Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

That's what I thought about too. Like right away. 

My first thought was she's finding out about a serious illness/complication of her drug overdose.

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But of course she demanded that Britt has to save him and in typical fashion,

That was stupid, did she really think Britt would just watch Jason bleed to death after he saved her from Cyrus' minions. Britt was in charge; Carly basically shut up and did what she was asked/told which was just shocking to me.

5 hours ago, driver18 said:

Cam/Lipton is clearly a young favorite. He's gonna get big storylines. 

And, really, if you look at it one way, it's Jason's fault he got shot. If he had just told Cam the truth instead of his whole cold stone act, Cam wouldn't gave gone after him.

He is a young favorite, but this narrative for his character screams inauthentic in my opinion. 

I agree. however after Cam was traumatized from being kidnapped and having a gun pointed at him when he fell, no way do I believe he would deliberately pick up a gun and shoot someone, unless his mother or one of his brothers was in immediate danger (i.e. a hostage situation). 

5 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

when Carly acted like Monica would want to come over to Sonny's house as if she has no reason to be angry at him.

eh, Carly is fairly openly delusional and also suffers from Soap Opera selective memory loss.

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But Cam already knows the truth about Franco. He used to hate him and it’s only recently he slowly accepted him. Then he started loving him when Franco took his place when Shiloh scrambled his memories. 

Yes, this is why Cam's rage doesn't fit. If Franco had been raising Cam and the boys since, say, within a year after JJ's Lucky left town, I could understand Cam calling Franco his hero, etc. It was only a few years ago that Cam gave Franco crap to his face about being a serial killer who wasn't going to stick around. In time, he grudgingly accepted Franco because his little brothers adored Franco and because he wanted his mother to be happy. The truth is that Franco was their live-in father figure/stepdad for less than four years.

Cam is angry that he did not have a stable father figure growing up, and that makes life more difficult as he is becoming a man.  He's hurting because he had love and acceptance from Franco and they were in a good place in their relationship, and now that is gone. He's heartbroken that the family life he and his brothers had has been shattered and that his mother is devastated. It felt to me like Cam's "hero and art therapist" line to Jason was meant to be a proxy for Jake, because Jake really did form a close relationship through art with Franco when Jake was having mental health issues. However, Hudson West is too young to be on-screen for enough time to carry this storyline. 

Cam's lines to Jason should have been something like, "How could you betray Jake's family?! How could you do this to my mom?!" Cam raging on behalf of his entire family, not himself, would make MUCH more sense.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 6

Cameron switched from being resentful of Franco to appreciating him when Cameron was kidnapped and the Evul Doctor was going to implant Drew's memories in him and Franco stepped up instead.

Cameron sees it as Franco sacrificed himself for Cameron, that he was a hero then. That's a powerful inducement to start thinking that Franco is someone special.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Cameron switched from being resentful of Franco to appreciating him when Cameron was kidnapped and the Evul Doctor was going to implant Drew's memories in him and Franco stepped up instead.

Cameron sees it as Franco sacrificed himself for Cameron, that he was a hero then. That's a powerful inducement to start thinking that Franco is someone special.

They really bent over backwards to whitewash Franco. 

• Love 3

So, Cameron has blacked out that he shot Jason, right? Does that mean there is a possibility that someone was behind Cameron and actually shot Jason? I’m confused. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Yes, but that just shows Cam's lack of life experience with a stable, loving, long-term devoted father.  Cam had never seen selfless love like that demonstrated for himself from a male role model. It wasn't heroic; it was what any parent who wants to save their kid would do. 

The only other time I can think of for Cam seeing a male adult do something noteworthy for him was when Drew stood up in court to defend Cam for the weed incident, and called Cam "my hero."

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, seasons said:

Scott Baldwin is such a great character. I've always liked Kin Shriner. Wish he were on more often. 

Scott is a character similar to Tracy for me.  In the sense that the portrayer is so charming, I want to see everything they have to say.  

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Good gracious me, that Carly walking into the meeting of the 5 families with her fancy shoes and her fancy dress to stomp around to the chair at the head of the table. What a woman! Who has no idea what happens with the 5 families or their businesses or what they do or who they employ or anything about them because Sonny always kept her out of it. This is so laughable and ridiculous. We are being insulted, people.

It's wild how the show has done this for years.  A strong woman is someone who's loud, approving of violence, and with a veneer of toughness a mile wide and millimeter deep.  Of course that's Carly, and you can't *really* be strong unless you're her or try to emulate her.  

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Yes, but that just shows Cam's lack of life experience with a stable, loving, long-term devoted father.  Cam had never seen selfless love like that demonstrated for himself from a male role model. It wasn't heroic; it was what any parent who wants to save their kid would do.

But Cameron doesn't know that so it's not really surprising that he thinks of Franco as a kind of hero. As Scott said, Cameron's been short-changed in the father department. Not to mention that it was Franco who was Jake's father-figure in the last few years, not Jason so of course he rates Franco higher than Jason.

I wonder if Carly would be willing to have her personality and her memories erased to spare Josslyn.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed yesterday’s show. Despite the obvious budget limitations (how many times can you show people running up and down the same staircase?), I found it suspenseful and full of satisfying, Britt-to-the-balls action. Please don’t kill her, Show. 

I’m puzzled as to what’s happening with Cameron, and specifically William Lipton’s acting. Lately, he’s really been leaning into the snarling/ spitting OTT rage and the Crazy Eyes, and I’m wondering if he’s supposed to appear unhinged or if it’s just a weird acting choice. A few pages back, someone wondered if some Maurice Benard tutoring was throwing him off course. If Cam starts hurling barware, I guess I’ll know all hope is lost.

7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Brick's medical collection was so complete, he even had anaesthetic gas for an operation. 

There was no anesthesia. Carly fretted about Jason being passed out, then said it was for the best because otherwise he would be awake through the surgery. But of course he wouldn’t need the gas anyway, because he’s Jason and he’s Just That Tough.

Britt looked disappointed when Jason’s first words after coming to were “Where’s Carly?” Better learn now, Girl! Sam can tell you all about it.

Scotty’s pineapple hairdo was in peak form today. And so many spray tans! Jason, Carly and Britt were all looking extra bronze. Group discount?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But of course she demanded that Britt has to save him and in typical fashion,

That was stupid, did she really think Britt would just watch Jason bleed to death after he saved her from Cyrus' minions.

Seriously. Britt is a doctor; saving him is her fucking job. Shut up, Carly.

2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

There was no anesthesia. Carly fretted about Jason being passed out, then said it was for the best because otherwise he would be awake through the surgery.

That line was was weird, because why was Jason wearing a mask, then? What were they giving him if not an anesthetic?

After watching today’s episode I’m unsure about the Cam situation. He’s clearly traumatized, but unless I missed something we still haven’t seen him actually fire the gun at Jason, so maybe this is some kind of crazy fakeout after all.

At least Carly’s not the only female mob boss sitting at the table. I’m sure Ms. Wu will get all of four lines tomorrow, but I hope her business is 50 times more profitable than the Corinthos family’s. Hey, Carly, how profitable is your business? Oh right, you have NO IDEA.

I’m kind of interested to see whether Carly’s just going to bullshit her way through the meeting or if she will have magically learned the ins and outs of the business and the Five Families while she was sitting at Jason’s bedside.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

So, Cameron has blacked out that he shot Jason, right? Does that mean there is a possibility that someone was behind Cameron and actually shot Jason? I’m confused. 

Yeah, after today I think that may be the twist! they go with. We're still waiting on the camera footage. Spinelli said everything was recorded but there can just as easily be a glitch and everything is wiped making Cam's innocence harder to prove. Although, one test for gun residue on Cam should clear things up quickly. But this is GH, basic forensics are often omitted. 

• Love 2

I'm thinking ( re: Jason's shooting) that the security video cuts out and doesn't show Cam shooting the gun. But the gun he held was the gun that shot Jasus. So Jasus will lie and say the dead bad guy shot him, saving Cam from prison, and ( of course) teaching Cam that Jasus is the good and kind mobster ( blech).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

But Cam did shoot in Jason's direction with that gun he picked up and then Jason felt the bullet hit him as he helped Britt into the car. There is going to be gun residue on Cam and forensics was on the scene. If Spin is right, the camera feed is going to show what happened and that will be that Cam picked up the gun and aim at Jason and appears to have shot him in the back.

8 hours ago, lala2 said:

I didn’t think it was clear. He picks up the gun. They go back to Jason and Britt running and then the shot goes off. Soooo. . . . . it is entirely possible someone else shot Jason. I don’t think Cameron was lying today. We’ll just have to wait and see how it plays out! 

How about they test Cam for gunpowder residue?  Yeah, I know.  None of the geniuses at the PCPD tested Jason, so why even ask?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

How about they test Cam for gunpowder residue?  Yeah, I know.  None of the geniuses at the PCPD tested Jason, so why even ask?

They are going to test him for gun residue. It’s one of the things Jordan said they would do to determine if Cameron did shoot. Right now, he’s charged with killing the minion, Pine. Not shooting Jason.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, Chanandler said:
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

There was no anesthesia. Carly fretted about Jason being passed out, then said it was for the best because otherwise he would be awake through the surgery.

That line was was weird, because why was Jason wearing a mask, then? What were they giving him if not an anesthetic?

Looked like an oxygen mask. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

So the meeting of the 5 families had only 4 families plus special guest Cyrus, or did I miscount?

I still don't understand how a town the size of Port Charles supports 5 mobs.  And why it isn't way more violent than it is.  I mean, it's plenty violent, but that's just usually because of random serial killers and rapists.  Not mob related violence.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I still don't understand how a town the size of Port Charles supports 5 mobs.  And why it isn't way more violent than it is.  I mean, it's plenty violent, but that's just usually because of random serial killers and rapists.  Not mob related violence.

I think it's the East Coast. I THINK.

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Well, in that case, I don't understand how  Sonny has influence that goes further than 10 miles outside of PC.

• LOL 6
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:
16 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Well, in that case, I don't understand how  Sonny has influence that goes further than 10 miles outside of PC.

That's been the schtick for decades now--that Sonny is the leading crime boss of the eastern seaboard, which is absurd given all the things he supposedly won't transport (guns and drugs being the big two).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Can't they pretty much solve this (2nd gun theory) with testing the gun Cam had and the bullet?  I assume the bullet is on scene because they didn't show Britt extracting it and dropping it into a stainless steel tray*.

*provided by Brick

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

The idea, during the Guza days, was that it was pretty much the 'Five Families' - five Italian mob bosses of New York, the kind you usually encounter in wiseguy films set in New York City (TB's Carly even refers to them as 'wise guys' at one point during the story with Luis Alcazar). Sammy Tagliati and others who were not named. They usually met at Pozzulo's, which in those days was in a vaguely defined area. The only exception to that was the Escobar family, with both bosses of that family, Miguel and Juan, being killed by Jason (as Miguel suggested Sonny should be killed because he was causing trouble when Jason ousted him due to the Sonny/Emily relationship, and then Juan wanted revenge for his brother's death), and their territory being taken.

The Godfather-esque makeup of the Five Families primarily changed when RC took over, who included a Russian boss as a representative and Ms. Wu, but never actually explained anything about the current Wu family (it was basically a callback to the Asian Quarter storyline except without delving into current events, which is also why Brad's family was basically invisible).

Nothing about the Wu family has been explained. Admittedly, the Asian Quarter pretty much disappeared right after the story, and it was only dipped into in recent years, mainly for the scenes at the restaurant Noodle Buddha, to say that Jason is a 'dragon,' because of course. 🙄

If you're trying to make sense of it, you're probably making more of an effort than the writers ever did. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't know if the mob will make a comeback, like the Sopranos brought back the interest in the mob in 2000s, but the mob having such a heavy presence on this show makes it feel dated. Add to that Jason Morgan is technically an WASPish heir to a well off family, so he really doesn't need to pursue a life of crime, it makes the entire presence feel particularly frustrating. Even after Sopranos wrapped and MB were well into his forties, Guza would swear up and down on how essential the mob was to GH, while neglecting the hospital portion of the show. Even when GH brought in the Dallas/Dynasty touches to GH in the 80s, they did it through Alan, who was a doctor. The closest we have is Lucas Jones, who is barely recurring.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 5

I thought the meeting was of the Five Families - and Cyrus was going to attend as well. Has Cyrus always been one of the 5? Because including Carly and Cyrus there were 5 people at the table.

I'm so confused about how the mob works.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

That's been the schtick for decades now--that Sonny is the leading crime boss of the eastern seaboard, which is absurd given all the things he supposedly won't transport (guns and drugs being the big two).

Under Guza and RC it was only drugs, and now it's guns, but the anti-gun stance the new regime has makes no sense considering how they still play around with guns on the show. I agree that it's absurd, but even putting aside the lack of realism or credibility about Sonny's current business I'd say it's due to how the story frames the 'accomplishments' of Sonny and Jason. Their schtick is silly because it's always the same story - a powerful foe comes around (Moreno or Sorel), it's made to appear that victory would be difficult if not next to impossible (Lorenzo or Anthony), and then victory is easy because the foe is dumbed down to make such an accomplishment possible.

When Sonny and Jason gain their victory completely unearned, why should anyone care when they win? And after two decades it's become even more boring and uninteresting because you can see the story beats a mile away. The only person who seems invested in these mob stories is MB, who seems to dismiss anyone who mentions how Sonny never pays for his crimes as "Sonny haters" and thinks that the same storyline that was done to death when Guza was still around is the story that should dominate the show, no matter how many viewers this alienates.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

the mob having such a heavy presence on this show makes it feel dated

It really does, especially because the writing is so bad. The same three stories get told over and over. Zzzz.

• Love 9

The look of disgust on Dante's face when he found Carly in the "meeting room" spoke volumes.  Sonny's "death" is her chance to get herself and her children away from the violence of mob life.  Instead Carly doubles down and takes over the mob.  Her children have been killed and injured due to mob violence but she doesn't care.  Carly loves the privilege and power of mob life more than she loves her own children, including her toddler.  I hope Dante rips into Carly for being so selfish and for being a pitiful excuse for a mother and human being.  She had an out from this life and she did not take it.

• Love 19

On today's episode of The Sopranos General Hospital:

It is striking that there was nothing ... nothing... on today's show that wasn't about the Corinthos mob family. The closest that they came to medical was Britt treating Jason's bullet wound.

I'm tired of Jax pussyfooting around how illegal and dangerous Sonny's mob is when he talks to Joss. She's an adult now, it's time to stop protecting her tender feelings and get real.

Jason and Sonny both really infantalize Carly and keep her from growing up.

I would have appreciated Carly taking charge in the meeting and beating Cyrus because it's about damn time that she moved beyond being so needy for her men. But the focus on Carly has been done to death on this show and I hate seeing her again and again.

I wonder if Cameron is going to go after Peter August now. I don't want him to get hurt but it would be a refreshing change from the mob focus.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, nilyank said:

But Cam did shoot in Jason's direction with that gun he picked up and then Jason felt the bullet hit him as he helped Britt into the car. There is going to be gun residue on Cam and forensics was on the scene. If Spin is right, the camera feed is going to show what happened and that will be that Cam picked up the gun and aim at Jason and appears to have shot him in the back.

In the real world yes.  But this is the GH world, where an amnesiac interacts with medical professionals and law enforcement, but no steps are taken to find the identity of the individual.  Maybe they could have Charlie Day reprise his role from ‘Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ to act as an expert witness on Bird Law to save the day.

So what I'm taking from Carly's impeccable performance with the Five Families today was that this should have been her plan all along, and the nonsense with springing Jason from custody accomplished nothing but a shit-ton of drama for a whole bunch of people, Carly included. Like, good job, lady. You wore a nice dress and convinced everyone at the table your voice had weight. You couldn't have done that instead of setting in motion a series of events that got your best friend seriously injured (second time in a week!), implicating yourself and your buddy Brick as criminal accessories, and ensnaring Cam in the crossfire? I hate her so damn much, for real. At least maybe she won't have any time to savor her victory if she's having to frantically call Diane to get Dante off her back. (Get her, Dante!)

Meanwhile, I'd give anything for "Mike" to take a tumble, knock himself senseless, and come to as Sonny. Yeah, that's where I'm at with this: I want Sonny to be Sonny again. Nixon Falls, Phyllis, the Tan-o, they've all broken me and I want Sonny back, making mealy-mouthed threats and throwing barware when he's angry. The amnesia plot has gone absolutely nowhere, there's no chemistry with Nina, and Elijah is a generic one-note smarmy bad guy. Please make it stop.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

It makes perfect sense when you consider that the most-traded commodity in New York State is gummi bears.

• LOL 7

Nina knows Sonny. She's seeing Mike become peevish Sonny. He's jealous of Elijah? The childishness of it is so stupid. And Nina is supposed to be charmed by this. UGH. This guy is bad news no matter what his name is, Nina. Go back to Port Charles and tell everyone you've seen Sonny and let them take it from there.

I think Cam overhearing Elizabeth and Scott talking about Peter being the real shooter was the right way for him to find out. It was also nicely soapy.

• Love 7

Add me to the group confused about there being only four families at the five families meeting (plus Cyrus).  Loved Carly’s dress and shoes, I only wish she had pulled her hair back.

You know, if/when Sonny finally comes back Carly and everyone else should he HELLA PISSED that he did squat to try and find out who he actually was.  I mean, he was wearing a wedding ring.  Wouldn’t a normal person be curious about that??  Maybe he has a wife, maybe even children??  But no, I’ll just tend to this bar and pretend I’m a newborn baby with no past whatsoever.  It’s absurd.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, CharethCutestory said:

Yeah, after today I think that may be the twist! they go with. We're still waiting on the camera footage. Spinelli said everything was recorded but there can just as easily be a glitch and everything is wiped making Cam's innocence harder to prove. Although, one test for gun residue on Cam should clear things up quickly. But this is GH, basic forensics are often omitted. 

I did forget about gun residue. That said, he could have still fired the gun but someone else could have actually shot Jason. I’m getting a headache.

• Love 2

Cameron has had a really traumatic couple of years. Kidnappings, almost blown up, two friends dying, finally gets a reliable father figure (I know, blech Franco) and then he gets killed. Now he's full of rage, picking up guns and blacking out. Liz, get your kid to Dr. Collins ASAP! At this rate he'll be in Ferncliff by summer. 

• Love 3

Cam should still be on the hook for illegal discharge of a firearm, but Jordan said she expected to drop all the charges, so whatever, I guess. Get him that counseling, Liz- he needs it.

I wonder why we’re still not being shown the security footage. Budgetary reasons, or they still haven’t decided who the real shooter is?

Oh, Britt. Swooning about how Jason saved your life and promising to keep his secrets is step one down the slippery slope.

All hail Mob Queen Carly, sigh. Thanks to Cyrus for acting like a total toddler to sabotage his chances and make her look good. Here’s hoping Dante chews her out tomorrow.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Wasn't Cameron already seeing Kevin?  I seem to remember a scene where Liz sent him off to Kevin's office after Franco died.

No that was for after he’d been kidnapped by Cyrus. And he only went to one session.

Then again, I haven’t really been paying attention.

• LOL 1
13 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's a waste of effort for Dante. Carly won't listen and she won't care.

honestly the only people who would probably make a dent in that would be her own children, and she's got them all properly brainwashed so..

• Love 5
On 4/24/2021 at 8:52 PM, Scrapple said:

Sure Carly cares about town safety. I mean that includes her family.  The Nik thing is stupid bc Nik knows better than what he's doing. He's being impulsive.  Can someone else be mayor please ?? I mean who would of thought Laura to be a good mayor anyway?? Has she ever worked? ever?? any fucking public service work at all?? does she even have a degree? Let me guess nursing, which is a great job and certainly hero's work but that's not Laura. She's a professional outlaw last I checked. Anyway she needs to help some folks out like Sean, Jason, and Alexis since she has direct jurisdiction over Penitentiaries.

But Folks I sought out some like minded friends to vent over this fucking insane plan of Nina's. What the bloody hell?? What is her plan? Where is the writing going with this? A Sonny/Nina love story? Like NOOO. And what is supposed to be going on within her head? How does this work in her head? I thought the Sonny thing was for him to take some time off but it's just not good an a waste, a way to bring in Eli maybe? The rest of the town isn't GH cannon now. Back to Nina. What does she think happens when Sonny's memory comes back and she's with him? People forget because he's The Man, and nice, but he's also a stone cold killer and best friends that are too. Not to mention a wife that is just looking for an excuse to beat her down and keep her away from Wyzzle (Wilee). believe me that is on tap for her if she doesn't take him home. Where??? she can be a fricken hero and in his favor, plus access to Wyzzle.  Instead we just have this insane plot that can only be called delusional at best. I mean why Nina? why?? Am I the only one thinking this ?

26 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's a waste of effort for Dante. Carly won't listen and she won't care.

Oh, I know it won’t get through to her, but I’d just like him to say it for me.;)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Scrapple said:

Can someone else be mayor please ?? I mean who would of thought Laura to be a good mayor anyway?? Has she ever worked? ever?? any fucking public service work at all?? does she even have a degree? Let me guess nursing

Nope, no degree.  And she's only Mayor because her CRIMINAL GRANDSON tampered with the voting machines and has never been held accountable for it. /never letting that go.

Carly today was just obnoxious beyond belief.  And of course these career criminals just wimped out and bowed down to her.  Sure.  And looks like tomorrow she's back to screeching at Jax. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

So now will Cameron go running around asking for proof that Heinrik killed Franco, when he didn’t need that when he “knew!” Jason had killed him?

That “meeting” was such a joke-even for this show. So SheBeast just has to make vague threats and act like a teacher-asking the other supposed mafia dons/doness? Dona? will they let him take over? That was one big giant bluff. And Cujo can still lie with a straight face which makes the whole “I can’t lie about what happened with Nelle!” so much more ridiculous.

And why is Britt acting as if she’s never been a fugitive? I seem to recall her being on the run before she turned herself in? Got caught and went to prison.

• Love 2