Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: What is our goal with this dialogue?

We aim to foster a kinder, more inclusive community. Suggesting extreme actions, even against fictional characters, detracts from this objective. Please focus on constructive and respectful discussions. 

• Start Topic

It's funny how a conversation about the police and racism gets people triggered, but when it comes to stuff like: Laura falling in love with her rapist, and murderers as the heroes of the show that skate etc. Those things are are somehow more permissible.

Although I will say the whole thing did feel hollow and contrived because it won't get AA characters any more story. They will still be regulated to the sidelines like they have been. And the police will still be incompetent in favor of the good mobsters like Jason and Carly. 

The Carly and Sam conversation was annoying. Mostly because I feel like they are skating around the real issue, which was Jason was actively ignoring Sam. He was pushing her out of things for months, and not answering her calls. This includes not letting her know right away what happened to Danny after the explosion. The danger thing was just brought in to make Sam look like a hypocrite so Jason could skate and move on and be the good guy. 

As for Willow, she simultaneously told Michael that she was trying to make it work with Chase, while also saying that she knew since they first slept together back in November that he was the one she wanted. Which is it? Both cannot be true and undercut each other. She should of told the truth back then.

It wasn't until Sasha walked in on them that she and Michael broke things off. Michael probably should've realized it was not a good idea to be playing games with a recovering drug addict earlier, but whatever. 

• Love 15
1 minute ago, sppa125 said:

It's funny how a conversation about the police and racism gets people triggered, but when it comes to stuff like: Laura falling in love with her rapist, and murderers as the heroes of the show that skate etc. Those things are are somehow more permissible.

Thank you for this. 

The show could also have given us a complete break from reality by pretending that HIV/AIDS isn't really a thing, that there aren't gay people, that women don't have careers, etc. It didn't. It's always had at least a foot in the real world and has reflected present-day concerns and changes. 

I enjoyed the scenes for Jordan/Portia and Cameron/Trina. I hadn't really thought about how fortunate Cameron was in that standoff, but it's true. In a real-world situation, a non-white kid might not have come out of that scene alive. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:
9 hours ago, nilyank said:

Maybe she thought that he would pull a Drew and leave the business for her and the kids.

But isn't that why she chose Jason over Drew, because he was still in the business and thereby more exciting?

Yep, and that Drew forced her to wear the Skirts of Oppression, the monster.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, sppa125 said:

And the police will still be incompetent in favor of the good mobsters like Jason and Carly. 

This is what was so frustrating. It was just shoehorned in as if TPTB wanted to say hey, we want to be racially sensitive but don’t want to spend any real time on this, so here’s a couple scenes about it.

I appreciated the conversation between Portia and Jordan, but unfortunately Jordan, just like every police chief before her, has been at best useless and at worse actively horrible (“what I wouldn’t give to have sonny’s insight right now” oh give me a break). So in her case I don’t think she is being unfairly judged because she’s a woman and African American. I didn’t really like her dragging Elizabeth either, since Liz is one of the few characters who doesn’t blindly bow to the Corinthi throne. I still appreciated the message though, especially the conversation between Trina and Cam.

Soaps used to tackle controversial issues all the time but now they shy away. To the point where Trina can’t even say the words I’m black and you’re white. Why is that?  No money/time to fully develop the stories?  Too divisive??  I’m curious. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:
10 hours ago, nilyank said:

Maybe she thought that he would pull a Drew and leave the business for her and the kids.

But isn't that why she chose Jason over Drew, because he was still in the business and thereby more exciting?

It was a little more complicated than that.  After all, Drew made her wear a skirt.

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, sppa125 said:

I wouldn't say permissible. I'm just a lurker and so can only comment on the state of the show from what I read here, but this thread alone is 277 pages long. If for some reason the mods suddenly deleted all of the posts complaining about Sonny and Carly and Jason, it would be about two hundred pages shorter, and I'm not sure I'm exaggerating. Now that Joss is following in her mother's self-centered footsteps, she's catching up to her elders in a hurry.

I would argue that if the show either can't or won't give the issue the focus it deserves, they should leave it alone. What annoys seems to be the shallow treatment of it, not the addressing of it at all. Dropping in two scenes amid all the endless mob crap only highlights how bad the writers are at Real Life subjects.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I would argue that if the show either can't or won't give the issue the focus it deserves, they should leave it alone. What annoys seems to be the shallow treatment of it, not the addressing of it at all. Dropping in two scenes amid all the endless mob crap only highlights how bad the writers are at Real Life subjects.

This right here. At least under other writers, the HIV/AIDS topic was treated with dignity and respect.

This show now? just treats topical issues like sexism, racism with just lip service. A one or two scene with Valerie-where Dante was shown to defend her--which led to their affair.

Now the conversation about police brutality, systemic racism within the police--coming from someone who is the most inept police commissioner and in bed with the local mob? Please. And pussyfooting around Chauvin's name? If you're going to write in the show what he did, then fucking have the balls to write his name.

Same with the conversation with Cameron and Trina. Why she couldn't say "because you and Joss are WHITE and privileged" or "because I'm Black" I still don't understand. And it was clunky and shoehorned in. 

Did Frank get a memo telling him he had to "address" it?

And that Jordan worries her son could be a target in Port Charles tells me she has officers who are racist and quick to pull the trigger.

The last competent commissioner this show had was Sean Donelly--because he and his PCPD were allowed to win against the bad guys. Mac, for all that he was a good one, always lost to Mooby. Anna's second turn as Commish was a failure because...kowtowing to Jason and Mooby.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

kowtowing to Jason and Mooby.

Everybody has to do that, and it gets discussed endlessly. (Luke and Laura aren't much of a topic anymore because Luke isn't around.)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Everybody has to do that, and it gets discussed endlessly. (Luke and Laura aren't much of a topic anymore because Luke isn't around.)

My point was that Anna's second turn as Commish had her doing that because those two have eaten the show. Back when Sean was Commissioner, Mooby had just joined the show, so good guys could win. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

• Love 5

I wasn't arguing your point, @GHScorpiosRule, merely stating that the police commissioner—regardless of who it is—isn't the only person in PC who has to bow down to the mighty Sonny Corinthos and his hit man sidekick. It's probably the biggest overall problem the show has.

Sean was a good PC because he had the luck of timing, as you noted. Had he come on after Sonny became a main character, he'd have been spectacularly ineffective, too.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I wasn't arguing your point, @GHScorpiosRule, merely stating that the police commissioner—regardless of who it is—isn't the only person in PC who has to bow down to the mighty Sonny Corinthos and his hit man sidekick. It's probably the biggest overall problem the show has.

Sean was a good PC because he had the luck of timing, as you noted. Had he come on after Sonny became a main character, he'd have been spectacularly ineffective, too.

100%.  That's why while I get the overall *idea* of what Jordan said about being judged in her position, for this show it really doesn't apply.  Whoever has the job of PC is going to look ineffectual, because the writing has made that the case for the last 20 years.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ah, okay. Sorry. I misread your comment. Sorry!

At least Mac, as chief of detectives has the freedom to tell them he doesn't give a fuck about them. So, yay?

• Love 1

I felt sorry for the 3 actresses who had to wade through that truly awkward dialog.  Trina's at least had some emotional resonance.**

It is an important message but deserved better handling. 

** by that I mean with Trina and Cam interacting. Jordan was weirdly zoned out in her conversation with Portia. I know she's processing but between the dialog and the acting choices, it felt off.

On the other hand,  I appreciate 2 women having a meaningful conversation about anything important.  At least they tried. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, sppa125 said:

Although I will say the whole thing did feel hollow and contrived because it won't get AA characters any more story. They will still be regulated to the sidelines like they have been. And the police will still be incompetent in favor of the good mobsters like Jason and Carly. 

I haven't felt like they are relegated to the sidelines.  Jordan and Curtis, Taggert , Portia, Trina.  Black characters on soaps are treated equally in that they are usually professionals and the interracial relationships aren't shown with issues that have anything to do with it.  It's as if it is an ideal land where there is no racism.  One is a doctor and the other a police commissioner.  

2 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

This is what was so frustrating. It was just shoehorned in as if TPTB wanted to say hey, we want to be racially sensitive but don’t want to spend any real time on this, so here’s a couple scenes about it.

Soaps used to tackle controversial issues all the time but now they shy away. To the point where Trina can’t even say the words I’m black and you’re white. Why is that?  No money/time to fully develop the stories?  Too divisive??  I’m curious. 

And Trina's problems come from the fact her father is a cop.  As shown on GH, the police commissioner is a black woman and Taggart is a cop/detective, so the characters here would be more attuned to the dangers to police and how they put their lives on the line everyday.  

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

10 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Whenever they try and insert some kind of virtue signaling political content it always feels forced and hamfisted.  This is not why people tune into this show.  In fact, and I doubt I’m alone in this, I watch this show to get away from that kind of crap.

I know a thousand other tv shows, and places on the internet to go if I want politics.  This ain’t one of them.  Give me more drama, spies, antics, and fabulous soap babes.

Exactly.  If they'd done a story about it, that would be different.  The story about TJ - was that even shown on screen?  And false accusation happens to the holy hitman, who is the character most often supposed to be the victim of cop injustice.  

The mini-she-beast realizes she is selfish.  But she only mentioned her volleyball team, not Cameron and how she ignores his loss to be judgmental about his not feeling the holy hitman's innocence.  What they should do with one of the mob kids is have them rebel rather than enable the mobsters.  There's more story in that.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I enjoyed the scenes for Jordan/Portia and Cameron/Trina. I hadn't really thought about how fortunate Cameron was in that standoff, but it's true. In a real-world situation, a non-white kid might not have come out of that scene alive. 

Very, very true. If they had ignored the racial issues, it wouldn't have rang true, though it was a bit awkwardly done. But let's face it, any young man of any color pointing a gun at the police commissioner after a shooting probably would get plugged by said police commissioner if she hadn't known him (but then, the PC probably wouldn't have been in that situation in the real world)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

I felt sorry for the 3 actresses who had to wade through that truly awkward dialog.  Trina's at least had some emotional resonance.**

It is an important message but deserved better handling. 

** by that I mean with Trina and Cam interacting. Jordan was weirdly zoned out in her conversation with Portia. I know she's processing but between the dialog and the acting choices, it felt off.

On the other hand,  I appreciate 2 women having a meaningful conversation about anything important.  At least they tried. 

This all sums up exactly how I felt watching.  I thought the specific dialog choices sounded really stilted, as if they’d look OK on paper but didn’t work as well on the screen.  It looked a couple of times like BNH (Jordan) was reading off of cue cards.

While the teen traffic stop was (I think) a retcon, I thought the discussion between Trina and Cam was more natural and WL in particular portrayed having his eyes opened to Trina’s perspective really well.

We were narrating snark and observing the inanimate objects (moss, apples) over the Carly/Joss “deep” conversation; it doesn’t sound like much new earth was overturned there.

The Carly/Sam conversation was...interesting.  I hope we’re not headed to a Sam/Jason reunion.

• Love 3
(edited)

Line of the day:

Jax to Carly:  I'm sure Josslyn doesn't appreciate her mother running an organized crime syndicate from her living room.  

Followed by: 

Jax:  I don't want Josslyn to be anything like you.

Me:  First, I'm pretty sure Josslyn would love to help dear old Mom run that organization and two, I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed and the two are peas in a pod.  

Dante showered, shaved, shorn and in a suit and tie is all kinds of HAWT Yowza!!

Can he arrest Sam for letting the air out of his tires and thereby preventing him from doing his duty as a police officer?  Because bitch needs to be arrested and her butt tossed in Rikers for all that attitude today.  

Edited by perkie1968
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11
16 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Dante showered, shaved, shorn and in a suit and tie is all kinds of HAWT Yowza!!

For the first time since DZ has been on GH, I actually saw a resemblance between him and MB when he wiped the mirror.

Dante never wore a suit for work as far as I remember, but he should wear them more. He looked good.

Also, that was a nice bathroom.

17 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Can he arrest Sam for letting the air out of his tires and thereby preventing him from doing his duty as a police officer?  Because bitch needs to be arrested and her butt tossed in Rikers for all that attitude today.  

I didn't even mind that she did what she did. That's stuff that early days Sam would have done before they tied her down to Jason. Honestly, her lip and hair bothered me more than her actions. Every now and then GH clips pop up on my YouTube feed. Last time I had a clip from back when Sam was pregnant with Danny and I just kept wondering what she had done to face. 

Carly can go and fuck right off about her general attitude but especially about her attitude when someone tells her the truth about herself. That entitled face that LW makes does Carly a lot of disservice. Yes, Carly, you could have run the coffee business, without the criminal enterprise. 

Sonny is dead, who in the hell is going to inherit the business? Not Michael because nobody wants him near the business. Dante is a cop so he's out of the question. Kristina? Invisible baby Donna? Avery?

Also, Jax, you're several years too late about not wanting Joss to be like her mother. The ship of entitlement and assholery sailed a long time ago. 

• Love 8

Shawn says he can’t feel remorse for a crime he didn’t commit...well maybe he should have thought about that before deciding staying loyal to Sonny was more important than his freedom.

Omg Sam on the hunt for Jason who couldn’t give two shits....woman you are embarrassing yourself. Go home. It’s also funny how everyone keeps reminding Sam she has children as if she forgot.  Normally I would find that insulting but in this case, I think Sam actually forgets.  Everytime someone mentions her children (Dante, Carly) she gets this look on her face like “Oh yeah.  Them.  Shit.”

I forgot how hot Dante could be!  Wowzers!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Shawn says he can’t feel remorse for a crime he didn’t commit...well maybe he should have thought about that before deciding staying loyal to Sonny was more important than his freedom.

Shawn IS guilty of attempted murder.  Sonny ordered him to kill Jake Doe (Drew).  Hayden and Drew were both in the garage when Shawn fired and Hayden was shot in the head.  It turns out that there was another shooter on the scene who was hired to shoot Hayden.  Shawn's shot missed Drew and the other shooter shot Hayden.  Shawn was charged with the attempted murder of Hayden when he was really attempting to murder Drew.  He was caught red handed by Jordan(?).  It does not matter who he was trying to kill, Shawn is still guilty of attempted murder.

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Omg Sam on the hunt for Jason who couldn’t give two shits....woman you are embarrassing yourself. Go home. It’s also funny how everyone keeps reminding Sam she has children as if she forgot.  Normally I would find that insulting but in this case, I think Sam actually forgets.  Everytime someone mentions her children (Dante, Carly) she gets this look on her face like “Oh yeah.  Them.  Shit.”

Her 'miracle babies' are almost as far down on her list of concerns as she is on Jason's.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

It’s also funny how everyone keeps reminding Sam she has children as if she forgot.

Given how vocal she was about wanting to protect them, I hope everyone continues to remind her. What a total idiot Sam is.

• Love 8

Jax vs. Carly re: Joss would kinda work if Joss wasn't 18 and walking around about "how she is an adult" now. (where my mother would point out ala Clair Huxtable, if you are an adult, little girl, then leave my house and go be an "adult." "

Everytime Joss opens her mouth, Carly comes out. How Jax is taking this so relatively calmly is beyond me considering they were married when all the stuff that should have ended relationships and re-drawn lines should have been cemented in stone (Micheal being shot in the head etc etc) - which i will have to say i am surprised this hasn't been used as a weapon more. Carly goes on and on how safe things are and someone just claps back about Micheal

• Love 4

Michael vs Chase

Boy vs Man

Boy body, face, hair vs super hot Chase 🔥

Ultra rich vs police officer salary

I'd pick Chase any day.

They are both decent, kind men but still...

Holy cow Dante! 🔥🔥🔥💕💕💕

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I wouldn't say permissible. I'm just a lurker and so can only comment on the state of the show from what I read here, but this thread alone is 277 pages long. If for some reason the mods suddenly deleted all of the posts complaining about Sonny and Carly and Jason, it would be about two hundred pages shorter, and I'm not sure I'm exaggerating. Now that Joss is following in her mother's self-centered footsteps, she's catching up to her elders in a hurry.

I would agree with that.  The problem in this case is that there was no nuance, the set up and dialogue was hamfisted, and it was just preachy monologuing.  They should have skipped it.

• Love 2

I wasn't major Chase and Willow fan (I am just not invested), but what made them work is that they felt real. They shared an apartment, Willow is a teacher, Chase is a cop. A normal young couple, and sometimes that is nice to have in a sea of crazy. LL's Georgie and SC's Dillion functioned in much the same way in the aughts (though it went o shit when Guza discovered how popular they became.) 

• Love 4

LOL that Carly as mob boss is busier than Sonny or Jason ever seemed to be.

Sam's behavior recently should be enough for Dante to want to steer well clear of her as a possible romantic partner.

1 hour ago, IDFfm0870 said:

Jax found his cojones with Carly. Finally. Took him only 15 years.

He has these moments every so often, but nothing changes.

Ugh, Joss is such a buzzkill. "Hi, Trina. Sad trombone, I decided to go to PCU."

• Love 4

Trina is the bright spot in GH for me. I love the actress and the character. I wish they'd give her better friends lol.

I was terrified the opening shower scene was going to be some sort of Michael/Willow thing, so thank you Dante.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

Sam's behavior recently should be enough for Dante to want to steer well clear of her as a possible romantic partner.

Amen.  I hope today was the last straw.  He seemed disgusted with her, and for good reason.

So now she's going to go on the run with Jason?  Funny had thoughts of her kids are fleeting, at best.  Besides the immediate physical danger, absolutely no thought that her parole could be revoked. 

• Love 3

I like Dante's Serpico look, but he is smoking hot all suited up too. His hair was so shiny and silky. He should tell Sam what conditioner he uses. 

Don't care how many times the show tries to convince me that Willow and Michael can barely contain their desire to fuck each other ~they are about as hot as frozen tater tots!  

It's still lame to me that Curtis dumped Jordan. Next he will dump Portia for not telling him about her patients. (I know, Jordan kept more from him than work stuff.)

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

Trina is the bright spot in GH for me. I love the actress and the character. I wish they'd give her better friends lol.

She is. She should have better friends and a storyline to do with her, not Joss or Cam. 

I was terrified the opening shower scene was going to be some sort of Michael/Willow thing, so thank you Dante.

I feel you. I thought the same thing. I thought it was Michael until I saw the tattoo. I went from thinking that a puke bucket was needed to being surprised that Dante no longer looked like a caveman. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, Joss is such a buzzkill. "Hi, Trina. Sad trombone, I decided to go to PCU."

aka "i couldn't get off the waitlist."

good.

4 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

her parole could be revoked. 

I hope it is. It serves her right for being such an asshole.

I would also enjoy seeing her in the Port Charles wing with her mother and Shawn. Heh.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Trina's excited to go to PCU and Joss acts like it's a punishment.  Why Trina puts up with her is a mystery.

Also, I know it's the writing (mostly), but LW's choices in facial expressions make Carly even more obnoxious and unlikable. 

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I like Dante's Serpico look, but he is smoking hot all suited up too. His hair was so shiny and silky.

Arghhhhhh I didn't PVR today!!!

56 minutes ago, seasons said:

Holy cow Dante! 🔥🔥🔥💕💕💕

49 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN Dante! He should wear a suit more often.

3 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I forgot how hot Dante could be!  Wowzers!

3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Dante showered, shaved, shorn and in a suit and tie is all kinds of HAWT Yowza

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME HERE!!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I would also enjoy seeing her in the Port Charles wing with her mother and Shawn. Heh.

Maybe she will. Alexis was wondering who her next cellmate would be.

• LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

Hah! Me, too. Then I was worried it would be stupid Peter. I was very pleasantly surprised. 

On another (pointless) note, I often wonder if I’m the only person who does not wipe the mirror with my hand after a shower. If I need to, I use a towel but everyone on tv seems to use their hand. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

OMG...same. I assumed there would be some lame 'Michael walks out of the bathroom in a towel, runs into Willow and the two gape at each other, trying and failing to generate heat.' 

So Dante was a nice surprise.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, sppa125 said:

Yeah no one has ever, ever spoken out against that stuff... Lol 

3 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Shawn IS guilty of attempted murder.  Sonny ordered him to kill Jake Doe (Drew).  Hayden and Drew were both in the garage when Shawn fired and Hayden was shot in the head.  It turns out that there was another shooter on the scene who was hired to shoot Hayden.  Shawn's shot missed Drew and the other shooter shot Hayden.  Shawn was charged with the attempted murder of Hayden when he was really attempting to murder Drew.  He was caught red handed by Jordan(?).  It does not matter who he was trying to kill, Shawn is still guilty of attempted murder

Yes! I don't know why some people think he shouldn't be in prison. He did try to kill Drew that day. He could have easily shot Hayden as well, if Nikolas didn't have someone do it. He also went to try to kill Franco in the past. 

• Love 6

OK, the thing that throws me out of the series every time - they do not have joint women's and men's prisons!  Not a thing!  Seriously - there is no women's annex at Ossining.  Once you're sentenced to prison (not jail, prison) it's same sex all the way, which is why there are transgender considerations.  Really people, just have Pentonworth and some women's prison called Crawford or something.

• Love 4

Helloooooooooo Dante!!! Though of course he looked like he had a one day shadow!😂 But still preferable over his Covid look.

The only good thing Jax has to say today was to MiniSheBeast that just as she was on a waitlist, there were others who were also waitlisted at the colleges she got in, and that she needs to let them know she won’t be attending them so that those on the waitlist can get in.

Ans what does she do? Pout. Did something happen offscreen? Clearly she still wants to go to SCU, but is pissy about being waitlisted. I don’t think it bothers her at all that her Shrew of a mother is now “running da bidnez”.

The other things Jax said to SheBeast was too little, too late.

Trina deserves better friends.

Not only is Shawn an incompetent hit man, he’s also colossally stupid. But par for the course, all minions must remain loyal to Mooby, no matter what.

Too bad Jason didn’t hug Britt-that would have made for a better ending today.

Hoping that Dante has a spare at least. Or did Sam let the air out on all his tires?

• Love 4
(edited)

I hate Curtis right now. Even Portia says what a good cop Jordan is, and all he does is go over and give her divorce papers.

I thought KT did a wonderful job of Britt's and vulnerability and fears of having HD.  And she could have continued too, if Sam hadn't shown up.

10 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

What they should do with one of the mob kids is have them rebel rather than enable the mobsters.  There's more story in that.  

They did that with Dante and look at him now. I think that Kristina rebelled for a brief moment with Johnny but she's mob-worshipping now too.

5 hours ago, IDFfm0870 said:

Jax found his cojones with Carly. Finally. Took him only 15 years.

Here's hoping that it will last 15 days but I'm not holding my breath.

4 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I wasn't major Chase and Willow fan (I am just not invested), but what made them work is that they felt real. They shared an apartment, Willow is a teacher, Chase is a cop. A normal young couple, and sometimes that is nice to have in a sea of crazy. LL's Georgie and SC's Dillion functioned in much the same way in the aughts (though it went o shit when Guza discovered how popular they became.) 

This is what soaps used to be back in the day -- normal people, some working class, some professionals, having problems that normal people have. Yes, there were some rich people for the fantasy but most characters were, not criminals.

3 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I was saying "please don't be Michael and Willow, please don't be Michael and Willow." Somehow I feel like nausea is not what the writers are aiming for.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

Black characters on soaps are treated equally in that they are usually professionals and the interracial relationships aren't shown with issues that have anything to do with it.  It's as if it is an ideal land where there is no racism.  One is a doctor and the other a police commissioner.  

And Trina's problems come from the fact her father is a cop.  [...]

Exactly.  If they'd done a story about it, that would be different.  The story about TJ - was that even shown on screen? 

I gotta disagree with most here on several points in regards to the scenes yesterday with Portia and Jordan, and Trina and Cam.

1. It doesn't matter that Taggart is a cop, Jordan is the commissioner, Portia is a doctor or that Trina is a child of reasonably well-off parents. It's about the color of their skin. That was a big point of both of the conversations.

2. Trina's story wasn't actually a retcon because back then we barely got Trina's point of view. She told Cameron that him and Joss had no clue how she was feeling. Viewers didn't either. The focus was on Joss, Oscar and Cam, but remember, at the point, Cam was even secondary to those two. Trina was barely a blip. 

3. I absolutely do not agree with anyone who says that Jordan and Portia aren't friends. They aren't like great buds or anything, but we've seen them reach out to one another in difficult times, console and confide in one another several times. They are definitely friends. And as two black women discussing a highly charged situation that were the races different would almost certainly result in a different outcome especially in today's climate, them NOT talking about it would have been what didn't make sense.

4. Re: The above quoted asking if we even saw that story with TJ? Yes, we did actually. It was when Tequan Richmond was still in the role. The story took place over a few months (I believe) and dealt with the unfair racist treatment that TJ received.

5. I read another board and several AA viewers commented on how much they appreciated the scenes, didn't find them preachy, out of place and thought them similar conversations that they have had themselves.

6. We want character driven scenes. These were character driven scenes. And they didn't come out of nowhere. See number 3. A highly volatile situation took place, one involving guns and a cop. It wouldn't have made sense for two black mothers with teenage children to NOT discuss it. It also wouldn't have made sense for a black teenager who has been taught how to act a certain way around cops to NOT react that way to what her white teenage friend told her.

Sometimes, GH actually does get it right.

Edited by driver18
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

That Jax comment to Carly about hoping Josslyn doesn’t turn out like her was at least a decade too late. Your daughter is already a carbon copy of her mother and sees nothing wrong with this lifestyle. Also, Carly has always been terrible so he had some serious blinders on for the last 15 years. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Sometimes, GH actually does get it right.

They got the sentiment right but I still think the dialog was gods awful. I was fascinated (not in a good way) at how tortured it was by avoiding the words black and white. 

I came of age in the 70s and sadly, we really did think that we had solved racism. So I did like that part. 

• Love 4

I thought DZ looked great when he was all scruffy but then he changed into all Men in Black. Damn! Cleaned up Dante in his suit was on 🔥. That said, did Dante ever dress like that before when he worked on the PCPD before? I thought he just wore jeans and a Henley shirt. I’m glad DZ is back and doesn’t have to work with MB. Unfortunately, he has to work with KM now. 

• LOL 2