Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, I’m confused. The category is Authors, but it’s a woman??? And the the “other one” is also a “lady”? Is this the end of the world?

i shouldn’t joke - I think this is the last new episode they had in the can. 😞

Right?  I was shocked, shocked, I tell you! to see that the author was a "woman author" without having the category tell me beforehand.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Do you think they would have accepted "mirror sunglasses" instead of reflective?  Because that's what I said.

My first thought was "man with no eyes" sunglasses, from "Cool Hand Luke."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Maya Angelou never occurred to me.  Toni Morrison was an instaget, and when Alex said we had a choice, I honestly couldn't think of anyone except Toni Morrison.   

I surprised myself by getting all the cars right, including the TS of Mercedes.  I also got mixed metaphor, lungs, spleen, and cyber.  Do you think they would have accepted "mirror sunglasses" instead of reflective?  Because that's what I said.

The hubby & I both said Mirrored sunglasses too 🙂  My hubby was pleased to get all the car clues.  So now does the winner have to wait for who knows how long, until they start filming again?

"Authors" being about a woman was a pleasant surprise and a good way to end the season, I think.

I think there's a little more info here than there was the last time I posted this link, so check it out if you want to know who you can see (or avoid) over the next three weeks.

• Love 1

I debated between Morrison and Angelou. I ended up with Morrison since her passing seemed more recent, but it's hard to tell these days.. 

55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I have lost all concept of time.

I suspect it's not just us either.

I said mirrored sunglasses too. I'm guessing they would have accepted it.. 

Got cyber, mixed metaphor, and lungs. 

• Love 2

When I saw the FJ category, I said well, it's some guy. Then the pronoun "she" was in the clue, and I was all "Whaaaa?" And the answer was a black woman on top of that. I think the writers knew this was the last FJ of the season so tossed all the Woman Author complainers a bone.

Happy end of Season 36 everyone.

• Love 5

I can't believe the game started with cerebrum as a TS.  Lungs was a surprising TS as well; these people do not know their bodies!

I'm a wee bit disturbed I ran the celebrity exes category.  I was pleasantly surprised to run the classic cars category and flat-out shocked to run kings and troops.  I didn't miss any in the first round, but the movie villains category kept me from running DJ; the only one I knew was Speed.  Still, only four misses the whole game (FJ was an instaget) means I ended the season on a high note.  Good for me.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Apologies to @peeayebee if it was wrong to apply a LAUGH icon to your post of that picture.

If I can bring a laugh to your day, I am happy.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Do you think they would have accepted "mirror sunglasses" instead of reflective?  

I first said aviator, then when that was ruled incorrect, I said mirrored sunglasses.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, I’m confused. The category is Authors, but it’s a woman??? And the the “other one” is also a “lady”? Is this the end of the world?

When the category was revealed, I said to myself, "At least I know it's not a woman."

I immediately came up with Morrison, though right afterwards I thought, Maybe it's Maya Angelou. I stuck with Morrison.

I got mixed metaphor and lungs.

(edited)

I was so off for FJ tonight. When I saw the name Oprah and that she called the author “magical” I thought, “Well Oprah had just made a well-publicized major film version of A Wrinkle in Time and I think that involves magic, so I’ll say the author of that book, what’s her name, L’Engel, that’s it!”

🤦‍♀️🤣 Whoops. (Looking online, she died in 2007.)

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 3

I thought of Angelou for a moment, but realized she had died before 2019. I didn’t realize how long it had been, though. I looked her up and the year  of her death was 2014. 

Does anyone know what’s coming after the ToC rerun? I wish they would rerun some 80s episodes instead of recent shows.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Yep.  I said mirrored aviators!  (I had a pair of those things when I was 14 - I thought I looked totally cool!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Yep.  I said mirrored aviators!  (I had a pair of those things when I was 14 - I thought I looked totally cool!)

I'm sure you did. I got that one, along with, lungs, spleen, mixed metaphor. My mind went to Maya for the final, but I knew it was wrong because of the date.

Your name and avatar make me smile. :)

Edited by nokat
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Maya Angelou never occurred to me.  Toni Morrison was an instaget, and when Alex said we had a choice, I honestly couldn't think of anyone except Toni Morrison.   

I surprised myself by getting all the cars right, including the TS of Mercedes.  I also got mixed metaphor, lungs, spleen, and cyber.  Do you think they would have accepted "mirror sunglasses" instead of reflective?  Because that's what I said.

I knew Maya Angelou died earlier than 2019 (how much earlier, I had no clue, I have real trouble placing things in a timeline these days). I started out with Isabel Allende (still alive, but I wasn't sure) and then I re-evaluated and finally said Toni Morrison (wasn't sure she was dead), because...Oprah.

The Mercedes was the only car I got right - growing up in Germany I apparently imprinted the way they name their car models. Which is the only thing that told me it was a Mercedes in that clue.

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess we get the winning games of all the people who were in the ToC starting today, then the ToC. Which means we get Puppy Abandoner Fenster AGAIN. Is this the third or fourth time for him. And another rerun of the same ToC we just saw. I wish the show would go back some years and show older episodes, I know they have them since they rerun late nights here. But they keep showing the same newer episodes ...

I'd love to see Brad Rutter's five episodes. Show, get in your time capsule and make that happen.

ETA: Turns out we don't even get the final winning games of these people, just one of the games they won. Like today, we get Gilbert's third game. Makes even less sense to me.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10
(edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 10:26 AM, saber5055 said:

I'd love to see Brad Rutter's five episodes. Show, get in your time capsule and make that happen.

Chuck Forrest. Or even Eddie the blind guy! Come on, everyone. Who's your "way back when" champion you want to see?

Edited by illdoc
Thought he was Jimmy. Turns out he was Eddie.
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Chuck Forrest. Or even Jimmy the blind guy! Come on, everyone. Who's your "way back when" champion you want to see?

I’d love to see original games from Battle of the Decades contestants. 

• Love 3
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:00 PM, DrScottie said:

Me, too.

I got FJ on Thursday - it seemed pretty obvious to me, and changed Friday's FJ answer to Toni Morrison in plenty of time to write it down.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Me, too.  As well as Chuck Forrest's games and Frank Spangenberg's.  Those 3 are my all-time favorite champions.

• Love 3

Happy end of Season 36 everyone.

Thanks, Saber5055. Same to you and the rest of my "family" here in Forum Land.

I'll try and communicate better, forum-wise, next season...if there is a next season. There has to be. They can socially distance (new verb) the jeptestants, right? They don't NEED an audience.

Meanwhile, my  history-mystery, The Horse Dancer, the novel I dedicated to the forum is finished and with my publisher. Except...my publisher is closed down for 3-6 months (or more), thanks to the pandemic, so I'm not even under contract yet :(

Mr. Author said Toni Morrison. I said Maya Angelou. Then I turned to Mr. Author and said, "Hey, you're not just a pretty face!"

Here, we are all pretty faces!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Seems to me they could start filming again with some simple changes. The contestants are already fairly far apart, they would just need to add plexiglass partitions in between. They could film without an audience & Alex doesn’t need to physically interact with the jeptestants (thanks to whomever coined that word!) I’m sure the crew & writers could make the appropriate changes as well. 

I would love to see some really old shows. The ones with Art Fleming or perhaps when Alex first started. That would be fun. 🤓

• Love 7
13 hours ago, LoreliLee said:

I would love to see some really old shows. The ones with Art Fleming or perhaps when Alex first started. That would be fun. 🤓

I was just thinking that. 

When I noticed my DVR wasn't recording, I recalled that the shows are in reruns. Maybe I should watch just in I remember all the right answers.

• Love 1

My earliest memories are of watching daytime Art Fleming J! with my mom, so I'd love to see some of those games. I'd also like to see Julia Collins' run again. I moved in the middle of it and missed a couple of games. It is 20 days long, though, so I don't know if they'd want to commit to that!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Meanwhile, my  history-mystery, The Horse Dancer, the novel I dedicated to the forum is finished and with my publisher.

Ooh, I love horses AND dancers. Let us know when it comes out so I can buy my copy.

18 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Here, we are all pretty faces!

And thank goodness for that. I have never looked better.

3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I'd also like to see Julia Collins' run again.

Same here. I also never saw Ken's games, except the reruns recently showed.

I still think Rachel looks like Tina Fey. Unusual wager on her part so I suppose that's why it was chosen. Her only real hope is that Rosie was wrong;. No one in the lead wants to leave because they didn't beat enough so it's usually a bet to protect against the one in second place from going all-in.. Jeff couldn't catch her anyway. 

I thought for sure the show was going to troll us with Ryan's puppy-abandoning interview story, but instead it decided to troll the players with that football category. I didn't think it was so hilarious or even funny since I detest football with the heat of a zillion suns, although I do know Landry coached the Cowboys. Sometimes I can't avoid even things I hate.

TPTB sure like to chat it up though. I guess any publicity is good publicity. I even had to like Ryan a LITTLE bit for not knowing anything about that stupid sport. Strange that other categories that go entirely unanswered are never publicized. But football? Blasphemy that everyone doesn't kneel at the feet of that god.

Yeah, I'm cranky today.

• Love 5

Hello all! This season of Jeopardy has ended and you can continue to discuss reruns in this thread or in the All Eps or ToC threads. When we hear about a date to the next season, I will lock this one and open a new one. Let me know if you comments or questions. Thank you. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Because I love you -- in the strictly platonic sense -- I am awarding the gift of today's game, July 1, 2020, to @lb60. Enjoy, my friend!

I don't like you!

In the strictly platonic sense!

;-)  

• LOL 4
3 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I don't like you!

In the strictly platonic sense!

I am, quite literally, laughing out loud, so hard that it took forever for my mouse to hold still so I could LOL your post.

(Insert more hysterical laughter here.)

I don't have a clue what that says about my personality. (And don't want to know, either.)

Happy James-Breaks-The-One-Day-Total Day everyone!

• Love 5

That was a really good game. I'd forgotten how well the third player did. The first round was the James and Emma show, but the third guy really made it a match in DJ. A fun watch.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2020 at 5:24 PM, Trey said:

I remembered Anneke but I did not remember that FJ.

I was in the studio, awaiting my turn, and I still didn't remember the answer to Final Jeopardy!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 7/4/2020 at 5:28 PM, j5cochran said:

I was in the studio, awaiting my turn, and I still didn't remember the answer to Final Jeopardy!

I remember you had met and knew Anneke. I was hoping your episode would have been replayed.

• Love 2

My quarantine brain couldn't remember the name of Pam Dawber, who played Mindy, but I beat the buzzer with "Who is Mrs. Mark Harmon?" Would that have been accepted?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2