on Project Runway.  It's weird.  It's fine.  But it's weird.  It's just as open to criticism as anything else.

The difference between $15K and $100K is enormous.  Of course people will comment on it!

I don't think it's insane to criticize.  It is literally a popularity contest for money.  People criticize those all of the time.  Why is being likeable or popular deserving of money?  Not everyone agrees with that.  So they can speak up.  Sia is an eccentric rich person giving out money for no really good reason.  Yay but also, huh?

Has Sia dug herself into a hole because she gave money to Tai that one time?  Did she give any money out last season?  I kind of doubt it, right?  So no.  She can happily watch some seasons without giving out money, so that's ok too.  I was scared she was trapped into doling out money every time.  I think when she decided to give money to Tai it felt really genuine.  Because she was so moved, and Tai was so out of the ordinary.  Now it's becoming really funny like she's pulling ideas of out of thin air to keep up appearances.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

I disagree. I can’t imagine thinking i have the right to comment on someone gifting money. I hope people stop any speculation or criticism, this is why we just can’t have nice things . It makes her happy to give away this money and it’s her money and her decision. Would you turn it down? I know i wouldn’t and I’d be greatful too. Sadly Jamal himself if way to classy to ever think twice about such a kindness . 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Do SURVIVORS really inspire people anymore?

This may be a little embarrassing, but there was a period a few years ago when I was dealing with a lot. My dad had a stroke and I remember having to call some people out for not helping when I needed it. SJDS was airing at the time and there was a point where I had to be a badass and thought, "Be a badass like Natalie."

She's still one of my favorite winners and I'll be rooting for her hard in S40, along with Yul, Jeremy and several other people who don't have the last name Mariano.

• Love 8

4 hours ago, tiredofwork said:

On the Sia money.. I agree that it is her money to dole out how she sees fit. No question.  I don't even think there is malice or racist intent in giving Jamal $15 and the other 2 $100k.  

However, my immediate thought on the optics (as a Black man) is that it makes it LOOK like she significantly looks at a Black man  as less value..  AGAIN.. I am not saying that is her intent.  But because she did so, we now have this race discussion on the matter.

I am sure Jamal would not agree but I think she would have been out of any heat for not giving Jamal anything at all..  She didn't have to and I certainly would not have cared if she didn't.  That would not have posed a problem period.    

I find it interesting that the racial component of Sia’s gift has been mostly brought up and discussed by non Black people..lol.   Haven’t seen any Black person accuse her of racism.  Even in the quoted post, race came to mind.    But then common sense took over and saw the situation for what it was.  A pop star making a generous donation.   No racism..lol.   

I expected Kellee to be more prepared for her spotlight.  I know she was nervous, and maybe she was limited by whatever legal agreement she has with the show.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

The thing that bothered me about the Kellee/Jeff interview was that Jeff never said the words I was waiting to hear-- we should never have put you in the position to have to decide.  Period.  Kellee was going to be blamed whatever her decision was.  Making her decide was going to affect other players either for the better or worse.  Production should have been swift in removing him and firm in pointing out the rule, leaving Kellee's hands clean in the matter.  

That's what bothered me too.  Jeff is the Executive Producer but still doesn't seem to get it. Was he asleep during the past 3 years with the MeToo coverage of people like Weinstein, Ailes, Lauer?

• Love 5

Rob C was at the taping. He said that they did the normal reunion and then cleared the stage so it was just Kellee and Jeff on the stage. The rest of the players went back stage. 

I thought they handled it fine at the reunion. It was awkward but we all expected that. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Did she give any money out last season?  I kind of doubt it, right?

She did, she gave Rick Devins 100k, I couldn't stand that guy, but it's her money, and she found him entertaining, so more power to her.

She offered Joe 15k, which he would only accept if she didn't mind if he gave it to charity. She didn't, and he did, that's our Joey Amazing.

She also gave Aurora 15k because she admired her for her experience in the foster care system.

That's two white players last season that she gave less than her top gift to. I don't know how she comes up with the figures, but I think it's nice of her, and it's kind of fun to hear about, to me at least.

It's the internet, so she's going to get pooped on by some people for it, she's rich and famous (although, I had never heard of her until she popped up on Survivor, and still never hear of her except for these reunion shows), so she probably has a thick enough skin to endure it, I doubt she reads stuff like this anyway, for exactly this reason.

• Love 9

According to the internet, Sia is worth about $20-25M.

Last season she also had two tiers of prizes: Rick Devens got 100K, and Joe and Aurora got 15K each. Joe and Aurora money was given after the show.

I kind of like that this is a "thing". All the recipients are generally popular and I like to see them get all excited.  Never thought this could be a problem. 

Edit because BigRedCheese just said the same thing at the same time and did it much better

Edited by zscore
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I didn't see Kellee last night, but based on her prior comments, I agree.

In fact, from what was shown, I don't think she was a true complaintent.  She was asked if she wanted production to step in, and she said no.  What she did was more like venting than filing a formal complaint.

Kellee said in an interview at EW that when she found out Dan was removed from the game, she was shocked because she didn't think that was even an option. So maybe when production asked if they should step in, she didn't think they were asking about removing Dan, she thought they were going to just talk to him or something?

5 hours ago, princelina said:

Thanks guys!  I know it - I just think she should have been way way way WAY lower on the list to be picked for All Stars.  And then she did nothing for a second time and won!  Then I watched them on the Amazing Race and she was just as useless there.  Oh well - I'm sure she's a good wife and mother 😄 

I remember hearing that back then Amber went to lots or survivor "events" and was willing to do PR appearances for CBS. So they just liked her. But I feel like sometimes the random people are the ones that win. On Game Changers people were surprised Sarah was brought back and she won.

I thought Amber played a good game in All Stars though.

3 hours ago, survivinmt said:

What's weird is there was an article in the media thread saying that Kellee had a lawyer go to CBS to make sure she had a chance to be heard. So I would have expected her to be more prepared, but maybe she was just nervous.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Because of everything that happened, I don’t recall that anyone has had the opportunity to ask Kellee why the hell she didn’t play at least ONE of her TWO freaking idols.  Imagine how different the entire rest of the season would have been.

Dalton Ross asked her back when she was voted out. She said she used Lauren's face as a benchmark because she thought Lauren had a terrible poker face. But Lauren convinced her she was safe.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

If I remember correctly Amber wasnt a first choice. Some others like Elizabeth From the same season were asked first and turned it down

10 hours ago, MrsR said:

Amber was a last minute replacement for Sandra who turned out to have parasites from the previous season.

What I read aligns more with the first comment: that Amber was filling an “eye candy” slot that was first offered to another contestant who turned it down.  But then again, maybe Sandra was the eye candy!  I do find her delicious.

I’m really looking forward to next season, and I don’t think they could have found a better theme (and group of players) to cleanse the palate from the rotted table scraps we just ingested.

Someday, I’m still hoping we get a season of First Boots (go, Francesca! Twice!), although I’d also settle for Who’s Her Favorite: Island of Sia Winners.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I've always thought a season of first boots would fun, and fair.  First boots from each tribe would qualify, not just first boots of the season.  I think oddball white women over 40 would be overly represented though.  I've thought that would be a true redemption season.

I've had this thought ever since the Australia season (#2, right?) when Jerry Manthey falsely accused Kel of having and eating beef jerky, and he was first out of his tribe due to her machinations.  I thought that was supremely unfair.  It did unmistakably establish Jerry as a bitch of the first order.  She had no reason to do that.

Remind me again, who was first out of each tribe this time?  Weren't they both kind of strong potential contenders?  That is sort of the difference between the old and new strategy.  In the original, before the idolpalooza days, tribes ditched the weak and annoying in hopes of keeping the tribe strong to avoid tribal council.  The first out after the merge, who didn't go to the jury, was always a strong player, because you didn't want them going on an individual immunity streak.  Nowadays, you don't give a rip about tribal immunity because everyone figures they can poke around camp and find a hidden immunity idol and be safe, so the middle players ditch the strong and keep the goats in a big gamble they can surf a social wave to the end.

The latter strategy gave us the most boring final three in Survivor history ever.

There's much to bitch about both strategies.

• Love 9

IIRC Survivor has always covered any sort of feel good "Someone gave one of our castaways money!" I think they just consider it interesting and good publicity. 

I don't remember the details, but way back in China there was some to do where Denise claimed her school didn't want her interacting with the kids anymore because she was too popular and blah blah so they changed her job. I seem to recall she got money. (I also seem to recall that afterwards there were accusations that she was lying.)

• Love 2

Isn’t Sia the one that went to a Walmart this past Thanksgiving without her wig and claimed to be a recent lottery winner and then paid for everyone’s Thanksgiving groceries?  She seems like an amazing and generous person. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sia-undercover-walmart-pays-groceries-180514158.html

Jamal may have only gotten 15k, but that is still 15k more than Noura, Missy, Aaron etc.. got. 

Sia giving money to her favorite survivor contestants each season is a bit random and odd and could affect how people play the game, so I can see why some people are critical of it, but it seems like her intentions are good and I’m sure the recipients appreciate it.

Edited to add link and to add that she also did the same thing at a TJMaxx, as mentioned in above link.

Edited by EVS
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

The winner never visited Rob and Sandra to receive their advice, thus rendering the primary purpose of the season's theme moot.  However, the other two reasons behind Rob and Sandra's presence did work: entertainment (they're much better TV than 95% of Survivor contestants) and advertising for S40.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

The winner never visited Rob and Sandra to receive their advice, thus rendering the primary purpose of the season's theme moot.  However, the other two reasons behind Rob and Sandra's presence did work: entertainment (they're much better TV than 95% of Survivor contestants) and advertising for S40.

That whole thing makes me wonder if they were originally going to be more of a part of the season somehow, but the weird events that unfolded pushed them in the background. I was so confused when at the end they were just like "hey it's us! alright seeya!"

That was it? hahaha

I will say, I'd much rather have a gimmick that doesn't serve much of a purpose than one that overwhelms the entire flow of the season.

Edited by huskerj12
  • Love 11
24 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I would have been happy if they had skipped the IOI lessons, but I enjoyed them as the Statler and Waldorf of tribal council.  I wish they could do that every season. 

Edited by EVS
To fix spelling of ‘council’.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

To be clear, I'm very much on Kellee's side in this whole thing, and am not among those criticizing her or calling her annoying. I just feel that Jeff was being supportive and helpful in this specific situation. He gave her time to think, and stepped in when she understandably faltered. I found it to be a nice gesture in this season of unpleasantness. But I understand those who view it differently.

I agree that Jeff was just being helpful but I also think the format made it so much more awkward than it needed to be.  At first, Jeff just said for Kelly to talk, vent, whatever she wanted....which is a nice concept, but it's almost like he expected to Kellee to just launch into a monologue or something.  Instead, there was all this awkwardness while Kellee tried to figure out what to say.  It probably would have been much easier if Jeff had just asked questions and let her answer, as opposed to expecting her to just give some sort of speech without being asked anything first.  A conversation needs 2 people so I think Jeff was trying to help.

33 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't think you even need to be her friend.   She hands out cash to perfect strangers.  😃

I have often read stories about Sia and her insane generosity.  She truly is a wonderful person, I just don't think the Sia Award should be an actual show-sanctioned thing.  Let her do it on her own time and God bless her for it but it should be a separate entity from CBS.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 11
On 12/19/2019 at 7:33 AM, marys1000 said:

And I too find Kellee annoying somehow.  Aware of that I'm trying not to let it color my opinions. 

While noone should have to, she did have some other options.  She could have confronted Dan a second time, in front of the tribe and had it out publically.  I would rather she handled it that way.  

Kelle talked to Dan on the beach, unfortunately using "like" about every other word, in a sorrowful pose. It was pathetic. I imagined how Sandra would've handled this touchy subject: nice, yet funnysnark, no nonsense tone and confident body language. 

I've been binging YouTube clips from past seasons. A horrible female to male harassment was Colby and Sugar. She chased him around the shelter all night, quietly time begging him, like some kind of fim noir scene, to "go back in the corner where we were..." Colby ends up sitting by the fire until who knows what time, and she's right there. 

On 12/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, Bryce Lynch said:

They could at least give them bathing suits.  That would provide the same level of sex appeal with a much lower sleaze level.    I think eye candy wrapped in relatively clean swim suits is more appealing than in dirty underwear.  

ITA! I really don't like the "underwear men", which the women copied soon after. I do not want to see Boston Rob in dirty saggy underwear! 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

As a huge fan,  like Sia, I love she rewards her favorite  players.

As a huge fan, like Sia, I don't understand why a random person who has nothing to do with the show takes up time on the official CBS reunion.  She has nothing to do with the show or CBS or Survivor.  She's simply a fan.  Good for her that she's so generous but even Probst said that the Sia Award is a weird part of the show.  

• Love 7

I did enjoy seeing Elaine and Janet's reactions to receiving the Sia money -- they were bright spots in an otherwise dismal season.

I did wonder how much of the last episode Sia got to see, and whether she was influenced at all by social media.

Sandra's comment about Tommy always being named by visitors to the IotI as their ride or die, or some variant of that, seemed to come out of nowhere. Because the way Tommy was edited, we didn't see that social game, so to get it after the fact was....odd. Like, even the show is still trying to make sense of his win.

That being said, Tommy did answer really well at FTC (how many times did he work in that he's a 4th grade teacher?) especially to the question about lines, and his slam about how he wasn't "chillin" -- (heh, I really didn't want smarmy Dean to win). About the only people not related to or depending on Tommy for a grade who were happy about his win were the people who predicted it based on how he was edited, far far away from anything to do with Dan. (Not even his moment defending Janet at that tribal, which I wonder was what he was referring to about bullying)

• Love 3
On 12/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, RescueMom said:

I wonder if Jeff could have been presented it a little differently - like announce Elaine's and Janet's awards first, then something like "and even though he was around for a shorter time this season, Sia wanted to recognize Jamal with $15K as well."  Maybe wouldn't have made a difference but I think a few PR minds could have spun things a little better than what happened. 

I agree, I think Elaine and Janet were such strong players and true role models for women, that they received the Sia fan-favorite $.  Jamal (from my home state along with Elizabeth and now apparently Jack) was likely acknowledged for all of his insightful comments in the Kellie elimination telling (Aaron?) that just because he didn't know about it doesn't mean it didn't happen, and talking to Jack about the implied racism of his comment and having a meaningful dialogue instead of just being a hothead and getting upset. I love Jamal, I'd listen to him all day if he had a radio show or a podcast 🙂

• Love 7

That reunion was Balls, as it always is. As soon as I saw all those kids in the audience, I figured they'd gloss over the Dan debacle and they pretty much did. (Jeff: "We're sorry." Kellee: "😕") Instead it was mostly about how kids want to grow up to be ... Lauren? Um, okay. Was there someone missing besides Dan, Elizabeth, and Jack? I thought I only counted sixteen people, but it seems like they tried hard not to show everyone at once so they could disguise how many people were missing, so I might have missed one.

I felt bad for Noura when the third vote was read and it wasn't for her and she realized that meant she'd been shut out. I was surprised to find myself rooting for Dean, but I'd take Noura over Tommy any day.

Rob's gray hair and extreme Dad bod was comforting and depressing at the same time. I adored seeing Amber and her four mini-mes all lined up beside her. I always liked those two as a couple, and I'm another one who has a VHS tape of their wedding in some forgotten packing box somewhere in my house.

18 hours ago, simplyme said:

IIRC Survivor has always covered any sort of feel good "Someone gave one of our castaways money!" I think they just consider it interesting and good publicity. 

I don't remember the details, but way back in China there was some to do where Denise claimed her school didn't want her interacting with the kids anymore because she was too popular and blah blah so they changed her job. I seem to recall she got money. (I also seem to recall that afterwards there were accusations that she was lying.)

That one turned out to be embarrassing all the way around. I might have some of the details wrong, but as I recall, at the reunion, Denise said she got demoted from lunch lady to janitor because she'd been gone from work for so long to play the game and then made an open plea to any schools who might be hiring lunch ladies. Later in the show, Jeff announced that Mark Burnett called him from the Bat Phone or whatever to say that he was personally giving Denise $50K. In the ensuing few days, Denise's school got so many angry phone calls and whatnot from fans that they were compelled to issue a public statement that not only was Denise not demoted, she had applied for and gotten the janitor job, and that it paid more than the lunch lady job. Denise sort of apologized ("I didn't mean to mislead anyone"), and I think said she wouldn't take the money, but that's probably what killed Burnett or anyone else connected with the show from reaching into their own pockets.

And the fan favorite prize went away after Sprint stopped sponsoring the show, which I'm guessing is partly because of declining ratings and partly because product placement isn't that effective anymore. The players are no longer going to get all excited because OMG This Phone Is Also A Camera.

The Sia prize is nice for the winners, but I agree with @Rachel RSL that it's a little weird for what's essentially a random albeit rich fan to reward a random player. She's inserting herself into a show she has nothing to do with. If she sponsored a prize based on a viewer vote, that would be less odd, but I can understand that she wouldn't want to run the risk that someone heinous gets her money.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

And the fan favorite prize went away after Sprint stopped sponsoring the show, which I'm guessing is partly because of declining ratings and partly because product placement isn't that effective anymore. The players are no longer going to get all excited because OMG This Phone Is Also A Camera.

Ok you guys, you are ALL gaslighting me LMAO! I knew I wasn’t going crazy. There was a big discussion about the Fan Fave award in the merge episode thread here. @fishcakes, you even asked if voting was open yet because you wanted to vote for Janet.

Your gaslighting has failed! 😂

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • LOL 5

G

On 12/19/2019 at 8:28 AM, AZChristian said:

Here's my view of the sexual touching situation. The stricter rules and protection should have happened the day that Richard Hatch rubbed his naked genitals against Sue in full view of the cameras in the middle of a challenge. He should have been walked off the set right then and there. Survivor could have been a good example of how to stop unacceptable behavior instead of now trying to impress people all these years later.

I totally agree and have said this for years.  Richard Hatch was  allowed to prance around naked.  Men in their Jocky underwear and women in their bras and matching panties.  To me,  they're (CBS) asking for a sexual misconduct accusation.  I have read that production supplies the clothing they are to wear.  

My dad's was a touchy person.  Nothing sexual,  putting an arm in someone's shoulder, hugging. He was the president of a division of a major pharmaceutical company.  I am actually still friends with his secretary from the 70's, she was 19 at the time, I was 14 and thought she was so much older and mature.  I asked her the other day if she was ever uncomfortable with dad "touching" her or felt threatened or heard anyone else express this.  She said never.  I'm a huggy person. 

I would have thought that CBS would have been more aware of this type of a situation after Les Moonves controversy. 

• Love 5
On 12/19/2019 at 9:48 AM, Special K said:

I am not a prude, but I still find it appalling that an older married man was spooning so intimately with and stroking the bodies of young attractive women he had only known a couple days/weeks, let alone touching them after they tell him to stop. If he really doesn't see that that is wrong, there really is no hope for him.

No kidding.  I am an older married man myself (34 years today, as a matter of fact) and I’d be scared shitless to pull any of that crap, for fear my wife would  drop me in my tracks - with a gun I bought her.  

On 12/19/2019 at 2:45 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't understand why they continue to showcase "these are the players a random celebrity liked best this year" but if they're determined to keep doing it, the "Sia Award" needs better rules. 

Something like -  Sia can give however much of Sia’s money Sia wants, to whoever Sia damn well wants?  😁

IMHO (a) any other “rules” would be immaterial, and (b) I’d be curious to hear who you think has standing to dictate to Sia where she can or can’t gift her own money.

Edited by Nashville
Clarity
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 12/19/2019 at 6:48 PM, iMonrey said:

I just don't understand how this Sia Award became A Thing, that they showcase, every season.  On this show.

IIRC you can thank Mark the Chicken.  Sia has apparently been a long-time fan of Survivor, was part of the studio audience for the Kaôh Rōng season’s reunion show - the season where Tai went to such extraordinary lengths to protect Mark - and spontaneously decided mid-show to gift both Tai individually, and the charity of his choice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Denise's school got so many angry phone calls and whatnot from fans that they were compelled to issue a public statement that not only was Denise not demoted, she had applied for and gotten the janitor job, and that it paid more than the lunch lady job

My memory of that is that the principal of the school saw it, and her jaw dropped. A day or two later, Denise appeared on the CBS Morning Show with the principal, and the principal explained that Denise had applied for the janitor job and got it, like a year or so before she was even on Survivor. She said Denise was well aware of how to apply for open positions if she wants to do that for the lunch lady position. Denise apologized, and said she was donating the money to charity, she didn't look happy about it, and I think she was basically told by Burnett that she would be doing that.

If it bothered  me that much, I'd shut it off, before Sia awarded  the money.

This. I kind of enjoy the Sia thing, but there's plenty of things that they do on the reunion show that bother the crap out of me, talking to kids in the audience, bringing out Kevin Hart, who has obviously never seen an episode of Survivor in his life, to promote a new show, etc. But not enough to shut it off I guess, lol. 

Edited by BigRedCheese
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 12/19/2019 at 4:16 PM, Bryce Lynch said:

Well, she did it publicly so!

On 12/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, RescueMom said:

I wonder if Jeff could have been presented it a little differently - like announce Elaine's and Janet's awards first, then something like "and even though he was around for a shorter time this season, Sia wanted to recognize Jamal with $15K as well."  Maybe wouldn't have made a difference but I think a few PR minds could have spun things a little better than what happened. 

Exactly this. Or, even better, it could have just not been announced at all and done privately like what happened with Joe and Aurora last season. I don't really care if Sia gives people money. I think it's pretty awesome really and she seems like a genuinely generous person but like @Rachel RSL said, it just doesn't work to have it be a part of the show. Just let her privately give her faves money.

13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

It was funny during the whole Tribal Council [Tommy and Dead] were going after each other hard and yet high fiving each other.

Ugh I hated that shit. 

• Love 7