Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E14: Island of the Idols Reunion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

!!!!!!!!!

Did I see Yul in the preview?  Please tell me I saw Yul.

The problem with a winners season is I can rattle off how many of them I never want to see again like Ben, Parvati, Sandra, Mike (? I think he was one of the annoying ones) and Tony.  Fuck Tony.

• Love 16

Wonder why Jack couldn’t make it?  But how cute he and Jamal are roomies now.  And Jamal in specs - ROWR.

I did see Aaron, but were Missy and Elizabeth there?

I need to go on Survivor and make sure you all love me so I can get some of that sweet Sia cash.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

!!!!!!!!!

The problem with a winners season is I can rattle off how many of them I never want to see again like Ben, Parvati, Sandra, Mike (? I think he was one of the annoying ones) and Tony.  Fuck Tony.

I don't know if we saw him, but we definitely heard him in a voiceover. 

Also, and I have read the cast list elsewhere, if it's any consolation, Mike (the winner of Worlds Apart who sounded like Patty/Selma from the Simpsons) isn't on this season. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Lauren, Dean and Noura all looked a hundred times better on the island...especially Lauren.

If I was Jamal I'd feel gyped that his "feel good" espisode wasn't enough to warrant $100,000

Yeah for Janet getting the 1K based on integrity.

Nora ARGUING with the jury...now that's always a winning strategy.

I don't really want too touch to much on the Dan affair because its just too controversial for a message board where emotions run high. I will say it was like Dan who? until the reunion as his banishment was completly glossed over as the episode opened and the jury including Kelly didn't react to his disapearance.

That whole final segment with Jeff and Kelly aired in a world where we are supposed to forget that Jeff dated a castaway named Julie and that unless I am mis remembering this he bribed Jenna Morasco and a blond to strip out of their bikini tops for peanut butter! It all seemed disingenous in light of those and other glaring incidents like "grinding".

Speaking of things we are suppose to forget...are we to pretend we didn't hear Krishma describe her husband as little more than a roommate? That went at odds with Jeff trying to amp  up the hug at the family reuunion. Maybe he was trying to help save her marriage.

Do SURVIVORS really inspire people anymore? If you believe everyone's press tonight they do.

Janet, Elaine and Lauren seem a lock for another appearance down the road. Speaking of which:

I was cringing at the idea that they are bringing Rob and Sandra back yet again! And worse a lot of cringy winners like Tony the Cop as well. It could possibly be one of the worst seasons ever. How much better would a season of first bootees be? A lot better I tell you.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Especially since so many who hated them from All Stars sneered that it was all a showmance and they'd be over in six months. 

And damn, Amber looks amazing for having had four children. Girl looks like she's barely aged and she's still as tiny as she was back then.

Yeah, I was one of those people lol Who needs The Bachelor?  If your looking for real love, any other reality show seems to be the way to go.

I agree about Amber.  She doesn't look any different than when she first played.  Assuming Survivor is still on when their oldest turns 18, think they will do another Blood vs Water season to complete the Mariano circle?  

• Love 8

Kim, Rob, Amber, Sophie, Danni, Sandra, Ben, Natalie Anderson,  Michelle,  Wendell, Jeremy, Tyson, Adam, Yul, Parvati, Ben.  

Ethan.  Denise.  Sarah.

They added like 4 million names at the end there so fast.  WTF?  I definitely don't have all of it.

Danni looked really hot.  

I've always loved Tony.  So I'm happy.

Why does Parvati look so young?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wonder why Jack couldn’t make it?  But how cute he and Jamal are roomies now.  And Jamal in specs - ROWR.

Elizabeth opted not to go.  I've read that she's gotten some death threats.  It sounds like Jack opted not to go in an act of solidarity, as Elizabeth is his girlfriend.  

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I need to go on Survivor and make sure you all love me so I can get some of that sweet Sia cash.

Jack is currently dating Elizabeth and the theory is that he skipped the Reunion to support her. But that is just people guessing since neither one of them has said anything on social media.

Missy was there.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Now I know why Kellee didn't get the Sia money.

She clearly got the CBS money.

I can only dream that's true.  But whatever, Sia could have still ponied it up.  I don't get what Jamal, Janet, or Elaine did that outweighs Kellee, but I am not a pop star.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Yeah, I was one of those people lol

Well I mean to be fair, as much as I personally adored Rob and Amber and their love story (I fully own up to watching the wedding), I can see why some had a healthy skepticism about their relationship lasting, based on how they got together.

I remember the ones who didn't just actively hate them, thinking it would be a case of they got caught up in the situation and all the attention and maybe in the real world it would fizzle. I think when I knew for sure they were real, was when Alicia said in a post-season interview that it was definitely very real when the interviewer asked her if their relationship was a showmance.

Because considering how much Alicia couldn't stand those two by the end of All Stars, I imagined she would not have said that if she didn't really believe it. 

• Love 6

Well, Probst at least projected sincerity. That had to count for something. And while he and Kellee had a meaningful segment, having her in the chair next to her made me cringe. Not her, mind you . . . but shoving her in a spotlight like that, as Probst tries to show that he could do a talk show, and this time do it right.

At least the Reunion was blessedly short. Tommy got patted on the head, Elaine and Janet got love from the audience (probably filled with interns, but it should still count), Jamal got to be eloquent, Dan was choking on niblets because he was sent that deep into the proverbial cornfield, and Noura kept trying to signal her home planet that her mission was over and she was ready to come home.

Next season? Could be awesome, could be awful . . . more like S38 that IOTI. My early favorites: Yul, Natalie, Sandra. Yul probably made his own life while Ozzy kept coming up short, we can speculate whether Nadiya is playing under her twin sister's name, and Sandra is queen. And if she wins her third title, they may as well end the series right there.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

One thing that does interest me as is how some of these winners who we haven't seen in years (in Ethan case about 17 or so) and how they play this time around.  Parvati was a 25 year old party girl living it up in LA when she won. Now she is a 37 year old married mother of a baby girl. Should be interesting.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, LanceM said:

One thing that does interest me as is how some of these winners who we haven't seen in years (in Ethan case about 17 or so) and how they play this time around.  Parvati was a 25 year old party girl living it up in LA when she won. Now she is a 37 year old married mother of a baby girl. Should be interesting.

That is a good point.  Parvati cannot play the same strategy that she played then.  She has a spouse to go home to.
Everyone is older.  in Ethans’  case.... a cancer survivor.  

i may not watch though as this season  may have  jumped the shark. 

Did I understand Jeff at the reunion... they didn’t tell the cast exactly why they were being met with individually? So they didn’t actually ask ‘ do you have a problem with Dan touching you or anyone else?  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well I mean to be fair, as much as I personally adored Rob and Amber and their love story (I fully own up to watching the wedding), I can see why some had a healthy skepticism about their relationship lasting, based on how they got together.

I remember the ones who didn't just actively hate them, thinking it would be a case of they got caught up in the situation and all the attention and maybe in the real world it would fizzle. I think when I knew for sure they were real, was when Alicia said in a post-season interview that it was definitely very real when the interviewer asked her if their relationship was a showmance.

Because considering how much Alicia couldn't stand those two by the end of All Stars, I imagined she would not have said that if she didn't really believe it. 

I watched the wedding too. I still have it on tape somewhere (I have a hard time throwing things out. It's a problem.) Their girls are adorable.

Having not watched much of the "new school" seasons, I'm going into S40 at a huge disadvantage as to who much of those players are and how they played their games. Yes, I could go watch but when it's starting in 6 weeks there's just no way I'm doing that. And I also feel that the newer winners have an advantage over the older winners. Not just the age, but the idols and all of the stupid hidden twists. I long for the pure days of no idols.

1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

Did I understand Jeff at the reunion... they didn’t tell the cast exactly why they were being met with individually? So they didn’t actually ask ‘ do you have a problem with Dan touching you or anyone else?  

We heard this from Aaron in interviews already. He had no idea what the individual meeting was about. Basically just, do you feel safe? We're here for you blah blah blah.

The whole 1:1 with Kellee was awkward and uncomfortable. I felt so bad for her. And I don't believe for a second that anything will change. So stop patting yourself on the back and giving yourself kudos, Jeff. And god, did he look scary or what? What the hell was wrong with his face?

Thank god this season is over. Let's forget it ever happened. And unlike everyone else, I'm fine with Rob coming back as much as he wants.

• Love 21

A 3 hour show took me about 30 minutes. What a waste of a season and what a load of crap. They addressed the Dan issue about like I address raw onions placed on my burger in error. I take them off my burger, preferably using a napkin, and move them far away from me until I can place them in the trash. In other words I don’t really handle them. Yes, I’m still angry. 

I wouldn’t know a Sia song if i heard it but good for the folks that got her personal awards! 

I’m cautiously optimistic about next season. I think it’ll be great, or really bad, or maybe mediocre. Okay, so I don’t have a clue, but I’m more interested in the thought of it than I have been the last half of this trash season. 

• Love 14
32 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Elizabeth opted not to go.  I've read that she's gotten some death threats.  It sounds like Jack opted not to go in an act of solidarity, as Elizabeth is his girlfriend.  

It is pretty terrible that she is getting death threats. What she did was wrong, but threatening people is wrong too.

Social media makes people think they can say whatever they want without regard for how it impacts others.

I guess they had to up the prize for next season to get some of these people to come back. Same with using Edge of Extinction. I remember Parvati saying that she was never going to come back, and didn't Yul turn it down before? I agree it will be interesting seeing some people who haven't played in a long time. Also to see how people deal with Rob and Amber playing....is it fair to have a married couple play together? 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Well, that sucked. But the horror of Tommy winning was somewhat leavened by Sia's gifts, thank god!

Thank you Sia for making Elaine cry with gratitude. Who would've thought Sia would be the savior of Survivor. It took the bad taste out of my mouth for a bit.

And Janet's gallant integrity move was vindicated.  But the show should have specifically addressed that.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

Also to see how people deal with Rob and Amber playing....is it fair to have a married couple play together? 

I like to think the other winners will want to vote off one of them right away.

Always split up couples.  Survivor 101.

• Love 22
50 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

That whole final segment with Jeff and Kelly aired in a world where we are supposed to forget that Jeff dated a castaway named Julie and that unless I am mis remembering this he bribed Jenna Morasco and a blond to strip out of their bikini tops for peanut butter! It all seemed disingenous in light of those and other glaring incidents like "grinding".

Well they were on the stumps and he was bribing them off with peanut butter.  They were the ones who said "I'd strip naked for that" and then did it before jumping off - the peanut butter was on offer for anyone who stump-jumped.  They chose to do the stripping.  Trying to make a name for themselves in the early days of reality tv 😄 

1 minute ago, PaperTree said:

I like to think the other winners will want to vote off one of them right away.

Always split up couples.  Survivor 101.

Sez BRob.  Hee.  I didn't hate them from their season, but I remember it was the first All-Stars, and I am still asking anyone who will listen - how on earth was Amber ever an All Star?  IMO she never should have been cast on the All Stars to begin with.

I'm super-excited for season 40!  I already knew what it was from reading here so I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by it!  😄 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Why even have the non jury at the reunions?

They didn't talk and I didn't even remember who they were. There was one girl on the back row I had no clue.

2 minutes ago, princelina said:

how on earth was Amber ever an All Star?  IMO she never should have been cast on the All Stars to begin with.

She wasn't first choice. Someone turned it down and she replaced them.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It is pretty terrible that she is getting death threats. What she did was wrong, but threatening people is wrong too.

Social media makes people think they can say whatever they want without regard for how it impacts others.

I guess they had to up the prize for next season to get some of these people to come back. Same with using Edge of Extinction. I remember Parvati saying that she was never going to come back, and didn't Yul turn it down before? I agree it will be interesting seeing some people who haven't played in a long time. Also to see how people deal with Rob and Amber playing....is it fair to have a married couple play together? 

Not only that but there are rumors that atleast 4 players were paid 100k just to get them out there to play.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Rachel RSL said:

Ok, I have to admit that I was wrong. I actually think CBS and Probst handled that reunion show and the Dan issue very well. I appreciate that they acknowledged that they screwed up big time, now to see if they follow through. So much for the boycott rumors. It looked like everyone was there except Elizabeth. (Unless I just didn’t see her.)

I still think the Sia Money is a ridiculous addition to the show but I’m going to openly be a hypocrite here and say how happy I am that she gave so much money to such good people. Am I going crazy or wasn’t there supposed to be a fan fave award this season?

I want to hate the concept of next season simply because it means Sandra will no longer be the only multiple-time winner (unless she wins again) but, honestly, I am so excited to see some of these people again. I mean, Yul, you guys! YUL!!!!

And Danni.  Finally someone from Guatemala.  And also Yul.  I freaking love Yul.  I do wish we had some more old school winners, but looking at who they had to choose from, I guess I'm not surprised.  

They haven't done a fan award in years, after Sprint stopped sponsoring it.  I didn't hear anything about it happening this season.  I guess Sia sort of took over the fan vote role, except it's her votes only.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

!!!!!!!!!

Yes you saw Yul and that means it will be awesome.  Seriously 2/3 of my trinity of favorite winners are going to be on next season.  So while I am annoyed that EOE is back, at least Kim and Yul are back as well.  Now if they could have gotten Earl that would have made it great.

Also, I am glad to see there are people who are not Parvati fans on here.  I often feel that I am on an island of one when I say I dislike her.  What I never got is people despise Russell, yet love her but I find them both to be comparable in how cruel they were.  Yes Parvati is beautiful and Russell looks like a troll that lives under the bridge, so maybe that is why she gets a pass.

2 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Speaking of things we are suppose to forget...are we to pretend we didn't hear Krishma describe her husband as little more than a roommate? That went at odds with Jeff trying to amp  up the hug at the family reuunion. Maybe he was trying to help save her marriage.

The whole Kelley segment bothered me because it happened in the first place.  But even more so because of what happened between Hatch and Sue during All-Stars.  That was how many years ago and they still did not know how to handle a situation like that.

I was thinking the same thing when Krishma was gushing over her roommate/husband.

1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

They didn't talk and I didn't even remember who they were. There was one girl on the back row I had no clue.

Are you talking about the woman with the blonde curly hair that was sitting next to the guy that got eliminated first?  Because if so you and I are in the same boat.  I was sitting there thinking, "Who the hell is she?"

Did Jamal hop into a time machine and go back to 1986 to borrow clothes from Don Johnson?  His clothes looked very Miami Vice like.

Edited by BK1978
Because it is clothes not close...I have to read what I right before I post...
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, BK1978 said:

Are you talking about the woman with the blonde curly hair that was sitting next to the guy that got eliminated first?  Because if so you and I are in the same boat.  I was sitting there thinking, "Who the hell is she?"

At first I didn't recognize her and thought she was Elizabeth. Then I figured out she had to be Mollie. There was a dark haired woman also. Was that Chelsea? Because if so, she looks very different.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, tvgoddess said:

At first I didn't recognize her and thought she was Elizabeth. Then I figured out she had to be Mollie. There was a dark haired woman also. Was that Chelsea? Because if so, she looks very different.

I am not sure.  It is weird, I can remember early boots from years ago but I cannot remember people from a season I just watched.  For instance, they should the final three from last season and I could not remember the winner's name and I could not remember the woman who made the final three.  The only name I could remember was Gavin because when the show was airing I was playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2 and there is a character in that game who is looking for his friend Gavin.  Therefore, through that association I always remember Gavin.

• Love 2

Are you sure? Maybe I am going crazy because I could swear they announced a Fan Fave award after Kellee was voted out and we were all hoping Janet would win it. I think you had to vote on Instagram? Or maybe I really have just lost my mind.

33 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Are you sure? Maybe I am going crazy because I could swear they announced a Fan Fave award after Kellee was voted out and we were all hoping Janet would win it. I think you had to vote on Instagram? Or maybe I really have just lost my mind.

Oh, maybe.  Honestly, the season just ended, and yet I remember very little of it already.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I didn't want any of the final 3 to win, so this was a disappointment to me, but watching Noura's face as she realized that nobody voted for her was priceless.

I wonder how Sia determines how much money to give? I realize it's her own money & she can give it or not how she wants, but she gave the black man $15,000 & the 2 white women $100,000. I can't imagine that that isn't going to become a thing on social media, especially right after a discussion about race.

The whole discussion with Kellee was awkward. I'm glad they talked about it though & admitted they didn't handle it right.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, GaT said:

I wonder how Sia determines how much money to give? I realize it's her own money & she can give it or not how she wants, but she gave the black man $15,000 & the 2 white women $100,000. I can't imagine that that isn't going to become a thing on social media, especially right after a discussion about race.

As this was airing, the conversation at my house...

My husband: “How come the black guy only got 15,000?”

Me: “‘Cause Sia’s racist.”

I was joking, but, yeah. It’s gonna be a thing.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

And unlike everyone else, I'm fine with Rob coming back as much as he wants.

You're not alone. I'm fine with it too. In fact, I'm fine with ANY returning player of substance. This way it doesn't take me 5 episodes to learn their names 😁

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I wonder how Sia determines how much money to give?

I felt slighted for Jamal too, but maybe Sia didn't intend to give out 3 prizes, but needed a 215K tax deduction...and put it together at the last minute 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 4

I know last season Sia was giving out various amounts to people, even after the show aired (I think she gave Joe around $20,000 to cut his hair for charity, and he donated that money to a cancer charity).  She gave Aurora something, too, that I think was around that figure.

My guess is, she probably thought Elaine really needed the money.  As for Janet, it could be that she loved what Janet stood up for and sacrificed her game for, and how she was voted out.  

I actually feel slighted for Jamal myself.  I didn't like him so much in the beginning, but when he was voted out he became one of my favorites.  I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a future season.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, LanceM said:

Jack is currently dating Elizabeth and the theory is that he skipped the Reunion to support her. But that is just people guessing since neither one of them has said anything on social media.

Missy was there.

Ugh! My opinion of Jack just plummeted.  How could anyone be with that disgusting thing?   

• Love 2

I hope the award money is not going to become a racial issue . Jamal was not in the game as long and it made sense for him to get less , i don’t see any black, white , green whatever about it . It’s her $ and not everything had to be boiled down to racism. Between that and immunity idols ,nullifiers and advantages and Dan, this season has been painful. But i am glad out of that 3 that tommy won. Dean to me is a snake, and Noura is just on another planet. But sad that Janet didn’t win 😞

Edited by nlkm9
Letter
  • Love 14